Type keyword(s) to search

Watch What Happens Live Past Seasons

• Start Topic

Ahhhh. I see @chenoa333! I think you may be younger if you are serious about Debra Winger. Terms of Endearment, An Officer and a Gentleman, Urban Cowboy. I watch The Ranch on Netflix and she's great on that. She was promoting a series for Amazon. I've heard the age old rumor that her and Shirley Mac did not get along and she was difficult. I haven't read MacLaine's book to really get the whole deal.  

• Love 5

I saw WWHL yesterday and I still can't believe Debra Winger--she exhibited zero charm. Somebody upthread said it was 30 minutes of NO,NO,NO followed by a treatise on an inability to rank screen kisses because it was so long  ago and the climate of Hollywood at the time. How about laughing and saying they were all good. WWHL is hardly 60 Minutes. Big Picture much?  Hope she never comes back.

• Love 12

Wow... now, Andy bugs the crap out of me, but Debra Winger was so rude and dismissive of him and his show, it is clear how she got her reputation.  I don't know if someone forced her to do the show (I don't get the impression anybody forces Debra to do anything) but her off-putting performance guarantees I'll never support her Amazon show.  What a drag!  Debra owes Andy an apology.

• Love 10

Somewhere along the line, a switch flipped in Debra Winger and she became a dud interview, because I’ve seen her come across as guarded and a tough slog before this. However, I fully recall a time when she was on Letterman and at the end of the (normal) interview she stripped down to her Wonder Girl* costume then ran right off the stage into the audience and out to the street.

*she played that role on 70s TV version of Wonder Woman alongside Lynda Carter.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

Somewhere along the line, a switch flipped in Debra Winger and she became a dud interview, because I’ve seen her come across as guarded and a tough slog before this. However, I fully recall a time when she was on Letterman and at the end of the (normal) interview she stripped down to her Wonder Girl* costume then ran right off the stage into the audience and out to the street.

*she played that role on 70s TV version of Wonder Woman alongside Lynda Carter.

• Love 3
On 10/27/2018 at 3:06 PM, Red Bridey said:

And Natural Born Killers was one of those movies that I couldn't finish watching, I thought it was THAT bad. 

Da fuq?!  That will get you a chop in the throat by me, LOVED that movie!

La Winger reminds me of Bette Davis and Susan Hayward in that they didn't suffer fools gladly....now, while I thought she was quite rude to the guest that called her, I thought she was fine.

• Love 5

I don't know whether to love or hate both Debra Winger and Amanda Peet for the way they acted, but I bet Andy was so glad when it was over!  It was fun to watch him TRY to control the interview.    I found it all quite entertaining and I doubt that either will be asked back any time soon. 

Edited by suzeecat
correction
  • Love 5

Debra Winger is my hero :)  Finally someone to put Andy in his place and she doesn't owe him an apology at all... in fact, he owes viewers an apology for asking the dumbest questions known to man.  I don't expect him to ask Actor Studio like questions, but a little more variety/weight would have done everyone good (asking Oprah about dipping her foot in the woman pond was beyond tacky).  

And she's always been blunt and sardonic so I'm sure he knew what to expect by having her as a guest.  She's been good on other talk shows, but than the hosts are usually more talented than Andy is so that could be why.

• Love 5
On 10/31/2018 at 10:47 PM, albarino said:

I saw WWHL yesterday and I still can't believe Debra Winger--she exhibited zero charm. Somebody upthread said it was 30 minutes of NO,NO,NO followed by a treatise on an inability to rank screen kisses because it was so long  ago and the climate of Hollywood at the time. How about laughing and saying they were all good. WWHL is hardly 60 Minutes. Big Picture much?  Hope she never comes back.

His questions are dumb. They've always been dumb. If a guest goes on the show surprised by his dumb questions that means they are unprofessional one. They either didn't do their homework or can't suck it up for an hour to kind of play along.

Andy is not a great interviewer. He has never been one and his show is quite shallow. However if she was booked on WWHL, the demographics of WWHL overlapped with what she was promoting. If the publicist failed to describe the type of show WWHL was or Winger refused to watch some clips that's on her end of things not Andy.

If Winger thought she was too good to be on the show, that's on her. Lots of people with heaping helps of don't give a fuck or I'm too good for this  have managed to still be entertaining on WWHL. Oprah Winfrey was on and wasn't sour. Dan Rather has been on and he was great as was Meryl Streep, Martha Stewart, and a whole host of people who you would reasonably expect to chafe at Andy's dumb questions. Mariah Carey is always interesting and weirdly Mariah on the show.

God forbid the woman has to do a press junket and spends 2 weeks answering the same dozen stupid questions from a hundred media outlets across the globe. This was some highly unprofessional bullshit on her part and the precise reason she has a reputation for having an attitude problem.

This is an actual professional handling a similar situation, turning it into something funny, and still managing to plug his movie and his credit card commercial gig:

He's also been on WWHL twice.

All of this makes it seem like I'm a big fan of Andy. I'm not. I think he sucks. But seeing Winger roll her eyes and look at her watch, told me all I needed to know about her. If she can't be bothered to treat her fans respectfully or act like she doesn't have time for them, then I don't have time for her. If she wants to continue her profession and hoping that her performances moved people, perhaps she shouldn't be so snotty and rude when a fan calls in to talk about how moving the performance was and a little bit about the experience. She was just fucking awful.

Even worse is the fact that people who are actually doing interesting, unusual, and charitable work are relegated to be the "bartender." These are projects that really do need the publicity from the show. They manage to stand there the whole time, never get caught on camera looking annoyed or irritated, and get like 45 seconds to plug their project. The ego on Debra Winger is appalling. To paraphrase Yolanda Hadid "Who is Debra Winger in this world? Well, who is she?"

On 11/1/2018 at 7:50 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Finally someone to put Andy in his place and she doesn't owe him an apology at all... in fact, he owes viewers an apology for asking the dumbest questions known to man.

Debra didn't come close to putting him in his place. I wish I could remember who it was, but there was one actor who soundly put Andy in his place like no other. Andy asked what was the last text they sent. The answer the guest gave was hilarious and devastating. It was a text sent to their publicist. "Why did you book me on this shitshow?" That person put Andy in his fucking place.

Also no question is worse or more unprofessional than when Andy asked Shaq how big his penis was. First of all, that's not a question that is ok in any sort of interview including your gay uncle's drunken basement cable access talk show. Secondly, with the very long offensive stereotype of the sexually voracious big dicked Black buck, Andy shouldn't have even been the same hemisphere as that question. Third, there is a not insubstantial segment of our society who thinks gay men are predators who are secretly creeping on every straight guy in a 6 foot radius; you really want to lean into that. 

Luckily Shaq is a pretty quick wit. He took off his shoe, held it to his crotch, and smiled. That shit was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more offensive than Andy's question to Oprah.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 13
On 10/31/2018 at 11:47 PM, albarino said:

Agreed. Debra Winger was a real stick in the mud. Come on, this show is silliness and fluff and gossip and reality TV. It's an intimate cocktail party every night.  They call the set "the clubhouse". The guests have have an adult beverage (not that she had to); they play silly games. It's only 22 minutes long without commercials. Andy has never pretended to be Edward R Murrow. 

She should have known that. I even frankly thought that Amanda Peet, was trying to be deferential to Winger and toned down her usually fun side. I guess so as not to make Winger feel left out and even more glaringly a bad guest. She just couldn't, or wouldn't allow herself to get into the fun loose spirit of the show.

Yes, Winger has long had a reputation of being a difficult actor. And yes, there have long been rumors of big roles she foolishly turned down. That's why Andy played that game with her. Now I know why her career went bust after the 1980's.

Ms. Winger: there have been plenty of bigger celebs that allowed themselves to have fun with Andy. Hey Cher gladly obliged Andy with a slap in his face, and yelled "snap out of it !". And Candace Bergen joyously gossiped and dished about her date way back in the day, with a young Donald Trump. Thats the stuff that makes this show fun.  

And you know what else? While Debra Winger's face looked pretty and just perfectly fine for her age. She dressed very dowdy and dated including her hair. Like a stick in the mud school marm, ready to scold us the audience for having too much fun. 

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 11
On 10/27/2018 at 3:06 PM, Red Bridey said:

There are just some people who shouldn't be on shows like this. 

OK.  I just caught up on about 6 eps. and this statement was never more true than Debra Winger.  WTF???  Her being rude to Andy is one thing but then that one caller was kinda gushing about her and she was making dismissive faces and hand gestures the whole time?  What is her damage?  Go be reclusive some more, Debra.

And I really wasn't feeling Whoopi and Tyler Perry either.   But I have a built-in disdain for Tyler Perry that probably pre-colored my viewing.  And shame on him for sitting there acting like "lamentable" was such a big word.  Please retire Madea and go with her.

• Love 8

I only pop in here when a guest is really bad and I'm in the same boat with everyone else with the Winger/Peet episode.  Debra was so awful and boring and we were focusing on movies she was in (or not in) almost 40 years ago.   The blathering on about bad men in Hollywood, she sounded looney the way she was phrasing it.  I don't get WTF Amanda was doing either.  She didn't have to sit there and kiss Debra's ass and act nuts along with her.  I thought she was drunk when the show started.

Like it's fucking hard to do an E.T. voice. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Red Bridey said:

My DVR didn't record the Winger/Peet episode!  Sounds like I missed a good one.  I'll try to watch it on the Bravo website or through that link upthread.

It's only "good" in that watching it allows you to participate in pop cultural discourse. On its own merits, it's pretty terrible.

• Love 3

Between the Botox and lip fillers and whatever else she won't own up to, she is unrecognizable. Her face doesn't move a bit! She really ruined herself from the inside out. Audrianna probably isn't paid for but Tre needs her face done. Andy could not get that gloss off of his lips. Then again I'd be happy for the layer of protection between her and any other person.    

• Love 5

Teresa looks so gross and she's always so fake.  I hate that he has to make us seem interested in some of the Housewives.  She clearly has no intentions of trying to get Joe to stay in the country nor will she ever, ever leave to be with him.  She's very bitter he got them caught with the fraud they both participated in.  She prioritizes herself over everything else and considers herself the "work" she claimed she puts first.  

So when SJP was on I thought it was very funny and telling when a caller asked SJP what the most romantic thing Matthew has ever done for her and Andy quips "he's the King of Romance" and SJP only gives a comical answer.  Matthew clearly does nothing romantic.  I've always gotten the feels that they were just an older, comfortable married couple who live their lives separately but are still in a relationship, Which is fine. It happens.  

• Love 5

Teresa looks so gross and she's always so fake.  I hate that he has to make us seem interested in some of the Housewives.  She clearly has no intentions of trying to get Joe to stay in the country nor will she ever, ever leave to be with him.  

Yep.  I quit watching NJ and ATL a long time ago because everybody seems to be so loud. I never for one minute liked Nene or Theresa.  Emily, on WWHL, seems so big.  She could have a fourth career as a plus-sized model.  I don't mean this as an insult; she is quite beautiful but she is definitely a plus size.  

I know they don't show everything on these HW shows but I have yet to see Emily connecting with any of her kids.  Why would she want a fourth if she can't be bothered with her first three?  Didn't she say on WWHL her husband does everything for them?  If I'm the hubs, I don't need anything else on my TO DO list with three little kids.  Just me.

• Love 3
On October 31, 2018 at 11:15 AM, sugarbaker design said:

She was bitchy for a reason!  AC attributed a quote from Shirley MacClaine's book as one from DW's book.  Huge mistake.

AC then asked AP what it was like working with 2 stars she never worked with.  Excellent research.

I loved the episode, it's still on my DVR, I plan on watching it again tonight.  AC is best with two low level guests, such as housewives, they're closer to his low brow entertainment level.

AC's biggest failing as a talk show host, among many failings, is that he has one interview style, so Nene Leakes gets the same interview style as Debra Winger.

This is a classic episode for those who don't like AC.

I don't watch WWHL a very often, but watched this ep for Debra Winger.  I enjoyed it!  She and  Amanda Peet seemed to have their own thing going, not letting Andy get them.  They were "having none of it," as someone above mentioned, and I loved it!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

Why is Mariah Carey so strange?

She grew up in a broken home. Her parents divorced when she was young. She was raised by her mother. Her mother had to move herself and her kids back in with her parents who had previously disowned Mariah's mother because she married Mariah's father, a Black man. Mariah's mom was allegedly interested in the occult and forced her children to participate in occult rituals according to Mariah's siblings.

Almost as soon as she was discovered as a teen, Mariah married music executive, Tommy Mottola who was 20 years her senior. By all accounts, including Mottola's, he was overbearing, controlling, restrictive, and abusive during their relationship. When their marriage broke up, Mariah kind of broke bad. Glitter was her first major project after the divorce and that's when she had her mental breakdown, which forced her to be hospitalized. If you didn't see the episode live, it was very clear that she wasn't well and that the MTV staff had no clue what was happening.

Also Dr. Drew has this theory about the acquired narcissistic personality disorder in celebrities. He says that a celebrity's personality and emotional maturation gets stuck at the age when the celebrity first became famous. Mariah became famous in her late teens/early 20s; she's never really moved beyond that.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Almost as soon as she was discovered as a teen, Mariah married music executive, Tommy Mottola who was 20 years her senior. By all accounts, including Mottola's, he was overbearing, controlling, restrictive, and abusive during their relationship. When their marriage broke up, Mariah kind of broke bad. Glitter was her first major project after the divorce and that's when she had her mental breakdown, which forced her to be hospitalized. If you didn't see the episode live, it was very clear that she wasn't well and that the MTV staff had no clue what was happening.

Also Dr. Drew has this theory about the acquired narcissistic personality disorder in celebrities. He says that a celebrity's personality and emotional maturation gets stuck at the age when the celebrity first became famous. Mariah became famous in her late teens/early 20s; she's never really moved beyond that.

Her first major post-divorce project was Butterfly, not Glitter (this is the "Honey" video and when she went from wearing gowns to bikinis). Glitter was when she left Columbia for Virgin and they paid her $40 million to break her contract and when she was diagnosed as bipolar.

She's done WWHL three times and this was actually the least erratic she's seemed. Also, you KNOW that Andy was pissed because she always wants the seats switched and that meant he couldn't ogle the shirtless bartenders.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

She grew up in a broken home. Her parents divorced when she was young. She was raised by her mother. Her mother had to move herself and her kids back in with her parents who had previously disowned Mariah's mother because she married Mariah's father, a Black man. Mariah's mom was allegedly interested in the occult and forced her children to participate in occult rituals according to Mariah's siblings.

Thanks for sharing this background.  I had no clue about her upbringing.

I've heard a similar theory from a psychologist (or psychiatrist...can't recall which) about kids who abuse drugs and alcohol.  They stop developing socially/emotionally at the time abuse starts.  They've checked out of the real world and never learn how to live in it.  

When I heard this, all sorts of light bulbs went on for me.   It explains so much - not just about the abusers but how those around them can better understand them.

My kids took the Myers-Briggs.  After reading up on their profiles, it made me understand them so much better.    These two little pointers have been beyond helpful for me in learning how to understand others.

• Love 5

Megan really should have worn something under that jacket. That look wasn't flattering for her at all.

I know Eva Marcille was mentioned from ANTM. I didn't catch who it was that was mentioned that came on WWHL to say ANTM doesn't make anyone famous and etc.? 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I know Eva Marcille was mentioned from ANTM. I didn't catch who it was that was mentioned that came on WWHL to say ANTM doesn't make anyone famous and etc.? 

I would say that as early as Cycle 4 or 5 it became abundantly clear to viewers that the best outcome was to finish in the top 3 or 4, but not actually win. Yaya, Annaleigh, Fatima, and (Chantelle) Winnie Harlow all have way better careers than the winners of their cycles.

• Love 2

Concerning tonight's episode, the woman who asked who had the bigget ego between Nene and Tyra.. before she finished her question, did she actually admit she forgot what she was supposed to say? Damn I can't believe Bravo let that through! This show is sooo ratchet lol!

• Love 1

Brittany and Jaxx from Vanderpump Rules. All I have to say is "good luck girl"! Jaxx needs to heal from his father's death before he dives into marriage. His engagement is a distraction for him from the pain. Not saying he doesn't love Brittany but it's not a good time for him to be making lifetime commitments. 

• Love 3
On 11/30/2018 at 5:30 AM, HunterHunted said:

I would say that as early as Cycle 4 or 5 it became abundantly clear to viewers that the best outcome was to finish in the top 3 or 4, but not actually win. Yaya, Annaleigh, Fatima, and (Chantelle) Winnie Harlow all have way better careers than the winners of their cycles.

Eva bombed bad on The Young and the Restless as well. 

23 minutes ago, ninjago said:

Wow, Rhylee is terrible.  Captain Lee hates her.  Even Andy seemed uncomfortable.

Dang it! missed it...setting the dvr for the late showing. 

Annaleigh was on an episode of Murphy Brown not to long ago.

Tyra is more strange and crazy than Myriah to me.  Like she's really excited about Life Size 2.  Everything she does she thinks is incredible and ground breaking. I kind of expect Myriah to be a little off or self centered as she is constantly pampered.   

• Love 5
On 11/29/2018 at 10:33 PM, Jaded said:

It was (Chantelle) Winnie Harlow.

https://people.com/style/winnie-harlow-defends-comments-antm/

The thing is that Winnie is correct and many past contestants, including Caridee, Elyse, Yaya, Annaleigh, and Fatima, have said the exact same thing.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

It was (Chantelle) Winnie Harlow.

https://people.com/style/winnie-harlow-defends-comments-antm/

The thing is that Winnie is correct and many past contestants, including Caridee, Elyse, Annaleigh, and Fatima, have said the exact same thing.

Thank you for answering me.

I never really watched the show. I have seen other women who didn't win go on to have varying careers. I usually found out they were on Top Model after looking them up, it being mentioned in a print article or on TV. Adrienne who was first winner that married the Brady Bunch jackass is now remarried and selling Avon. I've seen some of her Facebook Live streams and she's mentioned the same thing about winning not getting her as far as she thought it would. She seems to be more well known for marrying the jackass and being on shows with him during that time. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 3

Andy was dumber than usual with the Dua Lipa/Kenan Thompson episode.  Asked if they had ever met before when a week prior they were on SNL together.  It's so recent someone should have provided him that tidbit.  The admitted he doesn't know guests names sometimes.  We totally believe that.

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:49 AM, IDreamofJoaquin said:

Tyra is more strange and crazy than Myriah to me.  Like she's really excited about Life Size 2.  Everything she does she thinks is incredible and ground breaking. I kind of expect Myriah to be a little off or self centered as she is constantly pampered.   

This is true.

• Love 2
On 12/7/2018 at 2:49 AM, IDreamofJoaquin said:

Annaleigh was on an episode of Murphy Brown not to long ago.

I think that's because Jake McDorman is playing Murphy's son. He and Annaleigh costarred on a show, Manhattan Love Story, which was quickly cancelled. Since then, Annaleigh has had guest spots on McDorman's shows, Limitless and Murphy Brown.

5 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

This is true.

I remember Joel McHale said Tyra is a celebrity with almost no sense of humor and is unbelievably thin-skinned. When he was hosting The Soup if they used a clip from ANTM or her talk show, they would ALWAYS got a cease and desist letter from her attorneys despite whatever clip they used fitting either newsworthy or parody first amendment use. This of course ignored that Tyra had already published whatever the offending video was on her own fucking shows so she really shouldn't be too upset about being made fun of, but she always was.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Yoooooo...I just watched the ep from last night.  Gayle King was some kind of giddy just basking in the glow of Lenny Kravitz.  And I can't say I blame her.  That man oozes sexuality.

Right?! Her lip color was FAB!!

• Love 1

I actually thought Gayle looked  ridiculous falling all over Lenny like that. Lenny was polite but it looked like she was one of his mother’s friends getting drunk and flirting with him - he didn’t know quite what to do.

• Love 7

Jennifer Lopez and Leah Remini.  I just want to hang out with both of them.   I want to have coffee and go shopping and then back to Leah's for her salty lasagna.

Natalie Portman and Leslie Mann were cool too.  I never confuse Natalie with Kiera Knightly but I'm always struck by how much she and Giada de Laurentiis look alike.  Now for some reason, I always want to confuse Kiera and Anne Hathaway.  They're interchangeable to me.

• Love 1