Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 1-3: High School Years

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, allicatexp said:

These we all in the same season! Dammit writers, get it together!

Yea, that bugged me too. I never worked in TV, but how hard is it to have a Bio or resume of all the characters on file to keep that shit straight? You would think it would be easy enough to have a one-page summary, like Kelly Taylor, born April 8 1974 in Los Angeles, CA bla bla bla. But then, I guess, they couldn't retcon to Jeebus like they do. 

On 3/29/2017 at 10:01 PM, AndySmith said:

But Tori wins for the best title for a movie..."Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?"

LOVE that movie. It is so damn bad, it's the golden age of 90s Niner cheesy-TV movie appearances. Another Tori classic: Death of a Cheerleader. 

I have one - Jennie Garth in an "Unfinished Affair" where she plays a pyscho artist with bad extensions and I believe her co-star was her ex husband Peter Facinelli? So good!

• Love 2

but how hard is it to have a Bio or resume of all the characters on file to keep that shit straight?

To be fair, I don't think showrunners were all that concerned with things like show bibles (or whatever they are called) back then. I'm sure some shows did, but they were probably few and far between. Definitely not as common as things are today.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BBHN said:

To be fair, I don't think showrunners were all that concerned with things like show bibles (or whatever they are called) back then. I'm sure some shows did, but they were probably few and far between. Definitely not as common as things are today.

Yeah I think it's more a case of they don't care more than they aren't capable .. if it suits the storyline , they'll go with it 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Klaw said:

Yea, that bugged me too. I never worked in TV, but how hard is it to have a Bio or resume of all the characters on file to keep that shit straight? You would think it would be easy enough to have a one-page summary, like Kelly Taylor, born April 8 1974 in Los Angeles, CA bla bla bla. But then, I guess, they couldn't retcon to Jeebus like they do. 

LOVE that movie. It is so damn bad, it's the golden age of 90s Niner cheesy-TV movie appearances. Another Tori classic: Death of a Cheerleader. 

I have one - Jennie Garth in an "Unfinished Affair" where she plays a pyscho artist with bad extensions and I believe her co-star was her ex husband Peter Facinelli? So good!

omg what about Shando in "Friends til the End" where she was a *singer* and the girl who was Bailey's first GF from Party of Five was a psycho?

Actually, Susannah Hoffs (goddess!) from the Bangles co-wrote that "Stop" song in it, which was actually a really good song

• Love 3
1 hour ago, teapot said:

omg what about Shando in "Friends til the End" where she was a *singer* and the girl who was Bailey's first GF from Party of Five was a psycho?

Actually, Susannah Hoffs (goddess!) from the Bangles co-wrote that "Stop" song in it, which was actually a really good song

Oh this one is a classic.  And most of the songs were actual Cranberry songs, I believe.  

But "Mother, May I Sleep with Danger" was pure gold, and so was the sequel that came out last year, written and directed by James Franco and featuring lesbian vampires.

• Love 3

My personal favourite movie starring a BH 90210 cast member was the Danielle Steele movie "The Star" which my bff and I always refer to as "the one where Kelly gets beat up by Blossom's dad". 

• Love 8

Just caught a Jordan Bonner appearance in another show! I just watched a rerun of Roseanne and he was a flower delivery guy that showed up at the Conner house to give flowers to Becky. It was only a second. It that was definitely him.

I always thought it was dumb that Jim and Cindy freaked out about Brenda having sex, and not just because of the double standard they had when it came to Brandon.  Dylan was a teenager who had no adult supervision, access to a trust fund which had millions or billions of dollars in it (depending on the day of the week), was a recovering alcoholic and drug addict, but the only problem they had with Dylan was Brenda might have sex with him.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

I always thought it was dumb that Jim and Cindy freaked out about Brenda having sex, and not just because of the double standard they had when it came to Brandon.  Dylan was a teenager who had no adult supervision, access to a trust fund which had millions or billions of dollars in it (depending on the day of the week), was a recovering alcoholic and drug addict, but the only problem they had with Dylan was Brenda might have sex with him.

I always thought those other Dylan factors were problematic from Jim's perspective. Like he was a sexist hypocrite and also realized that Dylan was a ton of drama.

• Love 1

Buzzfeed talked to TV writers about their gun-related episodes (DeGrassi, My So-Called Life, Law and Order, etc.), including Charles Rosen for the "The Next 50 Years" episode. The whole article is interesting, but I had to share this piece of casting information.

I distinctly remember hearing about a 17-year-old who had been accidentally shot and killed in a hotel near Disneyland on grad night on the morning I was supposed to inform Doug Emerson, the actor who played freshman nerd Scott Scanlon, that we were not picking up his option for Season 2. But instead of kicking him to the curb, I asked if he would come back as a recurring character for a few episodes in which, after returning from a summer spent with his grandparents in Oklahoma, his best boyhood friend — West Beverly D.J., David Silver — would effectively shun him (and his ubiquitous cowboy hat) now that he started hanging out at The Peach Pit with the popular kids.

I wonder how they otherwise would have addressed Scott's absence? Maybe his family moved to Oklahoma? And what would have become of Sue Woo Woo Scanlon?

• Love 1

I was watching some episodes on POP, including the one where girls at West Beverly are getting attacked and raped and Brenda volunteers at the hotline and ends up being key to catching the dudes. In the original Andrea is talking to Brandon and she says admiringly that "She's (Brenda) a good listener". That got wiped out on Pop.

Couple of things I've noticed about the high school years is all the stuff they had on the walls at West Beverly. Like seriously, they were covered with home/class made posters for a bullshit event or fundraiser or dance. Shit they had CHRISTMAS decorations in the halls! My high school in Maryland 84-88 didn't have ANY of that shit. The drama club had it's own bulletin board, but that was it. If there was a dance or fundraiser or whatever you'd hear about it when your club/group got together or during the morning/afternoon announcements.

The other thing that bothered me was seeing how many kids carried books from class to class, or if you were Brandon or Dylan, one of those mini-briefcase things. EVERYONE at my school had a bookbag and EVERYONE carried it on ONE shoulder, NO ONE used two. NO ONE. That was grounds for a swirlee. For the kids who had bookbags on the show they did get that right.

• Love 1

So I'm actively watching again after learning of Luke’s sudden passing.  And MY GOD. I'd forgotten how CONDESCENDING AND JUDGMENTAL Aaahndraya was. I just want to slap her. And it seems they aired the date rape episode and the mother daughter fashion out of order, because at the end of the latter, Brenda, Kelly, and her Harpy self seemed to have established a friendship. Yet when Brandon suggests Brenda talk to Andrea about doing something meaningful, Brenda has this look of -Are you kidding me? And Andrea herself looks down on Brenda, treating her like some shallow ditz. And this episode aired AFTER the Mom-Daughter one and makes no sense. But one would think, that Andrea would try to be friends with Brenda, considering she thinks she's Brandon’s girlfriend (we all know she's not, but she treats him like her property in that she can tell him what to do and is always hoping he’ll notice her and judges him when he doesn't meet her standards), and...well, y’all know what I mean!!!

I feel like a tween again, watching Dylan and Brenda fall in love. The lingering looks and smiles before ”Isn't It Romantic?” airs.

SIGH...🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

• Love 2

I love the show , but Aaandrea was miscast IMO. She started the show at 30 years old which ( good for her ), but was a tad ridiculous considering she was playing a 15 ,16 year old . I also always felt more annoyed by her than anything else . The Susan Keats actress would have made a better Aahndrea . I wonder what they would have done with Andrea if she stayed on the show till the end . I read that the show runners were pissed that she was pregnant and they had to write it in .. but I don’t understand why they couldn’t do what they did with other shows and just hide her under packages or something . 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, meggonzo said:

I think Gabrielle wanted the pregnancy written into the show.  I'm not sure why the producers agreed to it.

Yes, I remember reading something about that as well.

What I love about the first season? Is the love and support between Brandon and Brenda. Well, except when Brandon didn't support Brenda or defend Dylan in "Isn't it Romantic" at the dinner table. But he made up for it, when he laid into Dylan for standing Brenda up. If I recall, and sorry that I'm jumping to season 4, Shannen's last season, but Dylan was the ONLY one who supported Brenda during the attack of Ahhhhhndraya's lab, and when she was accused of sleeping with the casting director. I was SO PISSED at Brandon for not having Brenda's back. I blame it on the Kelly Influence. Stupid TWAT.

And, and, AAAAND...in one of those clips that POP has been airing, specifically their Senior Prom? Brenda tells Dylan how she said that: "almost over loving you" or something like that, and DYLAN! Who is supposedly still with that twat, says Me too, or So am I. Not quoting, because I can't recall his exact words. But it had me seeing RED. Oh REALLYYYYY? Then what the HELL are you doing with Kelly, if you've STILL got feelings for Brenda?????!!!!

• Love 6

Yeah Dylan was always wishy washy with his feelings , but I think he still loved Brenda even when he was with Kelly , especially once the beginning exciting sex with Kelly wore off . He always dropped everything for Brenda and seemed to enjoy spending time with her way more than Kelly .. until Brenda left the show and he made a comment when he was drunk that everyone felt so high school to him and like a million years ago except for Brandon and Kelly .. it was so obviously retconned that Kelly was the love of his life and Brenda was just a distant memory just because she was no longer on the show . I stand by the fact that had Brenda been there till the end along with Kelly , Dylan would have ended up with Brenda. Dylan and Kelly always mentioned the soulmates thing but their actions never showed that there was anything between them but sex .  

• Love 10
36 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Yeah Dylan was always wishy washy with his feelings , but I think he still loved Brenda even when he was with Kelly , especially once the beginning exciting sex with Kelly wore off . He always dropped everything for Brenda and seemed to enjoy spending time with her way more than Kelly .. until Brenda left the show and he made a comment when he was drunk that everyone felt so high school to him and like a million years ago except for Brandon and Kelly .. it was so obviously retconned that Kelly was the love of his life and Brenda was just a distant memory just because she was no longer on the show . I stand by the fact that had Brenda been there till the end along with Kelly , Dylan would have ended up with Brenda. Dylan and Kelly always mentioned the soulmates thing but their actions never showed that there was anything between them but sex .  

Agree! And not only that, but everyone had to hide from Kelly that Dylan and Brenda were living together when both were off the show, as if Kelly was his wife.🙄🙄🙄 and Kelly was such a delicate ❄️.

And their (Dylan and Kelly) twu wuv didn't last beyond one year.

Oh and then after watching ”Slumber Party” where Kelly promised Brenda that she would ”NEVER” try to steal Dylan from her, she went ahead and did just that. Not that Dylan is blameless, but I loathe Kelly so much.

BRENDA was his soul mate. And NO ONE will convince me otherwise.

• Love 5

I’ll usually watch this show through a whole cycle and then take a break for a while, and then eventually I end up back to it. Of course this time it’s because of Luke’s passing and Pop starting from the beginning again. But one thing I always notice when I return to season 1 is how much I missed Shannen/Brenda and the Walsh family dynamic. I’m just always so happy to see them all again. There were still some good things about the show in later years but it really did lose its heart once the Walsh family left, starting with Brenda’s departure. But it’s true, Brandon and Brenda weren’t quite the same in season 4 as they were early on. Maybe it was because of tension on the set. I’m curious if Shannen had stayed if they would’ve eventually worked through their stuff and been able to recapture that. 

• Love 6
On 4/9/2014 at 4:17 AM, Rachael said:

I've just finished watching seasons 1-3 of the awful, awful reboot (don't ask me why) and it really made me appreciate how great the high school years were on the original 90210. They did a great job of bringing all of the characters together and making them into a believable group of friends, something that they failed at miserably on the reboot. I think that's why the famous Brenda/Dylan/Kelly storyline worked so well, it was because we were so invested in each of the characters and their relationships with one another, you got the sense that things would never be the same again - which they weren't. I think that's why looking back I'm really glad Brenda was alienated from the group, yes it was a shitty way for them to treat her but sadly it was very realistic because in these situations people don't go back to being best friends afterwards and someone is usually ousted from the group. All of those final senior year moments were made all the more bittersweet by how things had changed from the year before. When it came to things like Prom and Graduation in the reboot I didn't care because I had no emotional investment in the characters but in the original they packed one hell of a punch. I don't think any other show has managed to do their high school years as well as Beverly Hills 90210 - a complete joy to watch!

I liked the first 3 seasons of reboot. Then it went to shit. The characters were a lot edgier imo. They ruined a lot of the characters. I didn't think it was supposed to be the same as the original, just have the same zip code.  

• Love 1

I think what made the original 90210 so good in the high school years was the lack of cell phones/social media. Shows in the 90s were better in my opinion because it had a certain innocence that we'll never see again. On modern shows (and in real life), the character connection is different because of the technology and over the top story lines. I liked how two people can have a scene together without one person's phone ringing and saying "I have to go." I know it's small, but I notice these things lol. 

• Love 3

They’ve been showing the first summer episodes on Pop this week and I just love watching them again. They were so smart to make new episodes during the summer, and set them at the beach club. Such a fun vibe. Of course within his first few days working Brandon managed to yell at a rich club member and let his friends in after hours to play poker, yet still not get fired. Lol. Speaking of the poker scene, I love when they dress up in the old fashioned outfits. Donna and Brenda look great, especially Brenda’s flawless makeup. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I think what made the original 90210 so good in the high school years was the lack of cell phones/social media. Shows in the 90s were better in my opinion because it had a certain innocence that we'll never see again. On modern shows (and in real life), the character connection is different because of the technology and over the top story lines. I liked how two people can have a scene together without one person's phone ringing and saying "I have to go." I know it's small, but I notice these things lol. 

I'm always telling my son that most of the movie/tv plot lines revolved around not having a cell phone (trying to meet with someone, missing someone at a waiting spot, trying to find where to exchange an egg).  I wonder how Kelly's rep would have been if she was a modern teen.  Would the summer of deception have even happened? Dylan and Brenda would have been face timing all the time.  Would a friend have texted pics of Kelly and Dylan canoodling?

Would Val had been able to find real friends online? Maybe through the PPAD Instagram?

• Love 3

Just saw “East Side Story” and aside from Brandon’s arrogant know it all attitude, and Ahhhndea’s nosiness into something that was none of her business, which had me 😒😒😒, I’d forgotten this piece of nonsense: 

AMAZING how in 3 months time, Anna, who couldn’t speak a word of English, was able to speak it FLAWLESSLY In this episode.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

They just showed the episode where the black family moves in (with Vivica A. Fox.) This had to be the most egregious example of “and we never saw them again” that the show had. Vivica’s brother was even chosen to be the staff photographer for the Blaze and yet we still NEVER SAW HIM AGAIN. With zero explanation. I get they didn’t want to hire the whole family to be regulars but why not hire the kid to pop up sporadically throughout the school year in the newspaper room, just for a wee bit of continuity?  So weird. 

• Love 5

I am still trying to understand, STILL, many years later, why Brenda felt she had to break up with Dylan. Because he would break up with her if she said she didn't want to have sex anymore? Or that she couldn't handle it? The whole thing was just...I don't know if it was a retcon, but it was ham-fistedly done. Because in "Isn't it Romantic?" we had the guest speaker who had AIDS, who told everyone, to use a condom AND a foam. That Dylan got tested. I assume, that they used a condom and a foam when they started having sex.

I didn't get the impression that Dylan was saying he didn't want to "suit up" anymore and that Brenda should get the Pill, as if that would be the only birth control they would use.

Brenda DECIDED she needed/wanted a boyfriend; she DECIDED Dylan might be the one. Hell, she dyed her hair blonde because Dylan said he liked blondes. So, she gets him; and then a few months later, after the fights, moments, and the pregnancy scare, she comes to the realization she's not ready for a sexual relationship. That, I can understand. But, TV, I guess? I mean, I was raised strictly--not allowed to date, blah, blah. BUT I saw friends who were like Brenda, that once they got the guy, after awhile, and drama, and taking him for granted, they were so over it, and act like it just wasn't worth it. I guess I'll never understand. He BROKE my heart when he opened up to Brenda and told her that without her, he was nothing. That she opened up something inside of him, and she's just cutting him out.

And now I we get the summer with Brenda and Aaaahndraya fighting over their drama teacher. Blech.

I'm trying to remember, when do Brenda and Dylan get back together? After what'sherface shows up---Psycho played by Christine Elise. All I remember is Dylan hurting himself while surfing; staying with the Walshes while he recovers, then he goes to Hawaii to spend time with Mummy.

And I suppose I shouldn't nitpick, but Show picked a weird time to state that Donna had a learning disability. I mean, she had been taking tests up until the SATs. NO ONE picked up on her failing abysmally? They just suddenly noticed after? And Donna just figured out she was "stupid" because of her low score?

But I did so thoroughly enjoy "Lavoirne" while Brandon was off..."acting!"

And I'm irked that in "It's Only a Test" that POP cut out the last line where Brandon told Brenda: "Don't EVER Scare me like that again!" or was it "Don't EVER do that again!" at the end. I really really love the closeness of the twins during the first two seasons.

• Love 1

All teen shows have couples together for almost a season and then the writers need to find a reason to break them up before the next season starts, so they find the dumbest reasons to do it. Nothing was worse than the first reason for Dawson and Joey's break up on the creek. Joey literally spent an entire season crying and sad that Dawson wanted someone else, and then he finally wanted to be with her and they got together for one episode, and she dumped him because she "needed to figure out who she was outside of Dawson". Ridiculous lol

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I am still trying to understand, STILL, many years later, why Brenda felt she had to break up with Dylan. Because he would break up with her if she said she didn't want to have sex anymore? Or that she couldn't handle it? The whole thing was just...I don't know if it was a retcon, but it was ham-fistedly done. Because in "Isn't it Romantic?" we had the guest speaker who had AIDS, who told everyone, to use a condom AND a foam. That Dylan got tested. I assume, that they used a condom and a foam when they started having sex.

I didn't get the impression that Dylan was saying he didn't want to "suit up" anymore and that Brenda should get the Pill, as if that would be the only birth control they would use.

Brenda DECIDED she needed/wanted a boyfriend; she DECIDED Dylan might be the one. Hell, she dyed her hair blonde because Dylan said he liked blondes. So, she gets him; and then a few months later, after the fights, moments, and the pregnancy scare, she comes to the realization she's not ready for a sexual relationship. That, I can understand. But, TV, I guess? I mean, I was raised strictly--not allowed to date, blah, blah. BUT I saw friends who were like Brenda, that once they got the guy, after awhile, and drama, and taking him for granted, they were so over it, and act like it just wasn't worth it. I guess I'll never understand. He BROKE my heart when he opened up to Brenda and told her that without her, he was nothing. That she opened up something inside of him, and she's just cutting him out.

And now I we get the summer with Brenda and Aaaahndraya fighting over their drama teacher. Blech.

I'm trying to remember, when do Brenda and Dylan get back together? After what'sherface shows up---Psycho played by Christine Elise. All I remember is Dylan hurting himself while surfing; staying with the Walshes while he recovers, then he goes to Hawaii to spend time with Mummy.

And I suppose I shouldn't nitpick, but Show picked a weird time to state that Donna had a learning disability. I mean, she had been taking tests up until the SATs. NO ONE picked up on her failing abysmally? They just suddenly noticed after? And Donna just figured out she was "stupid" because of her low score?

But I did so thoroughly enjoy "Lavoirne" while Brandon was off..."acting!"

And I'm irked that in "It's Only a Test" that POP cut out the last line where Brandon told Brenda: "Don't EVER Scare me like that again!" or was it "Don't EVER do that again!" at the end. I really really love the closeness of the twins during the first two seasons.

They had Brenda and Dylan break up because of angry letters that parents wrote to FOX after the Spring Dance episode, because a teen girl had sex and enjoyed it and didn't face any consequences!!  They get back together in the back to school episode in season 2 with Emily Valentine.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, meggonzo said:

They had Brenda and Dylan break up because of angry letters that parents wrote to FOX after the Spring Dance episode, because a teen girl had sex and enjoyed it and didn't face any consequences!!  They get back together in the back to school episode in season 2 with Emily Valentine.

Thanks! Emily! That's her name! Yeah, I do recall them getting back together after Dylan went out with her once, and the green monster reared its ugly head.

On 3/21/2019 at 4:20 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

You know what? I like this too but I'm also conflicted about it. I was born in the (very) early 90's and now when I watch shows from back then (even BH90210), I find myself cringing to no end. It makes me feel like I'm too old to be visiting those shows. 

UGH. "Wildfire" was NOT a good look for Brenda. And I mean her whole hypocritical, bitchy, jumping to conclusions attitude toward Emily. Emily, who I will admit, I liked when she first appeared. Before she turned all bunny boiler psycho on Brandon.

Even when I was in high school, there were medical reasons for why girls were on the Pill. For me it was to regulate my cycle; not because I was a slut who was going around with a different guy each day. And so what if Emily was dating Dylan one night, and then Brandon, the next? It's called DATING.

And how did I not see what a judgmental PRICK Brandon was from almost day one? Making assumptions about Sandy; and then BELIEVING that Dylan, who was supposed to be his good/best friend, would steal and pawn stuff? His DEMANDS for explanations so that he wouldn't Judge? STFU, Brando. 

Or how WHINYYYYYYYY Aaahndraya sounds when she speaks. She's taking a drama class, but clearly has no IDEA what that entails. She's writing down NOTES, as if it's a Math, History, or English class, where she'll be tested.

And while Brenda didn't have dibs on Chris Suter, the TEACHER, Brenda did tell Aaahndraya she was interested, and the whiner didn't say squat. But oh, wait! The jerkwad indicated he wanted to mess around with Aaahndraya, so Brenda got jealous.

Again, Dylan just broke my heart in the episodes before he left for Hawaii and in the summer finale.

3 hours ago, meggonzo said:

I think Brenda's reaction to Emily accurately captured how a teenager would react!

Maybe. But Brenda didn't react to Emily with the mean, Jealousy spitefulness until she learned that Emily had gone out with Dylan. Before that, she was friendly, and even invited her to her home for a barbeque.

Was Emily supposed to be a bombshell for the 90s? I mean she wasn’t ugly by any means , but #1- that hair was terrible and #2-I just don’t see 2 hot guys fighting for her attention . But I guess she was new so ok. It also annoyed me how Brandon randomly decided out of absolutely nowhere that Emily was the one who got away and he felt the need to chase her down in San Fran ( when they were randomly on the same trolley lol ).. the last time we saw Emily before that , Brandon was repulsed by her and scared for his life . 

• Love 2
Just now, Jaclyn88 said:

Was Emily supposed to be a bombshell for the 90s? I mean she wasn’t ugly by any means , but #1- that hair was terrible and #2-I just don’t see 2 hot guys fighting for her attention . 

IA and I feel there was a lot of average mistaken for irresistibility going on at WBHHS.

Andrea was actually the prettiest one there (that we saw), imo.

1 hour ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Was Emily supposed to be a bombshell for the 90s?

She was supposed to be a cool alternative chick. I think they liked her because she was new and different than the girls they were used to.

I’m so glad I caught the season 2 Halloween ep on Pop today. Although I can’t stand the endless shots of Donna fidgeting in her mermaid costume, Dylan and Brenda as Bonnie and Clyde are perfection. Dylan was the best version of himself; being cute and charming with Brenda, and comforting Kelly after her assault. Luke was totally dreamy in that costume. 

I liked Brandon and Emily in their plotline too. They were cute together and Brandon didn’t bray at anyone. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Was Emily supposed to be a bombshell for the 90s? I mean she wasn’t ugly by any means , but #1- that hair was terrible and #2-I just don’t see 2 hot guys fighting for her attention . But I guess she was new so ok. It also annoyed me how Brandon randomly decided out of absolutely nowhere that Emily was the one who got away and he felt the need to chase her down in San Fran ( when they were randomly on the same trolley lol ).. the last time we saw Emily before that , Brandon was repulsed by her and scared for his life . 

Were they trying to make her into this show’s version of Mary Stuart Masterson’s Watts from Some Kind of Wonderful?

And when Christine came back, that HAIR!!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
10 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Were they trying to make her into this show’s version of Mary Stuart Masterson’s Watts from Some Kind of Wonderful?

And when Christine came back, that HAIR!!!

That hair when she came back to the show was just .. hard to put into words . 

• LOL 2

Brenda was definitely an asshole in Wildfire, but I've never understood why Emily didn't realize what the deal was earlier. They're in the Walsh kitchen and I think Cindy answers the phone and says that it's Dylan, and Brenda thinks that he's calling for her, then sits back down looking kind of disappointed when it turns out that it's not. Emily remarks about how she met a Dylan that day and describes him, etc, and Brenda's whole face and attitude goes tight. Emily has to be a moron not to realize at that point that Brenda and Dylan had something going on. Which doesn't justify Brenda's behavior, especially since she and Dylan were broken up, but Emily also should probably have expected that this was going to piss off one of her brand new friends.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Maybe. But Brenda didn't react to Emily with the mean, Jealousy spitefulness until she learned that Emily had gone out with Dylan. Before that, she was friendly, and even invited her to her home for a barbeque.

Yes, I am referring to her reaction to Emily going on a date with Dylan.  I'm not sure how else that would be interpreted.

1 hour ago, meggonzo said:

Yes, I am referring to her reaction to Emily going on a date with Dylan.  I'm not sure how else that would be interpreted.

Sorry. I thought in your original post you meant that thinking a girl who was on the Pill could understandably be thought of as a slut.

On the one hand, I'm so glad that Brandon and Aaahndraya never got together romantically on the show, because I couldn't stand her whiny, possessive attitude toward Brandon whenever he had a new girlfriend, or was interested in someone. On the other, it was obvious Brandon had feelings for her, but never pursued it, because...friendship? Please. You have Brandon hitting on her, trying to steal a kiss when he's drunk and high ("U4EA"), but sticks to friendship for...reasons. And then there was Herself, offering to have sex with him as a good-bye present when everyone thought he and Brenda were moving back to Minneapolis.

Then there's her attitude, which I mentioned above. I swear, she kept acting as if she were the jilted girlfriend, when Brandon was all kissy face and giggling with Emily in the room where they put out The Blaze. And she's all "It still hurts" or "I need time" and please don't "shove" Emily in my face. Like, Brandon, at first, wanted to pursue a relationship when it turned out they were staying after all, and she nixed it? So it's on HER, that she's not dating him. But the point is, Brandon WASN'T her boyfriend!

And boy, did Emily go stalker/psycho REAL fast. She was nearly unrecognizable in "Desperate Valentine" as she stalked Brandon and destroyed the Float. 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

On the one hand, I'm so glad that Brandon and Aaahndraya never got together romantically on the show, because I couldn't stand her whiny, possessive attitude toward Brandon whenever he had a new girlfriend, or was interested in someone. On the other, it was obvious Brandon had feelings for her, but never pursued it, because...friendship? Please. You have Brandon hitting on her, trying to steal a kiss when he's drunk and high ("U4EA"), but sticks to friendship for...reasons. And then there was Herself, offering to have sex with him as a good-bye present when everyone thought he and Brenda were moving back to Minneapolis.

Then there's her attitude, which I mentioned above. I swear, she kept acting as if she were the jilted girlfriend, when Brandon was all kissy face and giggling with Emily in the room where they put out The Blaze. And she's all "It still hurts" or "I need time" and please don't "shove" Emily in my face. Like, Brandon, at first, wanted to pursue a relationship when it turned out they were staying after all, and she nixed it? So it's on HER, that she's not dating him. But the point is, Brandon WASN'T her boyfriend!

And boy, did Emily go stalker/psycho REAL fast. She was nearly unrecognizable in "Desperate Valentine" as she stalked Brandon and destroyed the Float. 

Granted they were teens so they were both immature but I’m more in Andrea’s side here. It’s clear Brandon knew that Andrea liked him, and HE liked having a woman around to give him attention and fulfill his emotional needs in between girlfriends. Andrea was always upfront about her feelings and Brandon did have a habit of leading her on ONLY WHEN another guy was into her. 

I think Brandon is like a lot of young men who like having a girl in their lives “on the back burner” but don’t want to actually date her for whatever reason. I think Brandon and Andrea grew to be actual friends in later years but this was very much their dynamic in HS. 

This dynamic is also why I am NOT friends with men I’m sexually attracted to- it messes up the power dynamic in the friendship. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Granted they were teens so they were both immature but I’m more in Andrea’s side here. It’s clear Brandon knew that Andrea liked him, and HE liked having a woman around to give him attention and fulfill his emotional needs in between girlfriends. Andrea was always upfront about her feelings and Brandon did have a habit of leading her on ONLY WHEN another guy was into her. 

I think Brandon is like a lot of young men who like having a girl in their lives “on the back burner” but don’t want to actually date her for whatever reason. I think Brandon and Andrea grew to be actual friends in later years but this was very much their dynamic in HS. 

This dynamic is also why I am NOT friends with men I’m sexually attracted to- it messes up the power dynamic in the friendship. 

Not me. Because I HAVE been in Aahndraya's position, but never acted as if the guy I liked was my boyfriend and getting all jealous and acting like he was cheating on me when he had a girlfriend.

And Brandon did want to pursue it after it turned out they weren't leaving. But Aahndraya said no. SHE was the one who didn't want to risk the friendship, so he accepted it. Unless she wanted him to keep arguing to just try, blah, blah, blah. You know, expected him to read her mind. Once she made up her mind, she should have tried not to act like the jealous ex-girlfriend.

And I didn't get the sense that he was the type to want to keep someone on the back burner, as I've seen lots of other shows where guys/teens did do and act like that.

Brenda DECIDED she needed/wanted a boyfriend; she DECIDED Dylan might be the one. Hell, she dyed her hair blonde because Dylan said he liked blondes. So, she gets him; and then a few months later, after the fights, moments, and the pregnancy scare, she comes to the realization she's not ready for a sexual relationship. That, I can understand. But, TV, I guess? I mean, I was raised strictly--not allowed to date, blah, blah. BUT I saw friends who were like Brenda, that once they got the guy, after awhile, and drama, and taking him for granted, they were so over it, and act like it just wasn't worth it. I guess I'll never understand. He BROKE my heart when he opened up to Brenda and told her that without her, he was nothing. That she opened up something inside of him, and she's just cutting him out.

I know that the entire breakup came as a result of pissed off parents because Brenda dared to have sex and not regret it.  The pregnancy and the breakup were all her "punishment" for showing such a thing on tv.

However...and I now say this in the "me too" movement...but I'm kind of glad that Brenda was able to break off that relationship.  It got intense and volatile, quickly.  She loved him so much that she felt that she had lost herself.  She no longer felt comfortable and THAT'S OKAY. 

I have a daughter.  When she grows up, if she is ever in a relationship, a sexual relationship, that suddenly she's not okay with anymore, I want her to be able to speak up and say "I'm not ready" and have that be perfectly fine.  EVEN IF the guy doesn't want to break up, EVEN IF she pursued him, EVEN IF he tells her that without her he's nothing (that's should never be a burden put on anybody - and when a girl says that to a guy who was breaking up?  Every guy would be saying "run as fast as you can! how desperate!" but Dylan says it and it is heartbreaking, and romantic, and Brenda is cruel.).  In other words - a girl is allowed to change her mind based on how SHE feels.  

Brenda wasn't over it.  On the contrary, she was way too far in it.  

So, while I'm pissed at WHY they broke them up, knowing what happened behind the scenes, in reality, I'm kind of glad they did and kudos for Brenda for saying, I need to get back to me for a while.  

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, BrindaWalsh said:

I know that the entire breakup came as a result of pissed off parents because Brenda dared to have sex and not regret it.  The pregnancy and the breakup were all her "punishment" for showing such a thing on tv.

However...and I now say this in the "me too" movement...but I'm kind of glad that Brenda was able to break off that relationship.  It got intense and volatile, quickly.  She loved him so much that she felt that she had lost herself.  She no longer felt comfortable and THAT'S OKAY. 

I have a daughter.  When she grows up, if she is ever in a relationship, a sexual relationship, that suddenly she's not okay with anymore, I want her to be able to speak up and say "I'm not ready" and have that be perfectly fine.  EVEN IF the guy doesn't want to break up, EVEN IF she pursued him, EVEN IF he tells her that without her he's nothing (that's should never be a burden put on anybody - and when a girl says that to a guy who was breaking up?  Every guy would be saying "run as fast as you can! how desperate!" but Dylan says it and it is heartbreaking, and romantic, and Brenda is cruel.).  In other words - a girl is allowed to change her mind based on how SHE feels.  

Brenda wasn't over it.  On the contrary, she was way too far in it.  

So, while I'm pissed at WHY they broke them up, knowing what happened behind the scenes, in reality, I'm kind of glad they did and kudos for Brenda for saying, I need to get back to me for a while.  

The irony is, when they got back together again, Brenda admitted she was afraid it was because Dylan just wanted sex and that's it. I wish I hadn't deleted the episode from my dvr; but POP has them on Demand, so I'll go watch to see what she said. But I do remember Dylan saying it wasn't just about the sex.

I do remember she said it was the pregnancy scare that felicitated her wanting to break up. Because even as far back as when they first started going out, Brenda told Dylan she needed for them to slow down.

If I go back and watch all the shows that had good drama, or humor. etc. through the lens of #MeToo, I'm going to start nitpicking every goddamn thing. Because worse shit is still happening in real life--in high schools, college, etc. I need my escapism. 

Jeebus Cripes but these parents who demanded the break up were raging hypocrites. Because not a peep when Brandon had sex with his girlfriend in his bedroom with his parents down the hall. And they never showed the audience Dylan and Brenda actually having sex onscreen. The only time they did was after, when she told him she had to break up with him because she was moving to Minneapolis.

The irony is, when they got back together again, Brenda admitted she was afraid it was because Dylan just wanted sex and that's it. I wish I hadn't deleted the episode from my dvr; but POP has them on Demand, so I'll go watch to see what she said. But I do remember Dylan saying it wasn't just about the sex.

In which case, shame on the show.  Because they broke that relationship up through the perspective of a strong but overwhelmed teenage girl.  Which is much more complex.  I'm assuming that conversation happens in the Emily Valentine Episode when they are getting back together, and Brenda asks if they can start over?  Or during the camping trip?  

Forget #MeToo then.  How about the amazing Tammi Taylor sex talk in Friday Night Lights - "You know that if you ever want to stop, you can, right?  If it ever feels uncomfortable for you, you can stop.  And just because you're having sex now doesn't mean if you breakup, that you have to with your next boyfriend."  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BrindaWalsh said:

In which case, shame on the show.  Because they broke that relationship up through the perspective of a strong but overwhelmed teenage girl.  Which is much more complex.  I'm assuming that conversation happens in the Emily Valentine Episode when they are getting back together, and Brenda asks if they can start over?  Or during the camping trip?  

It was when they got back together again in the Emily Valentine Episode, when she turned into a raging asshole with jealousy when she learned Dylan had gone out with Emily.

I never watched Friday Night Lights, but I agree with what was said and you posted.

3 hours ago, BrindaWalsh said:

Forget #MeToo then.  How about the amazing Tammi Taylor sex talk in Friday Night Lights - "You know that if you ever want to stop, you can, right?  If it ever feels uncomfortable for you, you can stop.  And just because you're having sex now doesn't mean if you breakup, that you have to with your next boyfriend."  

Yes shame shame shame on the show. 

I agree with you- the only thing the managed to do well was dispel the notion that once a girl had sex ONCE, then it just didn’t matter any more, because the “prized virginity” is gone. I hate that notion. You still have agency over your own body no matter how many times you have sex or how many people you have sex with. 

I’m watching U4EA on Pop now (nursing a cold) and Brenda’s hair looks so great- unrelated I know.