Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 1-3: High School Years

• Start Topic

I've been watching season 3 and am almost to the end (just watched the prom/drunk Donna episode tonight!) But I am also keeping up with the AWT podcasts and everyone keeps mentioning Brooke, the racist girlfriend. Now, help me out. I've watched those episodes a couple weeks ago and I don't remember any racist comments from her. I'm watching on Hulu, do you think that stuff got filtered out?

Well, while she isn't a spokesperson for the KKK, she does say some things about POC that is definitely on the prejudiced/bigoted side. If you have the time, go back and at least watch her final episode...there is a scene I remember with the gang shucking corn on the beach, and she says some things about Black and Koreans, if I recall correctly. 

Edited by AndySmith

Well, while she isn't a spokesperson for the KKK, she does say some things about POC that is definitely on the prejudiced/bigoted side. If you have the time, go back and at least watch her final episode...there is a scene I remember with the gang shucking corn on the beach, and she says some things about Black and Koreans, if I recall correctly. 

Ah, you know what? I must not have finished that episode because I am playing it again and she's definitely a bigot!

• Love 1

What is POC?

In case anyone wondered what original music played in episodes, I came across this today.

http://www.fanforum.com/f265/90210-music-thread-1-a-62851104/

It was driving me crazy when I watched Parental Guidance Recommended from season 3, there's a couple of scenes where Brenda was moping about Dylan and a song was playing that was clearly not the original song that played when it aired. I just had to know what the real song was (Losing My Religion).

• Love 1
I've watched those episodes a couple weeks ago and I don't remember any racist comments from her.

I believe she makes some comments related to the LA riots (the ones that happened with relation to Rodney King) that don't crown her with glory (I recall Brandon taking some offense and bringing up that Henry's store was burned down), and she makes some comments about how Andrea must be wealthy because she's Jewish. 

• Love 1

In case anyone wondered what original music played in episodes, I came across this today.

http://www.fanforum.com/f265/90210-music-thread-1-a-62851104/

It was driving me crazy when I watched Parental Guidance Recommended from season 3, there's a couple of scenes where Brenda was moping about Dylan and a song was playing that was clearly not the original song that played when it aired. I just had to know what the real song was (Losing My Religion).

I love you.  This makes me really weep for the original espisodes with soundtrack intact.   I always remember the post credit scene with Donna at the Juke Box  "Jeremy Jordan, Alright!" that went into the Jeremy Jordan video.   Good times.

• Love 2

I love you.  This makes me really weep for the original espisodes with soundtrack intact.   I always remember the post credit scene with Donna at the Juke Box  "Jeremy Jordan, Alright!" that went into the Jeremy Jordan video.   Good times.

That song is played on the classic music channels on TV, a lot. The only thing it was missing was the Donna part. 

• Love 1

I realize this may have been said before and we all know she is the oldest but as I watch Andrea at the beach she really looks her age.  I don't if it is the sun, the outfit, as well as her face but you could really tell she is at least 30 here.  I wonder why they cast her and thought they could get away with it.  There had to be some other of age dweeb.

• Love 1
(edited)

Didn't she lie to them about her actual age?  I mean, you're right that she absolutely looks her age, but I don't think they thought they were casting a 29 year old as a teenager; they thought they were casting someone in their early 20s to be on the show.  In rewatching the series, it's actually Luke Perry that looks a lot older than I remembered; every time I see the visual aids I marvel at how I didn't think he was ancient looking on the show during the first go-around.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Didn't she lie to them about her actual age?  I mean, you're right that she absolutely looks her age, but I don't think they thought they were casting a 29 year old as a teenager; they thought they were casting someone in their early 20s to be on the show.  In rewatching the series, it's actually Luke Perry that looks a lot older than I remembered; every time I see the visual aids I marvel at how I didn't think he was ancient looking on the show during the first go-around.

I always thought he was the oldest. He looked about as old as my dad when it originally aired, so I could never buy him as a teenager. I loved Brenda, so I liked him because Brenda liked him but I never accepted him a teenager. I never really noticed how old Andrea looked back then but I can't not see it now as she looks as old or even older than I do now.

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

I realize this may have been said before and we all know she is the oldest but as I watch Andrea at the beach she really looks her age.  I don't if it is the sun, the outfit, as well as her face but you could really tell she is at least 30 here.  I wonder why they cast her and thought they could get away with it.  There had to be some other of age dweeb.

Much older actors can play teens effectively. Wasn't Alison Lohman 30 or 32 when she played a 15 yr old in matchstick men and white oleander. The actress who played lane was 32 when she started as a kid on GG. And Ralph Macchio always portrayed young  characters. It can be done and work

GC/Andrea has always looked so old to me. Even her high school storylines she had deep crows feet and those lines around her mouth. Luke Perry /Dylan had bad forehead wrinkles. It was hard because Andrea was so fusty and square and looked like a dean or something, the looks compounded the issue. It would be a kinda appealing dichotomy if she was mature beyond her years and a stodgy nerd like that, but was babyish looking & cute. Like Claire on Degrassi, Tracy Flick, or Enid in Ghost World. But she isn't, so she reminds me instead of Steve Bushemi's thing on 30 Rock "how do you do...fellow kids?" 

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I have heard her say she lied about her age, but I've never been clear what that meant exactly. Did she lie and say she was younger than 29, or was she really older than 29 and lied because she thought it sounded better to still be in her 20s? In any case, she's just not good in the role. Looks and acts a good 10 years older then anyone else in the cast and has very little ability to play romance or comedy. She's just never got a handle on the roll. I mean, I don't think Ian Ziering looks young, but at least he manages to act young.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, FozzyBear said:

I have heard her say she lied about her age, but I've never been clear what that meant exactly. Did she lie and say she was younger than 29, or was she really older than 29 and lied because she thought it sounded better to still be in her 20s? In any case, she's just not good in the role. Looks and acts a good 10 years older then anyone else in the cast and has very little ability to play romance or comedy. She's just never got a handle on the roll. I mean, I don't think Ian Ziering looks young, but at least he manages to act young.

According to her, it was her lying that she was under 29 - she said that she consulted her lawyer and asked how young she said she could go and still legally sign her contract,  and he said as long as she didn't say under 21, then she was fine. Why 21 would be the cutoff, I have no idea, but she did say she was getting away with it until a tabloid looked up her DMV records and round her real age. Got that from here: https://www.accesshollywood.com/articles/gabrielle-carteris-lied-about-being-29-when-cast-in-beverly-hills-90210-98699/

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

According to her, it was her lying that she was under 29 - she said that she consulted her lawyer and asked how young she said she could go and still legally sign her contract,  and he said as long as she didn't say under 21, then she was fine. Why 21 would be the cutoff, I have no idea, but she did say she was getting away with it until a tabloid looked up her DMV records and round her real age. Got that from here: https://www.accesshollywood.com/articles/gabrielle-carteris-lied-about-being-29-when-cast-in-beverly-hills-90210-98699/

I think what the lawyer meant was that she could say, "I'm over 21" without stating her actual age and still be legally fine because it's not a lie.  It's their problem if they don't actually clarify how far away from 21 she is!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

I think what the lawyer meant was that she could say, "I'm over 21" without stating her actual age and still be legally fine because it's not a lie.  It's their problem if they don't actually clarify how far away from 21 she is!

I'm pretty sure in CA acting jobs would have the same rule as any other job: they can ask if you're over 18 and they can ask if you're over 21 (if it's relevant to the job), but they can't ask your age in the hiring process.

On June 23, 2016 at 2:37 PM, FozzyBear said:

I'm pretty sure in CA acting jobs would have the same rule as any other job: they can ask if you're over 18 and they can ask if you're over 21 (if it's relevant to the job), but they can't ask your age in the hiring process.

Acting roles can discriminate on age/weight/race etc unlike typical private sector jobs (because those factors can be deemed critical to performing the job as required). The casting call probably said "under 30" and she really wanted the job so she lied.  

• Love 2
On 6/21/2016 at 10:09 PM, FozzyBear said:

I politely disagree that GC wasn't good in the role. Early on I think she did a good job of playing the hyper-driven smart girl always ready to fight for her principles.  I love the scene where Brandon asks Andrea if she's going to the dance and she launches into a long diatribe and goes on so long she forgets what Brandon even asked. I thought she was cute in those moments. I liked her confrontations with Gil and Brandon and thought GC conveyed the right level of indignation required. ("What would Whitman say about THAT, Gil?")  Also I thought she was believable as a teen (a frumpy teen, but still...) in season 1, so I can see how she made it through the casting process. Of course as the seasons rolled on her age caught up with her. 

I will concede they didn't always write well for Andrea, especially past high school. And they styled her terribly, ESPECIALLY in freshman year if college. But for what she was given I think GC was fine. Mileage varies, of course. 

• Love 8

I didn't know what topic this belonged in, so if this isn't the right one, I apologize. I've been listening to an Audible book where the narrator has the same problem with short "e" sounds as Shannen/Brinda does. He's already said "inny" (for "any"), "impty," and "frindship." Does Shannen ever say "frind" instead of "friend?" I can't remember, but I wasn't always paying attention. I know she always called Emily "Imily."

• Love 1
On 6/29/2016 at 2:05 PM, desertflower said:

I politely disagree that GC wasn't good in the role. Early on I think she did a good job of playing the hyper-driven smart girl always ready to fight for her principles.  I love the scene where Brandon asks Andrea if she's going to the dance and she launches into a long diatribe and goes on so long she forgets what Brandon even asked. I thought she was cute in those moments. I liked her confrontations with Gil and Brandon and thought GC conveyed the right level of indignation required. ("What would Whitman say about THAT, Gil?")  Also I thought she was believable as a teen (a frumpy teen, but still...) in season 1, so I can see how she made it through the casting process. Of course as the seasons rolled on her age caught up with her. 

I will concede they didn't always write well for Andrea, especially past high school. And they styled her terribly, ESPECIALLY in freshman year if college. But for what she was given I think GC was fine. Mileage varies, of course. 

I liked her too. I thought her territoriality about Brandon was annoying, but realistic and I liked how many layers the writers gave to her friendship with Brandon--that even though she always had a thing for him, she wasn't afraid to call him out or demand the best of him.

There was a cute scene where IIRC she was kind of complaining that she was never "objectified" (she probably used another word) the way the more obviously pretty girls were and Brandon and Steve made these cute remarks about her, something along the lines of a milkshake. 

• Love 7

I thought GC did a pretty good job as OHhhhndrea in high school--her reactions, "speeches," and attitude seemed pretty right on for the character.

However... I agree that the character was not written well after high school. For example, I never really bought her as someone who'd risk her marriage for an affair. It didn't seem natural and just seemed like what it (probably) was... An attempt to pump some "sexy" into her character. 

• Love 2

I love Season 3.  I got the DVD for super cheap and watched some of the epis over the holiday weekend. 

I'm amazed that when Brenda and Kelly had the "brilliant" idea to make Dylan choose that Cindy didn't suggest that maybe it shouldn't be a competition and if Dylan didn't know who he wanted right then, why should either waste their time?  I also was curious as to why Dylan didn't think "screw both these crazy bitches" and go find someone else.

I still hate Kelly with Dylan just as much as I did all those years ago.  The baby voice makes me seriously stabby.  Watching now with hindsight and age, it's clear that Dylan and Kelly were a terrible match; Brenda was much better suited for him.

Jack McKay was really terrible.  Between the 90s hair and horrific electrifying tracksuits.  

Seeing the early seeds of DJ Jazzy Dave are painful.  BAG still looks so young and his voice hasn't completely dropped yet.  Like a music producer would even take a phone call about him, much less listen to a demo tape.  Come on, show.

Seeing Steve and Brandon on that Love at First Sight show was pretty silly.  Would they even be able to be on that show without parental consent?  Neither were 18, I don't think (although seniors in high school.)  Donna was supposedly the first of them to turn 18 and there was an episode where Dylan turned 18 and then of course Kelly turning 18 and passing out on the floor of the Peach Pit.   Because there are no other locations in southern California to have a surprise birthday party/robbery/sexual hook up/place your bets/drug overdose.

I always liked GC as Ohhhhhnnnnn-drea but the show really did her no favors most of the time.  If I didn't know better, I would swear GC was pregnant in their first day of school senior year.  WTH with putting her in big, boxy blazers?  And her makeup was really too harsh - - for her and for a high school Andrea.   I liked the episode where all the girls plus Jackie and Cindy go to the Montecito spa but Andrea was so OTT and high strung . . . just ugh.  It was one thing to make her super ambitious at school but could she never just chill? 

I agree with a poster above that said that Andrea having the affair was completely out of character.  I also thought it was completely out of character for her to immediately sleep with her RA Dan.  I guess GC was pregnant then and they had to speed things up to write the pregnancy in.

• Love 4

The music rights thing really bums me out rewatching on Pop.  When the show aired on SoapNet, all of the original music and scenes were in there.  I am not versed enough to understand why it's not the same on Pop or Hulu.  I think even the DVDs are less choppy than Pop.  Yesterday I watched Parental Guidance Recommended and I knew they cut all of the Losing My Religion references, but they even cut out Brenda's fantasy sequences where she's exactly revenge on Dylan and Kelly.  None of that had music issues. 

• Love 2

Every time a show goes onto a new format (DVD, online, etc.) the music rights have to be renegotiated.  The rights to use these songs for television have been settled a lot time ago.  The studios/owners putting out these shows on DVD are less inclined to spend the money to secure the music right again unless it's a guaranteed money-maker.  Considering the rise of online purchasing, people are less willing to purchase DVDs so I imagine this will become worse as the years go on.

• Love 1

If you have Pop channel, they started back at the beginning today with the pilot. It's always funny to revisit the little details. Brando's mullet, different Walsh house, different Kelly's mom. No Dylan yet. It's funny how many lines the teachers and principal got too, considering in later years it was mostly just Mrs. Teasley and Gil. And Mary Ann, the most popular girl in school.....who we never saw again!

• Love 2

I wonder why they didn't finish out the last 2 seasons .. the first season of the show is so boring . Every episode Brandon has a different girlfriend and it's so after school special 

29 minutes ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

Cousin Bobby is about to reappear on the podcast; the actor shows up as Kelly's drug dealer.

You're kidding?

Cousin Bobby can walk...go quote Warden Norton "Lord, it's a miracle!"

• Love 1

I was blown away when I found out drug dealer and cousin Bobby was the same guy. I read it on the old forum; I never would've known otherwise!

As to why Pop didn't finish out the last seasons....I noticed they were advertising that Dawson's Creek was going to start at the beginning this week and they premiered the ER pilot yesterday as well, so maybe they just wanted to start over with all the shows and have a day of pilots?

• Love 2

Is cousin Bobby the drug dealer that tries to rape Kelly or is it the other one? I may have to watch that episode now. 

Years ago, FX I think used to run these crazy 90210 marathons but it was thematic-- so all the Christmas or Thanksgiving episodes only or the season premier/season endings only.  My brother (who got me hooked on the podcast) and I used to love binge watching it- so crazy watching the hairstyles and crazy pairings if you only see one episode/year.

• Love 1

Something else I noted watching the pilot: Brandon meets Steve at school, who takes him to Mary Ann's party. Brandon does not find out who Kelly is until he sees her at Mary Ann's party. And vice versa; Kelly sees Brenda wave to Brandon and says "who's that?" Donna is standing right there with them. Which clearly contradicts the scene in season 9 when Brandon reminisces about first meeting the gang. He says he tripped and Donna helped him up and introduced him to everyone. How hard would it have been for the writers to go back and watch the damn pilot and get their facts straight? Sheesh. 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

Cousin Bobby is about to reappear on the podcast; the actor shows up as Kelly's drug dealer.

4 hours ago, desertflower said:

I was blown away when I found out drug dealer and cousin Bobby was the same guy. I read it on the old forum; I never would've known otherwise!

I just watched the drug dealer episodes a couple weeks ago and totally did not notice this.  You guys will definitely need to include a side-by-side photo comparison in the visual aids.

• Love 2

So I was watching the Pop episode yesterday and it was the one where the girl shoplifts and hides it at Brenda's house. I noticed in one of the shopping scenes there is another girl with them with just a few lines, and I realized it was Jennifer Blanc, who was in the tv movie "Friends Till the End", where she is the crazy girl who tries to take over Shannen Doherty's life. Ha!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, desertflower said:

So I was watching the Pop episode yesterday and it was the one where the girl shoplifts and hides it at Brenda's house. I noticed in one of the shopping scenes there is another girl with them with just a few lines, and I realized it was Jennifer Blanc, who was in the tv movie "Friends Till the End", where she is the crazy girl who tries to take over Shannen Doherty's life. Ha!

We've talked about this on some thread in the past, but that's one of my fave 90210 Lifetime movies.  It's this, then Death of a Cheerleader, and one where Jennie Garth is a young girl who marries a skeevy guy and murders him later.

• Love 4
(edited)

Oh man Pop is airing the Paris episodes now and I just witnessed "you'll spoil eet" within the context of the episode. My god, had Shannen Dougherty never heard a French accent before? Was it some intern's job on the set to knock a tape player (the 90s) out of her hand if she attempted to practice???

Edited by allicatexp
Spelling
  • Love 4

Was there anyone more annoying than the worldly high school Sophomore, Nikki?  And she couldn't dance either.    What a joke that she is what they brought on the show for Brandon.

Just caught 3 instances where the writers have absolutely no idea when the Walsh twin's birthday is. In Dylan's dream sequence about what it would be like to marry Kelly they end that scene with Kelly being mad about him giving her an emerald...Brenda's birthstone. This would suggest a birthday in late April or May. Then when Iris visits to dissolve Dylan's trust she calls Brenda a "Scorp", suggesting a birthday in late October or November. Then when Brenda tells her family she wants to go to school in Minnesota, Jim has a line about the twins turning 18 in the summer. These we all in the same season! Dammit writers, get it together!

• Love 5

And you would think twin birthdays would be a big deal!  I always thought it was odd the show never celebrated their birthdays when we celebrated practically everyone else on the show:  Steve at the Spring Dance; Dead Scott; Dylan, Donna, and Kelly during senior year; and David's was much later, during senior year or after college.  

• Love 2

Lucky Donna, her birthday was the only one that wasn't ever-changing (that I can remember). Kelly's was at the end of the season during her eating disorder days, (when she passed out in the Peach Pit bathroom), then, it bumped to August/September to celebrate the tamest 21st birthday in history. I can't remember any other glaringly obvious jumps, but I remember Donna's was consistent.

• Love 2