Type keyword(s) to search

My Lottery Dream Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, Nysha said:

I bought a Megamillions ticket since it's up to almost $350 million. If I win, I'm going to buy property to build my own house because there are very few mansions for sale in my little corner of Idaho.

That's okay.  You can build the house and still appear on the show.  It'll just be on of the houses 'for sale' and then two rinky dink properties on hundreds of acres of land.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Nysha said:

I bought a Megamillions ticket since it's up to almost $350 million. If I win, I'm going to buy property to build my own house because there are very few mansions for sale in my little corner of Idaho.

In other words, you'll have your own private Idaho? Sorry, couldn't resist. ?

• Love 7

They did an interview with the host, he said they don't like to talk about taxes, upkeep, etc. because it's not fun. Well, I suppose if you are getting your lottery education on TV, that's sad, but like with tiny homes, they do a disservice with saying nothing too.

I liked how with an older couple, he said something about taxes and savings because they wanted around 300,000 after winning a  million. She wanted a place that was "normal" since they didn't want to hire people to maintain.

That's what made one minor celebrity said, when asked why he went bankrupt. You buy the 700;000 house, no mortgage, but the taxes are sky high, the upkeep for the lawn/flowers, etc is high, the pool guy, the housekeeper to clean all the bathrooms and bedrooms and kitchen. That is what partly killed him, as you let them go or space out how often they come, things get hairy. The furniture to fill a huge home costs a lot of money also and those high ceilings many people like, make utility bills very high. So, if you win a ton, it doesn't matter, but a million or two and you're young, not much if you aren't careful.

Then you find yourself on a tiny house nation show saying that 3,000 square foot home was just way too big and you want more together time. ; )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4

I bought both a Mega Mllion & Powerball ticket. They are over $300 million. If I should win I won't be calling David or HGTV. I'll call my local realtor and find a little McMansion in my area. I live outside of Philadelphia and I like the northeast. That said, I'll also buy a little place down the Jersey shore & down in Florida, too. They won't be anything obnoxious. Just a small condo with 2 bedroom & 2 baths. I've survived without a mansion for 50 years and would continue to do so, if I won the lottery. 

• Love 4

I thought tonight's episode with the couple who were using their winnings to buy a vacation home in Mexico was more fun.  They already had a nice house which was probably worth about as much, if not more, than what they spent in Mexico. 

Their choice had a great view but given its location (middle of nowhere and close to border), I immediately had Breaking Bad thoughts.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought tonight's episode with the couple who were using their winnings to buy a vacation home in Mexico was more fun.  They already had a nice house which was probably worth about as much, if not more, than what they spent in Mexico. 

Their choice had a great view but given its location (middle of nowhere and close to border), I immediately had Breaking Bad thoughts.

Yeah, I don't think I could live in the middle of no where and in Mexico. Yikes! It was a beautiful home but too remote for me. It looked so dry and didn't have a pool. I NEED a pool. LOL!!!! I did appreciate the mixing it up a bit for the show. They still won a million on a scratch off it was a more grande house. BTW! Breaking Bad. Hysterical!!!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Yeah, I don't think I could live in the middle of no where and in Mexico. Yikes! It was a beautiful home but too remote for me. It looked so dry and didn't have a pool. I NEED a pool. LOL!!!! I did appreciate the mixing it up a bit for the show. They still won a million on a scratch off it was a more grande house. BTW! Breaking Bad. Hysterical!!!!!

I really didn't like the homes that much and the one they picked would be too isolated and dry for my taste, but I hope they like it.  Odd the fridge was put somewhere that had the door half open, almost like it was put there after the family moved out.  I laughed when in a past show, someone said to the host, "you could help me decorate" and he said, "Honey that would be quite costly" I be he's not cheap, especially if he knows their finances.  lol

This show has a short term life it seems but I hope they change up the scenario a bit. The compliments they have to pay the host is a bit much at times, one woman did it every ten minutes, "You did very good David, great job"  He isn't a dog being trained.  ; ) Maybe talking a little about taxes and cost of keeping such a grand home would be nice and you can still have the glam of showing high end properties if the winner won multi-million jackpot. I might sound sappy but I'd love to see a show where the winners helped others in some way also, maybe buying funding a shelter or buying a homeless vet a small home with their own or just feel good stuff.

On 8/12/2017 at 9:48 AM, debraran said:

I might sound sappy but I'd love to see a show where the winners helped others in some way also, maybe buying funding a shelter or buying a homeless vet a small home with their own or just feel good stuff.

Here's what you're looking for: The Lottery Changed My Life

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Apparently a total of one winner (a retired public servant who had already spent a life serving the public) who decided to do something unselfish.

I guess I shouldn't find that odd,but I just couldn't win a ton of money and just spend it on myself after taking care of loved ones.  I don't think you have to be religious but just be able to think outside of your own box. I'm talking about the multi-millionaires but to each his or her own. It just doesn't seem right to me to be that selfish but I grew up with just enough and watched most of us in the "check to check" households give more of what we earned to others than people who had more (maybe that's why they did have more) ; )  But it is a good feeling and I'd rather leave something concrete one day than a bunch of clothes or trinkets.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5

I think it depends on how they spend their money.  If they create a trust and just donate to charities, my guess is that's not getting a show.  It's boring compared to more direct and active involvement. 

Can we talk about tonight's show?  Because I feel like something has to be missing.  They live in a two bedroom house and have six kids.  SIX?  Oh my goodness.  Warning--judgmental moment--!  Yes, I know that people have religious beliefs and this is the way a lot of children grew up back when houses were smaller and families were bigger but "stop fucking" was all I could think of when looking at them.

Then, according to the show, they upgrade from a 2-bedroom house to a huge 680K house off of a one million dollars in winnings.  I believe that's probably more than they took home after taxes.  I feel like there needs to be more to the story because I don't know how a couple with six kids, who could only afford a 2-bedroom house, can support everything involved with a new house of that size. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I think it depends on how they spend their money.  If they create a trust and just donate to charities, my guess is that's not getting a show.  It's boring compared to more direct and active involvement. 

Can we talk about tonight's show?  Because I feel like something has to be missing.  They live in a two bedroom house and have six kids.  SIX?  Oh my goodness.  Warning--judgmental moment--!  Yes, I know that people have religious beliefs and this is the way a lot of children grew up back when houses were smaller and families were bigger but "stop fucking" was all I could think of when looking at them.

Then, according to the show, they upgrade from a 2-bedroom house to a huge 680K house off of a one million dollars in winnings.  I believe that's probably more than they took home after taxes.  I feel like there needs to be more to the story because I don't know how a couple with six kids, who could only afford a 2-bedroom house, can support everything involved with a new house of that size. 

The old house was so small and then badly damaged by rain. He said he had a job and he was still the working there so maybe maybe that offsets the lottery win & the purchase of the new house. They seemed so normal and the kids were really cute but that old house seems so small for 8 people. How long did they live in it? Was it just them when they got married and they never left? Seems odd. Hopefully, they enjoy their lottery win & their new home. They seemed like such normal people. They weren't annoying which is unusual for these type of shows.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

He said he had a job and he was still the working there so maybe maybe that offsets the lottery win & the purchase of the new house.

But that's only the purchase of the house.  It doesn't include the additional taxes and utilities that a bigger house would require. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But that's only the purchase of the house.  It doesn't include the additional taxes and utilities that a bigger house would require. 

And I think that's the downfall of this particular spectacle.  I guess they feel we'd be bored to hear that kind of thing but I would like to see someone sit them down and show them the long term consequences of blowing every dime on a palace. I bet dollars to donuts most of them lose the houses within a year or two.  Taxes and utility expenses skyrocket in an enormous house.  Plus you need to furnish the place - coming from a 2 bedroom house to a ginormous one requires a ton more furniture.  And if you've already overspent based on what you take home from a million dollar win, you're in a bigger hole than you were to begin with.

A brief chat with a financial adviser at the beginning of the program would be beneficial, seems to me.  Point out what they should be looking for based on the win and the future expenses as a starting point for the search.  Call it a teaching moment.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, ByaNose said:

The old house was so small and then badly damaged by rain. He said he had a job and he was still the working there so maybe maybe that offsets the lottery win & the purchase of the new house. They seemed so normal and the kids were really cute but that old house seems so small for 8 people. How long did they live in it? Was it just them when they got married and they never left? Seems odd. Hopefully, they enjoy their lottery win & their new home. They seemed like such normal people. They weren't annoying which is unusual for these type of shows.

I still have to watch that one but I know you get about that amount he spent after a million. This question was asked on a financial planner site: "I'm 28 and just won a million dollars. After taxes its about 600k. What kind of an account should I put money in?"  He got many answers but I liked the ones saying to divide it up for savings, spending and investing. The 6 planners all said "down payment" on home because buying outright isn't always a good deal but I know even not watching the show, spending that much on  a home is a lot if you can't manage upkeep and taxes and utilities and furniture and all that comes with it. I hope they can keep it or make money selling it.

It reminded me of a relative that won a really expensive car one day back in the 80's. He was thrilled until he realized his monthly car ins was going to triple and taxes in his city were going to be high and it need a much more expensive tuneup and parts, so he enjoyed it a month or so and then sold it to someone who could enjoy it without a hassle. Used the money to get a car and money leftover for a vacation.

PS. I watched it having breakfast, made me uncomfortable. I loved the second house, love old homes but the lack of common sense without any background even had my 24 year old daughter saying, "why are they spending so much on the house, do they think it will be cheaper without a mortgage" She's extremely frugal so you wont see her on that show if she ever wins.  lol

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

I gave a big side eye to the number of kids and the small house.  If you can't afford to not have the kids crammed into one room, don't have them.   I guess the wife doesn't work since she has that many kids to take care off, but he can't be making that much if they lived there.   I kept saying 'lower your budget, lower your budget'!  Of course, they upped it.  They didn't seem like they'd be able to afford the taxes/upkeep, but what do I know?  Maybe they had lots of savings and had a huge down payment.  Maybe in MA there's no taxing of lottery winnings?

We are not rich, but if I won 1 million, I'd just buy a nice used car (not a luxury vehicle), buy one of the lovely  victorians in cash with some reno funds and do some saving and investing with the rest.   

• Love 1
6 hours ago, roseslg said:

I gave a big side eye to the number of kids and the small house.  If you can't afford to not have the kids crammed into one room, don't have them.   I guess the wife doesn't work since she has that many kids to take care off, but he can't be making that much if they lived there.   I kept saying 'lower your budget, lower your budget'!  Of course, they upped it.  They didn't seem like they'd be able to afford the taxes/upkeep, but what do I know?  Maybe they had lots of savings and had a huge down payment.  Maybe in MA there's no taxing of lottery winnings?

We are not rich, but if I won 1 million, I'd just buy a nice used car (not a luxury vehicle), buy one of the lovely  victorians in cash with some reno funds and do some saving and investing with the rest.   

I'd love a Victorian too, all the nooks and crannies and built-ins.  Boston area is expensive but they didn't need so much house and they will never be able to renovate unless there is a huge backstory they don't want viewers to know. I hope so or it will be for sale in 2 years.  The raining in the house bothered me too, very unsafe so I'm glad they are out. It seemed they must have bought that earlier since it had cribs in the rooms and the house seemed the same although you didn't see much on the update (pool table seemed covered in background)

On 8/18/2017 at 2:00 PM, Kohola3 said:

Apparently a total of one winner (a retired public servant who had already spent a life serving the public) who decided to do something unselfish.

There was a woman from Idaho who won $1 million in the state lottery, she bought a house so she could do in-house home health care and a new pickup, then she gave a huge party for military children whose parent/s were in Iraq/Afghanistan. Another guy walked around giving random people $100 bills.

My bet is most people do give but don't advertise it to keep people from asking. I read an article, about 20 years ago, about one of the first lottery winners in Oregon. He shared all the "gimme" letters he got from people, including one from someone asking for money to furnish his vacation home, something the lottery winner didn't have.

Edited by Nysha
Tried to add another quote so I wouldn't double post, but it didn't work.
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

A brief chat with a financial adviser at the beginning of the program would be beneficial, seems to me.  Point out what they should be looking for based on the win and the future expenses as a starting point for the search.  Call it a teaching moment.

Maybe you could pitch this as a new show for TLC? Although it would be an actual learning show, so they probably wouldn't be interested. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

Maybe you could pitch this as a new show for TLC? Although it would be an actual learning show, so they probably wouldn't be interested. 

That's what the host said in an interview in a sense, that taxes are boring, etc. It's not boring, you aren't given a math course, just say,  " I got, 650,000 from a million dollar win" that's reality and this is what I want to spend. The last show had David saying he LOVES to go over budget, you don't have to twist his arm, that I think isn't funny and since it isn't HIS money, he shouldn't be scripted to say that.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, debraran said:

The last show had David saying he LOVES to go over budget, you don't have to twist his arm, that I think isn't funny and since it isn't HIS money, he shouldn't be scripted to say that.

That kind of BS is exactly why most lottery winners are bankrupt the first couple of years after the win.  But TLC isn't The Learning Channel anymore, it's The Ludicrous Crap channel now.  Heaven forbid they should do anything noteworthy.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I guess they feel we'd be bored to hear that kind of thing but I would like to see someone sit them down and show them the long term consequences of blowing every dime on a palace.

But these houses are already purchased so all a financial planner segment would accomplish is basically to shame them if they've already made a mistake. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But these houses are already purchased so all a financial planner segment would accomplish is basically to shame them if they've already made a mistake. 

I was thinking most must be bought, but I wonder if some are contacted before they do. I saw an article for a winner not too far from CT where I live. New Jersey winners, I saw their show. Glad they showed sensibility and can have a relaxing retirement.   https://www.njlottery.com/content/portal/en/newsandevents/newsinput/2015/jcr:content/body/newsarchieve_578/file.res/NJL_12-31_HGTV-CASH4LIFE-Winners.pdf

They were together 30 years and were also featured in an article about marriage equality earlier in the year.

I read another story about 27,000 tax bills and one poor guy had to take a mortgage to pay for other taxes and bills and then his dad got cancer and had high bills. He had to sell at a loss I think. Life always has curve balls and I would think the show might not have any liability but the lottery commission should try to give info on practical things. We all know following advice is a personal thing but impulse buys are usually never good. (although the pair of pants in my closet are cheaper than a home)  : )

• Love 1
On 8/18/2017 at 9:10 PM, Irlandesa said:

I have a feeling this couple does not know how to handle their money. Six kids in a 2 bedroom house? Obviously they didn't have the finances in the past to move into a bigger home. And I'm not saying a mansion, but even a small 3 bedroom home would have made a big difference. From the looks of their damaged home, it doesn't look like they even attempted to make repairs. I'm assuming the got money from their insurance policy....

I would be surprised if they are able to stay in the new house for longer than 2 years. 

If they were smart, they would have bought a house outright for less than 300k and invested the rest. Just my opinion...

• Love 6

Lottery Dream House are probably dying for this week (and, growing) Powerball winners to call them. Can you imagine what would David would say if he had $650,000,000 to work with?! To mess with his head I'd be looking for a $250,000 house. LOL!!!

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Lottery Dream House are probably dying for this week (and, growing) Powerball winners to call them. Can you imagine what would David would say if he had $650,000,000 to work with?! 

I'll let you know if they call ;)

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Lottery Dream House are probably dying for this week (and, growing) Powerball winners to call them. Can you imagine what would David would say if he had $650,000,000 to work with?! To mess with his head I'd be looking for a $250,000 house. LOL!!!

Yes, I must buy a ticket tomorrow. : )  I was going to say 300.000 myself, lol.  In my area, you can get a nice Tudor, 2 bath, 4 bedroom, nice yard, I'd be happy. ; )

Edited by debraran
7 minutes ago, debraran said:

Yes, I must buy a ticket tomorrow. : )  I was going to say 300.000 myself, lol.  In my area, you can get a nice Tudor, 2 bath, 4 bedroom, nice yard, I'd be happy. ; )

In the HH world when you say you want a Tudor you will end with a Craftsman. LOL!!! Good luck!

• Love 2

My ticket has been bought!  Went to an open house today.  Definitely not a house for lottery winners.   Does anyone take David seriously?  I just can't take his description of houses as delicious.  

• Love 1

So the MA woman decided to go public with her big power ball win, not my choice but good luck to her. I don't think this show will get her but you never know. She looked very overwhelmed.  I would not know what to do with that kind of money, would prefer much less, but a lawyer who understand lottery winnings and a few good financial advisors would help. All the good you can do with that money but it is overwhelming to have it dumped in your lap. I don't think David could contain himself with the homes he could show her...."You won 430.0000, no condos!!" : )

I watched a few older shows to escape the news for a bit and most were winners like Carla from Nebraska that had very underwhelming homes. Some so old they had carpet all over and very dark.  Smart choices though considering (which many critics never think of) they might have a lot of debt to get rid of and kids who need help. It just seems awkward watching David say anything about a 199,000 home that really has no perks.  I also didn't like how he again said to someone "they couldn't afford him, he would use up the rest of the million dollars".  We know he does high end, this show is a side job but don't inflate yourself for a plug.

• Love 2

I watched Carla from Nebraska this weekend.   I was in utter horror at the selections that David showed her -- the second one backed up to an interstate!   

While watching the mini renovation episodes this week, I saw 15 homes that cost more before renovations than most of the lottery homes.

That said, Carla was smart.   She had to pay federal taxes plus since she bought it in a different state both that state and Nebraska's taxes.    A free and clear $110,000 home is better than over extending and going broke.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MortysCleaningLady said:

I watched Carla from Nebraska this weekend.   I was in utter horror at the selections that David showed her -- the second one backed up to an interstate!   

While watching the mini renovation episodes this week, I saw 15 homes that cost more before renovations than most of the lottery homes.

That said, Carla was smart.   She had to pay federal taxes plus since she bought it in a different state both that state and Nebraska's taxes.    A free and clear $110,000 home is better than over extending and going broke.

I agree but really that was all Nebraska had to offer at those prices?  It was dismal. I missed the part about 2 states, that's a little more "ouch". 

I caught some vintage shows on Amazon from HGTV, only one in Boston seemed to have them under 500.000 but it was interesting to see the old homes and history and I love the Victorian and Tudor styles.

2 hours ago, MortysCleaningLady said:

Those houses were awful.  Didn't she have a long commute after buying whichever dungeon she was showed?  I'm thinking she bought the one with the basement "master suite".  Damn lady, it's your house.  You get to live above ground.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Those houses were awful.  Didn't she have a long commute after buying whichever dungeon she was showed?  I'm thinking she bought the one with the basement "master suite".  Damn lady, it's your house.  You get to live above ground.

If only she'd hooked up with Scott McGillvray from Income Property instead of David Bromstead, we'd see a graphic about renting out the basement for $150 a month would pay off the house in 8 years and 5 months (numbers fictional).

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, MortysCleaningLady said:

If only she'd hooked up with Scott McGillvray from Income Property instead of David Bromstead, we'd see a graphic about renting out the basement for $150 a month would pay off the house in 8 years and 5 months (numbers fictional).

I miss Scott!  Bring him back!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, roseslg said:

I miss Scott!  Bring him back!

I forgot all about Income Property. Makes you wonder what happen to all those renters. Scott is another one that HGTV dumped along with Sarah Richardson & Candice Olson. Right now, it's flipping houses but back then it was just flipping a room. LOL!!

On August 19, 2017 at 7:38 AM, Kohola3 said:

And I think that's the downfall of this particular spectacle.  I guess they feel we'd be bored to hear that kind of thing but I would like to see someone sit them down and show them the long term consequences of blowing every dime on a palace. I bet dollars to donuts most of them lose the houses within a year or two.  Taxes and utility expenses skyrocket in an enormous house.  Plus you need to furnish the place - coming from a 2 bedroom house to a ginormous one requires a ton more furniture.  And if you've already overspent based on what you take home from a million dollar win, you're in a bigger hole than you were to begin with.

Isn't that what happened to many of the people who were featured on "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition?"  After the "makeover" the people's taxes went up along with things like electric bills.  

3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Isn't that what happened to many of the people who were featured on "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition?"  After the "makeover" the people's taxes went up along with things like electric bills.  

I'd forgotten that show.  You're correct, many had to sell because they couldn't afford the extra money it was costing.  I remember one in my homes state of MI having to do that and reading a story about it.  After the initial tears of joy there were plenty of tears of despair.

• Love 1

Our church is having a raffle on a red corvette. I think it's not practical but I suppose that is the point.  If I won, I would have to sell, the taxes, insurance and not having an adequate garage would cost me too much. This education in economics with winnings started years ago with game shows.  Participants would realize they won all this stuff but had to pay taxes on it before they took it home. It was in very small print. My mom read about someone who just couldn't and had to forfeit some of her winnings. Everything comes with a price, it's just if it's worth it to you.  I'd rather win cash and just have the taxes taken off the top. ; )

• Love 2
On 30/08/2017 at 3:02 PM, chessiegal said:

My understanding is that Sarah and Scott are still doing shows that are airing on Canada HGTV. Maybe someone from Canada can confirm.

Sarah Richardson has a new show in the works.  Sarah off the Grid.  It's airing Sept 10th, at 10:00 PM.  Environmentally friendly, out in the bush.  I guess I'll give it a look-see.  Scott - don't know what he's up to.  Hated the show where he built/remodelled his own house.  I found it really mcmansion looking.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, useryikes said:

Sarah Richardson has a new show in the works.  Sarah off the Grid.  It's airing Sept 10th, at 10:00 PM.  Environmentally friendly, out in the bush.  I guess I'll give it a look-see.  Scott - don't know what he's up to.  Hated the show where he built/remodelled his own house.  I found it really mcmansion looking.

I wish we could view Sarah's new show in the US, but it looks like it will only be available for Canadians.  Darn.

Also, I miss Scott too and I'm sorry to read about the mcmansion.  I think that housing style is hideous.

12 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I wish we could view Sarah's new show in the US, but it looks like it will only be available for Canadians.  Darn.

Also, I miss Scott too and I'm sorry to read about the mcmansion.  I think that housing style is hideous.

I loved her summer cottage show. The inside was exactly how I would a beach house....if I had one. I like her husband, too. That show aired a long time ago in the U.S. Her kids must be a lot older now. I don't know why HGTV US doesn't air her show. Oh! That's right. She doesn't knock down walls. LOL!!!

• Love 3

New show from Indiana. 7.000000  Looking for home around 400-500,000.  I was mildly surprised. Thought they would say more but in Indiana I'm sure that buys a lot more than on the east coast where I live. In Indiana you can remain anonymous I read

The first home was big and had large rooms, huge closets, etc. but kind of blah with architecture. I thought it was funny how one bedroom had about 10 pairs of shoes lined up against a wall near the bed, sometimes even if you have a nice closet, you don't use them. (my kids)

I really liked the last home on the lake. I don't care about pools, but it was "just right" for an upgrade, not too big but big enough.  They decided to go larger and got the first one. (410,000)

Edited by debraran

Tim and Kim in Ohio, who won 2.000000 (710,000 after first round of taxes) Their story of being on the show were interesting and kind of funny.  Her reaction to one of the homes, "It was so ugly" lol

They built their own an had to work it in the story. They actually took a mortgage and banked most of it.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/home_and_garden/2016/05/01/01-upper-arlington-house-hunters-building-dream-home-after-2-million-lottery-win.html

Edited by debraran
23 minutes ago, debraran said:

New show from Indiana. 7.000000  Looking for home around 400-500,000.  I was mildly surprised. Thought they would say more but in Indiana I'm sure that buys a lot more than on the east coast where I live. In Indiana you can remain anonymous I read

The first home was big and had large rooms, huge closets, etc. but kind of blah with architecture. I thought it was funny how one bedroom had about 10 pairs of shoes lined up against a wall near the bed, sometimes even if you have a nice closet, you don't use them. (my kids)

I really liked the last home on the lake. I don't care about pools, but it was "just right" for an upgrade, not too big but big enough.  They decided to go larger and got the first one. (410,000)

Why did they need all that space for just the two of them?  It just seemed so weird!

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, debraran said:

In Indiana you can remain anonymous I read

The first home was big and had large rooms, huge closets, etc. but kind of blah with architecture...

I read a Forbes article last year which said only five states allow anonymity, and Indiana was not one of them.  If it hasn't changed since then, perhaps you're thinking of Ohio right next to Indiana?

I thought that first home was ugly.   And way too big.  The second one too, for that matter.

That last home by the lake was great.  I really thought they would choose it.  I wonder if it was actually available when they were house shopping? 

21 minutes ago, roseslg said:

Why did they need all that space for just the two of them?  It just seemed so weird!

Yeah, I thought so too.  And then at the end when hubby mentioned being able to 'grow' their family and having room for their kids, I was so surprised that I had to go back to the beginning of the episode to see if they had ever mentioned any kids.  They did say they had two kids at the very start of the episode.  I don't think they mentioned them again during all of the house touring or trying to decide on a home, did they?  Weird.  Of course, I got bored and fast-forwarded through a lot of the the two homes because I didn't like them, so I may have missed a mention of their progeny.

At least they didn't seem to overspend, but I still think the home they chose was overly big and poorly designed.  Maybe they're planning to have a bunch more kids now?  Mom didn't look particularly healthy, so I'm not sure that would be such a great idea.  Is that what "grow our family" is supposed to mean?  Make more kids? Or just make the ones you have bigger?

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, debraran said:

Tim and Kim in Ohio, who won 2.000000 (710,000 after first round of taxes) Their story of being on the show were interesting and kind of funny.  Her reaction to one of the homes, "It was so ugly" lol

They built their own an had to work it in the story. They actually took a mortgage and banked most of it.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/home_and_garden/2016/05/01/01-upper-arlington-house-hunters-building-dream-home-after-2-million-lottery-win.html

Interesting.  So the show was saying that she won $2 million, but she actually only received $710,000.  And what the heck does the article mean by the 'first round of taxes'?  I think that is because the lottery commission only withholds a portion of the taxes that will be owed, and in reality, she'll actually owe a lot more income tax on the million dollars when she files. 

So probably more $600k net after taxes.  That is quite a big leap to David sqawking that they won $2,000,000 and they're millionaires!!   I guess hundred-thousand-aire doesn't have the same ring to it.

From the article linked above:

The Ohio Lottery Commission was calling to announce that Kim had won $2 million in the Top Prize Drawing.

The lottery winnings - $710,000 after a first round of taxes was taken from the lump-sum payout - allowed the couple to build their dream home.

1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

Interesting.  So the show was saying that she won $2 million, but she actually only received $710,000.  And what the heck does the article mean by the 'first round of taxes'?  I think that is because the lottery commission only withholds a portion of the taxes that will be owed, and in reality, she'll actually owe a lot more income tax on the million dollars when she files. 

From what I understand, the IRS taxes the winnings at 39%. They take 25% before the winner sees one dime of the money. Then the winner still needs to pay the remaining 14% at tax time AND the state tax as well. 

The article stated that -710,000 was already taken out so she would have $1.29 mil left and then when you add the 2nd round and the Ohio tax, she'll bring home between $1.1 - $1.2 mil.  So, she technically is a millionaire. 

Edited by juliet73