Type keyword(s) to search

My Lottery Dream Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I noticed that the HOA fees were not mentioned for any of the three condos....would really liked to know how much they ran! The condo he chose was beautiful but to me, way too big for one person even if guests were expected! He did say 6 was enough! Of course, he can afford to have a maid, etc, but that is still a lot of house for one person.

• Love 2

$10 million dollar scratch off. I’m clearly doing something wrong. Usually, they have a million winner so it was neat to see a really big winner. I like the 3rd house, too. Just having everything furnished is a big plus. In a few years you can add your own taste and personality into it if you want. That said, when I win like this person I want ocean front. I want the view. I’m now off to the Piggly Wiggly to buy a scratch off. Wish me luck!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I noticed that the HOA fees were not mentioned for any of the three condos....would really liked to know how much they ran! The condo he chose was beautiful but to me, way too big for one person even if guests were expected! He did say 6 was enough! Of course, he can afford to have a maid, etc, but that is still a lot of house for one person.

I've seen similar luxury condos in Florida ,399,000, 500,000, less bedrooms than he had, 500 to 800 a month. I'm sure his are over 1000 or more.

One older gentleman was saying,with his average priced condo in Florida, how they just go up and his mortgage was only 400 but his common fees were 400 too.

It's a big drawback which is why David said he wanted a big cushion to pay them because he wanted to retire early. You also have to hope they manage it well. So many around me got run down and money wasn't used well, you put a lot of trust in the association.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I knew the instant David said the third place was totally furnished that it was the one he would pick, that's usually a give away.

This is what I've wondered about - is the home that includes the furnishings, already belong to the house hunters?  That they've already moved into the house?  I knew the owners had to be in escrow, but I sometimes wonder if they've indeed already moved in.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, roughing it said:

This is what I've wondered about - is the home that includes the furnishings, already belong to the house hunters?  That they've already moved into the house?  I knew the owners had to be in escrow, but I sometimes wonder if they've indeed already moved in.

Many times they have moved in and they pretend to look at homes. Some of the winners are one to two years old, not recent winners. I know on house hunter international they have to have a home.  To be fair, who would look at just 3  ?

• Love 1

Yes, they are following up on two people I think.

Design expert David Bromstad takes $7 million lottery winners from New Jersey on a tour to find an amazing new dream home. Then, this special "revisited" edition catches up with the millionaires three years after their big win to find out how they've been.

Will tune in tonight. ; )

Watched the one with the two guys (one was a minister) I remember not liking the house they picked and it seems they fixed that up and bought the one next door to fix up. They left it hanging if they were to move in there or just rent it. A little bit of a let down for me. I thought there would be more of a follow up.

I hope others were doing well but not wanting the cameras in their home.

Edited by debraran
Update
  • Love 2

My guess is the minister wanted to disrupt the neighborhood as little as possible.    I'm sure the neighbors aren't thrilled about him doing weddings in a residential neighborhood, and I was surprised he was able to do that anyway.     I did like the way they finished the basement on their original house, and I agree that the second house is probably where they should move it.     

I liked the new episode with the teacher. I like the house they picked, and like their idea of doing changes gradually.     I hated the first house back yard with the busy roads on both side.   I hated the back yard of the new build, third house with the terraces.    I think it would have been a nightmare during rainy weather, and I don't like the other houses uphill looming over the house.      I think the terraces would be useless back yard area, and that reduced the back yard to a tiny strip that wouldn't be useful for family parties.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

As soon as the winners said they wanted to go south of San Jose, I knew they'd be in Hollister so hollered at my husband to watch with me.  He was born and raised there, we were married there, and his parents still live there.  The model home was in the Santana Ranch area, new building around the outskirts of town, near the Catholic church we attend when we're there.  Building used to be so regulated that when my inlaws put on a second story, there was water rationing to worry about.  It seems like a free-for-all these days, all sorts of building going on.  Just don't want to see the live oaks and the few remaining apricot orchards disappear.

• Love 3

I just started watching this show about a month ago. So I've been marathon watching all of the repeats. Nothing like watching one episode after another to catch onto the show's formula. Lol Anyway, I agree with all of you who find David to be quite unctuous. Yet, for some reason, I find his predictably over the top, completely insincere reactions to be rather amusing.

Anyway, assuming that the home buyers already bought their houses, I'm kind of amazed at the general quality of acting and ad-libbing made by these everyday folks. I know I wouldn't be able to pull it off. Every now and then you get people who seem wooden, but overall they're completely into their roles. Now why they would want to go on this show is a mystery to me - unless they're just looking to continue their 15 minutes of fame. Maybe the initial hoopla about their lottery win didn't last long enough for them?

So last night I was thrilled to recognize one of the three homes the two guys from New Jersey were looking at. First the upstairs library looked familiar. Then when they showed the ice skating rink, I knew I had been there for an estate sale a few years ago (looking for bargains in knickknacks ). So whoever bought the home then didn't stay long. I can't imagine what the taxes and the upkeep must cost. It's a money pit. I've seen comparable homes like that in North Jersey where the annual taxes were around $50,000. Those two guys who, were splitting $1000 a day for life, would have been spending about a quarter of their net income just on real estate taxes. It's crazy how much money it takes to be really rich - especially when you're living near NYC.

Edited by Mannahatta
Thought I should get the name of the host right.
  • Love 3

I wonder how many 'home buyers' on this and the other House Hunter shows, see the decoy houses, and think they goofed with what they bought?     

I liked the Halifax episode.   It was nice to see a new location, and I liked the couple.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ForReal said:

That is the perfect word to describe him!

Yup!

unc·tu·ous

/ˈəNG(k)(t)SH(o͞o)əs/

adjective

(of a person) excessively or ingratiatingly flattering; oily.

"he seemed anxious to please but not in an unctuous way"

synonyms:sycophantic, ingratiating, obsequious, fawning, servile, groveling, subservient, cringing, humble, hypocritical, insincere, gushing, effusive; More

(chiefly of minerals) having a greasy or soapy feel.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 11/4/2018 at 7:00 PM, ByaNose said:

On 11/4/2018 at 3:43 PM, ForReal said:

That is the perfect word to describe him!

Yup!

unc·tu·ous

/ˈəNG(k)(t)SH(o͞o)əs/

adjective

(of a person) excessively or ingratiatingly flattering; oily.

Thanks. I as about to look it up!

I don’t know, I like David. He’d be probably be annoying to hang around with constantly. Then again his real personality is probably very different from his on-air persona. 

I do like the diversity of the winners. For example, There was a Latino couple recently with a husband who spoke very little English, and his wife had to translate for him. Little touches like that are realistic. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, topanga said:

Thanks. I as about to look it up!

I don’t know, I like David. He’d be probably be annoying to hang around with constantly. Then again his real personality is probably very different from his on-air persona. 

I do like the diversity of the winners. For example, There was a Latino couple recently with a husband who spoke very little English, and his wife had to translate for him. Little touches like that are realistic. 

I liked that too and David had some fun with them that seemed less "filmed" and more realistic. This season he doesn't say things like "you can't afford me" when they ask for tips and seems more comfortable.  It must be hard to film "Lottery Dream Home" when the person is poor and wants a rundown looking kind of home as someone did in the past, wanted to stay near family etc. It's nice for her, but for TV, not as much. I am glad to see so many more logical winners though. It's not my money but it's hard to watch someone who is a lower paid worker, win a million and say they'll go up to 675,000 for home, isn't that what they get after taxes? 

But the whole idea is looking at homes you can't afford, but I like feel good stories too. Hope they have more of both.

• Love 2

I loved the family on tonight's new show.     And I really liked the wife saying that they were buying what they could afford, and paying it off so they won't have a mortgage.   I hope that's the true situation, and so sensible.    I don't understand why people in heavy snow country are worried about being close to a main highway, since getting on the road in bad weather will be so much easier than waiting until the snow plows get to your street.      With a decent set of double pane windows, and bedrooms on the back, then road noise shouldn't be a problem.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

It's not on my cables "on demand" yet. I like to watch sensible people, others make me feel like I'm watching a personal train wreck.

Next week is Massachusetts native Linda was unable to afford buying her own home until she won $4 million on a scratch card. Now she can buy her own dream home in her hometown. Host David Bromstad helps Linda decide whether she wants an oceanfront view or a backyard for visiting grandchildren now that she's a millionaire four times over.

That's a common theme. I'm odd, never liked waterfront, saw too many hurricanes in my area wipe them out or cause heavy damage. I'd rather drive a few minutes unless it was a vacation second home.

• Love 2
On 11/9/2018 at 10:13 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved the family on tonight's new show.     And I really liked the wife saying that they were buying what they could afford, and paying it off so they won't have a mortgage.   I hope that's the true situation, and so sensible.    I don't understand why people in heavy snow country are worried about being close to a main highway, since getting on the road in bad weather will be so much easier than waiting until the snow plows get to your street.      With a decent set of double pane windows, and bedrooms on the back, then road noise shouldn't be a problem.   

I also loved this family, they were the most down to earth, "real" people they have had. I loved the first home like the dad but they picked the right one for them. One million is about 650,000 so they bought the house outright and now can save the money for upkeep and college and all the other things life throws at you. It had the least character, not being old but less upkeep hopefully and large enough for their relatives etc to visit.

Now did she say a 10.00 scratch off?  : )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

Yes, a $10 scratch off, and she ended up with a million.   

I liked the first house, but it would have been a money pit, and at the age of the house, I wonder if they would have to get everything approved by a historical commission to alter anything?     Either way I can only imagine the nightmare of eventually turning an upstairs room into the master bath, with all kinds of surprises inside those walls.   

I had to laugh at the son saying he was going to jump into the pool from the deck, and his mother shutting that down instantly.    I'm sure he was kidding, because he never would have made it.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

First time player, 25.00 scratch off, 1 million richer. Sweet. I did that same thing with a 20.00 scratch off, said to myself, my husband will think I'm crazy.....and lost. lol  I'm glad she won. She did it when a guy ahead of her said he won 1000 on it recently. They were conservative, up to 320,000.

Not impressed with first one, but some retirement homes in Florida aren't architecturally pretty but in retirement you don't always want that, it's ease and amenities. Second to me was nicer, more "beachy" to her liking. The third was the most money and my favorite of the 3.  They threw around the word "lanae" a lot, a Florida term it seems. I first heard it in Golden Girls years ago. Now they have one. ; )

• Love 1

I loved the couple, and think they picked the perfect house, with the screened Lanai.   I had to laugh at the lanai v. porch discussion.    Some of the 55+ communities, the original buyers did the "bird cage" (the big screened porch room, or extension like the second house) and it was allowed.   But the set backs are different in a lot of communities now, so I'm guessing you can't add the big patio and screened enclosures at the third house.   I bet at the third house they could only screen the back porch, and not extend it.     I thought it was funny when David emphasized the second was a 55+ community, and they showed a man driving by with two little kids in the golf cart.     I loved the second house with the screened lanai, and think the amenities there looked very nice.  

Off topic, but if anyone looks at an age restricted community, look carefully at the restrictions on younger people living or visiting, because most have strict rules about 18 and under living in the houses, and there have been several lawsuits by people who took custody of grandkids, or remarried someone with younger kids, and they were not allowed to break the rules.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:34 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Off topic, but if anyone looks at an age restricted community, look carefully at the restrictions on younger people living or visiting, because most have strict rules about 18 and under living in the houses, and there have been several lawsuits by people who took custody of grandkids, or remarried someone with younger kids, and they were not allowed to break the rules.  

OT response:  My in-laws wintered in one of these communities, they purchased their lot prior to age 55 and were only able to visit 1 week at a time until they turned 55.  So they would usually spend spring break there.  Then when they had grandkids, the grandkids (and us) were only allowed to visit no longer than 1 week at a time.  And we had to be signed in and out and wear visitor badges at all times.  Umm, this type of community is not for me, but to each their own.

Edited by roughing it
  • Love 2

I would love to live in a community where I don’t have to put up with noisy kids!  Although, with my luck I would end up living next to someone who is deaf as a post and turns the tv/music up and yells at their spouse, who has to yell back in order to be heard.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I'm still looking for my million dollar scratch off. I bought regualr lottery tickets (Powerball & Mega Millions) and when I went to my car I saw a girl in her car scratching off her ticket. I was going to hang around and see if she won a million but I thought she might scream help or spray mace in my face.. My eyes! My eyes! Happy Thanksgiving Y'all!!!

• Love 4

I lived in a 55 plus community in Florida as a snowbird and did not enjoy it.  At 61, I was probably the youngest person there.  I ended up buying a villa in a nearby town that is more of a neighborhood.

I thought the couple was very sweet and David was charming.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, javajeanelaine said:

I lived in a 55 plus community in Florida as a snowbird and did not enjoy it.  At 61, I was probably the youngest person there.  I ended up buying a villa in a nearby town that is more of a neighborhood.

I thought the couple was very sweet and David was charming.

My sister bought a condo in a 55 community in CT. She ended up being the youngest at 58 and only friend she made was around 65. Everyone seemed to be much older and stuck to themselves. I suppose that's something that is hard to gauge at times but something to look into. Being in the NE, she thought the one floor, safety features and outside maintenance done might be nice as she aged, but I'm sure age ranges vary per place.

8 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I like David, but the promos for this show make him look like a big gay pimp.

Well, he is who he is, I told my husband when I saw this ad he is enjoying that over the top camp role way too much!

• Love 2

Not meaning to be too negative, but there are two episodes I dislike.   The one in California the first season, where the people had lost everything repeatedly, and won 1 or 2 mil. I don't remember which.   I'm sure they took the lump sum, and ended up with maybe half?     They were immediately looking for a place with waterfront, wanted a big boat, and ended up with a house that was nice, fairly generic, and with the furniture, boat, and I bet, HOA fees, are probably broke again.      I've found that people that always have bad financial 'luck', and it's always someone else's fault, never manage money well.       

The other episode  I'm not crazy about is the Chesapeake Bay couple who wanted something on the water, bought a 2 bed/1 bath, and were talking about building a big second floor master and bath.   I bet the people who bought houses behind them probably weren't too happy about the second story plans.   Of course, on this show, just like on the regular house hunters episodes, it might be they bought for a vacation rental, and that would make big bucks for them.    

I absolutely love the story about the Calimesa people, and love the house they bought.   A lot of the new promos showing the huge house, and the movie theater are from that episode.  They did so many great things with their winnings, and picked a spectacular house.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I like David, but the promos for this show make him look like a big gay pimp.

Wait! David’s gay? I had no idea. <sarcasm>. Personally, I’m more turned off by his tattoos. They’re taking over his whole body. He looks great from the neck up. He’s got great hair, beautiful smile, teeth & goatee. That said, the commercials are so OTT. Which I think is what they were going for. 

• Love 4

I loved the two men in Illinois tonight.   The kids were so cute.    I loved when their entire checklist was for what the kids needed, and I bet the reason they stayed in that pricey area was for the great schools.  

I didn't like the first house, I've never liked that style of roof, and I'm wondering if the soffits and columns in the living room/dining room really were decorative, or were really supporting the house, or had mechanicals inside.   Plus in snow country like the Chicago area, usually the roof behind the mansard, outer part is not sloped enough for quick run off, so I would never touch that style of roof.  

I liked the second house, except for that funky paint, and I'm glad that's the one they bought.

The third house just left me cold, and the fact the one neighbor owns that property that everyone uses was bizarre, and I'm guessing that someday the bulldozers will come in to build a house there.  .   

With the houses that seem to be staged, like the one the construction worker bought in Florida, my guess is either the house was a model, and the buyer bought it furnished, or the house was staged, and he bought the furnishing from the builder or staging company.     If you're rich enough, I'm sure you can get all kinds of extra things that the rest of us can only dream about.    Or else they hired a designer to completely furnish the place.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved the two men in Illinois tonight.   The kids were so cute.    I loved when their entire checklist was for what the kids needed, and I bet the reason they stayed in that pricey are was for the great schools.  

I didn't like the first house, I've never liked that style of roof, and I'm wondering if the soffits and columns in the living room/dining room really were decorative, or were really supporting the house, or had mechanicals inside.   

I liked the second house, except for that funky paint, and I'm glad that's the one they bought.

The third house just left me cold, and the fact the one neighbor owns that property that everyone uses was bizarre.   

With the houses that seem to be staged, like the one the construction worker bought in Florida, my guess is either the house was a model, and the buyer bought it furnished, or the house was staged, and he bought the furnishing from the builder or staging company.     If you're right enough, I'm sure you can get all kinds of extra things that the rest of us can only dream about.    Or else they hired a designer to completely furnish the place.      

I still have to watch that one but as far as staging goes, David quickly mentioned one was staged in a show and they could buy the stuff as part of the price and another time he said, staging was a good thing to sell a home (although I prefer to see it without stuff I don't own) and he did that as part of his regular job at times.

The one guy, a few shows ago,  who got everything down to the plates seemed like a stereotypical guy thing, lol, I could see my son thinking, "I don't have to enter a store, sweet" . ; )

PS Just saw it, agree with you, adorable kids, etc. "Nothing, just a cruise" lol  I loved how he found out he won, and the house they picked.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Personally, I’m more turned off by his tattoos. They’re taking over his whole body.

Yes, I find them kind of alarming at times, like when the lines come out from his chest around his neck. Looks like scratch marks or tribal scars.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ForReal said:

Yes, I find them kind of alarming at times, like when the lines come out from his chest around his neck. Looks like scratch marks or tribal scars.

I too find the upper chest tattoos distracting and unpleasant but the ones that I really hate are the dark, bold lines on his hand. He's a cute guy and now it feels like he's defaced his body.

• Love 1

Watched the new show and was shocked by the prices. I live within an hour of there and never realized it was that way. It's just a suburb. Probably because of the schools?

It must have been super hot during that filming, the one guy was soaking through his shirts with sweat spots! They should have had him change clothes!

I did notice he appeared to be wearing an undershirt in the last scene right before they both dressed up more for the reveal of their house. I bet he was dying watching himself on tv!

• Love 2
On 11/23/2018 at 4:14 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I absolutely love the story about the Calimesa people, and love the house they bought.   A lot of the new promos showing the huge house, and the movie theater are from that episode.  They did so many great things with their winnings, and picked a spectacular house.      

They are selling their big place now, along with the restaurant they bought.  $26M:  https://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/2018/10/26/180-million-lottery-winner-selling-his-san-bernardino-mountain-estate-buffalo-ranch-and-saloon-for-26-million/

7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder what the Calimesa couple are doing next?     

I can't imagine too many people wanting to spend that amount of money on that home and acreage. I know he won a lot of money,( 180 was not what he got in hand but it was a lot) but when I was watching it, I remember thinking of how much it would take to keep all that up, the number of employees and hassles with things not going the way you planned, the having to deal with business or trust others to do it for you. If you like it though, it can be challenging and fun.

I found this article, says it was because of his son's health. I hope he feels better in lower elevation.

https://people.com/home/mega-millions-winner-selling-26m-mansion-due-to-sons-health-says-the-home-has-been-a-blessing/

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
On 2/12/2017 at 1:29 AM, Irlandesa said:

Did anyone see the Salt Lake City, UT episode?  I think they did need a big house with all that family but did I hear it correctly that they offered, and had accepted, an offer that is 100,000k less than the asking price?  That was a full 25% off.  Is housing there like Vegas during the recession?

I was wondering why they got the house so cheap. 

On 2/17/2018 at 7:28 AM, debraran said:

New Lakeside episode, another 2 million winner (on 10.00 scratch off) that is looking for second vacation home, 230,000 to 260.000.  I admit i thought it would be more but lake homes aren't always too much money.

Kind of nice, they vacationed by the lake for over 30 years and now they can buy a home. I thought the first one was kind of plain, large but nondescript I did like the basement fireplace.

I liked the loft bedroom in the second home but not much privacy with that.  The third was right by the lake and 3 decks with views. Beautiful.  4 levels with a bathroom and bedroom on every floor. Not for people with weak knees though. ; )   Very peaceful but not "cabin-like"

They took the lower priced one (I hope carpet came out of bathroom) and rented a boat slip, a nice retirement life. Hope they have many years to enjoy it.

I liked this couple and knew right away they were picking the first one even though I liked the other two properties better.

• Love 1
On 4/15/2018 at 2:49 PM, suebee12 said:

Whoa, I just watched Season 4, Episode 1, Florida Dreaming and I knew the folks who won! I worked in a Mom and Pop convenience store for a really long time...our regulars were like family(maybe Tom will adopt me!). They won the $1,000,000 on a scratch off about a month after I moved to MS.(Wonder if he bought it in our store?) They live in North Port where everyone moved during the late 90's and the early 2000's because of the inexpensive houses being built. Not my choice of where to live but many love the area. Tom is a really nice guy and it is great to see a nice guy win! And just think, I was extremely excited when I won $1000!

They seemed like a great couple and I liked the house they chose. That’s nice you know them.

• Love 2

I don’t mind when they buy a house that is only a few hundred thousand dollars. They are acting smart. And some parts of the United States buying a house for a few hundred thousand dollars it’s almost like buying a house for like seven 800,000 or million.

• Love 2

I love that the couple in Champaign-Urbana are only spending 200k-250k.      I knew the first one was a decoy, when I saw the close neighbors, but I loved the house inside.   

I like that the second house was so different from the normal cookie cutter suburban house, but it doesn't have enough bedrooms, and the master bedroom was small.   

I love the third house, and David's right, it needs lighter, warmer paint.     I knew which one they bought, when I saw the pool and the giant workshop.   Nice engagement ring too.  

I suspect some other couples have had a shock when they not only spend most of the money on a huge house, but then have to furnish everything, and pay the utilities, taxes, and HOA.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I knew which one they bought, when I saw the pool and the giant workshop.   Nice engagement ring too. 

I thought they'd go for a house with a pool... but an above-ground pool? I liked the house and the property, but that pool is tacky.

Lovely engagement segment. They look so happy.

• Love 1