Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, oakville said:

Elise should apologize to Mika & Joe for not having any of there books on her shelf. Why does she have a black pig on her bookshelf ?

Elise wants the subpoena's to be enforced.

Joe said Congress should enforce the subpoenas.

Joe said law students ask him about subpoenas being enforced.

Biden is meeting with Senators to get a reconciliation deal. Mancin opposes clean energy provisions in the Biden plan.

Joe likes the debates over infrastructure.

Joe said it is a return to normalcy as opposed to Trump trying to overthrow the government.

Joe supports Madisonian Democracy.

Mancin posed for pictures with Bernie Sanders !

Hi Oakville...

Is it true that Senator Manchin owns a coal business?
If yes, it certainly would impact his position on climate change initiatives.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, grommit2 said:

Hi Oakville...

Is it true that Senator Manchin owns a coal business?
If yes, it certainly would impact his position on climate change initiatives.

Yes, he he does receive dividends from a coal company, Enersystems that he founded prior to entering public life but Morning Joe didn't disclose this.

https://www.salon.com/2021/10/02/joe-manchin-has-made-52m-from-his-coal-company--and-gets-big-donations-from-fossil-fuel-industry_partner/

Senator Mancin is a friend of the show so they usually don't disclose any conflict of interests that he may have with respect potential legislation.

• Love 1

Joe is in NYC in studio by himself today (!), Mika in Florida

Lemire got #metoo'ed by Joe

Lemire, Richard Haas & Joe went Out! On! The! Town! last night, which i think means they sat in Chesterfields and sipped Old-fashioneds until 8 p.m.

hungover! joe! going in on voting rights, good for him

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I tuned in this morning around 8:45; according to Meeka, Andrew Lloyd Webber was going to be the next guest.  Was Joe there today?  Is anyone watching?

Joe had the day off. Mika & Willie agreed to appear on the show.

Mika was upset about Alec Baldwin killing a cinematagropher & wounding the director by using a prop gun. 

Willie said that Baldwin did not intentionally use the gun to kill her & that it was an accident.

14 minutes ago, jacourt said:

Man,two days with two responses. My schedule has been thrown off having my granddaughter stay for the week but no one else is watching?  Even worse is it that boring?  

Sadly, the show isn't "must watch tv" anymore.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe had the day off. Mika & Willie agreed to appear on the show.

Mika was upset about Alec Baldwin killing a cinematagropher & wounding the director by using a prop gun. 

Willie said that Baldwin did not intentionally use the gun to kill her & that it was an accident.

Sadly, the show isn't "must watch tv" anymore.

I didn't watch the show at all until Thursday when Joe and Jonathan Lemire whined and complained about their beloved Red Sox losing to the Astros. They spent at least 15 minutes on this before diggng into the news. Disgusted and tired of listening to Joe and Jonathan I turned off the TV and did not watch today. I have to say, I don't miss it and find that listening to my morning radio show is far better than watching Joe and company.

I did catch a glimpse of Jonathan Lemire on Way Too Early...OMG! He looks awful...pasty faced with huge bags under his eyes. And he is a terrible newsreader...he screwed up something on the teleprompter in the middle of reading it and asked for the prompter to go back to the line he screwed up. I get the feeling that Joe had final say in who he wanted to take Way Too Early over and he lobbied for Lemire, his Red Sox drinking buddy. Honestly, I thought the best person for this spot was Katy Kay...she can read a teleprompter without messing it up, did the news like pro and didn't spend a minute covering a baseball game.

• Love 4

it is getting harder to watch every day, I missed Monday and Tuesday. I had to leave super early on Fri so only caught the first half hr.

for some reason Mika and Willie always seem very stressed when they're on their own? it's funny how you can basically tell within the first 5 seconds what kind of a show it's gonna be, just from the energy.

---> if anyone DVR'ed, Thursday's show was pretty good? Susan del P was there!! There was an interesting discussion with Jeh Johnson. Also at one point joe said he and jeb bush should form a southern border task force, Johnson said he'd rather be eaten alive by crocodiles. Joe insisted and Johnson said he'd rather vacation mid-winter in Siberia, then Joe insisted again and Johnson's whole face was like "get the crazy man away from meeeee" lmao. hungover! joe! holding court at the table was pretty amusing. He did some soliloquizing on voting rights but for once it was actually warranted and he didn't yell

Katty is over-qualified for WTE.

Lemire's not that bad tbh, my only objection to him is that he's not Kasie *sad violins*...and to his credit, Lemire was in the nyc studio on MJ on Fri - for some reason I always feel kinda relieved when someone is there to welcome the guests, i feel so bad for them when they sit there alone at the table at looking totally confused

Edited by neona2
  • Love 4

I had lunch yesterday with a friend; she is one of the few left from my ... what Mr. Kemper used to call my "coven" ... she was rabidly politically active, now about to get her first great-grandchild.  Still trying to mellow out.  We discussed MJ; she used to never miss it, started with the flirting, slap-and-tickle days.  She has basically dropped it these last months; and we discussed why.  

We hate turning on the tv in the mornings because the landscape all around is depressing.  Same news every single day. My friend tunes to CNN instead of MJ because she can get more actual news that isn't political.  Is this why our years-long thread here is dying?  Watching MJ is soul-crushing in many ways.  Entitled rich pundits, sitting around pontificating or rehashing their glory days.  No real fire in them; they are fat and happy. Also - it seems like many on MJ have committed the cardinal sin - getting chummy with newsmakers.

Joe worked his usual 4-day week?  Has no one from management noticed this?😎 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, jacourt said:

Even worse is it that boring?  

Yes,

I flipped by a couple of times this week and once saw the Duo in a split screen...Mika in her black sweater. Another day, Mika alone, in the black sweater, introducing a national, taped piece by NBC. They never to rarely used such stories in the past but they seem to rely on them more and more now...easy filler, I guess. Maybe even the usual suspects are bored to death, too, and won't come on to just sit there and get lectured to by Joe. I continue to read the posts here but don't comment since there are only so many ways to say "I hate this worthless show" and I used up my allotment years ago. I held out hope it would get better but it seems they've lost the will to make it such. Joe's wrapped up in his podcast (and the glam shots to advertise it) and Mika is just Mika. Any word on her Peacock show? She's lost all the momentum she had as the flirty vixen and her sham women's thing has pretty much lost it's luster (did it have any?!) She just needs to go away and give the younger women she was once committed to mentoring a chance at the big time...maybe just stick to "Ooh's and Aahs" on Joe's podcast; no thinking or teleprompter reading required.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, jacourt said:

Man,two days with two responses. My schedule has been thrown off having my granddaughter stay for the week but no one else is watching?  Even worse is it that boring?  

I think there are many people who do not think the show is boring; they just don't come to this Board! Or site! 😁  But I do think you are right - we are bored with the same old same old; that may be one of the reasons why so many posts lately have been more critical of The Twins and their sidekicks.  And why so many of us (maybe just me?) have turned into being more critical and snarky. I have become a mean girl with some of my comments; my children would be horrified; the Grands...entranced. But I do miss everyone coming here to add their two cents. The bloom is off the rose. 

Edited by Kemper
spelling error
  • Love 4

Things I don't like:

- Mika dressed in the black shroud

- Joe's constant yapping

- Eugene Robinson talking about anything.  Can't' stand his voice

- Jonathan Lemire's stink face

- Al Sharpton looking emaciated and like he just crawled out of a casket

I'm sure there are more things but these immediately come to mind and why I watch CNN mostly now. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I was thinking of doing a recap of the show one day based on the guest list without watching it & comparing it to what actually occurred.  Mika & Joe's talking points are very predictable. 

Joe's cronies are also very repetitive.

I wonder if they will get a contract extension for the 2022 midterms ?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, oakville said:

I wonder if they will get a contract extension for the 2022 midterms ?

I would bet that they have already signed an extension; Joe is riding high.  He has the podcast; he hardly ever works a 5-day week anymore.  He gets up in the mornings, gets to stay in his house and do a 2 1/2 hour remote Wayne's World show.  He has reliable guests that can do the heavy lifting; he gets to discuss his passions - soccer, the Red Sox and music.  He is a"brand" at the network- the wise sage.  He can sip his coffee while ranting and riffing - sometimes seemingly off the top of his head.  His show beats CNN.  He and Meeka (solely through marriage) will have a show as long as they want it.  

I am not saying that doing a live, 3-hour show, M-F starting at 6 a.m. is easy.  It is probably a grind and burns one out at some point.  I think we are seeing the result of this.  But Joe's ego will always require a platform.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, neona2 said:

it is getting harder to watch every day, I missed Monday and Tuesday. I had to leave super early on Fri so only caught the first half hr.

for some reason Mika and Willie always seem very stressed when they're on their own? it's funny how you can basically tell within the first 5 seconds what kind of a show it's gonna be, just from the energy.

---> if anyone DVR'ed, Thursday's show was pretty good? Susan del P was there!! There was an interesting discussion with Jeh Johnson. Also at one point joe said he and jeb bush should form a southern border task force, Johnson said he'd rather be eaten alive by crocodiles. Joe insisted and Johnson said he'd rather vacation mid-winter in Siberia, then Joe insisted again and Johnson's whole face was like "get the crazy man away from meeeee" lmao. hungover! joe! holding court at the table was pretty amusing. He did some soliloquizing on voting rights but for once it was actually warranted and he didn't yell

Katty is over-qualified for WTE.

Lemire's not that bad tbh, my only objection to him is that he's not Kasie *sad violins*...and to his credit, Lemire was in the nyc studio on MJ on Fri - for some reason I always feel kinda relieved when someone is there to welcome the guests, i feel so bad for them when they sit there alone at the table at looking totally confused

Katy Kay may be overqualified but at the moment she doesn't have a full time gig anywhere to my understanding. It must be me...I just cannot stand Lemire and feel he's better suited to being White House Correspondent. He just doesn't have the demeanor or the experience in being a solo anchor on live TV. Would it hurt MSNBC to find a decent looking guy to host this show? 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Kemper said:

I am not saying that doing a live, 3-hour show, M-F starting at 6 a.m. is easy.  It is probably a grind and burns one out at some point.  I think we are seeing the result of this.  But Joe's ego will always require a platform.

It always seems like the third hour is a repeat of hour one, sometimes with a new opening five minutes.  But even two hours is a lot of time to fill.

I think the current problem compared with the past is that they have transitioned out of the studio, to the ridiculous boxes even when Mika/Joe could sit together on a home set.  And the many number of days when it is Mika *or* Joe has increased.  If they got back in the studio, interacted, and reclaimed some part of the dynamic of the earlier years, there would be more to engage this audience member.  And a lot of this lack of engagement started BEFORE the pandemic.  

Jonathan Lemire seems to be on the air constantly, starting at 5:00 AM and going late in the day.  If he looks tired, at least he earned it.  It's Joe who makes sports the opening topic, so I can't fault Lemire for trying to stay on the good side of anyone who can help him get a better gig.  

• Love 4

So Joe knew that Trump took an unhealthy amount of joy in the knowledge that his people would kill for him, and he let it slide for the next few months?

And not just “Knew,” as in “I heard this from a guy who knows a guy,” but from a personal interaction with the man?

WTAF, Joe?

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, revbfc said:

So Joe knew that Trump took an unhealthy amount of joy in the knowledge that his people would kill for him, and he let it slide for the next few months?

And not just “Knew,” as in “I heard this from a guy who knows a guy,” but from a personal interaction with the man?

WTAF, Joe?

Yeah, as much as I'm glad (and enraged whilst watching) MJ is continuing to cover January 6th the fact Joe heard this and then mentioned to Mika 'hmm blind ignorance seems to please Trump' (PARAPHRASING) and STILL kept going to Mar a lago for wedge salads is too much.

MJ has been giving a a lot of coverage to that awful shooting; 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, chick binewski said:

Yeah, as much as I'm glad (and enraged whilst watching) MJ is continuing to cover January 6th the fact Joe heard this and then mentioned to Mika 'hmm blind ignorance seems to please Trump' (PARAPHRASING) and STILL kept going to Mar a lago for wedge salads is too much.

MJ has been giving a a lot of coverage to that awful shooting; 

I haven`t watched the show yet. Did Joe visit with President Trump at Mar a Largo this year ?

Edited by oakville
  • Love 2

There was a fawning piece on Mediaite this morning about Jonathan Lemire.  Did he actually joke that he was gunning for Joe's job? I always really liked him until the last year or so; mainly because he has seemed to always be agreeing with Joe.  Joe, You Are So Right! But this sounds like a good career move for him.

And now Joe is in the position of being King Maker; and Meeka can take credit for Kasie. 

Edited by Kemper
spelling error
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, oakville said:

I haven`t watched the show yet. Did Joe visit with President Trump at Mar a Largo this year ?

Joe was talking about a meeting he had with Trump prior to becoming President.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, oakville said:

No! (At least I freaking hope not.) Joe was referencing a time during the 2016 campaign when Trump acolytes were causing a kerfuffle and Trump gave Joe one of his throwaway 'it's incredible that I could shoot somebody and not lose voters' lines. And Joe STILL didn't realize he was standing in the middle of a biohazardous red flag farm.

I don't believe they gave much if any time to the Tina Polsky story today even though they covered DeSantis' latest ridiculous proposal. 

Edited by chick binewski
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, revbfc said:

Joe was talking about a meeting he had with Trump prior to becoming President.

It just goes to show how thirsty Joe was to be around what he perceived as the real action. No matter who it was or how dangerous the action was. 

• Love 1

Jonathan Lemire had teased that "Way Too Early" would be in the news today, so I assumed it meant he would be the new host.  Mika's reaction was so, so odd.  Joe was trying to be supportive and tie it into the Red Sox (of course), and said he was very pleased for Jonathan.  Then Mika said, "*I'll* be pleased if you don't screw it up."   Even Jonathan could not hide his surprise at the swipe, and he took a sentence to say it would be a fun take on some news, but that he wanted to bring in hard news and leading political guests.  Then he looked at Mika and said, "I also will be pleased if I don't 'screw it up'."  

9 hours ago, oakville said:
Lemire is the new host of Way Too Early for Red Sox fans.

hmm so I guess now it's official? well. I think as long as he remembers to en-un-ci-ate, breeeeeeaaaaathe and lay off the adderall, he'll be fine.

also! Lemire gets points in my book today for knowing the meaning of words ----> "the misinformation was picked up, manipulated and used in Russian disinformation efforts" the mis! and the dis! *chef's kiss*

Mika was in studio in DC Rivendell today!! also doing breast cancer awareness month, good for her. I noticed Ed Luce wearing a pink tie the other day and I was impressed with him. Florida Boxman Joe was in Florida. weirdly he was in studio in NYC one day last week sans Mika and now Mika is in studio sans Joe, teh shenanigans will never not be confusing.

Anyhoo! it's now day 4 of the Baldwin drama, which is a tragedy, but the long-ass disproportionate coverage is nuts, they made it sound like we're all gonna have sleepless! anguished! nights! because we have to wait until Wednesday for a press conference. I...whaaa...? I honestly feel like i'm missing something.

Rivendell! Mika! had a great conversation with Bob & Bob & John in the 8 a.m. hour. Bob & Bob are cute! Costa is basically a Woodward mini-me

Woodward says the scariest shit in the calmest possible way, I'm convinced he's the type of grandfather who tells his grandkids the original versions of the brothers grimm fairy tales....*calm voice*... "and then, little Timmy, the doves violently pecked out the eyes of Cinderella's stepsisters..." 

On 10/24/2021 at 12:16 AM, oakville said:

I was thinking of doing a recap of the show one day based on the guest list without watching it & comparing it to what actually occurred.  Mika & Joe's talking points are very predictable. 

omg please do this! A blind recap!! ...Oracle! Oakville! we are here for it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, freddi said:

Jonathan Lemire had teased that "Way Too Early" would be in the news today, so I assumed it meant he would be the new host.  Mika's reaction was so, so odd.  Joe was trying to be supportive and tie it into the Red Sox (of course), and said he was very pleased for Jonathan.  Then Mika said, "*I'll* be pleased if you don't screw it up."   Even Jonathan could not hide his surprise at the swipe, and he took a sentence to say it would be a fun take on some news, but that he wanted to bring in hard news and leading political guests.  Then he looked at Mika and said, "I also will be pleased if I don't 'screw it up'."  

I think Mika is upset that Kasie's contract demands were not met & she had to go to CNN to Know Her Value.  Kasie acknowledged being a Baltimore Orioles fan which Joe could not approve.

Joe was able to convince MSNBC to hire a fellow Red Sox fan & someone who agrees with him on all issues.

Frankly, I believe the network should have payed Kasie Hunt enough money to stay at the network. She is much more versatile & worked throughout the day for NBC & MSNBC.

• Love 3

Joe is pushing conspiracies    It’s a small department the indignation is phony. Does it matter what kind of gun was used. He was gory details. Now the face book problem. This is so repetitious I’m out 

• Love 8

Tuned in at the beginning of the show today, expecting to hear Joe wax poetically about his Days In Congress. Late last night all the news was about Manchin apparently ready to sign off on The Infrastructure Bill. But instead heard a lengthy discussion on the movie shooting. Meanwhile, there was a shooting yesterday at a mall in Boise.  Two dead and four injured. One of the injured was a policeman.

Now Joe is doing his prerecorded rant on Facebook. Zuckerberg = Robber Baron! The news about Facebook is pretty damning; it doesn’t need The Twins using it as a vanity piece to boost their profiles. Just the facts would be nice.

• Love 5

Tuned back in at 7:00. There was Lemire, sitting at a desk, interviewing some lady. He is going to get tiresome very quickly.  But at least he seems to be working for his salary. And I think I heard earlier that he is writing a book. Because…why wouldn’t he.

Tuned in to CNN and who do they have on? Al Franken!  He discussed Facebook without hysteria. Joe would never allow this.

Edited by Kemper
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, freddi said:

Then Mika said, "*I'll* be pleased if you don't screw it up." 

Why am I not surprised? She's so bitchy. First off, Mika, you are the last person to be judging "screwing up", dear. We have been subject to your mastery of this for years. Secondly, accept the fact that Kasie took another job with a better financial/career package. Just because you and she pretended that you "mentored" her doesn't mean that she's indebted to you forever...remember that she (seemingly) was able to negotiate a better deal elsewhere, without her cohost/romantic interest intervening. Holding Lemire's feet to the fire over that is so petty. I don't watch enough to pass much judgment on him but I must say he looks exhausted, like his eyes are propped open with toothpicks...as we used to say.

• Love 4

There was an interesting panel discussion about people wanting to continue working from home, vs. people wanting to go back to the office.  Then, of course, Mika had to throw in her KYV stuff and started yammering about "wimmin" wanting to stay home.  Wimmin wimmin wimmin. 

• LOL 4
4 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Then, of course, Mika had to throw in her KYV stuff and started yammering about "wimmin" wanting to stay home.  Wimmin wimmin wimmin. 

Look how well that's working for you, Meeks. Your show has been dreadful since you started doing it. 

• Love 5

I'm pretty sure Mika is just trolling Lemire, like she trolls Donny... I think it's funny but then again i laugh at literally everything when I'm sleep-deprived, it's embarrassing, so ymmv

I was so excited this morning when I saw Rivendell! Mika at the table! with our queen Katty! and Eugene! buuuut then 90% of the first hour was basically a split screen of Florida Boxman Joe and Hellscape Willie, doing some dull-ass low-energy backseat driving, I mean whyyyyy? when one of the main hosts was literally there, in the studio, with guests all ready to have an actual conversation old MJ style *cries* Katty and Mika were in the same room! and the last time Eugene was at that table he ended up loudly shouting that Marjorie Taylor Green needs to "remember that she's a grown-ass woman!", it was awesome. 

ugh I'm so mad at Joe and Willie for literally eating up the precious DC studio time

ETA: okay I watched the last hour when i got home and it did kinda improve. Elizabeth Warren brought the energy!! Her entire self is just movement and light and vitality

Edited by neona2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, neona2 said:

I was so excited this morning when I saw Rivendell! Mika at the table! with our queen Katty! and Eugene! buuuut then 90% of the first hour was basically a split screen [snip]  when one of the main hosts was literally there, in the studio, with guests all ready to have an actual conversation old MJ style *cries* Katty and Mika were in the same room! 

ugh I'm so mad at Joe and Willie for literally eating up the precious DC studio time

Yes, they were in the studio Monday, also (Mika was with others, not Joe, of course); I was not sure if they had been doing that prior to Monday, so kept quiet!  It really makes a difference to see them at a table talking.  

ETA:  Oy, Jonathan Lemire is now on the 11th Hour with Brian Williams -- so will get about two hours of sleep before he is back with the Morning Joe club.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 2

I’m assuming no joe. Lemurs is working all day all the time and is prepared. Joe comes on and yells and then takes off. It’s glaring. Eddie just made good points then they switch to Mika. No interaction about what he said. It’s so annoying. It’s like having people just yapping to themselves. Eddie lemire  and I think Willie are in studio. Use them. It’s so much better when people are face to face and talking. 

• Love 4

No Joe today? Another 4-day week? It would seem he is a part-timer on his own show. Meeka telling us that we will all be reading Punchbowl News as she is sporting a sweater/drape two sizes too big. And chirpily telling us about the Nor’Easter hitting the east coast.

I am begging the network to scale back Lemire; I am sick to death of him. But he does help lighten The Twins’ load by doing their jobs for them. And now Meeka is stumbling through The Prop Gun Story; with a loud, long sigh. Also - she appears to be squinting while reading the prompter. Could that be the problem? Get some glasses! 

• Love 4

Tuned back in at 7:30. Joe is now present; Lemire just told Sam Stein that he just realized that Stein is his boss. Lots of boxes with the usual suspects. Never a new guest.

Meanwhile, over at CNN, the author of The Social Network was a guest. Brianna K conducted a great interview. Next, a fun story on Tom Brady’s epic 600th touchdown pass. This morning show is head and shoulders better than MJ; perhaps some day they will have the ratings to prove it.

• Love 3

i was just thinking it was nice to have a break from Joe and then Mika started yelling gaaaaah. ugh I don't like when it's all stressful.

Enjoying the boys at the table though

I wonder if Curtis Sliwa realizes that if he rotates his beret 90 degrees it's basically a Phrygian cap. If he ripped his shirt open he'd be Marianne!!

ETA: omg the cats! he's hilarious

Edited by neona2
  • Love 3

Holy balls Curtis tells a cat story and all of a sudden MJ doesn't give any pushback to his objection to vaccines for essential workers.The only way MJ will win me back today is if they make a Jonathan! reference during the Danny Strong interview.

Also, that cat is huge.

ETA: actually Strong's interview was really good. I suffer from chronic pain and Danny's breakdown of what oxy does was spot on. Even Joe's personal story was relevant.

Edited by chick binewski
  • Love 2

I clicked upon this morning's show just as Curtis Sliwa was talking. I actually enjoyed having a fresh face and a fresh perspective. I was happy that the panel let him speak without yelling and interrupting. But then, Joe and Mika showed up and I was out...Mika mugging with that monster cat; yeah, okay, Sliwa's a cat guy, but, of course Mika had to insert herself into it. Like show and tell and her usual one ups-man-ship...and so juvenile. Trivializing the whole segment and insulting to their guest, IMO. Reminded me somewhat of her running her fingers through Trump's hair.

I often wonder if Willie regrets using his nickname as his professional name...because he really owns this show...but the concept of Morning Willie...Geist and Guests, as was previously discussed, sounds better every day.

• Love 3