Type keyword(s) to search

The Fosters in the Media

The fact that they recast for Lena's father makes me wonder if they might re-cast for Jesus, also. If he goes away for boarding school, he could come back as a different actor. Jake said he was leaving the show, but no one has said the character is finished.

Watching the show on Netflix right now! On season 2, desperately trying to catch up before the next season starts. Wish me luck! Thank God Netflix is all caught up. 

You can do it @tennisgurl! I binge-watched all weekend on 2b and got it done. I'd been waiting for Netflix to get those final episodes up for what seemed like forever!

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't think of a show I've ever watched that has recast a main character. I vaguely recall hearing that Bewitched recast the husband back in the day, but I never watched that. I can think of a few shows I've seen where peripheral characters that aren't seen that often were recast, like Bobby on Mad Men (and they also had the advantage there that little kids do grow and change quickly from year to year, so it didn't stand out as much). I watched Roswell back in the day and I think I remember noticing one of the dads was recast between the pilot and a later season, but wasn't on screen much. 

But I can't think of any show I've been watching where a main character who's in every episode was recast. I'm not sure I'll be able to take it seriously, if its just clearly a different person that they're all calling Jesus. They have enough characters, why not just leave him at boarding school?

Edited by LeGrandElephant

I didn't watch Roseanne when it originally aired, but I binged it in repeats (multiple episodes a day every day of the week til I got through the entire series); they recast one of the daughters, who had as prominent a role as Jesus. I got used to it pretty quickly. I think it might even be easier than with a peripheral character, because the actor gets familiar through lots of contextual exposure that reminds you who they are, where with an occasional player there are fewer anchors to remind you. Hopefully, the new actor will be really good at what he does, and the stories they give him will be compelling enough that the transition is worth it.

• Love 2

Neither was Jake T Austin. ABC Family have often picked up ex Disney stars so its nothing new. I think it is theoretically preferable than for Jesus to just never come back from boarding school ala so many 90s characters. Recasting gives them something established to work with rather than "hey we just found this homeless teen who needs a home who is suspiciously similar to a character who just departed.

I've seen several regular recastings, although it seems to have happened more when I was younger or watching sitcom reruns. IIRC Fresh Prince recast regulars a couple of times and recurring/guests get replaced all the time even now. I think they probably felt they could get away with it for a secondary regular here.

Do we know why the first actor left? I remember a lot of people here saying he was a terrible actor, but if they're just replacing him with some other random Disney actor who looks similar, then that probably wasn't the reason they got rid of him.

Do we know why the first actor left? I remember a lot of people here saying he was a terrible actor, but if they're just replacing him with some other random Disney actor who looks similar, then that probably wasn't the reason they got rid of him.

DUI probation/DUI general rumors of the actor being a dick

A major bonus of Jake being gone is that the perpetual Jesus/girlfriend story lines are non-existent for the moment. Hopefully, they will find a better use for the character when he returns.

• Love 1

A major bonus of Jake being gone is that the perpetual Jesus/girlfriend story lines are non-existent for the moment. Hopefully, they will find a better use for the character when he returns.

And this is what disappointed me the most. Jesus had such good storylines that could have built and no girlfriends would have had to be involved. He could have had storylines with Mariana, with Ana, with his ADHD, his schoolwork, even more focus on the wrestling storyline. Anything but what they got. So as much fault as it is with Jake's acting, the writing and direction that they chose for Jesus is just as much of a problem. 

• Love 4

I know that Roseanne recast the daughter, which was weird because the original came back and then left again but they always kinda joked about it. That 70's Show recast Eric's sister, and The Fresh Prince recast the mom. I understand recasting a main character because in the fresh prince's case, the mom was an important character that you can't just get rid of completely. Getting rid of the mom would change the show's dynamic. But Jesus doesn't bring anything to the show. I don't care for him or his girlfriend drama. Even if they get an emmy award winning actor to play him, his storylines still suck.

Even if they get an emmy award winning actor to play him, his storylines still suck.

But if they got someone with more acting chops, perhaps they could write better story lines for the character.  I didn't get the impression that Jake T was more than a pretty face.

I know that Roseanne recast the daughter, which was weird because the original came back and then left again but they always kinda joked about it. That 70's Show recast Eric's sister, and The Fresh Prince recast the mom.

Aren't those all sit-coms? Can we think of any dramas that did that?

Well, soap operas do it all the time.  Or they used to, anyway - now I think anyone that has a job on the few remaining soaps are probably hanging on by their fingernails to keep the jobs they have.

I will date myself terribly by referencing Lucky on General Hospital, but that's the one that was most egregious to me - I was not a fan of NewLucky and in hindsight, that probably contributed to my disinclination to watch the show.  (That and graduating from high school, anyway.)

(edited)

Sometimes shows recast a role after the pilot has been filmed. Sometimes they reshoot the scenes from the pilot with the new actor, but there are also shows that air the pilot with the original actor and we see a different actor in the second episode. To connect this to The Fosters, a recent example is Baylee Madison who played the daughter on Trophy Wife after a different actress played the role in the pilot.

Edited by paulvdb

^^^^ The un-aired pilot recast is pretty common actually, either because the actor doesn't test well or ends up not being available for the show after pickup.  But aired characters of any prominence is not as common.

One example that was sort of a hybrid case was the character of Naomi on Private Practice.   Merrin Dungey played in the Grey's Anatomy backdoor pilots (technically it was two episodes), but then Audra McDonald played the role when the show aired in the fall. 

I cannot think of another prime-time drama that has recast series regular off hand, and certainly not this late.  But I can't say I mind.  Despite the number of episodes Jesus appeared in to date, I cannot say I am especially attached to him.

In the TCA's tonight(Television Critics Association) The Fosters won for Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming.   They won last year too.

And I've never seen this small Fosters panel before with Brad, Teri,Sherri and Kerr.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

The producers talk about the finale-- and also give spoilers for what comes next:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fosters-producers-callie-brandons-journey-816113

Contrary to the headline, the interview is not mostly about the Brandon/Callie relationship. What they say is coming up next is nothing I had even on my radar, either. Don't read it if you want to avoid spoilers.

Brief reaction to the finale (focuses mostly on Stef-Lena and a little on Jude/Connor). Their analysis of Jude vs Brandon will outrage some viewers.

http://www.autostraddle.com/boobs-on-your-tube-chasing-life-is-the-bisexual-representation-youve-been-looking-for-303609/

The two articles have opposite views on who Brandon is, which I thought was interesting.

Edited by possibilities

Well the autrostraddle folks are no different than the many comments of "it's all Brandon's fault" because Callie is so broken and damaged and such a victim so every bad decision she makes and they make together falls on him. Because he has no problems and issues himself and should always be the one to say no and make the right choice. So really, nothing new.

And seems to me Brandon did do the equivalent of Jude's supporting Connor leaving when he told Callie this is what she needed or whatever the line was, when they were looking out at the family and when he sat in the courtroom and said nothing about what they did and allowed her to be adopted. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

The producers give a spirited defense of Brandon, so I think all bases are covered in the controversy.

Finally got a chance to watch the panel Valny posted -- I liked it, mostly. I think this show causes everyone's emotions to run high, on set and off.

I wonder if the bomb that the Hollywood Reporter mentions is that Stef does have breast cancer. That would account for her mother coming to visit - and sticking around.

Complete speculation based on Hollywood Reporter article linked above.

Edited by LisaM

http://www.seventeen.com/celebrity/news/a33787/bailee-madison-and-fans-fight-back-against-labels-in-this-inspiring-video/

I didn't know where to put this, since we don't have threads for the actors, but I thought this would interest fans of the show.

Bailee Madison (who plays Sophia on the show) got called a "prude" recently, and wrote an impassioned letter to her fans, fighting back against name-calling. This article is about that (her original post is worth seeing, as well: http://xobaileemadison.tumblr.com/post/127739186653/label-something-you-put-on-clothes-not-on); I'm not sure how old she is, but she seems to totally get what it is to be a kid in high school, and I like how she got her fans to make videos for her, of them rejecting being insulted by labels, too.

• Love 2

I do appreciate that whatever ridiculous storyline happens on this show no matter how soapy or dumb...I love and really appreciate that on the show and in all media stuffs, that Sherri Saum and Teri Polo never ever give interviews or ever seem in photos for the show, and at media events - that they are ever uncomfortable with each other, need to pretend they are straight or anything dumb.

After growing up during the late 80's/90's and watching every single homosexual-character playing actor ever take great pains to assure their 'fans'/'audience' know they weren't gay or at all interested at all ever....if nothing else (which it is) this show is a lot different....and worth being acknowledged.

That said....More mum storylines!!!!! (sans cheating...it's just been done)

• Love 1