Type keyword(s) to search

The Juice is Loose: OJ Simpson General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't believe OJ has had a moment's peace since the killings. He was ostracized, I bet that stung. His career was over, period. He had to move about every day knowing everyone knew he was a murderer, everyone whispering behind his back. I wonder how many friends he kept.

Exactly! Prison is not always the best form of punishment for a narcissistic person like OJ..Being ostracized, after being adored by millions of people, not to mention  losing the perks of being a celebrity...OJ should have just left the country and lived a private life....I doubt he would have been treated like dirt abroad...

• Love 2

Exactly! Prison is not always the best form of punishment for a narcissistic person like OJ..Being ostracized, after being adored by millions of people, not to mention losing the perks of being a celebrity...OJ should have just left the country and lived a private life....I doubt he would have been treated like dirt abroad...

Yeah I think OJ definitely suffered in a way that might be even worse for him than jail, where he might have retained some celebrity status among other inmates. Watch the video of his robbery trial...he's a broken, broken man.

• Love 5

Yeah I think OJ definitely suffered in a way that might be even worse for him than jail, where he might have retained some celebrity status among other inmates. Watch the video of his robbery trial...he's a broken, broken man.

Poor baby

• Love 1

Do you think he's more of a narcissist or a sociopath? Who would be more likely to feel sorry for his actions?

I wish we'd seen more of this manipulative, actor side in the series. I don't think OJ is a great intellect or anything, but I think he's definitely smart enough to articulate a convincing self-defence, and to fake self awareness. That's scarier to me than a dumb jock committing a crime of passion, so I wish we'd seen that.

Another thing I noticed in the post trial interviews is that OJ always brings up how other people go to him for advice: Nicole, his kids, his friends, other prisoners after the 2008 conviction. Being a sage advice giver seems to be an important part of his self perception. I'm not sure why but this seems important to his pathology.

I agree with spartangirl that he's both but if I had to come down firmly on one side or the other, I would lean heavier toward the narcissist camp.  He's most definitely a first class narcissist.  Everything is about him.  The rules don't apply to him.  He was probably shocked that everyone didn't immediately take his story at face value, because he's O.J.  

(With regard to sociopath, I do think he lacks a conscience based on the comments he's made about Ron's life ending not mattering and the fact that he left his kids' mother where they could find her body.) 

Exactly! Prison is not always the best form of punishment for a narcissistic person like OJ..Being ostracized, after being adored by millions of people, not to mention  losing the perks of being a celebrity...OJ should have just left the country and lived a private life....I doubt he would have been treated like dirt abroad...

I always felt the very best punishment for Simpson was not to be O.J. anymore.  To lose the fancy house, the cars, the country club, the friends and the celebrity.  That would be a fate worse than death to him.  (Again, the narcissist.) 

• Love 2

Shortly before his Las Vegas crime spree, my grandparents met O.J. Simpson on their local golf course in rural Minnesota. He was there with his girlfriend (a Minn. native) and her family. They got a signed golf ball and had a picture taken with him. My grandma is so embarrassed about it now that she has hidden everything away. As I was watching the last episode and O.J.'s slooooooow realization that life was changing I just thought about them.  

I'm just finishing up Toobin's book which is SUCH a good, if enraging, accompaniment to the series - I mean obviously yes, because it's source material, but still: WORTH IT. I can't wait for the ESPN doc to go even deeper into Simpson the man (the myth). 

• Love 1

So once again, I find myself in a city with a huge court case against a black celebrity.  20 years later, I wondered why I didn't remember more about the OJ Simpson trial while it was happening.  What was I doing that I wasn't paying much attention to it.  So now, with the Bill Cosby trial going on, I know.  I'm just so busy with my life, work, family, that I really have no time to read all about it in the newspaper, or listen to everything on the news or media.  I usually scan the newspaper headlines, maybe read a little bit if something interesting catches my eye and move on.  The articles about the Cosby trial just are huge, and I don't have the time to read every little detail (I read these forums instead - much more interesting ;) ).  I'm sure it was the same back in LA with OJ.

• Love 1

OJ has a parole hearing next month. He might get out.

I remember in the end cards of ACS they showed a photo of OJ looking old, fat, and gray in prison. I laughed my ass off...until the caption appeared that he'd up for parole in 2017. Literally: "Hahahaha --ohshit!"

God first the Cosby mistrial and now this.

• Love 2

It's just bizarre to me that in a few months, OJ could just be walking around like he's people. I brought it up to my mom and she pointed out to me that he also did that after the murder trial and until his next arrest, but I think until If I Did It came out, the nation was still relatively divided on whether or not he'd actually killed Ron and Nicole. Now it's an almost universal understanding that he absolutely did it. Also I don't know what his financial situation looks like but I assume it was easier for him to hide away and hire people to do things for him before the most recent arrest. That might be harder now.

Wonder which news outlet will get the first post-incarceration interview.

• Love 2

After watching the parole hearing today, I'm remembering once again the only thing that took me out of this show.  

The horrible, horrible miscasting of Cuba Gooding, Jr.!  He's a terrific actor....but he's just not OJ!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

After watching the parole hearing today, I'm remembering once again the only thing that took me out of this show.  

The horrible, horrible miscasting of Cuba Gooding, Jr.!  He's a terrific actor....but he's just not OJ!

No, but I think he did a good job portraying the delusional instability lurking underneath the affable persona.

As repugnant as it is, I understand why people were in such denial about OJ back. Most of us all know now that the whole "nicest guy in the world" act is bull, but back then...it would be like finding out the Rock was an abuser. So I get it.

What I DON'T get was why the black women on the jury harbored resentment against Nicole for "stealing" a man from one of their own while OJ was held blameless. He was the one that dumped his wife and kids. It's just the same old "poor men are powerless against women" crap that's been going on for years.