Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

I think Joe’s point about the virus in Europe is that the president is claiming that his travel restrictions on China were instrumental in preventing the spread of the disease. But as it turns out, the restrictions were filled with exemptions and they came too late because the virus had already spread to Europe.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 11

I try to ration myself when it comes to agreeing with Joey but I think there is some merit to his "10 times more in reality." 

Large numbers of deaths are not being attributed to the virus when common sense and circumstance tell us that they should be. 

NYC normally has 20-25 death-in-home calls every day and the wide-ranging causes are determined by autopsy.

Yesterday or the day before there were 279 death-in-home calls and that is a typical number lately. They cannot possibly autopsy or blood test all those bodies and those deaths currently are going into a different tally (respiratory distress, pneumonia, etc).

The virus death tallies reflects those known to have the virus, whether they died in hospitals or at home. But TPTB are beginning to realize (and will soon have to admit) that the virus death tally is badly skewed.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

Joe Scarborough (PhD epidemiology) was seriously walking back his history on potential coronavirus deaths. "The first estimates were one to two million deaths if nothing was done."

I don't remember him saying that last part at the time.

I wonder if someone told Joe to dial it back. He seems a little calmer today. Mika, on the other hand, the more she talks uninterrupted, the more agitated she gets. Like a kid playing Bloody Mary.

I also think she is sighing more which is annoying AF.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, Eliot said:

I think Joe’s point about the virus in Europe is that the president is claiming that his travel restrictions on China were instrumental in preventing the spread of the disease. But as it turns out, the restrictions were filled with exemptions and they came too late because the virus had already spread to Europe.

I suspect that US citizens & green card holders were allowed to return to the USA in February & March. 

Will Mika order a sheet cake for Joe's birthday ?

• Love 3

Although Joe is positively mellow today,  he's got to get a new subject to rant about.  All his daily droning endlessly about testing is getting unbearable. 

We get it. There's not enough testing.  There has never been enough testing. There will never be enough testing.  Until of course,  testing of millions of people is not needed daily. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, suomi said:

I try to ration myself when it comes to agreeing with Joey but I think there is some merit to his "10 times more in reality." 

Large numbers of deaths are not being attributed to the virus when common sense and circumstance tell us that they should be. 

NYC normally has 20-25 death-in-home calls every day and the wide-ranging causes are determined by autopsy.

Yesterday or the day before there were 279 death-in-home calls and that is a typical number lately. They cannot possibly autopsy or blood test all those bodies and those deaths currently are going into a different tally (respiratory distress, pneumonia, etc).

The virus death tallies reflects those known to have the virus, whether they died in hospitals or at home. But TPTB are beginning to realize (and will soon have to admit) that the virus death tally is badly skewed.

I also try to socially distance myself from agreeing with Joe but there’s no way this is not true. In NJ, our company (healthcare but not front line but still open) has 200 employees, 17 people today down with it, only 4 been tested. 
And it also seems to be causing cardiac issues in some to which death is attributed. 

• Love 6

On a more shallow note, one would think that all of the panelists and experts who appear on this show would take a little bit more time and effort with their at-home camera and microphone setups. The sound and video quality from some of these folks is just appalling.

I mean, I'm just your average everyday consultant drone, but when I do video calls with clients, or even internally, I make an EFFORT to ensure everyone can see and understand me.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Eliot said:

I mean, I'm just your average everyday consultant drone, but when I do video calls with clients, or even internally, I make an EFFORT to ensure everyone can see and understand me.

I've not seen 1 person on any channel speak via a land line.  I work from home and have a desk phone.  Know who always has ideal audio on wacky conference calls?  This guy.

• Love 4

The coronavirus death toll projection has been reduced to 60,000.  Joe said the doctors should give us information, and he does not want to hear from Trump.

Joe said this is more people than died on 9/11 and several wars.  Joe claims the president is hurting himself by bragging about his ratings.

Joe and Willie seem like they rehearsed this conversation.

Joe babbled about the economy.  He said we should wait to reopen the economy.  Some people are rushing.  He said the people who want to reopen the economy should go bag groceries or pump gas.  They could get killed by coronavirus, which would teach them. 

Joe is so out of touch that he doesn't realize that people pump their own gas in most states.  

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 1

Mika is hysterical again. I find it exceedingly difficult to listen to her high, breathy, overwrought rantings. I always hesitate to use the word “shrill” when describing how women present themselves, but in this case it is perfectly apt. What’s more, her hysteria is making her verbal stumbles and gaffes even worse. Today, height of irony, she even mispronounced the word “inaccuracies.”

Edited by Eliot
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Eugene Robinson  WAPO op-ed "Trump Might  Want To Get A Headstart On Packing His Bags."

JFC is this the 2020 version of if you're a Democrat living in a blue state, don't bother voting.

CNN had new polling. There's a  big enthusiasm gap between voters wanting to cast a vote on November for trump than those wanting to vote for Biden. Biden and Democrats have a lot of work to do to convince voters. And as of now, no TV or public campaigning to do that.

OK so Eugene Robinson can just shut up now. It's too early to start calling an election. 

• Love 7

I am starting to watch the show now. Mika is wearing a new V neck top. I thought she would wear one of her many Unitarian scarves  for Good Friday.

Joe is still very annoying. He didn't predict how bad the virus would affect the USA either. 

Joe complains about people trying to downplay the crisis to "amp ratings".

He & Mika are trying to "amp ratings" by fear mongering. Joe was touting reports that 2 million Americans would die a few weeks ago.

Would Mika & Joe be so sanguine if their show was cancelled & replaced with a medical show ?

I bet Joe will be the first to complain if taxes are raised on high income individuals to pay for the health costs of the virus.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe complains about people trying to downplay the crisis to "amp ratings".

That doesn't even make sense. If people are starting to feel even a tiny bit more calm, they won't watch cable news as much.  People watch more when there is a tragedy, or they're scared.  

I never understood how we could get to 100,000-200,000 deaths unless nothing was being done and no one was being treated.  I wouldn't be surprised if large crowd gatherings are cancelled til fall at least,  and some type of social distancing guidelines in place til then. 

Joe better get off his ass and go stand in line at Costco and get Crazy Boobs some cake before she completely loses it.  I'm assuming that would be when she shows up at 6 am in only her bra swigging wine out of a bottle and shoving cake her mouth yelling KNOW YOUR VALUE KNOW YOUR VALUE!!!  It'll be like that scene in "Network". 

She'll break the wine bottle on the desk and threaten to cut Joe if he tries to stop her.

Now that's some Morning Joe that would get those ratings Joe is looking for. 

5 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Some people are rushing.  He said the people who want to reopen the economy should go bag groceries or pump gas.  They could get killed by coronavirus, which would teach them. 

Hey dipshit! Ever been thru the self check out line at Target, Wal Mart or the grocery. WE BAG OUR OWN STUFF. And I've been pumping my own gas for like I don't know over 20 years.  Probably close to 30? 

Edited by teddysmom
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

That doesn't even make sense. If people are starting to feel even a tiny bit more calm, they won't watch cable news as much.  People watch more when there is a tragedy, or they're scared.  

I never understood how we could get to 100,000-200,000 deaths unless nothing was being done and no one was being treated.  I wouldn't be surprised if large crowd gatherings are cancelled til fall at least,  and some type of social distancing guidelines in place til then. 

Joe is furious at Fox News for being optimistic that the virus hasn't killed as many people as Joe predicted.

Joe is outraged that the stock market has partially recovered since the lows in March.

Joe is upset that Palm Beach & Jupiter Florida hasn't tested every one yet.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe is furious at Fox News for being optimistic that the virus hasn't killed as many people as Joe predicted.

Joe is outraged that the stock market has partially recovered since the lows in March.

Joe is upset that Palm Beach & Jupiter Florida hasn't tested every one yet.

Yeah Joe we all live with disappointment. 

Think how disappointed we all are when we turn on MSNBC at 6:15 and it's you and Mika instead of two professional journalists who discuss current events in a calm manner, know what they're talking about, check facts and allow guests to speak. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Well this should drive Joe over the edge. 

Joe said that he called funeral homes in Palm Beach & they told him that people had died in the last month.

Joe told viewers that he was right about people dying in Florida.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Joe better get off his ass and go stand in line at Costco and get Crazy Boobs some cake before she completely loses it.  I'm assuming that would be when she shows up at 6 am in only her bra swigging wine out of a bottle and shoving cake her mouth yelling KNOW YOUR VALUE KNOW YOUR VALUE!!!  It'll be like that scene in "Network". 

She'll break the wine bottle on the desk and threaten to cut Joe if he tries to stop her.

Now that's some Morning Joe that would get those ratings Joe is looking for. 

I would pay good money to see this... especially the broken bottle part!

Thanks teddysmom.  And thanks to all of you.  I never watch this show, but I always check in here.  You watch so I don't have to.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Joe babbled about the economy.  He said we should wait to reopen the economy.  Some people are rushing.  He said the people who want to reopen the economy should go bag groceries or pump gas.  They could get killed by coronavirus, which would teach them. 

That is the most entitled, out of touch, rich guy statement ever. He doesn’t even realize that most people are laid off from their jobs as restaurant managers, waitresses, retail manager, security guard or whatever and yeah buddy they want the ecomy re-opened. EVERYONE wants the economy to re-open and the need to do that is what is going to cause the federal government to get their shit together and get testing etc.. available. 
yeah you have a cushy job asshole so you have the luxury to be like I want everyone to stay home and everything to fail for months cuz it’s more entertaining for me. 

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, novhappy said:

That is the most entitled, out of touch, rich guy statement ever. He doesn’t even realize that most people are laid off from their jobs as restaurant managers, waitresses, retail manager, security guard or whatever and yeah buddy they want the ecomy re-opened. EVERYONE wants the economy to re-open and the need to do that is what is going to cause the federal government to get their shit together and get testing etc.. available. 
yeah you have a cushy job asshole so you have the luxury to be like I want everyone to stay home and everything to fail for months cuz it’s more entertaining for me. 

Joe is worried about too many people walking around infecting influential people such as himself.

Joe lacks empathy for those people who live outside his little bubble.

• Love 4
On 4/10/2020 at 4:46 PM, oakville said:

He & Mika are trying to "amp ratings" by fear mongering. Joe was touting reports that 2 million Americans would die a few weeks ago.

I don't understand how there's still confusion about this.

They were pretty clear about it, even through their unnecessary histrionics.

2.2 million deaths was the projected number if no mitigation measures were taken - luckily a lot of states DID eventually start shutting down, so it was adjusted to 100 000 - 200 000 when mitigation measures WERE finally taken. How are people confused about this? Is it because no one does math in school long enough to learn about exponential growth, so they don't understand how only a few days can make a MASSIVE difference? Is the gap between the worst case scenario and the mitigation scenario just too big for people to comprehend? I'm genuinely curious.

If things hadn't been closed down it would have been a humanitarian disaster, and yeah, it would have reached 1-2 million deaths. And yes - the expected numbers were recently revised down to 60 000. But not because the math is wrong, but because the data is flawed and needs to be be artificially aggregated from fifty states with totally different policies and is difficult to collect amid the current chaos. IMO the revision was way, way premature. I suspect we'll still reach 100k by the end of the month, but I very, very much hope I'm wrong. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

Joe's hair looks really odd, kind of like a gray ice cream cone.  Can't Mika's stylist fix it?

The top story is the NY Times story that the president did not take action on coronavirus, despite warnings.  Joe riffed on the story.  This is not helpful to me since I have not read the story and Joe is going off on tangents. 

Joe said more people may die from this than died in Vietnam.  I believe the death toll in Vietnam was around 58,000.

Joe says that the president has no say in how things go because he benched himself to drink Gatorade. Ok, Joe.  

Mika said we could have saved thousands of lives if social distancing started earlier.

Katty Kay is giving me Kim Basinger vibes.  I think it's the lip filler.

• Love 4

Jonathan Lemire has a story about how the ball was dropped.  The total fatalities from Covid-19 are around 21,000.  

I think Jonathan Lemire is the best reporter on this show.  He is much better than most of the MSNBC staff correspondents.

Joe says "we were fighting" to get info from China.  Joe says the outbreaks in NY came from Europe.

The New York Times reported on memos by Peter Navarro.  Oh yeah, Mika is gonna read the NY Times to us.  Do these people do any of their own stories?

Mika cannot even read a story script without messing up.  She's annoying.

Mika and Joe themselves downplayed Covid 19 in January. On January 27 they had an expert on who compared Covid-19 to seasonal flu.  They should roll that tape.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Jonathan Lemire has a story about how the ball was dropped.  The total fatalities from Covid-19 are around 21,000.  

I think Jonathan Lemire is the best reporter on this show.  He is much better than most of the MSNBC staff correspondents.

Joe says "we were fighting" to get info from China.  Joe says the outbreaks in NY came from Europe.

The New York Times reported on memos by Peter Navarro.  Oh yeah, Mika is gonna read the NY Times to us.  Do these people do any of their own stories?

Mika cannot even read a story script without messing up.  She's annoying.

Mika and Joe themselves downplayed Covid 19 in January. On January 27 they had an expert on who compared Covid-19 to seasonal flu.  They should roll that tape.

I agree on Lemire. I like him a lot. I don't know how he suffers with the idiots on MJ, but I always appreciate him when he shows up.

Yes, China lied, we all know that...but our own intelligence agencies had been issuing their own threats and warnings as early as November, so maybe someone should have paid attention.

Mika reading the NYT article was just embarrassing. It's bad enough that she cannot pronounce half the words, but what's the point? We all read it already; the article is two days old. The point of sharing published news on this show isn't to regurgitate other people's writing; it's to provide insight and analysis and thoughtful commentary...oh, wait. This is Mornign Joe. Never mind.

• Love 8
On 4/11/2020 at 5:17 PM, neona said:

I don't understand how there's still confusion about this.

They were pretty clear about it, even through their unnecessary histrionics.

2.2 million deaths was the projected number if no mitigation measures were taken - luckily a lot of states DID eventually start shutting down, so it was adjusted to 100 000 - 200 000 when mitigation measures WERE finally taken. How are people confused about this? Is it because no one does math in school long enough to learn about exponential growth, so they don't understand how only a few days can make a MASSIVE difference? Is the gap between the worst case scenario and the mitigation scenario just too big for people to comprehend? I'm genuinely curious.

If things hadn't been closed down it would have been a humanitarian disaster, and yeah, it would have reached 1-2 million deaths. And yes - the expected numbers were recently revised down to 60 000. But not because the math is wrong, but because the data is flawed and needs to be be artificially aggregated from fifty states with totally different policies and is difficult to collect amid the current chaos. IMO the revision was way, way premature. I suspect we'll still reach 100k by the end of the month, but I very, very much hope I'm wrong. 

The problem is Mika & Joe were practically gleeful at the thought of  2 million people dying  because it politically hurt Trump. The state of emergency & social distancing measures were already in effect which should lead to lower deaths when Joe was screaming about millions dying.

Mika & Joe are too emotional to cover this pandemic. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, oakville said:

The problem is Mika & Joe were practically gleeful at the thought of  2 million people dying  because it politically hurt Trump. The state of emergency & social distancing measures were already in effect which should lead to lower deaths when Joe was screaming about millions dying.

Mika & Joe are too emotional to cover this pandemic. 

I think it's a big step to accuse people of being gleeful about death. Unprepared, yes. Uninformed, late-to-the-game, overly emotional, overly reliant on information from acquaintances as opposed to experts - check, check, check. But gleeful about people dying? Is that truly what you see?

And again Joe was pointing out that DJT backtracked on OPPOSING social distancing when the projections of 2.2 million deaths without mitigation measures were presented to him. Those numbers were highlighted because, at the time, only about half the states believed those measures were even necessary. There's STILL no national lockdown. And because of that, people will die, who didn't need to die. In those circumstances, how is explaining, highlighting, even being emotional about, the worst case scenario inappropriate? 

9 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

kind of like a gray ice cream cone.

Lol this image is going to stick with me.

I honestly can’t remember right now. Has MJ always leaned so heavily on reading NYT and/or WAPO articles? Or is that something newish?

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Has MJ always leaned so heavily on reading NYT and/or WAPO articles? Or is that something newish?

They've always read articles from those pubs and others.  it's possible they are being read with more recent frequency because of the niche expertise required to best understand the many aspects of the pandemic.  Joe can wear a white coat and can riff in anger, but he's not an epidemiologist.
The show anchors segments on articles such as the ones you describe.  It's like the WaPo and NYT are co-producers.

Edited by Landsnark
  • Love 3

I have to wonder when the last time was that Joe did an Op-Ed for The Post?  That kind of stuff gives him gravitas and feeds his ego of being the smartest politician who ever politicianed. 

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, XOQueens said:

Lol this image is going to stick with me.

I honestly can’t remember right now. Has MJ always leaned so heavily on reading NYT and/or WAPO articles? Or is that something newish?

There used to be a daily segment where Mika & Joe left their main desk & would read newspaper articles to the audience at a special glass cocktail table. There was a jar of yellow highlighters on the table that Mika or Joe would use to highlight key parts of the articles they were reading.

Joe would get into trouble for not wearing socks with his shoes. Mika often wore her sheer dresses with Louboutins.

Willie was occasionally allowed to sit at the table if Mika or Joe were away.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Joe feels sorry for people who try to explain what the president says.  Joe says he is worried about the president's mental health.  Joe is doing a painful impression of the president. 

Joe looks like he has aged 20 years in the past two years. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

New York has now reached 10,000 deaths from Covid-19.  Governor Cuomo was shown comparing the virus to 9/11.  Joe says that we don't know the real number of infections.

Joe says a lot of people die at home and never make it to a hospital.  Actually that is true of a lot of deaths from different causes, Joe. 

Joe asked John Heileman whether he ever put his hand on a hot stove.  He compared Trump supporters to people who stick their hand on a stove.

Then Joe went on a diarrhea rant where he conflated about four different concepts.  He says Trump supporters believe it is just the flu. 

Joe should admit that his show featured a medical expert who compared coronavirus to flu.  

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 3

Joe claims to know what upsets the president.  He says the walls are closing in in Wisconsin and Philadelphia.

Why does Joe insist in portraying some deep knowledge how the president feels and thinks?  It is really weird how he keeps suggesting he was close with Trump.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 4

When Mika got her speech on, she worked herself into such a frenzy I was seriously worried she was going to cry.

Was Joe's "thank you" to Gov. Cuomo taped earlier and edited in? Mika and Willie did the introduction and all of the questioning, Joe comes in and says three words and is gone for the rest of the hour. Weird.

And if so, what the hell was so important that he ducked out of an interview with the most prominent Democrat during the pandemic?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe would get into trouble for not wearing socks with his shoes. Mika often wore her sheer dresses with Louboutins.

I'm convinced the purpose of that bit was to show Joe without socks and to show Mika's skirts and 5" Yves St. Laurents.  It's odd that they stopped.  I bet the reasons are entertaining.

Before Cuomo came on, Joe was lecturing Willie for... 6 minutes?  8 minutes?  He covered every topic.  Willie's face was placid but I thought I saw his eyes screaming for help.
Joe looks pretty good.  Not swollen and ruddy.   Mika's yoga sweater cape pajama thing is... odd.  How often do you see a news anchor and say out loud, "What is (he/she) wearing?"

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Landsnark said:

How often do you see a news anchor and say out loud, "What is (he/she) wearing?"

When Kasie Hunt used to wear that god awful white blazer every day, winter spring summer fall. 

Thank God she doesn't wear it anymore. Maybe Mika gave her a Sexy Times Momma makeover. 

• LOL 5

It's interesting that Cuomo was on.  I  think Joe will kiss up to any politician as long as he thinks that he and Mika can get back in with a powerful person. Cuomo also brings the political pedigree that Joe loves. 

Who's up tomorrow, Gavin Newsome?

• LOL 3

I was watching MJ this morning and at 6:03am Mika & Joe said they would be discussing the governors holding a press conference on re-opening their states.  Joe then said, "It's funny, Mika, yesterday afternoon you called me up and you said Cuomo is holding a press conference, etc."  What?  They're husband and wife and stuck down in Florida in their bunker.  It's not like Joe is on assignment traveling or doing anything other than staying home and conducting any/all business by phone/Skype.  So why would Mika have to call him if they are in the same house?  Did I miss something?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

It's interesting that Cuomo was on.  I  think Joe will kiss up to any politician as long as he thinks that he and Mika can get back in with a powerful person. Cuomo also brings the political pedigree that Joe loves. 

Who's up tomorrow, Gavin Newsome?

Mika & Joe's attachment to politicians have usually ended in disaster for the politicians.

If I was  Gov Cuomo or Gov Newsome I would be weary of becoming too friendly with Mika & Joe.

Since I started watching the show, Mika & Joe got personally involved with Governors Christie of New Jersey ,Sanford of South Carolina  & McDonnell of Virginia.

Joe defended all 3 Governors during their scandals.

Mika & Joe were strong defenders of President Trump during the primary & after a meeting with him in Trump tower in September 2016.

Long term viewers of the show remember how MSNBC made special commercials after the election in 2016 to "trumpet", Joe's exclusive access to Trump during the transition.

I really appreciate your early morning recaps NittanyCougar. They are very funny & informative.

I watch CNBC in the morning &  Morning Joe in the late afternoon or evenings with a glass or 2 of wine.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Damaris56 said:

I was watching MJ this morning and at 6:03am Mika & Joe said they would be discussing the governors holding a press conference on re-opening their states.  Joe then said, "It's funny, Mika, yesterday afternoon you called me up and you said Cuomo is holding a press conference, etc."  What?  They're husband and wife and stuck down in Florida in their bunker.  It's not like Joe is on assignment traveling or doing anything other than staying home and conducting any/all business by phone/Skype.  So why would Mika have to call him if they are in the same house?  Did I miss something?

This is hilarious!. Joe may have forgotten that he is stuck living with Mika on a daily basis. They are back to using 2 cameras for Mika & Joe even though they are sitting next to each other. They are pretending to "social distance".

3 hours ago, teddysmom said:

When Kasie Hunt used to wear that god awful white blazer every day, winter spring summer fall. 

Thank God she doesn't wear it anymore. Maybe Mika gave her a Sexy Times Momma makeover. 

Kasie looks much better since she came back from maternity leave. Her hair is longer.

Mika also ordered that the KCDC rockstar lightning bolt introduction stop being used when Kasie appeared.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Landsnark said:

I'm convinced the purpose of that bit was to show Joe without socks and to show Mika's skirts and 5" Yves St. Laurents.  It's odd that they stopped.  I bet the reasons are entertaining.

Not swollen and ruddy.   Mika's yoga sweater cape pajama thing is... odd.  How often do you see a news anchor and say out loud, "What is (he/she) wearing?"

I think Mika loved showing off her skirts before the engagement was announced.

It's sad that Mika is now wearing a purple bathrobe on network television.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2