Type keyword(s) to search

The Partridge Family - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Where do I begin???

First, let me tell you a story. Yesterday I had to travel an hour away for the day ... I had to take my 91 year old mother and my 14 year old daughter to a conference, my daughter brought her bestie, who just turned 15.

The girls wanted to play their One Direction CD in the car, so I obliged. As they were singing the lyrics to every song on the CD, my Mom blurted, why do they like this so much? There is no emotion to the lyrics and melody. I said to my Mom, it's the generation and what is cool for them today. So I started going backwards decades at a time to show her the common teenie bobber songs of each decade from 2010 on back as far as I could remember which was the 70's, which I ended up singing to her the lyrics to "I Think I Love You" and reminded her to remember the crush I had on Keith Partridge.

Funny how that song was the one I remember as my fave from my teenage years, and I didn't even know about this forum yet!

Yeah, The Partridges had some great songs.

• Love 1

I found this at IMDB: Jeremy Gelbwaks was forced to leave after the first season when his father's job took the family out of California; he was replaced by Brian Forster. According to Bernard Slade, ABC did not receive a single letter of complaint about the change.

Don't know how true it is, because I had always heard that it wasn't a move but that they wanted him off the set. But I can't find a definitive date that he left and Brian started.

Brian definitely started at the beginning of the second season.

I remember a tv movie that  portrayed Jeremy as a hellion on the set.  I think they said he bit David or something.  Heh.  Who knows if any of that is remotely true, but i can imagine him as a terror on the set.

Edited by vb68

Yeah, The Partridges had some great songs.

"I Think I Love You" will never be as embarrassing as "It's a Sunshine Day"! :)

Just saying...

I also really liked "I'll Meet You Halfway".... that's better than no way.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

Very late to this party but my favorite Partridge Family song has always been "Summer Days" as there's something so light and carefree about it, just like a summer day I suppose.  Growing up I had all of the PF albums on vinyl but my mother threw them away, along with most of the rest of my stuff, when I left home for college.  These days I have two CD's, I think, and I have no problem admitting this in public!

• Love 7

One thing I always enjoyed about Summer Days is it almost sounds like  it was for David and Shirley  with lyrics like "the footpath to your Daddy's summer place, where we spent our early summer days" and "we reached the top of the world together."

I don't know.  This video places into that in my mind.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 4

I loved that, thanks.  When I listen to "Summer Days" and close my eyes I'm immediately back in my childhood home and ready for Friday night to watch the Partridge Family.  If memory serves the show aired at 8:30, at least on the east coast.

• Love 2

If memory serves the show aired at 8:30, at least on the east coast.

Yep, right after The Brady Bunch. 

Thanks for the video share--love that song!  One of my other favorites is "It's One of Those Nights."

I haven't had a crush on anyone that way I had on David Cassidy until I saw Aaron Tveit in Les Miserables.  I still have a crush on David.

Aaron Tveit looks like my friend's husband so I would feel weird crushing on him but he definitely was good (and looked good) in Les Miserables.

My crush on David will probably never fully cease no matter how awful he looks.

• Love 3

Dear Antenna TV,

Thank you for airing reruns of The Partridge Family on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.  However, since you have apparently decided to edit the episodes (presumably to air more commercials), please consider NOT editing out the opening of the show and instead editing out the ending (where inevitably Ricky wanders over from next door to sing).  It's somewhat disconcerting to have the episode start without the initial plot "set-up" and I don't think anyone would really miss Ricky warbling his made-up songs.  

Sincerely, MMLEsq

http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tv/the-partridge-family/EP00003314?aid=antennatv

• Love 2

Example:  This morning I watched Maid in San Pueblo (S4, E12), which I had DVR'd last weekend.  Here's the episode description from IMDB.

Maid in San Pueblo
Shirley's mother (Amanda) and father (Walter) argue over Amanda wanting a job outside the house. She leaves home and goes to Shirley's home. Amanda gets a job with a service company, and Shirley hires a maid. Guess who is the maid?

The episode started with a scene where Amanda is already in a maid's uniform at the Partridge's house.  Yet, we were subjected to every last line of Ricky singing "Grandma (We Love You Just The Way You Are)."  Ugh!

Although, how "Seventies" is this?  The song the P.F. sang during the episode was called "Workin' On A Groovy Thing" and was written by Neil Sedaka & Chet Atkins!

Dear Antenna TV,

Thank you for airing reruns of The Partridge Family on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.  However, since you have apparently decided to edit the episodes (presumably to air more commercials), please consider NOT editing out the opening of the show and instead editing out the ending (where inevitably Ricky wanders over from next door to sing).  It's somewhat disconcerting to have the episode start without the initial plot "set-up" and I don't think anyone would really miss Ricky warbling his made-up songs.  

Sincerely, MMLEsq

http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tv/the-partridge-family/EP00003314?aid=antennatv

Ricky was much cuter than cousin Oliver but his presence equally as annoying.

Aaron Tveit looks like my friend's husband so I would feel weird crushing on him but he definitely was good (and looked good) in Les Miserables.

My crush on David will probably never fully cease no matter how awful he looks.

I know what you mean.  I was going through an upstairs closet, and found a bunch of old 45's--remember those?  And I found one by Bobby Sherman who I also used to crush hard on.

• Love 1

I've got a candidate for worst PF song ever:  Money Money.  I heard it while watching an episode this morning that I had DVR'd over the weekend.  I went and looked up the lyrics:

Money, money,
I wish I had some
I'd spend it on you, babe
Cause your really somethin'
Even though I don't have a lot
You can have what I've got

(Chorus)
Money money
Money money
Money money
I just don't have none
But you're the kind of girl that
Makes me want to get some
So I can go where I've never seen myself
And you've never been

Money money
Money money
I've got get myself up, out of bed
Get some work today
If I'm ever going to keep a girl like you around
Got nine to five all week long
Till I get some take home pay
Cause everybody knows
That you like your fancy clothes
And that's where my money goes

(Chorus)
Money money
Money money
Money money
I've got to have it
And if I get the chance again
You know I'm gonna to grab it
I got to make some money today
If I want you to stay

Money money
Money money
Money money

If you're thinking that maybe the song isn't so bad when you hear it with the music, etc.  I can tell you -- it really is that bad,  I don't remember seeing the episode before (Laurie runs for homecoming queen, so that, if she wins, she can protest the inequality of her female friend not being allowed to play on the school's only (male-only) basketball team in her acceptance speech).  I don't remember hearing the song on any of their records -- and I'm pretty sure I had them all.  ** Just looked it up and it looks like it was Track #11 on the album Bulletin Board.  I guess I've just mercifully blocked out this song. **

Here's a link (hopefully it works): 

I was looking at the comments -- people were writing they love this song, it's a great song, etc.  So, maybe it's just me....?

• Love 1

That was kind of creepy. Laurie looks ticked off through the whole thing, especially when Keith sings that 'fancy clothes' line directly to her! 

Was David's hair always that long? It seems exceptionally long. My parents were right, he does look like a girl!

How about Bobby Sherman on an episode of The Partridge Family!  This is obviously from the first season because it's the original Chris but I don't remember the episode at all.

I'm (really) late on this, but I swear this was a pilot for another series with Bobby Sherman that did air for at least a season.  If memory serves, it was called Getting Together.  

I'm not sure how I know that because I have no memory of actually watching it. 

ETA: Winner winner, chicken dinner.  Wiki  has it right here.  

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

I'm (really) late on this, but I swear this was a pilot for another series with Bobby Sherman that did air for at least a season.  If memory serves, it was called Getting Together.  

I'm not sure how I know that because I have no memory of actually watching it. 

ETA: Winner winner, chicken dinner.  Wiki  has it right here.  

I don't remember that show at all.  I just know Bobby Sherman from "Here Come the Brides".  He was the main reason to watch that show though all three of the brothers were gorgeous.

• Love 1

Since this doesn't really fit into any of the other P.F. threads, I'm putting it here:    My husband got me "The Partridge Family: The Complete Series" box set of DVDs for Christmas.  (It was on my Amazon wish list.)  (Only $30.69 for 12 discs -- 3 discs for each of the four years that the show was on the air.)

Because of the relatively low price, I was thinking that it was going to be really "bare bones," but I've watched the first two DVDs already (i.e., the first 2/3 of Season 1) and there were two episodes that you could listen to with narration -- Danny Bonaduce on one and Shirley Jones on another.  There was an extra clip with interviews with the musicians/singers that really sang on the songs that was pretty interesting.  

David Cassidy said that they would slow down the music for him to record his parts, then when they sped the music back up to normal speed, it would make his voice sound higher, which in turn made him sound younger.  They also said that they would emphasize Shirley's voice on tracks for the TV show, but on the same song they would de-emphasize her voice for the records/radio (so, it seems there was a TV version of each song and a record version).

Also, there's a feature where you can just see all the songs that are on the disc and immediately jump to them.

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 3

David Cassidy said that they would slow down the music for him to record his parts, then when they sped the music back up to normal speed, it would make his voice sound higher, which in turn made him sound younger.  They also said that they would emphasize Shirley's voice on tracks for the TV show, but on the same song they would de-emphasize her voice for the records/radio (so, it seems there was a TV version of each song and a record version).

I can see why they did that with the voices.  I used to watch the show with my mother who was a Shirley Jones fan, so it would make sense to emphasize her voice for TV.  But my mom was most definitely not running out and buying the records.  That would've been me and every other teenager, so the emphasis would be on David.  I sure wasn't buying those 45's for Shirley Jones.

• Love 1

Oh, yes, she was/is a great singer, but as a teenager, David Cassidy was the draw for me.  Although I did know who both Shirley Jones and her husband, Jack Cassidy, were, they were more my parents' generation. 

Talking about this old show reminds me of how the entire family used to watch the same tv shows in the same room, not like today.

• Love 2

I always liked "Money Money". I remember the days of trying to record their songs off the tv and telling everyone to be quiet so there wouldn't be any noise on the tape. LOL

Good times. The Monkees and The Partridge Family were my fave music to listen to. Actually, they still are.

• Love 2

I always liked "Money Money". I remember the days of trying to record their songs off the tv and telling everyone to be quiet so there wouldn't be any noise on the tape. LOL

Good times. The Monkees and The Partridge Family were my fave music to listen to. Actually, they still are.

I used to tape record songs off the radio, too.  I mean, I didn't have an unlimited amount of money to spend on 45's...they were 75 cents in those days.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who has Monkees and Partridge Family CDs in her car (which get played when no one else is around).  The music is still good.

• Love 1

I too remember taping the songs off the tv.  I used to sit right in front of it so I could press record the second music started.

Davy Jones was my first tv crush and David Cassidy my 2nd.  I mostly lost interest in the Monkees, but have more or less followed David forever. In fact, I saw him in Blood Brothers in Toronto in 1995. I waited at the stage door after the show and got an autograph and picture with him.  It's been sad to watch his life spiral downward these last few years. Hopefully he'll get the help he needs.

I Think I Love You is my favourite PF song.

• Love 1

Very late to this party but my favorite Partridge Family song has always been "Summer Days" as there's something so light and carefree about it, just like a summer day I suppose. Growing up I had all of the PF albums on vinyl but my mother threw them away, along with most of the rest of my stuff, when I left home for college. These days I have two CD's, I think, and I have no problem admitting this in public!

All the PF original albums--all the way from The Partridge Family Album to Bulletin Board (their last original album), including A Partridge Family Christmas Card--are on iTunes (& probably the amazon.com MP3 store), for those who are into iTunes/iPods or other MP3 players. Bulletin Board's MP3/iTunes version also has a couple of Shirley Jones' solo singles added to it that were released during the run of The Partridge Family. I'm not sure if either was used on the show.

They also have 2 hits compilations available (at least 1 with previously unreleased tracks that were heard on the show but not put on the studio albums) that were recorded & released a few years *after* the show was cancelled. The original compilation albums, The Partridge Family at Home with Their Greatest Hits & The World of the Partridge Family, recorded & released while the show was airing, have never (to my knowledge) been released on CD or for digital download to MP3 players/iPods.

They also have at least some/most of David Cassidy's solo catalog. But I can't remember if they have all of it. Just in case anyone's looking for those albums.

I freely admit I have all the PF albums on my iPod--which all came from my CD collection, except for Bulletin Board which I bought from iTunes. When Razor & Tie (or whatever the label was) got the rights to re-release the PF catalog on CD, I bought everything they reissued over on CD even though I had it all on vinyl already. Except, if I can still find it, I need to get the Bulletin Board CD--I did the iTunes thing with that when it was finally reissued on CD 'cause it was faster than waiting for the CD & I was anxious to get it.

I also have a good chunk of David's solo stuff that was released during the show. but not so much that was released at/closer to the end of it.

I'm not surprised some people missed the sort of spin off show, Getting Together, which starred Bobby Sherman. It was on Saturday nights, for 1 thing (when most people don't stay home to watch TV). For another thing, it barely lasted the 13 eps most shows got in a TV season back then (unlike the 22-24 eps shows routinely get in a season these days), if it even did last the full 13 eps. As I remember, the ratings were pretty crappy & ABC dropped it pretty fast.

Edited by BW Manilowe