Type keyword(s) to search

The Good Wife in the Media

I think about how I mourned the ends of Mad Men or Breaking Bad compared to how relived I am that The Good Wife is almost over

To be fair, this show gave us 5 seasons of quality TV. Which was 112 episodes by then. Mad Men by season 5 only had 65 episodes, and Breaking Bad had 62 episodes by it's 5th and final season. So over 100 episodes of really good TV? Not a bad feat there.

• Love 3

It's a real problem for the show that so few people like Julianna Marguilies any more. Not just Alicia, but Julianna. She is close to Katherine Heigl territory for me.

I enjoyed the show so very much for the first several seasons -- it was on my "must list" weekly -- but have lost all interest in the Florricks. Diane and Cary are my two that I'd follow in a spin-off.

I did think the Super Bowl surprise ad about the series end was cool -- major wow way to announce!

• Love 3

Ugh, I'm really starting to wince at the mere mention of Robert and Michelle King. Why can't they conduct an interview without digging themselves in any deeper? Stop reminding us of the inconsistencies, dropped characters and Kalinda-related tomfoolery! Jesus, change your narrative already!

3. Look for lots of old friends to return for these final episodes. “We’re trying to get a few, like Robyn [the investigator, played by Jess Weixler] to show where they ended up and landed,” said Robert King. “We want to check in with characters we haven’t seen.”

4. But that doesn’t include Kalinda. “That’s not our expectation,” said Michelle King. “That’s because she’s moved onto another series, which we can’t wait to see,” added Robert King.

Am I supposed to be curious about where Robyn ended up? I don't recall the show telling or showing me that she had actually gone anywhere! And of all of the characters they've disappeared, Robyn even makes the people-we-need-to-know-what-happened-to list? I enjoyed her character, especially in conjunction with Kalinda and Cary, but really...?

And just stop already with how rosy your relationship with AP is, good god, that body has been buried, dug up, burned, and tossed overboard. it's like they're hoping we all have acquired some type of transient TGW-induced amnesia. Isn't Archie's next project slated for fall 2016 at the earliest? Find a better way to address any mention of AP Kings, you've had years to come up with something, get the lead out.

I've failed to hold much against the Kings really in the muckity muck TGW has become, but every time they start talking about the show, they remove any doubt that they and their beloved producer, JM, are the real life Peter-and-Alicia/marriage of equally awful narcissistic jerks who will not get out of their own way. We really need a public break-up letter addressed to the Kings to the tune of, "It's not me, it's you..."

• Love 7

I'm glad the show is ending.  I love the cases, I like nearly all of the characters.  I just hate Alicia.  I would absolutely love it if the producers did a spin off with Diane/Carey and left Alicia in the dust.  I'm so sick of saint Alicia who can do no wrong, who's always right, who's such a victim all the time.

• Love 5

Anyone know if there is any big news about this show.........is this going to be the last season or are they just leaking that rumor to a few close friends and family members??

I am continually bummed that there is no sarcasm font since they "leaked it" to  oh, about 111 million people on Sunday night!

They rumor I saw this morning was that they spin off would be with some of the recurring characters like Patty Nyholm (boring) or Elzabeth Tascioni. Boy that would be a lot of Elzbeth's unique form of crazy...altho I would like one more dose.

As we head to the finish line, do you think we'll get a little more Colin Sweeney? I do love watching Dylan Baker chew up the scenery.

Maybe a final threatening visit from Bishop?

• Love 1

I'm glad the show is ending.  I love the cases, I like nearly all of the characters.  I just hate Alicia.  I would absolutely love it if the producers did a spin off with Diane/Carey and left Alicia in the dust.  I'm so sick of saint Alicia who can do no wrong, who's always right, who's such a victim all the time.

I feel the same way. I'd watch a Diane/Carey spin off. I wish they could reboot the show by killing Alicia off and have everyone else stay on. I find myself watching now and thinking I'd really enjoy the show more if she wasn't on it.

Here are a few other articles on the Kings' conference call:

http://parade.com/456153/paulettecohn/the-good-wife-creators-tease-the-final-nine-episodes-of-the-cbs-drama/

http://www.accesshollywood.com/articles/good-wife-bosses-talk-ending-show-spinoff-potential/

http://deadline.com/2016/02/the-good-wife-spin-off-robert-king-michelle-king-kalinda-1201698380/

Sounds like the Kings are definitely not bringing back the Kalinda and Lemond Bishop characters. Gary Cole will be back. They're trying for Jess Wexler. They're working on a bunch of others too.

Regarding a potential spin-off, they specifically mention the Elsbeth and Patty Nyholm characters as possibilities. Sounds like they would consider doing a show with different ensembles surrounding one of these characters. Not really anything to do with the Diane or Cary characters. But this all sounds very vague and not even in any sort of planning stage yet.

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 1

I was at a restaurant with friends watching the game when I happen to see the commercial about this being the final season.  I cheered and said how happy I was that they were finally putting this how out of its misery, which I'm thinking isn't the reaction that the creators were going for.  It was so awesome in the beginning and it blows my mind that it turned into the mess it is now.

• Love 4

I doubt Elsbeth would be back (for any spinoff) as Carrie Preston is already working on a new show.

From TV Line:

The Good Wife is, quite literally, going out with a bang — and Blair Underwood will be a part of the turmoil.

The L.A. Law vet is set to guest-star on the CBS drama’s final season, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Underwood — who most recently recurred on Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. — will play Henry, a middle-class motel owner still mourning the death of his teenage daughter, who was struck by a random bullet. Determined to fight back against gun violence in his community, Henry finds himself in court defending his methods.

Edited by milkyaqua

We haven't watched all season so I can't say I'll miss it. I'll probably Netflix it next year, but the show kinda lost me when they veered from law to politics. I love politics, but don't want to watch a show about it.

• Love 1

Some short videos about the costume design on the show. Interesting tidbits: the costume designer hates women wearing blouses with collars (which is obvious if you watch this show regularly), Kalinda had at least 30 leather jackets, Cary's suits are custom made (but not by the costume department), and even when they buy off the rack, they still custom fit the outfits to the actors (duh). The costume designer also talks about which designers they use and shows a bunch of the different things they have used on the show.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

Thanks for posting those, ElectricBoogaloo! Fascinating and impressive for certain, and yet overwhelming when I wonder about the actual financial value of that warehouse(?) as we see rack after rack after rack and the lists of designers. The guy cracked me up when he name-checked H&M and Zara as though he were admitting to having passed off chocolate Easter coins as gold krugerrands. Good to get confirmation that Alicia's red suit from the party was in fact neoprene, and is it odd that I find only 30 or so jackets for Kalinda to be surprisingly few? 

The whole thing gives me a massive amount of appreciation for the costumes needed for every single person on screen, all of the extras in a courthouse or any given scene; it's just astonishing. And also for how odd it must be to have to essentially remain physically consistent in weight and fitness for long durations and perhaps 6 months to 1 year ahead of time!

• Love 1

From TV Line:  TVLine Items: Good Wife Meets Smash, Bosch Scores Season 3 and More

Are we about to witness The Good Wife: The Musical?

Broadway vet and Smash alumna Megan Hilty has been cast in an upcoming episode of the CBS drama, the network revealed Friday.

RELATEDGood Wife Creators Preview Final Eps: No Kalinda or Will — But Other Fan Faves, an ‘Inevitable, Surprising’ End

Hilty will guest-star as Holly Westfall, a business owner and rival of Diane’s husband, Kurt McVeigh. Fellow Broadway star Matthew Morrison, who currently plays assistant U.S. attorney Connor Fox on The Good Wife, shared an on-set photo of himself and Hilty on Instagram:

Julianna Margulies, in Closing Arguments for ‘The Good Wife’

Is there any merit to the rumblings of a feud between Julianna and Archie Panjabi [who played the private investigator Kalinda Sharma], that they didn’t film their scenes together toward the end of her run on the show?

MARGULIES It’s all silly gossip, and I don’t want to go there.

There’s a reason that serialized shows live more on cable and streaming than they do on network. Because it’s really hard to top yourself 22 times and not get to melodrama. “Scandal” embraces it, and good for them. They don’t try to live in reality. But if you try to live in reality, like “The Good Wife” does, that’s a difficult thing to do.

Perhaps this is posted elsewhere and I don't have my bearings yet...? but, Julianna, Christine and Matt are all slated to be on Late Night with Stephen Colbert tonight. There are also a few other people listed, so I'm not sure if he's hosting 2 different groups of people or what exactly. I can't think of a time that Matt C has ever done a late night show! 

(edited)

Todd VanDerWerff over at Vox shares his thoughts about when and why The  Good Wife started to fall apart.

Here's the basic thrust of his argument:

"almost all of its important relationships involved Alicia." 

and unlike Mad Men, which was able to "occasionally build out its supporting relationships to the degree that the protagonist can remain largely absent for several episodes and not be missed."  

the departures of Will and Kalinda "created large holes the show just couldn't fill, no matter how it tried.

I actually think that the best part of The Good Wife is its strong ensemble cast. Had the writers devoted more time to more fully developing some of those secondary relationships, the show would have been far more cohesive that it was in its final years, as Alicia pulled away from the center. 

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/6/11604840/the-good-wife-finale-will

Edited by wonderwoman
correction
  • Love 6
(edited)

Every time I read an interview with the Kings I end up with the impression that they're sort of ... awful? Does anyone else find they always manage to sound shallow and self-congratulatory, without ever being as ground-breaking as they think they are? 

And, I'm sorry, but, as much as I want to like Margulies, her comments about the "silly gossip" about what went on or didn't go on between her and Archie Panjabi have never sounded either convincing or sincere.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 5

Every time I read an interview with the Kings I end up with the impression that they're sort of ... awful? Does anyone else find they always manage to sound shallow and self-congratulatory, without ever being as ground-breaking as they think they are? 

I've never heard them speak (on video) until tonight when I checked out the "bonus" letter and interview at cbs.com, but it was an underwhelming experience. They've certainly said some stupid things in the past, though those have been about issues or changes that come up and they are asked to comment or whatever, but I assume they took some time to plan their thoughts on the finale. They both seem to have a naiveté about their central character and sound very grateful/starstruck when speaking about their actors and CBS. Michelle said something about how Alicia was now realizing (in the finale) that she could have an impact on people in a negative way, but that sounded false to me since Alicia has been shown to put quite a lot of thought and time into getting the upper hand or even punishing people whom she perceives haven't given her what she's owed. I don't know, it was just odd... more like it was Michelle who was just waking up to Alicia being capable of "victimizing." They did sound like they've been under the impression that Alicia was very sympathetic and likable until fairly recently, and like they had to go to lengths to really turn her into someone you might not always root for. It's a conundrum to me that they created the characters and story but haven't picked up on so much, but it also offers some explanation to me for why the character was so unlikable and self-unaware, because they are as well when it comes to the characters, though I'm not sure how they've maintained that over years of writing and seeing the finished product. 

There really is, and has been, this huge press blast going on for the past 2 seasons almost, I think, where every article or mention of TGW comes with an awards-appropriate speech about how they are the only non-cable show of this quality. While it was beautifully conceived and very well done for years, I'm not seeing the cause for these accolades to the degree that only "dark and gritty" cable fare are this well done; there is quite a lot of truly excellent content out there, and I'm not thinking of HBO, Showtime, etc. Sounds like it was a surprise hit and one of the few CBS shows that isn't paint-by-number, so CBS puffed them up, and (I've found) not criticized very often, or any criticism is relegated to gossip. I'm still under the impression that they've had a very cushy run for any show on any network, and had a lot more financial support than anything not on cable, so it's about as David and Goliath as Kelly Ripa, imo. 

Maybe I've been kind of spoiled though because there are shows and podcasts where show runners and writers and teams speak about their work and are much more insightful and knowledgeable about their creations and my expectations have been raised many times over by them.

• Love 5

The New Yorker asks What Was "The Good Wife" Really About?

But the show’s final episode took a different turn, reminding us that “The Good Wife” has never just been a show about power; it has also been about knowledge and the ways it can change an argument, a court case, a life. Seven seasons ago, the series began with the revelation of Peter Florrick’s infidelity. Now it ended with the revelation of another affair—this time between Kurt McVeigh, the husband of Alicia’s law partner, Diane Lockhart, and McVeigh’s former student Holly Westfall. Diane probably should have discovered the affair; in retrospect, the signs were obvious. But she missed it, perhaps willfully, just as Alicia once missed the signs of Peter’s transgressions. Alicia’s ignorance was once regarded with condescension by onlookers, Diane among them, who affected an air of knowing familiarity with her private life. This time, though, it was Alicia who unmasked Diane’s affair, with a nonchalance that said, in effect, “You should have known!” Alicia forced Diane to acknowledge a truth she would have preferred to ignore.

Gosh, is that what happened?  Must have been while I was yawning.

• Love 4

Well, it was a good show for a long time and got a ton of critical acclaim.  Based on various interviews over the years, the Kings really did have a strong vision and a philosophical look on the show.  Not that viewers have to agree with their vision or that it was well-executed, but I wouldn't say critics are sucking up.  I like The New Yorker's take.  

• Love 1

Sorry if this has been posted before, 

It was overall a very enjoyable session. One particular point though, (9m35s) Michelle reveals that Jason O'Mara, Damian Boyle - the Irish attorney, was supposed to be the one who comforts Alicia after Will's death. They had to drop the plot though because the actor wasn't available anymore, which explains why he disappeared so suddenly. IIRC he was one of the least loved characters in the whole series. With more time he may have turned out to be an ok guy but I don't mind it didn't panned out as they planned. Especially if that's how Finn was created.

Re the Vox article: ISTM in the first year or two the show developed three great relationships: Alicia and Will; Alicia and Kalinda; Will and Diane. Over time, we got some good stuff also for Will and Kalinda. Cary kind of floated around too much to ever really develop a great relationship with anyone, though they tried. Well, end of S2 they broke up Alicia and Kalinda; mid-S3 they broke up Will and Alicia; left Diane and Will - and Josh Charles's departure killed that and, IMO, broke the show because the others were already gone.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'd add the Alicia/Peter relationship to the mix. Chris Noth was not on the show as much in the past couple of seasons and I think that hurt the show.  I guess it could be a writing choice, but I'm assuming actor availability has something to do with it.  

Edited by Noreaster
(edited)

Does anyone know if this is the last Emmys that TGW is in the running for? I'm never able to follow the logic of the timing but was, er, surprised to see they only received 4 noms. And no noms for actors except Micheal J Fox and Carrie Preston as guest stars, and then 1 each for costumes and writing. Maybe they have next year as well? If not, it's sort of a snub, imho, for some of the actors (not the project overall, the Kings and their stahhhh!).

Edited by meisje

This is the last one. Juliana doesn't get another award and really it's unlikely based on who they're up against that the show will win anything.

Thanks for clarifying, I stopped being able to keep up with the cut off times when Mad Men and Breaking Bad broke up their final seasons like a bunch of maniacs and I was seeing everyone a full year or so later for awards.

I'm sorry for Christine Baranski, that's for certain... and even Cush Jumbo deserved a nod, imho. I had to give up hope for Cary when they decided to stop writing for him.

I almost expected a new "Sexy Wolf Detective, Recurring or Guest" category for that bearded lollipop JDM! Julianna had pretty much everything riding on this project, I see only one 2018 project in pre-production starring Richard Gere, Bradley Whitford and JM (strange combo). Guess she'll have to have to wrap her ego in a blanket of syndication royalities from TGW and Ghost Ship and articles about her 'mistaken-for-a-model' husband.  

• Love 1

Full list of the last ever Emmy nominations for The Good Wife:

Outstanding guest actor in a drama serie - Michael J. Fox
Outstanding guest actress in a drama series - Carrie Preston
Outstanding Costumes For A Contemporary Series, Limited Series Or Movie
Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series - Bob King, Michelle King

• Love 1

The Kings often said TGW was based more on the Anthony Weiner scandal(s) than the Clintons. I've just seen the new documentary about Weiner ("Weiner"), and you can really see it. There were a lot of bits of or inspirations for Alicia's and Peter's arc that I recognized. It's a superbly done documentary: captures the real people with empathy while acknowledging the inevitable absurdity. As Weiner says at one point when asked why the scandal blew up so big, "I lied to them. I have a funny name."

• Love 1

The Kings often said TGW was based more on the Anthony Weiner scandal(s) than the Clintons. I've just seen the new documentary about Weiner ("Weiner"), and you can really see it.

Huh. I never read much about this show but I always figured the largest inspiration came from the Spitzers. Weiner/Abedin never occurred to me.

Edited by ktwo
  • Love 2

Possibly in later seasons they based the storylines (such as they were) on the Weiner scandals, but the show premiered in 2009.  Weiner didn't blow up until 2011.  I'd go with the original inspiration coming from the Spitzers.

And honestly, with the way the show played out, they should have stuck with the Spitzers.

• Love 2

I just read that and laughed and laughed and laughed.  Oh yes, the Kings and their great "seven year plan" for The Good Wife storyline.  My ass!  Foiled by a busy actress.  Again, bullshit.  And if their seven year plan was that Alicia only finds happiness in the arms of another man, and that she couldn't do it in seven years on her own, well, then.......oh, I'm not even going to finish my thoughts here.  It just got too ridiculous the last two seasons to be worthy of analysis.

• Love 5