Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Being Frank

• Start Topic

The big question: How the fuck can Frank exist? He lives in a fog of senility and drugs. If the Gang knew -- or cared -- how messed up in the head he is, they'd probably have him carted off, because the intervention didn't take. Yet he manages to dodge death and save the day for his crew.

Anybody else expect "nightcrawlers" to be ickier? Sure, it's something done by two grown men in the dark, but I was expecting something messier. At least Frank has Charlie in his life.

BORING!!! Worst episode ever. The only good bit was hearing what he really thought of Mac. Too too much Frank, yuck.

The big question: How the fuck can Frank exist? He lives in a fog of senility and drugs. If the Gang knew -- or cared -- how messed up in the head he is, they'd probably have him carted off, because the intervention didn't take. Yet he manages to dodge death and save the day for his crew.

Anybody else expect "nightcrawlers" to be ickier? Sure, it's something done by two grown men in the dark, but I was expecting something messier. At least Frank has Charlie in his life.

I'm pretty sure Charlie explained nightcrawlers to the gang many seasons ago and it really is just he and Frank writhing around on the ground. 

ETA: I did like seeing that the gang went through all that just to get Dennis' car out of impound - it probably cost them more in props than it would have in fines to get it out lol. And I love Charlie talking about having a big day tomorrow, the fact that these sociopaths have every day planned out with weird/illegal/dangerous/poorly-thought-out schemes is awesome. So really I just hated that this was all from Frank's POV primarily away from the gang, Frank on his own doesn't interest me - when I see Charlie on his own doing his own weird shit I love it but with Frank I didn't like it at all.

Edited by Save Yourself
  • Love 3

So really I just hated that this was all from Frank's POV primarily away from the gang, Frank on his own doesn't interest me - when I see Charlie on his own doing his own weird shit I love it but with Frank I didn't like it at all.

I liked it more than you, but I do understand what you're saying. Frank is an antagonist who throws quirks into other people's stories. He's not a leading man himself. I think that's why I liked seeing Bill Ponderosa more than I usually do, because he broke up a story that was just too much disjointed weirdness.

I also think this version of Frank doesn't quite match with the ones we've seen at other times. Yes, he's disgusting and runs on drugs and alcohol. But he's also a schemer. A Frank who has no idea what's going on and lucks into the right spot is very different from one who buys a mountain and then ignites a rivalry to distract from his plan to drill it.

p.s. Anyone else bothered that Frank didn't need keys to start Dennis's car?

• Love 5

I liked this ep better than I thought I would, but yeah, I wondered about how he managed to be a schemer and figured he has enough lucid days to get things done. It was good to see Artemis again.

What I thought was most interesting is whatever it is that the doctors found in Frank that was "caught in time" but "would otherwise be terminal".   He completely ignored whatever the doctor was saying so... that's not apparently not getting treated anytime soon.

Anyone else bothered that Frank didn't need keys to start Dennis's car?

The keys were already in the ignition -- illogically.

I loved "being" Frank for a few minutes, he´s the only one of the gang that was a total mystery to me outside of the main plots, with the others I could imagine them all doing their individual things, so no need to actually see their POV, but with Frank this was very enlightening and funny. It´s always nice to have Bill Ponderosa and Artemis back again.

I liked it more than you, but I do understand what you're saying. Frank is an antagonist who throws quirks into other people's stories. He's not a leading man himself. I think that's why I liked seeing Bill Ponderosa more than I usually do, because he broke up a story that was just too much disjointed weirdness.

I also think this version of Frank doesn't quite match with the ones we've seen at other times. Yes, he's disgusting and runs on drugs and alcohol. But he's also a schemer. A Frank who has no idea what's going on and lucks into the right spot is very different from one who buys a mountain and then ignites a rivalry to distract from his plan to drill it.

p.s. Anyone else bothered that Frank didn't need keys to start Dennis's car?

Yes, that's a perfect description! Frank is the quirk thrower, not the leading man. I also like the Pondy bit for the same reason you did. This version doesn't match up although I did think it was funny when he was standing there not knowing Dennis' name and having no idea what The Gang were talking about - maybe it depends how many drugs he's taken that day (or what kind!) as to how with it he is lol. Was it 2 eps ago The Gang wanted to throw him straight into a home because they thought he was losing it? And with a great deal enthusiasm too.

I wonder how both he and Charlie haven't died long ago from septicaemia, scurvy, staphylococci or any number of diseases given their gross eating habits, lack of personal hygiene and that disgusting flat. So foul when he was peeing in that bucket and later when he used his toe knife I was actually retching. But he and Charlie are so happy living like this, why?!!! Such freaks.

• Love 1

Was it 2 eps ago The Gang wanted to throw him straight into a home because they thought he was losing it? And with a great deal enthusiasm too.

A few seasons ago, they discussed it but he wound up tricking them into digging up his wife's grave after making them think she faked her death and hid her money in her coffin in order to prove them wrong.

A few seasons ago, they discussed it but he wound up tricking them into digging up his wife's grave after making them think she faked her death and hid her money in her coffin in order to prove them wrong.

Ah yes there was that one but I remembered the bit I was thinking of was from Frank Falls Out The Window (s11e2) and he goes into the bar and Dee says I think he's losing it, should we toss him in a home? And Mac and Dennis leap up from their stools, say yes, I'll get the car. Didn't even hesitate lol. Gotta love The Gang looking out for each other

• Love 1

Ah yes there was that one but I remembered the bit I was thinking of was from Frank Falls Out The Window (s11e2) and he goes into the bar and Dee says I think he's losing it, should we toss him in a home? And Mac and Dennis leap up from their stools, say yes, I'll get the car. Didn't even hesitate lol. Gotta love The Gang looking out for each other

I totally forgot about that ep which was very forgettable to me.

I seem to remember they weren't very hesitant about pulling the plug or abandoning their grandfather who turned out to be Nazi.

• Love 1

I totally forgot about that ep which was very forgettable to me.

I seem to remember they weren't very hesitant about pulling the plug or abandoning their grandfather who turned out to be Nazi.

Yes I think that ep would have been better if they actually HAD put Frank in a home.

Haha, they were very keen to pull the plug on good old Gramps Goebbels!

On 2/12/2016 at 11:33 AM, qtpye said:

Charlie is broke and does not know any better.

Frank has money, so he is more of a mystery.

On 2/14/2016 at 11:16 AM, Blakeston said:

The only way I can make sense of this episode is if Frank has mentally declined quite a bit since earlier in the series.

Well, he figures he's only got a few years left, so he's gonna get real weird with it...