Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: XXII

Yes, for history that's not very notorious. Most of these characters based on real life people would require a Google search or a trip to Wikipedia to find out their fates, it's not often known off the top of one's head.

Oh sure. I suppose one would have to be some sort of expert on Pirates and or the early 18th century to know some of these people and their fates. Gotcha!  Thanks.

• Love 1

I find myself wondering about that moment on the ship when Rogers assumes that Eleanor is thinking about Vane and she denies it, saying that she'll trust that he will tell her if anything develops on that front but, no she was really thinking about him, Rogers, and how her being seen as his advisor might hurt his chances of success on the island.

I now think that Eleanor was playing Rogers for a fool.  I think he was right -- she WAS thinking about Vane.  But she's clever enough to know that if she is going to worm her way into Rogers heart (or at least his bed) she can't reveal that she still has any feeling for Vane.  So instead she tells him she was worrying out how her being his advisor will hurt HIM. She basically offers to give up the very valuable thing that he has offered her -- a position as advisor -- because it may not be in HIS best interest.  That's a really effective way to appeal to his ego, secure the position even more by forewarning him about all the nasty things he's likely to hear about her once they land, and also give her an excuse for why she may hold back from advising him publicly.  She'll want him to think she's doing it for his sake -- or to at least help ensure his success (since their aims are now aligned) but I'm sure she'll be telling people on the island that she's playing him and her holding back in public from telling him what he needs to know can be pointed to as evidence that she's not really on board with him.  Yeah, I'm convinced that Eleanor is playing Rogers and is thinking three steps ahead of him.

Edited by WatchrTina

I find myself wondering about that moment on the ship when Rogers assumes that Eleanor is thinking about Vane and she denies it, saying that she'll trust that he will tell her if anything develops on that front but, no she was really thinking about him, Rogers, and how her being seen as his advisor might hurt his chances of success on the island.

I now think that Eleanor was playing Rogers for a fool.  I think he was right -- she WAS thinking about Vane.  But she's clever enough to know that if she is going to worm her way into Rogers heart (or at least his bed) she can't reveal that she still has any feeling for Vane.  So instead she tells him she was worrying out how her being his advisor will hurt HIM. She basically offers to give up the very valuable thing that he has offered her -- a position as advisor -- because it may not be in HIS best interest.  That's a really effective way to appeal to his ego, secure the position even more by forewarning him about all the nasty things he's likely to hear about her once they land, and also give her an excuse for why she may hold back from advising him publicly.  She'll want him to think she's doing it for his sake -- or to at least help ensure his success (since their aims are now aligned) but I'm sure she'll be telling people on the island that she's playing him and her holding back in public from telling him what he needs to know can be pointed to as evidence that she's not really on board with him.  Yeah, I'm convinced that Eleanor is playing Rogers and is thinking three steps ahead of him.

I just did a re-watch last night and that is exactly what I was thinking as well. Those two and their little cat and mouse game is facinating the hell out of me right now.

I know I'm 6 months late to the party and no one will probably read this, but I love love this show!  I've been binge watching since Outlander ended and have to say it's exceeded expectations in every way.  (I tried watching when it first started and didn't make it through the first episode.  Since then I'd seen lots of posters praise the show in other forums, so thought I'd give it another try.  Boy, am I glad I did!  Season 2 was incredible and I'm enjoying 3 very much too.)

Anyway, the thing that got me to pipe up?  This:

On 2/16/2016 at 4:56 PM, meep.meep said:

I'm reading a history book called The Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodard that's about all this.

Not 10 minutes before reading this I checked with my library about nonfiction accounts of piracy in the Caribbean and this book showed up.  I've already reserved it.  

• Love 2