Type keyword(s) to search

My Lottery Dream Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/7/2016 at 11:17 AM, CherryAmes said:

I'd never seen this show before but caught an episode last night and while I think it was about as faked as any of these shows are I really liked the couple they featured. They won a $1,000 a day for life in a New Jersey lottery (never heard of this kind of lottery - I could cope with a $1,000 a day)!  While I didn't agree with the house they chose I liked their reasoning and I liked when one of the guys said "we don't want to spend millions on a house we plan to stay millionaires for life".  Good for them!

I’ve noticed that the buyers are generally likable and don’t have great demands. It’s just really house hunters with pleasant people. 

• Love 3

I think the $1,000 a day for life was the NJ Minister who performed weddings.     There was a follow up episode on him, and his husband, and they finished the basement of their house they bought on the show, and it was lovely.    Then they bought the house next door, and were remodeling it, and David said he would move to that house, and rent their original one, and I agree.     They were so nice, and had such wonderful taste.   

• Love 4

The couple in Columbus, Ohio tonight were so much fun.  I love that his grandmother was telling him no one wins the lottery, while he was scratching the winning ticket for $1 million.  

I loved the first house, the one that was actually a little over budget.   The fire pit and patio were lovely.   I loved the master bath, and the kitchen was spectacular.   At least the house hunters didn't want a white kitchen.     I'm glad this one was the one they chose.  

The second was nice, but the shower was too small.   

The third, fixer upper that was well under budget, but I bet it would equal the first house in price after the updates they wanted to do.   

(edited)
13 hours ago, javajeanelaine said:

The couple in Columbus were really sweet. I also noticed that the couples on this show seem to really like each other as opposed to House Hunters. 

There could be two reasons for that.  One, they just won money.  I know there are a lot of 'they lost everything they won" sad tales out there but the people on this show are usually in the first blush of winning.

Second, the "script" of this show doesn't call on the couple to have diametrically opposed needs that they must have and bicker over.  House Hunters usually spends three segments with with "I must have a bathtub vs. I need a pool" bickering and ends with a "this was the best fit for our family" choice but this show is consistently "what's the best fit for our family/bang for our buck even though I'd like a big kitchen" throughout the shopping experience.

The houses they looked at were massive.  I know they want to start a family but wow, that's a lot of house.

Edited by Irlandesa

I just saw the weirdest episode of this show. It was about a middle age woman and her fiance who were looking for a house in Nashville. She won the money from an office winning lottery ticket. Anyhow, they see some beautiful houses and discussed possibly building on the guy's family land. However, at the end of the episode it suddenly cut to her on the beach. I at first thought I fell asleep and this was another episode. Nope, it turns out they broke up and she decided to move to Florida (or something) and get a beach house.  Meaning the whole rest of the episode was a waste of time.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, blueray said:

I just saw the weirdest episode of this show. It was about a middle age woman and her fiance who were looking for a house in Nashville. She won the money from an office winning lottery ticket. Anyhow, they see some beautiful houses and discussed possibly building on the guy's family land. However, at the end of the episode it suddenly cut to her on the beach. I at first thought I fell asleep and this was another episode. Nope, it turns out they broke up and she decided to move to Florida (or something) and get a beach house.  Meaning the whole rest of the episode was a waste of time.

I remember that episode. Not sure how long it takes to make an episode, but read it takes 4 days to do a House Hunters show. I'm guessing this is about the same. So they had to edit and do a new ending.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, blueray said:

1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

I remember that episode. Not sure how long it takes to make an episode, but read it takes 4 days to do a House Hunters show. I'm guessing this is about the same. So they had to edit and do a new ending.

So she and her fiance broke up between the first day of filming and the last day?

4 minutes ago, topanga said:

So she and her fiance broke up between the first day of filming and the last day?

Who knows? Could be they had the episode in the can ready to broadcast when things changed before air date.

• Love 1
(edited)

I bet the fiance and woman broke up after filming, and she told the producers, who then filmed her condo at the beach.      My guess is someone who knew the situation with the fiance, and his land, talked to the woman, and explained how bad an idea it was to pay for a McMansion on land that she would have no claim over.    Since it's family land, I bet the man wasn't the only owner, or if he was then the land would always be his.     It would be ridiculous to spend hundreds of thousands to build on that land unless it was your land.   

I was always appalled that the woman was going to even consider building on that property.    I'm glad she decided to end it before she married him, or spent her money on him.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is someone who knew the situation with the fiance, and his land, talked to the woman, and explained how bad an idea it was to pay for a McMansion on land that she would have no claim over.

I was actually relieved that she saw the light before building a house on his family property. The boyfriend seemed like a gold digger during the entire episode.

• Love 8

I've been a fan of David's for 13 years, ever since he was on "Design Star".  I even met him in person when he was filming that in NYC.  So don't get me wrong, I love David but what is going on with him and the tattoos?  I think he's gotten a little addicted to them.  It seems like a couple of seasons ago he didn't have any.  I saw an episode from 2 years ago and the change in his appearance is kind of shocking and it's not just the tattoos.

Also, I agree with what someone else said up thread that I don't watch this show to see people buy a "dream home" that's even more modest than my own modest home.  The way they push this show sets you up to see million dollar mansions.  I know they have another show for that but why set us up for disappointment?  And it's even more disappointing when David includes a really grand place in the choices only to have them choose the most lackluster option in the end.  I understand that people don't want to blow all their winnings on a house but it would be nice to see an episode where they won a lot and want to spend a lot.  I can tell that David himself is underwhelmed with the houses the people have chosen.  He often encourages them to spend more.

I've gotten to the point with this show where I can predict (like on House Hunters) which house the people are going to choose.  I'm putting it in a spoiler box in case someone doesn't know and doesn't want to know how the sausage is made, lol.

Spoiler

Unlike HH, where the house they choose is often the one with no furniture in it, on this show the one they choose often has furniture in it that looks like it would belong to them if you know what I mean.  That's because they already own the house at the time of filming and it actually IS their furniture!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I read David had a bad relationship and that he got some tattoos after that but who knows, what is gossip or real?

I feel that 1000,000 is nice but about 675,000 with taxes out. Since most normal/large homes in North East anyway are 4-500,000, sure you can buy one outright, but then your money is gone and you still need to keep up with the taxes, landscaping etc. When someone wins 5000,000 and spends little, I don't understand it, but their choice. Maybe they want to leave a lot to family or charity or just know they have it.

The show really isn't aimed at smaller winners, I actually am glad when they don't spend it all and are lower wage workers. So many lose everything quickly.

This goes over some of his tattoo's, not my thing at all but I'm not wearing them. ; )

I also feel, my bias maybe when someone runs out of skin, there are other things going on within.

https://www.tattoomenow.com/tattoo-designs/stories-and-meanings-behind-david-bromstads-tattoos/

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

That was an interesting article; I had no idea how extensive his tattoos actually are. I guess I've become accustomed to them, but I do find the spikes coming out about his neck kind of distracting at times. I can't even imagine having that much ink on one's body.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

All you have to do is go to the show's web site and read what the criteria are to be on the show. It's no big secret.

Perhaps, but I've been on boards for a long, long time and know there are a lot of people that don't read those things and don't want to know how much of these shows are faked.  Years ago when House Hunters had its own discussion board people were always shocked and acted like the show was spoiled for them when they found out, so it became kind of an unwritten rule to issue a spoiler alert if one wanted to talk about it.

17 hours ago, debraran said:

I read David had a bad relationship and that he got some tattoos after that but who knows, what is gossip or real?

That is EXACTLY what I thought on my own so therefore it must be true, lol.  It at least might be a reason he went nuts with them because I think he may have had a couple already.  I also thought that he looked like he had gotten into drugs because his appearance changed rapidly for the worse in a very characteristic way like other famous drug addicted people I've known about.  Then I read in this article that "it is said" that one of the reasons for his breakup was because of his drinking and drug habit.  David's drinking and drug habit, not his boyfriend's.  Hmmmm.....Gossip, but interesting.

• Love 3

I just re-watched Season 2 of My Lottery Dream Home, where Josh, who won $5m bought a nice ranch near Chico, California. I wonder how Josh and Jackie faired the Paradise Camp Fire.  Anyone have any idea?

In addition to the constant addition of tattoos, I don't like the way David is acting these days.  He acts over the top happy and elated, and it feels a bit creepy to me like it's not naturally the way he is.  I met him once when he was first starting out with HGTV and he was nothing like he seems to be now, and all I can say is that I find the change sad and disturbing.

• Love 5

I formally can no longer watch this show. The tattoos going up David’s neck are out of control and look awful and are so distracting. I saw a minute of his introduction I did a quick delete and removed it from series DVR pass. So gross!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, debraran said:

Are there new shows? I hadn't seen them showing up on my cable on demand.  Yes, I wonder how unhappy he is (or maybe not) I always lean that way when people do things in excess.

Yep, me too.  I'm leaning toward his behavior being a cover/overcompensation for unhappiness.  Upthread someone posted a rumor that his relationship broke up over his drug and alcohol use.  

7 hours ago, Kenzie said:

David is a nice looking guy and I'm not a psychiatrist so I can only speculate on why he has purposely set out to deface himself.

Yep, like I did above.

• Love 3

Glad to see that others were wondering about David too.  When he first came on the scene, he seemed so cute and sweet.  Not that people don't change of course, but his personality, lost good looks and all of the tattoos are kind of a turnoff.  He's sooooo over the top with the lottery winners.  It's hard to watch sometimes because it often appears he makes them uncomfortable.  Just tone it down a bit, buddy.  

• Love 4
On 8/21/2019 at 12:42 PM, Kiki620 said:

Glad to see that others were wondering about David too.  When he first came on the scene, he seemed so cute and sweet.  Not that people don't change of course, but his personality, lost good looks and all of the tattoos are kind of a turnoff.  He's sooooo over the top with the lottery winners.  It's hard to watch sometimes because it often appears he makes them uncomfortable.  Just tone it down a bit, buddy.  

I know.  I just watched the latest episode and he was all "look at me" with taking time out from the show to mug for the camera and then explain for us with all the excitement of a little kid on Christmas the significance of some of his tattoos.  I muttered under my breath, "get over yourself buddy".  I don't know who was creepier, him or the son of the lottery winner (who also had neck tattoos).

• Love 3
On 8/21/2019 at 9:42 AM, Kiki620 said:

When I first started watching the show, I couldn't stand David. Someone in a post called him "unctuous," which was perfect. I didn't like all the tats, either, especially the spikes around his neck. His behavior made me cringe, at times.

I must have started watching at some mid way or later point, because eventually he either calmed down or something because I started to not mind him, then like him. Now when I see the early episodes, he seems like a sweet kid in comparison to when I first watched. It would be interesting to know if the changes we see in the show are just him maturing or if they correlate with life events. Either way, I do like him now and I do like the show. I just hope he stays calm and carries on.

• Love 1

Why are they showing repeat episodes like they were new and teasing us with the promise of "behind the scenes secrets" that add up to 2 minutes of nothing but David wallowing in self-love and all "Look at meeeeee, how fabulous am I?"  Seriously?  I want to vomit!  And in every other scene his neck tattoos vanish and reappear, showing how recently he added them.  The way he acts is just creepy and IMO a sign of overcompensation or avoidance of some kind of deep unhappiness.  He desperately wants to convince himself (and us) that everything in his life is soooo wonderful.  It just seems OTT and fake.  That's my armchair diagnosis, although I do have a graduate degree in Psychology, not that that makes me an expert but still....

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3

I love the episode where the people are looking for a home near Lake Webster, which has another hideously long name, and it was a song that was popular years ago.   The Lake name is 45 letters long, and is the longest place name in the U.S.    Watching David, and the house hunters pronounce the name is so funny.    Lake Char­gogg­a­gogg­man­chaugg­a­gogg­chau­bun­a­gung­a­maugg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Chaubunagungamaug   

At the end of the Wikipedia article is the longest place name in New Zealand, and the World, and I'm not even trying that one. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

There was an announcement that there will be new episodes starting November 29th.   I hope they're really new, and not rehashing previous seasons.    I watched the hairdresser that moved to Las Vegas, and I love that she works with cancer patients styling and selecting wigs.  

• Love 1

I hope David doesn't get any weirder and gnarlier looking in the new season.  I almost can't stand it already.  I happened to catch an episode from only 2 years ago and he was like a different person.  I hate thinking all this is because of drugs. 😢

• Love 2

It's supposed to be a preview episode of the new season tonight at 8 p.m. Central/9 p.m. Eastern.   Then the new season starts on Friday, November 29.    I hope they're real episodes, and not updated older ones. 

I loved the house shoppers on Whidbey Island.     And they're supposed to have another new episode next Friday, at the usual premiere time.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I really liked the Western Massachusetts couple last night. they were behind on bills, and struggling, when they won $4 million.     I love the home they picked with enough room, and a lovely back yard with a pool.    

I liked the first house, in his home town, and it was very nice.  However, the place next door looked like one of the older huge houses that was turned into apartments.   

The second home on over an acre with the pool, and some privacy looked wonderful, and I'm glad they chose that one.   

The third house simply couldn't compare to the second one.  They would have been paying a premium for the location, and I thought it was smaller than what they really wanted. 

I know they already bought the house, they do that on every home remodeling, and real estate show.   However, I like trying to guess what house they picked, and like looking at the other homes.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really liked the Western Massachusetts couple last night. they were behind on bills, and struggling, when they won $4 million.     I love the home they picked with enough room, and a lovely back yard with a pool.    

I liked the first house, in his home town, and it was very nice.  However, the place next door looked like one of the older huge houses that was turned into apartments.   

The second home on over an acre with the pool, and some privacy looked wonderful, and I'm glad they chose that one.   

The third house simply couldn't compare to the second one.  They would have been paying a premium for the location, and I thought it was smaller than what they really wanted. 

I liked them a well.  They seemed so down to earth, and dare I say...normal!  I thought they may go with the last house, but was happy they went with the bigger place with a pool.  Loved that front porch.

The latest winner in Cleveland was hysterical!    Good thing her husband looked at the winning ticket before she threw it out.    And houses in Cleveland were so cheap, 3 bed / 2 bath under $200k in a nice area was amazing.   The hairdo on the winner was awful.   

I really liked the third house, but they bought the second.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
28 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The latest winner in Cleveland was hysterical!    Good thing her husband looked at the winning ticket before she threw it out.    And houses in Cleveland were so cheap, 3 bed / 2 bath under $200k in a nice area was amazing.   The hairdo on the winner was awful.   

I liked her but she needed a makeover in the worst way.  That heavy under-eyeliner and those jeans were very outdated too.  She rivaled David for being distracting in a bad way.  Also, I wondered why her husband didn't want to appear on the show, although I think they included a brief shot of him at the end.  I haven't loved the home the winners have chosen in the past few episodes either.

The League City, Texas episode was so much fun last night.      I love the husband still plays the lottery, and won over $45,000 since the big win.   That convenience store they bought should be a real money maker, if they handle it right. 

I really liked the pool houses.    I think spending more on a house that already has a pool is a lot better than putting one in later.    The third house pool was so big.       I just hope they didn't buy one of the redone mold houses in that one subdivision there, because some of those houses have been gutted, and still had the mold come back. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

The lady in Spring Hill, Florida was a hoot!    I love someone finally admitted that the husband doesn't cook, and the wife only bakes cookies once a year, but still wants a big kitchen for that one time.       They faked me out when she asked about getting the furniture with the second house, but I loved the third house that they had bought.     I loved the kitchen, and the screened in pool was spectacular.  

I'm only at the beginning of the new episodes in Columbus, Ohio, but I love the couple.    I love the wife's giant petticoats.       They seem like people that would be fun to hang out with.     David's right, what you can buy for under $250,000 in Columbus is amazing.    Whatever they pick is going to be fun to see the finished home after they 'decorate'. 

Yes, I know they already own the house, but I love looking at the houses, and getting to know the couples.   

It's so nice to see people who don't even blink at a home without an en suite for the master.    The first home, the 109 year old home was so nice, but no garage.    The second home was really nice, and maybe a little too new for the couple.     The third one was so adorable, and vintage, and could be changed to be what they want, but I loved the back yard.  

I like that they picked the second one.    They'll be so much more comfortable with the extra room.   They really fooled me, with the furniture in the third house, I thought that was the one they would pick.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2