Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E09: The Sound Of Silence

• Start Topic

Meredith gets attacked by a patient. The patient has to live with the guilt of that. Mere's kids are terrified of their mother but let's all remember who the real victim is...

Amelia.

The moment she started with "Do you know how hard it was for me to see you in that trauma room?" I though, "No, she probably doesn't because she was too busy getting her broken jaw pried open and a tracheotomy!" Amelia you are cordially invited to sit. your. ass. down.

Seriously! I was rolling my eyes at how self centered Amelia was in that scene. Yes, Amelia, I'm so sorry that it was very difficult FOR YOU. Never mind the pain that Meredith was in after having the crap beaten out of her. That's nothing compared to how you suffered.

• Love 6

Seriously! I was rolling my eyes at how self centered Amelia was in that scene. Yes, Amelia, I'm so sorry that it was very difficult FOR YOU. Never mind the pain that Meredith was in after having the crap beaten out of her. That's nothing compared to how you suffered.

And Meredith suffered terribly but it was difficult for everybody. Alex was crying listening to Mer scream in pain, but he still did his job. I know Amelia has issues but come on.
  • Love 6

I thought it was great.  I didn't see a bit of hype about it so I went in blind and the scenes where Meredith couldn't hear and then how they brought back her hearing were really well done.  I've never seen anything like that done before.

And that ending song....just effing shoot me.  Jesus.

• Love 5

Amelia can have all sorts of seats. "Oh, poor me, when I saw you on the trauma room table, all I could think about was how hard it would be for me to face another funeral!" I'm almost glad that Meredith kept your 30-day chip. (I'm really not. Keeping the chip felt vindictive, even though I have barely any sympathy for Amelia at all.)

Shondaland likes to go all out with beaten-doctor make-up. I've done theatrical make-up, so this episode (like Charlotte's attack on PP) made me watch for realistic bruise shading. I thought they cleared it all up a bit too quickly; there should have been some scenes with yellowing bruises around her eyes and cheeks.

As much as I would have preferred that Jo was Mer's doctor instead of Penny (it would have been a great way to underscore Mer finally coming to respect the woman that Alex loves), I guess they wanted to give Penny her "stand up to the men in power" moment by justifying her action to Jackson after she cut the mouth wires. That scene wouldn't have worked as well coming from Jo, since she wasn't in the intro training scene with the voiceover about the women's voices not being heard.

• Love 2

And Meredith suffered terribly but it was difficult for everybody. Alex was crying listening to Mer scream in pain, but he still did his job. I know Amelia has issues but come on.

Amelia feels somewhat special. Smh.

• Love 1

Shondaland likes to go all out with beaten-doctor make-up. I've done theatrical make-up, so this episode (like Charlotte's attack on PP) made me watch for realistic bruise shading. I thought they cleared it all up a bit too quickly; there should have been some scenes with yellowing bruises around her eyes and cheeks.

I liked how at the end you could still see her tracheotomy scar.

• Love 5

Gah, I wrote a long post, tried to edit it and it disappeared. 

I'll just say I thought the episode would have worked so much better without all the hype. Meredith was not in mortal danger at any point, it was soon made clear she'd be just fine physically and we barely saw any of the attack. All of it would have been alright for a regular episode (ignoring the fact she's experienced every tragedy known to a man, of course), there really was no need for the over the top hype like that. They really only did it so people would come back to the show after such a long break.

I hoped Penny would "vindicate herself" simply by doing her job and being competent without much fuss, but of course they made her have her *moment* which of course felt cheap and contrived.  

Edited by Joana

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode.  Watching this show is like slipping into a cozy cocoon for me - I ignore all the hype and naysayers, and just let myself be caught up in the moment.

But I still despise Amelia with the fire of a thousand burning nuns.

• Love 10

I will say that the reconciliation scene between Mere and Lou made me cry and it's been a long time since the show has done that. I didn't even cry when Derek died.

Often I feel like this show is trying to manipulate me into crying but something about that scene felt very real and understated. Meredith struggling to see past the memory of what he did to her and Lou seeing her in a wheelchair unable to speak and knowing he did that to her even though he had no memory. I especially like how he focused on her pain and struggled to let her know that he never would consciously do that to her or any woman. I liked that they had him say that in front of his wife and (insanely adorable) daughters. Watching him own that in front of his children just tore me up. It was a refreshing counterpart to Amelia's toxic narcissism. See Amelia? THAT's how you apologize to someone.

Of course this could all be because Lou reminded me of my father even though he's been gone for 25 years so feel free to discount everything I said as me being an over emotional schmuck. *sniffs and dabs eyes*

Is this a typo or are burning nuns a new expression on the internet that I haven't seen before? ;-)

Edited by marceline
  • Love 9

I'm also glad the other storylines weren't completely ignored, but did we really have to find out about the divorce by April making a scene at workplace? A bit more subtlety would be nice. 

• Love 4
I will say that the reconciliation scene between Mere and Lou made me cry and it's been a long time since the show has done that. I didn't even cry when Derek died.

Same here. Meredith's ordeal didn't really evoke any strong reactions from me one way or the other - because we knew perfectly well she wasn't going to die or anything, because having everything but the kitchen sink thrown at her is getting old and contrived, whatever - but I definitely teared up when Mer was reunited with Lou. Seeing how devastated, guilt-ridden, horrified he was by what he'd done - and didn't even remember doing - just made me feel so, so sorry for him.

Is this a typo or are burning nuns a new expression on the internet that I haven't seen before? ;-)

If it's not, I officially nominate it to be so. But yeah, Amelia can go now. At least they're being consistent, though, with her neverending, all-consuming narcissism.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I thought it was ok, parts of it very good. I liked the way they used the sound cutting in and out to show us she couldn't hear. I really liked the scene with Meredith and Richard, I thought that was the best one of the night. 

I'm a big ER fan and I didn't think it was a rip off of the Lucy/Carter episode at all (I keep seeing this all over social media).  The shot of Meredith on the floor was reminiscent of Lucy and it was a patient who attacked (done on many medical shows) but that's where the similarities ended for me.

Overall I found it flat. I'm not a Meredith fan though and I dislike Penny.

I'm also glad the other storylines weren't completely ignored, but did we really have to find out about the divorce by April making a scene at workplace? A bit more subtlety would be nice.

I'm not a big April/Jackson fan but their storyline has been completely screwed (as has most other characters) by the almost year-long time jump last season and now another. I thought a couple dealing with the loss of a child could have been a good story for Grey's but it was shoved aside. I agree, more subtle would have been nice but since they had about 25 seconds to show they were still angry and divorcing I guess its the best they could do.

Edited by windsprints
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I felt moved by a few scenes, the one when kids came to see Mer,the one with Richard in hospital park and the one when she forgave the attacker. 

It was not  an episode I would rewatch although the  perspective of  a patient healing and feeling at times so desperate over a long period of time,unable to move, to speak ,to hear was extremely well-executed by Pompeo´s acting.

Dreadful  Amelia. WHEN WILL THEY WRITE HER OFF THE SHOW?  WHEN???!!!

Edited by Meredithfan
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Amelia was awful in most of her scenes, but on the other hand, I don't think she really needs to be forgiven by Meredith so I was a little annoyed by it. I don't know where they're going with these two and why so much time was given to their personal dynamics in this episode. I guess the best possible outcome would be them acknowledging they can be a part of each other's lives without necessarily loving each other, being each other's sister or person or whatever crap. Meredith's "epiphany" in the end seemed to indicate she's about to take such outlook at life but you never know with this show.

A relatively minor thing, but Callie's facial expressions when she talked to Meredith bugged me a bit. They looked quite exaggerated, like she was communicating with a child. Sara Ramirez can do better than that.

• Love 1

A relatively minor thing, but Callie's facial expressions when she talked to Meredith bugged me a bit. They looked quite exaggerated, like she was communicating with a child. Sara Ramirez can do better than that.

I think the same, those scenes were a bit weird,the way she articulated.

• Love 3

Dreadful  Amelia. WHEN WILL THEY WRITE HER OFF THE SHOW?  WHEN???!!!

Keep dreaming. The overall message of the episode, if I understood correctly, was that Mer doesn't have just one person (Cris), she has a village (Alex, all the other docs...and...dear Amelia). I think that since Sandra Oh left, Shonda  has been itching to make this transition. Leaving Cristina in the past. And as you saw,  Cristina wasn't definately there for Mer as in the funeral of Derek. Who was there? The others and Amelia who  came to the show to substitute Cristina.  Not even a mention to her soulmate???!!! So, she's not going anywhere soon, to my chagrin.

Edited by Nanda
  • Love 1

I thought it was great.  I didn't see a bit of hype about it so I went in blind and the scenes where Meredith couldn't hear and then how they brought back her hearing were really well done.  I've never seen anything like that done before.

And that ending song....just effing shoot me.  Jesus.

I was super annoyed at first with the hearing thing, because we heard her ears were ringing.  I couldn't stand that high-pitched whine and had to turn the sound off and closed captioning on, so that was ineffective as far as I was concerned.

• Love 1
I think that since Sandra Oh left, Shonda  has been itching to make this transition. Leaving Cristina in the past. And as you saw,  Cristina wasn't definately there for Mer as in the funeral of Derek. Who was there? The others and Amelia who  came to the show to substitute Cristina.  Not even a mention to her soulmate???!!! So, she's not going anywhere soon, to my chagrin.

Actually Cristina was at the funeral, just not in the form of Sandra Oh. But I don't think the show is trying to push Cristina into the past or have Amelia take her place in Meredith's life. I think the point in this episode was that Meredith doesn't have to like Amelia, or be ready to forgive her now if ever, but she needs to move forward, stop resenting Amelia for reminding her of Derek and what she's lost, and accept Amelia's place in her life as a member of the "village" that is her family. The rest of us in the audience, however, are free to wish evil things on her as we wish.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 5

Keep dreaming. The overall message of the episode, if I understood correctly, was that Mer doesn't have just one person (Cris), she has a village (Alex, all the other docs...and...dear Amelia). I think that since Sandra Oh left, Shonda  has been itching to make this transition. Leaving Cristina in the past. And as you saw,  Cristina wasn't definately there for Mer as in the funeral of Derek. Who was there? The others and Amelia who  came to the show to substitute Cristina.  Not even a mention to her soulmate???!!! So, she's not going anywhere soon, to my chagrin.

That is what lies beneath it all. Not a single mention of Cris. I do miss her a lot.

I hope Meredith will not forget her.

Feeling nostalgic, the show was different with Cristina around.

Edited by Meredithfan
  • Love 2

This is something that bugs me off and on about both Sara and Kevin. It's like they forget sometimes that they're not on a stage, they're close up on camera but they're still acting stage-y.

I thought the episode was generally acted well, I just hate 10 second info dumps and another time jump. Would've worked better for me as the mid season finale and then a more complete premiere episode for aftermath.

• Love 2

I'm not an Amelia fan at all (she's my least favourite regular Grey's character ever, to be honest) but I don't think that they're using her to replace Cristina. They wouldn't have Meredith reject her so consistently if that was the point. If anything, they may have tried to use Maggie to fill that void. But they can't keep dwelling on Cristina - I appreciate that they haven't forgotten her, but Yang is gone.

Yes, perhaps realistically we'd like to think Cristina would show up for something like this - but she can't. The actress left the show. They added a scene after Derek's death to imply Cristina was there. There are some constraints out of the writers hands. Beating a dead horse would get tired very quickly... Meredith, and we as the audience, have to move on if we're going to continue watching. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 6

I might get hate for this but I really really really think we should let go of Cristina. She's gone. Sandra left the show. She's not coming back any time soon if ever. Maybe I'm the only one but I don't miss her that much. I actually miss Lexie more than I miss Cristina, because in the Grey's world we know Cristina is still in touch with Meredith and that's enough for me, while Lexie, for example, is not even mentioned as if Meredith has never had another sister. Plus, even though I loved Mertina I admit their relationship was very toxic most of the times.

• Love 10

I agree, Kagomei. Mer and Cristina were -- are -- very, very close. When something major like this happens to Meredith, we have to think that Cristina, of all people, will return to be by her side to support her, because in real life such a friend would do so. But we're not going to see Cristina show up, because Sandra Oh is no longer on the show and is not going to make a return appearance for such episodes. So I am fine with presuming that Cristina showed up at some point, or was at least made aware of what was going on, offscreen, and leave it at that, and move on.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

From the comment string in "The Me Nobody Knows":

I'd like to think the natural ending to this arc will be when Penny gets a critical patient, and this time, asserts herself and saves the patient's life. That Meredith will have been the one responsible for her professional growth feels like a rebirth, to me.

Maybe the writers do sometimes think ahead, or refer back to previous episodes. I know that Mer was not critical when Penny had to stand up to Jackson and defend her reasoning for cutting the wires, but she finally did assert herself against the established male doctor, and what she did was in her patient's best interest. So, can this be the end of her arc? I'm OK with Penny fading into the background or going away completely.

• Love 2

I might get hate for this but I really really really think we should let go of Cristina. She's gone. Sandra left the show. She's not coming back any time soon if ever. Maybe I'm the only one but I don't miss her that much. I actually miss Lexie more than I miss Cristina, because in the Grey's world we know Cristina is still in touch with Meredith and that's enough for me, while Lexie, for example, is not even mentioned as if Meredith has never had another sister. Plus, even though I loved Mertina I admit their relationship was very toxic most of the times.

I hope part of what comes out of this episode, like I said before, is an exploration of these other relationships that Meredith has. I know many people disagree, but my opinion is that the show works best when she is at least used as an anchor. I'd love to see her getting more scenes with Arizona, Jackson, even April. Maybe mentoring Ben (and I'm hoping that the Callie / Jo work relationship picks up again next week.) If they're insistent on keeping this huge cast around, then lets at least start integrating all of these characters and showing some new dynamics.

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2

Maybe the writers do sometimes think ahead, or refer back to previous episodes. I know that Mer was not critical when Penny had to stand up to Jackson and defend her reasoning for cutting the wires, but she finally did assert herself against the established male doctor, and what she did was in her patient's best interest. So, can this be the end of her arc? I'm OK with Penny fading into the background or going away completely.

She's not going away yet as she's in the photos for episode 14. But yeah, she might become a background character like the blonde intern or whoever. It would be for the best as it's really not going anywhere like this. 

Agree with the Carter/Lucy from ER ripoff comments. I'm actually surprised the show hasn't had this kind of storyline earlier, and I suspect the reason they waited for such a long time to do it is that the writers are well aware of that iconic episode.

I would be ecstatically happy if this was the end of Penny's arc, but sadly it is not.  That being said, I get that she stood up to Jackson (the male surgeon) but I really did not see this as a big "stand up and be heard" gesture.  If any other of the female doctors (Bailey, Meredith, April, etc) on the show did something like that it wouldn't even be mentioned.  No "yay good for her", that's just how doctors act.  I realize this show goes against social norms with so many outspoken, fierce female surgeons but still, I really don't see this as a big redemption for Penny.  Certainty not on par with not fighting for a life saving scan (during Derek's death episode). If this was then end her arc, i'd happily take it as the end but its definitely not.  

Also, did any get the symbolic nature of Penny "giving Meredith her voice"?  Thats the only part of this scene I thought was well planned.  

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 2
If any other of the female doctors (Bailey, Meredith, April, etc) on the show did something like that it wouldn't even be mentioned.  No "yay good for her", that's just how doctors act.  I realize this show goes against social norms with so many outspoken, fierce female surgeons but still, I really don't see this as a big redemption for Penny.  Certainty not on par with not fighting for a life saving scan (during Derek's death episode).

That is how doctors act, or are supposed to act, and the other female doctors have always been all about that. But Penny doesn't. That's her issue, and that's the one "failure" she has as a doctor that she's needed to learn. She doesn't stand her ground, doesn't speak up for herself and what she knows is best for her patient. She backs away from confrontation and lets the other big scary doctors talk her down. That's why Derek didn't get that CT when she knew he needed one. Because she let that other (stupid) doctor talk her down. I don't know if this episode was her "redemption" or not, but she finally did what she's always been lacking in: She stood her ground and didn't back down.

• Love 5

If it's not, I officially nominate it to be so. But yeah, Amelia can go now. At least they're being consistent, though, with her neverending, all-consuming narcissism.

It was a typo (not mine, unfortunately) back in the days of TWoP (Television Without Pity) that was so awesome it became an instant classic.  FYI - the original expression was "the fire of a thousand burning suns".   ;-)

• Love 5
in the Grey's world we know Cristina is still in touch with Meredith and that's enough for me

I agree. I do miss Cristina but the actress left the show. If she was living off screen in Seattle it would be one thing but she's halfway around the world. I figured that Alex, Bailey or Owen let Cristina know what happened. Meredith's injuries weren't life threatening, she was getting the medical care she needed and she was surrounded by people who care about her. In real life people can't always drop everything and run when something awful happens to people they love so I don't view this as anything different. We know that Meredith and Cristina speak on the phone/facetime so I just assumed Cristina was in touch and giving some emotional support. Its been almost 2 years Grey's time since Cristina left and Meredith's life has gone on without her.

I don't think Amelia or Maggie were added to replace Cristina. The person role was given to Alex (why he's had no story for 2 seasons). IMO Amelia was added for neuro cases and to keep a Shepherd connection and Maggie to give Meredith a biological family member.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I agree. I do miss Cristina but the actress left the show. If she was living off screen in Seattle it would be one thing but she's halfway around the world. I figured that Alex, Bailey or Owen let Cristina know what happened. Meredith's injuries weren't life threatening, she was getting the medical care she needed and she was surrounded by people who care about her. In real life people can't always drop everything and run when something awful happens to people they love so I don't view this as anything different. We know that Meredith and Cristina speak on the phone/facetime so I just assumed Cristina was in touch and giving some emotional support. Its been almost 2 years Grey's time since Cristina left and Meredith's life has gone on without her.

I don't think Amelia or Maggie were added to replace Cristina. The person role was given to Alex (why he's had no story for 2 seasons). IMO Amelia was added for neuro cases and to keep a Shepherd connection and Maggie to give Meredith a biological family member.

So true. My uncle and my grandpa passed away and I couldn't make it to their funerals because I was halfway across the country. It doesn't mean I didn't care, but it was impossible for me to come at that time.

• Love 1

Ummmm, pen and paper anyone?

I was literally screaming to the TV "use a damn board or something"

Also I found odd that the automatic door in that room didn't open when somebody walked nearby, maybe not that automatic, the struggle inside should have also opened it. 

First doctor to leave, to get someone from neuro, Penny then goes to get Lorazepam from the pharmacy (no idea why is not on the trauma room), then the 2 nurses go, the auto-door opens every time with no problem.

• Love 2

I agree, Kagomei. Mer and Cristina were -- are -- very, very close. When something major like this happens to Meredith, we have to think that Cristina, of all people, will return to be by her side to support her, because in real life such a friend would do so. But we're not going to see Cristina show up, because Sandra Oh is no longer on the show and is not going to make a return appearance for such episodes. So I am fine with presuming that Cristina showed up at some point, or was at least made aware of what was going on, offscreen, and leave it at that, and move on.

But they did not mention her at all. We could have seen at least an allusion like Meredith saying towards the end of the episode as her state slightly improved,she was able to speak and walk that  she was just on the phone with Cristina or whatever. Just one sentence to know they do keep in touch. 

Instead we get that awful overload of Amelia hypertalk over and over again,I am sick of her presence on the show.

Yes, we can presume Cristina knew,was told off screen,spoke to Meredith off screen but to me it is not enough.

Edited by Meredithfan
  • Love 2

We know they keep in touch regularly. They did mention it previously. But Sandra Oh is gone; Cristina is not here. The show has moved on. Mentioning her name every time something happens is not moving on. I am fine with presuming that she's still in the loop about these things.

• Love 5

We know they keep in touch regularly. They did mention it previously. But Sandra Oh is gone; Cristina is not here. The show has moved on. Mentioning her name every time something happens is not moving on. I am fine with presuming that she's still in the loop about these things.

I haven´t moved on from Cristina so to say.

Some fans have but I will never do. The more time passes, the more I miss her absence on the show.Especially in these personal tragedies of Meredith,I miss her the most. Yes,at least an allusion to her being there at Derek´s funeral was nice, but I expected something said  on screen last episode,too. That is all.

Edited by Meredithfan
  • Love 2

Often I feel like this show is trying to manipulate me into crying but something about that scene felt very real and understated. Meredith struggling to see past the memory of what he did to her and Lou seeing her in a wheelchair unable to speak and knowing he did that to her even though he had no memory. I especially like how he focused on her pain and struggled to let her know that he never would consciously do that to her or any woman. I liked that they had him say that in front of his wife and (insanely adorable) daughters. Watching him own that in front of his children just tore me up. It was a refreshing counterpart to Amelia's toxic narcissism. See Amelia? THAT's how you apologize to someone.

Of course this could all be because Lou reminded me of my father even though he's been gone for 25 years so feel free to discount everything I said as me being an over emotional schmuck. *sniffs and dabs eyes*

We used to say it on Television Without Pity a lot, at least on the American Idol threads.

Maybe Cristina will be mentioned in a later episode, as Meredith continues to suffer emotionally and starts pushing people away. Perhaps there'll be a throwaway line about Cristina calling every morning at the same time to check in or something. Maybe not. But I'm fine with not having a direct mention of Alex calling her, for example, in this episode. There's enough going on and it's not necessary to just come right out with it. Logically and realistically, Cristina would have been informed of what happened to her best friend. I'll assume that logic was followed. I don't need to actually see it to be real.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 3

LOL  it was one of those most epic typos on TWOP then everyone kept saying it. sort of like how "pwned" is a thing - hating someone with the power of a thousand burning nuns is a lotta hate ;)

I enjoyed the episode.

I find it very difficult that Lou had all that time to do that much damage to Meredith (including being slammed several times against the glass) and no one heard/saw anything. I know it's busy but still. I've worked in a very busy/active place and you get used to how things should sound - and how things shouldn't.

I think i would have liked more of a outside POV vs. Meredith POV.

I think..... i kind of would have made Meredith deaf. even partially. (but smokes. to be hit that hard that it renders you deaf?)

the "last time she bought the Hospital" line made no sense. like .... and so?

Jackson/April divorce via Meredith-vision. Works for me.

There are no words of how over i am with Amelia . Meredith gets hurt and Amelia just breaks down? I am sorry if she is this fragile - she shouldn't be in the hospital imo. like. I know the Chief broke down in season six and all - but it took a while for him to get to that point. Amelia breaks down every five seconds. (even with Derek dying into consideration).

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I like Meredith, for the most part.  Or, rather, I thought I liked her mostly.  This episode left me thinking that I still love her.  I didn't see much in terms of spoilers, but I knew she was attacked.  So that first scene with Lou was an exercise in anxiety management for me-- kudos to Mr. Washington for the build up.  Watching the other docs treat her made me wince in sympathetic pain.  I ran out of the room for the jaw thing.  Could not watch it.  Tears of frustration for her during recovery.  Tears of sadness because Richard Weber is the best.  It didn't feel like manipulation because I forgot how much I cared about her.

Sure, she's the center of so many tragedies its nearly laughable, but it's a television drama in its 12th season, and she's the title character.  With one episode, I am reminded that I've had a 12 year relationship with this woman, and it was a pleasure to have that reconnect.  My hope is that this will be the point from which she moves on, either through forgiveness or whatever works for her. 

As I said after Things We Lost in the Fire, Amelia can STFU.  The writers must hate her, because there are 100 ways for her to walk that smoothie back into the room and say her piece without a single statement in which she puts herself as the center of the dynamic.  But they chose the 'my pain, my fear, my yadda' and it was horrible.

• Love 7

the "last time she bought the Hospital" line made no sense. like .... and so?

It was beyond weird. Was something edited out? I know we were supposed to see everything through Meredith's POV so some/many things couldn't be otherwise explained, but this really felt out of place. 

It looked like Bailey was afraid Meredith was going to sue the hospital and I find it hard to believe that would have been her first concern under those circumstances. 

• Love 1

I didn't really get that conversation, either. I would have thought they would be concerned that Meredith would flip out -- like, literally flip out -- if forced to come face to face with her attacker and hinder her recovery. What's all this talk about her suing the hospital after the plane crash? What does that have to do with anything?

• Love 2

There is definitely something going on with Alex and Meredith. There were vibes all over the place. I think Meredith sent Alex back to Jo because she is being a good friend...but I don't think it will work out.

Amelia sucks.

Who was watching Meredith's kids????

• Love 1

​Actually Cristina was at the funeral, just not in the form of Sandra Oh​

I apologize because I didn't express myself properly. What I meant was that Cris wasn't physically present in this ordeal  contrary to what happened in Derek's funeral. And that's kind of the point. Mer could have died and nothing from or to Cristina? If the show tried to make the point that Mer is enlarging her village beyond Cristina by integrating other people, they failed epically because, they forgot to include Cristina in the said village. We hadn't to see Cristina  in Seattle, just a mention of her, but Amelia was much more important. We had to endure her ranting about how she felt, and how a 'victim' she was ( not Mer) but not even a single word about a woman that was so important in Mer's life. Cris is past , Amelia the future.

Technically we have no idea what was or wasn't mentioned. Meredith couldn't hear anything.

But the audience could. The other Docs  aren't deaf nor is Alex. And absolutely no one, including Alex in that last talk with Mer, not making a remark about Cristina seems very implausible to me unless there's an agenda behind. To me it seems Shonda's cutting with the past once and for all  even if that means to shut down the assumption upon the show was based (Mer and Cris were the love story of the show). And that is not new. Since the minute Amelia entered the show she already had her suit tailored, it was too obvious she was there to replace Cristina as Owen's lover and Mer's sister to the point of hurting the eyes.  They even have chosen a feisty actress to not risk her  not  measure up to Sandra and her Cristina. Pity they couldn't recreate the same excitement Crowen elicit once as couple. The writers out of imagination or maybe not,  copied all Crowen love scenes to the level of stupidity and made Owen and Amelia reproduce them to the level of embarrassment. In the current SL, they resurrected Owen's PTSD, and we've Amelia wanting to know, to help, to be included and of course being left out, excluded by him just like he used to do with his ex-wife. Different character same tune. I can't blame anyone to not pay attention to this SL. 

The proof that Amelia is trying to fight for a place next to Mer as her sister is the current SL which has started last season.

After Cristina left someone had to take that role. Alex did but just partially . Shonda needs a woman bc for her, a relationship btw women are more valuable.God damn does the chosen one had to be that insufferable piece of insignificance?

And hereupon  I've to congratulate the poster that had the courage to point out that Amelia is not only a rehab addict, she's a narcissist. Maybe not to a full content but I agree the way the writers are writing her here on Grey's that she shows traits of this personality disorder. Fully agree.

Edited by Nanda
  • Love 1

Amelia is the worst character ever on this show. Seriously. They have all bugged me at times-except for maybe Alex- but Amelia is the worst to the highest power. She's been selfish since her first day in Shondaland. I've never liked the character and I wish I did but all of her character is whining whine whine. And it all boils down to Amelia and her self-centeredness. 

• Love 2

I agree. with things like this - "We spoke to Christina" or something would have made (me) feel a lot better. 

As well as - if they are trying to make Meredith/Alex a thing.... 

man. Alex continually losing it because Mer was hurt, and then crying silently, while she was sobbing, and then the snot joke LOL awesome.

Edited by Daisy
  • Love 1

I'm sorry but I don't understand what is going on with all this 'doubleness'. I think I'm the second poster to get the post deleted when editing today too.

ETA: I think I could fix the double or triple post.

Edited by Nanda