Type keyword(s) to search

My Lottery Dream Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

The decoration in the third house clued me in, and him talking about the art studio in the pool house.   

David would have to be a legal real estate agent in every state they film in.    Also, the 'house hunters' already own the house.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
On 7/16/2021 at 9:57 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

Didn't say how much he actually paid.

Probably because (as a realtor) he automatically gets 3% off the top which is almost 30K, and that's not including any negotiations.

7 hours ago, MsTree said:

Probably because (as a realtor) he automatically gets 3% off the top which is almost 30K, and that's not including any negotiations.

He's not a real estate agent as far as I can tell. Here is how HGTV describes him.

Ace designer, real-estate advisor, TV personality, snappy dresser, bon vivant and general purveyor of positive vibes -- HGTV host David Bromstad is all that and more

He uses real estate agents on the show. Add to that - buyers don't pay commissions, the seller does.

• Love 4
On 7/17/2021 at 1:43 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The decoration in the third house clued me in, and him talking about the art studio in the pool house.   

Yeah, me too.  Having watched his old series "Color Splash" I saw some obvious signs of David's touch in there.

I liked the house he chose because it wasn't too typical.  The only thing I didn't like was the fake 1980s imitation Tudor exterior, LOL.  Of course I'm a tough room with that because I associate Tudor homes with the American version of the Cotswolds in Scarsdale, NY, and there's no comparison.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

buyers don't pay commissions, the seller does.

I know that, and just assumed David was a realtor...not a realtor "advisor" 🙄 So what I was saying is if he was a realtor/buyer, he in essence is representing himself. Therefore, he would get a 3% commission off any negotiated price. Obviously, a moot point now 😉

• Love 2
On 7/19/2021 at 3:29 AM, MsTree said:

I know that, and just assumed David was a realtor...not a realtor "advisor" 🙄 So what I was saying is if he was a realtor/buyer, he in essence is representing himself. Therefore, he would get a 3% commission off any negotiated price. Obviously, a moot point now 😉

What gets me about this show is that the buyers thank David profusely for "finding them a home", meanwhile we know he has next to nothing to do with it.  We know that they bought the home they "chose" before they appeared on the show so he had nothing to do with that, plus he goes to a realtor to find the other homes they tour on the show.  So when the buyers thank David so much I always wonder why since he's only basically responsible for giving them a fun way to appear on TV.

• Love 4

If they’ve already bought the home, I’m not clear how David could help with $$, but I’ve heard him offer design advice. Perhaps it’s his ideas/suggestions for their house that turns it into their home is why they’re thanking him? Also, some seem to super enjoy his company.

• Love 3

I think getting a chance to see what else is available in houses is kind of fun for the lottery winners.   

Also, when he had the 100th episode, the behind the scenes information was fun.    They have to reshoot the outside scenes a lot, because so many people honk and wave going by.    I'm sure that just like on the regular house hunters shows, that sometimes the decoy is a lot nicer than what they bought.   However, I've read the decoys are often short term rentals that they lease for a couple of days, so they weren't on the market anyway.      

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Tonight’s show is from 12/18/20 Mountain High Dreams. Nice couple but I have to turn it off. David’s tattoos are just too, too much. I hate this for this nice man- he must be very unhappy to have done this to himself. My son has a former business partner who has pretty much (?) overcome his drug addiction. He substituted multiple tattoos because he got a “high” from getting them to help him tolerate not taking drugs. This makes me very sad.

• Love 2

I'm sure that just like on the regular house hunters shows, that sometimes the decoy is a lot nicer than what they bought. 

There's an episode of House Hunters International with a couple looking in the Dominican Republic. In the reveal at the end they suddenly own two houses. I've assumed they absolutely loved one of the decoys so much they bought it too. I think it was really cheap.

• Love 3
On 7/23/2021 at 7:12 PM, Gam2 said:

Tonight’s show is from 12/18/20 Mountain High Dreams. Nice couple but I have to turn it off. David’s tattoos are just too, too much. I hate this for this nice man- he must be very unhappy to have done this to himself. My son has a former business partner who has pretty much (?) overcome his drug addiction. He substituted multiple tattoos because he got a “high” from getting them to help him tolerate not taking drugs. This makes me very sad.

That's an interesting interpretation to explain David's sudden tattoo addition, and I think you're on to something with it given the rumors of drug addiction I've heard.  What will happen, though, when he runs out of room on his body to tattoo and suddenly wakes up and faces what he's done to himself?  His newfound giddiness and over-the-top happiness all the time reads to me like an overcompensation to mask unhappiness.

• Love 1

"California Dreams" one of the Scatch Offs reruns with extra facts.   I never saw this one the first time around.   

They have $5 million, and it's near Anaheim.    I think it's funny that the 'back yard' is actually a big patio, and that's normal for the area.  There are five in the family, and they want a 3 bedroom, right now they were living in a two bedroom apartment. 

I know they already own the selection, but I do love looking at the houses. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 7/21/2021 at 9:17 AM, Yeah No said:

What gets me about this show is that the buyers thank David profusely for "finding them a home", meanwhile we know he has next to nothing to do with it.  We know that they bought the home they "chose" before they appeared on the show so he had nothing to do with that, plus he goes to a realtor to find the other homes they tour on the show.  So when the buyers thank David so much I always wonder why since he's only basically responsible for giving them a fun way to appear on TV.

One of the couples even named their dog Bromstad!  David's last name!  Geez!   I like him, but it's too much, Lol.  

• Love 3
On 7/13/2021 at 4:48 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Just a head's up for this week. Friday's new episode is under a different name so my DVR wasn't picking it up, had to check the schedule and add it manually. David is looking for his own dream home.

Damn!  Hopefully I can find this somehow.

On 10/24/2021 at 1:50 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

One of the couples even named their dog Bromstad!  David's last name!  Geez!   I like him, but it's too much, Lol.  

I think it’s a cute unique name for a pet. There’s always a cute story about little Brahmstead even when he’s not little. I don’t want to take the time to try and fix the spelling on this iPad. I think it’s better than naming the dog any random name and it’s different. They always know when they got him and how many years ago it was because it was also when they pretty much got the house. 

• Love 1

Tomorrow night (the 12th) is the first new episode of the new season. 

I enjoyed the couple near Atlanta last night.   I thought it was hysterical that the husband plays the lottery a lot, and the wife plays very seldom, and she won the million.     I liked the first two houses, but the third was too outdated, and I think it would have needed major work to make it what the couple wanted.    I did like the second and third homes yards better than the first house.    I noticed the first house had an outside entrance on the basement level, but I think it was a shed addition for the mower, and leaf vacuum, and you'll definitely have to work a lot on the back yard. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 11/11/2021 at 8:08 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tomorrow night (the 12th) is the first new episode of the new season. 

I enjoyed the couple near Atlanta last night.   I thought it was hysterical that the husband plays the lottery a lot, and the wife plays very seldom, and she won the million.     I liked the first two houses, but the third was too outdated, and I think it would have needed major work to make it what the couple wanted.    I did like the second and third homes yards better than the first house.    I noticed the first house had an outside entrance on the basement level, but I think it was a shed addition for the mower, and leaf vacuum, and you'll definitely have to work a lot on the back yard. 

I recorded the show on my DVR but I didn’t know it was a new season so thanks for sharing that.. Nice to know that the prices in Atlanta are still incredibly good although I could never move there given the political situation in the state.  dammit because “the living is easy there”.  My crappy Long Island house would buy me a very nice home in the Atlanta Metro area.

I’m still catching up on his show since I just started watching it about four months ago.  I’m glad you’re going to be some new episodes. They seem to play some of the episodes over and over and then every now and then there’s one that never appeared on my DVR before.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

This Friday's episode may not record, it has a slightly different title since it's an hour of David's Christmas decorating.    

Is that a repeat? He rented a house one year for his family to come down and spend Christmas together. He had crates and crates of ornaments in addition to what he picked up to fill the space (like antique wooden trains.) One room was just for a wide variety of Christmas trees!

10 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

If anyone gets Discovery Family channel, now that GAC is no more they have started running MLDH marathons Monday afternoons and evenings.

Thanks for the info that GAC is no longer. When I noticed it was missing from my line up, I immediately blamed my cable provider. lol

18 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Is that a repeat? He rented a house one year for his family to come down and spend Christmas together. He had crates and crates of ornaments in addition to what he picked up to fill the space (like antique wooden trains.) One room was just for a wide variety of Christmas trees!

It's probably a repeat.  The recent special where he chose his own "dream home" was also billed as new but was a repeat from several months ago.

• Love 1

Tonight's new episode is in Connecticut.   I love seeing new places, and the homes.       I love the house they picked.   Bridgeport is such an expensive area that I'm glad they could find anything.    I guess they just show the good parts, like the waterfall over the little dam.    It's too bad about the crime rate.       I guess they always show the good parts on the show.      

I'm wondering if the scenic stuff was even close to where the houses were?    Often, the "B" roll of scenic stuff isn't anywhere close.   

I've noticed a lot of the remodeling or house shopping shows shoot the video of the houses very carefully, without showing much of the surroundings.     I think it's to disguise the neglected neighboring properties, or the 'interesting' neighborhood.     It's also to avoid showing the exact address, and having people drop by to gawk.  I like the house they bought with the nice yard.   I hated the third house, it was all concrete in the tiny back yard, and even for a fixer upper, it looks bad.  

I love the family in the rerun with the Orlando homes.    The $6 million win with $1 million to $1.4 million budget is so fun.   I love the house they picked.   I couldn't stand the first house they toured, the location on the corner next to the two roads would have been a deal breaker for me.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tonight's new episode is in Connecticut.   I love seeing new places, and the homes.       I love the house they picked.   Bridgeport is such an expensive area that I'm glad they could find anything.     The scenic shots from Bridgeport were spectacular.  

I live in CT and know Bridgeport and the surrounding area very well.  A lot of Bridgeport is high in violent crime and not the nicest place to live.  I personally would not feel safe living there.  The reason they could find such low prices compared to the rest of the area is because of the high crime.  The smallest house in Milford that they showed was actually in a better town as far as crime and quality of life are concerned, and that's why it was only 800 square feet to keep within in their price range.  

I have been through Bridgeport many, many times and never saw it look as good as in this episode, LOL.  There are some slightly better areas but they are surrounded by unsafe areas.  I wouldn't want my kids living anywhere near there.

I live in the suburbs surrounding Hartford.  Hartford is another unsafe city with a high murder rate but the surrounding suburbs are beautiful.  I live in a quaint New England town about 12 miles from Hartford that looks like a postcard and our crime rate is very low.  I grew up in the Bronx in NYC so to me this is paradise.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I guess they just show the good parts, like the waterfall over the little dam.    It's too bad about the crime rate.       I guess they always show the good parts on the show.      

I'm wondering if the scenic stuff was even close to where the houses were?    Often, the "B" roll of scenic stuff isn't anywhere close.   

Yeah a lot of the shots were from the nicer areas near the city borders.  Those are the only areas that are a little more acceptable in terms of crime rate.  Actually the house they ended up buying was on the border of Fairfield in the Brooklawn area.  Fairfield is a nicer town.  That house seemed like a good deal all things considered.  I can see why they chose it.  Who knows, maybe it needed a few new expensive things like a roof or furnace that brought the price down?  I don't know why anyone would want to put up with the soaring property taxes in Bridgeport, though.  That's another reason the housing prices are so low.  You could probably find a better deal in other towns with lower tax and crime rates.  So what if the house costs less if the taxes cancel it out.  Bridgeport just saw a huge jump in property tax rates a few years ago so where that's concerned you are at the mercy of the tax increases.  Fairfield's property tax rate is HALF that of Bridgeport's.  That's significant!  His mom may be buying him the house but I presume he and his wife will have to pay the taxes themselves.

The third house they showed them was a worse area, on the other side of Rt. 1.  I notice they didn't show anything but the house because the rest of the street probably didn't look so great.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 2
18 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I live in CT and know Bridgeport and the surrounding area very well.  A lot of Bridgeport is high in violent crime and not the nicest place to live.  I personally would not feel safe living there.  The reason they could find such low prices compared to the rest of the area is because of the high crime.  The smallest house in Milford that they showed was actually in a better town as far as crime and quality of life are concerned, and that's why it was only 800 square feet to keep within in their price range.  

I have been through Bridgeport many, many times and never saw it look as good as in this episode, LOL.  There are some slightly better areas but they are surrounded by unsafe areas.  I wouldn't want my kids living anywhere near there.

I live in the suburbs surrounding Hartford.  Hartford is another unsafe city with a high murder rate but the surrounding suburbs are beautiful.  I live in a quaint New England town about 12 miles from Hartford that looks like a postcard and our crime rate is very low.  I grew up in the Bronx in NYC so to me this is paradise.

I can't see the show since I dropped cable, but I live in CT, work next door to Milford. I would love to see this one day. Milford prices went WAY up when Covid hit and NYC patrons were trying to get in where they can take the train. Bridgeport, I can't imagine buying a house in but I'm sure there are nice parts. I live in New Haven and some think "crime" but never had an issue in 30 years.

I did see the one in CT in North Haven and they wanted East Hadaam. That was nice and they got a nice lake house, but were a bit blah.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

Tonight's new episode "Seven Million Big Ones" two NY state, EMTs won $7 million, and opted for the lump sum. 

We've been in Cape Coral before, I like it, at least on TV.  $500k budget or higher, with a screened pool, and on a canal.   I really like the couple. 

House 1-Palm Place.   4 bed 2.5 bath 2476 sq.. ft,  $510k screened in front lanai /entrance, all tile floors, nice kitchen with dark brown cabinets, there's a guest wing with 2 bedrooms, and bath, main bedroom is huge, great bathroom ensuite.  Pool is screened and big, canal is right behind the house with a great dock.  Someone's been feeding the turtles that are swimming up.   

House 2-Pelican View -1781 sq. ft. 3 bed 2 bath $485k, pool.   I love the covered patio.   Main bath is small.   Kitchen is nice.  2 bguest bed and bath has door to pool, screened pool is nice, and the back yard is much better than #1, on a canal.   It's flatter to the water, with no steps to the dock.  

House 3-The Fiddlewood- I don't like it, too much to do. The house is very 70s, lots of carpet and paneling, and one of the sunken conversation pits.  The wife sprained her ankle.    House is very modern. 3 bed, 2 baths, 1817 sq. ft. $449k, kitchen is nice, lanai and screened pool are nice, the main bedroon is nice, and the bathroom is huge, with a huge shower next to the slider.    It's not on a canal, but a golf course.  

They pick #1, the biggest house.     I liked that one.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tonight's new episode "Seven Million Big Ones" two NY state, EMTs won $7 million, and opted for the lump sum.

Maybe it’s the editing, David himself, or even one of the show’s goals, but I tend to like most of the lottery winners. The whole show has a positive energy even when the winners have budgets more in line with House Hunters than Million Dollar Listing (which I don’t watch so I hope its title means they sell really expensive homes.)

• Love 8

I've tried watching MLDH International but oh man, it is just depressing.  If you win the lottery in the US you can get an enormous house but if you win the lottery in the UK you can get like, a tiny shit cottage.  

I can hardly bear it because we've been so spoiled with David's show and I feel bad for the British people having to "Ooh and ahh" at someone's old cottage that is falling apart.  LOL.  

On 11/11/2021 at 5:07 PM, Kira53 said:

I think it’s a cute unique name for a pet. There’s always a cute story about little Brahmstead even when he’s not little. I don’t want to take the time to try and fix the spelling on this iPad. I think it’s better than naming the dog any random name and it’s different. They always know when they got him and how many years ago it was because it was also when they pretty much got the house. 

But, isn't the show staged?  I'm quite sure they've already bought the house and David just shows them other houses for the sake of the show.  That's why I don't get thanking David to the point of naming your dog after him, but that's just me.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

But, isn't the show staged?  I'm quite sure they've already bought the house and David just shows them other houses for the sake of the show.  That's why I don't get thanking David to the point of naming your dog after him, but that's just me.  

I'll just toss this out there. Maybe they really like David and part of their pitch to be on the show is they named their dog after him. Or not. 🤷‍♂️

• LOL 3

I'm guessing they already own the house, just like every other home buying or remodeling show, but they do get a chance to see what else is out there.   I've always wondered about some on this show, and House Hunters, who already have the house, but see the decoy, and think they made a mistake.   I'm sure a lot of the decoy houses are really short term rentals, or maybe just borrowed, but I don't pick the winning house very often.  

However, some lottery winners have won so much that they could buy all three houses.       I've only disliked one set of winners, and the wife was nice, and enthusiastic, but you could tell her husband didn't want to be there.  

5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I can hardly bear it because we've been so spoiled with David's show and I feel bad for the British people having to "Ooh and ahh" at someone's old cottage that is falling apart.  LOL.  

We've had US lottery winners buy small $100,00 track homes on this show so I don't know that I'd call us "spoiled" by the lottery winners here. There have been some nice homes on the international version too.

• Love 1
On 12/4/2021 at 4:15 PM, Kiddvideo said:

Maybe it’s the editing, David himself, or even one of the show’s goals, but I tend to like most of the lottery winners. The whole show has a positive energy even when the winners have budgets more in line with House Hunters than Million Dollar Listing

Agreed! It's what draws me to this show. The winners are so sweet and grateful. They appreciate everything so much. There was an episode with a father and daughter I think in Ohio. They were only spending like a hundred thousand or something and all the dad wanted was to be in the neighborhood he grew up in. They were so funny and David is terrific. He treats everyone the same whether it's millions or thousands that they're spending. He seems very genuine. Some of the House Hunter couples I want to slap. They are so obnoxious and playing for the camera. "Well that has to be completely re-done." Perfectly fine bathroom that's better than anything I've ever had. 

Also watching from Canada it's shocking the prices on both shows. Where I live 500 thousand wouldn't even get you in the door of a detached home. Like forget bedrooms or square feet, not even in the door.

• Love 3

Cartersville, GA, Atlanta area-Won  $2 million on a $10 scratch off,  Brandy and James, $350k to $415k budget

1. Armtree Manor 5 bed 4 bath, $399,000 price, it's actually in Rome, GA.  Kitchen seems small, it's on 5 acres, so they could build a guest house if they want, so the mother-in-law could have her own place.   two story.  upstairs 2 bed, 1 bath, downstairs main is lovely, and huge.  On the biggest acreage. 

2. Sweet Tree Place  in Rome,  5 bed, 3 bath 3156 sq. ft., $375,000, on 1/3 acre,  main suite, plus 2 bedrooms with shared bath, plus MIL suite, rest of bedrooms upstairs.  Screened in porch, lovely fenced yard, great kitchen, and screened porch is nice.      

3. The Devereux, near Cartersville, 2 story with finished basement, 6 bed, 5 1/2bath, 4022 sq. ft. on half an acre,  $419,000.  Big dining room, great kitchen.    Finished basement is so nice, with 2 bed, 1 1/2 bath, great basement.     I love the back yard, but the 3 season porch needs to be finished.   

They choose # 3, I guessed they would pick # 3.  I don't pick the right one very often. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

"My Lottery Dream Home: David's Holiday Extravaganza" is on my local HGTV channel today at 9 PM EST and midnight tonight.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:42 PM, OLynn33 said:

Also watching from Canada it's shocking the prices on both shows. Where I live 500 thousand wouldn't even get you in the door of a detached home. Like forget bedrooms or square feet, not even in the door.

Yeah in Toronto $500K CAD can get you a studio condo.  Much harder to find a 1 bedroom for that price.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
34 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah in Toronto $500K CAD can get you a studio condo.  Much harder to find a 1 bedroom for that price.

It's all about greed. Wanted to sell my childhood home to a young couple so they could raise a family in it after my dad died this past summer. House was resonably priced but damned investors got it (buyers lied). Immediately cut down the big beautiful maple tree in the backyard to build an inlaw suite and divided the house into a duplex for renting. And the city (barrie) only cares about the money from property taxes. Lifelong neighbours are upset and so am I. 

• Sad 1