Type keyword(s) to search

My Lottery Dream Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, debraran said:

I liked this one also and for the first time, it seemed David took more than the 3 homes he usually takes from realtor, although amount was the same in showing. He also will ask if they want to see more now but that is of course not part of the setup of the show.  I assume they are usually bought first so the couple might not be together in showing them, I know my husband wouldn't want to be on TV.

The second home was nice and you don't get elevators often in homes.  I liked the fireplace and deck. No shower! I would be the same way, not a bath person. ; )

I liked the third home and color. I wonder how much insurance is so close to the water for these type of homes. I can bet it would be high.

I think they would be happy in either and am glad they love it.

I have a feeling her husband is disabled or has trouble walking since David made a quick remark that elevator would be good for her husband when in the second home. I thought that was her neighbor at end?

Yes she got the house near her friend who toured with her. Good point about the buying of the house before and the husband. Honestly though, I’d want a bath, because I love them.

The story of the win was so cute on tonight's episode.   The wife's voice was a bit much, but I couldn't tell if it was just her natural voice or not.    

I love their choice of the first house with the great kitchen, and that everything was done, and there was an en suite.      They have great taste, we have the same granite.    The dog was so cute.  I know they were talking about the busy street, but after a snowstorm, they'll be glad their road was cleared first.     

The second vintage house would have been a money pit.   I couldn't tell if the backyard garage was shared driveway and garage, or not.   

The third was OK but definitely needed some updates for the kitchen, like granite or quartz counter tops.    The bathrooms were OK, but I liked the first house's master bath so much better.    I liked the deck, but I liked the first house back yard much better.  

• Love 2

I was looking forward to this episode, my daughter went to school for 4 years in Worcester MA and I love vintage homes.  Worcester can be gritty but does have lovely areas.  I hope they can afford the home later.  With my early 20's salary, a home worth 400.000 would have been too expensive for me to keep up with taxes and other home costs etc.  You get about 650,000 so if they invest the rest well, should be fine. (and family might be well off)

The first was lovely, but not really "vintage" kind of plain rooms with molding etc.  Loved the tub though and bathroom.

I didn't like the second as much, but do love the vintage stairs, saw that in a home near me and thought it was so cool.  The older home I saw though had a lot of Victorian touches and built-ins.

I liked the third, not cabinets but better than mine. : )  Kind of lackluster for the money but master bedroom/bath was nice. Very crowded, all of them, near neighbors but that's the area. I can see my back and side neighbors but the last home, on deck, you can see a lot of them.

I think they picked a nice home and although she was a bit grating voice-wise, seemed like a nice couple.

And being in the NE, I agree, be where they plow first. lol

• Love 3
(edited)

The reason he did not choose to buy in Chicago is most likely it is way too expensive for what you get plus taxes are out of control and it is not safe the closer you get to the city! 

Actually, a property in a big city like NY, Chicago or San Francisco is EXACTLY what I would buy and use it for a vacation place.  I would get a condo with incredible views and a doorman and a first-floor garage and then continue to live in my small town on a daily basis.

Chicago is NOT dangerous.  Since the city is basically a series of small towns knitted together, you can easily stay out of the gang-ridden areas and get a delightful place in an area like Andersonville, just blocks from the lake and close to shops, restaurants and transportation.  In NYC, a family member had a wonderful one-bedroom apartment in Brooklyn, a block from the East River with a view of the Statue of Liberty, for only $1,300 a month.  And she parked her car on the STREET.  

One of the financial magazines did a very thorough article on one of the winners of the HGTV Dream Home and they broke down all the expenses and challenges.  The winners wanted to open a bed-and-breakfast to help with expenses but the neighbors got together and made sure the zoning stayed single-family.  

***  Tangentially related:  60 Minutes tonight is doing a piece on people who win multiple lotteries.  **** 

Edited by AuntieDiane6
To add the 60 Minutes mention
  • Love 1

David's first double winner.   I can't imagine winning $100,000 and then weeks later winning $750,000.      I loved the first house, and the fact it was near the daughter and grandson was great.  I'm glad he chose that one.    

The second was OK, but the angled kitchen looked small and awkward, and the living room looked small too. 

I loved the third one, but it didn't look as homey as the first one, and the location wasn't as good.  

I thought they had double winner before, maybe "second chance" doesn't count.

First was nice,  wish the back had fenced in yard, might help with traffic. Second was different, I thought angles would be cool for someone but I don't like it as much.  I don't see why you need a really large bedroom but I guess he had to say something. : )

The third, I liked the look, love that brownstone type exterior. Lot of stairs for older individual but very nice.  End units have a lot of perks others don't. No bath on second floor with kitchen?

I wonder what the common fees were?

I hope he enjoys his home and how sweet he could help daughter. He seemed to talk about selling one day and that wouldn't be in my mind at the time of buying I guess. Maybe he feels it will be too much as he gets older.

Edited by debraran

I was thinking that the daughter might move eventually, and the man knew that, and he would move too.     

Even though I'm not expecting to move, I always consider resale.   You never know what life will throw at you, and it's miserable to have a house that won't sell.  Also, if a house has bad resale value, you might have made a mistake about buying in that location if it's because of increasing crime, bad schools, or a number of other factors.  

Also, I'm sure all three townhouses had HOAs, and some are much better run than others, so buying in a development with higher costs, or that's not well maintained could be a deal breaker for many buyers.    I really like the first floor master for him, since he was medically retired from the military.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:27 AM, debraran said:

I thought they had double winner before, maybe "second chance" doesn't count.

If I understand correctly, you take your losing scratch ticket and enter it in a drawing for a "second chance" drawing.  So a "second chance" winner is not a double winner.

I would not want a townhouse with all those stairs, especially the third one (even though it was pretty).  I can't imagine hauling all my groceries up a floor.  I liked the one he chose, the master was on the lower level.

• Love 3

I loved the new episode last night about the man who won so much, and was looking at wonderful houses.    I love that the one year update showed him still with the girlfriend, and the kid, but mostly for the kid, in that great custom house.   I don't know if it's his kid too or not, but they were so great together.     I love how he made everything what he wanted.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I was glad to see a winner from my area of Philadelphia. Although, he didn’t buy anywhere near the city. It was funny David he wanted a modern house but later realized he just wanted new. Obviously, they are two totally things but at least he was honest about it. He seemed like a nice guy. The non girlfriend thing is funny. They were still together but not together. I guess there are worse things that could happen, right? The house was pretty big but I didn’t care for the dark exterior house color. The inside was nice though. 

• Love 2
On 2/9/2019 at 12:34 PM, ByaNose said:

I was glad to see a winner from my area of Philadelphia. Although, he didn’t buy anywhere near the city. It was funny David he wanted a modern house but later realized he just wanted new. Obviously, they are two totally things but at least he was honest about it. He seemed like a nice guy. The non girlfriend thing is funny. They were still together but not together. I guess there are worse things that could happen, right? The house was pretty big but I didn’t care for the dark exterior house color. The inside was nice though. 

I like what he decided to do with his custom house. I liked the location too with the pond. 

On 2/11/2019 at 12:16 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I believe it was $4 million, in the gambler in Philadelphia area show from last Friday. 

I just saw it, the girl seemed a little uncomfortable during the tour, but it is awkward to be filmed and scripted. Some do it better than others.

I loved the floor to ceiling windows, the pond and scenery. I don't know how far out he was from a city but I'd probably go a little nuts too. ; )

I understand why lottery big winners wouldn't want to advertise themselves on TV, and certainly not show the city and house in which they live. But I'm surprised whomever conceived of this program didn't seem to consider this. At all.

Every week I become more disillusioned with the show's premise. This season it became obvious to me many of the participants have budgets equal to or lower than the budgets of average homebuyers on other HGTV programs, such as House Hunters - especially house hunters in states known for their high cost of real estate, such as California.

So I roll my eyes when David gets all excited over (supposedly) "get[ting] to spend" $250,000.00 of a lottery winner's million dollar prize, knowing in some states $250,000.00 would barely get someone a toolshed on a tiny plot of land. Places where the average price of a starter home is often upwards of $750,000.00 - let alone buy them a "lottery dream home". 

Actually, I don't see any reason for the participants of this show not to be on House Hunters instead. Just mention during the TH at the beginning of each episode, in which the participants normally explain why they're moving and what they're looking for, the money for the home is coming from a lottery win - and be done with it!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Every week I become more disillusioned with the show's premise.

You know which home they will select, because there's always the < wink wink > "does the house come furnished?"  To which David replies, "we can negotiate it in the offer".

But then, if they already own the home, and they've already moved in with their furnishings, whose house are they in at the beginning meet-and-greet, where David comments on how cute their home is?

• Love 2

I loved all three homes they looked at tonight.     The couple were so hysterical.    The condo was way too small, the second was fabulous.   

The second I saw the third one was furnished, and then the pool and casita that were so fantastic I knew it was their house,     I knew we would hear the magic phrase "can we get it with the furnishings". I loved the third house, it was so lovely that I would have been really sad if it wasn't their choice. 

With a $15 million win, even after taxes, if the third houses wouldn't have been their pick they could have bought it anyway.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved all three homes they looked at tonight.     The couple were so hysterical.    The condo was way too small, the second was fabulous.   

The second I saw the third one was furnished, and then the pool and casita that were so fantastic I knew it was their house,     I knew we would hear the magic phrase "can we get it with the furnishings". I loved the third house, it was so lovely that I would have been really sad if it wasn't their choice.  

I could live in the pool house and be happy a happy camper. It was the best option and best house. $15 Million on a scratch off!!!!! Dang!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I could live in the pool house and be happy a happy camper. It was the best option and best house. $15 Million on a scratch off!!!!! Dang!

40 is a lot to pay for a scratch off but she did get it back : )

I agree, first too small, I didn't like all the white in the second one but that can be changed. I do like vintage looks, molding etc and everything was so plain. I did like the lake though.

The third had them all over it so a good pick for them.

I tried 20 dollars scratch off once and lost and that hurt. I don't know if I'd ever be able to do 40 but I still will occasionally buy my 3-5 ones. ; )

• Love 1

Last nights 'new' episode was a clip show of the three house hunts that were the most expensive.    The people from Minnesota, who had the German Shepherds, and bought the lovely house, the people from the Hamptons (the husband that wanted a lot of bathrooms, I really liked him, and his wife too), and the people who bought the mountain top house in California.  

16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Last nights 'new' episode was a clip show of the three house hunts that were the most expensive.    The people from Minnesota, who had the German Shepherds, and bought the lovely house, the people from the Hamptons (the husband that wanted a lot of bathrooms, I really liked him, and his wife too), and the people who bought the mountain top house in California.  

I remember the update for the mountain house earlier, his son was sick. https://people.com/home/mega-millions-lottery-winner-selling-california-house-photos/

Sad reminder, money can't buy health, better treatments, but not health.  I hope they find a buyer.

• Love 1

I loved the repeat buyer in Massachusetts.   She was the one who bought the house with her two daughters, fixed it up, reconnected with her high school love, and then the daughters were moving on, and she and boyfriend will get their own place.    Apparently, she made a bundle on the first house too.     

I love that the couple wanted something cozy, and not a mega mansion.      All three houses were lovely, and I like that the woman picked by the one that had the best location, and had the most critical infrastructure already updated.     The one they picked was so nice, and peaceful.    

• Love 2
10 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved the repeat buyer in Massachusetts.   She was the one who bought the house with her two daughters, fixed it up, reconnected with her high school love, and then the daughters were moving on, and she and boyfriend will get their own place.    Apparently, she made a bundle on the first house too.     

I love that the couple wanted something cozy, and not a mega mansion.      All three houses were lovely, and I like that the woman picked by the one that had the best location, and had the most critical infrastructure already updated.     The one they picked was so nice, and peaceful.    

I liked it too but and love those type of homes. I'm not a modern type at all.

Kind of tacky of David to ask him (jokingly) if that is why he hooked up with her but hey, most people had it go through their minds. Maybe why she said NO marriage. ; )

I liked the original show also and how she reached out to some fans who had questions. They seemed "real".

• Love 2
On 2/23/2019 at 9:35 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

<snip> [T]he people from the Hamptons (the husband that wanted a lot of bathrooms, I really liked him, and his wife too) <snip>

Ah...but he said "baffrooms" - and it made my ears bleed every time he said it...

And really, if you need to be within a few feet of a bathroom at all times, maybe use part of those lottery winnings to see a doctor? Because a healthy body normally allows one to walk a few yards to relieve oneself when one gets the urge...

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

The reason the man in the Hamptons episode wanted so many facilities is that the daughter and wife would hog the bathroom in their current apartment, and he couldn't get in to use one.   

I loved seeing the huge beach houses in tonight's new episode.     It was a nice change from smaller houses people look for.      I really liked all three houses, and really loved the third one.     The water views and access in the third house were spectacular.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 3/3/2019 at 12:37 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

Ah...but he said "baffrooms" - and it made my ears bleed every time he said it...

And really, if you need to be within a few feet of a bathroom at all times, maybe use part of those lottery winnings to see a doctor? Because a healthy body normally allows one to walk a few yards to relieve oneself when one gets the urge...

Wow that’s a little harsh.  Maybe he hasn’t seen a doctor and you don’t know that? 

• Love 1

the newer the episode the more tattoos david has...He has so many on his arm it just looks like a giant mishmash, I find it distracting, but he is a funny guy!...I don't get it either that these people are on tv nad telling the world they won the lotto and we see what house they bought....so states keep the winner name confidential....if you live in a state that doesn't  then claim it under a trust or corporation so your name is not released, that's why you go to a money planner when you win, not like that dope who just won the mega last week, blabbing all over the place, went right to the lottery office the next day so you know he didn't take the time to talk to a planner...and he said those who were nice to him before he would help but anyone who wasn't nada....oh and his ex said she didn't care how much he won (300 mill I think) she still didn't want him back!!! how big of an ass must he be for her to say that

• Love 1
7 hours ago, sue450 said:

the newer the episode the more tattoos david has...He has so many on his arm it just looks like a giant mishmash, I find it distracting, but he is a funny guy!...I don't get it either that these people are on tv nad telling the world they won the lotto and we see what house they bought....so states keep the winner name confidential....if you live in a state that doesn't  then claim it under a trust or corporation so your name is not released, that's why you go to a money planner when you win, not like that dope who just won the mega last week, blabbing all over the place, went right to the lottery office the next day so you know he didn't take the time to talk to a planner...and he said those who were nice to him before he would help but anyone who wasn't nada....oh and his ex said she didn't care how much he won (300 mill I think) she still didn't want him back!!! how big of an ass must he be for her to say that

Wow, that is something, re the ex, either he would never take her back or if he wanted too and she said No, he was a total ass and understandable. Money makes some think they can do whatever they want and people will listen.  Ugly combo.

I did notice that some people on show have their real names or first names but one woman didn't. She won near a friend in Massachusetts and wanted a small home she could afford in an expensive area. Didn't seem like much more prices were sky high. I looked up recent winners and she wasn't there but then I saw her picture and name was different. David did laugh when he said here name initially, maybe that was something she needed to feel safer from people doing what I did. 😉

The last one with the beach houses was kind of a yawn for me, they all looked the same in some ways or maybe I've seen enough. lol  I really like older vintage homes and they only had a show like that for a year, but it was fun looking at the oldhuge  Victorians with all the nooks and crannies and built-ins, balconies and window seats.

Sometimes I dislike the homes picked or wonder why David picked the ones he did to show,  but he probably doesn't want to outshine the one picked by them.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

Keep in mind different states have different disclosure laws regarding lottery winners and many don't allow you to remain anonymous as the lotteries are administered by a state agency and are thus subject to sunshine laws.  Only a handful allow you to remain completely anonymous, some make the information public no matter how small the win, some have a dollar amount threshold, some hold the info for 30/60/90 days.  Most people don't think to create a trust or an LLC (or don't have the filing costs) to claim the ticket or would even know how to go about doing it so it would be tax advantageous (i.e. setting up a MD or DE trust or corp).  Also, people do dumb stuff when they get that much money and start spending it before they have it in hand.  

That said, I like David.  He has a very gentle and calming way about him while still being high energy.  He's not judgy of people and their preferences and doesn't try to impose his style on his clients which is so nice to see.  It's also nice to see people trying to live within the confines of the money they've won and not have unrealistic expectations or going overly ostentatious.  It's also nice to see people who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford a home buy one.  I also find it gratifying that so many people are buying older homes instead of building/buying new.  The most prominent feature of your front facade should not be the hole through which you drive your car; I really despise that particular architectural trend.  

• Love 9

I loved the young couple from Las Vegas.    The houses were all spectacular, and I loved the house they picked.    I didn't like the last house, it was lovely inside, had a great backyard, but all of the neighboring houses towered over the house.    

I loved the kitchen in the house they picked.   The island, and the floor plan was spectacular.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I lived in Vegas most of my life so it was nice to see it portrayed as a normal city and not all glitz and glamor - looking at your Flip or Flop LV.   I'm sure it was exciting to win $320k, but for him being a professional gambler, I would think they would be a little more cautious with how they spend their money.  I didn't hear what she did for work, so maybe she's the breadwinner and his winnings are "extra".   I'm glad they picked the 2nd house - I loved it too!  If they wanted a big backyard, they should have definitely went with an older home.  Most of the ones built before 1990ish have larger lots.  My parents house was built in '79 on a pie shaped lot because it was located on an "inside corner" of a cul de sac.  At 1/3 of an acre, it was considered HUGE by Vegas standards.  I had to laugh when David said there were so many "funky" neighborhoods around the city.  I have to disagree...most of the neighborhoods are just tract homes and if you go to custom built neighborhoods, "funky" wouldn't be the word I would use to describe them.  

• Love 2
On 3/16/2019 at 5:37 PM, juliet73 said:

most of the neighborhoods are just tract homes

I thought the houses on the street all looked alike - I might get confused as to which one was mine.

Nice couple.  Maybe they are using the $320k in addition to the $$ equity from the sale of their home....

• Love 1

$1.6 million winner, professional poker player moving to Vegas.     This better be a bunch of fabulous homes.  The husband is funny, and the wife is a hoot.     Why is David wearing his pajamas to show the first house?   

The first house needs a ton of work. and it's right next to the highway.    I didn't like the backyard.    

The second house.   Tony the Ant Spilotro?  They used to separate family, and business so it's very logical it was the family home.         $500k worth of jewels hidden?   That house is not really high end is it?   It's very dated, but the pool is fabulous.

The third house.   I like the front entrance.   I love the second floor bedrooms, with that huge balcony.  The backyard  is spectacular, and perfect for the couple.      

I can't believe they picked the first house, right next to the highway, and on a corner.  Of course, they "bought the furniture" with it.    I hope they fix the yard up a lot, because it needs work, and the wall removal with an island will be great for the kitchen.  

• Love 3

Glad to have found this topic. I've only started watching this show in the last couple of months. Love this show and the host, David. I like living vicariously through the different lottery winners and guessing at which home they will choose.

The subject of winners being allowed to remain anonymous was mentioned upthread. From doing a little internet research, I found that their are six states--Kansas, Maryland, Ohio, Delaware, North Dakota and South Carolina that allow winners to remain anonymous; Georgia is currently considering doing so as well. Frankly, I think that people should have the option to remain anonymous in every state and Washington, D.C. that has Mega Millions or Powerball. There are just too many predators out there looking to separate folks from their money by conning them or by more violent means.

• Love 8
On 3/23/2019 at 12:07 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

$1.6 million winner, professional poker player moving to Vegas.     This better be a bunch of fabulous homes.  The husband is funny, and the wife is a hoot.     Why is David wearing his pajamas to show the first house?   

The first house needs a ton of work. and it's right next to the highway.    I didn't like the backyard.    

The second house.   Tony the Ant Spilotro?  They used to separate family, and business so it's very logical it was the family home.         $500k worth of jewels hidden?   That house is not really high end is it?   It's very dated, but the pool is fabulous.

The third house.   I like the front entrance.   I love the second floor bedrooms, with that huge balcony.  The backyard  is spectacular, and perfect for the couple.      

I can't believe they picked the first house, right next to the highway, and on a corner.  Of course, they "bought the furniture" with it.    I hope they fix the yard up a lot, because it needs work, and the wall removal with an island will be great for the kitchen.  

I get that he said he wanted to be close to the freeway, but he didn't have to be on a main road to be close to it. I liked the third house best. 

• Love 1

My sister is on one of the scooters for a couple of months and he was doing pretty well ; )   If you didn't know David lived in Orlando before this show you do now. lol

Are there maintenance fees when on a lake as part of your home? I love lakes more than pools but I wondered because they can eat up your money along with regular upkeep for a large home.  I'm glad they liked the first home and I like the look of pillars.

They were all nice, didn't like the decorating in all but that can be changed. I liked the second house style better and BBQ, lake, pool setup. I tend to like older than more modern look but that's a personal thing.

The third was new but I was surprised how close together the homes were.  They seemed less modern looking. I liked the balcony off the bedroom and huge shower but not sure why you'd need one that big.  lol

The house next door of the third one had a what looked like a cool tree house with balcony going around trunk. Now that is what I wanted to see!

Edited by debraran
(edited)

There are a couple of communities here with HOA's, and there is a lake in between.     It is only for the use of the residents, the insurance, and upkeep is covered by the HOA fees, and the houses that are actually on the lake side can't have solid, wooden privacy fences or other materials that block the view, but have to have the iron or aluminum fences with vertical fence pieces to show the lake view.    

I loved the houses in Montana tonight.     I loved all three, but knew they would go for the last one.   I think they'll have some great family reunions, and other parties there.      

I bet the wife wanted to be on the show, and the husband really didn't.    After all, they already own the house, they have to put everything away, and get ready for filming.    Also, maybe David or the husband weren't feeling well?    During flu season here, nobody hugs anyone, and there's a lot of fist bumping instead of handshakes.     I think David really connects with some more than others also.    The former construction worker moving to Miami really connected.    The people from a few weeks ago that had that massive budget for a house with a pool and casita near Miami were definitely excited to be on the show, and David really seemed to enjoy them.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Montana:

Interesting this was a "no hugging" episode (I can't recall any other episodes in which there was absolutely no physical contact between David and any of the family members).  

I also thought David was unusually...subdued? There wasn't much banter between David and the real estate agent, or David and the family, as there usually is, IMO.

At the beginning of the episode, David mentioned their needing a bedroom for their 16 year old son (who we never saw), and the mother nixed ranch style homes because her son needed his own space (I'm confused as to why a single story house would preclude that, but whatever). But IIRC, not once, in any of the houses, did David point to a bedroom and say "This would be the perfect bedroom for your son" - which he has done in previous episodes when a bedroom/living space for a family member has been part of the criteria for the new home. As a matter of fact, all of the house tours seemed cursory to me.

And, with the exception of David suggesting replacing the countertops in the first home, I don't recall David making any other decorating/reno suggestions for the homes at all.

The husband and older son appeared disengaged from the entire process; for example, going downstairs to watch TV in the first home (a TV that wasn't turned on). 

IDK, the entire episode just seemed a bit "off" to me!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Montana:

Interesting this was a "no hugging" episode (I can't recall any other episodes in which there was absolutely no physical contact between David and any of the family members).  

I also thought David was unusually...subdued? There wasn't much banter between David and the real estate agent, or David and the family, as there usually is, IMO.

At the beginning of the episode, David mentioned their needing a bedroom for their 16 year old son (who we never saw), and the mother nixed ranch style homes because her son needed his own space (I'm confused as to why a single story house would preclude that, but whatever). But IIRC, not once, in any of the houses, did David point to a bedroom and say "This would be the perfect bedroom for your son" - which he has done in previous episodes when a bedroom/living space for a family member has been part of the criteria for the new home. As a matter of fact, all of the house tours seemed cursory to me.

And, with the exception of David suggesting replacing the countertops in the first home, I don't recall David making any other decorating/reno suggestions for the homes at all.

The husband and older son appeared disengaged from the entire process; for example, going downstairs to watch TV in the first home (a TV that wasn't turned on). 

IDK, the entire episode just seemed a bit "off" to me!

I can't watch it yet, not on my cable on demand. Sometimes it's there the next day, sometimes takes longer.

There might have been some tension about things happening or maybe the couple liked being on TV for half an hour and the cash they get, rather than David himself. I have a feeling since a lot is staged, the couple might have not been comfortable with David or that aspect of the show or said or did something "off". You can tell when David really likes a couple, there were a few and others, "it's just a job".

I'm sure it's hard for the show to find really big winners who also want to be on TV. 

• Love 4

I enjoy this show and David. He seems so sincere when he meets/greets the winners and is genuinely happy for them. I think he has a good heart and likes to offer suggestions or ideas as to how they could make this particular house work better for them. I do question why when someone has won “ A Million Dollars” that they don’t explain how much the taxes were and how much was left. When someone wins that amount and spends 600,000 on a house, my eyebrows go sky high. No, no, no folks! Of course, that’s not David’s fault but I wish they’d inform people who aren’t financially savvy that this is not a good idea. Ever.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Gam2 said:

I enjoy this show and David. He seems so sincere when he meets/greets the winners and is genuinely happy for them. I think he has a good heart and likes to offer suggestions or ideas as to how they could make this particular house work better for them. I do question why when someone has won “ A Million Dollars” that they don’t explain how much the taxes were and how much was left. When someone wins that amount and spends 600,000 on a house, my eyebrows go sky high. No, no, no folks! Of course, that’s not David’s fault but I wish they’d inform people who aren’t financially savvy that this is not a good idea. Ever.

David said the show doesn't think the tax part is attractive to talk about but someone did bring it up once and I think in passing, it's fine. When a couple who seem poor win a million and buy a home worth 500,000 with a huge yard or pool that needs upkeep, their elec/gas bills are going to be huge, housekeepers, etc. I think, you only got about 650,000, the rest will get eaten up quickly. '

I only heard of one couple that sold their home after a huge win because of that, but I'm sure it happens more than most think. It seems logical to think of all the expenses, but some people just don't.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

Just watched an older episode A Mexican Dream with a lovely couple from Sacramento. They were looking for a vacation home in Mexico and of course as usual David knocked it out of the ballpark. But what really grabbed me was their forever home, absolutely stunning. They finally settled on a gorgeous home with 360 degrees of great views, including the beach, from a fantastic rooftop setting.

They loved it but the fly in the ointment for me though was the location. It was literally in the middle of nowhere since the home I picked for them, hee, had too many neighbors close by for their tastes. The problems I would personally have was a) no internet, I mean, how could I live without my PTV pals 😊 and b) there have been so many reports about Americans being targets for criminals in Mexico, I would prefer to have neighbors so we can look out for each.

But they were so happy and I am totally happy for them.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Just watched an older episode A Mexican Dream with a lovely couple from Sacramento. They were looking for a vacation home in Mexico and of course as usual David knocked it out of the ballpark. But what really grabbed me was their forever home, absolutely stunning. They finally settled on a gorgeous home with 360 degrees of great views, including the beach, from a fantastic rooftop setting.

They loved it but the fly in the ointment for me though was the location. It was literally in the middle of nowhere since the home I picked for them, hee, had too many neighbors close by for their tastes. The problems I would personally have was a) no internet, I mean, how could I live without my PTV pals 😊 and b) there have been so many reports about Americans being targets for criminals in Mexico, I would prefer to have neighbors so we can look out for each.

But they were so happy and I am totally happy for them.

I think I saw that one in Mexico, too, and I felt the same way. I liked the first one even though it was in a condo complex like setting. I had the same safety and convenience concerns about the place they picked, but to each his own.

Last night I saw an episode but just caught the end of it. I saw them tour the third house which they both loved so much I thought, "Show over!" And yet...David showed them a fourth choice, suggesting they could build a home on the family property with old cabins on it, which apparently was what the man wanted all along. As soon as David mentioned a fourth option, I knew they were going to go that route or why else bother. But the real surprise was in the three months later clip, the woman said they had broken off their engagement and she move to Florida and bought herself a condo on the beach. I didn't see who was the lottery winner, and since they weren't married, I don't know if they shared the money by choice? I've never seen an episode of any of these shows end quite like that.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ForReal said:

I think I saw that one in Mexico, too, and I felt the same way. I liked the first one even though it was in a condo complex like setting. I had the same safety and convenience concerns about the place they picked, but to each his own.

Last night I saw an episode but just caught the end of it. I saw them tour the third house which they both loved so much I thought, "Show over!" And yet...David showed them a fourth choice, suggesting they could build a home on the family property with old cabins on it, which apparently was what the man wanted all along. As soon as David mentioned a fourth option, I knew they were going to go that route or why else bother. But the real surprise was in the three months later clip, the woman said they had broken off their engagement and she move to Florida and bought herself a condo on the beach. I didn't see who was the lottery winner, and since they weren't married, I don't know if they shared the money by choice? I've never seen an episode of any of these shows end quite like that.

Oh now I am intrigued ForReal. After watching the Mexico episode I was only kind of half watching what followed. I tried searching for yesterday's episodes but no luck. Do you recall the state or season of that episode? Very interesting about exactly what happens to the money when one person in an unmarried couple wins and they later break up. If they live in a state that recognizes common-law unions then things could get a little messy, tee hee. 😒

• Love 1

It took some digging, but it was Season 3, Episode 11, Gone With The Win. Apparently the woman won the lottery with 19 of her coworkers, so I guess the finance didn't have any rights to the money. I guess I can see why she didn't want to build on his family's property, given that the relationship was apparently shaky. It would be hard to extricate oneself from that kind of property purchase. The woman was very pretty and very nice, and it was a nice change of pace that she was positive about all the properties she saw.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, ForReal said:

It took some digging, but it was Season 3, Episode 11, Gone With The Win. Apparently the woman won the lottery with 19 of her coworkers, so I guess the finance didn't have any rights to the money. I guess I can see why she didn't want to build on his family's property, given that the relationship was apparently shaky. It would be hard to extricate oneself from that kind of property purchase. The woman was very pretty and very nice, and it was a nice change of pace that she was positive about all the properties she saw.

Hi ForReal and thanks for all of your detective work! I will definitely look that one up. Smart on her part to not become legally/financially entangled with his family.

You are certainly qualified for your own series on the Investigation Discovery channel. 😊

• Love 2

I remember that episode with the woman who won with the 19 coworkers.    I loved the houses they toured, but definitely saw all kinds of red flags with the 'fiance' wanting her to finance a mansion on his family property.   I'm glad she split with him, and think she was very wise to do so.    

Personally, there is no way I would have built on property that someone else owns, there are too many legal issues involved, even if you stay together.      

I hope she enjoys her place at the beach, and whatever else she wants to spend her money on.         

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, ForReal said:

Hello again ForReal and thank you again for digging up that episode. I just finished watching it online. Wow, that was really a surprise ending like you said.

I loved all of the houses that David found for them. I also thought that the now ex-boyfriend's property looked quite lovely as well. I thought that they really seemed to get along well and also seemed to be on the same page especially about custom building a home on that property. I wonder what happened?

Anyway, from a grand southern mansion to a condo in Florida came way out of left field for me. She looked very happy with her decision so that's all that matters.

I guess that old Cyndi Lauper song Money Changes Everything is still so true.

• Love 4
On 1/9/2017 at 11:37 PM, AnnaRose said:

Yes, also the whopping income tax bill on the estimated value of the dream home with all the furnishings, car etc.  That's why they started including a bit of money to help with the tax bill (a little bit anyway)... they were getting a lot of bad press about how nobody who won it could afford to keep it.  I don't know if anyone has been able to keep it since then.  Probably not unless they were already very wealthy.

PS: I think lottery winnings in some countries are income tax free.

I have always said that I am 100% NOT interested in winning a very expensive item like a house or "dream" car and would definitely take the cash option.

Case in point: about 20 or so years ago there was some contest where the grand prize was a Ferrari which I believe was valued at around $200,000. A big discussion ensued at my then workplace about how great it would be to win that car. I remember saying absolutely not and a Miss Know-it-All gave me grief about saying that. I said that's because I live in Virginia.

In today's dollars in Arlington, Virginia, a $200,000 vehicle will cost you $18,300 up front; that's $10,000 (5% for every $100 in value) in property tax and $8,300 in a one-time sales and use tax of 4.15%. All of this would be in addition to the usual costs for tags, registration, inspection sticker, etc. Also, I don't even want to know what the annual cost of car insurance for a Ferrari would be. BTW, property tax is an annual expense in Virginia for as long as you own your vehicle unless it's an o!d "hoopty" LOL! So that would be a bill of well over $20,000 you'd have to shell out after winning your "free" car.

Thanks but no thanks; just gimme the cash.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Effing Autocorrect!
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1