Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika said that Joe doesn't apologize to her quickly enough when they have a disagreement.

literally applies from day one...Mika was using words like "fascists", saying he won't leave, and talking seriously about the 25th amendment way, way before Joe, honestly sometimes he was even shushing her about it... I don't really care that he's more eloquent than her and knows how to do long-ass speeches, she was actually *right*...

Anyhoo plz forgive me but I have a really stupid question about what Chuck Rosenberg was talking about re: impeachment... I think he said that the Senate has to convict by a 2/3 majority...and then they decide whether to apply a second sanction of banning the person from public office forever, and that one only requires a simple majority. So. If he's not convicted by a 2/3 majority could they still vote to ban him from public office by a simple majority, or does it require a conviction? i'm guessing it does, but just to clarify?

Edited by neona
  • Love 1

If Meeka doesn't think Joe apologizes quickly enough...sadly, that is on her.  No one is forcing her to sit in the chair and publicly keep silent about being disrespected. 

I, too, have impeachment questions and I don't think some of the reporters/analysts are being clear.  The viewers, for the most part, are not lawyers or constitutional scholars.  

Edited by Kemper
spelling error
  • Love 5

Mika said that Joe doesn't apologize to her quickly enough when they have a disagreement.

And she looked so smug and self-righteous after she said it. I think she was even slightly nodding her head. I don't remember but I wouldn't be surprised if she had her arms crossed.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Kemper said:

I, too, have impeachment questions and I don't think some of the reporters/analysts are being clear.

This!! also, re: the 25th amendment. It's not just up to Mike Pence, but he also needs a majority of members of cabinet on board - but which ones, exactly? And what is the impact of the recent resignations - does it mean the "acting" people have a vote, or do those votes count as abstentions? gaaaah. 

ETA: oh and the timeframe, why can't they explain about the fucking timeframe? they couldn't impeach last Thursday, the day after the coup, because....they all had to go fishing, or? while the rest of us were locked in our houses staring at our tee-vees in abject horror? And now it's Monday and still nothing is happening?

Edited by neona
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, neona said:

Anyhoo plz forgive me but I have a really stupid question about what Chuck Rosenberg was talking about re: impeachment... I think he said that the Senate has to convict by a 2/3 majority...and then they decide whether to apply a second sanction of banning the person from public office forever, and that one only requires a simple majority. So. If he's not convicted by a 2/3 majority could they still vote to ban him from public office by a simple majority, or does it require a conviction? i'm guessing it does, but just to clarify?

Yes, he has to be convicted first, in order to be banned from public office in the future.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, neona said:

literally applies from day one...Mika was using words like "fascists", saying he won't leave, and talking seriously about the 25th amendment way, way before Joe, honestly sometimes he was even shushing her about it... I don't really care that he's more eloquent than her and knows how to do long-ass speeches, she was actually *right*...

President Trump would have to be convicted by the Senate with a 2/3 majority for the second sanction to apply. If he convicted, he would lose his pension, secret service protection & his discounted subscription to Peacock TV. He can't be banned from holding federal office if he is acquitted by the Senate.

I believe Mika was referring to her disagreements with Joe about their home life. Joe admitted to not liking Mika's cooking, in particular her tofu casserole. Mika was outraged at Joe criticizing her cooking because she is working on a recipe book for successful career women over 50. 

Joe also complained about Mika keeping pigs & chickens as pets before they moved to Florida. Joe thought the house was dirty with the pigs , but Mika told him that her mom used to keep roadkill in the bathtub when they lived in Maclean Virginia.

• LOL 7

Oakville  you are the only human who can make me laugh in the aftermath of a fucking coup!! god bless you and thanks for saving me the expense of a therapist. i'm laughing so hard....

• Love 3
3 hours ago, oakville said:

his discounted subscription to Peacock TV. He can't be banned from holding federal office if he is acquitted by the Senate.

I love that.    Actually, that's a very clear explanation, and I've been looking for one all day that explained it in plain English. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

Bible Joe is back. He started his first question to FBI Frank with a long attack on evangelicals that don't believe in god, worship fake prophets & don't understand the new testament. Joe said those evangelicals will have to deal with Jesus.

I thought Joe was auditioning for the part of Moses in the rumored remake of the Ten Commandments. Joe already has the big hair necessary for the role.

Joe yelled at Frank & said those that attacked the Capitol will have to read the gospels & the Old Testament when they are in jail.

Mika said Good Morning in the middle of Joe's rant.

It's going to be a long show to recap. I will wait until I can have a glass or 2 of wine to get through it.

• LOL 6

Just tuned in to the 8:00 rerun.  Maybe I am grumpy this morning, but is it just me who is over the repeating guests always always always shilling their books? I don’t care right now about what Frank Figlusi (yes, spelled incorrectly) has to say in his booK; and he is one of my favorite guests.  Adam Schiff coming up? We already know what he is going to say. And I like and respect him.

While I like the format of a coffee klatsch for this show, at this point in time it has gotten stale and predictable.  Maybe CNN is the same way but I don’t tune in often enough to notice. But I have been treated to Al Franken, Richard Painter, Carl Bernstein every now and then throughout the day and evening.

I did see the beginning of the 7:00 hour.  Joe ‘s rant about treason continuing in this country was terrifying.  

Meeka looks good in red.

• Love 5

There was a 5 minute segment on Alabama winning the Championship. Joe said it was the best team he has seen in  long time.

Joe said that Nick Saban is a good coach because he listened to Joe's advice about using their quarterback effectively in many plays.

Mika laughed at Joe & said she wore a cheerleader outfit last night while they were watching the game. Joe liked that.

Joe applauded Coach Belichick for turning down the Medal of Freedom.

Joe said that some Trump supporters will listen to Belicheck & Gov Arnold. They don't listen to Chuck Shumer or cable news talking heads.

Joe continued to mispronounce Gov Arnold' name by forgetting the SH.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Bible Joe is back. He started his first question to FBI Frank with a long attack on evangelicals that don't believe in god, worship fake prophets & don't understand the new testament. Joe said those evangelicals will have to deal with Jesus.

2 hours ago, Kemper said:

is it just me who is over the repeating guests always always always shilling their books? I don’t care right now about what Frank Figlusi (yes, spelled incorrectly) has to say in his booK; and he is one of my favorite guests.  Adam Schiff coming up? We already know what he is going to say.

These examples, as well as Eliot's observations, are not what I turn the tv on for at 5am. This show and it's hosts are stale and boring. I want to start my day with actual news, not a mutual admiration society repeating the same old opinions and exhibiting the same outrage over and over. I am checking in less and less.

Oakville, I wish there was a way to insert an emoji after every entry in your recaps! Just having one at the end leaves me conflicted; when I want to like, laugh, cry, and roll my eyes all in one post! Bravo! 

• Love 6

I thought Joe was auditioning for the part of Moses in the rumored remake of the Ten Commandments. Joe already has the big hair necessary for the role.

At the start of the first hour, I twice heard Joe say “I’m just a country lawyer,” so I thought he was auditioning for a legal appointment in the new administration.  First time he said it, Mika muttered “oh, THIS again.”  

Edited by freddi
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

These examples, as well as Eliot's observations, are not what I turn the tv on for at 5am. This show and it's hosts are stale and boring. I want to start my day with actual news, not a mutual admiration society repeating the same old opinions and exhibiting the same outrage over and over. I am checking in less and less.

Oakville, I wish there was a way to insert an emoji after every entry in your recaps! Just having one at the end leaves me conflicted; when I want to like, laugh, cry, and roll my eyes all in one post! Bravo! 

Thanks for the positive feedback. I am amazed at how many times Joe uses the same talking points.  He is very upset with his friends & neighbors that support President Trump. Joe may also have had a falling out with his Church after they disagreed with his recommended bible verses, & choir songs.

Mika's struggles with reading the TelePrompter are disturbing. I am pretty sure that she was better at reading it when she was in the NY studio.

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, freddi said:

At the start of the first hour, I twice heard Joe say “I’m just a country lawyer,” so I thought he was auditioning for a legal appointment in the new administration.  First time he said it, Mika muttered “oh, THIS again.”  

Did she really mutter this?  If so, a rare Kudo! to Meeka.  Trouble is, she has a habit of muttering things so no one pays attention; I would be propped in bed with a mimosa and caviar if she would say (or shriek) this out loud.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Did she really mutter this?  If so, a rare Kudo! to Meeka.  Trouble is, she has a habit of muttering things so no one pays attention; I would be propped in bed with a mimosa and caviar if she would say (or shriek) this out loud.  

I checked, and it was more like “oh, we’re *starting* this way?”  Joe’s voice  is so loud that it is hard to hear anything else.  He is the kind of person I would move away from on public transit.   

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Mika's struggles with reading the TelePrompter are disturbing. I am pretty sure that she was better at reading it when she was in the NY studio.

If she had an actual function other than reading the prompter, one might suggest they hire a newsreader like they've had (don't know if they still do) on the Today show.  But she has nothing to offer.  She's neither a pundit, a subject matter expert, nor a reporter.  Reading the prompter is all she has to do.  If she weren't Joe's wife and hadn't been his squeeze before that, how long would she have lasted?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

If she had an actual function other than reading the prompter, one might suggest they hire a newsreader like they've had (don't know if they still do) on the Today show.  But she has nothing to offer.  

INDEED, there have been intriguing hosts on the Today Show in history -- not sure if this one did much worse than what we are seeing:

J Fred Muggs

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 1/12/2021 at 4:29 PM, Kemper said:

I would be propped in bed with a mimosa and caviar

This will be *all of us* on Inauguration day... 8 more days....

Their audience is pretty um diverse, and it's a bit confusing that Joe assumes everyone understands the evangelical lingo... tbh I was confused about the "red words" thing? I'm guessing it's like "red line" sort of moral boundaries, or..? Some context would be nice...sometimes it's like he goes off on this niche tangent and their jewish/catholic/muslim/agnostic/other audience are like whaa....? Having said that i'm happy he's calling out hypocrisy and pointing out that the core of any religion is kindness, love etc and not, you know, fascism.

personally I kinda like when Mika is subtly trolling Joe, she's literally all of us, heh.

I was kinda disappointed not to hear more from Virginia Heffner? She was so great last time and this time she basically only got to ask one question.

eta: thanks to graybrown bird for clarifying. I do own a bible somewhere but I don't think it has red words in it. so basically he's saying they need to read the kids' version, that's actually pretty funny

Edited by neona
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

what we really need is like a cocktail glass emoji. that would cover it. 🍸

• Love 2
1 hour ago, neona said:

tbh I was confused about the "red words" thing?

I didn't hear Joe say this, but I remember the Bible I used as a child had the words spoken by Jesus himself printed in red.

This is a very hard show to watch from beginning to end.  I almost always try to see a bit of it every morning, but if Joe is yelling, I switch to another channel.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, meowmommy said:

If she had an actual function other than reading the prompter, one might suggest they hire a newsreader like they've had (don't know if they still do) on the Today show.  But she has nothing to offer.  She's neither a pundit, a subject matter expert, nor a reporter.  Reading the prompter is all she has to do.  If she weren't Joe's wife and hadn't been his squeeze before that, how long would she have lasted?

Mika used to be more active in the panel discussions before she married Joe. The move to the breakfast studio in Florida has hurt the shows chemistry.

The show used to discuss a much more broad variety of topics before Trump appeared in 2015.

I remember Mika discussing the use of Facebook for teenagers, other parenting issues, economics etc. Mika even allowed movies to be promoted on the show despite not seeing them or being interested in any films or tv shows. 

It has been virtually all Trump 3 hours a day since he was elected President

Edited by oakville
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, freddi said:

INDEED, there have been intriguing hosts on the Today Show in history -- not sure if this one did much worse than what we are seeing:

J Fred Muggs

I do recall Mika allowing a dog on the show many years ago. The dog was nervous and peed on the floor. Mika screamed & asked Joe to clean up the mess.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

What is the symbolism that goes with all these pineapples?

George Conway this AM, David Plouffe has sculpture, Steve Schmidt and Heilmann and more have all displayed the Pineapple in their homes.

13 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika used to be more active in the panel discussions before she married Joe. The move to the breakfast studio in Florida has hurt the shows chemistry.

also when they were hosting the show together she used to be able to do this:

Y5sDTL.gif

now he can just hog the whole screen by himself whenever he wants to and go on and on and oooon gaaaah

39 minutes ago, Liberty said:

George Conway this AM, David Plouffe has sculpture, Steve Schmidt and Heilmann and more have all displayed the Pineapple in their homes.

i think the pineapples are awards given out by Room Rater, the twitter account that gives out scores for zoom backdrops! https://twitter.com/ratemyskyperoom

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Liberty said:

The pineapples are awards from the Twitter feed Room Rater for impressive Zoom backgrounds. There was a very funny back-and-forth competition between Heilmann and Schmidt for who had the best background. T-shirts were made, Team Heilmann versus Team Schmidt. Charitable contributions were also involved.

I cannot stand seeing the sanctimonious, hypocritical, histrionic Eddie Glaude Jr. on my TV screen wringing his hands over all this violence. This is the same Eddie Glaude Jr. who wrote this in 2016: “That fact of Trump alone, and the democratic anguish that goes with it, cannot be the only rationale to support Hillary Clinton.”

That certainly aged well, Eddie. How do you feel about that comment now?

Edited by Eliot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

Mika is wearing a brown bathrobe today. She must have a spa appointment after the show.

Mika is excited that some Republicans will vote to convict Trump & remove him from office for the rest of his life.

Why is George Conway wearing a track suit for an appearance on a prestigious cable show ?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Why is George Conway wearing a track suit for an appearance on a prestigious cable show ?

Why is Mika in a robe? Guests usually dress appropriately, hostts not so much  Maybe he's angling for a host job?

• LOL 4

That gif of Mika beating up Joe sickens me. She is such a fame whore. Looking at the camera to make sure everyone gets a good look at her being so naughty. Wasn't she just the cutest?? Ugh. That flirtatious behavior was hard to watch. I wonder how her new KYV persona would critique that?

I saw pictures of George Conway earlier. He really needs to visit his wife's plastic surgeon pronto if he is planning on a career as a pundit. She looked like hell at the end of the of the first campaign but somehow made an incredible transformation...all the bags and wrinkles were magically removed by the time she was back in the spotlight again as a counselor to Trump. Some tweaking would make him more palatable to watch.

1 hour ago, oakville said:

Mika is CRY arguing about Republicans hedging.

Ha. Another good one!

• Love 4

Joe said he went to Congress in 1994 as a libertarian/populist/conservative.

Joe mocked the Chamber of Commerce Republicans when he voted against subsidies for Sugar Producers.

Joe was against Corporate Welfare.

• Love 1

Joe is mad that people won't accept an increase in the top marginal tax rate by 2-3%.

Joe moved from Connecticut to Florida to stop paying state income tax.

I remember when Joe used to complain about President Obama raising taxes on plumbers & small business people.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

That gif of Mika beating up Joe sickens me. She is such a fame whore. Looking at the camera to make sure everyone gets a good look at her being so naughty. Wasn't she just the cutest?? Ugh. That flirtatious behavior was hard to watch. I wonder how her new KYV persona would critique that?

Well I think it's fun, but I'm easily entertained. YMMV. I just miss the days when she was able to just tell him straight up to shut uuup.

George Conway has a really beautiful, rich voice tho. and a conscience, that helps. Not sure Kellyanne could get that from her surgeon.

I find it so annoying when they unexpectedly come back early in the 8 a.m. hour??? I totally missed de Blasio because he was on at like 8.15 a.m. - usually they're not back until 8.30ish. why can't they just let the audience know.

Edited by neona
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, neona said:

George Conway has a really beautiful, rich voice tho. and a conscience, that helps. Not sure Kellyanne could get that from her surgeon.

Maybe we can get away from the idea that people on TV, male or female, need to be model-perfect.  Mika could try to learn that lesson, too.

I've never heard Jonathan Lemire so breathless and so hyper.  Usually he has a voice that will lull you to sleep.

• Love 8

Lenire seems quite breathless this morning.  He wrote a story for AP "Enduring Impeachment, Trump stands largely silent, alone." Mika did a dramatic reading of the AP story.  

They showed Nancy Pelosi reading her speech that Donald is a clear and present danger.  Joe seems very satisfied with the impeachment.  He's wearing a nice red tie.

Katty Kay is there but her computer is messed up and we can't hear her.  Oh we, nice seeing you Katty.

Has Joe taken credit for Alabama's football championship yet?

Edited by nittany cougar
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Mika started the show by flubbing Jonathan Lemire's nickname. She called him bubbles, but Joe said that was Tom Nichols.

Katty Kay's mascara is too dark. It looks like the oily alien eyes on the villains in the X Files.

Rev Al Sharpton is only on the pnel.

Joe said Tom tweets about about Republican conspiracies.

• LOL 3

Lemire said Trump is mad about losing his twitter account & financial opportunities after leaving office.

He gave a conciliatory speech last night to prevent further liability.

Joe said he will be sued after he leaves the White House.

Katty said Trump is upset at losing Georgia. He couldn't leave office as a winner.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

Has Joe taken credit for Alabama's football championship yet?

Joe did say that Coach Saban called him after the game to thank him for his football strategies.

Joe recommended that the Quarterback throw the ball to his receivers more often.

Joe said that he wrote articles in 2016 warning that Trump would destroy the Republican party.

• LOL 4

I was only half listening but Joe asked a question to the panel and Mika answered it and answered it and answered it. Finally Joe redirected the question to the panel as had been his original intention. At about 6:20 while they are in their Brady Bunch view Mika is listening and reacting to the bug in her ear from the control room. Shaking her head, blinking, nodding her head quite obviously. It is these moments that are the most interesting an informative to me. Too bad they don't show their reactions more often.

• Love 3

The frisson between Mika and Joe continues at 6:32. Joe says he shouldn't apologise for asking a question that elicits debate, Mika dismisses it, "Uh Yeah, OK". Joe takes a drink of coffee in the middle of his reply and toward the end asks Mika if it is OK for him to ask a question because "He is new to this". I wonder if this part will be expunged from the 8 o'clock block.

• Love 4

Joe said that James Comey wants Biden to pardon Trump. Joe said that Biden should consider moving on from Trumpism.

Mika wants Trump to be convicted. Mika is starting to cry argue. She is moving her hands.

Willie supports disqualification.

I suspect Joe is opposed to wanting Trump disqualified from holding office again. Joe has 4 years of rants & op eds material if Trump can run again in 2024. Joe would get very bored trying to discuss policies of the Biden administration.

H

• Love 4