Type keyword(s) to search

The Americans Merchandise: You Don't Have To Buy It On The Black Market

You can now buy a set of The Americans "nesting dolls", modeled on Russian/Eastern European "Matruschka" dolls--those dolls where the smallest goes inside the next largest, & so on, until all the smaller dolls are in the biggest--through the FX Network Online Store. I think they're kinda cool.

There are 4 in the set, depicting the members of the Jennings family. From smallest to largest: Henry, Paige, Philip, & Elizabeth.

I think it's interesting that, according to the picture, they seem to have made Elizabeth the largest of the 4 dolls, as opposed to Philip, since adult males are considered the heads of American families, when applicable, & (in my opinion) making Elizabeth the largest doll in the set could imply she's more the head of the Jennings family than Philip is. I don't know if that's meant to dovetail with normal Russian/Soviet Union-era family dynamics, it's meant as a commentary on Jennings family dynamics, or if it's just the way the manufacturer happened to make the set & it really means nothing. But I did find it interesting Philip--the alleged head of the family--apparently isn't the largest doll in the set.

Anyway... Here's the link, in case anyone's interested in seeing or buying them.

http://shop.fxnetworks.com/the-americans-family-nesting-dolls/detail.php?p=836062&v=fx_shows_the-americans

• Love 1

It looks to me like Philip is the largest.  He looks smaller in the picture because he's the one that's "open".  

The funniest thing to me is that on the FX website, they refer to him as Peter in the description.  How careless...

(edited)

The S3 DVDs were released in the US yesterday, Tuesday, March 1st.

ebk57: Hopefully, they did make Philip the largest of the nesting doll set. Like I said, that makes more sense to me, because of the way traditional American families are structured.

I didn't even notice the nesting dolls description called Philip "Peter" instead. I haven't been over to that page lately, but I hope they've fixed the error!

Edited by BW Manilowe

Okay, I have to say I'm annoyed. I very rarely buy any thing like this, but I did get the dolls (yes, Philip is the biggest!). Only my dolls arrived with Elizabeth shoved up inside Philip to the point where I can't get her out. I sent a note asking if they had any advice and looked online, but I think I may just have to send them back. That is, if they ever get back to me since I sent the stuff 2 days ago.

I saw a deleted scene on the DVD that was up online between Stan and Aderholdt, btw.

Okay, I have to say I'm annoyed. I very rarely buy any thing like this, but I did get the dolls (yes, Philip is the biggest!). Only my dolls arrived with Elizabeth shoved up inside Philip to the point where I can't get her out. I sent a note asking if they had any advice and looked online, but I think I may just have to send them back. That is, if they ever get back to me since I sent the stuff 2 days ago.

I saw a deleted scene on the DVD that was up online between Stan and Aderholdt, btw.

Oh man... I'd be annoyed about the doll issue too. I'd ask for a replacement set, if it were me.

I wanna order them, but I went on a big post-Christmas buying spree of, mostly, out of print CDs I've wanted for a long time (kinda a "get 'em before they're gone, not just out of print" thing), but I also finally bought the S1 & S2 DVD's, & my Mom got annoyed with me & would probably be more annoyed if I bought more stuff for awhile. So I think I'll hang back, keep my eye on them & get them when I can.

Oh man... I'd be annoyed about the doll issue too. I'd ask for a replacement set, if it were me.

I did hear back from them at last--they've shipped me a replacement set. I just have to send back the old ones when I get them. That was a happy result! (Hope these aren't stuck too-they need to be careful about how they back them or something!)

I did hear back from them at last--they've shipped me a replacement set. I just have to send back the old ones when I get them. That was a happy result! (Hope these aren't stuck too-they need to be careful about how they back them or something!)

Cool! I hope the new set's not stuck either. That would be crappy. Keep us posted.

From Amazon.com (in this case AmazonSmile; it has the same products as Amazon, but when you buy eligible products--which is still pretty much everything on Amazon--through AmazonSmile, 0.5% of your purchase price goes to the charity of your choice; you select your designated charity from a list they provide):

The Americans Season 5 DVDs are now available for pre-order through Amazon/AmazonSmile. They're $29.99 list price; 4 discs; due out on March 27, 2018 (the day before the final season premiere).

I don't have/Amazon doesn't have any info on whatever "bonus" material might be included. But Amazon does have 1 of their "Pre-Order Price Guarantee"s on the DVDs. That means, if the price changes (normally, goes down) between when you ordered them & the day of release, you'll be charged the lowest price instead of the price at the time you placed your order.

If you shop at Barnes & Noble, I can't find Season 5 there yet. They have other seasons though.

(edited)

Keri's shoes are size 6.

The jacket size is Small.

Wait, the boots are size 7.

???

ummmm, I have a friend with a birthday coming up....

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

A friend or a "friend"?

The former.

I also have a God Daughter that is probably exactly Elizabeth's size.

That first link isn't working for me anymore.  Anyone else?

Anyway, I found it here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1312.R1.TR10.TRC1.A0.H1.TRS1&_nkw=the+americans+auction&_sacat=0

Rhys' pant legs are only 28".  ! 

Martha's blouse is a 6P and her skirt is a 14.  I've always thought they padded her a little though. 

MV5BNzBiNzVjNmQtZWM4YS00NmVjLWE0NDEtYWZkalison-wright-at-creative-arts-emmy-awar

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Up to $69 now, and of course Elizabeth is the largest doll and poor Henry comes in last.

I'm annoyed they made these more elaborate dolls. I do have the set that was sold by FX. Philip's the outside doll in that one and they're not as detailed. It's also just the family, no Stan or Claudia.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Umbelina said:

s-l225.jpg

Up to $69 now, and of course Elizabeth is the largest doll and poor Henry comes in last.

1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

I'm annoyed they made these more elaborate dolls. I do have the set that was sold by FX. Philip's the outside doll in that one and they're not as detailed. It's also just the family, no Stan or Claudia.

If only we were Emmy voters. 

Edited by Kokapetl

Some of these auction items make me laugh and others make me sad because I feel like the FBI went through the Jennings' home, and rather than forward their clothes to Russia back in 1987 they just held on to them for 31 years and are now selling them on e-bay. All those nice shoes and bags and silk blouses of Elizabeth's!

This one made me laugh: Henry Jennings's black box with photos - the one with the photos of Sandra Beeman! 

They also have Stan's family photo album and Paige's bible. I wonder if the bible has the pages ripped out. 

• Love 5

I love how you can almost always easily tell whose clothes you're looking at without reading the description. Especially Martha's. She had a really clear style--as much as Elizabeth did, but of course it was very different. (Their wedding outfits couldn't be more different, of course.)

• Love 1
On 6/6/2018 at 8:55 PM, Umbelina said:

They've added a Costa Ronin suit!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-AMERICANS-OLEG-BUROV-COSTA-RONIN-SCREEN-WORN-SUIT-SHOES-TIE-BELT-EP-504/183260236113?hash=item2aab294951:g:By4AAOSweltbFvLF

Size 11 shoes

34" length on pants.

Martha's spy pen is over $300 now.

s-l225.jpg

Joel Fields Tweeted a pic of a set he said was on the counter at his mother's house. Henry's not in the set as photographed & people were commenting about him being missing, like he wasn't seen a lot on the show.

(edited)

I'm probably one of the few around who doesn't "do" ebay, or want to start.

If I did, I would honestly bid on something, probably one of Elizabeth's outfits, not to frame or keep, but to give to someone her size, just because they are cool and those boots!  Simply in a "great deals, in a upscale thrift market" way.  ;)

Edited by Umbelina
one not on
  • Love 2
(edited)

All the official ebay auctions quote a shipping price of $130 (I’m in Australia). Americans don’t know how good they have it. 

4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Joel Fields Tweeted a pic of a set he said was on the counter at his mother's house. Henry's not in the set as photographed & people were commenting about him being missing, like he wasn't seen a lot on the show.

He lost the Henry, probably forgot he even existed. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2

They have listed some of the outfits Elizabeth wore in season 4, when they were hiding Keri Russell's pregnancy. Based on the sizes, she was still so tiny! A Kid's Large vest in S4E08 (when they were playing hockey after the seven-month time jump) and an XS sweater and 12 petite pair of pants in S4E13.  Wow. 

And they listed Philip's old-man-in-McDonald's-en-route-to-Canada outfit, and Elizabeth's S6 smoking sweater. I wonder if it will smell like cigarettes. They should have included a flowerpot filled with butts too, lol. 

I couldn’t resist the Elizabeth jacket & boots... just. Could. Not.

I’m a lot shorter than Kerri, but we do wear same size...so we’ll see. I may end up donating them to an ALS auction a week after I would get them....it’s fun to think about wearing them though!

• Love 1

One thing that's funny about that auction is when I'm looking at the clothes every single time there's an outfit that most looks the youngest...it's Renee's.

I know part of it is because it's often her athletic wear, but still.

• Love 1
On 6/17/2018 at 6:15 AM, Bubbetv said:

I couldn’t resist the Elizabeth jacket & boots... just. Could. Not.

I’m a lot shorter than Kerri, but we do wear same size...so we’ll see. I may end up donating them to an ALS auction a week after I would get them....it’s fun to think about wearing them though!

Did you get them?

Sigh, no. They went crazy high over my limits...

still, it was fun to take the teasing from my friends and watch the competition going mad.

Thanks for asking! 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Bubbetv said:

Sigh, no. They went crazy high over my limits...

still, it was fun to take the teasing from my friends and watch the competition going mad.

Thanks for asking! 

How much did they go for?

I have to go do stuff, I'm going to check the auctions later though. 

They went over $300...not insane for leather, but I was afraid they'd be thin pleather -good film optics but junky actual textiles...so I bailed at $200...

I'd love it if the buyers would let us know how they enjoy the things they're getting!!

and pictures! 

• Love 1
On 7/4/2018 at 3:27 PM, Bubbetv said:

They went over $300...not insane for leather, but I was afraid they'd be thin pleather -good film optics but junky actual textiles...so I bailed at $200...

I'd love it if the buyers would let us know how they enjoy the things they're getting!!

and pictures! 

Is this the jacket you bid on? I follow Nicole Cliffe on IG and she won it: 

image.thumb.png.f254e0c48022c3dc6ff72777c27a97b2.png

• Love 2

Yes, Janc, that was the jacket!! Oh and it looks great for her! Oh I wish I could have it too-but I’m so glad she likes it and she will rock it! 

Thanks for posting that! ?

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From Amazon.com: Season 6 DVDs Are Available for Pre-Order

NO release date listed yet, but they're $29.98.

This will be the first show I've loved where I didn't purchase all of the seasons of DVDs.  I have 1-4 and still enjoy them, but not a chance I'm buying 5 or 6.  Technically, I own them to stream on Amazon anyway, but I won't be streaming them either, certainly not in the near future, if ever watching a single episode again, let alone either of those entire seasons.  It would make me sick.

This show's "ending" left such a completely bad taste for me.  I know it's boring to hear, sorry about that, but I'm so completely pissed at what they did with what was, once, years ago, one of my favorite shows.

I just can't suspend all logic, and so much was so completely unnecessary.  I could have made do with just a tiny bit of effort from the writers to reconcile emotion and logic.

Also, their DVDs have no extras, and frankly, that's one reason I do buy them, I love the extras.

Edited by Umbelina
(edited)

According to this, the 6th & final season will be released on DVD (only) on October 23rd.

And there WILL be extras. For those who don't wanna scroll all the way down to where they talk about the 10/23 DVDs (which is pretty far), the linked info says there will be Deleted Scenes, a Gag Reel, Inside Looks - First Look, The New Agent, Double Agents, The Jennings, Hidden Messages, The 80's, Favorite Scenes, Saying Goodbye.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To move a parenthesis.
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

And there WILL be extras. For those who don't wanna scroll all the way down to where they talk about the 10/23 DVDs (which is pretty far), the linked info says there will be Deleted Scenes, a Gag Reel, Inside Looks - First Look, The New Agent, Double Agents, The Jennings, Hidden Messages, The 80's, Favorite Scenes, Saying Goodbye.

A lot of those were online, I think. It's kind of like getting commercials for the upcoming season on the DVD. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The Americans T-Shirt (& Other Shirt Types) with Show Photos & Printed Autographs of Matthew & Keri

The catch is, you can only get the shirt until TOMORROW, JANUARY 2ND. In the ad on Facebook, which I can’t (or can’t figure out how to) link to, Keri is pictured holding the T-shirt (And they have similar shirts for other pop culture-type phenomena/icons).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add italics to a TV show title.
On 01/01/2019 at 6:56 PM, BW Manilowe said:

The Americans T-Shirt (& Other Shirt Types) with Show Photos & Printed Autographs of Matthew & Keri

The catch is, you can only get the shirt until TOMORROW, JANUARY 2ND. In the ad on Facebook, which I can’t (or can’t figure out how to) link to, Keri is pictured holding the T-shirt (And they have similar shirts for other pop culture-type phenomena/icons).

Whaaaa! I missed it.