Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Drogo

Most of these shows need a little time to find their stride. I was reasonably entertained by the pilot episode and will continue to watch. Hopefully the pilot was a chance to introduce most of the characters and now they can concentrate on fewer story lines in future episodes.

Others have mentioned needing a few looks to identify Ray Romano, he was easy for me. However, seeing "Vinnie Delpino" (from Doogie Howser) as an old dude with facial hair took me a little while. Good to see he's still getting work. Maybe they can bring NPH in for a cameo role, that'd be fun.

On regular shows "finding a stride" is perfectly reasonable argument, but I expect more from HBO. As it is, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be paying attention to. The business? The murder? The development of artists? The mob? I don't expect a show to telegraph punches, but I do expect it to not be so messy. This, to me, is especially applicable when the director is known to be a master of his craft.
  • Love 3

I think the mobster's statements that songs can't succeed without illegal manipulation is ridiculous. Great songs/artists are like procreation in Jurassic Park: A way will be found. Take songs on par with those of the Beatles, Stones, etc. Radio stations would go out of business if they didn't play those. It's always PO'd me when the influence of the mob in music is exaggerated like that - it's generally a way for "squares" to diminish modern music they don't "get". Usually, junky songs won't make it far no matter how much the mob pushes them ... neither will lousy musicians/singers. There may be a few exceptions on some borderline stuff, but for the most part this is true.

It was an odd, very loooong music video, I could see the building collapse since the beginning but they had to tell how he got there. They want to do another "Empire" with full songs and all, if I wanted to see that I just view the original artists' videos on youtube or something.

Olivia Wilde playing another bisexual character? (from the looks with that woman), typecast much?

• Love 1

The only thing I liked was them featuring the Abba song "Ring Ring" which is one of my favorites of theirs. I always think it would be great to hear that song during a gun battle or action scene. As the second season Halloween episode of Community has shown Abba songs playing against something like zombies attacking or any crazy violent situation works surprisingly well!

Edited by VCRTracking

Not super impressed, but hanging in for now. I hate when writers don't do their homework, and language and/or references don't ring true. For example, I don't remember saying "Too soon?" at that time, as was done with the Anne Frank reference. And ADC's character referencing "Connecticut...with its Lyme Disease". I looked up the timeline, and

that reference was a bit too early, unless you were working for the CDC perhaps! Such mistakes take me right out of the story.

• Love 4

I put off watching this until tonight. My boyfriend's brother was a 70's A&R guy and I grew up in NJ. This is my era. It was a little strident for me although Cannavale can do no wrong. The wardrobe was a little over the top extreme. I liked it but I didn't enjoy it, if that makes sense.

The cocaine was all over the place. My boyfriend's brother was dead by 1981.

ETA: I love Slade, then and now.

Edited by Quickbeam
  • Love 1

Really? Every single record company no matter the genre was run by the mafia? That's a pretty big blanket statement.

No where did the person who mentioned the mob made a statement even closed to the

blanket statement you made here.

I loved it. The music, the characters. But we know lots of people in the industry n the 70's.

No where did the person who mentioned the mob made a statement even closed to the blanket statement you made here.

Saying that no music industry story can be made without including the mafia falls under a "blanket statement" umbrella.

I think Cannavale is an underrated actor so I'm hoping this series improves. Too much of him with his mouth hanging open.

The mouth hanging open distracted me, too.  I don't know Cannavale's work but I didn't find him compelling.  

I only watched the first 30 minutes or so and then came here to see if it was worth it to get through to the end.  Sounds like not.  Thanks for the heads up!  

Lyme disease wasn't wven called that until 1975 and WASNT really in the public eye until 1979 I have good reason to know, I was diagnosed with an JRA in 1978 and it mighte ell have been Lyme but nobody tested.

With all the money... No fact checker? Relying on micks memory I'll only go so far.

So yes, wwii was relatively recent history, like 1986 would be to us now. And yes, the 60s would be like you know, 2001. But Lyme disease and too soon? Both jarring.

I wish the murder weren't there... The stakes were high enough,

I also feel like I have heard how artists got ripped off so many times I was happy when they kept cutting away from the flashbacks.

And two hours as at least half an hour too long.

Still almost famous is my all time favorite movie, set in same era, so I'll watch.

Wish i'd've recognized Dice - I would've enjoyed his getting his head bashed in more. (He did do a good job)

Pay to play had a big scandal in the 70s as I recall. Carly Simon's Jessie is the song I most remember being called out as bought and paid for chart position.

So, the woman singing with tambourine, what's the title of the song and who sang it?

NVM, found it:

Mama He Treats Your Daughter Mean – Ruth Brown

I used to watch his sitcom and Man of Certain Age, but it took me a while to finally recognize him. Damn good acting

Edited by DarkRaichu

Jagger's son can't act. He was awful. Dice, however, was awesome. Really bummed we won't be seeing more of him.

I was really surprised at how good Andrew Dice Clay was.  I think in the past, I've really only seen him play that one persona.   This was different and his over-the-top behavior was believable and well portrayed.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I enjoyed the pilot.  I don't need to have any likeable characters, I need INTERESTING characters.  This pilot laid the groundwork for a whole lot of potentially interesting people.   At one point, I started googling to check if those songs were being played at that time and was surprised to find that for the most part they were (or in previous years).   The after episode commentary that follows the pilot on OnDemand was interesting.  Terrance Winter said that they took some liberties with the building collapse, that it did happen but it wasn't during a show.  A practice was going on and everyone got out in time.  I liked the preview, as well (not going into why because of spoilers).

• Love 3

When you're at a party, and everyone is getting drunk and loaded they are having a fine ol time. You know who isn't? The one who is sober. That's how I felt the entire two hours I wasted on watching this pilot. I felt like the only sober person at a party watching everyone else get wasted and laugh hilariously at themselves over stupid shit that isn't funny when the high wears off. And I didn't find a single person in the entire thing that I remotely liked and could 'root' for. Disappointed.  

Also, the building collapse scene was ridiculous. I thought it was a metaphor for his internal meltdown but no, it was literal. Six stories fell on him, he dusts himself off and walks down the street, just fine. Sigh. I'm out. 

I was really surprised at how good Andrew Dice Clay was.  I think in the past, I've really only seen him play that one persona.   This was different and his over-the-top behavior was believable and well portrayed.

Andrew Dice Clay was pretty good in Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen) back in 2013.

Vinyl, I am not so sure of.