Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Tara Ariano

Hoarding: Buried Alive

I've always wondered how 'clean' the after houses are on this show.   My suspicion is there are either full storage units, or storage containers filled to the brim.    I remember Laura, and the sons had moved out years earlier, because Laura chose the hoard over them.     The fire was because the stove was turned on during the clean up, and materials piled on the stove caught fire.       Virtually all of these hoarders have had repeated clean ups, and they all lie about when the hoarding started, and say it's a lot more recent than it really is.      I understand the ones like Laura's sons who move out and don't look back.    It is revolting to me that the show guilts these children into going back to the abusive environment they escaped from, just for ratings.   I know there is zero chance that Laura kept the house clean, and wasn't rehoarding immediately.    

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I know there is zero chance that Laura kept the house clean, and wasn't rehoarding immediately.    

Here's where we need nuances.

Rehoarding of a house probably begins with the first receipt of junk mail and a trip to the grocery store.  But those accumulations need to be separate from the filth.  Even though some hoarders seem to have found the place on the internet that sells "Instant filth" that promised one cubic yard will expand to fill 500 square feet. 

I had a momentary sad when I thought of all the used Christmas paper that is going to be folded up, stuffed in a closet and forgotten forever.  Or not stuffed in a closet. And remembered. But abandoned none the less.

• Like 1

My guess is that wherever the ones on this show that really clean out, are actually putting things in storage, or the parts of the house or garages, that aren't shown on camera.   Or there are multiple storage buildings they use, and then put everything back in the house.  

You notice on the show that many of the adult children, and other relatives that are dragging into helping clean up, mention how many other times they cleaned up,    True hoarders don't clean up, and keep it that way. 

They're showing reruns on Discovery Life, and I'm actually watching one I never saw before.    Dominic who actually admits his house is unsafe for the six daughters, and their children to visit.    He's another 'collector', that collects cheesy art, and all kinds of stuff.     He has over 1,000 paintings, that he apparently spent a ton of money on.   He was a lawyer, is now 60 and wants to retire soon.   $1400 a month is spent on his storage units that hold the rest of his collection.    His house is falling apart, no kitchen, no washer/dryer, ceiling caving in.    The other woman in the episode is the one who has a huge bikini collection (Katie?), and .  Her teenage daughter, Grace is trying to have a decent room to herself, in spite of a lot of junk in her room belonging to her mother.   Another mother who isn't any kind of parent.    The hoarders are such liars about when they started hoarding.   I wish the daughter, Grace, could move out with the aunts or someone who won't turn her room into a trash heap.   So Katie has severe panic attacks, but manages to go shopping all of the time, and lies about it?    

I hate how the show guilts friends, and relatives into touring the disgusting hoards, and in helping with the phony clean ups.   

I don't feel sorry for the hoarders, just their children, and pets.  And the neighbors of these people, who have houses that are impossible to sell to get away from hoarders, and their vermin. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

Yep, I've seen that happen on these shows during the final visit, you will see things that have sheets draped over them to hide the piles of boxes....and let me tell you, they will never get rid of the bugs and rats either. 

• Like 3

Well, it's Christmas morning. And Discovery Life channel is treating us to a marathon of the Ten Biggest Hoards, starting at 10 AM Eastern. Rhonda's up first. Not sure that I'm up for watching this stuff today, but thought I'd share. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Well, it may not seem like Christmas fare, but some of the hoarders have had left over Christmas trees in the hoard.    Hopefully, Rudolf isn't a sail-reindeer in one of the hoards.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

On 12/16/2019 at 2:06 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hate how the show guilts friends, and relatives into touring the disgusting hoards, and in helping with the phony clean ups.   

I don't feel sorry for the hoarders, just their children, and pets.  And the neighbors of these people, who have houses that are impossible to sell to get away from hoarders, and their vermin. 

So right about the friends/family and phony cleanups. And the poor children, pets, and neighbors.

I had a quiet NYE at home, which is my idea of how to do NYE right now. I'd just finished reading a wonderful book, thought about renting the Downtown Abbey movie to watch on TV since I missed it in the theaters. But, as these things go, I didn't get around to that. When I turned on the TV it was on Discovery Life which was trashing out the old year with a bunch of repeats of their "worst hoards" episodes of this series. 

Including the episode about Beverly. She has since died, and I felt a twinge of pity for her, but OMG that was one SICK woman. She was middle-aged but such a case of arrested development. You'd think, listening to her, that she was a teenager. Her parents gave her money to help her out, because they didn't want her moving in with them and bringing her mess with her.

Beverly had three dogs. She couldn't. shut. up. about how they were her babies and she couldn't live without them. But she obviously neglected them on a daily basis because her house was literally piled with dog shit. Just everywhere. She's actually sitting on top of piles of trash and dog shit, showing the cute little outfits she bought for her dogs. 

I'm sorry she was so fucked up, but I wanted to slap her and take those poor dogs away from that hell. The woman didn't even work, but she couldn't find time to walk those dogs a few times a day? 

Just watching those hoarders and listening to their crazy talk can be useful to me. I'm going to clear out my bedroom closet today. By tonight I will have taken at least one-third of the clothing items in it, to donate to a charity shop. I was going to do it anyway, but watching those poor sick, selfish, horrible hoarders last night was a great motivator to actually DO it. NOW. Then, there will be a ruthless book-divesting sprint. I want EMPTY SPACE in my closet and bookshelves. 

Happy and uncluttered new year to us all!

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 4

Jeeves, you and me both, I just made a huge pile to donate plus some clothes that were so old and ugly they are just tossed! Nothing like watching that show to do a clean sweep! I agree, I hate it more when pets are living in crap than their nasty owners. I do love this show though, it's a very very guilty pleasure. I miss the British Hoarder show, it was actually charming, their little hoarders were so polite. Ha 

• Like 2

Discovery Life is showing original "Hoarding: Buried Alive" shows, with mostly the original episode.   However, they are called "Buried Alive" and are supposed to have updates at the end, in this case, it's three years later.     Valerie's show was 2012.   I feel so sorry for the neighbors, like the young couple living next to "Valerie", who is told to clean up or else her house will be condemned, and either cleaned out by the city, or bulldozed.   The poor couple next door were expecting their first child, and they are horrified at what they're living next to.   The codes enforcement / health department man tells her that when her two weeks are up, that he's filing contempt of court charges.   It's amazing how nasty the seemingly sweet old ladies are when Dr. Becky wants to take their stuff.   

Right after the original clean up, the house looks great a couple of weeks after the clean up, and the condemnation is lifted.   The health department inspector comes back twice a year or so to make sure it's still safe to live in the house, in 2014 he noted that she was starting to re-hoard.    I noticed the young couple from next door didn't appear this time.   I'm hoping they were able to sell and move. 

Three years later (2015)- She has a friend trying to declutter, before the health department comes back to her crowded house.    She admits that after the original clean up in 2012, that her house looked wonderful.     By 2015, every surface in the dining room is covered, she has way too much stuff.   I'd say she's a Level One hoarder, and if the health department ever stops inspecting, she'll be back to it.     If you say you're uncomfortable with open space in your house, then you're not any better.        Jim Fenney from the Health Department was promoted higher in city government, so I hope inspections are still happening.        The health inspector was pleased to see the progress, but I'm still skeptical on long term success.  

"Surviving on Trash" with Jerry, who has a pregnant daughter who actually thinks her mother will clean up so she can move in is so sad.    They hauled five tons away, and she's still leaving junk outside for strangers to pick up.      The daughter actually thinks that Jerry will clean up enough for them to take over the mortgage, and for Jerry to move to the islands.   Jerry cleaned the kitchen out, and dining room, look decent.   But the hallway is still full.      The daughter's husband is absolutely right, the place still needs a lot of cleaning out, the home needs to be tented to get rid of bugs, and there have been rats popping out of holes in the walls,    There is no way the husband will ever agree to live in that hoard.    The bedrooms are piled three and four feet deep with trash, the back patio is full of 'yard sale' stuff', only the living, dining, and two bathrooms are clear.    Apparently, there was an uncleaned swimming pool, spawning mosquitoes for years also. 

Jerri is the one who had to lock herself in her van, and was screaming.  

I'm so glad the daughter, Traci, and the husband didn't even try to move into that house.      When Jerry says she's getting it cleaned out in a few months, the look on the son-in-law's face is classic.   When he picked up a blow torch from the back patio pile, and said he had a plan to fix everything, and Traci (the daughter) asked if he had a lighter, I had to laugh.       As I recall the daughter moved somewhere else.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

They're showing one called "I'm a Rockstar, Baby!" about Kelly Jo, a Canadian who lives above Edmonton.   One daughter disappeared overseas in Tokyo in 1997, and they never found her.   Then he started 'collecting' and the house is a level 5 hoard, but it looks clean.     Then just over a year before this was filmed his wife had a heart attack, and then had another one.   The EMTs couldn't get their equipment inside to treat her, and she died before they could get her out, and treat her.     He still has all of her stuff around, his collections, and two daughters that deserve better than a home they can't visit, or sit down in.   

Kelly was in a rock band for years, and apparently made some real money, but it's all gone.    One of his former bandmates is the poor person who has to do the visit to see this stuff, and he looks like he wants to run.  The band was called Crowbar.    He's a neat hoarder, but still a hoarder.    On the clean out, he starts out pretty well, but then he's keeping everything, including dirty containers of swizzle sticks.    He does donate some, but not nearly enough.   

I didn't realize they had more than one Canadian episode, I only saw the one with Beverly.  

(Sadly Kelly J. died in June 2019.   Here's an article about him, his musical career, and other things about him.   https://www.nicholasjennings.com/obituary-crowbar-frontman-kelly-jay-larger-than-life  )

He was the writer of Oh, What a Feeling. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They're showing one called "I'm a Rockstar, Baby!" about Kelly Jo, a Canadian who lives above Edmonton.   One daughter disappeared overseas in Tokyo in 1997, and they never found her. 

Sorry to see that he's died.
He's the one that's I'd give a pass on everything.
They believe that his daughter was taken by sex traffickers, who operate in Tokyo.
I can't imagine living with that knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4