Type keyword(s) to search

The Good Wife in the Media

Casting news from TV Line:

Nestor Carbonell (currently co-starring on Bates Motel) will guest-star on The Good Wife as a charming entrepreneur, CBS announced Monday.

Per an official episode description, Alicia begins to consider her options outside of marriage after a chance encounter with Carbonell’s character. That, in turns, leads her to seek the advice of her mother (played by Stockard Channing).

Carbonell’s installment airs May 4.
Edited by milkyaqua

Considering her mother's flaky marital and personal past, we can only imagine the advice Alicia would receive from her.  Nestor Carbonell is quite dishy, so I could see Alicia's head being turned by him.   Check out the finale spoiler under the Spoilers topic.

Not something that we didn't already suspect; from TVLine's Ask Ausiello:

Question: Will Matthew Goode be returning to The Good Wife next season? Finn started growing on me by the finale. —Jennifer

Ausiello: Robert and Michelle King apparently share your enthusiasm, because I can exclusively confirm that Goode will be back in Season 6 as a full-fledged series regular.

Interview with JM at SAG panel, Eye on Emmy: Julianna Margulies Talks Good Wife's Superior Season 5 and Alicia's Expiration Date:

TVLINE | Anything specific stand out this season that you found satisfying? A particular episode or scene… ?
I loved “Hitting the Fan.” But the episode that I felt like we had turned a corner in terms of being [more than just] this “network television [show]” was our 100th episode, “The Decision Tree.” I loved that [we got to] see what [lawyers] do to prepare for a cross-examination. I [also] loved the sort of film noir [aspect] where all of a sudden we were in flashbacks and
, ‘Was it all in [Will’s] head?’ And the way we it shot against this black drop with no one there but [Will and Alicia] — it felt like an existential play. I’ve never seen that in television, cable or network.

TVLINE | Has Julianna the Good Wife actress ever been at odds with Julianna the Good Wife producer?
[Laughs] There are definitely times that I have to put my producer hat on and let go of being an actor, and there are things that maybe I would complain about but because I’m the producer I don’t.

TVLINE | How long do you envision the show going?
Eighteen years. [Laughs] Robert’s always said he had seven years of this show in him, and my feeling is, I want to do it as long as the writer feels he has something to write… Alicia is basically in every scene. Characters can come and go on the show, but she can’t. So as long as they’re happy to write for Alicia, I’m happy to play her. My guess is we’ll go seven seasons.

I'm glad the show scored few Emmy noms today. Congratulations to everyone who got the nod!

And please, please, please let this be the year in which the amazing and incredibly talented Josh Charles finally gets the award and recognition he deserves. *crosses fingers*

Josh Charles was really stellar in Season 5. His winning would probably constitute a major upset, given the other nominees in the category. Not that that would be a bad thing.

Josh Charles was really stellar in Season 5

He really was. Not that he wasn't before but there's something very special and kind of raw about his season 5 performance. I guess he was particularly inspired by knowing he was leaving soon.

I'm wondering which ep did he submit? Was it Hitting The Fan, which was obviously a great ep for him and all. But I did like him better in The Decision Tree, and thought he was superb there. I think that Josh gave one of the greatest performances I've ever seen on Tv. With all due respect to the other contenders in this category, I think the award should definitely go to Josh.

I'm glad the show scored few Emmy noms today. 

I'm hoping you accidentally left out "a few" as opposed to being glad it didn't get many? (Hey, we've all done it....)

How can the show not be nominated for an Emmy but Juliana, Christine, and Josh all nominated for acting?

It happens all the time; in theory, it might show good discrimination, as acting can be good on a show that is not overall among the best. In this case, though, who knows? It could be, as @Mama No Life says, that this is the nominators' genuine opinion. Or it could be how things happened to add up in different categories as people fumbled among the choices.

I'm hoping you accidentally left out "a few" as opposed to being glad it didn't get many? (Hey, we've all done it....)

Whoops! My mistake, it wasn't intentional at all. I must've been in a hurry or something. :)

The truth is I am genuinely glad the show, or better yet, the phenomenal acting on this show still gets recognized by the Television Academy. No matter how I feel about the certain plot lines, I still enjoy the acting so much. This cast continuous to shine and deserves all the awards (especially JC and CB, imo). It's great that they are getting recognized.

(edited)

So Josh submitted Hitting The Fan for the Emmys. It was truly a great ep for him although I still feel like The Decision Tree would be a slightly better choice. Don't know. I just want him to win this. JM made a good choice by submitting The Last Call, her strongest ep in the last two years Imo. CB had a great plot in Outside The Bubble so I was a bit surprised she picked The Last Call instead.

Wishing them all the best, hope there'll be at least two wins for TGW this year.

Edited by Gusto
  • Love 1

Interviews/quotes with TVLine at the Emmy Awards:

Quote from JM after her acceptance speech:

Elaborating on her acceptance speech nod to the state of female TV characters, The Good Wife's Julianna Margulies said, "Look at what's happening right now. [Viola Davis] is doing her own show. Tea Leoni is doing her own show... You just don't see any of the characters we play in TV in film. I feel very grateful to be here." Then on a lighter note - Alicia Florrick's sex life - Margulies ventured, "It'll probably be a while before you see her in the sack again, would be my guess."
Edited by milkyaqua
Quote from JM after her acceptance speech:

So happy that JM won, well deserved. And I loved her speech so much, bravo lady!

But I'm so sad that Josh didn't win...He's the best and should've won. I don't like TV Academy, they really do seem like a conservative bunch. Giving the Emmys to the same people over and over again, how exciting. Meh.

I said over in the Emmys thread that there should be a "Look Who's Gone!" montage, of characters that were killed off.  That would have put Will up on the screen for recognition (within the throng from Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones). 

Episode description season six premiere; courtesy TV Line:

The Good Wife | Sunday, Sept. 21.
“The Line” – Alicia is adamant in her refusal to run for State’s Attorney despite Eli’s attempts to persuade her to launch a campaign. Meanwhile, as Diane considers joining Florrick/Agos as partner, an internal crisis threatens to destroy the firm.

I didn't see the article it came from personally (or at least I don't remember seeing it) but on the previous forum I was on, this was pretty common knwledge.

Supposedly, JM put the kibosh on the Kalicia friendship because she didn't believe Alicia would remain friends with a woman who not only slept with her husband but lied about it when she was asked.  Here is where the show did some retconning.  Remember earlier in the show's run where Alicia jokingly asks Kalinda if she also slept with her husband and Kalinda said, no?  So when Alicia finds out that she did in fact sleep with Peter and lied about it regardless of the reason, that for JM was supposedly reasoning for the cooling of their friendship.

It makes total sense to me that Alicia would no longer want to be Kalinda's friend. But it makes NO sense to me that they haven't shared a scene in months. Not even a work-related, everybody in the conference room together type of scene. LG and FA cross paths in court and out of it constantly, Kalinda is sleeping with Alicia's partner and Girl Friday to Alicia's potential partner, and they both lost a mutual loved one. And yet we never see Kalinda and Alicia in the same room together? That's what seems so off in my eyes.

After all, Alicia hasn't forgiven Peter, but JM shares plenty of scenes with CN. Heck, she shared lots of scenes with JC when Alicia and Will were feuding. They don't have to be besties to have an occasional conversation!

• Love 4

From TV Line:  Good Wife, Bad Time Slot: CBS Tweaks Alert System for Sunday Delays

New for the coming TV Season, the “CBS Eye-lert” system is inviting TV-philes to download the CBS App for iOS, to set up mobile push notifications about Sunday delays. Also at the CBS Eye-lert website, you can click to follow the network’s Facebook and/or Twitter feeds, which also report on start time delays.

CBS will continue to “aggressively” provide updates via on-air graphics as well as a ticker on the CBS.com homepage. (Text and email alerts, however, have been dropped from the CBS Eye-lert system.)

Not sure if this should go here, but CBS is now running the show on weekend nights after your late night local news.  So I watched the pilot last night.  I hadn't seen it since it aired.  Things have certainly changed a whole lot since then...

Second episode tonight (but I had guests so wasn't paying full attention).  This makes me much happier than the reruns of Criminal Minds, since I can't stand watching that show.

From TV Line:

The Good Wife, already a veritable Justice League of impressive women, is welcoming one more in its sixth season.

Renowned journalist and feminist Gloria Steinem has been tapped to appear as herself in an upcoming episode, star Julianna Margulies announced Wednesday on Live With Kelly and Michael. Though no further details about Steinem’s cameo are available, Margulies admitted to getting a little too starstruck while filming.

“I made a fool of myself and then had to email her and had to apologize,” she revealed.
  • Love 1

And here's another appreciation from Emily Nussbaum in The New Yorker.

Recently, I had lunch with an entirely charming TV maker, who was educated and intelligent about many forms of television but had never watched “The Good Wife,” because, he admitted with a shrug, he perceived it as being “for women.” Although he was a fantastic lunch companion, he’s dead now.

The New Yorker has long appreciated the show, here's an article from May of this year by Joshua Rothman.

Wow... I'm surprised, but not really. Surprised because people don't often voluntarily leave career-making roles, but not surprised because the writing for Kalinda just isn't there, and hasn't been for awhile. It's nice seeing AP get a chance to parlay her supporting actress accolades into leading actress offers.

• Love 4

Not surprised, have been expecting it since JM decided they couldn't even share a handful of scenes of three seasons due to Kalinda's betrayal, but disappointed just the same. They could have Bishop ice her or have her husband's disappearance/murder came back to bite her. 

• Love 2

She has barely been a supporting character for years. It seems like the writers didn't know what to do with her once her connection to Alicia was broken.

Good for her.

PS - I never knew whether to believe the "behind the scenes" stuff about the actresses and their lack of screen time, but after reading that article, it seems logical.  Funny thing is there are stories of actors that did not get along, yet they were able to continue to work together and share screen time. God, some even needed to be romantic.

Again, good for her.

I really like her character early on in the series.

Edited by SaabStory
  • Love 3