Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Eliot said:

Bob Woodward has been an internationally famous reporter for more than half a century. Why has he never learned how to pronounce the word “nuclear”?

I know; then you have the droning voice. But I am so very glad that he is still in the game. And also am very happy to see Robert Costa again!

I thought the interview went well - both authors have got to be exhausted with the media blitz. Joe is a natural at this when he isn’t trying to insert himself into the story. You could see Meeka reading her questions off the teleprompter - her eyes were darting back and forth! And then there was her very audible sigh when interviewing the French Ambassador; and then the snickering “yeah” towards the end. Again, Joe did an excellent interview -  no ranting or condescension with the ambassador.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

How was the interview with the French Ambassador?  How was the dispute framed by the show?  What was the resolution?
I had it on mute as I clicked around on my phone.

I will have to watch this segment later today.

Joe is considered to be an expert on submarine procurement after watching the critically acclaimed movie, "The Hunt for Red October". Mika likes France & got engaged to Joe when they visited the country in 2017. 

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, Lowcountry snark said:

How was the interview with the French Ambassador?

I actually happened to click upon this at apparently the start and had to stop a minute. Who thought it was a good idea for Mika to ask a question? She didn't ask it, she read it, with her head down, looking at her script. Even added a "you know" in her prepared question. No sense that she was at all familiar with what she was saying. It was no different from career day at school where the 4th graders "ask" questions of the dog catcher...yet Mika is pawned off as a journalist. I will continue my boycott.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Who thought it was a good idea for Mika to ask a question?

Mind boggling.  Her brother is an ambassador.  She did nothing to prepare to interview France's ambassador to the US?
I watched Good Morning Britain on ITV/BritBox yesterday, and they succinctly and fully covered the issue with France, educating me to a huge degree on what's going on.  It's not Biden's fault (although they mocked him for being old), it's France's fault.  They have old submarine technology that is now no longer appropriate for Australia to employ as a deterrent to China.  Joe Biden has nothing to do with it, but here in the states it seems as if he is to blame for upsetting France... the story here is that France is upset and oh no.  Not that Australia now needs nuclear subs as protection from China... and the US just closed a $90bn deal.

Watching the start of the 7:00 hour - what a different show with everyone sitting around the desk.  Heilemann! Donny D (who is not irritating!), Willie, and Al Sharpton. This is what made the show so good to watch back-in-the-day. The body language between The Twins was comfort and mutual affection. The Emmy discussion was fun, them talking about their favorite shows was so very nice to watch. The easiness they all have with one another was obvious and made for almost a half-hour of good tv. And I learned something… Al Sharpton is 66 years old! Is it just me who thought he was mid-70s?  Too bad we can’t have this more often. Such a break from ranting and politics. And no Jonathan Lemire!

Edited by Kemper
Spelling error
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

The discussion of the Emmy’s was fun, them talking about their favorite shows was so very nice to watch...Al Sharpton is 66 years old!

Had just watched a piece on Missing White Girl Syndrome re:Gabby Petito over on CNN, then tuned in to see 5 out of 6 panelists participating in a discussion of White People TV without even a mention of Debbie Allen's honor. Al looked bored.

• Love 1

20 minutes of lightness was a mood lifter for me. Lord knows, in these times it can be sorely needed.  But I know it may not be for everyone, considering these are News shows. And no one was plugging a book! 

Edited by Kemper
  • Love 2

Watched about 20 minutes of this show today...couldn't take anymore after that. Joe was particularly obnoxious today bloviating about the drama queen antics of the French and yelling at Mika when she tried to get a word in edge wise...that was disturbing and nauseating. I'm no fan of Mika but she was being bullied and silenced by her verbally domineering lout of a husband. The minute she offered up an opinion, she was interrupted and yelled at by Joe...he shut her down and she stopped talking. If I could, I would have reached through the TV and punched that asshole right in the face. Clearly, Mika doesn't know her worth if she allows her husband to publicly belittle and embarass her on national TV. Disgraceful.

• Love 5

I can’t stand when Mika is trying to do the news headlines and joe interrupts her and talks over her. He doesn’t let her finish a sentence. It is insulting. If Mika really knew her value she would get up and walk off. Was it today that she said a joke about joe having to wear pants now that they are in the studio?  It was so forced. How long do you think she waited to use that stale line?  

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, jacourt said:

I can’t stand when Mika is trying to do the news headlines and joe interrupts her and talks over her. He doesn’t let her finish a sentence. It is insulting. If Mika really knew her value she would get up and walk off. Was it today that she said a joke about joe having to wear pants now that they are in the studio?  It was so forced. How long do you think she waited to use that stale line?  

Joe is a jerk. Their off camera relationship is effecting their on camera relationship. It wouldn’t surprise me if she divorces him In a few years…like his other ex wives did.

• Love 3

I am curious about how much time they will actually be in studio.  Must be a trade off for the podcast and Morning Mika. Still can’t believe that one.

I am shocked that anyone is surprised at how he runs right over her during the show. It has been going on for years; she lets it happen.  He is a bully and she is passive aggressive. A perfect match. I do wonder what his other wives were like.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Watched about 20 minutes of this show today...couldn't take anymore after that. Joe was particularly obnoxious today bloviating about the drama queen antics of the French and yelling at Mika when she tried to get a word in edge wise...that was disturbing and nauseating. 

The way he leaned back like she had cooties and just nope'd her really bugged. I just wish Mika was a better reporter bc "is there something else going on?" is a question I wish MJ would explore more often.

Idk why but my Mika affection is still carrying over from last week, even though I'm positive she introduced "Justin Lemire" yesterday (I'm pretty sure she said "50 Cents" this morning but I'm going with she was using the possessive when Joe interrupted her). 

• Love 3

Keeper what you say is true. Do viewers need to see this dysfunctional relationship every day? That’s not the way to start the day. I don’t need to see a married couple playing tit for tat games with each other. 

• Love 5

Since I only watched the snippet from 7:00 til about 7:20 I must have seen a different show than the other 2 1/2 hours. Give or take.  They were sitting close, laughing together, perfectly in harmony. (as the artist who was painting Simon and Daphne’s portrait said -“the very picture of devotion”) That was the most relaxed and happy I have seen Meeka  in maybe years - glad to be out of Florida? Oh, wait. 🤓

• Love 3

Wednesday recap with wine.

The show began with a clip from the Jimmy Kimmel show September 25, 2020 making fun of President Trump being booed at Justice RBG's funeral.

Joe joked about being in the NYC studio since the Suez Canal crisis.

Mika is wearing a form fitting burgundy top & Joe is wearing a tie that Harry Potter wore when he was part the House of Slytherin.

Joe talked about Bianca Jagger riding a horse in Studio 54.

Mika joked about Joe wearing pants.

Mika started drinking coffee from Dunkin Donuts.

Joe mocked Connor McGregor for throwing a first pitch that mised the plate.

Joe made fun of President Obama badly throwing out the first pitch. Joe couldn't believe that Obama was re elected after that pitch.

Joe mentioned the Blue Jays being in the wild card spot!!!!

Lemire said the Blue jays are 16-4 in September.

Joe was surprised that the French weren't notified by the USA about the submarine contract.

Joe said that diesel submarines are noisier than his lobster boat

• Love 2

Richard Haas said France should be part of the Australian UK USA alliance against China.

Haas would have offered France a consolation prize.

Joe called the decision bush league.

Anne Gearan said the French were mad and recalled their ambassador.

Joe said this never happened when DeGaulle was President.

Joe wants the USA to do a make good for France.

So far, this reminds me of Morning Joe at its peak with an interesting discussion of world affairs.

Joe said Macron & Biden met at the G7 summit in Cornwall  & Macron was happy that Biden was trying to repair the USA European alliance after Trump.

Haas said US officials kept quiet about the submarine deal.

Mika asked a relevant uestion about whether or not the French should have been surprised.

The right wing in France could benefit from France being snubbed by the USA. It will help Le Pen. Le Pen would be like Trump.

Joe said if Trump did this there would be an outcry.

Joe started shouting about the USA stabbing France in the back.

Joe shouted at Mika when she tried to defend the bad submarine from France which are noisy and polluting.

Haas called Biden Trumpian for his UN speech on  democracy.

Willie said Biden has competent diplomats who could have warned Biden.

Mika said there is more to the story & tried to defend Biden.

Joe mocked Mika for not understanding the situation.

Mika said she would go to the White House to get answers. Joe will be going to Boston to watch the Red Sox.

The show switched to Guiliani wearing hair dye spilling over his face. Trump campaign knew about voting machines not rigging the election.

• Love 3

Joe said that Guiliani would never repeat the false claims about the election in the courts because he would be disbarred.

Sidney Powell claimed that Democrats murdered people in Georgia to stop the audit ?

What ?

Gov Kemp' daughter's boyfriend was killed after the election. Yikes !

Joe compared this to the Seth Rich scandal. Joe called it grotesue.

Mika leaned into Joe a few times.

• Love 2

Joe said Giuiani is doing infomercials for Mr. Pillow.

Joe mocked Guiliani for lying on his bed trying to seduce a young girl during the Borat movie.

Mika closed her eyes & said OMG .

Mika mispronounced Fifty Cent name. She called him Fifty Cents.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Heilmann joked about Mika & Joe dungeons. Joe said he was in an undisclosed location.

Al was happy. Donnie's daughter will be celebrating her 18th birthday.

Donnie is turning 64 & complained about people calling him Sir.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Since I only watched the snippet from 7:00 til about 7:20 I must have seen a different show than the other 2 1/2 hours. Give or take.  They were sitting close, laughing together, perfectly in harmony. (as the artist who was painting Simon and Daphne’s portrait said -“the very picture of devotion”) That was the most relaxed and happy I have seen Meeka  in maybe years - glad to be out of Florida? Oh, wait. 🤓

Agreed. There was good chemistry this morning among all the guests. Mika & Joe were in a good mood.

Joe's issue with tinitus may explain his abscence from the show.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, oakville said:

Richard Haas said France should be part of the Australian UK USA alliance against China.

Haas would have offered France a consolation prize.

Joe called the decision bush league.

Anne Gearan said the French were mad and recalled their ambassador.

Joe said this never happened when DeGaulle was President.

Joe wants the USA to do a make good for France.

So far, this reminds me of Morning Joe at its peak with an interesting discussion of world affairs.

Funny, I don't watch the show for more than 20-30 minutes a day, but I was thinking yesterday that the discussion fo the French submarines was the most interesting thing I've seen in a couple of years on the show.

• Love 2

Mika is absolutely chirpy this morning.  She's at the White House.  Does anyone know why?  And I'll tell you the weather is horrible here:  windy , rainy with some thunder.  But Mika is sticking it  out. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, jacourt said:

Mika is absolutely chirpy this morning.  She's at the White House.  Does anyone know why?  And I'll tell you the weather is horrible here:  windy , rainy with some thunder.  But Mika is sticking it  out. 

That was weird, right? Completely random. However she was a good sport in the bad weather and her co-worker's hat was a color that complimented her skin tone so not a total loss.

• Love 3

Yesterday and today Joe was asking Lemire  one of his monologue question.  The ones where he says let me repeat that numerous times.  When Joe stopped for a moment Lemire attempted to answer and was interrupted by Joe who continued to preach.  Lemire made this half annoyed face.  Joe is just so full of himself and rude to the guests.  Let him do his podcast and yack on and on into space.  He really doesnt want interaction he just wants to expound his viewpoint and repeat stories from decades ago in Washington.  Talk about ancient history.

• Love 8
On 9/28/2021 at 6:42 AM, chick binewski said:

Mika just disclosed that as a student she spent time with John Hinckley in the psych ward. Maybe there's HIPAA but I need more details.

I don't think Lemire is doing too bad on WTE.

Lemire is a terrible host for WTE...besides not being the best looking guy in the business he has a way of reading off the teleprompter that shows a high level of uncomfortablity in doing so. There's just something about Lemire that rubs me the wrong way...his smarminess, his trying too hard to be cheery and relatable. And his obsession with he Red Sox is irritating.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Love 5

I don’t watch Way Too Early, so don’t know how Lemire is on there. I always liked him before he became a seemingly daily presence on MJ.  Geez I am tired of the same guests everyday; or the same “former officials” being dragged out for every crisis. But it makes The Twins’ job easier; the regulars do a lot of the heavy lifting.  Also - when does Lemire actually work for The Post?

Joe doesn’t have a 5-day workweek anymore? Anymore! I kid! Meeka and John Hinkley in the same sentence? I would actually love to hear more about this.

• Love 3

Come on...BrownBear and I cannot be the only ones moved to comment this morning.  But here goes.  I switched to maybe the 8:20 time; rehash, I guess, of the 6:00 half hour - wouldn't know.  Then at 8:30.  Meeka seems to have changed out of the way-too-big draped top (the usual gray) and was cheery, perky, and not shrouded.  Then.  I noticed a brighter backdrop; everything looked completely different ... it was not the same set!!!  It seemed to be a canned/previous interview she had done for a Women Over 50!  Rerun interview! She was horrifyingly perky, loud to the point of listening to her was painful.  Forced enthusiasm is never a good look on a Serious Journalist like Meeka.  Was this from Her Show (Dear Lord) on Peacock?  How many hours did she actually work this morning?

Correction:  I think Jonathan Lemire works for the AP, not the Washington Post.  I had forgotten he was an actual reporter elsewhere.

MSNBC... how in the world do these two not show up...one literally and the other figuratively...during a very big newsweek/newsday.  If Joe is ill or has an emergency I regret being catty.

Edited by Kemper
spelling error
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Come on...BrownBear and I cannot be the only ones moved to comment this morning. 

Okay, I'll bite but remember, I am boycotting and only clicking by on my way to real news of interest on other channels. I got a glimpse of the grey shroud and realized nothing ever really changes. The fact that she was forced to "report" on Britney Spears must be her attempt to be more with it about current events, but honestly, who even cares about Spears...that's not their demo, for sure. And on a political and sports punditry show. Perhaps that part was a piece from Peacock, too. But, then, Britney might make it to 50 so Mika wants to snare her early.

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, Kemper said:

I don’t watch Way Too Early, so don’t know how Lemire is on there. I always liked him before he became a seemingly daily presence on MJ.  Geez I am tired of the same guests everyday; or the same “former officials” being dragged out for every crisis. But it makes The Twins’ job easier; the regulars do a lot of the heavy lifting.  Also - when does Lemire actually work for The Post?

Joe doesn’t have a 5-day workweek anymore? Anymore! I kid! Meeka and John Hinkley in the same sentence? I would actually love to hear more about this.

Yes! I have griped about the format and the repetitive "contributors" for some time. People like Barnicle, a disgraced plagarist, have no place on this show or any show...but he's a drinking buddy of Joe's so he ends up getting a regular gig on a national morning show...then there's the usual cast...Lemire (Red Sox buddy of Joe's); Reverand Al...OMG...holy 1980's; Richard Haass...ugh; David Ignatius...boring, boring, boring; Steve Rattner...dull, dull, dull; sometimes Katy Kay...who is delightful, intelligent and well respected; Eugene Robinson...he's boring too and is on so many other MSNBC shows that one wonders how he finds the time to write a column. The contributors are stale and the format is stale. Change it up...get some up and comers to be contributors...maybe people between the ages of 35-50? They're out there and it would give the show a fresh look that is desperately needed. But most of all..it's time for Joe to go. He clearly isn't into it anymore. He mostly wants to pontificate about the Red Sox with a bunch of other former high school athletes or talk about his good old days in Congress. I think him doing a podcast is perfect for him now...so do it and retire from the morning show. Mika should crawl over to Peacock with her new show and stay there.

• Love 7

Bob Woodward has been an internationally famous reporter for more than half a century. Why has he never learned how to pronounce the word “nuclear”?

Bugs me as well. GW Bush did the same. I read somewhere that it is easier to pronounce the two long u sounds and once embedded it becomes a habit. My former husband earned a Ph.D. on people's reaction to the threat of nuclear war. His advisor pronounced it the same way as Bob Woodward and he certainly had a lot of opportunity to say the word which was like nails on a chalkboard. Fortunately, the hubs pronounced it as it is spelled.

I wonder if NBC threatened Mika with her own show on Peacock to inspire her to improve her performance on Morning Joe. Has there been any more mention of it? I haven't watched for about a week. Busy canning tomatoes. Four dozen quarts and counting.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Kemper said:

MSNBC... how in the world do these two not show up...one literally and the other figurately...during a very big newsweek/newsday.  If Joe is ill or has an emergency I regret being catty.

I don't 100% agree re: the sentiment but I second the linguistic love for the literally/figuratively distinction which was so profoundly correct and spot-on and absolutely perfect. Kemper, sometimes I am literally mad at you for not writing and publishing a book. We all know you got stories to tell and it would've been awesome.

I'm proud of Katty Kay for resigning from the Oxy thingy quickly and not equivocating re: the f-ery. I never understood what it was all about in the first place? She was working for the BBC? She was beloved there? And then she left?

IDK. I get the need to branch out, but branch out by doing research, and following your instincts and supporting legit stuff, not questionable online platforms, yikes.

.... anyhoo, I do hope there will always be a place for her on MSNBC. Because our khaleesi Katty is so damn loved by all of us, and so damn good...always.

Like many of you I'm kinda checking in and out at the moment.

Life is back to normal so for me at least work takes up a hella lot more time than during lockdown, and that actually makes me feel really happy and normal and safe 😂

I DVR the show and catch up later and fast forward a lot (thru Joe's pointless rants). Tbh they've done some really, truly excellent in-studio stuff recently that's genuinely surprised me, because it's actually been good.

I actually thought Mika at the WH was really impressive, just in terms of actually being present and alive...! ymmv

Buuut then a second later they've gone back to dull, fragmented shouty Florida stuff. For long time fans it's literally a day-to-day rollercoaster at this point, in terms of quality, yikes!

I still can't shake the feeling they're primarily focused on trolling, rather than saying f-it to all that, and working on excelling, together, regardless of location, taking pride in their work, producing excellent across the board, every day, etc, etc...sigh...

• Love 3

I cringed when I went back and looked at my post- I misspelled “figuratively”… this is what happens when I type on my wee iPhone. Does anyone else have this problem? The keys and screen are so small; and one of my few talents is being able to type as fast as I talk or think. It is hard to proof one’s own text; put it on a tiny screen and hijinks ensue.

Edited by Kemper
spelling error
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Catching up with Tuesday`show. I was amused that Lemire starting singing the Canadian national anthem to support the Blue Jays beating the Yankees.

Joe made me laugh with his 6 Ft 2 son calling him Papa & asking if Red Sox fans will ever be happy again.

Mika threw shade at Joe's podcast when he said 'speaking of not knowing what you are doing"

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Joe was upset that the parole board let out Sirhan Sirhan & John Hinkley Jr. Joe said Kennedy's assassination changed history.

Mika worked with John Hinkley on Wednesday's at St Elizabeth's when she was a sophomore in college.

I am curious what type of work would she do with Hinckley in the 1980's given that he was probably in solitary confinement then ?

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Kemper said:

I cringed when I went back and looked at my post- I misspelled “figuratively”… this is what happens when I type on my wee iPhone. Does anyone else have this problem? The keys and screen are so small; and one of my few talents is being able to type as fast as I talk or think

Never mind the misspelling, you just used a semi-colon and the conjunction "and" in the same sentence!!! Execution at dawn!! muwahahaha!

to be serious for a moment, imma channel Vampire Weekend and say... it's all good.

25 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika threw shade at Joe's podcast when he said 'speaking of not knowing what you are doing"

I know they're on like episode 5 now, but I just listened to episode 3 of Joe's podcast! It had Barry Gibb on it, from the actual Bee Gees group from like the 60s!! It was cute and calming. Joe is actually a great interviewer when he stops thinking he's the center of the universe and starts paying attention to other humans.

Also, Barry Gibb and his wife had sex in the Dr Who TARDIS. He volunteered this information on the podcast, for unexplained reasons. I guess that's one way to join the mile high club but also, ugh ugh ugh TMI, yikes 🥴 But overall it was a good conversation.

• Love 3