Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: A View With A Room

Warning: Elementary airs on Wednesdays in Canada so prepare to be spoiled if you read this thread between Wednesday night and Thursday night!

Captain Gregson's colleague from Narcotics asks Holmes to orchestrate the perfect heist inside the heavily armed and virtually impenetrable compound of a drug-dealing biker gang. Also, when Watson assists Fiona Helbron, who helped her on a recent case, she makes a surprising discovery about Holmes
  • Love 1

The Canadian station hasn't aired Elementary on Wednesday for the past three episodes. I wonder if they are done with that.   I wish they would quit messing with us.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

The Canadian station hasn't aired Elementary on Wednesday for the past three episodes. I wonder if they are done with that.   I wish they would quit messing with us.

They originally said they would be airing Elementary on Wednesdays until March, but I guess they changed their minds? Thanks for letting us know!

• Love 1

Joan teasing Sherlock was perfect. She was happy for him but reveled in making him uncomfortable. It was always going be someone "neurologically atypical" to pique his interest. Their courtship was adorably awkward. Hopefully Moriarity doesn't kill her.

As to the central mystery, anyone who saw Ocean's 11 knew what happened.

• Like 1
  • Love 12

I loved JLM's facial expressions in reaction to Fiona's escalating revelations of her attraction to him. So atypically cute.

Of course, I also loved Joan's red and white blouse.

Both subtly appropriate for a Valentine's Day-ish episode.

I was cutting my hair in the next room throughout the episode (I'm slow) and so, even though I had the TV positioned to watch from the bathroom, I mostly just listened. And yet I could tell from the words about and by the conspirator/betrayer that she was in on it from the beginning. I bet if I'd been really watching i would have been successfully distracted from that reveal.

• Love 2

The Canadian station hasn't aired Elementary on Wednesday for the past three episodes. I wonder if they are done with that. I wish they would quit messing with us.

I have been watching on the Canadian Network's app (Global) on Thursday mornings as per usual. So they are uploading their content as thought it aired on Wednesday. I checked with my mom (weirdly this is the only scripted show we both happen to watch) and she has been DVRing it on Wed as well. Maybe this is an east coast versus west coast problem?

• Love 2

Very cute episode. Is there a 'Fiona' counterpart in the Sherlock universe? Usually, the characters parallel someone from the ACD stories, but I don't know them well enough to know if Fiona is in there.

The mystery twist was pretty predictable. They didn't go into the killer's motivations (besides greed? I guess?) Still, an enjoyable episode. Loved Joan teasing Sherlock.

To be honest though, I don't see Fiona and Sherlock as much of a couple. If Fiona is in the ACD stories, maybe it will give some indication of where they are going with this story line. 

Edited by mandigirl

I don't think there is a counterpart to Fiona in the ACD stories which I'm kind of glad for because that means Elementary can do whatever they want with her.

I also loved Joan's very sibling-esque teasing of Sherlock and God bless the man but he was so flustered he didn't know what to do--"Irene"'s betrayal struck him deep and he still has to resolve his feelings for Moriarty and what he felt for "Irene."  He genuinely likes Fiona but he's also afraid to hurt her and that speaks volumes to how far he's come in his emotional awareness.  And Joan is thrilled for him because he needs to have other people in his life besides the chicks he picks up.

Now onto the case--I do wonder how the undercover cop and the computer person were actually able to interact as much as they did to plan this elaborate fake room set up.  I thought he could barely get way from the biker gang's stronghold--it was described as a virtual prison but he could just come and go?

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 6

Now onto the case--I do wonder how the undercover cop and the computer person were actually able to interact as much as they did to plan this elaborate fake room set up.  I thought he could barely get way from the biker gang's stronghold--it was described as a virtual prison but he could just come and go?

I don't think the undercover guy was actually a member of the gang, but accepted as a fellow biker-dealer. He just had to be super cautious that they were never seen together.

I love this blossoming romance. While in some ways it must be difficult to date someone on the spectrum, in other ways it may be refreshingly clear. Fiona is so absolutely direct in what she is thinking and doing.

• Love 1

He infiltrated by being a buyer - first modest amounts and then larger.  He was given access to the stronghold, but wasn't part of the gang.

I barely paid attention to the case since I was so consumed with Sherlock's crush.

ETA: Or what NYCFree said.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

"Sherlock's Got A Girrrlllfriend! Sherlock's Got A Girrrlllfriend!"

I wish that read "Elementary's Got A Girrrlllfriend! Elementary's Got A Girrrlllfriend!", since Sherlock is that show with the cast that's so amazing they don't have time to make the show anymore.

• Love 2

Sherlock is going to be filming season four in a few months so they will be back and it was never - as no UK series are - ever going to be series with so many episodes in a season like here in the states.  That allows all the actors involved to do a lot of other work they want to do but, thankfully, choose to keep returning to Sherlock even after 6 years.  And, each episode of Sherlock takes a full month to film - far more than any episodes of any TV series here - 

This was the sweetest episode of this show I've ever seen - I do wish AQ had a bigger role in this, I wonder why - whether it is his choice or the producers choice.  

Essen, no!  I get leaving Gotham was tough, but did you have to resort to stealing money and killing (admittedly crooked) cops?  That makes the second former Gotham cast member this season who ends up being the killer (David Zayas in the premiere.)

Anyway, the case pretty much took a backseat to Sherlock's hilarious crush on Fiona.  Loved Joan teasing him about it and his reaction to all that (in particular, is childish "So?!", that really made him come off like a lovesick tween.)  Hopefully, the show will take this in a somewhat interesting direction, which can be hard to do these days.  But I'm already liking Fiona, and I think she can be good for him.  Plus, I'd like to see her interact with the rest of the characters other then him or Joan, like Gregson, Bell, and more (Alfredo.)  Although, if they ever get to the meet the parents stage, I'm not sure Morland would be the most easy-going parent to have dinner with.  And, of course, I certainly hope Moriarty doesn't find out about this.

• Love 2

I have...a lot of feelings about this episode. It's going to take me a while to sort through them, I think. I ended an involvement with a guy on the spectrum relatively recently, so this is a lot of unexpected dirt this show is rooting around in for me. Right now my brain is torn between "y u do dis, show", curiosity as to what is next, and thinking that the ex would be irritated by the whole business, as he used to complain that whenever the media wanted to put a softer, friendly face on people on the spectrum, they tended to trot out women. 

Anywho.

Those feelings aside, JLM is killing it, as always. People who do "I like you but I am SCARED TO DEATH" in a surprisingly open way always get extra points with me. He's not overdramatic about it, just very subtly happy and also freaked right the hell out. That part, I do like. He just does such a good job with this character.

The idea of a replica office did cross my mind, but I dismissed it as being just too weird. Apparently not. 

I accidentally laughed out loud in my office when the detective made reference to trying to put together a jigsaw puzzle with only half the pieces and Sherlock immediately noted that it was a very useful exercise, because of course he would do that. 

• Love 4

...he used to complain that whenever the media wanted to put a softer, friendly face on people on the spectrum, they tended to trot out women. 

I can understand that POV, truly.  But since a terrifying number of people don't know or believe that women, non-white men, or even adults can be autistic, I appreciate the nod to diversity here.  And one of the writers on this show (Robert Hewitt Wolfe), was part of creating one of the most well written/well acted male autistic characters I've seen in Gary Bell from Alphas.   I'm definitely interested to see where they go with Fiona's character, and Sherlock's relationship with her.  And I agree, I'm dying to see her interact more with others!

• Love 7

I have been watching on the Canadian Network's app (Global) on Thursday mornings as per usual. So they are uploading their content as thought it aired on Wednesday. I checked with my mom (weirdly this is the only scripted show we both happen to watch) and she has been DVRing it on Wed as well. Maybe this is an east coast versus west coast problem?

I have satellite so I can get shows from Nfld to the west coast but I don't see it anywhere anymore on Wednesday - I keep checking so I don't miss it.  Global in Toronto is showing it on Thursdays at 8 pm Eastern time.  This is the only time slot it is on that I can find.

Edited by Trey

I actually was dismayed as hell by Fiona. If she's going to describe her every action as a textbook that will get very old. It's like those novels that tell you what everything means so you're reading about a story instead of being in one.

• Love 1

Is anyone else disappointed we didn't get a heist? I was so excited that we would see some amazing action, and we got this instead.

I don't mind the love story with Fiona, but I feel like I was misled.

Edited by Eliza422

Is anyone else disappointed we didn't get a heist? I was so excited that we would see some amazing action, and we got this instead.

I liked the Fiona stuff, but yes! I was hoping to see the heist go down. And I wanted to see what else Sherlock would do to prepare (especially if it meant torturing Joan some more, LOL).

I liked that he messed with her by changing her entire room to look like he'd moved her to the media room. Heh.

• Love 1

Me too! I wanted a wacky caper led by Sherlock so badly. When a heist was first mentioned I started to grin like a fool but then got my hopes dashed. Do like Fiona a lot and loved the Sherlock & Joan's scene. She was smiling so large and Sherlock looked almost panicked.

• Love 1

I can understand that POV, truly.  But since a terrifying number of people don't know or believe that women, non-white men, or even adults can be autistic, I appreciate the nod to diversity here.  

Oh, I do too. It was just also very difficult to see his frustration. I mean, one of the most recent and glaring infractions is Max Braverman, prepubescent stalker extraordinaire, who managed to somehow be both over- and underparented simultaneously. I think it's safe to say that representation is just not great all-around, diversity or no. 

• Love 4

Oh, I do too. It was just also very difficult to see his frustration. I mean, one of the most recent and glaring infractions is Max Braverman, prepubescent stalker extraordinaire, who managed to somehow be both over- and underparented simultaneously. I think it's safe to say that representation is just not great all-around, diversity or no. 

Heh, your description is making me happy I never had any interest in Parenthood.  And yeah, every show I've ever seen that had what I considered good representation was either cancelled right away (like Allegiance), or they couldn't bring themselves to canonically label the character as autistic.  It's infuriating.  

Max Braverman, prepubescent stalker extraordinaire, who managed to somehow be both over- and underparented simultaneously.

Putting up a portrayal of the autistic spectrum is tough - it really is such a wide range of behaviors and the degree which a person can be effected can be from mild to profound.  My son is high functioning autistic so I've been very interested in seeing how it is represented; but Max on Parenthood was pretty awful.

And I misread this at first so I thought it said over- and underpanted. Which amused me greatly.

• Love 2

Putting up a portrayal of the autistic spectrum is tough - it really is such a wide range of behaviors and the degree which a person can be effected can be from mild to profound.  

I think that's true, particularly for writers with little or no personal experience of the broader autistic community, because they try to encompass too much in one character and they end up focusing on the autism before the character.  But that's also true of any character... everyone should be an individual first, each with their own unique traits.  I think that's why I am enjoying Fiona so much, she's coming across to me as a character who happens to be autistic, rather than a collection of autistic stereotypes.  

• Love 5

I love Fiona. I think Sherlock is attracted to her unvarnished honesty. She's brilliant but incapable of playing mind games, and as much as I think Sherlock enjoys sparring with people on an emotional/intellectual minefield he also recognizes that it's unhealthy for him. It's probably very restful for him to have an intelligent, attractive woman just say, "Sure, kissing would be great. But not now. Now is the time for caffeine."

I thought the case was really interesting this week. Normally I don't care too much about the details of the COTW, but I got sucked in enough to figure a couple things out ahead of Holmes and Watson--first, that the "shooter" was the victim, and second, that the computer forensics woman was involved somehow. I didn't peg her as the shooter or anything like that, but her mentioning that the $5 million was gone and untraceable tripped my lie detector.

I liked that he messed with her by changing her entire room to look like he'd moved her to the media room. Heh.

Joan must be the soundest sleeper in all the northeast United States if all that fussing about did not wake her.

• Love 9

I was on a vacation with my father and step mother when I was about 10.  It was a budget motel and the room next to us was raided by the police during the night.  There were lights, sirens, and cops over loudspeakers calling for the perps to come out with their hands up.  All the other kids woke up and had to be calmed down, but I slept through the whole thing.

I've also slept through a fire alarm.

But have one of my kids cough or cry in the night?  I was on my feet and running to help.  People are odd creatures.

• Love 4

I bet Sherlock is silent like a cat if he wants to be, too.

The thing about that scene that gets to me the most is that I totally believe Joan and Sherlock have that kind of pranky relationship where he'd do something like stage her room as the crime scene while she's sleeping, rather than just tell her about what happened after she wakes up. Good world-building, show! Because I know they are just looking for ways to make exposition more interesting for the audience, but they've set up characters who make those kinds of tv machinations credible and amusing, instead of annoying to me.

• Love 5

When I was in college once, I crashed out in my dorm room when I was completely exhausted.  Two friends came to look for me, and literally beat on the door and screamed at me until the neighbors came out and made them leave.  Slept through the whole thing.  Once they got out of the building and access to a phone (pre-cell phone days!) and the first ring of the phone had me leaping out of bed and across the room for the phone.  Sometimes it's the kind of noise that wakes one up too, not just the volume!

• Love 2

Joan must be the soundest sleeper in all the northeast United States if all that fussing about did not wake her.

Well, Joan has been rooming with Sherlock, a man who conducts bizarre and noisy experiments and has no recognizable pattern of sleep hours.  I bet she's gotten used to a lot.

Going into this episode I did not realize that Fiona was going to be a recurring character, let alone a romantic interest for Sherlock.  I can buy the idea that they would pique each others' curiosity, but I'm not sure how a relationship will play out.  Integrating a character on the spectrum in a romantic relationship is not something I've seen other than on Alphas, with Gary, the show Wynterwolf mentioned (which was cruelly canceled on a cliffhanger.  Not that I'm still irritated by that). I think that so far they've made good decisions in giving Fiona clear agency in her life and as an equal partner in the founding of the relationship.

Joan recognizing and capitalizing on Sherlock's interest in Fiona was spot on.  Sherlock has antagonized her frequently about relationships and turnabout is fair play.  And Joan was both happy for him and willing to help him develop another overture toward Fiona.  It was a great character moment for both of them. 

• Love 1

But that's also true of any character... everyone should be an individual first, each with their own unique traits.

I think they do that with all the characters, which is why we love them so much.

I bet Sherlock is silent like a cat if he wants to be, too.

The thing about that scene that gets to me the most is that I totally believe Joan and Sherlock have that kind of pranky relationship where he'd do something like stage her room as the crime scene while she's sleeping, rather than just tell her about what happened after she wakes up. Good world-building, show! Because I know they are just looking for ways to make exposition more interesting for the audience, but they've set up characters who make those kinds of tv machinations credible and amusing, instead of annoying to me.

And Sherlock buying out a store's supply of some playset, just to use the unicorns as bikes and the cupcake as the computer (because of course it is) is perfectly in character.

Sherlock has antagonized her frequently about relationships and turnabout is fair play. And Joan was both happy for him and willing to help him develop another overture toward Fiona. It was a great character moment for both of them.

Maybe Sherlock and Fiona can double-date with Joan and Bell!

Joan teasing Sherlock was definitely the highlight.

I buy Joan sleeping through however much noise Sherlock made moving everything into her bedroom because I am a heavy sleeper too. I would have slept through the entire Northridge earthquake (which was a 6.7 and brought down freeway overpasses) if not for someone yanking me out of bed and throwing me in the doorway (and even then, I was barely awake, asking, "What are you doing?").

I loved Joan teasing Sherlock, especially after his very brusque interrogation of Joan a few episodes ago asking her if she was sleeping with Bell. There are very few things that are uncomfortable for Sherlock to talk about, so it's rare that the shoe is on the other foot.

But I also loved the more serious conversation they had about Fiona later. As Joan pointed out, he was worrying about the breakup before they had even gone on a single date. And she was correct when she told him that Fiona is not Moriarty. Even if this relationship doesn't end with marriage and kids, it will be fun to watch Sherlock learn and grow from the experience. You know, as long as Moriarty doesn't kill Fiona any time soon.

As much as I enjoyed the life sized layout on the roof and the sparkle pony model, it seemed like a lot of effort, more than Sherlock would normally employ. As for moving Joan's bed to the roof to stand in for the pool table, why wouldn't he have just marked that area off with more lights?

• Love 2

Now you've got me curious about Sherlock. Where's our turtle?

Clyde's in the fridge. Sherlock thought he wasn't getting a sufficiently proper winter necessary for his turtle Health. It was shown a couple of eps back.
  • Love 1
I love Fiona. I think Sherlock is attracted to her unvarnished honesty. She's brilliant but incapable of playing mind games, and as much as I think Sherlock enjoys sparring with people on an emotional/intellectual minefield he also recognizes that it's unhealthy for him. It's probably very restful for him to have an intelligent, attractive woman just say, "Sure, kissing would be great. But not now. Now is the time for caffeine."

I agree with this.  Sherlock confronts people all the time, who lie to him, who lie to the police.  It has to be refreshing for him to be with someone who can't do that.  "I don't want to kiss you right now, let's have coffee."   It's not how people usually relate.   People lie to spare feelings or they lie because they don't want to say the wrong thing.  Fiona said she doesn't pick up on social cues, but what she does do is pick up on her own cues; she knows what she does and doesn't feel like doing and she's not afraid to verbalize it.  I think Sherlock is just taken by someone who is THAT honest.  

You know, as long as Moriarty doesn't kill Fiona any time soon.

You know, as intensely jealous and upset as I think Moriarty would be about Fiona, I honestly don't think she'd kill her. I know that seems nuts, but hear me out. Moriarty is pure villain, but she's slightly hamstrung by the fact that she genuinely loves Sherlock. And despite everything, that feeling is mutual. He will move on with his life (which is super healthy) and fall for someone else, and even commit to another woman, but because he is the kind of person who has so much trouble connecting with others, part of him will always be entwined with someone that he was able to do that with, no matter who she is. He just seems to have put those feelings into their proper place for where he is in his life. 

Thing is, because she loves him, she won't hurt him like that. She might get angry, and maybe do a little kidnapping and growling, but she wouldn't kill Fiona, for the same reason that she wouldn't kill Joan. Any connection that he had with Moriarty would instantly be severed if she harmed anyone that he'd allowed close to his incredibly guarded heart. And we've seen what he's capable of when pushed to that kind of pure anger. She knows he's capable of blind relentless rage, and I doubt she'd want that directed toward her. In my experience, people who want an avenue back into someone's life will generally stop short of the point of no return. 

• Love 2

ACK! Why'd I wait so long to watch this? This was a great episode!

I had to re-watch the first fifteen minutes to understand who was asking for what to be stolen

(and, despite the crimes being committed, wouldn't Narco's theft of the computer contents preclude them from being used in any prosecution? In this scenario, Sherlock's effectively an agent of the police... Maybe I missed how the officers planned on using the data that would be allowed without obtaining the evidence with a warrant? Anyway...)

Sherlock's My Little Pony mock up of the heist was awesome. As was every.single.expression he used when trying to get around Joan's "You *LIKE* her" assessment.

I can't wait to see where this goes with Fiona. I love it when a show takes risks with its characterizations and gives everyone something awesome to do.

Edited by Tarasme

I thought about the scene of the shooting not being in the same location as the gangs hideout when Holmes and Watson were trying to figure out about the missing rug. Also with Holmes trying to figure the out how to get in to the computer room. Using their furniture on the roof was funny.  But I also worried that since we only met Captain Will Lombardi, he was the one who set up undercover Detective Ryan Dunning to be killed. But after we met Detective Lisa Hagan things started to come around.

I do in a way think Sherlock and Fiona Helbron make a good couple. He to must have something that make him awkward with others. Even though he likes 2 at a time, he should be able to control his urges when they are together.

I was surprised Nick Farris seemed naive to the Police knowing they were drug traffickers. Or that they might suspect them to be.