Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Friday Recap. Mika & Joe are in Florida. Trump is doomed according to Joe. He only has 31% support.

Donny called him obese & physically disgusting. Mika & Joe had to tell him to calm down.

It's back to the low energy panel.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Donny called him obese & physically disgusting. Mika & Joe had to tell him to calm down.

Joe made fun of what Trump looks like in a golf shirt. It was petty, but I laughed anyway.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
24 minutes ago, Eliot said:

Joe made fun of what Trump looks like in a golf shirt. It was petty, but I laughed anyway.

I'm surprised he didn't go for the photo of him in the white tennis shorts. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I couldn't hear what Del Persio was whining about this morning, she & Joe were talking after they showed the clip of Schiff spanking the Republicans in the Intel Committee. 

It was just more of her scrunched up pained look agreeing with Joe about Adam Schiff's smackdown but prefacing it with I don't agree with his policies. Blah blah blah.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, stormy said:

I don't agree with his policies

Oh, like disapproving of  the President selling the country out to foreign countries? 

These pundits twist into pretzels to not align themselves with Democrats. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, teddysmom said:

These pundits twist into pretzels to not align themselves with Democrats. 

One big problem I have with the show is that the Dem pundits tend to be "Third Way" centrists types who are totally dismissive of actual progressive thought. (Think Claire McCaskill)

So you get stuff like Obama administration official Steve Ratner refusing to even engage in a discussion of policies like Medicare for All and the Green New Deal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think the reason I get annoyed with Ratner, Donnie and Claire McK is their total disdain for some of the more progressive ideas from the newer politicians. Yes, those ideas are not in the mainstream. And will not win a majority of voters.  But listening to MJ and other talking heads, these ideas are crazy and need to be shut down immediately.  That is what went so wrong in the last election; many people felt they had no voice in the process; that the candidate was preordained.  

Maybe the show needs some new, young voices once in awhile.  I say this as a senior citizen; I would like to listen to a few pundits under 35-40.  Then again, Meeka is hung-up on "The MJ Family" so I doubt things will change.  

• Love 6

Claire was a Democratic Senator from Missouri so I wouldn't expect she would hear a lot of clamoring for progressive policies from her constituents.  But both she and Joe, having been in Congress, should understand that progressive Dems were elected by their constituents to represent them and the policies they are clamoring for.  That's what representative government means.  It's insulting to our intelligence and our democracy to hear them saying the progressive Dems need to be shut down.  Without progressive ideas, there is no progress.  Without progressive ideas, women still wouldn't have the right to vote, seniors wouldn't have Social Security, and babies with heart problems would have pre-existing conditions and couldn't get health insurance.  Moreover, what is progressive in the US has been standard in most of the rest of the world for a long time, so those progressive ideas are hardly radical or dangerous.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 6

I think what moderates are saying is that most of the red districts which the Democrats flipped are moderate so they have to hold on to those seats in 2020 and signing onto AOC agenda may not work in those districts.

Then you have Bernie and his activists supporters imposing litmus and purity tests and forcing the whole field and possibly the platform to the left.

Quinnipiac poll came out and Medicare for All polls at 43% support, 45% oppose.  I know there are other polls which show greater support but often in all polls, when details of how MFA would be implemented were discussed, support would drop.

I'm personally for M4A but I think a lot of Americans are going to be resistant to big change, especially to the unknown.  Advocates can say it will be better but a lot of people won't take that leap.

So many candidates say that M4A is aspirational and that they support shoring up the ACA or offering some transition options like letting people buy into Medicare instead of getting private insurance.

But right now, most of the excitement and waves are being generated by people like AOC.  Bernie of course has avid supporters.  So more moderate voices in the Democratic party are being overshadowed at the moment.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Moderates are what we've had for decades and that got us to where we are now, so I can see why moderates are not generating excitement and progressives are.  Moderate Dems are not very different from moderate Republicans, which leads to us not being able to tell the difference between Republican Joe and Democratic Claire.  Status quo is not exciting; it is, in fact and by definition, sticking to what we have which is not working.  Claire and Joe may not like it, but Missouri-style moderation is not representative of all Dems. 

Edited by izabella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, izabella said:

Claire was a Democratic Senator from Missouri so I wouldn't expect she would hear a lot of clamoring for progressive policies from her constituents.

That was actually one of the strangest stories about the 2018 election, at least to me. When Missouri voters voted directly on policy (on the same ballot) they were overwhelmingly in support of progressive policy. In her post-career postmortems, a lot of time was spent on the “malpractice of her campaign” on being so disparaging on the progressive issues her constituents actually widely supported. It’s some pretty interesting reading, if you’re into that sort of thing, and really made me rethink some of the preconceived notions I had (and Morning Joe has) about middle of the country Dems. 

ETA MJ not bothering to touch on this topic in any sort of real depth, however, is so perfectly emblematic of all the shows issues: cronyism and “Friend of the Show” protection at the intersection of their Beltway blinders. 

Edited by XOQueens
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 3/29/2019 at 10:52 AM, stormy said:

It was just more of her scrunched up pained look agreeing with Joe about Adam Schiff's smackdown but prefacing it with I don't agree with his policies. Blah blah blah.

She is on the show because she agrees with Joe.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Joe is very upset at VP Biden being criticized for his interactions with Ms. Flores. I expect a full 5 minute rant defending  "Uncle Joe " tomorrow. Joe will say that Democrats are DOOMED if they don't vote for Biden .

If Biden withdraws from contesting the nomination, Mika will have to issue a statement saying that Biden never harassed her. She did this for  friend of the show, Tom Brokaw.:)

• Love 1
(edited)

Mika discussing the Flores allegations again this morning and I'm feeling triggered.

When I was a child my Aunt Gigi would always plant a big, greasy, lipsticky kiss on my cheek every time she came to visit.   I hated it.  HATED it.   But of course I said nothing, because that would have been impolite.   It was just the way her generation did things.

Sometimes at family gatherings my siblings and I laugh about Aunt Gigi's unwelcome kisses.   But now I'm thinking maybe we should be going on TV and declaring ourselves victims. 

All snark aside, wtf has happened to people?   Flores herself said there was no sexual intent.   Whatever became of the fine art of shrugging things off?

Edited by millennium
  • Love 7
(edited)

I love me some Joe Biden but this is one more instance among many and he also sniffed her hair, which is ooky. It pains me deeply to say it but no one, not even Uncle Joe, should get a pass on shit this obvious. And ooky. Is it OK because that's just his way and he does it on camera? Nope, and nope.

I do like how the show is not shy about displaying the entirely repulsive pics of 45 used by much of the media. Joey has been admirably restrained so far this morning. 

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Love 3

I fear we are going to be subjected to KYV for an entire month?  What was Meeka going on about? That she (meaning KYV) would be there for "them" 24/7 or some such.  Sweet Jesus, give me Joe ranting for the entire 2 hours and 10 minutes. Or however long the actual show is.

• Love 2

Forgot to say I hear ya, millennium. Jeez, the memories we carry for years, right? But Aunt Gigi didn't represent a demographic with a widely known and widespread unsavory history. (I hope).

When my nephew brings his littles over I follow their lead. If they initiate cuddles or hugs I'm good with that and when they don't I'm good with that. What I don't like is when the 'rents say "Give hugs." If it's like that I say "I'll catch one next time" or "I'll hug me and you hug you" and we do that and blow kisses with smiles. And then usually sometime during the visit they climb on me for a hug when it's their idea. 

Joey has not ranted or raved once this morning, not that I saw, and he hasn't interrupted anyone. New meds? Usual meds, correct dose?  

I noticed that too, Kemper. Who is Mika's "them"? Oooh, she's making promises about the 8:00 hour. Does that mean it won't be just a highlight reel?

• Love 3

I missed most of the show because the DVR wasn't working. Joe did go into a rant around 8:30 am to protect Biden. He demanded that the Catherine Clark admit that Joe was an honorable Democrat who devoted his life to Public Service.

Mika is worried about Flores having political motivations by supporting Bernie Sanders.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe is very upset at VP Biden being criticized for his interactions with Ms. Flores. I expect a full 5 minute rant defending  "Uncle Joe " tomorrow. Joe will say that Democrats are DOOMED if they don't vote for Biden .

If Biden withdraws from contesting the nomination, Mika will have to issue a statement saying that Biden never harassed her. She did this for  friend of the show, Tom Brokaw.:)

Didn’t Joe once or twice rant about the ways men pose with Mika at book signings? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

fear we are going to be subjected to KYV for an entire month?  What was Meeka going on about? That she (meaning KYV) would be there for "them" 24/7 or some such.  Sweet Jesus, give me Joe ranting for the entire 2 hours and 10 minutes. Or however long the actual show is.

Yes that five minute infomercial for KYV? I had just watched last night's episode of VEEP and I was channelling some Selena Meyer style rage after that. Why the fuck does MSNBC allow her to do this? 

15 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika is worried about Flores having political motivations by supporting Bernie Sanders.

That's the rumor going around. That she pulled this in 2016 too.   

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

Didn’t Joe once or twice rant about the ways men pose with Mika at book signings? 

Yes! Joe got mad that some men were getting too close to Mika at the signings.

Joe is very protective of MIka & agreed to show up to all her book signings to protect her .

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, suomi said:

I love me some Joe Biden but this is one more instance among many and he also sniffed her hair, which is ooky. It pains me deeply to say it but no one, not even Uncle Joe, should get a pass on shit this obvious. And ooky. Is it OK because that's just his way and he does it on camera? Nope, and nope.

I do like how the show is not shy about displaying the entirely repulsive pics of 45 used by much of the media. Joey has been admirably restrained so far this morning. 

I feel like Joe and Mika were just being deliberately obtuse about the whole thing. NO, no one, including Flores, was saying that Joe Biden = Harvey Weinstein. But he clearly does not understand personal boundaries and how violating those boundaries makes some women feel uncomfortable. The easy solution is, I dunno, for everyone to STOP BEING SO HANDSY AND KEEP YOUR FACE OUT OF PEOPLE'S HAIR. See? Not hard.

And btw Joe, the mantra is "believe women," not "believe all women," which simply means that when a woman comes forward with a story she should not be dismissed out of hand.

Mika is just all of the place with her stance on this. I'm not entirely sure what she's driving at or trying to prove because she's so inarticulate she can't get her point across.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

nd btw Joe, the mantra is "believe women," not "believe all women," which simply means that when a woman comes forward with a story she should not be dismissed out of hand.

Mika is just all of the place with her stance on this. I'm not entirely sure what she's driving at or trying to prove because she's so inarticulate she can't get her point across.

I have to say I'm surprised Jill Biden hasn't told Joe that he shouldn't hug people and touch like that.  Unless it's someone you know particularly well. Esp women.  Even if they can brush it off, it's still creepy.  You want to hug, go for the kids (ask parents first). 

Mika is like a 3 year old. You shake a set of keys in front of her and she completely forgets what she was doing.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Eliot said:

And btw Joe, the mantra is "believe women," not "believe all women," which simply means that when a woman comes forward with a story she should not be dismissed out of hand.

So much this.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Eliot said:

Mika's profound inarticulateness is definitely a major problem, but I think another problem is that her boss made what could be considered "inappropriate advances" toward her, but she actually liked it and willingly embarked on a bilaterally extramarital affair, which eventually resulted in the dissolution of both marriages and her marrying the boss. So, on many levels, she just doesn't get it. To her, a boss hitting on you is no different than a cute guy at a bar doing the same. She probably thinks that if the women in these various situations weren't into it, all they had to do was pretend they were on their periods or fake a call from their nanny or whatever. She doesn't see Joe as a predator or a potential rapist. He's just a guy who really liked her and, the good news is, she liked him too! So all the power dynamics stuff is lost on her. Her "power dynamics" worked out to get her a big raise and, eventually, a husband upgrade! KYV!

• Love 6

Tuesday Recap. Mika & Joe are in Florida. Joe mocked all the times Trump promised better healthcare. Trump is now postponing a new healthcare plan till after the election.

Joe is mad at Trump for approving 25 security clearance denials.

Joe is mad at Trump for many things.

Katty will try to explain Brexit votes.

Mika & Joe like Mayor Pete. He raised $7M. Kamala Harris raised $12M

• Love 3

Joe is mad at the small donation amounts. He wants the campaign to focus on the total amount of money raised.

Joe forgot that Jeb Bush raised $100M before the campaign started . He got very few votes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Mika was upset that she had to report on a second woman complaining about Joe Biden touching her inappropriately. Mika allowed Joe to go on a long rant. Joe said he used to hug supporters. Joe said politicians used to hug supporters .

Mika was happy that David Brooks from the ny times supported Biden . He was just being friendly. Mika called him joyous Joe. Mika is pushing back. Mika is mad at the women for getting national attention. Mika said Joe was not sexual.

Mika said its equal pay day. It's important to support due process.

Kaatty Kay said Metoo has to become mature.

• Love 3

Katty said people can't agree on how to leave the European Union. Katty asked for Joe for a plan. Joe wants a second referendum. Joe bragged about the US system of checks and balances. Katty said both sides are entrenched.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika was upset that she had to report on a second woman complaining about Joe Biden touching her inappropriately. Mika allowed Joe to go on a long rant. Joe said he used to hug supporters. Joe said politicians used to hug supporters .

Mika was happy that David Brooks from the ny times supported Biden . He was just being friendly. Mika called him joyous Joe. Mika is pushing back. Mika is mad at the women for getting national attention. Mika said Joe was not sexual.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

(edited)

Mika has started her KYV commercial at 7 36 am. Mika will be interviewing Valerie Jarret. Mika supports the Lily Lebetter act.

Mika has her own newsletter.

Mika had trouble introducing the new candidate for the Senate in New Mexico. She stumbled over his name & the position he was running for.

Edited by oakville

Mika had trouble pronouncing the word issue. She called it issher.

More advertising for Joe's concert.

I wonder if Mika & Joe get a discount for all the commercials they do for their own seminars, band performances.

What's next? Will Mika sell her clothes or scarves on the show?

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika & Joe discussed being on Celebrity Apprentice with Trump.

Wait what?  They were on Celebrity Apprentice?  When did this happen? 

I never watched an episode of either versions. 

Or are they just talking about people in general being on it.   Yeah I can see Mika out on Fifth Avenue begging strangers to buy her gourmet hot dogs. 

• Love 2

Mika started discussing the Metoo movement again. Mika  is outraged that Joe Biden may have to abandon his bid for the Presidency because he rubbed his nose inappropriately at a woman.

Mika was happy about the Barbara Bush book. Barbara did not like Trump & said she was no longer a Republican before she died. She kept a diary.

Mika is getting really angry. Joe has left the bunker. Katty Kay said the media cannot be a judge & jury

3 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Wait what?  They were on Celebrity Apprentice?  When did this happen? 

I never watched an episode of either versions. 

Or are they just talking about people in general being on it.   Yeah I can see Mika out on Fifth Avenue begging strangers to buy her gourmet hot dogs. 

I do remember Mika & Joe being on the show. It was for a golf tournament. Mika & Joe were not contestants but were one of the celebrity guests on the episode

Just now, oakville said:

I do remember Mika & Joe being on the show. It was for a golf tournament. Mika & Joe were not contestants but were one of the celebrity guests on the episode

Oh!  Thanks!!! 

• Love 1

Mika was insufferably rude to the author who wrote the book about Trump cheating at golf. You could tell she was bored by the entire topic - she kept huffing and squirming and tried three times to cut off the discussion.

Kind of how I feel when she's plugging her worthless books.

Also, she was in high dudgeon over the Biden allegations, once again missing the entire point. Standards and mores have changed since Biden was a retail politician, and that's a GOOD thing. And good on him for recognizing it and promising to do better. Why not get all this shit out of the way before he enters the race so he doesn't have to deal with it later? FFS, Mika, it's not a personal assault on you!!!

• Love 8

I wonder if Mika & Joe get a discount for all the commercials they do for their own seminars, band performances.

MSNBC needs to put some language about ethics into all the contracts.  Chris Matthews, Chris Hayes, and Lawrence O'Donnell have all used their own air time to shill their own books, book tours, etc.  None of it is ok, IMNSHO.

Mika has her own newsletter.

Who writes it?

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

FFS, Mika, it's not a personal assault on you!!!

Everything is about Mika!!!!

1 hour ago, Eliot said:

Mika was insufferably rude to the author who wrote the book about Trump cheating at golf. You could tell she was bored by the entire topic - she kept huffing and squirming and tried three times to cut off the discussion.

It was sports related.  If Joe starts talking about sports, she's not included and we know how well that goes over.   We all know Trump would cheat at golf, but this book sounds very interesting from a "is there nothing this guy won't lie about?" stand point. 

I really wonder sometimes just what was going on when she grew up.  If she truly was pushed to be an academic, then why isn't she?   On what subject is she even close to being knowledgeable?  Pouting? Feigning outrage?   She got where she is by being a scold and a flirt.

This is not what helps women get ahead. Everyone else hosting a show on this network has some background in politics, law, etc.  Mika's background is what exactly? 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Who writes it?

I don't know about the newsletter, unless it's just pulled from the web site, which is basically a lot of other people who have written articles etc and they put them on her site. 

She wrote something on the site about asking for raises and if this isn't the height of not being self aware, I don't know what is. 

"After all, asking for a raise you do not truly deserve can be a career killer; it’s something I hear from bosses all the time."

Yeah I bet you do. 

• Love 2