Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: What Makes An All Star?

• Start Topic

I like Zanna, and think she would have also been a good host. I don't see any connection between Alyssa and fashion, other than a lack of. Isaac is old news, and although I like Georgina, it's hard to get past the fact her husband owns the show.

I don't mind IM being old news.....I just feel like both he and Zac Posen do a terrible job of being Michael Kors.  MK was over the top but it was so funny, IM's exaggerated "I'm sorry dahling, but....." just doesn't cut it.  And even though MK could be terribly cutting and mean, I think he could tell if someone was at the brink and he would try to pull back.  And he is original.  Zac tries, but fails so spectacularly its not even funny, he is just mean without the wit or charm.  

I guess they weren't paying Michael Kors enough money or he just saw that the show is really circling the drain and wanted to jump off the Titanic before it finally sank into the waters of low budget sponsors and challenges by Yoplait and Red Robin.  I do wish they would find a way to put him back on TV judging something, because I loved that bitchy orange man!

• Love 4

Well, yay, glad this show is back!  Glad to see Dmitri!  

Layana's made her model look like she had a caved-in chest, which wasn't flattering.

I didn't like Valerie's style on her season, although I like her and respected what she was trying to do.  I did really like what she did here and was happy to see an evolution of her geometric, color blocking style.  

Oh no, Alyssa's culottes!  I really like her, but her styling on this show just defies comprehension! 

Yes, Daniel, it could have, and SHOULD have, been a double elimination!  

Edited by awaken

Well, yay, glad this show is back!  Glad to see Dmitri!  

Layana's made her model look like she had a caved-in chest, which wasn't flattering.

I didn't like Valerie's style on her season, although I like her and respected what she was trying to do.  I did really like what she did here and was happy to see an evolution of her geometric, color blocking style.  

Oh no, Alyssa's culottes!  I really like her, but her styling on this show just defies comprehension! 

Yes, Daniel, it could have, and SHOULD have, been a double elimination!  

I think they missed a real opportunity in not making it a double elimination.

They should be sending a message.  This is fucking ALL-STARS and there will be no excuses for your subpar clothing.  The reason they don't offer immunity on this show is so that people can't hide behind the promise of not getting eliminated.  If you can't produce ALL-STAR level designs then you need to go home, and if two of you can't produce at that level than both of you need to go home.

Instead, two designers sending out shitty clothing were basically rewarded by both of them getting to stay.  Ridiculous.  How can you call this All-Stars when you can produce shitty work in the first week and get to stay?  

MK and Heidi would have ripped Mitchell to shreds.  First, there is the skirt that looks like a loofah, then there is the uneven boobs, and I could see how bad that top was from a laptop screen.  I cannot even imagine how terrible that looked up close and in person.  And Daniel's was an even worse mess.  It was not only terrible, it was boring!  And you damn near saw the models business because the slit went up so high.  There was nothing signature, interesting, or inventive about that disaster of a dress.  

Alyssa stays looking terrible on this show.  At this point, it must be by design, just like how Bjork used to always dress wacky to make a worst dressed list....some sort of social commentary.

• Love 3

They way overdo peplums on PR, but they do have their place in the real world, I swear! I have several and dread the day they go out of style. Particularly jackets. Look to the 40s to see how peplum jackets create a beautiful shape.

I'm a pear, and most tops aren't cut with the curvy or a-line shape I need to fit both waist and hip. Peplums solve that. And they mask a bit of belly if they hit in the right spot. They key is it a gentle peplum -- the exaggerated stiffness & ruffles we see on TV don't work for me at all. I want to create curve without adding volume. 

• Love 6

I guess they weren't paying Michael Kors enough money or he just saw that the show is really circling the drain and wanted to jump off the Titanic before it finally sank into the waters of low budget sponsors and challenges by Yoplait and Red Robin.  I do wish they would find a way to put him back on TV judging something, because I loved that bitchy orange man!

Michael Kors has been a billionaire since shortly after his company went public. I don't think he needs this show any more.

• Love 5

They should be sending a message.  This is fucking ALL-STARS and there will be no excuses for your subpar clothing.  The reason they don't offer immunity on this show is so that people can't hide behind the promise of not getting eliminated.  If you can't produce ALL-STAR level designs then you need to go home, and if two of you can't produce at that level than both of you need to go home.

I agree that a  double elimination would have been completely justified but that could have screwed up the production schedule of however many episodes they're filming. Just saying.

• Love 1

Nope.  I don't remember him in his seasons, but the person I saw looked high on something...and it was not life.

At first it seems kinda okay, but it turned weird quick.  That rambling story about his wife, huh? His entire demeanor is just....just no.

He was like that on the previous seasons. And now we're supposed to buy him as an All-Star??!!!  He was the first elimination on the very first episode of the very first season because he was like that.  He hung on a little longer in season 2 because they had some contestants who were somewhat more actively incompetent.  I think he was the obvious boot for this episode, but I see where they felt like they didn't want to do that because 1) too cheap a gag, and 2)he's the only contestant from the Bravo years.  Mitchell's was a  mess of course, but I actually like it better since it clearly got across his inspiration memory of dressing up dolls in fantasy outfits, whereas Daniel's was as Isaac wearily and accurately said, nothing.  Poorly made nothing.  At least when Anya put things out on her models without actually sewing anything, she chose better fabrics and knew how to drape them.

Oh, well, and there was also the fact that Asha repeatedly got RAVES for cutting a slit in a tablecloth and calling it a poncho.

Are you talking about Asha - cause that sounds more like the mentor, Anya?   Both were on UTG.

Thrilled to see Swatch. 

Edited by ratgirlagogo

Of the designs Asha and the partner she shanked produced, the only one her partner was responsible for was the pink one, which Asha insisted on picking the (ghastly) fabric for with her partner's money. I think the thing she was given credit for hacking out of a bolt of eyelet was the 'dashiki' in the center. 

• Love 2

I wouldn't even have remembered her doing that, although there it is of course, thanks.  What I remember is her doing tons of Forever 21/Strawberry style dresses much like the one she made this episode:

https://www.google.com/search?q=asha+under+the+gunn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij0sOP8PfKAhWCc

ETA: the one with the plaid skirt-that-looked-like-shirt she made for the Disney star was probably the best of these.

Anya on the other hand - I'm not sure she ever sewed anything other than a straight seam and most of her stuff was large pieces of fabric draped like glamour poolwear, like Ulli without the construction or design skills.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3

Michael Kors has been a billionaire since shortly after his company went public. I don't think he needs this show any more.

Really?  Damn it, I guess he won't be coming back.  I just wish he would, I really enjoyed him...even though I know others despised him.

• Love 3

Once again, I find myself in Bizarro World PR because I couldn't believe some of those garments were safe.  I thought there should've been about 6 in the bottom--Emily's especially.  But how in the world was that lavender thing in the top?!  A weird, unflattering top and styling from hell.  I guess I'll just tune in for the fights.

And shout out to the poster upthread who pointed out how bad Valerie's nose piercing looks.  I thought she had a drop of snot hanging from her nose after she got emotional.  No bueno.

• Love 1

They way overdo peplums on PR, but they do have their place in the real world, I swear! I have several and dread the day they go out of style. Particularly jackets. Look to the 40s to see how peplum jackets create a beautiful shape.

I'm a pear, and most tops aren't cut with the curvy or a-line shape I need to fit both waist and hip. Peplums solve that. And they mask a bit of belly if they hit in the right spot. They key is it a gentle peplum -- the exaggerated stiffness & ruffles we see on TV don't work for me at all. I want to create curve without adding volume. 

I love my peplum dresses, BUT I realize I'm not fashion forward and I wear what I like no matter whats on trend or in style.  If Project Runway is supposed to be about whats new, now, and on trend, a peplum hasn't really been any of those things for a while.  But I happily wear my peplum dresses, because as regular folk, I don't have to be that concerned about being fashion forward!  :)

• Love 5

I roared with laughter this morning when Betty White popped up on my screen wearing a peplum jacket. In a 1989 "Golden Girls" episode. She looked lovely and age appropriate for the time - in 1.9.8.9.

It certainly put the "young (or was it current?) and fresh" silliness into perspective.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 5

I roared with laughter this morning when Betty White popped up on my screen wearing a peplum jacket. In a 1989 "Golden Girls" episode. She looked lovely and age appropriate.

It certainly put the "young (or was it current?) and fresh" silliness into perspective.

I can almost see it in my mind....was it powder blue and she was wearing it for her date with Issac Newton?

I love me some Golden Girls.  But I also love a peplum dress, so maybe I dress like a 60 something.  :)

I really don't mind a first episode without an elimination, but I think it's more suited to a regular season than an AS season. It would give the designers a couple of chances to show what they can do within the competition parameters. These folks already had at least a whole season to do that, though, so they don't need another shot.

Peplum? Love them. If it’s "fashion forward" to make women of different shapes look horrible, I say screw fashion forward. To be honest, I don't even know what the term means. All silhouettes, fabrics, styles have cycled in and out. The only reason fashion changes is to fool women into wasting money and time. So, I say go with the style that speaks to you and fits your body.

I don't like Isaac much, but I despise Kors even more. If they must have the token dude on the panel, I wish Zac had time for both shows. He is the only token dude the franchise has who sticks to the work rather than trying to play Bitchy Queen for attention.

• Love 1

I think Zac started out as a nice judge, which is fine.  He bored me to tears, but, at least he was being himself.  Over the years he has gotten much sharper and meaner.  With none of the snarky wit that made me appreciate MK.  I feel like someone took him aside and told him to act more like MK and he has gone over the top.  And with none of the humor that made Kors enjoyable for me.  When Zac tries to make a snarky remark its just not funny, it almost always seems to fall flat and he is the only one laughing at it.  It feels so forced and unnatural and just blah.  I like Heidi, and Nina, but those are the only two that would make the show palatable for me and I'm not watching next cycle, so its for the best.  Personally, I felt that MK gave the same level of analysis of the clothing, but he was much more amusing.  MK was snarky and fun, for me.  Zac is just mean and not very funny at all.

But, MV on these things.

• Love 2

I'm re-watching Under The Gunn to remind myself why I dislike Asha and Sam. After re-watching the runway/judging/aftermath of episode 9 I am so disgusted with Anya (disliked her on her season), Mondo (such a disappointment), Asha and almost all of them. I only really like Oscar & Natalia (and Nick as a mentor even though all the mentors sucked). I haven't started episode 10 yet but it looks like Asha gets paired with Natalia (the girl who is ostracized and the others treat horribly and talk about negatively). I really dislike Asha. I can't believe they brought her back for this All-Star season. Her dress she made on episode 9 made her model look pregnant and it was hideous.

Asha needs to go home! Sam needs to go as well.

Now I know why I wasn't remembering them---I blocked that Under the Gunn season from my mind out of self preservation (defense mechanism)

• Love 5

I can almost see it in my mind....was it powder blue and she was wearing it for her date with Issac Newton?

I love me some Golden Girls. But I also love a peplum dress, so maybe I dress like a 60 something. :)

Your response, and me (and likely many others) knowing exactly what you mean, makes this even funnier.

And the answer: neither. It was a berry number worn while working for Enrrrrrrrique Mas.

A few short years earlier and you might have been dressing like a certain former Georgia beauty queen turned interior decorator.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 2

Your response, and me (and likely many others) knowing exactly what you mean, makes this even funnier.

And the answer: neither. It was a berry number worn while working for Enrrrrrrrique Mas.

A few short years earlier and you might have been dressing like a certain former Georgia beauty queen turned interior decorator.

You mean Enrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriqe Mas, the former boxer who studied acting at Julliard after he messed up on his violin audition, because he got knocked out in the first round of the fight?  LOL.  I love Golden Girls so much, that I never even minded the recycling of guest actors.

• Love 1

Why the Valerie love on here??? Does no one else remember her nasty nasty mean girl attitude towards Michael Costello while trying to be one of season 8's kool kids? Ugh ugh ugh she's just an unlikeable person. And seriously, sweetie. A nose ring?

And because I'm an old lady and remember when PR was amazing--yay Daniel Franco and the flashback to the golden seasons 1 and 2. 

I see Zana still has no taste in her personal styling and Alyssa is being blackmailed by her stylist.

Loved Kini's look.

Swatch was the high point for me.

• Love 8

And because I'm an old lady and remember when PR was amazing--yay Daniel Franco and the flashback to the golden seasons 1 and 2.

Seasons one and two were as amazing as they were partially because Daniel was an early auf on both of them.  Jay McCarroll he ain't.  If only.  Sigh.

On the other hand, Dmitry, Stella, Fade and SWATCH.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

Folks, please remember this is the thread to discuss this episode. Some discussion of the designer's original seasons is unavoidable but if the majority of your post is not about this episode it belongs in another thread. If there isn't an existing one you can create one or PM me. 

I like Zanna, and think she would have also been a good host. I don't see any connection between Alyssa and fashion, other than a lack of. Isaac is old news, and although I like Georgina, it's hard to get past the fact her husband owns the show.

Taking my response to Alyssa's thread because I wanna respond to the bolded comment.

Edited by BW Manilowe

I wish Dmitry would never leave.  If they don't make Dmitry a permanent judge, let him compete over and over and over. 

Maybe they can spin off a runway version of Iron Chef - "Iron Needle" or something? "Iron Serger"? I'm just spitballing here. Who would dare to challenge Master Designer Dmitry in Atelier Stadium? [deafening applause, Tim turns to camera and takes a bite out of a bolt of bright red satin, oh no I've lost control of this metaphor]

• Love 6

Maybe they can spin off a runway version of Iron Chef - "Iron Needle" or something? "Iron Serger"? I'm just spitballing here. Who would dare to challenge Master Designer Dmitry in Atelier Stadium? [deafening applause, Tim turns to camera and takes a bite out of a bolt of bright red satin, oh no I've lost control of this metaphor]

Iron Curtain. Secret ingredient is: chintz!

Don't mind me. Long day.

• Love 9

I'm way late...eh, OK.  It's like half of season 12 and half of 13.  I'm curious to see how they can fluff these people.  Also, the kids on Juniors did some of this stuff better, imho, like the feminine warrior idea.  

I fully don't understand the non-elimination.  It didn't fit with the all-stars/brutal competition narrative, and the work was crap.  Since when does someone get praised for throwing up a bunch of ideas with poor execution and no refinement?  

Last thing, since it's all been said- I didn't mind Under the Gunn like some did.  However, on here that Sam kid...wow.  Trying way too hard to be something, though I'm not sure what.  I almost feel sorry for him, because whatever he's going for he's likely to land somewhere around "delusional."  He lost me by yelling "work!" at his own model.  So tacky.  At least he's pretty to look at.

Am I the only one who was raised Catholic in the house who went "say what...?" when Asha told her First Communion story? I don't practice anymore, but for some reason, that story captured my imagination. I remember my First Communion. Everyone in a simple white dress, white shoes, and a white veil. That was costume enough, never mind a giant crown.  Maybe Asha belonged to one of those congregations where the event was about showing out, and all the little girls trying to outdo each other. Maybe she fit right in with a huge white cylinder on her head. But dressing your child like an actual queen for that type of occasion seems like such a weirdly inappropriate, immodest, "my child is a special snowflake" kind of thing to do.

• Love 4

Re peplums - they are good if your waist and hips are close to the same measurement. The added volume to the hips makes the waist look smaller by contrast.

Someone above said Daniel is the only contestant from the Bravo years - Stella is from season 5, which was shown on Bravo.

Someone above said Daniel is the only contestant from the Bravo years - Stella is from season 5, which was shown on Bravo.

That was me.  I don't know why I remembered her as being on later - I did like her at the time.

Edited by ratgirlagogo