Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, oakville said:

There were many occasions when Mika or Joe would not show up on the set till the "What have we learned today" segment at 8:55 a.m.

omg I miss that segment!! They would all just say whatever crazy shit came into their heads, it was hilarious and they would always come up with something quirky and insane. now they do this pompous-ass "final thoughts" thingy where no one ever says anything original.

I was watching sister wendy this morning. should I nominate her for mika's forbes thingy?? She's definitely over 50, i think she's like 90, or maybe a 100, also going from nun to tee-vee art critic late in life is pretty badass

eta: OH FUCK wikipedia says she died in 2018, nooooooo. is there a post-humous category. RIP 😭

Edited by neona
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Joe was so proud and impressed with himself when he kept repeating that word.  I expected him to stand up and take a bow.

And I imagine Mika sat there, gazing lovingly with that little smug smile, murmuring nonsense in his direction. She swoons easily when Joey shows off.

Edited by plumbago blues
typo
  • LOL 6

Tuned in about 7:30 or so...Meeka was doing the hosting; all seemed quiet.  I waited til the 8:00 hour to see if things had been the usual shout and lecture program.  They were playing some clips and they all showed what would be the correct Eastern Standard Time.  So - was it a rerun of the 6:00 half-hour or was it new?  You know, like most news and opinion shows.  Meeka looks nice in a turtleneck when it fits!  Joe has no interest in any guest or subject that he cannot lecture/take-over the conversation and time.

• Love 6

All proper Bond villains can rock a black turtleneck, and Mika is no exception.  
They're still trying to shoehorn in Trump as a primary topic, but I'm glad they covered the absolute bat-shittery going on in Texas where maniacs are blaming AOC and unicorns for power outages.  I had no idea.  Lunacy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I did not see their coverage of the Texas debacle.  I read about the lunatic theories going around from the Usual Suspects on other channels regarding what has caused this Terrible Perfect Storm in Texas.  Did Joe yell or do voices?  Is it just me, or does there seem to be a certain amount of ennui from Joe?  Meeka could be thrilled because she is given more camera time.  

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Kemper said:

For some reason (this frickin' literal shit storm here in Texas, I imagine) the copy thing isn't working. Nothing is working here. We've been spared the blackouts at our house, just a few flickers, thank goodness. Water is another story. However, people are seriously suffering here and to tune in this morning to see that bug-eyed Claire playing the blame game from her cozy kitchen was just too much and I clicked away. It is too soon for any name calling and blame when people have been without water and electricity since Saturday. Everything is closed... Grocery stores were closed for 2 days and are now on shortened schedules, like 5 hours/day. The lines are worse than the early Covid days and once people get in, shelves are empty. Most people I know here are in shock and even they aren't ready to start blaming...the good news? I made up a tasty canned green bean and canned stewed tomato dish last night! (Never dreamed we'd have to melt snow to flush toilets down here!)

Oh, Ms. Blues, I am so sorry that you and yours and everyone in Texas and other places around the country are in this line of fire.  It is scary, frustrating and depressing. It seems nothing is in your control. 
Hang in there and keep us posted. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

For some reason (this frickin' literal shit storm here in Texas, I imagine) the copy thing isn't working. Nothing is working here. We've been spared the blackouts at our house, just a few flickers, thank goodness. Water is another story. However, people are seriously suffering here and to tune in this morning to see that bug-eyed Claire playing the blame game from her cozy kitchen was just too much and I clicked away. It is too soon for any name calling and blame when people have been without water and electricity since Saturday. Everything is closed... Grocery stores were closed for 2 days and are now on shortened schedules, like 5 hours/day. The lines are worse than the early Covid days and once people get in, shelves are empty. Most people I know here are in shock and even they aren't ready to start blaming...the good news? I made up a tasty canned green bean and canned stewed tomato dish last night! (Never dreamed we'd have to melt snow to flush toilets down here!)

So sorry to hear Plumbago Blues.  Houston is my hometown and it's hard to imagine such a serious cold event there.  It's usually the opposite.  I hope you are able to get gas and food and that your power stays on.

• Love 7

OMG.

Just tuned in and heard Joe ranting about the Kinzinger family situation, with David French as a guest on the show. 

Joe knows what's coming on the show, but still fails to prepare and offer his clear insights to viewers.  It is as if he is learning about a situation for the first time, and maybe he is. 

ETA: That Rick Perry probably has electricity and water at his home.  Best wishes to Plumbago Blues.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 5

Tuned in, Joe was raving, tuned out.  Went back to see Beto O’Rourke being interviewed by Meeka.  I would have thought Joe would have loved loved loved to have done that interview...concern laced with a hopeful gotcha!

• Love 2

Beto O'rourke is so impressive.  So well spoken and well versed.  He has an easy handle on difficult topics and relays the pertinent facts plainly and efficiently but still at a high level.  I learned immediately what the power issue is in Texas, why it is, and how to solve it.  I'd tune in every morning to watch Beto and Willie chop it up for 2 hours.
Abbott, Perry, and Cruz are pandering, lying, obsequious villains.

Is Mika dressed as a Jedi or a ninja?  Is that a dress?  A robe?  What pants go with it?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

SNOW DAY FOR ME!!  I got to experience the show visually.  I was hearing Mika stumbling over everything and reading with no fluency.  I work with kids at school to improve fluency.  My daughter walks in and says, "Is that a bathrobe? She looks so depressing"   The handoffs to panelists to ask questions sounds like a college radio show taking calls.  Does Mika have a checklist of who to call on next?  I watched for about half hour and just quit.  There are good people on there that are thoughtful and knowledgeable but Joe and Mika just drag the show down,  

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, Kemper said:

The 8:00 hour is live?

i didn't watch live Kemper because I'm still on post-impeachment art nun peacefulness break, but just wanted to point out you can easily check this - when they're live they have a lil red box in the right-hand corner that says "live"....when the lil red box is *not* there, they are not live 🙂 🙂 

Edited by neona
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, neona said:

i didn't watch live Kemper because I'm still on post-impeachment art nun peacefulness break, but just wanted to point out you can easily check this - when they're live they have a lil red box in the right-hand corner that says "live"....when the lil red box is *not* there, they are not live 🙂 🙂 

Thanks!  I didn't know about the "live" box...I just look at the time.  Really?  With all that is happening in Texas, trying to get a Covid deal passed in the Senate, Trump running amok on Conservative Media (well, that is a given), Andrew Cuomo's troubles (and you just know that Joe loves this)...there is absolutely no news at 8:00 that is worth talking about on a "live" morning news/analytical show.  

Someone upthread wondered what Meeka was wearing with her bag lady top?  I'm guessing sweatpants/yoga pants and flip flops.  Says me while reclining in my heavy flannel robe and 3 layers of socks at 10:15 a.m..

Edited by Kemper
Fixed the last sentence
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I just checked in to see the first few minutes. Mika should stop wearing the Vulcan bath robe.

Joe is upset that President Trump was allowed to talk on Fox news. Joe made jokes about Mr Pillow who got the stuffing knocked out of him when he talked about the election.

Joe said the networks would not allow Osama Bin Laden to be interviewed live.

I am amused that President Trump is still the top story on Morning Joe. 

It was nice of the show to allow Bill Karins to be back on the show to discuss the weather in Texas.

He used to be a regular guest on Morning Joe before Mika & Joe moved to Florida.

Joe decided that a weather segment  isn't important & Mika was getting a bit too friendly with Bill.

• LOL 5

officially canceling the break thingy to be there to watch the trolling of Cancun Cruz tomorrow morning...i. can't. even. *headdesk*

2 hours ago, oakville said:

It was nice of the show to allow Bill Karins to be back on the show to discuss the weather in Texas.

He used to be a regular guest on Morning Joe before Mika & Joe moved to Florida.

Joe decided that a weather segment  isn't important & Mika was getting a bit too friendly with Bill.

ahh I miss Bill!!! he had like the best sense of humor on the whole show, he used to troll Joe and Mika like a pro. Man it's just incredible how the trump era has drained the life and energy out of everyone

• Love 5

Joe has political consultant Rick Tyler on the show.  Joe and Rick agree that Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas was a dumbass to go to Mexico instead of staying in Houston.  Joe claimed his "staff" would have given him a shot in the neck to stop him from going on such a trip.  

Joe always brings it back to himself.  

Willie said it was arrogant to get on a plane while people are dying.  Willie agreed that Joe was great at constituent services unlike Ted Cruz. Willie noted that Joe would hand out water and food after hurricanes in Florida.  Funny how they didn't have pictures of Joe doing that.  Take Joe's word for it that he was always right there when disaster struck.  

Edited by nittany cougar
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

I don't mind Joe's bloviatin' and dunking on Ted Cruz.  He can do it pretty well.  Willie the same, Rick Tyler same, it's literally Meachem's job.  But our poor Mika took her turn and she just shouldn't have.  You could hear her squeaking and blarping while Meachem was speaking because she was itching to get her turn to insult Cruz.  Know your limits, Meeks.
Also, if one more person says "constituent services," i'm gonna lose it.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

...  But our poor Mika took her turn and she just shouldn't have.  You could hear her squeaking and blarping while Meachem was speaking because she was itching to get her turn to insult Cruz.  Know your limits, Meeks.

Poor Mika had a little trouble understanding that 19B, and poor Willie had a slip of the tongue referring to how Joe and other Senators would hand out disaster relief materials in Florida.

They are just a little too excited this morning.

Wonder if $309 includes the resort fee at the Ritz-Carlton Cancun, or if the resort fee is in addition to $309.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I liked Mika pointing out it's a total waste of a Senate seat...

tbh the only thing that surprises me about the Cancun Cruz debacle is that he actually *brought* the kids, instead of leaving them behind in the cold dark house with that poor dog. In a way the story is kinda...satisfying because it's so clarifying. the hypocrisy is so visceral... this is who he is and there's no way to spin it and yeah, at least now everybody knows

Hamlet just said the phrase "nobility and vannility" so he's on fine form today

Edited by neona
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, freddi said:

Have they used  the term “Mr. Pillow” previously?  They used it about eight times in 30 seconds, and it was new to me.  

Yes !. The new buzz words on Morning Joe are "Cop Killers" which is reserved for Josh Hawley & anyone that supported the riot at the Capitol.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lowcountry snark said:

You could hear her squeaking and blarping while Meachem was speaking because she was itching to get her turn to insult Cruz.

“Squeaking and blarping” is the absolute perfect description of Mika’s contribution! Brilliant. She also confused “millions” and “billions” while flailing her way through a news report.

Looks like Rick Tyler has a new toupee. It’s not working for me.

• LOL 9
1 hour ago, Liberty said:

They are just a little too excited this morning.

They can come down to south Texas for a taste of real incompetence. Maybe they can bring some of that glee and excitement to the freezing, hungry people.  Cruz's actions, believe it nor not, is not the top story down here. We'll deal with him later. Amazing that Joe was Mr. Helpful during his constituents' time of need. Wish I could say the same of all the idiots here. 

Rev. Al is back. He looks much better...was so gaunt for so long...a little chunk on his cheeks looks good.

• Love 6

Friday Recap for Plumbago Blues.

The show opened with a clip of Megyn Kelly interviewing Ted Cruz.

I was surprised because Joe hates Megyn after she roasted him when during his book tour in 2014. 

https://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/05/megyn-kelly-rips-joe-scarborough-189294.

Mika is wearing a very high collar beige turtleneck with a blazer. It looks like she is going horseback riding after the show. 

Joe is wearing his poorly ironed  oxford cut shirt. I like Al Sharpton's blazer with purple lines.

Joe was proud of helping constituents in hurricanes. Joe bragged about working with Gov Chiles & Gov  Jeb Bush.

Joe didn't mention that he met his second wife Susan, who was working for Gov Jeb Bush at the time.

Susan shared Joe's passion for constituent services unlike Joe's first wife who did not like the media spotlight.

Joe's staff would have hit him with a tranquilizer dart if he traveled on a foreign vacations.

Rick Tyler said he was a dumb country communications advisor to Ted Cruz. It was a dumb ass move.

Tyler said the crisis in Texas was avoidable. It was stupid to blame his kids for wanting to the Ritz Carlton in Cancun. The kids did not ask to go to Cancun.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Willie was wrong to say that Joe was a Senator from Florida. He was a Congressman.

Mika moaned when Willie said that the kids wanted to go to Cancun. Mika would never let her kids ask to go on vacation.

M. Cruz's invited her neighbors to go to the Ritz. Mika moaned again.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Joe asked people to pray for Texas. Joe asked for people to contribute to organizations.

Joe helped people in Louisiana during Katrina.

Joe blamed the Democrat Mayor & Governor in Louisiana & President Bush for performing horribly during Katrina.

Joe said the first job is constituent services.

Meecham blasted Cruz for his performance on January 6th.

• Love 4

Joe said he was a small government conservative,ideologue & populist when he was elected to Congress.

Two minutes earlier, Joe complained about people being elected to the Congress based on ideological boxes.

Joe said people come up to him when he  is on a plane and thank him for helping their parents deal with the IRS.

Joe told the IRS to finish their audits. Is that obstruction of Justice ? The IRS listened to Joe and stopped the audit.

• LOL 4

They showed a clip of DeBlasio complaining about Cuomo threatening assembly man Kim.

Mika read the story about Gov Cuomo in a serious manner.

Susan Del Percio was no longer described as a Lincoln Project advisor. She worked for Cuomo.

The legislature could override his Pandemic Powers.

Joe used a mafia accent to mimic people trying to threaten members of the legislature.

Joe said that Cuomo made an amateur move.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

At no point in the past two days has there been any clear understanding provided about what this Cuomo drama is about.  The only concrete thing I know is that he bullies other legislators.  Is the story he didn't want the volume of nursing home deaths fully known and bullied people to keep it quiet?   Or did he do something that exacerbated the spread of the virus and caused more deaths?  Seems like a lot of energy behind a story... but not one guest or host has said specifically what's at issue.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Joe said that Cuomo should work with the legislature & not yell at them.

Joe applauded Reagan for being nice to Congress & let them spill jelly beans in his office.

Clinton played golf with people who impeached him.

Meacham liked James Baker & Plutarch.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

At no point in the past two days has there been any clear understanding provided about what this Cuomo drama is about.  The only concrete thing I know is that he bullies other legislators.  Is the story he didn't want the volume of nursing home deaths fully known and bullied people to keep it quiet?   Or did he do something that exacerbated the spread of the virus and caused more deaths?  Seems like a lot of energy behind a story... but not one guest or host has said specifically what's at issue.

The show has been careful not to discuss that Cuomo allegedly ordered nursing homes to accept patients with Covid after they left the hospital.

I believe the wording used was that nursing homes could not test for  Covid before allowing  a patient to return to the nursing home.

The nursing homes then became infected with Covid which killed a few thousand nursing home residents.

Cuomo's objective was to keep the hospitals open for new Covid patients & others that needed the hospitals. .

Cuomo was worried that Trump would use the large number of dead nursing home residents to blame Cuomo as incompetent.

Fox News's Janice Dean is a prominent critic of Gov Cuomo.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2020/07/22/andrew-cuomo-nursing-homes-coronavirus-janice-dean-new-york-column/5472713002/

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Friday Recap for Plumbago Blues

Awww, thanks, Oakville! (And all of you snarkers.) You guys take the Blue out of Plumbago Blues!

I saw Equestrian Mika for a millisecond, with her smug smirk and arms crossed. I saw a bit of the show where Joe went to Susan Del P with about a 4 minute lead in to his question...I think his MO on those rambling long intro's to questions is his passive/aggressive trait to have to always be the know it all...like let me tell you every possible answer you might give so that I can dominate the exchange and all you can do is meekly agree with me. So rude.

1 hour ago, oakville said:

Susan Del Percio was no longer described as a Lincoln Project advisor. She worked for Cuomo.

Poor gal can't get a break. All resume Killers.

• LOL 6
52 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Awww, thanks, Oakville! (And all of you snarkers.) You guys take the Blue out of Plumbago Blues!

I saw Equestrian Mika for a millisecond, with her smug smirk and arms crossed. I saw a bit of the show where Joe went to Susan Del P with about a 4 minute lead in to his question...I think his MO on those rambling long intro's to questions is his passive/aggressive trait to have to always be the know it all...like let me tell you every possible answer you might give so that I can dominate the exchange and all you can do is meekly agree with me. So rude.

Poor gal can't get a break. All resume Killers.

No problem. I hope the situation in Texas improves with the warmer weather.

I am curious as to why Susan Del Percio appears on the show. Del Percio hasn't worked for a major GOP candidate since 2006.

Is it so Morning Joe can state that it has "Republican Strategists" on the show that almost always oppose the current Republican Party's actions?

Morning Joe seems to have too many " ex -  Republicans" on the show.

I was hopeful that the guest list would be upgraded to include people that could discuss the Biden administration's policies.

Unfortunately, Joe has too many vendettas against people like Senators Rubio, Cruz, Graham, McConell, so he wastes time ranting at them.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Liberty said:

Wonder if $309 includes the resort fee at the Ritz-Carlton Cancun, or if the resort fee is in addition to $309.

Resort fee is $40 per room, per night added to the room costs.   You would think that since the resort fee is mandatory, they would just add it to the room fee, instead of adding it on later.    (The one star reviews on Trip Advisor are epic, including the hurricane one).     Apparently, everything is extra at that resort. 

I'm sorry I missed Equestrian Mika.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 2/19/2021 at 9:52 AM, oakville said:

The show has been careful not to discuss that Cuomo allegedly ordered nursing homes to accept patients with Covid after they left the hospital.

I believe the wording used was that nursing homes could not test for  Covid before allowing  a patient to return to the nursing home.

The nursing homes then became infected with Covid which killed a few thousand nursing home residents.

Cuomo's objective was to keep the hospitals open for new Covid patients & others that needed the hospitals. .

Cuomo was worried that Trump would use the large number of dead nursing home residents to blame Cuomo as incompetent.

Fox News's Janice Dean is a prominent critic of Gov Cuomo.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2020/07/22/andrew-cuomo-nursing-homes-coronavirus-janice-dean-new-york-column/5472713002/

On 2/19/2021 at 9:35 AM, Lowcountry snark said:

And that Cuomo allegedly gave liability shields to those nursing homes.  15k Covid deaths were in nursing homes alone.  There was one nursing home that had 80 deaths in the first month.

The past week Cuomo's aid actually admitted that they hid the nursing home information.  Which is where Ron Kim and other assembly members fall into the story (because they were on call).  So Ron Kim and others felt that they should report this, hence where Cuomo bullying started to come in.   

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

I watched the first 15 minutes of CNN this morning and then tuned to MJ.  CNN did not mention politics, they were covering the engine fire of the Boeing plane.  MJ was talking Cruz, Republican woes, etc.  So I think that a line has been drawn in the sand with MSNBC; they will continue to be a mostly political-leaning network; CNN will try to cover news and politics.  And I am fine with all of it.  I know what network to tune into depending on what I want to hear.  MJ is truly entertainment and opinion...the Left-Leaning Fox Network.  However, CNN has freshened up it's lineup and anchors; which is a win.  

Joe didn't bother me as much as usual today; he is especially good with Heileman.  Heileman maybe is someone Joe doesn't run completely over; and Heileman seems to enjoy the back-and-forth with Joe.  Meeka didn't even bother me all that much; of course, she is hardly ever really "there" but she was okay.  Damning with faint praise, I know.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Kemper said:

she is hardly ever really "there" but she was okay

Yeah, but that fugly brown bathrobe seems to there pretty frequently. Hasn't she done articles on her KYV about "looking the part for the job you want" kinda mindset? Like Dress for Success? I think if she'd try doing that regularly she'd make strides in her performance and credibility. We know she has nice stuff; at least she used to and her SM pictures show a variety of fancy work-out clothes. Jeeze, it's only from the waist up; how hard can that be.

I never need to hear "Shots in Arms" and "Trump Supporters" again. Ever.

I guess Michael Steele has escaped the Lincoln Project blood letting? I figured they'd all get a taste of the cancel culture.

Edited by plumbago blues
  • Love 7

The British soccer-guy-with-the-Princess Diana-sheep-sweater told Meeka she "looked nice" or some such this morning.  Which means, sadly, we will see even more of her shroud-like tops.  Mourning Meeka.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I watched the first 15 minutes of CNN this morning and then tuned to MJ.  CNN did not mention politics, they were covering the engine fire of the Boeing plane.  MJ was talking Cruz, Republican woes, etc.  So I think that a line has been drawn in the sand with MSNBC; they will continue to be a mostly political-leaning network; CNN will try to cover news and politics.  And I am fine with all of it.  I know what network to tune into depending on what I want to hear.  MJ is truly entertainment and opinion...the Left-Leaning Fox Network.  However, CNN has freshened up it's lineup and anchors; which is a win.  

If you missed the first 15 minutes, then you missed the head scratching decision to lead with a recap of Pres. Trump’s failures and downplaying regarding the corona virus. Which supports your point I guess.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, plumbago blues said:
1 hour ago, plumbago blues said:

I guess Michael Steele has escaped the Lincoln Project blood letting? I figured they'd all get a taste of the cancel culture.

Does he still get introduced as an advisor to the Lincoln Project ?

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Rickster said:

If you missed the first 15 minutes, then you missed the head scratching decision to lead with a recap of Pres. Trump’s failures and downplaying regarding the corona virus. Which supports your point I guess.

I haven't seen the how yet, but I wonder how long Mika & Joe think they can milk talking about the the failures of the Trump Presidency ?

Why don't they focus on the Biden Administration ?

I wouldn't be surprised if Joe starts to complain about Florida Governor Ron De Santis. He is a rival to Joe Pensacola Scarborough as the king of Florida politics.

• Love 5

They focused on the 501k deaths attributed to the Coronavirus and Mika read all of Trump's initial quotes.  Not compelling TV.  It is a weighty topic but it's not something they can handle.  John Oliver can do it in ten minutes, but Mika and Joe cannot come remotely close with a daily 3 hour political news show.
FWIW, John Oliver is great pals with the Men in Blazers (Roger Bennett - who is always on Morning Joe - and Michael Davies)

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, oakville said:

If you missed the first 15 minutes, then you missed the head scratching decision to lead with a recap of Pres. Trump’s failures and downplaying regarding the corona virus.

This was just a ridiculous waste of time. They hated on President Trump for 4 years and now that he's gone they just can't stop. Mystifying. I'm surprised that the current administration hasn't given them more salient talking points. It's weird to hear the name Trump more than Biden after the win they so wanted. They need to move on. This is sheer laziness.

23 minutes ago, oakville said:

Does he still get introduced as an advisor to the Lincoln Project ?

Can't say. I just saw him there on the panel. Thought maybe the whole group would get banished or at least put on a time out for awhile.

• Love 3