Type keyword(s) to search

My Lottery Dream Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So this is a girl from a family with money who won even more money?  Otherwise, I'm not sure how she's spending 550K while a college student unless she's getting money from her parents or she's putting in half and her parents are putting in half they get from the sale of their own house. 

I know lump sum is almost always preferred but it feels like a waste to take a lump sum she'd get over 15 years.  I guess she could make more investing it on her own but I don't know that she's going to get as much liquid money to use by investing in a house than she'd get investing it elsewhere. 

• Love 8

Yeah, this last episode gave me anxiety. 22 y/o college student wins $340K (before or after taxes--no idea!) and spends over $500K on a 5-bedroom house. I hope she had someone sensible in her life to warn her about how much taxes, HOA fees, and monthly utilities would add up to be. I got the impression that the winner and her sister did NOT come from a family with any money as they were both complaining about how their current house was small and things were falling apart in the kitchen. Good guess that the 22 y/o was some kind of influencer and had made some money from that. If so, I admire her hustle, but still she would have been wise not to spend ALL of her lottery winnings at once. She should have invested/saved some. I hope her younger sister is really smart and can get into college with a scholarship or something.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Her name his Hadleigh Painter and she's is an "influencer" with some questionable "religious" based morals. 

Can you elaborate on that?  Curious minds want to know.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, BrainyBlonde said:

Yeah, this last episode gave me anxiety. 22 y/o college student wins $340K (before or after taxes--no idea!) and spends over $500K on a 5-bedroom house. 

I felt the same way. And after reading this article all I can do is shake my head:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article242690561.html  

“I started thanking God and told her [ her mother] right away that it was His money and the first thing I wanted to do was give back to Elevation Church,” Painter said.

“The only thing I am buying for myself is a new PC for school and Twitch, which my friend Chris Tyson from the MrBeast YouTube channel is helping me build,” Painter said.

“Besides that, and tithing to Elevation Church, everything else is going into a trust,” she said.

and...

Although guaranteed $25,000 a year for life, winners can take a lump sum instead. Painter chose the lump sum of $390,000. After taxes, she took home $275,926, lottery officials said in a news release.

Clearly math is not her strong suit. I'm guessing in her mind it was worthwhile to take the lump sum because now she can post on social media about all the fun times she has with her close friends in her cool house. Apparently the trust idea went out the window. But she's sure to get lots of new "friends"! As for Elevation Church, it's a Baptist church with over 20 locations, is reportedly anti-gay (the church's founding pastor, Steven Furtick called homosexuality a sin), and follows Prosperity theology. Maybe she assumes that God will pay off the rest of her mortgage? Forget about SMDH, now my head is spinning....

https://goqnotes.com/19794/concerns-raised-as-anti-gay-elevation-church-makes-inroads-at-local-schools/

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, Mannahatta said:

Although guaranteed $25,000 a year for life,

At 22 she was crazy not to take the $25,000 for life. Someone really should have given her a math tutorial and serious financial advice.

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, Kenzie said:

At 22 she was crazy not to take the $25,000 for life. Someone really should have given her a math tutorial and serious financial advice.

I know, I thought the same thing.  Something was off about the whole thing and felt partly fictional.  Even David was quizzical about where the rest of the money was coming from for the house.  If she has that much money from her social media stuff and her family's not rich, then why isn't the rest of her family going to live there?  Unless they are going to live there and she doesn't want to admit that?  Or unless they have money and this is all a lark to her.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Kenzie said:

It depends.  Yes, given how young she is, the overall payout would be much larger than the 360K offered her. If she lives 60 more years, the payout would be about 1.5 million not including taxes. 

But she'd probably be able to grow that 275K faster if she takes it as a lump sum and invested it since interest would compound.  She'd get there in half that time with conservative returns on investments. 

Had she invested it, taking it lump sum would have been the smartest move.  But she bought a house so yea, not so smart.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But she'd probably be able to grow that 275K faster if she takes it as a lump sum and invested it since interest would compound.  She'd get there in half that time with conservative returns on investments. 

Had she invested it, taking it lump sum would have been the smartest move.  But she bought a house so yea, not so smart.

Speaking of investing it, I found the following passage from that article posted above from the Charlotte Observer to be interesting.  This was obviously written before she bought the house:

“The only thing I am buying for myself is a new PC for school and Twitch, which my friend Chris Tyson from the MrBeast YouTube channel is helping me build,” Painter said.

“Besides that, and tithing to Elevation Church, everything else is going into a trust,” she said.

So what happened to the trust idea?  Sounds to me like at least part of the house money is coming from another source, not her winnings.  I'd be more inclined to believe she put the money in investments and her family or her own earnings from SM is buying the house.  I still feel like we weren't told the truth.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Vermicious Knid said:

As for investing, one bad investment and everything could be wiped out.

Sure.  But the idea is you'd diversity the investments and let it ride.  Yes, it could go down next year but then you'll have years like the current one where returns were about 10-15%

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Sure.  But the idea is you'd diversity the investments and let it ride.  Yes, it could go down next year but then you'll have years like the current one where returns were about 10-15%

Yeah, and she's young enough that in the big picture whatever market volatility she lives through would still put her enough on the plus side to make the investing worthwhile.  I have only to look at how my retirement accounts have grown over the past 30 years to confirm that.  But as far as whether that's a better idea than the yearly or monthly money is something I'd have to have my financial whiz friend figure out for me based on historical market trends and expected rate of return.  I still wonder whether the $25,000 per year might be a better choice for someone her age.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2

I'm guessing they shot the NC episode quite a while ago, before prices went up so much.    

Tonight's new one in Canton, OH is interesting.    I like that they were bankrupt a few years ago, and now could buy a nice family house.   I like the one they picked with the two car garage.     Though the second house with the Big Foot silhouette on the outbuilding was fun. 

• Love 2

Canton. He said he wanted a bar and lo and behold, the third one had a bar. With all the snow, I couldn't tell where the lake was, to see if they were close, or had a good view. David was hysterical comparing himself to the Bigfoot silhouette. That was so sweet they named their new puppy after him.

• Love 3
On 6/5/2021 at 6:49 PM, Grrarrggh said:

I wish David would stop saying things like "you're a millionaire!" to people who won $1 million. After taxes they're more like $710,000aires. 

And he's always so excited and envious of them.....hilarious because he's a multi-millionaire himself.

(I love David and he's most likely just following the script.)

• Love 5

So I watched the Oak Ridge, TN episode, and at the final house the human billboard was griping about how cold it was (very sharp leather jacket, btw.)  They tour the home, then come outside to discuss the pros and cons, but when they finish he starts up about the cold and says, "Let's go back inside and have some soup and sandwiches."  Wait, who does that in someone else's home that you are touring?  This ain't Goldilocks.

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, pep4 said:

So I watched the Oak Ridge, TN episode, and at the final house the human billboard was griping about how cold it was (very sharp leather jacket, btw.)  They tour the home, then come outside to discuss the pros and cons, but when they finish he starts up about the cold and says, "Let's go back inside and have some soup and sandwiches."  Wait, who does that in someone else's home that you are touring?  This ain't Goldilocks.

Was it the home they eventually chose?  I forget.  Maybe he slipped since it was already their house anyway?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

The young couple on tonight's new episode were adorable!     Their first home will be their forever home.    I liked all three houses.     

The first house was nice, and I'm so glad they chose that one.  I really liked that one.   

The second home's orange kitchen cabinets were awful though.     The second house was over 100 years old, but very nice 

The third house was so cute, and the finished basement doubled the size of the house.    That house was overly decorated too, and the shiplap everywhere in the basement was way too much.   I was very glad that the third house wasn't actually the couple's house.     That house needed 50% less furniture, and a lot fewer throws, and stuff everywhere. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
On 6/11/2021 at 8:30 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The third house was so cute, and the finished basement doubled the size of the house.    That house was overly decorated too, and the shiplap everywhere in the basement was way too much.  

OMG it was like a Hobby Lobby and a Home Goods exploded all over the place!

I couldn't believe it when David said something about how putting a lot of furniture in a room makes it look bigger.  In what alternate universe?

On 6/11/2021 at 10:00 PM, Grizzly said:

I thought for sure the third house was theirs since it had so much stuff in it. All I could think is the seller's realtor forgot to say "declutter".

Somehow I knew that wasn't their style.  That place screamed middle aged single woman with OCD and way too much time on her hands all over it, LOL.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

So much clutter. The owner has obviously never heard 'less is more'. Can I say, five bedroom house with a pool for $165,000? Holy schnikes! But that close to the Canadian border it will be a very short period they can use the pool.

I know!  I couldn't believe two of the 3 houses had a pool.  I told my husband it seemed like a waste for the few weeks out of every year they could use it.  Plus I don't think they even asked for a pool.

Excuse my language, but to us native NYC-ers, there is upstate, way upstate and way the FUCK upstate, and this one was the third one, LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I never thought Binghamton was that hard to pronounce. Not mentioned on the show, this is also the home to SUNY (State University of New York) Binghamton. Decent school. Good choice of the first home. If they actually finish the basement they could put in another half bath. Second house would have worked for them as well. Third house needed the entire kitchen ripped out, and I have serious concerns about the ceiling when they panned over it. Seemed to be sagging in places. Of maybe I've just been watching too much Mike Holmes.

This is the second episode to feature a winner who inexplicably resembles Cletus, the Slack Jawed Yokel.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I think the Binghamton couple really chose the best of the three.   I really wondered if the third house was the one, but fortunately that's not their house.    I liked the first one the most, and I'm so glad the third one wasn't their home, it needed way too much work.   The second one didn't appeal to me at all.   I wonder how long ago this was filmed?   And how the prices would be if they filmed right now.   

I've known people who had one particular word they just couldn't pronounce without working on it.    So, David not being able to say Binghamton was something I could relate to. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I never thought Binghamton was that hard to pronounce.

Me neither.  He's not from NY but I guess he never watched "McHale's Navy".  Captain Binghamton!

I actually liked the second house better, but I can see why they went for the first.

• Love 1

I liked the Binghamton couple a lot. They were very down to earth and humble. A house with 2 bed/2 bath seemed extravagant to them. They didn't care about high end fixtures. Unlike what we're getting on HH. And was it me or at house #3, was the husband wearing David's coat from the meet n greet?

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm surprised the new one is still a Florida episode.   Often, when a certain area has a tragedy, they don't show the episodes for a while.    The couple are looking in East Coast of Florida, east of Orlando.   Allison and Rob, won $6 million, and have a big budget.    They were located near Miami, and are moving to Brevard County.      The daughter is on a basketball (or volleyball, oops!) scholarship at University of Texas, El Paso.

They want new, with a million dollar budget.   $1 million to $1.4 million if it includes the furnishings (yes, I know that means they already own it).  3 baths, 3 or more bedrooms.  I love the ocean green color. 

#1-Indian River Estate, new with a pool.   3 bed 2/5 bath over 3,000 sq. ft. $1.2 million (furnished). I hate the open shelving in the kitchen.  Super high ceilings.    I think it's builder staging.  I love the main bedroom and bath.   The pool and outdoor kitchen are great.   Golf course off the back of the house.  I didn't like the location, or the odd layout of the house on the lot.   

#2-Royal Palm Manor, new with a screened in pool.    3 bed 4 bath 3500 sq. ft., $1.2 million.  I love the front doors.   I don't like the shiny floor tile.   I love the kitchen so much better than yesterday's kitchen.    The main bathroom is fantastic.  There's a nice home gym.  Pool, hot tub, outdoor kitchen and firepit.  The bar, and outdoor kitchen are lovely.   

#3-Melbourne Mansion on an acre of land,  7 beds, 7 baths, 5800 sq. ft. and $1.25 million.  2 story with a fantastic entry.   Railings on both sets of stairs, and Cat walk are spectacular.   I like the kitchen.   Huge family room and dining room.   2 main suites, one on the first floor, and another on the second floor.   Huge double closets in each main suite.     An interesting guest room that's down a few stairs.   I love the back yard.   I didn't notice a pool, but they could build a fantastic pool, with a spa, screened room, outdoor kitchen.   My opinion, for two people with two kids, one in college, and one almost there, 7 bedrooms would have been wasted.  

They choose #2.   Royal Palm Manor.    I really love that house.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

And I loved the outfit Allison wore when they went through house #2. Not sure why they dragged the kids along, kids added nothing. I thought the daughter said volleyball but whatever. Guess the height is on Allison's side of the family.

Why do million dollar houses only have 3 bedrooms? But CrazyinAlabama is right, the 7 bedroom would be too big.

I was pretty impressed the 7 bed 7 bath with an acre of land was only $1.25 million. But it can't beat 5 bed with a pool for $165K :). I think I would have gone with house 1 but I loved the front door too on house 2, along with it's master bath and walk in closet. All three were actually beautiful. And these winners were legit millionaires finally.

• Love 4

Finally a show with houses worthy of being on a show about lottery dream homes!

Such a nice family, too.  

I didn't like the situation of house #1.  It was in a strange area on a main road with large institutional buildings right across the street.  It was right up close to two other houses probably built at the same time by the same builder and the properties were in a weird corner of a golf course.  It was as if the golf course owner decided to cash in on a couple of acres at the edge of the property.  Very strange.  

I liked house #2 but I tend to find the no-color ultra modern look a little austere.  But as those things go it was very nice.  I wonder what David thinks about that style since he used to have a show called "Color Splash", LOL.

House #3 looked very much like the Florida home of one of my husband's very rich clients, but having seen a zillion photos of that house online I can honestly say that this one didn't compare, which explains the lower price.  It came down to finishing touches that needed updating and other oddities like weird room shapes and sizes, etc.  When you're in this price range the house can look great to us "common folk" but rich people will expect more!

Good episode, I hope they try to find more winners like this!

• Love 4

Yeah. I was going to skip it because I usually skip FL shows (not an anti-FL thing, just that the houses they've done in FL tend to be boring) and shows with very low budgets but the houses in this episode were nice.

• Love 3
On 5/9/2021 at 8:08 PM, Yeah No said:

They didn't focus on the scene long enough to see any response, but that doesn't matter.  Often people (especially older people) don't react to comments like that in public in order to remain polite.  But they may not like it nonetheless.  I know a lot of women who wouldn't appreciate another person male or female making such a comment to their husband.  They'd be like, "back off, he's mine" about it.

If someone called my husband a silver fox, I'd be like, "Isn't he, though? And he's mine!"

• LOL 1
(edited)

What an amazing episode.  "From Portland to Paradise" is the title, and the description from the cable guide:  "A Portland man is homeless when he inherits $1.4 million after his mother passes away:"   David and Melanie.  He lost his job, couldn't afford anything, and only had his backpack.  3 bed/2 bath/pool with a bird cage screen enclosure. Lanai, outdoor space, and maybe a boat dock.   $420k is the max budget.  However, he wants one on a canal. 

Moving from Portland to Cape Coral, FL.    (There's been at least one other house hunter looking in Cape Coral).

House #1-Buttonwood Canal, 4 bed 4 bath, $419,000 . almost 3,000sq. ft.    huge kitchen, tile floor.   main bedroom is huge, en suite is fantastic.   The screened pool is spectacular.

House #2-The Verbenas (no pool), 3 bed, 2 bath, 1655 sq. ft., $329,000.   Nice kitchen, tile floors everywhere, including wood look tile in the bedrooms.    Beautiful, screened Lanai, with a big yard, with nice landscaping.  Totally renovated. 

House #3- Hibiscus Haven,    needs some updates, but has a pool. and a bird cage/screened cover, 3 bed,  2bath 2,044 sq. ft. $384,000.    Nice kitchen, but needs stone counter tops, split floor plan.   Main bedroom is nice, with access to the pool, nice bathroom, still needs granite or quartz counter tops.   Pool is lovely, and has the concrete patio ready for a pool fence.  

They choose: #1,  I really thought that they would go for #3.   

I wondered about the heavy tan on his face, but with his forehead still not-tanned.   Then at the end it showed him fishing, and wearing a ball cap, so that explained the tan marks.   I bet he really enjoys fishing, and hanging out by that spectacular pool.    I bet the wife or girlfriend was the one who wanted to be on TV, and he was just a reluctant participant, and he seemed shy too, so being on TV with David, and all of the hoopla that goes with it, was probably overwhelming.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I liked #3 as well for them. But this episode leaves me with so many questions that have nothing to do with houses and are none of my business. Were they a couple before he lost his job? Were they both homeless? What was his relationship with his mother like? If she was sitting on all this money, why couldn't she prevent him from being homeless? At the end, the girlfriend mentioned grandkids. Are they hers, his or theirs? He seemed to personify socially awkward, wonder why he decided to be on tv?

• Love 9

Since they didn’t go into detail about the homelessness, I thought he might have moved in with mom/girlfriend/friend when he couldn’t pay his rent. I didn’t get the idea he had been on the street. It’s likely the majority of his inheritance was from the sale of his mom’s home and maybe life insurance. To me, he seemed a little depressed. Although inheriting money is great, I can imagine some may feel guilty for having fun spending money one only received because mom died. He probably did the show for the girlfriend. I hope the house is only in his name. 

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, MakingBacon said:

Since they didn’t go into detail about the homelessness, I thought he might have moved in with mom/girlfriend/friend when he couldn’t pay his rent. I didn’t get the idea he had been on the street. It’s likely the majority of his inheritance was from the sale of his mom’s home and maybe life insurance. To me, he seemed a little depressed. Although inheriting money is great, I can imagine some may feel guilty for having fun spending money one only received because mom died. He probably did the show for the girlfriend. I hope the house is only in his name. 

Yeah, I can identify with that.  My father passed from Covid in April of 2020 and I felt that way when I sold his apartment, which was worth about a 3rd of what this man inherited.  My family left me no other money.  I didn't have much money before this and was worrying that I didn't have enough saved for retirement (I'm 63) but now I have an investment account and my retirement is somewhat secure.  It's a very bittersweet thing.

• Love 7

If he lost his job and was homeless, he probably should have bought a less expensive home.  There are estate taxes on an inheritance so he most likely received less that the 1.4 million (and it's based on where the person died, not where the heir lives).  While Florida doesn't have a state income tax, they most definitely do have property taxes.  Hopefully he has a job or some other income, otherwise the expense of having a home may lead to his losing it.

• Love 3

I love this show and I love David!

For the latest episode, the family who won $6 million, I was torn between house 1 (SUCH HIGH CEILINGS I COULD CRY) and house 2 - it was just cool.  House 3 gave me anxiety.  It was so uber closed concept.  I thought I was fine with closed concept, but that house just made me so uncomfortable.

Glad they chose 2!

• Love 3
(edited)

A woman who was widowed about a year ago, Charity, and her two adult daughters are house hunting.   The mother was the winner.   The older daughter, Cassie (Cassidy),  lives in Indiana, PA (I actually know where that is, for once), and the younger daughter, April, is deaf, and an artist.   This is in the Pittsburgh area, Leechburg.  

3 bed 2 bath, up to $300k.    

House 1-White Pines Way, a really cute townhome, 3 bed, 3 1/2 bath 1344 sq. ft. 1 car garage.  1st floor open kitchen, dining, living room with a nice kitchen.  Bedrooms are upstairs 2 bath, 3 bedrooms up.     There's another apartment type area in the basement, with a bathroom, so daughter April likes that.   No yardwork, that's included in the HOA fees.  $169,000. 

House 2-Carnaham Creek, 3 1/4 acres, and a new build.    3 bed 2 bath 2,000 sq. ft. $295k,  What a lovely house.   Huge, open kitchen, with granite, lots of counter space, and storage.  Open to the Living/Dining room.   I love the wooden ceiling in the living room.   3 bedrooms, and 2 baths are great.  Lots of room for family to visit, and for their dogs.  Nice flat yard, lots of lawn.   (If it's a new build, then why is there a deck, and raised place for an above ground pool?)  (,I bet there was a previous house with the pool, and that house was removed, and the new build was put there.). 

House 3-Goldenrod Acres, close to a busy road.      They'll appreciate that main road during the winter.   3 bed, 2 1/2 bath,  1860 sq. ft. $195,000 on one acre of land.  Nice kitchen, 1/2 bath and nice bathroom, nice living room, on the first floor, with a bedroom. second floor 2 guest bedrooms, and a guest bath.    above ground pool, fire pit, no noise in the back yard.   

They pick #2 Carnahan Creek, and I love that choice.  What a lovely home, and I hope the family is very happy there. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

(If it's a new build, then why is there a deck, and raised place for an above ground pool?) 

Yes! Clearly the pool was there and removed. Maybe it came with the build and they didn't want it?

Whomever buys house 3 has got to get rid of those textured accent walls, especially the red. That was just awful.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Whomever buys house 3 has got to get rid of those textured accent walls, especially the red. That was just awful.

Yeah, that house was underwhelming.  They couldn't pick a nicer house to show?  That bathroom with the tiny sink on a huge wall.  Looks like it was a do it yourself redo from 15 years ago with cheap Home Depot stuff.  I didn't really care for the townhome either.  They picked the right house even though it had a huge lawn.

The widow looked so somber, I felt bad for her.  David was his usual manic self and to this introvert it felt a little bit like he wasn't reading the room.  A few moments were a tad awkward.  But I think they liked him, at any rate.

• Love 3

David's Dream Home.    David hunts for his dream home in Orlando, with two of his friends.  Edward Johnston,  a real estate agent, and Greg his BFF,  in Delaney Park or College Park

What he wants:  3 or 4 bed, 3 or 4 bath , budget $800k to $900k, sq. ft.  With a pool.   

House #1-Delaney Park,  Bellamere $799k, 4 bed, 3.5 bath, 2800+ sq. ft., built in the 1920s.  Great size rooms, beautiful hardwoods, lots of heritage / character features.  2 guest rooms upstairs. Main bedroom has a smallish closet, en suite is lovely.  2 car garage isn't it's an entertainment center with a full bath (this is the 4th bedroom)

XHouse #2-Palomar Estates in College Park, near downtown.  4 bed 3.5 bath  $874k.  Higher ceilings.    Living room has no good place for a TV.  Backyard is small, no pool or room for one.   This one is off the list, yard is tiny.  

House #3- in Windermere,  Magnolia Mansion   5 bed 4.5 bath, 4056 sq. ft. $874k.   A big wine storage area.   Main has pool access, and is huge.   Bathroom on main is huge, and wonderful, except the tub might be a little small.    Kitchen is nice size, with great finishes.  Family room off of kitchen is beautiful, and room for a TV.   3 guest beds upstairs.  Pool is screened, and with a nice pool and spa.    Location is an issue.  It's further from downtown than David wants to be, but closer to the theme parks.  

House #4- WInter Park, the Trismen Tudor,  with 5   bed, 4 bath,   2880  sq. ft.   price $950k  I love the neighborhood, and the outside of the house.    Great entry, and the only open floor plan of the four houses.  Kitchen has a huge island, great kitchen, farm house sink,.   2 upstairs guest beds, and a first floor guest room for his parents.    The pool is beautiful, huge, a covered outdoor kitchen, with an art studio place.    The    pool is huge, and spectacular   I would save up and screen everything from the outdoor kitchen/art studio , pool to the main house patio.  

He picks #4 (not a surprise, with the decorating style)  Trismen Tudor.    

• Love 4

Noted a few things. Didn't say how much he actually paid. They didn't tour the bathroom of the master suite, and didn't show the closet. Probably because all his clothes were already in there and he didn't want the world to see his actual bathroom.

• Love 5