Type keyword(s) to search

The Fosters in the Media

‘The Fosters’ To End Run With 3-Episode Finale As Freeform Orders Spinoff Series Starring Maia Mitchell & Cierra Ramirez

The news comes as The Fosters recently wrapped production on its fifth season, culminating with the show’s two-hour 100th episode, which will serve as a Season 5 finale, setting up the three-part limited series summer event. The ten-episode Season 5B debuts  Jan. 9.

In the yet-untitled spinoff series, currently in early stages of development, Callie and Mariana move out and move to a new city, Los Angeles. While living together, they take two very different paths and explore the different sides of the city — Mariana will be involved in the tech world, possibly in Silicon Beach, while Callie will continue the kind of social work she’s done.

I guess they are tired of showing family stuff and want to turn it into young women living the way teenage girls fantasize life will be like in five years?  I wonder how exactly it came about and if the other actors feel pushed out.

If a time jump means they can show a more mature Callie and Marianna, I may be interested in the spin off.  But it will seem weird if they never mention the rest of the family when they are only going to be a couple hours drive from them.

12 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I guess they are tired of showing family stuff and want to turn it into young women living the way teenage girls fantasize life will be like in five years?  I wonder how exactly it came about and if the other actors feel pushed out.

If a time jump means they can show a more mature Callie and Marianna, I may be interested in the spin off.  But it will seem weird if they never mention the rest of the family when they are only going to be a couple hours drive from them.

Well, from this article, it sounds like they want the family to make guest appearances, so they won't be completely off the show. But it also says there that they're in talks for one more family member to join Callie and Mariana in LA. My first assumption is Brandon. However, my first fear is that it's Jude. That would make my three least favourite characters getting to be in the spinoff. 

I don't know; unless the show ends with Callie finally getting herself together and spinoff follows a much more mature and stable Callie, and if Mariana is humbled in the spinoff (because her attitude throughout this series has pissed me off), then I might have to bow out of watching the spinoff. I'm not here to see another five seasons of Poor Callie making poor life choices, and seeing Mariana judge everyone around her and making self centered decisions. We already got five seasons of it here; why see a repeat of this in the spinoff? 

• Love 1

Oh, man! Why can't the spinoff be a time jump to all the kids being out of the house and we can follow Steph and Lena going on fabulous couples adventures and meeting other interesting people and just being all around an awesome, telegenic couple? I would totally watch that!

• Love 12
4 hours ago, auntiemel said:

Oh, man! Why can't the spinoff be a time jump to all the kids being out of the house and we can follow Steph and Lena going on fabulous couples adventures and meeting other interesting people and just being all around an awesome, telegenic couple? I would totally watch that!

I've always liked the teen shows on WB and ABC Family. I also watched family dramas like Everwood and Once and Again, but on those I was always more interested in the kids than the adults. So for me this is the better spinoff.

7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, from this article, it sounds like they want the family to make guest appearances, so they won't be completely off the show. But it also says there that they're in talks for one more family member to join Callie and Mariana in LA. My first assumption is Brandon. However, my first fear is that it's Jude. That would make my three least favourite characters getting to be in the spinoff.

I don't want it to be Brandon or Jude. But the article doesn't say family member. It says one of the young members of the cast. So it could be someone like Emma (my preference) or one of the kids' other friends or love interests.

7 hours ago, paulvdb said:

I don't want it to be Brandon or Jude. But the article doesn't say family member. It says one of the young members of the cast. So it could be someone like Emma (my preference) or one of the kids' other friends or love interests.

True. I had to reread, and it just said a member of the young ensemble. I mistook that to be one of the main cast.

Oh. Maybe it's AJ. Which....eh, no thanks. I've grown to like AJ but not if he's going to be saddled with more Callie drama. I'd love for it to be Emma, but I'm not so sure they'll bring her aboard, especially if they're going to keep Jesus and Emma together. I assume Jesus will be living at home or still in San Diego with Stef/Lena, and unless they break Emma/Jesus up (which would make sense since she's expressed her doubts about them being long-term), I'm not so sure they'd want Emma around. I just feel possible that the third member is going to be connected to Callie, because the showrunners seem to love her character so much. I just don't get it, myself. 

Also, quick question: did I miss Callie getting into social work? I know she's been doing activism work this season, but when in the world did she pursue a social work path? Not that I'm complaining much because social work is actually a really strong path for Callie to take, but I did a double take when I read that in the article. The show has been on break for three months. Maybe I blocked all of that out. 

Yeah, if it's only Callie and Mariana (or Callie, Mariana and Emma--which sounds like a show, or several shows that freeform already has), I don't see myself watching...especially if Mariana hasn't grown and matured a great deal by then.  Mariana's stem club storyline on the show has been really obnoxious, so continuing that for her to get a job in tech doesn't sound appealing.  I don't see Jesus moving to LA on his own after his TBI, nor do I want to see them continue to fail at depicting the reality of that.  I wouldn't mind seeing Brandon as a main character, he's the one who makes the most sense to be there, and maybe Callie's career as a social worker could be interesting. 

'Jude' isn't a sufficiently talented actor to be a lead, and since he's still a minor, he can't work that much and aging him into a young adult won't work either.  I don't see AJ showing up as a main character in LA either, and it would be unrealistic to portray any of Callie's friends from girls united as transitioning to becoming young professionals in LA.  So, I'm not enthusiastic about this right now.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Aaron, right? If he and Callie stay together, as her boyfriend I can see him living in LA.

But the reason I picked up this show is Stef and Lena, and I guess that's over.

It looked like Aaron and Callie were splitting up in the last episode before the break.  

I'm guessing Brandon would be their pick for the third spot. He can pursue music and performing while the girls are doing tech and social work.  It is a chance to do yet another side of LA or however the worded it. And he's the most teen-heartthrob of the males on the show. I guess Matt could also fit that role if they want to put him and Mariana back together, but having them all single will give them more story line opportunities.

8 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Didn't Callie volunteer at that one place where she first met AJ? I guess that counts as social work.

Wasn't there an episode where someone told her to look into social work instead of art school? Maybe she takes that advice?

http://tvline.com/2018/01/22/the-fosters-spinoff-series-finale-spoilers-maia-mitchell-cierra-ramirez/

It’s true. She [Teri Polo] really unfollowed Maia, Cierra, and two of the producers but not the third right after the announcement on twitter. She still follows Sherri (Lena), David (Brandon), Hayden (Jude) and Noah (Jesus). So it’s clear who she’s upset at. I don’t think the spin off should be anything to be happy about if it upset one of our moms, you know?

This article makes no mention of a potential third main character, but the comments section provided this interesting tidbit. 

1 hour ago, Glade said:

http://tvline.com/2018/01/22/the-fosters-spinoff-series-finale-spoilers-maia-mitchell-cierra-ramirez/

This article makes no mention of a potential third main character, but the comments section provided this interesting tidbit. 

I read the comments. I agree that it isn't believable Maia and Cierra just found out about all this, but if Freeform approached them with the idea they certainly have a right to accept a new job.  Not surprised that the rest of the cast would be upset about losing their jobs though. Hope they aren't too upset to do guest appearances.

I find it amusing how much attention some people pay to who actor's follow/unfollow on Twitter. I don't mean any one here, I just mean in general.....I've seen it with other shows too.

On 1/4/2018 at 2:44 AM, paulvdb said:

I've always liked the teen shows on WB and ABC Family. I also watched family dramas like Everwood and Once and Again, but on those I was always more interested in the kids than the adults. So for me this is the better spinoff.

since the spin-off involves marinara, it could mean the cast mate could be Mat, since we saw how they may end up getting back together. 

RE the spinoff: I'm really upset that they're dropping the moms, and now that Jesus has a really good and interesting and important story, that will probably disappear, too. I don't see Jesus loving to LA and living with Callie and Mariana, and if he was the character continuing, they would have said so. That's why I think it's not one of the Foster kids. It could be Poppy, Ximena, Mat, or Aaron. I don't think it's Emma because she really isn't friends with Mariana anymore.

They could bring back Connor-- he moved to LA, didn't he? That would be... payback? But I don't really see how it would connect with Mariana and Callie.

They seem to have dropped Girls United, and everyone Callie knew from there, but I suppose in theory they could bring back one of them, but I doubt it.

I just don't feel excited about this spin-off. And I'm really sad the show is ending. It lost its way a bit but seemed to be getting better again lately, and I'm sad to see them drop the parts I like most when they retool it.

I agree with you about it not being Connor. It would probably be someone who is more connected to Mariana or Callie so the other names you mentioned are more likely. I mentioned Emma in my earlier post because I like her and she is the non-family member with the highest number of episodes (52) according to IMDB. AJ (42) and Mat (38) have the next highest number of episodes. Daphne (28) is fourth and by far the Girls United character with the most episodes. So she is the most likely if they are bringing back one of the Girls United girls.

If they are bringing someone with less episodes it would probably someone who was at least prominent in season 5. You already mentioned Poppy, Ximena and Aaron. Those three are probably the most likely of the characters with a lower number of episodes.

I feel fairly positive now that it's either Ximena or Aaron. I don't think it'll be Mat, though he's on my shorter list of people it could be, but those are the only three that I think will be part of the spinoff. Nobody else would really fit. They don't seem to care much about Brandon/Callie anymore (which, for the record, is a really good thing for me), so his chances of being a regular are slimmer. Plus, the fact that they specifically mentioned a member of the younger cast, not another member of the family. And I am not thinking that it'll be any of the Girls United, since now they have their Callie/Ximena friendship. 

I also feel disappointed that the spinoff is centered around my two least favourite characters on the show. Ok, so Callie's gotten marginally better this season for me, but Mariana is a character I've grown to loathe more as the show has gone on. I don't think I can tolerate even an early twenties Mariana unless she has completely grown up. 

I'd rather the spinoff was about Stef, Lena, and Jesus, with appearances from Brandon and Grace (yes, I still have hope they won't kill Grace off). Sadly, even with the show finally getting back on track, they're ending it when I'm most invested in the family (besides Jude and Mariana's stuff), and they're time jumping so who knows what they'll have happen to the girls in LA. 

Since I am already tired of this show and I can't stand either character - plus I can't stand Maia Mitchell - I won't even bother to check it out.

Note: Spinoffs rarely work, especially drama shows. I don't expect this to be an exception. Maybe they will last one season.

I had to look up WTF Bailee Madison was, but yeah, she used to play Callie's younger sister, who it feels like has been off the show for years, maybe she'll get a cameo in the series finale though?

57 minutes ago, Glade said:

I had to look up WTF Bailee Madison was, but yeah, she used to play Callie's younger sister, who it feels like has been off the show for years, maybe she'll get a cameo in the series finale though?

She was on the show last season in the 4A finale getting accosted in a bathroom by a guy whose house Callie broke into. Granted, that aired well over a year ago,

• Love 2

Oh God, everything about that sounds nauseating. I'm really disappointed. They're going to focus the whole thing on Brandon's wedding and Callie's feelings of distress to see him, as her first love, getting married? It's like they saved up all the things I was least interested in and most averse to, and dialed it all up to 1000. Gross.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Oh God, everything about that sounds nauseating. I'm really disappointed. They're going to focus the whole thing on Brandon's wedding and Callie's feelings of distress to see him, as her first love, getting married? It's like they saved up all the things I was least interested in and most averse to, and dialed it all up to 1000. Gross.

Brallie...barf. I think I'll skip the live viewing, see how much Brallie there is/if they end up together, and watch all three at my leisure.

• Love 1

No, as the interview above states, Callie/Brandon will be a small part of the 3-ep finale, with conclusions about all the other characters/relationships having equal time, and a whole lot of stuff that they didn't put in that trailer.  It doesn't sound or look 'nauseating' to me. 

Edited by Glade
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I usually wouldn't pay any attention to anything Perez Hilton says, but someone pointed my attention to this item which claims that there MIGHT be a spin off for Stef and Lena. And if that's true? I'd be really happy about it:

http://perezhilton.com/2018-03-12-the-fosters-lena-stef-spin-off-exclusive

If this is true, I'd watch this over the Callie/Mariana spinoff in a heartbeat. What I could see happening is another network, maybe Netflix, picking it up instead of Freeform, since Freeform seems to be going more toward shows completely based around young adults. 

• Love 2
(edited)

That's so generic; there are at least a dozen shows on the air right now with 'good' in the title.  Why not 'fostering change' or something that actually refers to the parent show?  And I guess there's officially no third character, just M/C and a bunch of cameos.  I hope that Stef/Lena spinoff happens.

Edited by Glade

This blurb reminds me of the spinoff originated with Party of Five. I don't even remember the name of the show. It was with Jennifer Love-Hewitt and it didn't survive. I predict this will not survive either.

6 hours ago, alexvillage said:

This blurb reminds me of the spinoff originated with Party of Five. I don't even remember the name of the show. It was with Jennifer Love-Hewitt and it didn't survive. I predict this will not survive either.

It was called Time of Your Life.

• Love 1
On 24-5-2018 at 4:37 AM, Glade said:

And I guess there's officially no third character, just M/C and a bunch of cameos.

The lack of mention of the third character could mean that it's just M+C, but maybe they're waiting until after this week's final episodes. It's possible that the announcement of the third character would spoil something that happens in those episodes. Or maybe they're just spacing out various announcements to keep the spin-off in the news and in people's minds.

Info about who will/won't be in the spin-off:

http://tvline.com/2018/06/07/blindspot-season-4-spoilers-walking-dead-season-9/

Do you think there’s a chance another castmate might be joining the girls in The Fosters‘ spinoff? –Eddie

Executive producer Joanna Johnson hopes that the whole family will appear on the spinoff in some capacity. Outside of the Fosters clan, Beau Mirchoff will return as Eliza’s older brother Jamie, who hit it off with Callie — but troubled little bro Carter probably won’t. “We have a huge new cast, and we’ve got a lot of stories that we want to tell,” Johnson explains.
  • Love 1

Freeform Starts Some "Good Trouble" as Production Begins

Joining Maia Mitchell and Cierra Ramirez as series regulars are fellow neighbors at The Coterie apartment complex: Tommy Martinez ("Riverdale") who will portray Gael, a socially conscious and politically active graphic designer; newcomer Zuri Adele who will portray Malika, a whip-smart former foster kid with a pension for social justice; and Sherry Cola ("I Love Dick") who will portray Alice, a first-generation Asian American who manages the apartment complex. Roger Bart ("A Series of Unfortunate Events") will portray conservative Judge Wilson for whom Callie is clerking.

Rounding out the cast are Emma Hunton ("Happy Endings"), who will portray Davia, a no holds barred teacher who also lives at The Coterie, and Ken Kirby ("The Gay and Wondrous Life of Caleb Gallo"), who will portray Benjamin, a conservative fellow clerk who works with Callie.

‘Good Trouble’: Molly McCook & Josh Pence Set To Recur In ‘Fosters’ Spinoff

McCook will play Rebecca, a fellow law clerk with Callie, whose grandfather is a Republican U.S. Senator and comes from a political dynasty of sorts. She is friendly enough, but hyper driven to be perfect in order to live up to her family’s expectations.

Pence will portray Dennis, the oldest tenant at The Coterie, with a mild case of arrested development, and an aspiring musician.

I don't know where to ask this question so I am posting it here.

I watch the show when it comes up on Netflix, so I am watching the second half of the last season now. I am somewhat spoiled and I know about the spinoff.

Since I can't stand Callie and like Mariana just enough to watch this show but not enough to start watching another one, the spinoff will not make it to my list. But I was wondering: does Freeform have  target audience of teenagers and the ones past the teenage years? I found Callie to be one of the most uninteresting characters in the show - together with Jude who died to me a long time ago - so I am thinking that the spinoff is to keep their main audience tuning in. I would prefer something focused on Lena and Stef, without all the drama that Callie created. 

On a different commentary, awesome that they at least mentioned ableism but could have spent more time on it. Most people don't grasp the meaning of it with only a short explanation. Still better than any other show that never mentions anything so I guess improvement?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

But I was wondering: does Freeform have  target audience of teenagers and the ones past the teenage years?

I would say that women in their teens and 20s are their main target audience.

As much as I like Stef and Lena, I can't really imagine a spinoff centered around two married adults in their 40s on Freeform. Maybe if they surrounded them with a new generation of teens, but then Stef and Lena would probably quickly end up taking a back seat to the same teen drama.

• Love 1