Type keyword(s) to search

The Good Wife in the Media

He was doing Ringer and TGW at the same time, so he may not have to leave necessarily. On the other hand, he wasn't a lead on Ringer, and it seems that he will be a lead here? It would be good if Kalinda goes out on a win though. I just hope she does it for herself and Cary and not for her precious Alicia. 

• Love 2

It sounds like he'll be doing Jessica Jones and his own Luke Cage series.  So while it's possible he could do double or triple duty, I'd be surprised.

It does set it up (if TPTB have a clue) for Kalinda to try and get Cary out of the mess he's in by taking care of Bishop and leaving on her own terms.  Which is what I'd prefer happen as opposed to killing her off (which is what TVLine has also said):

That The Good Wife gives Archie Panjabi's Kalinda a satisfying yet appropriately ambiguous exit that leaves the door open for a return appearance. In other words, please don't kill her!
  • Love 1
Wouldn't Diane be in as much trouble as Kalinda? Diane was the lead defense lawyer who presented falsified evidence. It might even affect Alicia's campaign.

Diane didn’t knowingly present false evidence, so her culpability is unclear. Some might say she had an objectively reasonable basis to believe the evidence was solid, i.e., Kalinda told her, or at least suggested to her, that she had found something Brady-worthy. But, as others have noted, "I just lifted it from Kalinda's computer" seems like a rather thin excuse. It’s also unclear how Diane got this stuff from Kalinda’s computer and how she knew what it was and how to interpret it.

But even what Kalinda did is also unclear. And that’s where I’m confused. What exactly did Kalinda and the nerd-assistant do? They were given access to the DA server to review files. That permission doesn’t need to come with authority to make changes to anything, let alone make permanent changes in a way the erases any record of making those changes. In geek terms, they should have had permission to read data, not write it. But at least some write permission they apparently had. But wouldn’t the post-receipt backup tapes from all other days (or hours – or whatever frequency of backup tapes they have) still have the correct information? Wouldn’t a server keep very careful track of all changes like this? I recognize they were going for Kalinda throwing caution to the wind because of her loyalty to Cary, but there’s no way this was doable without generating miles of incrementing data.

However, the idea of faking something to secure a larger justice, but then later discovering there was a legitimate way to reach that same justice that made the illicit behavior unnecessary - that seemed all too real.

Edited by ahpny
  • Love 1

I am completely confused by this show right now. Last week, The Debate, was not shown in CA, we got a re run with Will instead. Why, I have no clue but someone else posted on that thead with me about being confused.

Now tonight my Cox Cable schedule is showing another old episode with Will, something about Dianne defending the gun dude whom I think she ended up marrying though we never see him at all.

Is anyone seeing a new episode tonight or are we all seeing re runs? I am totally friggin confused right now...

Is anyone seeing a new episode tonight or are we all seeing re runs? I am totally friggin confused right now...

I don't think the Eastern and Central time zones saw any episode of TGW last night due to the NFL league championship game between the Patriots and the Colts.  The game ended after 10e/9c, followed by post-game coverage until the 11e/10c news program.  You may have seen a rerun in CA because the game ended well before 10 pm your time.

I'm not sure I believe the producers when they say this was all "intentional" (implying that even not seeing them casually in the same scene not interacting was part of some master plan too).

Good Wife Boss: Alicia-Kalinda Separation 'Intentional'

Reminded of the fact that Julianna Margulies and Archie Panjabi haven’t shared a scene together in more than two seasons, series cocreator Robert King told TVLine Saturday at PaleyFest that the decision to keep the two characters apart “is very much intentional to raise expectations,” adding that viewers should, “stay tuned.”

Um.  Right.

I'd say any planned "reunion" of the characters will be specifically BECAUSE people complained and acting like it was the plan all along (and implying that there was no interpersonal conflict with the actors) sounds like a crock.

• Love 7

Thanks for that link, Black Knight. I can only speak for myself, but I will not be watching TGW after AP leaves. As it is, I dvr it the show because I've been watching another show (TWD) which is scheduled at at the same time as TGW. I'm a couple of episodes behind on TGW, frankly because it's gotten so hard for me to deal with JM as Alicia. I just CAN'T stand her character. I've felt like that for at least a couple of seasons now.

I'll follow Archie's career wherever it leads....JM, not so much.

Gosh, look who's missing from this very nice article about AP's upcoming exit (no spoilers): http://www.afterellen.com/tv/422781-what-will-the-good-wife-look-like-without-kalinda

What spin on that article. You can clearly smell that a little horse trading was possibly done to get access to all of those people for quotes, because of how neatly the article is constructed to not even MENTION Alicia or Julianna. Don't believe me? Use a search function on the article. The phrases "alicia" and "julianna" aren't even IN the piece.  Anywhere.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4

Yes, the AfterEllen site has always been very careful to keep any whiff of the backstage issues out of articles about Kalinda and TGW.

The AE recapper will admit in the comments for her recaps that she thinks the lack of interaction is weird and that she hopes that there aren't problems. That's as far as anyone officially connected with the site will go.

But of course, the (continued) glaring absence of JM, the lead of the show, while Baranski and Czuchry go on and on, speaks for itself. It's quite remarkable. You know the network/show publicists have to have been telling her, "At least one little boilerplate quote, that's all. Even a 'We thank Archie for her contributions to the show,' or 'The character will be missed by fans' will do." But JM won't even do that, despite how terrible the optics are for her as a result.

• Love 7

On the flip side, while Cary has always bored me, Matt Czuchry just seems like such a sweetheart and a really thoughtful guy IRL. You go on being you, Matt C--and Christine Baranski, of course!

That picture of Diane and Kalinda is cracking me up, also.

• Love 2

Is this the right spot? I think so.. Julianna Margulies is on the newest Charlie Rose. My DVR picked it up at 3am, but my PBS station is straight-up nuts with their air times, so my best guess is it's Wednesday's show. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but she is the third/last guest I believe. The intro showed her saying something about how the Kings had written the election story so that she would never win for blah blah blah reasons, so I'm looking forward to hearing about their "reasoning" and "planning." I got a hearty laugh seeing the clip because she is dressed, coiffed and made up as though she is attending an awards show. It's so Julianna to do The-Golden-Globes-go-to-Charlie-Rose look," because, you know, IMAGE! A bit mind-boggling to see on CR. And, I just found more "news" about how absurdly-handsome her "real-life Ken Doll" husband is (with galleries of picture proof) when checking the spelling of her last name. Is it voting season for something?

Edited by meisje

Kalinda will appear in the season finale

During last night’s episode of The Good Wife, it seemed that fans had to say goodbye to Archie Panjabi’s Kalinda when she decided to flee after turning in evidence against Lemond Bishop. By the end of the episode, Kalinda had her final kiss with Cary, called Diane one last time, and left Alicia a note. But was that really her exit?

The long and short of it is: We’re not sure. But we do know that last night wasn’t the last time you will see Kalinda this season. When EW asked whether Kalinda will appear in the show’s upcoming finale, executive producer Michelle King said, “Yes. We will see her.” Whether we’ll see her in a flashback, a flashforward, or the present day, however, remains unknown.

Executive producer Robert King did elaborate a bit, saying, “[The finale] answers a lot of questions regarding Kalinda, which I think there will be some mystery about. Has she truly left the show? Or are there still beats to be handled with, or story elements to be handled with her? So [the finale] answers the question of Kalinda for the year.”

Does this mean we might still get one final Alicia-Kalinda moment? We can only hope.

At least she's showing up.

• Love 3

More on this from TV Line:  Good Wife Finale Scoop: Kalinda Will Be Back (and Fans Will Be Very Happy)

TVLine has learned that Panjabi — whose exit from the series was announced back in October — figures prominently in the CBS drama’s May 10 season finale. In fact, sources confirm that the episode, titled appropriately “Old Issues,” is poised to feature that scene.

Yep, barring any last-minute tweaks to the episode, “Kalicia” ‘shippers will get the face-to-face moment between Panjabi and Julianna Margulies for which they’ve been waiting nearly three years. And I hear it’ll be a crowd-pleaser — satisfying, heartbreaking, funny, etc.
  • Love 1

I really feel like it's a case of too little too late. And just my opinion/reaction, but it really makes me angry they think that a 3 minute scene or whatever it is can make up for seasons where a great onscreen relationship was destroyed, where (imo) a great character was marginalized, and where the "star" became increasingly unlikable, treating people that cared about her like shit.

But yes, give us silly fans some 3 minute scene we can eagerly lap up to make everything all better, a decision which no doubt was truly part of their master plan that we all just didn't get, rather than a decision being motivated by the increasing media and fan speculation and criticism. (Sarcasm) I think I said this before but I would respect the Kings more if they just owned it and moved on.

Yeah I'm bitter (sigh). Me and the Good Wife, it's been a rough breakup.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 14

Dammit...now I feel like I HAVE to watch the finale. Argh. I thought I was so close to escaping it.

Do agree that I found something bizarrely respectable about the Kings not giving in and having a Kalinda/Alicia scene, and lost a little respect for them for doing it. Like, just own that you did it, guys. Jeez.

I love how TVLine adds the caveat "barring any last-minute tweaks." I'm going to be so, SO pissed if I sit through this crap for an hour and there IS a last-minute tweak. Hopefully announcing it means the Kings can't go back on it....

• Love 4

Well to be fair it could be shot as if it was face to face but in fact it was using back doubles, so we see Kalinda's front but some extra made up to look like Alicia from behind and vice-versa, or maybe it will all be green screen or computer generated.  With JM and this show who is to say really.

• Love 1

Maybe it will be a dream sequence?  That would be the troll to end all trolls!

Somone on twitter suggest that for this scene, Kalinda's role would be played by a mop in a leather jacket:)

• Love 2

It's pitiful that the idea of Alicia and Kalinda sharing a scene together has become such a momentous thing. The fact that backstage drama has overtaken onscreen drama is an embarrassment.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 9

From TV Insider's Matt Roush:

Question: After watching last Sunday's episode of The Good Wife, I am so disappointed with the storyline that has been the exit for the Kalinda character. Juxtaposed against the exit of Josh Charles last season, it is even more glaringly out of sync for what is usually such a well-crafted series. After such a disconnected arc this season, when she turned to the camera and said good-bye, my reaction was a shrug and a sigh. My question to you is, can you recall the last time such a compelling and complex character was marginalized to the point of indifference on a series that is still of such good quality? — Tracy

Matt Roush: By all accounts, we haven't seen the last of Kalinda/Archie Panjabi this season, her "goodbye" to the camera notwithstanding. So maybe there's still hope for a more satisfying exit, and perhaps even an actual scene with Kalinda and Alicia sharing the same geographical space? While we wait for such a miracle to transpire, I'd agree that Sunday's events were particularly clumsy and unworthy of this usually smooth operator. (Even in her haste not to be caught by Bishop, Kalinda's handling of the flash-drive situation felt awfully amateur.) I'll sidestep your broader question—in part because nothing comes immediately to mind, and I don't have time these days to do archival research—to add that while this hasn't been my favorite storyline this season, I'm not sure they've actually marginalized Kalinda. She was a key player, emotionally and otherwise, in the defense of Cary, and the snafu involving the faked e-mail was harrowing for all involved, especially Diane. And her relationship with Bishop has been fraught with peril from the start. But you're hardly the only one dissatisfied. Read on …

Question: This season of The Good Wife feels like it has gone off the rails. All the things I loved about it—the relationship between all the characters, Alicia's struggles with life, love and work, the twists and turns, grounded in strong storytelling and the complex character studies—gave way to contrived and shallow stories. Cary to jail, Kalinda's "job" with Lemond Bishop, the law firm ending up back at the old offices, and worst, Alicia's botched political career, all felt more soap opera than Emmy-winning drama. They might have salvaged it for me if she'd actually lost. I found myself tuning away mid-episode for much of the last half of the season. What's your opinion? Have you found this season satisfying? If not, where do you think they went wrong? If so, what's working for you? (Maybe I can focus on that.) — TaMara

Matt Roush: I'm still satisfied and engrossed—this remains my favorite and most entertaining of all dramas on any broadcast network, and I look forward to it every Sunday—but will concede that last season was probably its peak, and it would be hard to top that. It's also true this season had more melodrama driving the action—Cary's legal jeopardy, in particular—but there has been much to enjoy, and I felt the election storyline put Alicia in an intriguing new type of public spotlight, dealing with a different set of personal and ethical challenges, and Julianna Margulies rose to the occasion (including in the episode that took place inside her head; no coasting on the part of the writers on that one). I also enjoyed her rapport with new recurring co-stars like Steven Pasquale and especially David Hyde Pierce as her crafty rival. The fact that Alicia both won and lost is classic Good Wife, and I'm very intrigued to see where she'll go from here. It's always risky when a show continually reinvents and shakes up its world the way The Good Wife does. Not everything works equally—I am over Eli's snarky daughter—but on whole, it's still a top player in my book.

(edited)

I completely agree with that article.  It has been ridiculous.  Especially now that the Kings are trying to suggest they have kept the characters apart for over two years intentionally to give resonance to whatever fuckery they have planned for the finale.  We are not stupid. 

I think I honestly would have preferred her gone after she said goodbye directly and only to the audience a couple of episodes ago.  That would have been a fitting end.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3

I think I honestly would have preferred her gone after she said goodbye directly and only to the audience a couple of episodes ago.

And I really can't figure that out, because that was the exit! I've seen similar exits for other TV characters, and it's always been their actual exit! They didn't show up again one or two weeks later for...what? It's just a truly weird order in which to tell a story. Whatever it is that they have planned, I'm sure it could have been done before the finale. Or they could have saved the "Goodbye" shot for the finale, had Kalinda say it to Alicia/viewers instead of Grace/viewers. Why would they use that up two episodes before her actual departure?

• Love 2

Oh, my. I missed that the first time (the clenched teeth), SaabStory. I was so surprised at how skinny she looked in that clip. YIKES!
The link and article above JM's video was much more uplifting, to me at least. I'm really starting to appreciate Matt and his positive comments about working with Archie.

Considering how gossip-prone the TV/movie business is, it is curious how there has not been any substantial leak of any behind-the-scenes bad blood between JM and AP.  Not just from the principals involved, but from anyone else, really, right down to crew members, etc.  On the other hand, the notion that the Kings would keep JM's and AP's characters apart for so long merely to mess with their viewers is completely unbelievable.  Shooting for this season is long over and AP has literally moved on. Wonder when the truth--if there is any--will come out.  That said, they all did a stellar job of keeping Josh Charles's onscreen demise a secret.  

• Love 1

The Kings are being interviewed today on "Fresh Air" (NPR), and so far, I am really enjoying it.  Spending a lot of time talking about Will's death -- and they "have a plan" for the end of the show.  It's about a 25-minute interview. 

I think the issue is that one scene together after two years of obviously going to great lengths to have them not film together isn't exactly going to be satisfactory.

The HitFix podcast rant that was talked about here or the "behind the scenes" thread brought up a great point of where they went wrong--they tried to pretend as if this friendship was repaired while never shooting them together.  Had their relationship never recovered, it might be believable to keep them apart.  Even so, I'd think you'd throw in a few short scenes every once in a while. 

• Love 2