Type keyword(s) to search

My Lottery Dream Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

From what I understand, the IRS taxes the winnings at 39%. They take 25% before the winner sees one dime of the money. Then the winner still needs to pay the remaining 14% at tax time AND the state tax as well. 

The article stated that -710,000 was already taken out so she would have $1.29 mil left and then when you add the 2nd round and the Ohio tax, she'll bring home between $1.1 - $1.2 mil.  So, she technically is a millionaire. 

I read that article differently:

The lottery winnings - $710,000 after a first round of taxes was taken from the lump-sum payout - allowed the couple to build their dream home.

I think that clearly indicates that they took a lump-sum payout instead of the annuity, which is a reduced, discounted amount.   (Their actual lottery winnings is $710k, not the taxes.)

In Ohio, the Ohio Classic Lotto lump-sum payout is a mere 50% of the advertised annuity amount.  And then they withhold 25% for federal taxes and 5% for state taxes... even though you will owe more than that.

So... She won an advertised $2M, which is what they show on the check... but took the cash discounted lump-sum amount, which was probably half that.  And then only received 70% of that (or $710k) because of the standard 30%  tax withholding.  (And she'll owe more income tax when she files... probably close to an additional $100k.) 

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I read a Forbes article last year which said only five states allow anonymity, and Indiana was not one of them.  If it hasn't changed since then, perhaps you're thinking of Ohio right next to Indiana?

I thought that first home was ugly.   And way too big.  The second one too, for that matter.

That last home by the lake was great.  I really thought they would choose it.  I wonder if it was actually available when they were house shopping? 

Yeah, I thought so too.  And then at the end when hubby mentioned being able to 'grow' their family and having room for their kids, I was so surprised that I had to go back to the beginning of the episode to see if they had ever mentioned any kids.  They did say they had two kids at the very start of the episode.  I don't think they mentioned them again during all of the house touring or trying to decide on a home, did they?  Weird.  Of course, I got bored and fast-forwarded through a lot of the the two homes because I didn't like them, so I may have missed a mention of their progeny.

At least they didn't seem to overspend, but I still think the home they chose was overly big and poorly designed.  Maybe they're planning to have a bunch more kids now?  Mom didn't look particularly healthy, so I'm not sure that would be such a great idea.  Is that what "grow our family" is supposed to mean?  Make more kids? Or just make the ones you have bigger?

I read this too quickly.about recent lottery winner:

"Indiana law allows jackpot prizes to be claimed by a limited liability corporation or legal trust, thus allowing winners to remain anonymous. The winner claimed the prize as Bohemian Financial LLC.

"We can tell you that he is a Purdue grad who works at a Lafayette manufacturing plant," said Dzwonar. "This is a dream come true for the winner, and he wishes to thank the Hoosier Lottery and Powerball. He is also grateful to his wonderful family and the Greater Lafayette community."

So you can, but with technicalities. ; )

I thought re the kids never really shown, maybe they had older kids and/or step children? For some reason it didn't seem like they were always living with them all the time.

I thought the last home was lovely, but it did have someone living in it. They take larger and still say they were going to put in a pool, whatever, their choice but that one threw me a bit.

Edited by debraran
3 hours ago, debraran said:

I read this too quickly.about recent lottery winner:

"Indiana law allows jackpot prizes to be claimed by a limited liability corporation or legal trust, thus allowing winners to remain anonymous. The winner claimed the prize as Bohemian Financial LLC.

"We can tell you that he is a Purdue grad who works at a Lafayette manufacturing plant," said Dzwonar. "This is a dream come true for the winner, and he wishes to thank the Hoosier Lottery and Powerball. He is also grateful to his wonderful family and the Greater Lafayette community."

So you can, but with technicalities. ; )

I thought re the kids never really shown, maybe they had older kids and/or step children? For some reason it didn't seem like they were always living with them all the time.

I read the Forbes article more carefully, and it says that five states allow easy anonymity, and several others may allow trusts that can obscure the winner's identity.  So you're right.  I had thought the five states mentioned included the ones that allow trusts.  It would be nice if all states allow anonymity, considering the lack of privacy during the internet age.

I never considered that the kids might be step kids and living with an ex part of the time.  That would explain their absence in most of the episode.

I watched a repeat yesterday, with Joseph and John, who won $1,000 a day for life and took the $5 million payout. David showed them 2 over-the-top million dollar mansions and then a regular new-built home, with a huge unfinished basement, in their own neighborhood for less than $500,000. They took the regular house and told David one of the reasons was because they wanted to continue being millionaires. 

Edited by Nysha
Edited for clarity
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

I watched a repeat yesterday, with Joseph and John, who won $1,000 a day for life and took the $5 million payout. David showed them 2 over-the-top million dollar mansions and then a regular new-built home, with a huge unfinished basement, in their own neighborhood for less than $500,000. They took the regular house and told David one of the reasons was because they wanted to continue being millionaires. 

I loved that. : )   Nice to know some people have sense and maybe want to leave some to family or charities.  Kind of boring for the show though. Maybe the last huge winner of powerball will get talked into going on. I find the large mansions very cold also, grand but cold.

Edited by debraran

The latest episode was couple who won $7 million. They bought a house for a little over $400,000 with a few acres. It was bigger then their current home but not a McMansion. The kitchen was nice but it wasn't updated with the latest cabinets. The horror! They wanted a pool but this house didn't have one. They plan on putting one in. I want to see what the pool looks like. Hopefully, they'll do a return visit. They seemed like a sensible couple and didn't want to go too crazy probably since they have young kids. 

Just finished watching the Cambridge, MA lady and I loved her!!!!! She had such a great sense of humor and knew what she wanted! I liked all 3 houses but I really thought she would pick house #2 because of the beautiful backyard and the garage. The house she chose was great but I thought the fact that it was further out, she wouldn't chose it. All in all a great show(and we know David didn't do anything but it was still fun watching him with her!)

10 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Just finished watching the Cambridge, MA lady and I loved her!!!!! She had such a great sense of humor and knew what she wanted! I liked all 3 houses but I really thought she would pick house #2 because of the beautiful backyard and the garage. The house she chose was great but I thought the fact that it was further out, she wouldn't chose it. All in all a great show(and we know David didn't do anything but it was still fun watching him with her!)

I thought the exact same thing but as my daughter pointed out, house 2 was adorable, perfect backyard, cheaper and probably not for sale. That made me feel better. I forget you really need a home before you call or close to it, it just didn't make sense she wouldn't love that house.  The active daycare in the basement was a tip off, pictures hanging etc. Maybe for sale, but probably not.  The third being top of budget and needing so much seemed silly to show, but Cambridge is very expensive so I guess they threw it in so there wouldn't be 2 lovely homes and nice home which she picked, but kind of blah with the yard. Nice porch though and kitchen. It didn't seem like she moved in yet when they returned, cupboards still empty and they only showed outside, but I hope she's happy there.

I loved her personality and loved how her first scripted line was "You are not taking the whole million!"  I'm thinking also that since she was looking for 2 years, she had some money, just not enough, so even though it seemed to take a good chunk of her money, she had savings also. I liked how she didn't have a laundry list of wants and their personalities were cute together.

On the MA lottery page it showed her but with a different first name.  It said

Margaret McCarthy of Cambridge is the fifth $1 million prize winner in the Massachusetts State Lottery’s “Monopoly™ Jackpot” instant game.

McCarthy chose the cash option on her prize and received a one-time payment of $650,000 (less tax withholdings).  She plans on using her winnings to buy a house.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

I have been playing the lotto lately so I can go on the show.  When David smarmily asks me "So, how much do I have to spend ",  I'm gonna say 25k.  Because it's in the script he will have to say something smarmy.  Then I will tell him I need a special room to watch "2 girls one cup" in, and he'll have to say "How fun!", because he's smarmy, and it's in the script.

However, if I win the powerball,  I will force him to show me the Amityville horror house, and he will have to do it because it's in the script.  Hey David, let's play Ouiji board in the sewing room!  How fun!

• Love 3

Awww, I don't find him smarmy. I think he's one of the more likable and genuine hosts. I also hate the "house hunters" much less than on other shows. 

I have noticed some dentally-challenged millionaires though. I think I'd get my teeth fixed if I won big and was dentally-challenged. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, ByaNose said:

David's tattoos sprouting from neck distract me. I wish he stopped at the arm. LOL!!!

I was trying to figure out what it was and looked it up, https://twitter.com/bromco      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DB5xUtGUMAAXmLf.jpg:large

It was recent because there are many pics without that tattoo. It says "Limited edition" on his chest. the article stated "Bromstad has Chinese symbols on his forearm along with a cross in a tribal pattern.  David has always been interested in art, as seen in the image below.  The Chinese symbols mean "Artist, Painter." I like David's "Limited Edition" chest tattoo the best.  A few years ago, he only had the words.  Since then, he's added a gorgeous design and a heart in the middle."

He  has a home in Miami, I hope he fared okay along with many others.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
On 9/18/2017 at 6:28 AM, PuhLeeze said:

Awww, I don't find him smarmy. I think he's one of the more likable and genuine hosts. I also hate the "house hunters" much less than on other shows. 

I have noticed some dentally-challenged millionaires though. I think I'd get my teeth fixed if I won big and was dentally-challenged. 

I will agree that the buyers on this show are pretty decent.  Most of them don't overbuy, or bitch about homes in their budget.  How fun!  

• Love 1

This show is back.  At least the first episode toured some rather big houses even if they weren't super expensive.  They would be well over a million in higher cost of living areas.

Then the flash forward was a bit disappointing.  I was hoping we'd see a big beautiful house but instead we got a claustrophobic condo, albeit with a great view.  I missed it.  Did she buy her ex-fiance's homeland property?  Or did he already own it?

He already owned it, it was left to him by his parents. 30 acres. David mentioned he wished he could buy his childhood home too.

Yes, those properties in CT where I am would have been much more. I see some about 800,000 to a million similar to what I watched with David.

I never understand the need for a huge bedroom, I don't like small but the space is just to look at unless you are dancing around your room, lol  Even a bathroom that large as in the first, nice but not really needed. I guess, I like cozy/big so too huge always seems colder to me.  I liked the second home although golf isn't appealing to me. Rooms were open but not too open, I still like walls to cut off noise, etc. Not as much privacy outside though.

I liked the third the best of the 3.  It had an older charm to it which is a favorite of mine.. HGTV had vintage homes for a year and they were great, I wish they had more a year of it.

When he brought up the last option of building on his property, thought they must have already done that and just signed up for the show to be on TV.  When they flash forwarded, I thought moving on is fine but why a condo like that? But it's her money and maybe she wants to save it. She'll have to be careful about guys who just want her money and living in a condo where most maintenance is done for you, a good idea, but that one seemed generic and small, especially the kitchen . With 12 million, I suppose she could change her mind and move on though.  Building so much on his property and not have it be totally hers might have been an issue too.

I

• Love 2

Don’t they usually already own the home before the show is taped? I thought maybe they broke up at some point during filming and the whole let’s build a home was added on because they either didn’t go through with the sale or sold the house off. The scene with the host suggesting building a house was weird because nothing previously said by the couple would lead me to believe they couldn’t find an already built house they both liked. They surely didn’t have any outrageous demands that necessitated a build. I did remember thinking why would you build a house on property your fiancée, not you, owns when there will be legal ramifications if you break up because he owns the land with the house on it You built. That being said, I loved the inside of the last house they viewed.

Also, the condo is a good idea if she wants to be near family but doesn’t know exactly where she wants to buy a forever home. The condo may be small but the view is amazing and it would probably be easy to resell or rent out. 

Edited by MakingBacon
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, MakingBacon said:

Don’t they usually already own the home before the show is taped? I thought maybe they broke up at some point during filming and the the whole let’s build a home was added on because they either didn’t go through with the sale or sold the house off. The scene with the host suggesting building a house was weird because nothing previously said by the couple would lead me to believe they couldn’t find an already built house they both liked. They surely didn’t have any outrageous demands that necessitated a build. I did remember thinking why would you build a house on property your fiancée, not you, owns when there will be legal ramifications if you break up because he owns the land with the house on it You built. That being said, I loved the inside of the old house. 

Also, the condo is a good idea if she wants to be near family but doesn’t know exactly where she wants to buy a forever home. The condo may be small but the view is amazing and it would probably be easy to resell or rent out. 

I agree, sounds like they looked for her after the win and tried to make a show around what was going to be the reality later. David probably wouldn't have liked that condo but it's the right thing for her at this time.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/tennesee-metal-plant-workers-split-powerball-jackpot-20-ways-article-1.2891843

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

She called off the engagement and bought the condo in Panama city florida...no way would I build a house on land he owned unless we were married and I had a rock hard contract with him...if he insisted that she build it there she said adios...pal..smart woman

• Love 5

I  just saw the one with the single mom and a teen who shared a one bedroom in Cape Cod. She won 4 million and seemed sensible, wanting to cap home at 400.000. She was likable and although I don't know her backstory, she said she worked 3 jobs at one time and now she can stay in the same area but have her own home and her son can have his own room. To see her so excited about her own bath was refreshing when some find fault with everything.

I didn't love the 3 selections but the one she picked was the best. Things are so high in the Cape, it's hard for me to stop thinking "That would be 250,000 here".  ; )

Just saw this article, so it explains her hesitation with spending more. The payout was much less.

http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20170309/west-yarmouth-woman-wins-4m-scratch-ticket-prize

Next one is a family of 5 in 2 bedrooms and I hope they are as likable.

Edited by debraran
4 hours ago, debraran said:

she said she worked 3 jobs at one time and now she can stay in the same area but have her own home and her son can have his own room. To see her so excited about her own bath was refreshing when some find fault with everything.

I think I liked the first house the best.  And I liked her but felt she may have been a bit too son-first focused.  He got the bedroom in their 1-bedroom.  And he got the extra room as a game room in the new house.  Although, I can see the benefits of keeping him out of the main area while playing games.

I believe the house they bought was three bedrooms and two baths. It was turnkey and came with the furniture. They were able to move in immediately because they paid cash for the house, which I thought was smart considering how so many lottery winners blow their money and end up with nothing. That is my plan when I finally win. I liked the fact they weren’t  on the whole we need a house where all five kids get their own room and bathroom. I believe they even talked about putting the baby’s crib in their room. They seemed to be more concerned about having a comfy, family home rather than a mini-mansion showplace. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MakingBacon said:

I believe the house they bought was three bedrooms and two baths. It was turnkey and came with the furniture. They were able to move in immediately because they paid cash for the house, which I thought was smart considering how so many lottery winners blow their money and end up with nothing. That is my plan when I finally win. I liked the fact they weren’t  on the whole we need a house where all five kids get their own room and bathroom. I believe they even talked about putting the baby’s crib in their room. They seemed to be more concerned about having a comfy, family home rather than a mini-mansion showplace. 

That's refreshing, I can't watch when there is always something wrong and a huge bathroom isn't big enough, etc.  They've had smarter people on the last few shows. I remember a few where they were spending just about all they had won for a huge home with no thought on how they will keep up the utility bills and other costs to keep up the property. I'll catch this soon as a rerun. thanks

• Love 3

New Lakeside episode, another 2 million winner (on 10.00 scratch off) that is looking for second vacation home, 230,000 to 260.000.  I admit i thought it would be more but lake homes aren't always too much money.

Kind of nice, they vacationed by the lake for over 30 years and now they can buy a home. I thought the first one was kind of plain, large but nondescript I did like the basement fireplace.

I liked the loft bedroom in the second home but not much privacy with that.  The third was right by the lake and 3 decks with views. Beautiful.  4 levels with a bathroom and bedroom on every floor. Not for people with weak knees though. ; )   Very peaceful but not "cabin-like"

They took the lower priced one (I hope carpet came out of bathroom) and rented a boat slip, a nice retirement life. Hope they have many years to enjoy it.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, debraran said:

I admit i thought it would be more but lake homes aren't always too much money.

Yeah it depends on the lake.  I live in a state with a lot of lakes.  There are definitely lakes that are more coveted/touristy and house prices reflect that while you can find vacation homes at a more reasonable price on the smaller lakes farther from towns.

• Love 2

I really need to invest in these 1 & 2 million scratch offs. I buy Powerball & Mega Millions. Maybe, I'll buy some this week. The lake house was nice and it didn't seem to break the bank. That said, I'm not really a lake person. I'm more of a beach person. Of course, I wouldn't turn a lake house if it someone was giving it to me for free. LOL!!!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I really need to invest in these 1 & 2 million scratch offs. I buy Powerball & Mega Millions. Maybe, I'll buy some this week. The lake house was nice and it didn't seem to break the bank. That said, I'm not really a lake person. I'm more of a beach person. Of course, I wouldn't turn a lake house if it someone was giving it to me for free. LOL!!!

I was thinking the same thing, lol. I stopped a year or two ago after going for a 10.00 scratch off after usually buying a 3 or 5.00 a few times a year. I got 25.00. So then I bought another and got nothing. Something told me to stop. (like my bank acct)  I might if I have a good week, try a higher one but when I hear of people getting zero with a 20.00 scratch off, I wonder why.  We can dream once in a while though.  I'll be telling David, "It was my first time buying this ticket" ; )

• Love 1

What I am so concerned about are people that win $1,000,000 (not the huge winners) but by the time taxes are paid on the winnings and perhaps the next year on their

Federal Taxes and they keep up taxes on their dream home and let's say, they buy some new furniture to go in the new home, within 5 years, their winnings will almost be gone...or their taxes on a luxury home will be in arrears and they will lose their beautiful home.  I like to see winners be very sensible and for $1,000,000, in my opinion spending $300,000 on a home is top dollar for that size of winnings.  I know this from experience....Now, if your winnings are more than $20,000,000 they can do the large homes with big bucks and not worry if they use their money correctly....I love the show and love David...he is a "winner" himself!   Hope in Kansas

3 hours ago, Missouri Gal said:

What I am so concerned about are people that win $1,000,000 (not the huge winners) but by the time taxes are paid on the winnings and perhaps the next year on their

Federal Taxes and they keep up taxes on their dream home and let's say, they buy some new furniture to go in the new home, within 5 years, their winnings will almost be gone...or their taxes on a luxury home will be in arrears and they will lose their beautiful home.  I like to see winners be very sensible and for $1,000,000, in my opinion spending $300,000 on a home is top dollar for that size of winnings.  I know this from experience....Now, if your winnings are more than $20,000,000 they can do the large homes with big bucks and not worry if they use their money correctly....I love the show and love David...he is a "winner" himself!   Hope in Kansas

I was hoping the last winner who got a million (650,000 after taxes) has some other income, because spending 480,000 isn't going to leave them with much. Maybe taxes are lower in their state, but 5 bedroom homes and a lot of land, equals a lot of taxes and upkeep.  They've had some smart ones on recently, not the type the show wants, but not many win big and you can't get them all on TV either.

• Love 1

I wouldn't be abe to do the show. I'm not a hugger. Also, I don't think after winning my millions that I would need David to "find" me a house. That's what a realtor is for. I guess people just want to be on tv, right?

• Love 4

Yes, they have to have a home or starting it. The other 2 homes are not in the running I would think. Who would let someone show them 3 homes and have to pick from just them? The oddest one was with the woman with the fiance, they didn't take any of them and she bought a small condo in Miami I think.  They probably wanted someone to be on and her condo wouldn't have been "good show" so they showed the other 3, said she broke up with fiance and was on her own.

This home was on recently:

https://www.vrbo.com/816319

Edited by debraran

Silly comment but the real estate agent in this episode was nicely camera ready.  He spoke clearly, was informative and I think he should appear on House Hunters. 

Otherwise, props to the guy for being smart with his money but the houses made for boring TV.

• Love 1

27 year old man who won 4 million is investing in a large home to rent out also. I think if I were him, I'd buy 2 homes, one to rent out and one to live in, but he was thoughtful about it and decided to flip his current situation with roommates to being the landlord. Homes were nice, very interesting layouts. I tend to like older homes. I didn't like the last one at all but he did.I don't why the homes in this show needed so much work but he wanted his budget under 300.000 so maybe in MA it's hard.  I wondered if savings and maybe buying his mother something was in his later plans.

Since they probably own the home to start with, I'm glad he found something to work for him. You never know what other homes they will throw in and some might seem nicer in retrospect but never an option at the time.  Nice seeing people being smart, there were  few in the past, you had to hope had extra money somewhere else.

• Love 2

I have only one criticism of David. Seems as the show's gone on he has more tattoos or wears more short sleeves.

Either way, I find them distracting. I'm neutral on tattoos but on this show not a fan.

• Love 9

He really loves his tattoos. They all have meaning to him. I looked it up when I was wondering what the words meant on his chest. Not my thing, but he loves them. I've liked so many things over the years, changed my mind or matured over books, movies, clothes, colors, etc. I could never commit to a tattoo and I hate needles. ; )

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, debraran said:

I could never commit to a tattoo and I hate needles. ; )

Ditto. I have a therapy dog and we visit nursing home patients.  Trust me, a tattoo at 30 something looks nothing like that on the saggy skin for which we are all destined to have as we age. Some are quite, well, unrecognizable! 

And I find them extremely distracting on David, I cannot concentrate on what he's saying.  The same is true with any professional - cover them up.

• Love 6

Hopefully, whoever won the $457 Million (before taxes) Powerball in Pennsylvania will be on the show. Now, that’s serious money. It would be funny if they were still conservative with their winnings and only had a $250,000 budget. David’s head would explode. LOL!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Another 4 million scratch off winner and doesn't want to go over 260,000.  David joked could he please up that? lol  They wanted to share it with family but lived in CT (my home state) and had some cute smaller homes to look at.  Very low level of things they wanted. I like sensible but I know David is waiting for the more exciting show.

• Love 3

I find it too boring to watch lottery winners being on this show when there budget is so low. They should be on House Hunters.

I hope David does get a better gig. He's too interesting for this snooze fest.

• Love 6

I have only had two of these shows that I liked.  The Sacramento guy, who got a house in the country with a big shed for his bikes and cars.  The older couple who bought a cute beach house for the family to enjoy.  Otherwise, I hate to admit, I find David just too over the top smarmy.  I liked the old pre distracting tatoo, didn't try to be smarmy David.  Just my opinion.  I feel like the script calls for him to be over the top.

• Love 2

I think a lot of the winners want cheaper homes because they took the lump sum instead of the annuity. The lump sum is something like 40% less than the entire amount and that doesn’t include what is taken out for taxes.  Also, a lot of these people live in low cost of living areas so a $300k house is basically a mansion. I had a friend move to Somewhere in Texas and said the $150k homes were the mini-mansions where the richer people lived. I think she paid around $110k for a regular four bedroom house.

I like David but I would like him to stop calling people who won $1 million millionaires. After taxes, they only have a little more than 700k. It just irritates me. I would also like them to say whether they took the annuity or lump sum. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, MakingBacon said:

I think a lot of the winners want cheaper homes because they took the lump sum instead of the annuity. The lump sum is something like 40% less than the entire amount and that doesn’t include what is taken out for taxes.  Also, a lot of these people live in low cost of living areas so a $300k house is basically a mansion. I had a friend move to Somewhere in Texas and said the $150k homes were the mini-mansions where the richer people lived. I think she paid around $110k for a regular four bedroom house.

I like David but I would like him to stop calling people who won $1 million millionaires. After taxes, they only have a little more than 700k. It just irritates me. I would also like them to say whether they took the annuity or lump sum. 

Sometimes under 700.000. I think they feel background isn't needed but it would be interesting. Some of the winners were older winners too. I was nosy once and some of them won 3 years ago, some more recent. A nice woman who bought a home in Boston/Cambridge area, had a different name on the Lottery page. Maybe she didn't want people finding her easily. It must be hard to find people, the show is a little odd. You win, you look at 3 homes, but one is already bought or rented and he shows them around and you meet a local realtor for a few minutes.  I think the reason he shows "not built yet" homes also is because it's hard to find homes at times or they are actually building. Just like with the Tiny Home Hunters shows, no one would really only look at 3 homes but you only have 30 minutes. ; )

I agree, down south, homes are much cheaper. A friend got a home that cost her under 200.000 in Georgia but would have been 300,00 or more here in CT.

• Love 3

I've been waiting to see if anyone would comment on the family with the 5 kids whose existing home was destroyed by a flood/rain storm??  I really felt for them but wanted more backstory.  Their home had two bedrooms, two of the children shared a room with the parents and three boys shared the other bedroom (although one boy preferred to sleep on the couch).  They seemed practically destitute yet at one point it was mentioned that the Dad had a job.  What else did I miss?

The problem I had was that they won 1 million but the budget for their house was like $650,000!  And they were looking at some beautiful, large homes!  Why oh why, if you were that poor to begin with, would you not save some of that money for simply living off of?  It seemed like a very foolish choice to spend that much on a home. 

• Love 5
On 3/19/2018 at 7:15 PM, stormy said:

I hope David does get a better gig. He's too interesting for this snooze fest.

I love David as a designer and he's basically acting as a realtor on this show. Waste.

On 3/25/2018 at 3:03 PM, MakingBacon said:

This always makes me LOL....David is all excited about the amount they win, but in reality he himself (most likely)  has more money and a better house.

• Love 2
On 3/26/2018 at 1:30 PM, Kiki620 said:

I've been waiting to see if anyone would comment on the family with the 5 kids whose existing home was destroyed by a flood/rain storm??  I really felt for them but wanted more backstory.  Their home had two bedrooms, two of the children shared a room with the parents and three boys shared the other bedroom (although one boy preferred to sleep on the couch).  They seemed practically destitute yet at one point it was mentioned that the Dad had a job.  What else did I miss?

The problem I had was that they won 1 million but the budget for their house was like $650,000!  And they were looking at some beautiful, large homes!  Why oh why, if you were that poor to begin with, would you not save some of that money for simply living off of?  It seemed like a very foolish choice to spend that much on a home. 

I think this was a repeat. There is a discussion about their financial decisions/money management a few pages back :)

• Love 2

Just a random drop-in here.

Was curious: does anyone else see winning the lottery as an opportunity to have fewer responsibilities and more freedom and would thus be more apt to rent places to live (other than primary home, perhaps) than buy them? 

• Love 1

I haven't heard if some of the homeowners are plunking down their winnings to purchase the full amount of the house, or if it's a down payment on a mortgage.  If it were me, I would also have the equity from the sale of my existing home.  And if it was a small ($1M) win, I would probably still work and have a mortgage.

I love David.  I've loved him since his Design Star days.  He seems so fun and easygoing, I don't find him smarmy at all.  I would love to drink margaritas with him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8