Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

I remember that call and it was so painfully obvious what it was. I remember that call for revealing that Peter Jennings was both stupid and a racist. Stupid because he didn't realize that call was fake -- his show where the call came from mentioned that OJ lived in an all white neighborhood. Racist because Jennings obviously found it normal and acceptable that black people spoke like that and were too stupid to know basic words like tense -- "It do be the tenses."

I think he was more stupid (and Canadian--where they didn't have the same race issues) rather than racist. Years ago I sometimes ate in a restaurant around ABC's New York studios and Jeff Greenfield, Diane Sawyer (and a few times Ted Koppel) used to eat there. I remember sitting behind them once at a neighboring table and around Sawyer giving Greenfield career advice, they also cut a bit on Jennings--that Jennings was mainly kind of a talking head, basically (YES, as someone tossed out upthread, I'm aware he's dead--that doesn't magically change who he was). As shocking as that sounds, it didn't sound like they disliked the man though--more like "if he can make it, you can Jeff!" 

• Love 2

It will be interesting to see if Kris and the K kids continue to show up in subsequent episodes. At this point my patience is already wearing thin.

No one dislikes the famewhore's more than I do. However, I do remember Kris from the trial. I knew she was Nicole's friend and probably noticed her because of Bruce who was the celebrity back then. Edited by chlban
  • Love 2

Some of the editing threw me off on this one - they were talking about how he wanted to go see his mother, and THEN cut to the car and show OJ decide to do that.  And then, as someone mentioned up thread, Kardashian breaks down in his car and then tells the family OJ is dead but...why did he think that?  It was a safe assumption at the time, sure, but you're sure enough to inform his family? 

I liked Gooding's read of OJ saying sorry over and over.  The real OJ probably thinks it makes him some sort of decent person to feel bad about putting the cops out by leading them on a chase.

• Love 4

To me, that was OJ still playing the "good guy" role.  He was friends with many cops after all, they never arrested him for all the 911 calls (until forced, probably by the doctors who treated Nicole?) and they played tennis at his house, came to parties, they seemed mostly star struck truthfully.  I think OJ still thought he'd get is fame and image back at that point.

I know Cuba played it very straight out distraught in the Bronco, but when you read  the officer's transcript, you can see both.  Distraught at times, manipulative at others.  Also, and I wish I could remember where I read this, it seemed credible at the time, apparently some sportscaster or something came on the radio talking about OJ, either his guilt, or his fall, and it really pissed OJ off, it said that he got mad instead of sad then, and that was when suicide was off the table.  Anyone else read that?  I've been reading mostly trial transcripts so it was probably there, but since AC didn't talk?  I'm blanking, if I remember I'll post the link.

• Love 1

I could feel that [schwimmer's breakdown in the car] more if I was more sure it really happened.

Eh.  I don't need to know it's true-to-life to be affected by it.  Kardashian & Simpson were very, VERY close.  Even if he didn't scream at the heavens with the windows rolled up, I believed that as a response to the situation, and I bought into Schwimmer's portrayal.

• Love 15

And?

Is this an age thing perhaps? At least to those of us who remember it firsthand, I think the image of AC in the drivers seat and the shadow of OJ in the backseat became an indelible image.

I could feel that more if I was more sure it really happened.

Sounds like Ryan Murphy and his partners being the total fuckwits they often are.

It depends on where and why. In some cases you can simply not show something and it doesn't change the essential story. I mean this thing presumes it knows what OJ said and did inside that Bronco, for example. What Robert K did in private out of range of anyone in his car. What the K kids did at home that night. Things people whispered to each other at Nicole's funeral. Etc. Does this stuff really inherently make the story, or does it just steer the story a way these writers want?

He won't. There's been too much grumbling about how he doesn't look or "feel" (give the sense of) OJ. His acting almost doesn't matter as much as how Emmy voters are likely to remember this performance. Then again, I suppose it's at least possible that the pushback against "Oscars So White" could affect the Emmys next season (even though the accusations were against the Oscars) and Cuba might at least get a nomination.

in regards to Cuba getting nominated,there are three things at play here. One, just as many are pointing out he's doing so many things right that it compensates for his look. Second, its not like he's going up against the regular best drama nominees. This will go in the miniseries category. He can clean up there easy. Third, Hollywood loves a good comeback story. This is his. People are remembering that's he's a really good actor and not the guy who did boat trip.
  • Love 2

I think he was more stupid (and Canadian--where they didn't have the same race issues) rather than racist.

You should really look into the reality of race relations in Canada before making this statement. Just because something isn't well publicized, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

• Love 11

Happy to see there is a forum for this show.

I’m really enjoying this show so far. My favorite character portrayal’s so far are Robert Kardashian Sr. and Christopher Darden.

One thing I will say is that this is making me so much more sympathetic towards Charles Darden. He really got vilified and called all kinds of sell out and self-hating during that time.  

ITA with this statement.  I really like the way the show is portraying Darden. We are getting to see another side of him, that a lot of us didn’t see when all of this stuff originally went down. The real Darden seemed harder, and he seemed like someone a lot of people really couldn’t relate to.  He had serious likeability issues and so did Marcia Clark and I think that did have an impact on how a lot of people viewed the case. (Glad the show will touch on that too).

But the way he’s being portrayed on the show gives more insight into who he was as a person and that makes him come across as more sympathetic. He’s coming across as someone who wanted to make his own way as a lawyer, but who also cared about the people in his community and who seemed to genuinely believe OJ was guilty and wanted justice served.  I like how the show is handling his character, and I am glad they are showing this side of him. I expect we will see the “harder” side, that many in the public had a hard time relating to as the case goes on and he has to face off against Johnnie Cochran and the rest of OJ’s legal team.

Speaking of Johnnie Cochran, I am enjoying Courtney B. Vance’s portrayal of him.

Regarding the Kardashian kids scene, that did seem a bit much. And I am someone who has watched several Kardashian episodes/shows and actually like some of them. It’s like the writers are trying to drive home that Robert Kardashian Sr. is the father of the modern day, famous Kardashian children. We know. I will say this though, Selma Blair has got Kris Jenner and her dramatic speaking voice down to a T.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 6

My favorite moment of the episode is when they're reading the ridiculous "suicide note", where OJ has the nerve to refer to himself as the battered one (or maybe he used another word, I can't remember) and Hodgman says, "Well, you know, he cut his hand while killing her". That about sums up the narcissism of Simpson!

I wanted to vomit when they said that. OJ is truly a wretched POS. 

• Love 7

I wanted to vomit when they said that. OJ is truly a wretched POS. 

Okay, but the recording I found of the press conference doesn't have that "battered" stuff in the note they read from OJ. It could have been edited out, but it also occurs to me that it's the kind of thing Ryan Murphy might well have added "for dramatic effect". 

• Love 1

Okay, but the recording I found of the press conference doesn't have that "battered" stuff in the note they read from OJ. It could have been edited out, but it also occurs to me that it's the kind of thing Ryan Murphy might well have added "for dramatic effect". 

Here is the letter.  http://simpson.walraven.org/suicide.html 

Note: This letter was edited by the media to correct spelling errors.  OJ's notes were badly spelled, he used sound alike words, etc.  A few that I read, notes really, looked like something a first grader might write.

He did say it.

To whom it may concern:

First, everyone understand I have nothing to do with Nicole's murder. I loved her, always have and always will. If we had a problem, it's because I loved her so much.

Recently, we came to the understanding that for now we were not right for each other, at least for now. Despite our love we were different, and that's why we mutually agreed to go our separate ways.It was tough splitting for a second time, but we both knew it was for the best. Inside I had no doubt that in the future, we would be close as friends or more. Unlike what has been written in the press, Nicole and I had a great relationship for most of our lives together,

Like all long-term relationships, we had a few downs and ups. I took the heat New Year's 1989 because that's what I was supposed to do. I did not plead no contest for any other reason but to protect our privacy and was advised it would end the press hype.

I don't want to belabor knocking the press, but I can't believe what is being said. Most of it is totally made up. I know you have a job to do, but as a last wish, please, please, please, leave my children in peace. Their lives will be tough enough.

I want to send my love and thanks to all my friends. I'm sorry I can't name every one of you, especially A.C. man, thanks for being in my life. The support and friendship I received from so many: Wayne Hughes, Lewis Markes, Frank Olson, Mark Packer, Bender, Bobby Kardashian. I wish we had spent more time together in recent years.

My golfing buddies, Hoss, Alan Austin, Mike, Craig, Bender, Wyler, Sandy, Jay, Donnie, thanks for the fun.

All my teammates over the years, Reggie, you were the soul of my pro career. Ahmad, I never stopped being proud of you. Marcus, You've got a great lady in Catherine, don't mess it up. Bobby Chandler, thanks for always being there. Skip and Kathy, I love you guys, without you I never would have made it through this far. Marguerite, thanks for the early years. We had some fun.

Paula, what can I say? You are special. I'm sorry we're not going to have our chance. God brought you to me I now see. As I leave, you'll be in my thoughts. I think of my life and feel I've done most of the right things.

What the outcome, people will look and point. I can't take that. I can't subject my children to that. This way they can move on and go on with their lives. Please, if I've done anything worthwhile in my life. Let my kids live in peace from you (press).

I've had a good life. I'm proud of how I lived. My mama taught me to do un to other. I treated people the way I wanted to be treated. I've always tried to be up and helpful so why is this happening?

I'm sorry for the Goldman family. I know how much it hurts. Nicole and I had a good life together. All this press talk about a rocky relationship was no more than what every long-term relationship experiences. All her friends will confirm that I have been totally loving and understanding of what she's been going through.

At times I have felt like a battered husband or boyfriend but I loved her, make that clear to everyone. And I would take whatever it took to make it work.

Don't feel sorry for me. I've had a great life, great friends. Please think of the real O.J. and not this lost person. Thanks for making my life special. I hope I helped yours.

Peace and love, O.J.

• Love 3

If that is not "excelling" at professional football, I don't know what is.

Alright, he excelled. What I meant is that he wasn't as universally beloved or adored as some have pointed out.  He had some good seasons in Buffalo (I believe one with over 2,000 yards rushing) and had a long career. But it never lived up to the level of promise he showed coming out of USC with the Heisman.  His talent wasn't enough to bring the Bills or 49ers to the playoffs more than once during his ten years in the league and his move to the 49ers was simply sad.

And the notion that he was some universally beloved character in his retirement is just plain false.  He came across to me as a jovial back-slapper like a lot of retired athletes. I didn't have any particular respect for him as a person or fondness for him. Maybe I'm not as much of a sucker for fame as others, but I don't think I'm alone.

As others have stated, that 30 for 30 ESPN documentary combining the OJ chase, the NBA Finals, and that golf thing in 1994, is a really great way to see just how "busy" that day was. I really appreciated seeing how the network had to consider what to do, between broadcasting the chase and the Finals, and coming up with a possible eulogy package, in case things went sideways.

I watched the chase too, and it was completely mesmerizing. There had never been anything like that, so it may be hard for younger people to understand just how insane this was.

My now-husband was actually at the NBA Finals game with his father. They both said they would have been absolutely livid if they had been watching the game on tv and it got cut to the chase.

Some posts were edited:

I'm trying to think of someone as famous and beloved as OJ was then today.  I'm blanking.  

I asked my husband this same question. The best he could come up with was Steph Curry. Though, if Steph ever pulled an "OJ," I can't help but wonder whether or not their differences in physical appearance (as in, less typically "black" features) would have any bearing.

The other thing about pre-murder OJ besides being a major, major football star and celebrity spokesperson, is that, to white America, OJ was one of the "good ones."  (This is why he could be a spokesperson for a huge nationwide company like Hertz.)  

So when the murders happened, white America, as usual, got to have it both ways:  "None of them can be trusted," and "I just knew there was something about him," and "That's what happens when you marry a black man."  

These first two episodes seem to also be wanting to have it both ways, but it's also because, at the heart of this, OJ himself had it both ways: He was a celebrity who could codeswitch and pass with ease until he needed to be a black victim of white police corruption.

I'm so glad America has moved past all these issues.

I think this is a very important post towards understanding why there was such a difference in opinion based on race. And as sarcastically stated at the end, not a darn thing has changed.

I see others have already responded, but I want to add (as an 80s kid) the Naked Gun movies did marvels for his name and stature. I knew him as a football player, but he retired when I was really young. When those Naked Gun movies came out, I became much more interested in OJ. Although they had adult themes, the Naked Gun movies were immensely popular. He also did some commercials; I remember him running through airports for Hertz. 

My biggest issue with OJ, which was pointed out during this episode, was that he didn't seem all that interested in racial issues until it became convenient for his defense. For the record, I'm so tired of hearing how all black people thought he was innocent. I'm black, and I don't know a single other black person among my friends and family who think he didn't do it. 

However, we were, and continue to be, tired of police getting away with treating us like sub-humans. I have been pulled over for DWB more times than I can even count, as evidenced by the fact that I never get a ticket. I have the audacity to be black and successful in Arizona, so it's a part of life for me. Someone even suggested to me that maybe I shouldn't drive such nice cars if it bothers me that much! Anyway, I didn't celebrate the OJ verdict at all. But I understood those who did, however misguided their affections for OJ may have been.

I'm glad this show is on, and I'm glad it's doing well in the ratings. We see much hasn't changed over the years with regard to police and black folks. We also see that the most important color is green. Can you imagine your average Joe (black or white) being treated that way while having an arrest warrant for murder? Look at the Aflluenza kid. The shit is still happening now!

This is also an important post. Not everyone cheered because OJ got away with murder, per say. Some cheered as a, "Now, do you see how it feels?" When someone is guilty as sin and still got off. Especially considering this wasn't too long after Rodney King, which was ON TAPE. And yet, nothing has changed. Not 20 years later, or 50 years later, as Cochrane mentioned with his first case.

• Love 7

I wasn't a big football fan then but I would watch when OJ played. He was exciting and explosive on the field. As a celebrity he was charming and full of charisma. The Hertz commercials with him running thru the airport were always funny.

When the detective called OJ in Chicago and he was sitting on the edge of the bed on the phone, his back was to the camera. What surprised me was that they didn't indicate that he was holding a glass which he literally crushed on hearing the news and cut his hand. No, I don't believe it happened but it was OJ's excuse for the cut on his hand as he told detectives in an interview.

I wonder when, or if, they get to that part they recreate the scene showing him with the glass.

• Love 2

"And the notion that he was some universally beloved character in his retirement is just plain false.  He came across to me as a jovial back-slapper like a lot of retired athletes. I didn't have any particular respect for him as a person or fondness for him. Maybe I'm not as much of a sucker for fame as others, but I don't think I'm alone."

You may not be alone but you are few and far between. He was absolutely beloved. Also, never being on a super bowl team doesn't mean you are not or were not a great player. They didn't have free agency at the time OJ played. You were pretty much stuck with the team that got you until they decided to trade. If you got stuck on a lousy team, that's just the way it was. It doesn't mean you were a not so a good player just because your team didn't do so well.

• Love 10

Regarding the casting of CGJ as OJ, I am willing to suspend the physical differences between the two men based on the fact that Cuba seems to be bringing all aspects of OJ to the screen - the self-importance, the rage, the mental breakdown, etc.  But as mentioned above, now I'm really curious how Malcolm Jamal Warner would've handled the part.  He's certainly bulked up since his Theo Huxtable days (I didn't even recognize him at first).  Could've been interesting, but we'll never know.

As for comparing someone to OJ in terms of being well-liked and popular, the first person that came to my mind was Michael Jordan.

• Love 10

I was near obsessed with the trial, watching as much of it on tv as possible and then watching Larry King's interviews at night.  Another poster mentioned watching it as a jury member--that's exactly what I did as well. 

The most interesting thing for me in this epi was Chris Darden. During the trial and in interviews he always came across to me as exasperated and I never really understood why.

My takeaway was this : Darden knew only too well that the LAPD (of the time--dunno how it is now) had some serious problems with racism, but this case wasn't an example of that.  His frustration became exasperation as the case morphed into a veritable showcase of racism in the LAPD when it (for all I know) could have been the only time a black man wasn't treated unfairly.  He could see the writing on the wall early on -- that this man was going to get away with double homicide because others before him had been so unfairly treated.  Why couldn't someone who was actually innocent be the example?  I'd be frustrated and exasperated, too .

And back then, there was something about his relationship with Johnnie Cochran that puzzled me as well. Cochran, I thought at the time, was almost always borderline disrespectful of him, (which was in sharp contrast to the respect he showed to Clark).  Seeing that they had a prior relationship shed some light.

I always thought Chris Darden was the Rodney Dangerfield of that case, and I could never understand why. (The Glove move notwithstanding, but I did agree with Chris that the "not fitting" was some real ham fisted thespianism.

• Love 7

I may expose myself here as being, if not a cold hearted monster, at least a little bit weird.  I am loving this miniseries, and a big part of the reason is that it makes me really nostalgic for those days.  I remember everything going on so well, and I can't help but feel transported back to that time.  I was in my early 20's, my now college age daughter (whose presence at home now I miss very much) was a baby, I would discuss the developments in the case with my dear brother in law, who has since passed away, and, other than the Robert Kennedy Smith trial, it was the first big name case I had followed. I know the Menendez brothers arrived on the scene first, but I wasn't invested in that case for some reason. Perhaps because they weren't high profile at the time of the crime & other than the trial, they didn't play out on tv in real time.  For whatever the reason, this was really riveting in a way nothing else before it had ever been, at least IMO.

It is so interesting to see younger people post on here that they thought OJ was alone in the Bronco. That was such a huge part of the case.  But, I can understand this - I was not yet born at the time of the Manson Family murders, and as famous as they still are, and I certainly know some facts, I'm sure someone who was of age in 1969 knows a whole lot more for having lived through it.

All of that being said, my heart did at the time, and continues to this day, to break for the victims' families.  No child should have to grow up without a mother, and no parent should ever have to bury their child - and Kim Goldman's grief and visceral reaction to the verdict still chills me to the bone.

Edited by Daisy head
  • Love 10

Regarding the OJ love, I was born in the early '70's when OJ was in his prime career wise (I guess).  While my father was a sports fan, I had zero interest in anything sports related - then and now.  I was, however, extremely aware of OJ Simpson, and always thought of him as kind of a lovable goofball. Probably because I didn't pay attention to his sports career, but knew him from the Naked Gun movies, Hertz commercials - and wasn't he a small bit player on one of the Airplane movies?  He was so famous that I just assumed he must have been a great football player, which I guess he was, regardless of never having made it to the Super Bowl.

• Love 2

I just want to point out that not everyone living in LA at the time was 'riveted' by the chase, the trial, etc.  A good number of us were busy with our own lives, working, families, etc. and didn't have the time, nor the desire to watch it all.  Frankly, I have no real recollection whatsoever of what I did on the day of the chase.  I'm sure I heard about it, probably on the radio during my commute home from work (which I guess thankfully wasn't on the 405), and I'm sure I read about in the newspaper the next day. I was probably annoyed that whatever TV show I was watching at the time got pre-empted.

Course, I will say I was never that great a fan of OJ.  He's a Trojan, and I'm a Bruin.  Some rivalries never die.

• Love 3

Man, Vance has become Cochran.

He's good, but I don't really see the charisma of the real Cochran yet.  But mainly, I keep flashing back to the Jackie Chiles character on Seinfeld!

David Schwimmer is okay as Kardashian, but it's his voice that ruins it.  All I hear is the hangdog loser Ross Geller voice.

• Love 4

I just want to point out that not everyone living in LA at the time was 'riveted' by the chase, the trial, etc. A good number of us were busy with our own lives, working, families, etc. and didn't have the time, nor the desire to watch it all. Frankly, I have no real recollection whatsoever of what I did on the day of the chase. I'm sure I heard about it, probably on the radio during my commute home from work (which I guess thankfully wasn't on the 405), and I'm sure I read about in the newspaper the next day. I was probably annoyed that whatever TV show I was watching at the time got pre-empted.

Course, I will say I was never that great a fan of OJ. He's a Trojan, and I'm a Bruin. Some rivalries never die.

well of course not every single person was riveted. By and large, an amazing amount of people were which was the point. Very few moments ever sweep the country like this.
  • Love 7

He wasn't worshipped or universally beloved in my recollection.  I don't agree with the post on Page 1 that "I'm trying to think of someone as famous and beloved as OJ was then today."  

He was famous, sure, as an ex-NFL player who transitioned to roles in cheesy movies and in commercials.  I, for one, had no particular love for him.

He was a bad actor and the Hertz commercials got old after a while. He played football in a small market city (Buffalo) on a bad team and he didn't excel. He was not an NFL star.  His football career peaked in college at USC so it's possible that the people in South Central LA near the USC campus still remembered that.

The attention paid to the case stemmed not just form his celebrity but from the drama of it all that was mostly all played out on live TV.

With all due respect, I can't disagree with this more.  OJ was larger than life.  I completely respect your opinion though.  :)  

• Love 7

Is so interesting to see younger people post on here that they thought OJ was alone in the Bronco. That was such a huge part of the case.  But, I can understand this - I was not yet born at the time of the Manson Family murders, and as famous as they still are, and I certainly know some facts, I'm sure someone who was of age in 1969 knows a whole lot more for having lived through it.

Yes, those of us who lived through it as adults are more aware of what happened and also of who OJ was and how he was perceived in American society before the murders. Though even some people who were adults at the time are claiming that OJ was larger than life and universally beloved which is absolutely not the case.  I didn't love him or see him as larger than life.  And I bet I'm not alone, especially among people who lived far away from Los Angeles. 

• Love 1

"And the notion that he was some universally beloved character in his retirement is just plain false.  He came across to me as a jovial back-slapper like a lot of retired athletes. I didn't have any particular respect for him as a person or fondness for him. Maybe I'm not as much of a sucker for fame as others, but I don't think I'm alone."

You may not be alone but you are few and far between. He was absolutely beloved. Also, never being on a super bowl team doesn't mean you are not or were not a great player. They didn't have free agency at the time OJ played. You were pretty much stuck with the team that got you until they decided to trade. If you got stuck on a lousy team, that's just the way it was. It doesn't mean you were a not so a good player just because your team didn't do so well.

This.  He was a great football player and he really was beloved.  He got the glory role of the noble African chief in Roots!

I was an adult, and somehow I missed the chase.  Must have  been on a business trip.  For years I've been asking my daughter who the Kardashians are and she mentions Robert Sr. and the letter.  So, now I know.

• Love 4
Though even some people who were adults at the time are claiming that OJ was larger than life and universally beloved which is absolutely not the case.

Seems to me that different people saw him differently. There can't be one right answer on how famous he was, just that most everyone knew his name. I knew his name, and I was 7. But I'm also black and from southern California, so maybe my family was full of OJ fans (pre 1994).

There is no single celebrity this day that everyone feels the same about. So, we won't assume everyone felt the same about OJ back then. 

• Love 7

Chiming in here, too.  I am a Canadian, white, woman, not a football fan, and only sort of knew OJ Simpson from tv and movies. He was not, in any way, a hero of mine. But I can say this with absolute certainty -- I did not want him to be guilty of that crime.

I do believe he was, and I do believe a great miscarriage of justice occurred, not only in him getting away with it, but for the families. It was a heart breaker all around for me.

• Love 7

Universal <> 100% everyone.  It means that "by and large" or a majority, and in a way that crossed geography, class, gender, age and race lines.  Merely saying there were those that didn't love him or care does not negate the "universal" description.  Of course it doesn't apply to 100%, each and every person, but IMO no one said it did.

• Love 6

All told, how long were AC and OJ in the Bronco?  How did they not run out of gas....

Just another example of OJ's celebrity benefiting him.

Does OJ have to worry about LA traffic?  He's OJ.  The roads are cleared, so there's none of that annoying stop and start that cuts down on your gas mileage.  And because OJ's such a boss, AC is only driving around 35 mph, which also helps.  Screw the double murders and the fugitive from justice crap.  They should have been pulled over for driving too slowly.

Plus, according to the Information Superhighway, a 1993 Ford Bronco had a 32 gallon gas tank, so there's that.

Pity Ford couldn't capitalize on it, but they couldn't have a campaign based on

Ford Bronco: When you absolutely, positively can't stop for gas because you're in a slow chase felony pursuit from the police.

• Love 20

Regarding the OJ love, I was born in the early '70's when OJ was in his prime career wise (I guess). While my father was a sports fan, I had zero interest in anything sports related - then and now. I was, however, extremely aware of OJ Simpson, and always thought of him as kind of a lovable goofball. Probably because I didn't pay attention to his sports career, but knew him from the Naked Gun movies, Hertz commercials - and wasn't he a small bit player on one of the Airplane movies? He was so famous that I just assumed he must have been a great football player, which I guess he was, regardless of never having made it to the Super Bowl.

I'm not positive about the Airplane! movies, but he does have a small part in The Towering Inferno. He's a security guard at the building involved in the inferno who discovers the beginning of the fire & starts evacuating some of the lesser of the major characters (the ones who aren't killed early in the movie & also aren't trapped at the party in the penthouse/way high floor ballroom with the HUGE names in the cast--Paul Newman, Faye Dunaway, etc.). I think it's implied his character lived through the fire, but I'm not totally positive.

• Love 3

I'm not going to stop watching, but I do agree with your friend. His physical presence was so much part of the overall package with him. Surely they could have found an actor of CGJs stature with more of the presence and charisma.

• Love 2

I'm not going to stop watching, but I do agree with your friend. His physical presence was so much part of the overall package with him. Surely they could have found an actor of CGJs stature with more of the presence and charisma.

Or why settle? Go more imposing.

Two words: Idris Elba.

He's done a decent (well at least acceptable) American accent before. He's big (he's 6 foot 3) He's a great actor. Facially he doesn't look anything like OJ, but having three of the four (the size, the charisma and acting ability) would have been enough. He's got a bit less mass than OJ did (Elba is built more like a short basketball player than a tall football player), but at least he's in the neighborhood.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 7

We've gone a bit off the subject of the actual episode here, I think.

How about I start a casting/characters threads for us to continue that discussion, and a separate one to talk about OJ himself? Yes, good idea, Aeth. Through the magic of time lapse...

Casting thread: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/38600-casting-lab-characters-or-caricatures/

OJ thread: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/38598-the-juice-is-loose-oj-simpson-general-discussion/#entry1949820

• Love 5

OJ was in The Towering Inferno and his character did survive. I remember this from seeing the movie as a young kid because he saved an old lady's cat and gave it to her husband at the end. (I believe the woman died.). I may have shed a tear.

• Love 1

I think he was more stupid (and Canadian--where they didn't have the same race issues) rather than racist. "

I wonder how many black people Peter Jennings actually knew. I mean apart from political activists(Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton types) and the people who cleaned his house and office. I'm guessing not too many.

• Love 2

OJ was in The Towering Inferno and his character did survive. I remember this from seeing the movie as a young kid because he saved an old lady's cat and gave it to her husband at the end. (I believe the woman died.). I may have shed a tear.

You're right. I forgot that part. But the character who got the cat (played by Fred Astaire) wasn't the dead lady (played by Jennifer Jones)'s husband. He was a con artist trying to scam her & they fell in love somehow by the time the fire started (I don't think they knew each other before, but I can't remember). She originally survived the fire but was killed when a scenic elevator the people trapped in the upstairs ballroom were using in an attempt to escape the fire ran off its track or something & crashed to the ground below.

So, yeah, OJ's character did survive the fire. I think this was his first acting role, or 1 of his first acting roles.

I wonder how many black people Peter Jennings actually knew. I mean apart from political activists(Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton types) and the people who cleaned his house and office. I'm guessing not too many.

He should have, having worked in New York for years, but that was part of my point--what you experience in your youth does set the tone for the rest of your life sometimes. The society he came from discriminate like crazy against their indigenous peoples (who I believe prefer the phrase "First Nations" to anything like "Native Canadians"). That said, I'd forgotten he was from Toronto--and I do think (by far, actually) it's got one of the largest black population clusters in Canada. So maybe... it WAS just that he was stupid.

But the episode totally decided to skip over Jennings and only show us NBC news. What a shame!

Or why settle? Go more imposing.

Two words: Idris Elba.

He's done a decent (well at least acceptable) American accent before. He's big (he's 6 foot 3) He's a great actor. Facially he doesn't look anything like OJ, but having three of the four (the size, the charisma and acting ability) would have been enough. He's got a bit less mass than OJ did (Elba is built more like a short basketball player than a tall football player), but at least he's in the neighborhood.

He also has a movie career and was probably unavailable/too expensive for this project.

• Love 2

I can't believe I am watching and enjoying this mini-series as much as I am. I remember rolling my eyes when hearing not only that it was being made but that it was being made by Ryan Murphy. Yet, here I am, perched and ready for the next episode. LOL!

One thing I will say is that this is making me so much more sympathetic towards Charles Darden. He really got vilified and called all kinds of sell out and self-hating during that time. 

Me too. I am even more astounded that I am interested in it. I thought the real trial burned me out but, nope I am spellbound.  I can't quite explain it but the actual trial and events made me feel like I was always on the outside.. on that darn jury wall watching, but this series is bringing me into the "inside" where I feel like I have four walls around me.

My "bronco run" story is that I had just taken the LSAT that day. At the time I think my impression was that I thought OJ was innocent. I didn't know any of the facts or I don't think I knew that Nicole was abused or believed it. I thought he could have been innocent and I felt bad for him and fearful he would kill himself. I remember thinking that evidence would come out to clear him. Silly me.  Just three days later I went to see "Speed" which has a very similar movie shot to the Bronco run.

This episode really brought it all back. From the random people actually getting in the way of the car as it was trying to get home, to Jason running out of the house, to the Bronco. I had forgotten that.

I do really feel for Chris Darden and Marcia Clark much more than I did then watching this.I work in law enforcement / criminal justice now and I am struck at how little it seems they really have control over the police. Like the police just do and Marcia and Chris (and Gil) are left to clean up the mess.

I agree. In his prime, OJ was a very attractive man. While Cuba may be a very good actor, his lack of a similar physical presence takes me out of the story. People talk about OJ’s money, but I think his Hollywood good looks also had a lot to do with it. Women found him appealing, and his trial jury was mostly women. Imho, Cuba doesn’t have that same sex appeal.

I noticed some jokes about a Ford Bronco commercial, but I recall that sales went up after the chase. Perhaps some people believed it really was a commercial; the Ford ahead of all the police cars was a nice visual.

• Love 6

Is Cuba playing OJ with some sort of mental disability or something? When he kept saying sorry to the cops and then talking about how the people weren't being safe standing on the freeway he sounded like a 5 year old. Or at least the mental capacity of a 5 year old.

Had to laugh though when OJ said he wanted to say goodbye to Don Ohlmeyer. Ohlmeyer of coure was a west coast NBC executive and rumour was he had Norm Macdonald fired from SNL for making too many OJ jokes.

Còol hearing Sabotage though. Ill Communication is a great album. And that Coolio song that Darden's friends were listening to me totally took me back since a high school friend had a cassette with that song on it and played it all the time.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 6

You know, the takeaway from the episode for me is that Malcolm-Jamal Warner is a very good actor.  I don't think most of the chase scenes would have had nearly as much impact without him, because I still can't find anything to like about CGJr's performance.

And honestly, he's the weak link.  I actually am enjoying David Schwimmer and am agnostic about Travolta, but its the performance at the center of the show that's giving me the most trouble.

But I wonder if that ultimately doesn't matter.  This whole thing is about so much more than just OJ, and most everything else is bringing the goods about that.

• Love 4

CGJ's acting ability isn't the issue, IMO. It's that he's up against an unsurmountable barrier--that he's SO unlike OJ than well... his skin color is about the only think that rings true. It's not just the looks or height, it's that while Gooding can emote certain things really well, he can't pull off being large, threatening, and yet also a charming brute.

• Love 3

I'm not sure it's a question of ability, although frankly aside from Boyz in the Hood and Jerry Maguire, I'm blanking on a performance of his that I actually thought was good.  He's certainly doing his best, but it's just not clicking for me.  I could even overlook the physical differences if I thought he was getting into OJ's head, but I don't think he's doing that, and it's not like Robert Kardashian could tell us how realistic this is.

Sarah Paulson could easily let the wig do 90% of the performance, but she doesn't.  Travolta may be broad, but he's clearly trying to do Robert Shapiro.  But I can't look at CGJr and not see CGJr.  And I don't think that's completely on the lack of resemblance to the actual OJ.

Even with that said, this episode was the most riveting thing I've seen on TV in a long time, It's weird, I know I watched the Broncho chase, but I don't remember the specifics of what I was doing at the time.  I absolutely remember the verdict, because I was sitting in civics class.  

• Love 2

Is Cuba playing OJ with some sort of mental disability or something? When he kept saying sorry to the cops and then talking about how the people weren't being safe standing on the freeway he sounded like a 5 year old.

Had to laugh though when OJ said he wanted to say goodbye to Don Ohlmeyer. Ohlmeyer of coure was a west coast NBC executive and rumour was he had Norm Macdonald fired from SNL for making too many OJ jokes.

Còol hearing Sabotage though. Ill Communication is a great album. And that Coolio song that Darden's friends were listening to me totally took me back since a high school friend had a cassette with that song on it and played it all the time.

That and the fact that he said the F word during the Update segment.  

I think a great casting choice to play OJ would have been Billy Brown. He plays Nate on How To Get Away With Murder. He has OJ's commanding presence, height, build, and deep voice. All he would need is a hair piece, and he would be good to go.

https://www.google.com/search?q=billy+brown+actor&biw=1599&bih=949&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwibpNnVwPLKAhXGNj4KHaFfD2sQ_AUIBigB

I thought of him too. He doesn't look much like OJ, but definitely has a much more imposing presence than CGJ. He can be charming, lovable, sympathetic, and scary.

• Love 2