Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E10: Makeover Week

The contestants get makeovers from Tim Gunn and Ken Paves, and then they reunite with loved ones to show them their new looks

And the contestants will all act surprised that their loved ones are there to see them post makeover - because they've never done that before.

• Love 4

Don't forget they will need to remind the rest of us about how far they come, hard the struggle was, and how they have become a better person (or is that for the episode before the final one.) 

Maybe I will get lucky and fall asleep within a few minutes of the episode starting. Dr.HQuackDeath could cure insomnia by having people watch the show.

Tim Gunn just annoys the shit out of me. Is he supposed to be another reality TV junior psychiatrist?

Men are always at a disadvantage when it comes to makeovers, but Colby did look really good.

And more fat people tears. Oy!

Edited by SmithW6079

Stephen! Wow- he is really handsome! His wife would be really pretty too, but she has a huge double chin still. Colby's story was really sad. That got me. Trying to mop up the puddle of blood on the floor after his father shot himself. Tragic.

Edited by Momof2boyz
  • Love 4

Just when I thought they could not get any more tacky, they ask poor Colby about the day his father committed suicide. Did we need to know the details of Colby going in the room and trying to clean the blood so his poor mom and younger brother would not have to. Stop playing armchair psychologist Bob.

What was with Felicia's dress. Imo, she look trampy with her girls almost coming out for the world to see. I thought the comment Ken made about her "working" the red carpet was interesting. Erin's hair and lipstick. UGH!!! The gothic look does not look good on her. The men look a lot better after their makeover than the women did. And why did they vote to keep Felicia. Her eye rolling when Lauren was talking about why she should stay made me stabby. If she makes the top three, I will be throwing something at my television. Only two more weeks of this crappy season.

I loved the color of Erin's hair, but not the bizarro way they had it pinned so it looked like she just walked out of a wind tunnel.  Why are we doing that on purpose?

Other than that, I thought it was interesting that the family participated in the last chance challenge, although you knew right from the get-go that the teams with the kids weren't going to have a chance.

• Love 3

They don't really have a lot to do with the men, so if they have beards, they usually shave them.  I was looking forward to Colby's horrible beard being shaved off, but I understand the reasoning behind leaving it. I do wish they had trimmed it a bit more.  And Roberto (is that the twin that is left?  Not even sure) - I am surprised they left his beard.  His suit was way too small!  Oh my God - the bottom button was popping off and his stomach was sticking out!  Why didn't they get him a larger jacket!  I was glad they shopped at a nice store at least. Last year it was Kohl's.

• Love 2

I feel they always cram them into too tight of clothes. I know they are proud of their weight loss, but these women are not best served with sleeveless dresses with short skirts and sky high shoes they don't look comfortable in. And the men are typically bursting out of their jackets.

I appreciated that Paves didn't bleach every woman platinum, as he normally does. Jackie's color was gorgeous and I didn't mind Erin's. Lauren's bleached out hair clashed with her ruddy skin, and I will never understand Felicia's look of six months of outgrowth.

Felicia's dress was decent other than the fear of nipple slip, poor Lauren's wasn't flattering, and while Jackie's dress could be called matronly, it was flattering and she looked the most at ease.

I am breathlessly awaiting for Felicia's bitch eyes to roll right out of her head.

• Love 1

I'm probably in the minority, but I have really enjoyed watching this season, and particularly this episode. Tim Gunn seems genuine and I think for the first time that Ken Paves came up with some flattering haircuts and colors. In general, I like Bob and Dolvett and Jen, although I do agree that Bob might want to cut back on the drawing out of stories like poor Colby's. That was horrifying and needs an actual psychologist to help Colby cope with the memory, I think.

Felicia did seem to overdo the eye rolling this episode, but I often wonder if viewers are being deliberately manipulated by the producers and editors to include scenes like that for pure dramatic effect. How typical could that behavior be, really, if the rest of the contestants are still speaking to her? Personally I can't imagine what viewers that sort of negative drama appeals to, but maybe the producers think it helps ratings to always have a villain. Now that Richard's gone, the next candidate for that role is evidently Felicia.

Liking the season, liking the trainers, liking the contestants. I'd feel comfortable if any of them won this year.

• Love 2

Bob is superannoying--oh.my.gawwwwd. at so many of the makeover results? Even teenaged girls have stopped saying that.

What made it even more annoying to me is that the transformations weren't all that startling.  I saw such little difference between their before and after bodies, except for Stephen.

• Love 1

Bob is superannoying--oh.my.gawwwwd. at so many of the makeover results? Even teenaged girls have stopped saying that.

This reminded me of our prom dress shopping last weekend.  Every dress my daughter tried on, the salesperson was like *gasp*”Do you LOVE it??”.  Uh.  No, we do not.  It only took a couple of times to be completely disingenuous and obnoxious.  We didn’t buy a dress from her.

I think their bodies looked completely different than when they first started, but I agree that I didn’t love all the dresses.  I thought Felecia’s dress made her look really skinny.  Didn’t love the boobs popping out, but it was very slimming.  I think it was a combo of spanx and the material of the dress really holding her in.  I LOVED Lauren’s dress.  I personally love that silhouette.

Horribly long, drawn out episode, and we only got one person voted out.

Going with "I'm good enough to be a finalist" isn't necessarily the best tact to use to get people to vote someone else out.  Because the people voting all believe they are finalists as well.

The person most in need of a makeover this week was Jen.  Wow, those were some bad clothes she wore, especially to the weigh in.

I understand why Colby wanted to keep his beard, I'm glad he trimmed it at least somewhat because otherwise it wasn't working for him.

• Love 3

I noticed that people voted based on their original teams.  Even though, I don't like Felicia, I would have also voted for Lauren.  Felicia has less weight to lose so Lauren is the bigger threat.

I liked Erin's new hair color but didn't like how it was styled.  It just looked messy.  Jacky's hair color was nice.  Felicia's dress was too tight and we didn't need to see her boobs popping out so much.  I didn't like her hair color either because it did look like she needed to retouch her roots.  I like certain ombres but not if it makes it look like you need to make an appointment at the salon.  I can't decide if I like Lauren's makeover or not.  What I liked is that all the contestants were happy and a lot more confident than when they first joined the show.

Stephen looked nice.  Glad they trimmed Colby's beard because it was looking scraggly.  Roberto's jacket was too small.  Colby's story was really sad.  I can't imagine anybody having to clean up their parent's blood after a suicide.  I agree that this should have been handled by a professional and not Bob/TV.

• Love 1

The line that made me laugh was when Bob hilariously had to remind himself to keep his "eyes up here" when looking at Felicia's dress. As if.

Speaking as a gay man, I find breasts fascinating, and if a woman's showing 'em off, I look. I don't watch "Modern Family," but I believe there's an episode where the gay son reconnects with an long-time female friend who recently got breast implants. She asks if he likes them, and he replies, "I'm gay, not dead." So, yes, Bob could certainly be looking at Felicia's chest. Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3

Speaking as a gay man, I find breasts fascinating, and if a woman's showing 'em off, I look. I don't watch "Modern Family," but I believe there's an episode where the gay son reconnects with an long-time female friend who recently go breast implants. She asks if he likes them, and he replies, "I'm gay, not dead." So, yes, Bob could certainly be looking at Felicia's chest.

Point well taken. I must say, as a straight woman, I also found myself fascinated by her jiggling cleavage, so I shouldn't have spoken so soon. I just chuckled to myself at the idea that maybe Bob was implying that she was so sexy and he couldn't look away.

• Love 2

The line that made me laugh was when Bob hilariously had to remind himself to keep his "eyes up here" when looking at Felicia's dress. As if.

I live in one of the gayest neighborhoods in Chicago, and who knew, gay men are kind of obsessed by boobs. (SmithW6079, do I know you?!)  I'm in the process of losing a lot of weight, and when we go out to lunch or if I'm wearing new clothes, there's inevitably a discussion of the girls. Not initiated by me. Sometimes I *wish* my friends had Bob's "eyes up here" policy!

I liked Felicia's dress and figure, I thought she looked lush. Maybe zaftig is a better word. But I liked that look.

With the makeover, for the first time, I could see that Colby will be attractive. I like him, I'm drawn to accents, and he seems to have his head together, but I never thought of him as a possible cutie. Now I do.

I don't know why they always put the contestants in too-tight clothing. Nearly every single one of them could have benefited by going one size up.

I don't remember her name, but I liked the dress with the sheer cape-y thing over it.

I'm not in love with this season, but I'm not hating it, either. It's a group of mostly nice people. Felicia and the twins have had their unlikeable moments, but compared to past seasons' jerks, they barely register on the assholometer.

But what I think the show has been lacking is a BEAST -- someone who comes in drastically overweight and just transforms into someone unrecognizable. I of course think of Tara Costa as the gold standard, but there have been others where they show up fat and weak and whiny, and by the end of the season, you're just like, WHAT HAPPENED? I'd love to see more "beasts."

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 3

I don't know why they always put the contestants in too-tight clothing. Nearly every single one of them could have benefited by going one size up.

Presumably they do that to allow for more weight loss. It'll act as an incentive for anyone who's noticed that they have no chance of winning left, and those that do will need the smaller size.

Lordt, I've never felt the need to FF thru TBL until this season. Without calling folks out, I will say generally, most of those dresses were either too tight, not flattering or in one case, matronly looking. The men usually fair better but what's with the smedium jackets?

ETA:. I wonder what the ideal weight is for Colby and The other twin?. Either they both still have huge body fat% or should be less than 200 pounds at their ideal weights.

Edited by Noirprncess

Either they both still have huge body fat% or should be less than 200 pounds at their ideal weights.

Without knowing exactly how tall they are, I'd think they'd be looking to be in the 180ish range.  Don't winners usually lost about 50% of their body weight? I don't remember offhand where any of them started, but obviously for some of them, that's just not possible (or safe) so they don't really have a chance of winning anyway.

• Love 2

Noirprincess- the BMI chart generally says that most men should be a lot lighter than we think we should be. Since both Colby and Roberto look to be under 6' tall, they don't stop being "overweight" until they get somewhere below 180. (Someone who is 5'11", is "supposed" to weigh between 133 and 179 pounds.)

The charts, however, don't take into account muscles and body frame. Colby  and Roberto both look and perform like they have significant muscles underneath it all so, if they weren't on a game show with a huge prize, they should end up weighing more than the BMI chart would suggest. (For example, I'm 6'1" and after losing 60 pounds to get down to 205, I was still "overweight" by the charts. Thankfully, my doctor disagreed.)

Edited by rab01
  • Love 1

As a person who carries a lot of muscle for a woman, I'm always considered overweight if I go strictly by BMI. It's the main reason why I never ever consider that number. I think body fat is a better indication honestly.

But, Colby and Other twin weigh basically the same amount. Yet both look to be a long ways away from a healthy weight.

Stephen's wife is the one that's mathematically out of the game at this point. Unless she starts putting up some huge weight loss numbers, and I mean like 15-20 pounds a week (not healthy), she can't or won't win. She has easily 100 pounds to go, if she was gunning for a win. I didn't realize she was so far out/off, so I suspect if she doesn't have a decent well every week till the end, she will get voted off soon. Although, if you are smart, you would keep her and vote out people closer to their goal/ideal weight.

Without knowing exactly how tall they are, I'd think they'd be looking to be in the 180ish range.  Don't winners usually lost about 50% of their body weight? I don't remember offhand where any of them started, but obviously for some of them, that's just not possible (or safe) so they don't really have a chance of winning anyway.

Colby is either 6'0 or 6'1 .

I couldn't find Roberto's height.

Auntjess - thanks for the pointing me to  Wiki.  From the chart, it looks like everyone needs to vote out Roberto because he's the biggest threat in that he's already lost like 98 pounds and still has the most left to lose.  Also, Erin and Felicia have very little chance given their starting BMIs.

I disliked Erin's cut, though I liked the color. Did not like Felicia's ombré Farrah Fawcett 'do!

I am 5'6" & I wore a size 10 at 140 lbs. Erin was 182 at her WI, just sayin'.

I would have voted out Felicia because she won immunity the week before & the challenge this week. Too bad there was not a red line this week.

I didn't understand Lauren's comment about her son- "he's a strong boy, we've done some cross fit together". When? Before the show started I thought you were a couch potato.

• Love 1

Finally got around to watching this.

They all looked good, although I thought Erin's makeup was atrocious, I thought  it looked like a free session from clown school. Felicia looked fantastic, Stephen and Jacky looked good. I hope they get their daughter a trainer when they get home, or encourage her to get involved with some sort of league sport. Colby's mom reminded me of Tangina from Poltergeist, I think it was that she is short and has the same feathery, Southern accented voice. Of course Jen was crying. Perhaps California can rent her out to help alleviate some of the water shortage.

I LOVED that they brought everyone back to the ranch and let them participate. I hope they do that next season too. That running with plates has got to be outstanding for the back and knees, though. I found it interesting how Erin chose to move backwards with hers. It did look like that would have been better for gaining momentum, obviously, it worked for her, if not for Jacky.

I generally do not have any problems with the trainers talking to the contestants in depth regarding their personal insecurities and emotional obstacles, in most cases, I think it is just good common sense that they are passing on, and observations, and not really different than a conversation with a friend. I DO have an issue with the producers (and I think this was absolutely producer-driven) having Bob ask on camera about the day Colby's dad committed suicide. Recently, Big Brother UK televised Angela Bowie's reaction as she was told about her ex-husband David's death. Some decisions are obviously ratings driven and it is beneath contempt to televise things like this. JMO.

I really like Stephen and Jacky, I was happy that they did so well at the weigh in. And how cute that they not only came to the weigh-in both at the same weight (238) but lost almost the same amount! WTF was Jen wearing? A romper? Fire her stylist, if she even has one. Oh look, Jen's crying again. Quelle surprise. Sorry to see that Roberto will be hanging around for another week, that was disappointing.

I am glad the vote turned out the way it did. I really didn't care for Lauren after that "defend your place here" speech after the weigh in. Now she gets to go home to her kids. Felicia got very lucky this week. I don't think she'll make it to the final three simply because she is close to her goal, but i am curious to see how much she loses next week.

Edited by newyawk

Gay men like boobs too, even if they don't want the rest of the package. 

• Love 1

I would have voted out Felicia because she won immunity the week before & the challenge this week. Too bad there was not a red line this week.

I feel like Dolvett called her out for coasting.  He all but said she had blown off the last two weeks.  But of course she could, she knew she was in with the other women.  Interesting that the men aren't Felicia fans.  Other than Stephen, of course, because he votes as Jackie instructs.

I am glad the vote turned out the way it did. I really didn't care for Lauren after that "defend your place here" speech after the weigh in. Now she gets to go home to her kids. Felicia got very lucky this week. I don't think she'll make it to the final three simply because she is close to her goal, but i am curious to see how much she loses next week.

I think Lauren knew she wasn't part of the cool kids clique, and that made her speech a little more aggressive.  It actually gave me the opposite reaction - I dislike Felicia more than ever.  The eye roll and cocky talking head about knowing she had everyone in her pocket, but wasn't 100% sure she could trust them.  Dislike.

Colby's mom reminded me of Tangina from Poltergeist, I think it was that she is short and has the same feathery, Southern accented voice.

I think she could successfully provide voice work to cartoons.

I like that Felicia was spitting mad after Lauren's plea--hr face was bright red and she could hardly get the words out. I don't blame her. I think Lauren knows there was an original alliance among the team Hatch was on and it survives, so she had nothing to lose by acting like she deserved and wanted to be there more.