Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
38 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

ow on Morning Joe: Joe and Mika talk about others' infidelities. 

Mika just said these men should just admit their marriages weren't monogamous and they had sex with women who weren't their wives and "aren't good men." 

I can't. Lol

Wait what? 

Denial is a helluva drug. 

The show started with Mika rolling her eyes becos Joe & Willie wanted to talk about Mark Hamill getting a star on the Walk of Fame, and were aghast he didn't already have one.  So am I. Because we can't acknowledge the man who starred in one of the biggest movie franchises in history for five minutes, can we Mika?  You twit. 

I really wish Kasie would grow a pair and tell them to knock off the lightning. It's demeaning to her, and they know it.  They treat her like she's their little pet or something, and not a professional journalist. I'd love to see Mika run the halls of Congress trying to get a comment from a Senator on an important bill. 

Also Mika, address Claire McCaskill as Senator. I don't care if she's your best friend, she's a Senator. You can call her Claire in private. You don't call Chuck Schumer Chuck, or John McCain John.   

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, XOQueens said:

Now on Morning Joe: Joe and Mika talk about others' infidelities. 

Mika just said these men should just admit their marriages weren't monogamous and they had sex with women who weren't their wives and "aren't good men." 

I can't. Lol

Filing this away for future reference, priceless!

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Filing this away for future reference, priceless!

I kept thinking she was going to stop, or at least slow down, but she just kept picking up steam. Lol. I don't know if she's extremely clueless or extremely clued in and this is a reflection of how uncomfortable she is about herself.

FWIW, I think Joe had a moment of self-awareness because he looked like he wanted to disappear into the table for the rest of the show and he had a really weird, cold interaction with her at the end.

48 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Also Mika, address Claire McCaskill as Senator. I don't care if she's your best friend, she's a Senator. You can call her Claire in private. You don't call Chuck Schumer Chuck, or John McCain John.   

Claire McCaskill looks exactly like my auntie. They could be twins. But to your point, that's a very good point about first names versus titles and last names, and name/title usage of white men vs. women and people of color regarding amount of respect. She needs to learn Senator McCaskill's value.

• Love 5
(edited)
11 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Who exactly were they talking about?  Trump? That's like talking about grass being green. OMG Trump cheated on his wife? Stop the presses. It'd be news if he didn't. 

Everyone. Lol. They named FDR, JFK, Clinton (for approximately the 101st time this morning), Trump, Gary Hart. Probably some others I can't remember, my recall isn't as good as Oakville. "Not good men!" 

Edited by XOQueens
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, XOQueens said:

Now on Morning Joe: Joe and Mika talk about others' infidelities. 

I can't. Lol

Wow! Does Mika not remember what happened to her & Joe’s marriages?

I wonder if they both have early onset dementia? 

18 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

I kept thinking she was going to stop, or at least slow down, but she just kept picking up steam. Lol. I don't know if she's extremely clueless or extremely clued in and this is a reflection of how uncomfortable she is about herself.

FWIW, I think Joe had a moment of self-awareness because he looked like he wanted to disappear into the table for the rest of the show and he had a really weird, cold interaction with her at the end.

Claire McCaskill looks exactly like my auntie. They could be twins. But to your point, that's a very good point about first names versus titles and last names, and name/title usage of white men vs. women and people of color regarding amount of respect. She needs to learn Senator McCaskill's value.

I wonder if McCaskill will appear more often on the show. I read that she is facing a tough Re election race. Anyone from Missouri area on this forum?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, oakville said:

I don't know if she's extremely clueless or extremely clued in and this is a reflection of how uncomfortable she is about herself.

I think both.

SHe's clueless in general, but I think she's not too stupid to realize that this whole affair was public knowledge, she was cheating on her husband, Joe was cheating on his wife, and they had no qualms about running around flaunting it and denying it.  She was too caught up to see how her daughters would be hurt, remember how she used to bad mouth them all the time? 

They're both shallow egotistical and not very bright. 

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, teddysmom said:

The show started with Mika rolling her eyes becos Joe & Willie wanted to talk about Mark Hamill getting a star on the Walk of Fame, and were aghast he didn't already have one.  So am I. Because we can't acknowledge the man who starred in one of the biggest movie franchises in history for five minutes, can we Mika?  You twit. 

That Mika , the Queen of Pop Culture. Loved her disgust at the music talk. Good on Heilman for knowing Seasons in the Sun. And later Joe threw in a McCarthur's Park reference for good measure.

Edited by Orillia
wording
  • Love 2

Can trump even be lumped into the cheating husbands category? He's denied everything including the Access Hollywood tape and a trump voter told me today that "he doesn't do that anymore". LOL

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, stormy said:

Can trump even be lumped into the cheating husbands category? He's denied everything including the Access Hollywood tape and a trump voter told me today that "he doesn't do that anymore". LOL

Sure, maybe if he's too unhealthy to get it up...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Orillia said:

Good on Heilman for knowing Seasons in the Sun. And a McCarthur's Park reference thrown in for good measure.

Oh, what was the "MacArthur Park" reference?  Did he sing, or quote a line?   I heard "Seasons in the Sun" references a few times. 

11 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Sure, maybe if he's too unhealthy to get it up...

Oh the humanity.   What the fuck would any woman EVER see in him, even back in his glory days in the 80s?  

BAAAARRRRFFFF

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, jjj said:

Oh, what was the "MacArthur Park" reference?  Did he sing, or quote a line?   I heard "Seasons in the Sun" references a few times. 

During the next discussion cake was mentioned. Joe kind of mumbled " someone left a cake out in the rain "

• Love 3
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I think both.

SHe's clueless in general, but I think she's not too stupid to realize that this whole affair was public knowledge, she was cheating on her husband, Joe was cheating on his wife, and they had no qualms about running around flaunting it and denying it.  She was too caught up to see how her daughters would be hurt, remember how she used to bad mouth them all the time? 

They're both shallow egotistical and not very bright. 

I remember when Mika was very angry at one of her daughters for ordering Dominoes pizza while she was away with Joe during the election in 2010 or 2012.

They used her credit card. They also ordered extra toppings. This was around the time when Mika was writing her book about eating disorders.

Mika said Dominoes pizza was unhealthy.

Mika's kids must be shocked at her mom's comments today. Luckily for her , Mika's ex husband, Jim Hoffer has stayed pretty quiet about her antics.

23 minutes ago, Orillia said:

During the next discussion cake was mentioned. Joe kind of mumbled " someone left a cake out in the rain "

Mika loves cake. They always have cake at the end of the show when it is someone's birthday. I like cake too. Cake for breakfast makes me happy. Not as happy as warm cookies after surgery though....

• Love 8
4 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Wait what? 

Denial is a helluva drug. 

I really wish Kasie would grow a pair and tell them to knock off the lightning. It's demeaning to her, and they know it.  They treat her like she's their little pet or something, and not a professional journalist. I'd love to see Mika run the halls of Congress trying to get a comment from a Senator on an important bill. 

I get really angry at Mika for treating my favourite MSNBC reporter/anchor this way. Kasie ! did not need a lightning bolt intro at 6 am. Kasie! is a rising star & will one day be a bigger star than Mika.

Mika used to belittle Savannah Guthrie when she was the White House Reporter for the show. Savannah would be out in the rain/snow at 6 am & Mika would mock her for not wearing a proper raincoat or whatever. It was outrageous & Savannah would have to smile meekly at Mika's put downs.

Savannah now has a higher profile job at NBC than Mika. I always thought Savannah & Chuck Todd would replace Mika & Joe if they left for CBS. They had a show that aired right after Morning Joe post 2008. I think it was called White House Countdown or something like that. Chuck got the first scoop on the White House menu at Lunch. He knew what the Soup of the Day was before anyone else.

Ali Velshi & Stephanie Ruhle could replace Mika & Joe if they get too outrageous with their contract demands.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, oakville said:

I get really angry at Mika for treating my favourite MSNBC reporter/anchor this way. Kasie ! did not need a lightning bolt intro at 6 am. Kasie! is a rising star & will one day be a bigger star than Mika.

I think their contracts may be up this year?  I agree Oakville, Kasie! in my opinion already has surpassed Mika.  I am hoping they gave her that Sunday evening show as a tune up for bigger things.  Like Morning Kasie!.

I believe their base of power may be wobbling with Andy Lack pouring all of that unfortunate money into Megyn Kelly.  Phil Griffith may not be far behind as I believe he wanted to dismantle the very successful evening line up.  Unloading those two ingrates (and their huge salaries) and plugging in a more dynamic/deserving team whose personal lives/emotions don't overshadow the news du jour wouldn't be out of the question.  I notice the two of them don't wander off for a half hour anymore, maybe those footsteps are getting close.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, XOQueens said:

I wish someone's final thought was:: You could at least let Mika Know Your Value have a women's segment on International Women's Day. 

?‍♀️

It's true! In Canada, our Prime Minister Trudeau is giving a big speech on the topic. His motorcade was blocking traffic near my office today.

Mika used to have a Women's Power segment between 8:30 am - 9:00 am a few years ago on Morning Joe. Joe was the Director in the Control room.

Now she hosts Facebook Live with chickens at her home after the show. I don't get it.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Kasie! in my opinion already has surpassed Mika. 

Kasie was tweeting about something this morning and I replied to her "off topic, please tell Mika & Joe to stop the lightning. You're a professional political correspondent, which neither of them are, we see you cringe when they do it.  It's insulting and you deserve better". 

47 minutes ago, oakville said:

They used her credit card. They also ordered extra toppings.

That's pretty rich considering Mika got Joe's card out of his wallet and waved it around last week when they were going to go shopping at Dick's. 

Who's the spoiled brat now? 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

I think their contracts may be up this year?  I agree Oakville, Kasie! in my opinion already has surpassed Mika.  I am hoping they gave her that Sunday evening show as a tune up for bigger things.  Like Morning Kasie!.

I believe their base of power may be wobbling with Andy Lack pouring all of that unfortunate money into Megyn Kelly.  Phil Griffith may not be far behind as I believe he wanted to dismantle the very successful evening line up.  Unloading those two ingrates (and their huge salaries) and plugging in a more dynamic/deserving team whose personal lives/emotions don't overshadow the news du jour wouldn't be out of the question.  I notice the two of them don't wander off for a half hour anymore, maybe those footsteps are getting close.

Agreed. The last time I checked, Mika & Joe are earning about $12M per year. TV ad revenue for the show was approximately $30-35M. Megyn Kelly makes makes over $20M & has been a ratings & professional dud. Her show is virtually unwatchable. Morning Joe's ratings are around 1M viewers per day which is very good, but interest in Cable News has soared since Trump started his campaign in 2015.

Mika & Joe have burned too many bridges politically speaking with Clinton & Trump. They are now leaders of the anti-Trump brigade on Morning TV. There is a TV audience for that .  If Trump leaves office, what's the focus of the show? Get irate at everything President Pence or President Democrat says? They need to freshen up the panelist list & turn to other topics. I was hopeful yesterday when they discussed Syria- Kurds for a bit with Senator Cruz.

Getting on their high horses about Trump's infidelities when they both have pretty much confirmed their infidelities is stupid.

I was watching New Day this morning and it was OK.  I flipped over to Fox & Friends & it was bizarre but I recognized Rachel Campos from the Real World.

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika used to belittle Savannah Guthrie when she was the White House Reporter for the show. Savannah would be out in the rain/snow at 6 am & Mika would mock her for not wearing a proper raincoat or whatever. It was outrageous & Savannah would have to smile meekly at Mika's put downs.

Savannah now has a higher profile job at NBC than Mika. I always thought Savannah & Chuck Todd would replace Mika & Joe if they left for CBS. They had a show that aired right after Morning Joe post 2008. I think it was called White House Countdown or something like that. Chuck got the first scoop on the White House menu at Lunch. He knew what the Soup of the Day was before anyone else.

Ali Velshi & Stephanie Ruhle could replace Mika & Joe if they get too outrageous with their contract demands.

I've thought for a while that the weird decision to give Velshi and Ruhle separate shows AND a joint show was a way to rein in too many demands from Mika and Joe.

Ineresting about how she treated Savannah. Guthrie got the same thing from Nancy Grace when she was a young beautiful lawyer-reporter at Court TV. Grace was always obnoxious and condescending, putting her down on camera.  I don't like Gutherie much now, but she put up with Mika and Grace and took the nastiness with complete professionalism.  So it's kind of nice to see how her star rose and she wound up being a far bigger success than either of them.  

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, oakville said:

If Ali and Stephanie took over I'd either get a DVR for the first time ever or be late to work every day so I could watch.  Or both.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Mika is singled out in the NRA's latest ad spot again. 

I think you mean "Joe's fiancee" is singled out.....  She is his property you know. He took her from another man. 

Sexy cable news anchor?  Does sexy mean something other than what I think it means? 

• Love 3

Holy shit, that succubus harpy from the NRA produced a video and called out Mika by name with a vague threat of violence!!!!!  Sweet jesus, what's happening in our world??

Who the frick is this chick?  She looks like the type that Trump would want to do. And where the hell did NRA TV come from??  Mother, I'm scared......

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I think you mean "Joe's fiancee" is singled out.....  She is his property you know. He took her from another man. 

Lol!! Touché. How could I forget that. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Maybe she doesn't want to sink to their level , or maybe she knows that the more she lets on that it bothers her , the more they'll do it. But you're right , it would be nice if she occasionally said something or at least gave them a look. I have a feeling she's going to have the last laugh.

• Love 4

They must have had something to do with her getting the Sunday show, pushed Griffin or Lack for it. They act like they own her, and she seems beholden to them.    It's a shame, she hosts that Sunday show all by herself and does just fine.  No yelling, no posing at the camera, I may not always like the guests, I don't watch it too much but what I've seen she is great.  

17 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Who the frick is this chick?  She looks like the type that Trump would want to do. And where the hell did NRA TV come from??  Mother, I'm scared......

https://www.salon.com/2018/03/05/john-oliver-compares-nra-tv-to-deranged-letter-from-a-serial-killer/

Explains it all right here. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Wait, what?  Those two chuckleheads won an award?  They won an award?????  For what, most hours M.I.A. from your own program?  I missed the beginning of the segment so I had to go look it up:

https://www.rtdna.org/article/rtdnf_announces_2018_first_amendment_award_honorees

Ok, the one that beats their award for the WTF category is Chuck Todd winning the top prize for defending the First Amendment.  Oh yes, his is the first name that springs to mind when I hear that being discussed and doing the most to defend reporter's freedoms.  I guess Jake Tapper's nomination got lost in the mail.

Good grief, they don't even deserve a participation award.  

eta:  Please know I am very happy for those that work behind the scenes as pulling that show together each day must be a nightmare with all their personal and constantly moving logistics so good on you Alex and team!

Edited by Chloesmom
  • Love 7

Wait, what?  Those two chuckleheads won an award?  They won an award?????  For what, most hours M.I.A. from your own program?  I missed the beginning of the segment so I had to go look it up:

https://www.rtdna.org/article/rtdnf_announces_2018_first_amendment_award_honorees

Ok, the one that beats their award for the WTF category is Chuck Todd winning the top prize for defending the First Amendment.  Oh yes, his is the first name that springs to mind when I hear that being discussed and doing the most to defend reporter's freedoms.  I guess Jake Tapper's nomination got lost in the mail.

• Love 3

Friday recap from a different part of the house that has a Cable Box which is playing MSNBC. The main DVR has Fox & CNN but no MSNBC or French CBC News. Bizarre.

Anyway, Mika & Joe are in Washington with Heidi , Ratner & Andrea Mitchell. I missed the first 20 minutes.

North Korea is the top topic.

Mika's theory is that Trump was worried about the Stormy Daniels news, so decided to leak the info about the North Korea meeting to the media to change the topics.

Joe said Clinton got played by Kim's dad in 1994. The North Koreans didn't abide by the agreement negotiated.

Nick Burns said the USA is missing key diplomats in the region.

Tillerson was asleep & out of the loop.

Korea will probably cheat on this deal . Trump is a rube who will accept Kim's flattery because he likes photo ops.

If Kim gives up his weapons, then he could end up dead like Saddam Hussein & Gaddafi.

The next big topic was Mika & Joe winning the presitigious Zidenberg award for First amendment rights.

They are spending a long time discussing their award. Phil Griffin never told Mika & Joe what they can say on TV.

Willie said Giffin had concern about Mika & Joe's behavior.

Joe said he had COMPLETE power over the content of the show.

Mika said she never watched Scarborough Country. Andrea Mitchell was the first important person to show up.

Mika is wearing a Presbyterian scarf today with a Bond Villain Black Turtleneck.

Joe is mad about steel tariffs . It will cost more jobs than it creates.

Canada & Mexico is exempt.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

LOL!. Chuck Todd used to lecture the Clinton campaign that it wasn't his job to challenge any lies from the Trump campaign. Chuck also refuses to disclose his wife' work for various campaign when he in interviews the candidates. In Canada, you have to disclose any conflicts on air.

• Love 4

Did Bob Woodward just say he's a writing a book on Trump? And, did he then start praising Trump for his North Korea move, saying there are possibilities of a good outcome and what are the alternatives?! And then did Mika smirk at that?

I did more than smirk. I wanted to kick Woodward's a$$ right off that set. How dare he pretend to analyze today's news when what he's actually doing is buttering Trump up for a book?! That man should not be invited on any punditry show, ever, since it's all about him getting access for a book! Not legitimate analysis.

• Love 11

They showed the clip of Trump offering condolescens to the steelworker's dad who was not dead. Joe said it was like Veep. Mika made faces.

They forgot that Joe Biden used to make similar gaffes with people in wheelchairs.

Clips of Clinton in 1994 saying that Korea will be nuclear free. It didn't work out.

This issue reminds me of the US Iran deal a few years ago. Joe went on tirades against Obama for giving into Iran & that they are cheaters with nuclear deals.

Most of the MSNBC panelists back then were supportive of the Iran deal.

Bob Woodward is writing a book on Trump. Mika smirked at him. Bob said you have to talk to Korea. The alternative is worse.

4 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

You're on location!

Ha!. I am in the kitchen. I think I would like to do a podcast commentary on this show when I retire. I am not sure if they will still be on TV.

Mika is skeptical of Trump. He's doomed. He has no clue what he is doing. Summits are dangerous.

Reagan & Gorbachev tried to do a deal in Iceland. It didn't work

8 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Did Bob Woodward just say he's a writing a book on Trump? And, did he then start praising Trump for his North Korea move, saying there are possibilities of a good outcome and what are the alternatives?! And then did Mika smirk at that?

I did more than smirk. I wanted to kick Woodward's a$$ right off that set. How dare he pretend to analyze today's news when what he's actually doing is buttering Trump up for a book?! That man should not be invited on any punditry show, ever, since it's all about him getting access for a book! Not legitimate analysis.

Agreed!. Mika is right. Woodward wrote flattering books on Bush Jr when he was President.

• Love 5

Woodward wrote flattering books on Bush Jr when he was President.

My point is, Woodward's flattering Trump now -- talking about how this move with North Korea could work and how it was probably pre-planned -- in order to be on Trump's good side to write a book. Whether the book, itself, ends up being flattering, I don't know! If it is, Woodward will be done, that's for sure.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Joe got a woman to hold his hand on air!

giphy.gif

This whole segment made my ears hurt.  They mock Trump for his Dear Leader moments, this one wasn't too far behind.  Poor Andrea, now she has Scarborough Country Cooties on her.

• Love 3

Love how stupid bloviating rantsypants claimed that Trump meeting NK's dictator is identical to Obama preventing Iran from getting nukes.  Fucking idiot gasbag.  LOVE how his guest waited for his spittle-flecked rant to end and said, "If not for that agreement, Iran would have nukes.  He prevented them from getting nukes.  So, there's that."  Joe said, "well.."

Also, fwiw, you all are very very funny.  Coffee + this board =  :)

• Love 5
(edited)

7:05 AM--Jeffrey Goldberg: "Trump thinks Obama was a wooly-haired Law Professor."  Okay then,Massah.  Isn't that a bit....extreme??

Oy, enough with the "Mika is above pop culture and movies."  This is a masterful piece of humblebragging.  If I never again have to hear about Wedding Crashers, I'll be ok.

General Martin Dempsey (at 8:45) is Jeff Sessions brother I am sure.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

This whole segment made my ears hurt.  They mock Trump for his Dear Leader moments, this one wasn't too far behind.  Poor Andrea, now she has Scarborough Country Cooties on her.

Poor Andrea my gluteus Maximus! She initiated that cootie contact, physically and metaphorically. ?

(edited)
15 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

7:05 AM--Jeffrey Goldberg: "Trump thinks Obama was a wooly-haired Law Professor."  Okay then,Massah.  Isn't that a bit....extreme??

Oy, enough with the "Mika is above pop culture and movies."  This is a masterful piece of humblebragging.  If I never again have to hear about Wedding Crashers, I'll be ok.

I had never heard that expression before, so to my ear it came off as latently racist. Is it a common expression in the US? Even if is a common expression, it's still an unfortunate use in an unfortunate context, at best.

On movies: Such a weird regular segment. Today though, she looked legit upset and scooted her chair closer to him when Joe called her a snob. Anyway, in my likely unpopular opinion lol, I think Joe and Willie (and Heilmann and Donnie) like making fun of her for it more than Mika likes to humblebrag because this could easily die down if they'd stop bringing it up and suggesting (and Joe stopped showing) Mika watch the most un-Mika movies ever. 

Edited by XOQueens
  • Love 2

this could easily die down if they'd stop bringing it up and suggesting (and Joe stopped showing) Mika watch the most un-Mika movies ever. 

Yeah, they could throw her a bone with something artsy like "Call Me By Your Name,' or at least "Chicken Run."

• Love 2
14 hours ago, XOQueens said:

Thanks for this link. I keep meaning to watch the John Oliver special but haven't done so yet and this reminded me again.

Another one that's really good is Jordan Klepper Solves Guns.  

Thank Goodness we didn't have to go more than a couple days without Joe bashing Barack Obama for something.   

I'm no expert on Korea, but I would be very very careful about trusting Kim Jong Un.  Putin has been circling him for the last couple years, they're known to be pushing him to make these statements to goad Trump. 

This is what happens when we have virtually no State Dept. 

Why don't they get Mika to watch The Crown? 

That would be right up her "I'm from European royalty" line of BS. 

Not dissing The Crown. I adore it.  But it's high brow, historical drama and damn good. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

7:05 AM--Jeffrey Goldberg: "Trump thinks Obama was a wooly-haired Law Professor."

I think he was thinking more Einstein than straight-up racism.  The meaning is that Obama is a wonk, nerd, academic who doesn't do mundane things like tame his hair because he's more worried about books.  I think that's the meaning.  More absent-minded professor than slur.

• Love 1

Yeah I think it was a little racist. Why bring up hair? That's always been a slur re African Americans. Remember Don Imus and his nappy headed comment?   Also Einstein wasn't a law professor, he was a theoretical physicist. 

Obama doesn't have "wooly hair". His hair has always been very short, at least since he got out of college. Even then he wasn't exactly Jimi Hendrix. 

FYI Mika, Jimi Hendrix was a very popular rock guitarist, singer and songwriter, probably one of the most influential of the 20th Century. I'm sure Joe has mentioned him, but you were probably busy working on the algorithms necessary to launch the Space X Rocket, and writing symphonies. 

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

I think he was thinking more Einstein than straight-up racism.  The meaning is that Obama is a wonk, nerd, academic who doesn't do mundane things like tame his hair because he's more worried about books.  I think that's the meaning.  More absent-minded professor than slur.

I didn't see the segment; I was listening to it on the radio. But I think it was one of those unfortunate comments that wasn't intended to be racist but ended up sounding racist in context. I could almost hear Goldberg re-thinking it as it was coming out of his mouth.