Type keyword(s) to search

Hoarding: Buried Alive - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/16/2018 at 8:38 AM, gotta watch said:

@ZaldamoWilder her name was Beverly. I can still remember the traumatized friend in a slightly Canadian (?) accent exclaiming "Beverly! OH BEVERLY!" as she saw the hoard and all the dog feces. I looked her up for an update and I believe Beverly passed away.

Thank you for that.   Oh how sad!  I remember her being fairly young.  I know that's relative, but I mean young to die.  I don't think that girl was over 50.    But she did appear to be in a dangerously obese category.  What a shame, just as she was conquering her compulsion.  :( 

• Love 1

oh Sandy, it is in my top ten for sure, and I am a hoarder fan freak woman. She was such a liar. There was another gal who collected perfume and lotions, I could identify with that, but she was so insane. Girls, everything has an expiration date.  Oh oh oh, I also love hoarders who hoard expired food, and I have no idea why. I throw shit out before it expires now. That's how wonderful this show is.  It's good for us.  Bring it back please. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

oh Sandy, it is in my top ten for sure, and I am a hoarder fan freak woman. She was such a liar. There was another gal who collected perfume and lotions, I could identify with that, but she was so insane. Girls, everything has an expiration date.  Oh oh oh, I also love hoarders who hoard expired food, and I have no idea why. I throw shit out before it expires now. That's how wonderful this show is.  It's good for us.  Bring it back please. 

Found a can of food in my brother's kitchen cabinet yesterday that expired in 2002. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Good God from Zion....15 and 16 year old food, that's pretty good! I can't believe the can didn't blow up. 

He figures if the can hasn't blown up or there's not a big bulge in it, it's still safe. Of course, the food has no nutritional value after 18 years.

• Love 1

What kind of stomachs must these people have. It's like in that really old Woody Allen (Bananas) movie where a Cuban dictator says, (after his food taster drops dead) "I never worry about my food being poisoned, I developed an immunity to it years ago."

I saw some crazy broad on one of these Hoarder shows (she claimed she was a scientist) slurp up some completely rotten moldie yogurt in front of the shrink, and was thrilled because it was her last chance to do so as her un-frugal family was throwing out all her rotten food. Blaughhhhhhhhhh. 

On 2015-05-25 at 5:48 PM, onlyme14 said:

In the cases where these people rent, I mostly feel sorry for the property owners.  And I know it is difficult to evict someone these days, but yikes.  I would be furious if I had one of these hoarders renting my home, only to find out I couldn't evict them.   I know it is a mental illness, but allowing it to continue doesn't help either.  When the city says they are going to evict someone, at times I think they should follow through and just do it.

I live in a housing coop and it took 5 years of accommodating our hoarders 'disability' before we could even begin an eviction process. Our hoarder knew all the loopholes.  She'd be called to the board and state she hadn't seen her psychiatrist so she'd get another month. Then she needed a few months for the meds and therapy to kick in. Then her son who didn't even live with her got sick. Then then then to infinity. After 5 years worth of documentation we realized she couldn't ever be seeing her doctor if she was always telling us the same set of lies over and over. We called the fire department who gave her 30 days to make pathways so EMS could enter her unit if they had too. Forget clearing the hoard just pathways.  On day 30 she recruited idiots from the community center to help her clear paths. They cleared and piled her crap into the hallway blocking every other tenants doors. Not only did her unit get a condemned notice but the coop was given 5 hours to clear her hoard from the hallway. In desperation we allowed her to move the crap from the hall to the coop party room. She was given another 30 days but promised she'd sort the crap in the party room. She didn't.  I won't type the book required to tell you everything but OMG. I'm an RN and do have empathy but hoarding is more like an infectious disease than a mental illness in the affect it has on others. This woman hoarded bottles of urine. Nuff said I feel nauseous just thinking about her.

• Love 5
On 1/27/2018 at 3:51 PM, JudyObscure said:

That was an unforgettable episode and this part just seemed barely legal to me.  How can anyone, in good conscience, sell a house that has been soaked with sewage?  All the flooring, the subflooring and the lower parts of the drywall must be contaminated.  Shudder.

Also, I wish they had said something to warn the poor sister-in-law before she walked into the slime in open-toed shoes! Seriously. One of them should have said, "Honey, you better get your boots on."

On 5/26/2018 at 12:25 PM, Krovky said:

I live in a housing coop and it took 5 years of accommodating our hoarders 'disability' before we could even begin an eviction process. Our hoarder knew all the loopholes.  She'd be called to the board and state she hadn't seen her psychiatrist so she'd get another month. Then she needed a few months for the meds and therapy to kick in. Then her son who didn't even live with her got sick. Then then then to infinity. After 5 years worth of documentation we realized she couldn't ever be seeing her doctor if she was always telling us the same set of lies over and over. We called the fire department who gave her 30 days to make pathways so EMS could enter her unit if they had too. Forget clearing the hoard just pathways.  On day 30 she recruited idiots from the community center to help her clear paths. They cleared and piled her crap into the hallway blocking every other tenants doors. Not only did her unit get a condemned notice but the coop was given 5 hours to clear her hoard from the hallway. In desperation we allowed her to move the crap from the hall to the coop party room. She was given another 30 days but promised she'd sort the crap in the party room. She didn't.  I won't type the book required to tell you everything but OMG. I'm an RN and do have empathy but hoarding is more like an infectious disease than a mental illness in the affect it has on others. This woman hoarded bottles of urine. Nuff said I feel nauseous just thinking about her.

There's a similar discussion going on in the Hoarders board. I really think in some cases it is also a personality disorder and these people are selfish in antisocial. In the other case, this woman managed to secure over a million dollars in loans from the bank against her mansion which she proceeded to fritter away on crap she didn't need. On the one hand they are "incompetent." On the other hand many of them are highly manipulative, very selfish, and doing things that are hella shady. And, they are ignoring the obvious distress they cause people around them. I'd compare them to alcoholics, but they are altered by substances. Hoarders are stone cold sober.

• Love 4

Thank you Coach, you nailed it.......oh baby i see it right now. I can't deal with the crap my friend puts out. but she is not shady, just crazy. Oh let's just keep 20 computers from my old office that is being closed  because I don't trust anybody to remove the hard drives. (her firm hired a group to do this) 

but nooooooooooooooooooo

• Love 1

In a Canadian newspaper, the 41 year old Beverly's story  imdb identifies Beverly as Beverly Harris of Edmonton Alberta

This seems to be her and she died unexpectedly at age 43 in 2015

her obituary

TLC is rerunning this episode right now. Reruns again at 1:00 Eastern. 

Poor Beverly. And poor Beverly's dogs. ?

(edited)

OMG, the episode with Dale is on right now

S2, Episode 14, Overwhelming Pile of Junk: Chip's family of six is forced into 1600 square feet of living space.

I despise and loathe this guy (Chip) with the heat of a thousand suns. Yeah, he's sick. And he's so comfortable in his sickness that he just keeps punishing his family. His wife has bad arthritis, has had joints replaced and has such limited mobility she can't climb or step over the stuff left lying on the floor. His kids have tried to help, cleaned up areas of the house, then it's trashed again as fast as they can clean it up. 

He buys shit all the time and has racked up big credit card debt. Then brings all the crap he buys home, and stuffs it into his house because he can't be bothered to care about whether his wife and kids have a decent place to live. This episode is about half over. I don't remember how it ended. I just remember what an entitled POS old Chip was. And how passive his wife and teen daughters seemed. I remember entertaining the idea that maybe some dark night he would fall asleep and then be accidentally crushed to death by a sliding teetering pile of hoarder lasagna . . . 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 4

Hi all, I'm new here and have enjoyed reading all your comments both funny and sad.

We are currently getting re-runs of this hoarding show in the UK.  We are all totally shocked at the way some people live - or should that be manage to survive -  in such filth. 

Last week we saw the show featuring the old woman hoarder who told the therapist and clean up crew that she had lost her set of false teeth in her hoard. What a tragi-comic classic.

I could hardly believe it when she and the therapist stood there and, quite seriously, told the clean up crew before they began to literally shovel away the layers of filth and rubbish strewn feet deep over every room in the house, to 'look out for a set of dentures' as the 'client' wanted them back!

The client had lost them several years ago, and was clearly still in dire need of them.

Unbelievably the crew find the top set, nauseatingly dirty of course, beneath rotting black stuff and dust on the floor once the room has been partially cleared. The hoarder then ungratefully complains that they haven't yet found the bottom set.... so she will still find it hard to chew food with them!!!  Nooooo....but...

OH YES....She's planning to put them back in her toothless mouth.

Surely someone in such a terrible mental state should not be living outside of an institution.

Retch.

• Love 4

Hi Ms Truffle!  I've watched most of the UK show, "Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners," on YouTube and enjoyed seeing the British hoarders they feature on the second half of the shows.  Mostly I like seeing the OCD cleaners doing their thing in their spotless homes.  Very inspiring!

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 2:21 PM, jcbrown said:

Recorded a few of these last night. I am watching the one entitled something like, "A VCR for every day of the week."  I've never wanted to slap someone on TV as much as I want to slap the idiot son. Father and son and son's girlfriend live in the squalor and the drama is whether they can clean up the house to keep the father out of jail on a code violation and to bring home the preemie baby the two younger idiots have created. Son evidently lacks all life skills, speaks so unintelligibly he has to be subtitled, and reacts to every imagined slight by trying to attack. The three idiots deserve each other and I hope the baby is taken away just as the twelve cats were. Just makes me wonder how they thought they were coming off on TV because I cannot imagine why they did the show.

I followed up on those two guys. Apparently the son and his girlfriend are separated (thankfully). She seemed halfway normal. I hope she got full custody of the baby.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:52 AM, MsTruffle said:

Hi all, I'm new here and have enjoyed reading all your comments both funny and sad.

We are currently getting re-runs of this hoarding show in the UK.  We are all totally shocked at the way some people live - or should that be manage to survive -  in such filth. 

Last week we saw the show featuring the old woman hoarder who told the therapist and clean up crew that she had lost her set of false teeth in her hoard. What a tragi-comic classic.

I could hardly believe it when she and the therapist stood there and, quite seriously, told the clean up crew before they began to literally shovel away the layers of filth and rubbish strewn feet deep over every room in the house, to 'look out for a set of dentures' as the 'client' wanted them back!

The client had lost them several years ago, and was clearly still in dire need of them.

Unbelievably the crew find the top set, nauseatingly dirty of course, beneath rotting black stuff and dust on the floor once the room has been partially cleared. The hoarder then ungratefully complains that they haven't yet found the bottom set.... so she will still find it hard to chew food with them!!!  Nooooo....but...

OH YES....She's planning to put them back in her toothless mouth.

Surely someone in such a terrible mental state should not be living outside of an institution.

Retch.

The UK has hoarders, too! And hoarder shows. The Hoarder Next Door is one, Britain's Biggest Hoarders is another, don't know if any others.

• Love 1

I'm watching the rerun of "It's Just Sex" with Herv and Janet who used their young sons death years ago as an excuse to neglect their other son, and trash their house.   This is the one where they were swingers, and Herv is still screwing his girlfriend Wendy.   Herv claims he and Wendy the Huge are just friends, but he invites her to clean the hoard, and shows her around his house, and discusses his sex life with the wife while standing on the bed.    Yes , Wendy is  the one that the narrator called the "elephant in the room", and the production crew showed a butt shot of her huge rear.   He claims he's no longer screwing Wendy, but he treats her way better, and talks to her much more intimately than his poor wife.    I did love when Dr. Becky was telling Wendy to leave, and she said she slept with Janet too.      The look on Dr. Becky's face is classic.   

If anyone thinks Herv and Wendy are over, they need to get a clue, it's obvious that the real relationship is Wendy and Herv, and Janet has been dumped years ago.     The poor son knew all of this, so he was living in a tent in the back yard because his parents are living with Wendy.     The son's friend in so nice, and helpful.     I can't believe the authorities let these people move back into a house that is falling down after the clean up.      Janet is fooling herself if she thinks anything will change.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm watching the rerun of "It's Just Sex" with Herv and Janet who used their young sons death years ago as an excuse to neglect their other son, and trash their house.   

This episode and the episode with Shelley who invented a twin sister for the purposes of blaming that imaginary sibling for having sex with her husband and for maintaining her own hoard of purses are among my two favorite hours of television ever. Because this episode was straight-up bonkers. If it were in a book of fiction, I'd throw the book away for wasting my time with such a ludicrous, unbelievable story.

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think they posted on here that Shelley died a few years ago.   

I thought it was just Beverly from Canada who died? 

If Shelley's dead, I hope her family buried her in the living room under a pile of her purses. 

I wonder if her twin sister came to the funeral, and picked up her purses? 

And that awful animal hoarder from Indiana (I think Indiana) died.  Hannah maybe?   I bet there are others, but they haven't found them under their hoard yet. 

I think I read on here that Shelley's husband gave up on the hoarders episode house, and bought another one.   I'm sure he was shocked when she hoarded that one too, but then he was a moron. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Which episode was this?  (season and episode) I am binge watching episodes.  I'm thinking maybe in was season 1 or 2?  All of your comments are making me laugh out loud! 

Edited by katt7

According to reports, Shelley has gone to the big hoard in the sky, probably still with her 'sister's' frog and other purses dragged behind her.    However, my view is she was so evil to her idiot husband and poor children, that she should worry about the purses bursting into flames where she probably ended up.  

13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

to the big hoard in the sky

Maybe you haven't watched South Park, but if you have, you'll remember the mounds of junk burning in the background all around Hell. 

Somehow the phrase "big hoard in the sky" reminded me of those episodes of South Park.

Watching the first of the year marathon.  They do this every year about this time, I guess they know lots of people are taking down Christmas decorations and looking for space for their new stuff.

I just watched Maggie in Chicago.  A pleasant looking woman with well done hair and an embarrassed smile as her teenage son Justin talks about how he has a serious lung condition and the slightest bump on the chest could kill him.  She has piled up the whole house, including his room,  with chairs teetering on top of wobbly, ten foot high stacks.  Her older son comes to visit and talks about how dangerous it is for his little brother.  Maggie giggles and says, "But you can sort of see my point of view can't you?"  He says, "No.  It all looks like junk to me."  Maggie's eyes fill with tears and she looks really hurt for the first time. He's dissing her stuff.

Many years ago Maggie's husband told her she could not buy a Christmas tree -- probably concerned about the fire hazard.   While he was gone she got a tree anyway and trimmed it.  He came home and carried it outside, ornaments falling in it's path. Maggie says the bastard actually stepped on some of the ornaments and crushed them! Fifteen years later Maggie still hasn't got over this ornament abuse. 

Maggie keeps buying stuff saying she's going to sell it online.  I've noticed several serious threat conditions for hoarders: e-bay, crafting, "art", newspapers, magazines, recycling, and  any item anywhere  that's on sale.

Maggie's got a visit from the therapist now.  She's talking about how it all goes back to her husband who broke some of her "stuff."  The whole family has a meeting with the therapist and the sons are being so nice.  They love their mom.  I want to shake her.

• Love 2
On 5/16/2018 at 6:38 AM, gotta watch said:

@ZaldamoWilder her name was Beverly. I can still remember the traumatized friend in a slightly Canadian (?) accent exclaiming "Beverly! OH BEVERLY!" as she saw the hoard and all the dog feces. I looked her up for an update and I believe Beverly passed away.

On 5/17/2018 at 12:58 PM, ZaldamoWilder said:

Thank you for that.   Oh how sad!  I remember her being fairly young.  I know that's relative, but I mean young to die.  I don't think that girl was over 50.    But she did appear to be in a dangerously obese category.  What a shame, just as she was conquering her compulsion.  :( 

On 5/17/2018 at 1:39 PM, enoughcats said:

In a Canadian newspaper, the 41 year old Beverly's story  imdb identifies Beverly as Beverly Harris of Edmonton Alberta

This seems to be her and she died unexpectedly at age 43 in 2015

her obituary

Oh man. They are showing Beverly's episode on Discovery Life right now. [S5:E12, "Somewhere in My Pile."] I kind of remembered reading here that Beverly had died, and I found it poignant that very early on in the episode, she said in a TH that the only love she had in her life was her dogs. And, in her post last year, @ZaldamoWilder just nailed that early scene where her friend came over to help her and it all just went - literally - to sh*t. May she RIP. I hope she's somewhere nice, playing with dogs and being enveloped in a lot of love.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 4
On 1/17/2019 at 10:48 AM, Jeeves said:

Oh man. They are showing Beverly's episode on Discovery Life right now. [S5:E12, "Somewhere in My Pile."] I kind of remembered reading here that Beverly had died, and I found it poignant that very early on in the episode, she said in a TH that the only love she had in her life was her dogs. And, in her post last year, @ZaldamoWilder just nailed that early scene where her friend came over to help her and it all just went - literally - to sh*t. May she RIP. I hope she's somewhere nice, playing with dogs and being enveloped in a lot of love.

I just now watched Beverly's episode and felt compelled to comment on the board.  I think Beverly was one of the worst I've seen - but there is one who tops her and I wonder if anyone can tell me the woman's name?  Social Services was going to take her three very young children away if she didn't clean up her house.  The therapist TRIED (key word - TRIED) to get her to throw away ONE thing - an old used McDonald's paper take-away drink cup - and she couldn't do it.  "NO!  I can use that for so many purposes!"  Really?!?  She actually chose her trash over her kids, because there was NO clean up - no clean rooms at the end of the show.   I SOOO wanted ANYONE that was on the show to look her right in the eyes and say "_________, you are going to lose your KIDS if you don't dump TRASH!  Your KIDS are worth SO much more than garbage and junk!"  But of course no one really got to the point with her.  

I wanted to see where she is now and what happened, but I saw the show so long ago I don't remember her name.

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 2

That might be the one in Kansas?     If it's the right episode, then the kids ended up with the grandparents, and the mother moved in there too, because she was still a hoarder, and CPS wouldn't let the kids move back to the house, or let the mother have unsupervised contact.   I think the husband divorced her too.     In that episode, someone donated a couple of semi trailers or connexes to store everything packed up in boxes.   Even later someone said the connexes, or semis had to go back and the junk boxes moved back into the house, or into storage.        The woman wouldn't even get rid of total garbage for her kids. 

There was another woman that they were going to take her kids, and she said that was fine, because she would know the kids were OK, but if she gave her animals up for adoption she couldn't control where they went, or what happened to them.

Actually, there were a ton of bad parents on both hoarder shows, and I always hated their selfishness at subjecting their kids, and animals to the hoards, and vermin.      I also couldn't stand the enabling partners who did nothing to save their kids from the hoarders, and left them behind.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

I didn't see that one, and I thought I had seen them all, I might have just turned it off, because seriously there isn't even a place in hell for a parent like that.  Me, I am now totally into Marie Khono however you spell her name. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

I didn't see that one, and I thought I had seen them all, I might have just turned it off, because seriously there isn't even a place in hell for a parent like that.  Me, I am now totally into Marie Khono however you spell her name. 

Marie Kondo.  My daughter and her husband read the book and I recently bought the summary.  I both like it and don't like it.  

• Love 2

Hope this isn't too off topic as it ties into the topic of how hoarders get that way.

Somewhere around here we've discussed that old Brit TV series, How Clean is Your House? which featured Kim and Aggie. Some of the people featured on that show were at least early stage hoarders, although K&A were focused on getting them to clear up and clean up their horrendous houses.

Today I discovered, on Amazon Prime video, a series based in Canada starring Kim, called Kim's Rude Awakenings. Kim along with a younger male sidekick, visits the cluttered dirty homes of overwhelmed families and gets them all working together to clean up, clear out, and get organized. I watched a few episodes of the show, which I think was filmed several years ago. And I believe I watched the beginnings of a hoarder right there before the camera. It was episode 3, the Edwards family. The family was told to each fetch the most important objects from their cluttered attic in a short time, like a few minutes. Then Kim announced that whatever was left was obviously not important and they staged a bonfire in the backyard with a lot of that. The problem was that the youngest daughter in the scenes leading up to the fire was obviously very distressed because there was a toy (I think a doll) she had left in the attic that she loved. I could have slugged all the fecking adults - including her dad and Kim - who just said, "Oh, you haven't played with that in a long time." The scene where she had to watch them burning the doll was awful. She was upset and crying. Later on her dad said yes I didn't realize how much she loved that doll. I think that it really was a special one.

Anyway, it was a really awful thing to watch, especially for someone who's watched the hoarder shows. It's not unusual for a hoarder to recall a time in their childhood when some or all of their possessions were taken away from them. Little did I dream when I started streaming this episode of good old Kim that I would see something that awful happening right in front of the camera. I appreciate that the "buck up and deal with it, sweetie" approach is fine in general, but this child was IMO simply so young that this wasn't bracing for her, it was downright cruel. 

Yikes.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Hope this isn't too off topic as it ties into the topic of how hoarders get that way.

Somewhere around here we've discussed that old Brit TV series, How Clean is Your House? which featured Kim and Aggie. Some of the people featured on that show were at least early stage hoarders, although K&A were focused on getting them to clear up and clean up their horrendous houses.

Today I discovered, on Amazon Prime video, a series based in Canada starring Kim, called Kim's Rude Awakenings. Kim along with a younger male sidekick, visits the cluttered dirty homes of overwhelmed families and gets them all working together to clean up, clear out, and get organized. I watched a few episodes of the show, which I think was filmed several years ago. And I believe I watched the beginnings of a hoarder right there before the camera. It was episode 3, the Edwards family. The family was told to each fetch the most important objects from their cluttered attic in a short time, like a few minutes. Then Kim announced that whatever was left was obviously not important and they staged a bonfire in the backyard with a lot of that. The problem was that the youngest daughter in the scenes leading up to the fire was obviously very distressed because there was a toy (I think a doll) she had left in the attic that she loved. I could have slugged all the fecking adults - including her dad and Kim - who just said, "Oh, you haven't played with that in a long time." The scene where she had to watch them burning the doll was awful. She was upset and crying. Later on her dad said yes I didn't realize how much she loved that doll. I think that it really was a special one.

Anyway, it was a really awful thing to watch, especially for someone who's watched the hoarder shows. It's not unusual for a hoarder to recall a time in their childhood when some or all of their possessions were taken away from them. Little did I dream when I started streaming this episode of good old Kim that I would see something that awful happening right in front of the camera. I appreciate that the "buck up and deal with it, sweetie" approach is fine in general, but this child was IMO simply so young that this wasn't bracing for her, it was downright cruel. 

Yikes.

Wow.  There is just so many things wrong with that show.  Poor kid.    And who BURNS up stuff that could be donated?  Let's just add toxic crap to the air for fun!

• Love 2

This show is my guilty pleasure. i am now getting all the episodes I didnt see when they originally aired. Last night I watched Gary, the hoarder from Colorado, who had to sleep outside because the house was packed with crap. During the episode, he revealed his cancer returned with a vengence. i googled him and saw that his home was sold in Sept., 2016 as a hoarders home. it explained the home was featured on a Hoarders episode but after a few months, he had to start sleeping outside again. It said Gary died recently and the family wanted no part of this house, just as his son said in the episode. RIP Gary.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Happy Belly said:

This show is my guilty pleasure. i am now getting all the episodes I didnt see when they originally aired. Last night I watched Gary, the hoarder from Colorado, who had to sleep outside because the house was packed with crap. During the episode, he revealed his cancer returned with a vengence. i googled him and saw that his home was sold in Sept., 2016 as a hoarders home. it explained the home was featured on a Hoarders episode but after a few months, he had to start sleeping outside again. It said Gary died recently and the family wanted no part of this house, just as his son said in the episode. RIP Gary.

I live in Colorado so you made me curious about Gary and I had to google it.  His house was in Commerce City - most of it is the armpit of Colorado, although there are some newer, nicer homes on the outskirts.  I can't imagine him sleeping OUTSIDE - it's BITTERLY COLD through part of the year!  They said the house would have to be bulldozed and the buyer could build on the property.  Here is a pic of the outside for those who want to see:  image.thumb.png.c1f8035da1314ed9de398e663d4ecc87.png

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 1

Oh my gosh - check THIS out!!  A hoarder's son died... and she lived with his rotting corpse for 20 years, not even knowing he was dead!  She thought he moved out and left.  They said the smell of garbage and waste covered up the smell of his rotting body.

A blind hoarder who had always wondered what became of her son 20 years ago has discovered that he was lying dead upstairs the whole time.

But because there was so much junk and bad smells in the house, she apparently had no idea.

Authorities in New York say they believe the woman thought he had simply left home without saying anything.

Now the horrific truth has been revealed at the house on Avenue N near East 22nd Street.

The mother is now quite elderly and had been living with the skeletal remains of her son, possibly for as long as 20 years, the New York Post reports.

She is a legally blind hoarder who may not have even known he was there, NYPD sources told the paper.

The chilling discovery was made on 15 September when a relative arrived at Rita Wolfensohn’s home in Midwood.

Rita was in hospital and needed some things, and the relative was helping out.

Upstairs, in a bedroom stuffed full of items, the sister-in-law Josette Buchman found a “completely intact” skeleton, dressed in jeans, socks and a shirt, lying on its back on a thin mattress on the floor, police sources told The Post.

The law-enforcement source told the paper it was like something out of Hitchcock’s finest horror – the 1960 flick in which a son, Norman Bates,keeps his dead mother’s remains in a basement.

The source said: “It was like some reverse ‘Psycho’ scene.”

However, it seems investigators really believe Ms Wolfensohn may not have known she was living with the corpse of her son.

Cobwebs and garbage filled the room where the body was found.

The smell of decaying food had long replaced any odour of rotting flesh.

Police asked her about her son, and she talked as if he had simply moved out.

Authorities have not yet officially identified the body but believe the man was Wolfensohn’s son and that he died of natural causes.

According to public records, Wolfensohn had two sons, Michael and Louis.

Relatives said they had not seen Louis - who today would be 49 years old - in 20 years.

Michael died in 2003 at the age of 38, according to court documents, said the paper.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Wow.  There is just so many things wrong with that show.  Poor kid.    And who BURNS up stuff that could be donated?  Let's just add toxic crap to the air for fun!

Well, they didn't burn everything, it was just a few things. Probably as noted because of municipal air quality issues. But they did burn that doll and even a day later I'm still thinking of how horrible it was for that child. 

I don't want to mischaracterize that series (Kim's Rude Awakenings) as a whole, because I've watched more episodes and haven't seen anything like that again. OK, I do use the FF key but there were few small kids in the other episodes and they didn't seem traumatized. The show features a lot of families with an overwhelmed mom/wife who's waiting on her family hand and foot.. I was going to rant about some of them because I do. not. get. how people can raise such lazy entitled kids. And other things. But the rant got too long. 

Anyway, the families on the show need a swift kick in the rear and some training in household management and cleaning. They did go too far with that one young child, though. I blame her parents for being so oblivious to their own child's state of mind and emotions, and it wasn't inconsistent with other things I saw on that episode.

2 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Anyway, the families on the show need a swift kick in the rear and some training in household management and cleaning. They did go too far with that one young child, though. I blame her parents for being so oblivious to their own child's state of mind and emotions, and it wasn't inconsistent with other things I saw on that episode.

People who are mentally healthy do not live like this.  Everyone doesn't have to be neat freaks and there is nothing wrong with living in clutter, if that doesn't bother you.  But when your house moves beyond clutter into carpets that can never be vacuumed/floors that can't be swept or mopped, counters that can't be cleaned, bathtubs and toilets that aren't scrubbed - living in dirt and filth - something definitely needs to be done.  People who live like this don't even mind it because it becomes the "norm" for them, and they don't see anything wrong with it.   I might like to check out that show.

My mum was a hoarder - she was an antique book collector. (Among other things).  We had pathways through the house.  The garage was filled from floor to ceiling and so was the entire FULL basement.  You couldn't even go into either because stuff was packed up to the doorways.  The stairs had a narrow aisle left because stuff was stacked on the stairs.  The laundry room and hallways were full.  Spare bedroom packed to the door.  Stuff stacked all over the bathrooms, the living room, the dining room (table buried, of course.)  I couldn't have friends over.  My mum was CLEAN - no bugs, no garbage or trash so maybe she wouldn't have been interesting enough for the show - but she wouldn't have gotten rid of anything, anyway.  It was definitely a mental illness.  She passed away (from Altzheimers) and my dad sold her books to a bookseller back east.  They had three FULL semi trucks, a crew of 11 - and it took them three full days to move the books out of the house.  It's STILL full of stuff (just not books) - and my dad won't let you toss out/donate anything.  He's a hoarder, too.  I wonder how many hoarder COUPLES there are?  I tried to load a picture but am told they are too big and I don't know how to fix them.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Note to everyone who loves Hoarder shows, my DVR just notified me that the 10th season of Hoarders will be starting up in a few weeks!  

Fantastic! Where did the hoarders topic disappear too? I was just reading it yesterday...

• Love 1

I'm watching the Buried alive with Lynn and Kyle, and it's amazing.     I would not be surprised to see the two 'stars' rolling on the ground punching and kicking.      Note to Lynn, nail polish does go bad, and even if it's not opened, the second you open it then it's going to dry virtually instantly.        Lynn is another one who lost her dentures in the hoard, they found them, and she popped them right in her mouth.   I have to go lose my lunch now.    

The boyfriend or husband is just as bad.  His 'valuable' computers are so old they take the old disks.     He actually called a home inspector, because their house is a duplex, and he wanted to rent out the other side.     He will never get a certificate of occupancy for that place, even if they gut it.       The fact their own side has a wall heater with a bunch of clothes and paper right next to it makes the entire place a death trap.     I feel sorry for the man's grown daughters, who have never been inside the house until they came for the clean up.     

After the clean up, the daughter brings her tiny baby to visit,.   Is she nuts?     No mention of the thousands of back taxes, utility bills, and everything else.    

I'm not sure I can keep watching Barbara who lived in D.C. during 9/11, and couldn't cope so she moved to Ohio, and created a hoard in her entire first floor, and basement.     The entire house is full of cat hair, and I wouldn't call them dust bunnies, more like dust coyotes.    The barn is disgusting too, and there are old, unrepaired cars in the driveway, barn/storage, and everywhere else.    They had garage sales and made very little.   Professional auctioneers came in and looked at the storage/workshop/barn, and house, and found very little of value.    

I remember this one now, with Tommy the musician who dumpster dives in L.A., after some kind of disabling aneurysm.       His two bedroom apartment is horrific.    His daughter says if Tommy can't live on his own any longer, or gets evicted then if he comes to live with her, that his hoarding will stop then.    Good luck with that , it really doesn't stop them.   

I used to live in Colorado Springs, and the woman who had hoarded the entire house, her son's basement, huge storage units, and rented an old store downtown was out of her mind.   I know exactly where that old storefront is, and her husband was right, I wouldn't go to that part of town in daylight, let alone after dark.     He is more understanding than I would be, because the second I found out about all of the storage fees, junk in them, the storefront, and at the son's house, and the lying, I would have filed for divorce.  

The woman who hoarded her house, and her son moved out at 12 to live with grandma next door will never change.   My guess (it was a 2012 episode from the date on the end of the show) is that she had the place hoarded again, because it happens that way with hoarders over and over.     I felt so sorry for the son.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
Just now, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm watching the Buried alive with Lynn and Kyle, and it's amazing.     I would not be surprised to see the two 'stars' rolling on the ground punching and kicking.      Note to Lynn, nail polish does go bad, and even if it's not opened, the second you open it then it's going to dry virtually instantly.        Lynn is another one who lost her dentures in the hoard, they found them, and she popped them right in her mouth.   I have to go lose my lunch now.    

The boyfriend or husband is just as bad.  His 'valuable' computers are so old they take the old disks.     He actually called a home inspector, because their house is a duplex, and he wanted to rent out the other side.     He will never get a certificate of occupancy for that place, even if they gut it.       The fact their own side has a wall heater with a bunch of clothes and paper right next to it makes the entire place a death trap.     I feel sorry for the man's grown daughters, who have never been inside the house until they came for the clean up.     

It absolutely boggles the mind.

• Love 1