Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Incident At Stone Manor

For me the problems I think the Joe/Jenny stuff is too far on the opposite side of the Crane/Abby stuff.   With Crane and Abby we are getting a looooooong, slow burn full of eye-fucking and hand-fucking and speeches that sounds like solemn vows and stuff (seriously how many times has Ichabod said things to Abbie that sound like he is practicing their marriage vows?).  In some ways the slow anticipation is great and sexy but it feels like is so long and slow (kinda like I imagine Ichabod is in bed ... bow chicka bow wow!!).

By contrast Joe and Jenny feel super rushed.  I think these two do have chemistry.  But it hasn't been allowed to percolate enough.  They feel undercooked.  So when they do go in for the kiss there is no curl of anticipation.  They just sorta... mash faces.  I actually do like the idea of Jenny and Joe as a couple, but I think even though they got their romance, they are actually getting shortchanged because it doesn't feel like a true relationship, but rather character expediency.

• Love 8

Yes, I agree with you. 

"It was like staring into the sun."  Nice metaphor.  -- minus the instant blindness.

Yeah that wouldn't be good ;) I did turn to my husband and say I don't think there are two more beautiful people on this planet. 

• Love 2

I am torn between the slow burn and concerns that we will not get a fourth season. I hope Fox lets the showrunners know one way or the other while taping is still going on, so the show can have proper closure. Also mixed in this is concern about whether the show runners want Ichabbie -- I said back when the behind the scene changes were happening that far too many of those there under the Guffman reign were left in place to poison the well of the new writing team.

I have become so jaded by shows I like getting cancelled, be it fairly or unfairly, I honestly expect that every show I enjoy will get cancelled. And I can't seem to fall in love with most of the ratings juggernaut shows that stay on the air for years.  Bottom line, my cynical heart doesn't believe there will be a Season 4, so I want the Ichabbie slow burn to burst into flames. Right now. Honestly, it's the only reason I watch the show anymore. The MOW, the Apocalypse (is that off the table now?), and even Joe and Jenny, two characters I really like--they're just background extras. There is no overarching supernatural story that captivates my attention as there was in Season 1. Even the season-long Pandora mystery seems underdeveloped--or maybe I'm just confused. Her overall plan is not clear to me, or even scary, the way Moloch's plan was.

So I don't care if getting Crane and Abbie together is fan-indulgent or cliche or will ruin the show. The show was already ruined in Season 2 by Katrina and CFD. In Season 3, SH has restored most of its former glory, but as other posters have pointed out, most original fans didn't stick around to see the show improve. All that's left are the die-hard fans--and maybe their spouses. And for most of us diehards, seeing Crane and Abbie together for the back end of Season 3 would be satisfying (I know that not all SH fans are Ichabbie shippers. Sorry).

Yes, I agree with you. 

Yeah that wouldn't be good ;) I did turn to my husband and say I don't think there are two more beautiful people on this planet. 

Now you've got me started. I find myself wondering how the Mills-Crane children would look. (Certainly better-looking than the Sin-Eater). Yes, Crane and Abbie are two very  beautiful people. And they look so good together, despite how different they are. He's tall and lanky, she's petite and curvy. Abbie's got round, expressive eyes. Crane's eyes are narrow and piercing (Though Crane's are expressive, too). But they've both got great hands, we know that.

• Love 8

Sorry, but this whole Pandora/God hubby main arc is boring the crap out of me.  This show seems to work best when it does one-off stories that link the supernatural to historical people, places, and events.  But the main story arcs have generally been terribly bad.  And Pandora reminds me too much of Katrina, another breathless-talking Brit.  They should just get back to straightforward storytelling with Crane/Abbie and Corbin/Jenny investigating stuff.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2

Wow, Orlando Bloom's twitter is awesome. I never looked at it til now.

I think you mean Orlando Jones? Though I can completely understand having Legolas on the brain, lol.

Regarding Joe and Jenny; I do see a fair bit of chemistry there but for some reason the kisses are coming off bland.

Their first kiss was great - it was a surprise and they kinda inhaled one another... but since then... nothing. Just boring. And it feels rushed. The kiss where Jenny reveals she loves Joe and he charges to her should have been a very powerful, earth shattering kiss, but it was a wimpy kiss. Far too soft and I just wanted both of them to open their mouths!

• Love 1

Aw, see, I'm kinda liking the soft kisses. That strikes me as realistic for a couple who've known each other a long time and are only just discovering they have an attraction to one another.

I know that kind of low-key connection is not the usual sort of "hot" chemistry that mobilizes large fanbases and strarts reviewers' tongues wagging and gets itself on Top Ten Couples lists, but it's a very familiar and believable kind of connection that I see a lot in successful marriages and long-term relationships. It's nice to see it on TV. You couldn't build a series on it, but for supporting characters it's a refreshing change.

Besides, it makes a good contrast to the couple who gets everyone fanning themselves just from the way they hold hands!! And means there's really no competition as they're two very different types of relationships. Ichabbie, I think, is going to be the fantasy star-crossed couple where they clearly love each other but must overcome lots of obstacles to be together and live happily ever after. Think Westley and a kickass Buttercup. Whereas Joenny is meant to be more grounded and laidback, less fraught with destiny... the couple who gets junk food and settles in to watch The Princess Bride for date night, just happy and comfortable and solid as a rock.

And I'll leave you with the image of Abbie asking Ichabod to do something and he answering "As you wish...."

Edited by Miss Dee
  • Love 4

If he didn't say you were more beautiful, divorce him!

I find myself wondering how the Mills-Crane children would look..

You know the little girl in the Cheerios ad that got the "I am not a racist" crowd all riled up?  Like that but cuter!

And I'll leave you with the image of Abbie asking Ichabod to do something and he answering "As you wish...."

And they would make little couplets to each other...

"As you wish!"

"I like fish!"

• Love 3

Their first kiss was great - it was a surprise and they kinda inhaled one another... but since then... nothing. Just boring. And it feels rushed. The kiss where Jenny reveals she loves Joe and he charges to her should have been a very powerful, earth shattering kiss, but it was a wimpy kiss. Far too soft and I just wanted both of them to open their mouths!

And I'm still surprised by Jenny's emotionality and declarations of love for Joe. (So is she, I guess). As Jenny stated, she doesn't like to get close to people or make herself vulnerable, so her feelings for Joe do feel, not necessarily out of character, but definitely rushed. I know that spending time with a person during tragic circumstances can accelerate feelings of love or attraction, but if that's the case, why didn't she fall in love with Crane? Or Irving? Or Sheriff Corbin? Although that would have been gross--he was like her dad. 

Jenny has always used sex as a means to an end (to gets artifacts), or simply when she's feeling horny (Hawley, for example). Maybe things seem awkward between her and Joe because this is one of the first times her feelings are involved during a romantic encounter. 

• Love 1

Aw, see, I'm kinda liking the soft kisses. That strikes me as realistic for a couple who've known each other a long time and are only just discovering they have an attraction to one another.

I know that kind of low-key connection is not the usual sort of "hot" chemistry that mobilizes large fanbases and strarts reviewers' tongues wagging and gets itself on Top Ten Couples lists, but it's a very familiar and believable kind of connection that I see a lot in successful marriages and long-term relationships. It's nice to see it on TV. You couldn't build a series on it, but for supporting characters it's a refreshing change.

I would have been fine with Joenny's I love you kiss, had Joe NOT gone charging at her like that. You don't charge a woman like that and then give her such a wimpy, limp and weak kiss. You just don't.

If Joe had just walked to her calmly, taken her face in his hands and softly but surely kissed her - THEN that would have been better. Just poor direction, acting or both.

Besides, it makes a good contrast to the couple who gets everyone fanning themselves just from the way they hold hands!! And means there's really no competition as they're two very different types of relationships. Ichabbie, I think, is going to be the fantasy star-crossed couple where they clearly love each other but must overcome lots of obstacles to be together and live happily ever after. Think Westley and a kickass Buttercup. Whereas Joenny is meant to be more grounded and laidback, less fraught with destiny... the couple who gets junk food and settles in to watch The Princess Bride for date night, just happy and comfortable and solid as a rock.

I get the contrast - my issue is with Joenny's execution.

• Love 5

I'm okay with how they've shaken down so far; the specific direction you mentioned above just didn't bother me as much, so maybe that's why.

Maybe Joe was striding over to give her a massive smackeroo and changed his mind last minute? :)

Edited by Miss Dee
  • Love 1

Is it just me, or does Joe seem kinda wimpy now? Maybe the supernatural adventures or his romantic feelings for Jenny have softened him up, but he isn't the badass he was when we first met him. Not in terms of fighting monsters, but in terms of how he deals with people. He used to be much more confident.

• Love 4

^^^This too.  He seems unsure of himself.  That's okay - but if they could make him a bit more kick ass (he was a marine and is an EMT) that'd be nice.

He doesn't have to recede just because of Jenny.

• Love 7

^^^This too.  He seems unsure of himself.  That's okay - but if they could make him a bit more kick ass (he was a marine and is an EMT) that'd be nice.

He doesn't have to recede just because of Jenny.

Of all the characters they have going now -- if anyone is to recede, I'd rather it was Joe than anyone else.

• Love 1

Of all the characters they have going now -- if anyone is to recede, I'd rather it was Joe than anyone else.

I don't mean recede as in fade into the background - I mean recede as in become more of a sub to Jenny's dom.  It's unnecessary, imo.

I don't mean recede as in fade into the background - I mean recede as in become more of a sub to Jenny's dom.  It's unnecessary, imo.

That sounds really sexy for some reason. 

We'll see how this large cast plays out. So far, Neither Abbie nor has been pushed into the background this season. 

You know, that is so true! They're really managing a large cast quite well. I just wish Daniel Reynolds wasn't so much of a cipher. Can't we give him some of Betsy Ross' time?

All of Betsy (we can't really call her "Boobsy any more [sad face]) Ross' time.