Type keyword(s) to search

The Fosters in the Media

(edited)

Here's an interview with Sherri Saum. She talks about her relationship with Teri Polo, Lena's relationship with Stef, Lena's relationship with Jude, and the network's relationship to Lena-Stef bedroom scenes: http://www.shewired.com/television/2014/05/16/10-minutes-fosters-sherri-saum-lena-and-jude-teri-polo-and-sexy-scenes

Also this small bit from Teri Polo, which illustrates how important this show is, culturally speaking: http://www.usatoday.com/story/experience/weekend/entertainment/2014/05/08/vip-teri-polo-finds-utter-normalcy-in-new-mother-role/8865827/

Edited by possibilities

It cracks me up that the previews show all these big dramatic stuff for all the characters and Mariana's thing is...she's gone blonde.

Aw, I haven't seen any of the previews! I only watch ABCF in the summer and none of the shows I watch (ok, only The Fosters at this point) have started again yet.  I might have to seek that out. :)

I have to say, as much as I love more "serious" shows (I'm looking at you Mad Men), I appreciate a show that picks up where it left off and I'm not left wondering what was missed in the interim.  Maybe because it's a summer show? In any event, I'm looking forward to the premiere!

Didn't even realize the show was coming back today until I saw the ad for ABCFamily's marathon today and I know they only do that when the new season is starting. I don't know, I think the show has a lot of positives but I think the finale really turned me off and I was one of those defending the writing for much of the season. Also, the few spoilers I've read is also not making me too excited or interested. I think I'll just skip the season premiere and follow comments online and stuff for the first few episodes to decide if I'll get back into watching regularly.

The fact that even you, truthaboutluv, are considering not even watching this season is very disheartening!

I thought the show diminished very significantly in quality in 1B, but I took to enjoying hate watching so I'm actually pretty excited for tonight.

(edited)
I thought the show diminished very significantly in quality in 1B, but I took to enjoying hate watching so I'm actually pretty excited for tonight.

Well I get my fill of hate-watching television from The Vampire Diaries, so I don't need another show for those purposes. 

I think once the season was done and I looked back on everything, I realized how many things bothered me but more importantly, reading the spoilers I realized how much I'm actually not looking forward to and it just kind of feels like what's the point?

The following are not spoilers but just more stuff I assume will happen and general observations. I already ranted PLENTY once the season finale aired about the Dani/Brandon hook-up nonsense and once she found Mike all bloodied I assumed her character would be back and I have no time for that. Other character I wish would disappear and stop popping up like an annoying rash, Anna and I know she'll likely be around too. I also actually don't care about that baby mess with Timothy because I think not only was it incredibly stupid for Stef and Lena to have a baby so soon after adding TWO children to their household but using a surrogate they know personally and who never signed away his legal rights. 

All those issues aside I find that I actually kind of don't care about a bunch of the characters anymore. I don't think I ever really cared about Marina and Jesus and i foresee that continuing. And this may be the biggest one which makes the show really hard to stick with - I'm kind of over Callie and her drama and her issues. I know this is going to sound almost callous because her issues are such a big part of the importance of a show like this but I don't know it's just one thing after another with her - the rapist/abusive foster brother, now the dad she thought was hers actually isn't, the kids at the high school don't like her and there's always something coming up to make her look like the bad guy, troublemaker, oh and with the dad bombshell, this season will likely deal with her finding out about her real father which will likely be more drama. Oh and I don't care about her and Wyatt together because I don't care about Wyatt either and I certainly don't want more drama of her and Brandon either.  

About the only characters I actually sort of am still interested in is Stef because I just think she's kind of bad-ass, Lena is sweet when she wasn't going crazy baby obsessed, Jude and Brandon. With regards to Brandon, I want the writers to re-set the character and focus on his relationship with Mike, who I also kind of like and him picking up the pieces of all the crap they had him do last season. The Callie shit needs to end period and as I still suspect they're dropping a baby bombshell when the season ends, that's the biggest reason I refuse to watch. I'd rather just not watch than watch and start to get comfortable and then be blindsided with that shit.

Edited by truthaboutluv

I just found an article in this week's TV Guide regarding Brandon and Dani. In a nutshell, they said they were going to compare the societal perceptions of statutory rape for males and females. I was so incredibly relieved to hear that. From reviews and comments about "Adoption Day" I was really surprised at how few seemed to acknowledge the statutory rape Dani committed. The producers/writers also went out of their way to make it more reprehensible too. First of all, Dani started "grooming" Brandon by praising him then giving him money to keep his illegal actions from being discovered. He was in her debt. When they had sex, Brandon was clearly drunk, that was made very clear as well. Now, on the season premiere they had Dani using emotional blackmail on Brandon. I was really afraid this was going to be glossed over but it looks like they have a plan. Can't wait to see how it plays out because while I don't think Brandon will consider what was done, rape…Stef and Lena will.

• Love 2
In a nutshell, they said they were going to compare the societal perceptions of statutory rape for males and females.

This is very very good to hear.  I may not be a fan of this storyline, but I think that's exactly the way to go with it.  

(edited)

Thrilled to hear that too because we all know my feelings on that storyline. I still would have preferred the show not go there seeing as Brandon has enough issues already but I would definitely take that over a horrible baby storyline that I was fearing.

Can't wait to see how it plays out because while I don't think Brandon will consider what was done, rape…Stef and Lena will.

I think that's where the societal perceptions will come to play because I can definitely see Brandon not wanting to acknowledge that what happened to him was rape. There's the male ego factor, societal norms and attitudes that suggest the idea that men are the stronger sex and that a man cannot somehow be a victim of a woman, particularly a sexual victim.

Edited by truthaboutluv

In a nutshell, they said they were going to compare the societal perceptions of statutory rape for males and females.

Oh man, I'm so glad to hear that's the plan. This should help make Dani's entire (annoying, creepy, shady) existence possibly worthwhile. Plus, I've seen a lot of disgusting comments made about male rape victims (to the tune of, "they can't actually be raped"), and the whole experience of reporting it seems to not work in their favor, so this definitely needs to be done. And the fact that this has been so subtle, to the point where we weren't too sure what her angle's been, or if the writers were even thinking about this, just makes it better. It's not always so clear cut.

(edited)

I couldn't find the article last night but here is the exact quote  from producer/writer Joanna Johnson, "There's much more tolerance in society for women having sex with underage boys than there is when it's an older man and a young girl. We are going to explore that double standard."

The other mentions were Mike coming home with blood on his hands as a "mystery" and Callie's imminent meeting with her biological father.

I think that's where the societal perceptions will come to play because I can definitely see Brandon not wanting to acknowledge that what happened to him was rape. There's the male ego factor, societal norms and attitudes that suggest the idea that men are the stronger sex and that a man cannot somehow be a victim of a woman, particularly a sexual victim.

Definitely this. Brandon would need to acknowledge the emotional manipulation to recognize the rape because there is a lack of physical control. Mike's response will be interesting as well. Any more thoughts on this I better take to the speculation thread.

Edited by BelovedMaeve

Or maybe that's just me. 

Nope, not just you. I say write around him too.....we probably won't even notice, seeing as how his storyline consists entirely of having girl problems and occasionally being the comic relief.

Adorably cute kids, I wouldn't expect anything less.

While my sister is visiting me, I got her into the show(she'd never seen it, so we're watching on Netflix. I was pissed that S2 isn't all on my Demand, so unfortunately she can't see S2. So I was thinking of buying the DVDs for Christmas but when I checked I see nothing is even out yet. What the hell?! Does anyone know why the delay? I couldn't even find a tentative release date. Again I say, what the hell?!

So I was thinking of buying the DVDs for Christmas but when I checked I see nothing is even out yet. What the hell?! Does anyone know why the delay? I couldn't even find a tentative release date. Again I say, what the hell?!

I was looking to buy the DVDs, too, and was disappointed to see that they don't exist. I don't know why for sure (probably money) but I feel like it's about the industry's move to digital content over physical DVDs. Personally, I prefer DVDs (with all the extras) so I'm not happy that streaming media is becoming the default rather than just another option. Hopefully they'll release a boxset at some point.

I was looking to buy the DVDs, too, and was disappointed to see that they don't exist. I don't know why for sure (probably money) but I feel like it's about the industry's move to digital content over physical DVDs. Personally, I prefer DVDs (with all the extras) so I'm not happy that streaming media is becoming the default rather than just another option. Hopefully they'll release a boxset at some point.

Thanks omgsowicked.at least I know I'm note the only one disappointed about the lack of DVD availability.These days, they seem to churn out DVDs a lot more quickly then they did years ago, so that's another reason I was so surprised they were not out yet.it might not be a blockbuster show, but less popular shows I'm sure have spit out DVDs faster.  Wonder if it has to do anything with music rights, because they do use a fair amount of background music.

So for now, I guess I will have to find most of season two elsewhere(on demand has only the last three available) If anyone knows somewhere else to look, please enlighten me.

Thanks omgsowicked.at least I know I'm note the only one disappointed about the lack of DVD availability.These days, they seem to churn out DVDs a lot more quickly then they did years ago, so that's another reason I was so surprised they were not out yet.it might not be a blockbuster show, but less popular shows I'm sure have spit out DVDs faster.  Wonder if it has to do anything with music rights, because they do use a fair amount of background music.

So for now, I guess I will have to find most of season two elsewhere(on demand has only the last three available) If anyone knows somewhere else to look, please enlighten me.

Both Cierra Ramirez and EP Brad Bredeweg have tweeted that season 2 will be on Netflix soon- the date is either 9/17 or 9/18. I can't remember which but you could probably find those tweets. So if you don't mind a short wait, that's on the horizon. Beyond that the eps are available on ITunes now.

Both Cierra Ramirez and EP Brad Bredeweg have tweeted that season 2 will be on Netflix soon- the date is either 9/17 or 9/18. I can't remember which but you could probably find those tweets. So if you don't mind a short wait, that's on the horizon. Beyond that the eps are available on ITunes now.

Thanks GildedLily... I figured it was just a matter of time before they get S2 on Netflix, but I just wanted to watch it with my sister and since she lives in another state and is just visiting me for five days, we can't watch together. But she does have Netflix, so she can still watch. But I will just not get to see it through her eyes. 

Interviews over the weekend with Ashley Argota (Lou) and Bailee Madison (Sophia)

-Funny that Ashley outs herself as a Brallie fan even though Lou serves no purpose if the show goes with Brallie. But she seems to have a lot going on so she's probably not looking to be tied down to the show long-term. She did confirm she starts shooting with them end of September but is not in the Christmas ep which started filming last week. 

-Bailee is crazy poised for her age which I guess comes with how long she's been a working actress. I really get the sense that the plan is for Sophia to be a pretty major character. 

Really disgusting. Glad that all of the headlines identified him as the dad from 7th Heaven and not from The Fosters. The show had enough bad publicity with Jake's car/alcohol issues.