Type keyword(s) to search

Disney Films

ulkis
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I normally don't like those Disney "what if" novels, but I highly recommend Serena Valentine's Fairest of All. It gives the Evil Queen a good backstory, and there's even a bit of redemption at the end. If they ever made a film adaptation of it, Jessica Chastain would crush it as the Evil Queen. Yes, I realize Chastain was technically in a Snow White movie already (The Huntsman: Winter's War), but that movie was garbage, barely anyone saw it, and Snow White was hardly in it, if at all, so it doesn't count, IMO.

I LOVE Fairest of Them All! It was a great backstory with the evil queen, and gave Snow some development too! Yes, I agree Jessica Chastain would crush it.

The other Serena Valentino villain novels aren't as good, but her Maleficent was at least better than the Angelina movie.

• Love 2

While I'm on a roll in regards to defending certain Disney characters, can someone just give poor Pinocchio a break? Okay, so he's hopelessly gullible and not very bright... he's a wooden puppet who's been sentient for barely 72 hours, of course he's gullible and not very bright! Hell, I've been alive for 37 years, and I marvel at some of the stupid stuff I'm capable of doing! Frankly, I think Pinocchio grows, changes, and proves his capacity for heroism a lot faster than most fictional characters!

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

While I'm on a roll in regards to defending certain Disney characters, can someone just give poor Pinocchio a break? Okay, so he's hopelessly gullible and not very bright... he's a wooden puppet who's been sentient for barely 72 hours, of course he's gullible and not very bright! Hell, I've been alive for 37 years, and I marvel at some of the stupid stuff I'm capable of doing! Frankly, I think Pinocchio grows, changes, and proves his capacity for heroism a lot faster than most fictional characters!

The Pinocchio in the original fairy tale was a bit more of an asshole, being more yesterday notwithstanding, but I totally agree with you about the Disney one. He was not intentionally mean spirited or selfish, and he does grow and change throughout the movie. 

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

The Pinocchio in the original fairy tale was a bit more of an asshole, being more yesterday notwithstanding, but I totally agree with you about the Disney one. He was not intentionally mean spirited or selfish, and he does grow and change throughout the movie. 

Yeah, Carlo Collodi's Pinoccio is a borderline sociopath (and, in many ways, dumber and more tiresome than Disney's). Sometimes it pays to not be 100% faithful.

Only slightly related: Anyone ever see Roberto Benigni's 2002 film adaptation of Pinocchio? You know, the one where Benigni (who looked every second of his 50 years) played Pinocchio? One word: Yeesh.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Yeah, Carlo Collodi's Pinoccio is a borderline sociopath (and, in many ways, dumber and more tiresome than Disney's). Sometimes it pays to not be 100% faithful.

Only slightly related: Anyone ever see Roberto Benigni's 2002 film adaptation of Pinocchio? You know, the one where Benigni (who looked every second of his 50 years) played Pinocchio? One word: Yeesh.

Yeesh is right.

• Love 2

I recently re-watched Aladdin (you couldn't pay me to watch the remake) and something really struck me: Jasmine is not only a rather under-appreciated Disney princess, but she and Aladdin really are soul mates, the same way Belle and the Beast are.

I know it's easy to dismiss Aladdin and Jasmine's relationship as two pretty people who fall in love at first sight and nothing more, but I disagree. Aladdin is a classic trickster hero, a quick-witted, dynamic adventurer who is not without kindness and compassion. Jasmine, despite her highly sheltered life as a princess, proves herself to be Aladdin's equal immediately by being just as quick-witted and imaginative as he is (first by feigning insanity in the marketplace, then later by pretending to seduce Jafar as a diversion), and later in the 1990s TV series (God, I loved that show!) by aiding him in his adventures.  Jasmine also isn't afraid to stand up to Jafar, even after he becomes he becomes nightmarishly powerful, and she proves time and again to have just as kind a heart as Aladdin.

Jasmine isn't just some attractive vessel of lust: she is really and truly Aladdin's match (the fact that she's a pretty princess is just a bonus).

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 11

@Wiendish Fitch I loved the TV show and sequels too! Aladdin and Jasmine were my first real OTP and they made that even clearer in the TV show. It really developed their relationship, and I loved that they took their time to the altar since they were both still teenagers and kind of had a lot of growing up to do. But no matter how dumb Aladdin could be or how pissy Jasmine could get, they were crazy about each other. That "Eye of the Beholder" episode still gives me chills.

Even if the live action version sucks, maybe the hype will finally get Disney to release the series on DVD! That would be so great...

• Love 6

Jasmine was probably my favorite Disney princess growing up, and she and Aladdin were such an awesome couple! She was smart and tough and sweet and she had a pet tiger! I mean, thats the dream! 

And as much as Disney now gets grief for its "couple gets married after five minutes" plots, Aladdin and Jasmine waited until two movies, and a whole freaking TV series happened to get married, which was great! Get to know each other, fight some supervillains, then deal with the wedding. 

Speaking of, I find the third Aladdin movie to be underrated, especially as Disney direct to DVD sequels go. Its animation quality is certainly down, but its got long lost family drama! A new creepy villain! Another story from Arabian Nights! Aladdin and Jasmine get married! Bookends to the first movie! By the standards of direct to DVD sequels, thats prime content!

• Love 9

And they got Robin Williams to come back. That scored big points as well. I'm pretty sure he snuck in certain lines that weren't scripted: "I thought that the earth wasn't supposed to move til the honeymoon" and "Do not attempt to move or we'll be shooting ourselves." LMAO!

That movie really showed how Al and Jas's relationship had evolved as well. In the past, Jasmine got angry when Aladdin had been keeping secrets/lied about something. But when Cassim is exposed as the King of Thieves, she just gently asked him ifhe knew and when he admits that he did, she doesn't give him any grief over it, she tells him that she understands he wanted to give his father another chance. I loved that.

• Love 6

This is the Robin Williams-as Genie effect: Last night when I got home, I put this movie in bluray player and watched it. Still great and wonderful. And Bittersweet, because Robin is no longer with us.😓 Hearing both versions of "A Whole New World" by Brad Kane and Lea Salonga in the studio the first time and Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle at the end still gives me chills.

So irritated, that Robin, who was never interview-shy, wasn't part of the making of Aladdin in the special features, or included with the cast and crew talking about the movie. HELLO!!!! HE was the MAIN character. HE made this movie. Maybe I'm biased, but I don't care. They only showed him at the end where they were doing quick snaps of all the actors as they read their lines and ended with some of Robin's adlibbing that didn't make it into the movie.

I wish that interview, which I'm thinking I saw on youtube had been included in the bluray. Then again, I think it was made available after his death. Where the producers and writers talked about how there was a script, but when Robin started riffing, they let him go with it. Stupid Leonard Maltin didn't even MENTION Robin. Asshole. 

But, I digress. Love the movie, and maybe I shouldn't have watched it, because now it's all fresh in my mind, so I'm now not inclined to see the live version. Yes, Beauty & The Beast BURNED me. And that was my favorite. But since Aladdin is playing at the Kennedy Center, maybe I'll check that out.

• Love 4

Hell, now I want to go watch it at home tonight!

Regarding the live action version, I said it before and I'll say it again: I KNOW I probably won't like it as much as the cartoon.  But I'm curious and accepting that will be different allow me to view any changes with a zen attitude and an open mind.  Plus, I liked the live action Beauty and the Beast, so sue me.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But since Aladdin is playing at the Kennedy Center, maybe I'll check that out.

The Broadway show or the upcoming movie?  Because you SERIOUSLY need to see the Broadway show, it is awesome!

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Hell, now I want to go watch it at home tonight!

Regarding the live action version, I said it before and I'll say it again: I KNOW I probably won't like it as much as the cartoon.  But I'm curious and accepting that will be different allow me to view any changes with a zen attitude and an open mind.  Plus, I liked the live action Beauty and the Beast, so sue me.

The Broadway show or the upcoming movie?  Because you SERIOUSLY need to see the Broadway show, it is awesome!

Broadway show, of course!

But I gotta do my taxes first before buying tickets!😜

• Love 1

Add me to those wanting to watch Aladdin now thanks to this discussion :D. My god, I couldn't even begin to count how many times I saw that movie as a kid. I'm surprised I didn't wear out the VHS tape. I remember my dad calling from work and when he'd ask what my sister and I were doing, we'd tell him we were watching Aladdin and he'd always joke, "Gee. What a surprise..." :p. 

On 3/27/2019 at 12:32 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I recently re-watched Aladdin (you couldn't pay me to watch the remake) and something really struck me: Jasmine is not only a rather under-appreciated Disney princess, but she and Aladdin really are soul mates, the same way Belle and the Beast are.

I know it's easy to dismiss Aladdin and Jasmine's relationship as two pretty people who fall in love at first sight and nothing more, but I disagree. Aladdin is a classic trickster hero, a quick-witted, dynamic adventurer who is not without kindness and compassion. Jasmine, despite her highly sheltered life as a princess, proves herself to be Aladdin's equal immediately by being just as quick-witted and imaginative as he is (first by feigning insanity in the marketplace, then later by pretending to seduce Jafar as a diversion), and later in the 1990s TV series (God, I loved that show!) by aiding him in his adventures.  Jasmine also isn't afraid to stand up to Jafar, even after he becomes he becomes nightmarishly powerful, and she proves time and again to have just as kind a heart as Aladdin.

Jasmine isn't just some attractive vessel of lust: she is really and truly Aladdin's match (the fact that she's a pretty princess is just a bonus).

I love this post. So perfectly said. Jasmine is cool and I've always loved her. 

And the Genie. Just...you can't go wrong with Robin Williams' Genie. Williams was such a big part of my childhood in general, it seems-Aladdin, Ferngully, the "Mork and Mindy" reruns I loved watching on Nick at Nite...

• Love 6

Robin just gave Genie this real warmth. Dan Castellanetta tried in the Return of Jafar and TV show, but his Genie was more like the regular goofy buddy and lacked that paternal air.

Here are my favorite Robin/Genie moments from King of Thieves:

Note Aladdin's "are you fucking kidding me" face 😂

And because Genie and Jasmine never got enough scenes together, and I'm a sucker for any in-joke:

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Robin just gave Genie this real warmth. Dan Castellanetta tried in the Return of Jafar and TV show, but his Genie was more like the regular goofy buddy and lacked that paternal air.

Here are my favorite Robin/Genie moments from King of Thieves:

And because Genie and Jasmine never got enough scenes together, and I'm a sucker for any in-joke:

How could I have forgotten about Genie-as-Mrs. Doubtfire?😂😂😂😂 So...meta, since that’s who Robin played too!

God, I miss him.

• Love 2

On the subject of the Aladdin movies: I didn't think Return of Jafar was that bad. Not as good as the original or King of Thieves but still better than some of the other shitty video sequels Disney cranked out. It had most of the original cast minus Robin, was a good intro to the TV series, and a decent redemptive arc for Iago without turning it into a "I'm not evil just misunderstood" story we've seen so many times these days. Iago was still the same greedy little loudmouth even as a good guy.

Also it had a pretty hardcore evil plan for Jafar to pose as Jasmine to accuse Aladdin for the Sultan's "murder". The first time I watched the movie as a kid I remember how horrified and angry I was that Jasmine turned on him like that...then when we see the real Jasmine locked up with the others I was all "whew" LOL. It's kind of a shame Jafar couldn't resist revealing himself to Aladdin right before the execution because it would have been WAY more evil to let him die thinking that Jasmine hated him.

• Love 2
On 3/30/2019 at 6:38 PM, Spartan Girl said:

On the subject of the Aladdin movies: I didn't think Return of Jafar was that bad. Not as good as the original or King of Thieves but still better than some of the other shitty video sequels Disney cranked out. It had most of the original cast minus Robin, was a good intro to the TV series, and a decent redemptive arc for Iago without turning it into a "I'm not evil just misunderstood" story we've seen so many times these days. Iago was still the same greedy little loudmouth even as a good guy.

Also it had a pretty hardcore evil plan for Jafar to pose as Jasmine to accuse Aladdin for the Sultan's "murder". The first time I watched the movie as a kid I remember how horrified and angry I was that Jasmine turned on him like that...then when we see the real Jasmine locked up with the others I was all "whew" LOL. It's kind of a shame Jafar couldn't resist revealing himself to Aladdin right before the execution because it would have been WAY more evil to let him die thinking that Jasmine hated him.

And I watched this last night. And was it just me, or was the animation for Return of Jafar...not up to Disney's standards? Hell, the animation for Gargoyles was much better, and that was a television series. It just looked cheap. And I'd forgotten how GODAWFUL it was. For such a good villain, for him to go out the way he did? I dunno.

The animation for King of Thieves was slightly better, but something was just...off. Robin was WONDERFUL. And I had to keep reminding myself that Cassim was not MacBeth!* John Rhys-Davies was wonderful casting.

The best part for me was trying to name all the impersonations Robin's Genie gave us.

And I know this is nitpicking, but what is it about Americans discomfort or inability to pronounce hard J sound? They just always insist on pronouncing it softly, instead of with a hard G like George sound. Not just for this movie, but it seems it's always with Indian names. Lots of journalists, other people did the same for Rajiv Gandhi, or any name where J was supposed be emphasized.

And I'm pretty sure that Arabian brides don't have a bridal bouquet which they throw to the single ladies. But, whatever.

*Gargoyles anti-hero character.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The animation for King of Thieves was slightly better, but something was just...off. Robin was WONDERFUL. And I had to keep reminding myself that Cassim was not MacBeth!* John Rhys-Davies was wonderful casting.

Still can't believe that's the same guy that plays Gimli!

You're right, the animation for the Disney video sequels was never up to par.  But whatever.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I'm pretty sure that Arabian brides don't have a bridal bouquet which they throw to the single ladies. But, whatever.

Pretty sure they don't either.  Also I...didn't really like Jasmine's wedding dress that much.  The veil and her loose hair was lovely, but they could have given her a prettier dress to wear!  Well, maybe the live action one can take care of that, LOL. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

Disney released their 2019 release schedule at CinemaCon:

Avengers: Endgame

Breakthrough

Aladdin

Toy Story 4

The Lion King

The New Mutants

Spies in Disguise

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Ford v. Ferrari

Star Wars Episode IX

Penguins

Tolkien

Ad Astra

Dark Phoenix

Stuber

Artemis Fowl

The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Woman in the Window

Frozen II

Call of the Wild

I think Karen Gillan is in four of these. Not to mention the next Jumanji movie, also scheduled to come out this year.

(edited)

Another thing about Aladdin and the King of Thieves is that Jasmine got to go full-on badass.  Slugging of one the 40 thieves in the face for ruining her wedding?  Classic.

Not to mention in the end, when she and the gang ambush the thieves, she pushes a statue on them, she literally JUMPS into the fray, and promptly nails one of them with a gut-punch.  Love her

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

One thing that bugs me is how some viewers think Aladdin had a "plot hole" in how he frees Genie, specifically "Why didn't he just use his last wish to be a prince/change the law then give Jasmine the lamp so she can wish him free."

*sigh*

THAT'S. NOT. THE. POINT.

Aladdin realized that 1) he should keep his promise to free Genie and 2) he couldn't keep pretending to be a prince, magic or not.  And giving the lamp to Jasmine to change the law before freeing him wouldn't work either, because the point of the Sultan changing the law at the end was that Jasmine could have a say in her future, laws be damned.

Geez, it's like these people don't even get the point of the whole movie!

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

One thing that bugs me is how some viewers think Aladdin had a "plot hole" in how he frees Genie, specifically "Why didn't he just use his last wish to be a prince/change the law then give Jasmine the lamp so she can wish him free."

*sigh*

THAT'S. NOT. THE. POINT.

Aladdin realized that 1) he should keep his promise to free Genie and 2) he couldn't keep pretending to be a prince, magic or not.  And giving the lamp to Jasmine to change the law before freeing him wouldn't work either, because the point of the Sultan changing the law at the end was that Jasmine could have a say in her future, laws be damned.

Geez, it's like these people don't even get the point of the whole movie!

That's because those people are part of the CinemaSins School of Thought, in which every single minute detail and imperfection in a screenplay, regardless of how reasonably cohesive the story is as a whole, deserves snarky questioning and nitpicking. Because character arcs, necessary plot points/advancements, genre conventions, social mores that impacted how stories were written and how people were portrayed simply do. Not. Matter. Even though I highly doubt the anal retentive idiots at CinemaSins could write anything if their lives depended on it.

Where are all the Disney moms? They're dead. Get over it and quit being so ghoulish.

Why didn't Ariel just write a note to Eric explaining her plight? Maybe she was just too excited to be on land and it slipped her mind.

Why does Andy play with a china lamp fixture like Bo Peep? Uh, because he casts her as the damsel to Woody's hero and she's there and why the hell not?

Why are the nuns singing about their objections to Maria's singing The Sound of Music? It's a musical, you dummies!*

*Yes, I realize The Sound of Music isn't a Disney film, but I'm so sick of that stupid meme I could punch something.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 7

I've been thinking about it since I saw Aladdin over the weekend (and really enjoyed it), why was Beauty and the Beast (live-action) so comparatively joyless?

It was accomplishing the same goal, had the same sort of ostentatious design, followed the original movie pretty much beat for beat but to me it fell flat and lifeless and very much so like everyone involved was going through the motions. Maybe it's just me but I finished that movie never wanting to have to think about it again.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I've been thinking about it since I saw Aladdin over the weekend (and really enjoyed it), why was Beauty and the Beast (live-action) so comparatively joyless?

It was accomplishing the same goal, had the same sort of ostentatious design, followed the original movie pretty much beat for beat but to me it fell flat and lifeless and very much so like everyone involved was going through the motions. Maybe it's just me but I finished that movie never wanting to have to think about it again.

I liked the live action Beauty and the Beast warts and all but I will admit that the Aladdin live action cast were a bit more lively, or at least Mena Massoud did a better job acting in a green screen musical sequence in "Friend Like Me" -- then again Aladdin has a more active role in the song whereas in "Be Our Guest" Belle just sits and watches them perform.

• Love 1
(edited)

A Snow White remake?!? snooze

Ya know, they're going to have to put out some original material if they want to remake it 30 years from now....

Edited by Trini
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I can kinda get doing a live action Snow White given that the animated film is so very much a product of its time in so many ways. I mean, it makes a bit more sense to me than Beauty and the Beast which is from the 90s. Snow White is 80 years ago so... yeah, that part I can sort of get behind.

By the same token, this trend of redoing all the movies as live action is a little worrisome. And you also have the fact that Snow White is iconic for being the first feature length animated movie and, man, the detail work in it remains beautiful and astounding.

I just sit there going 'Why?' for a lot of it. Maleficent frustrated the hell out of me because I didn't want to see a movie about Maleficent's origins. Dark Fairy. That's all I ever needed. She was perfect. To re-do her story... look, I still haven't seen it but I've heard and I just don't like what I've heard.

I guess there's this precedent with Disney taking their animated films and putting them on Broadway and then live action movies are the next logical step but I'm still kind of blase about the whole thing.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

I guess there's this precedent with Disney taking their animated films and putting them on Broadway and then live action movies are the next logical step but I'm still kind of blase about the whole thing.

Be glad you're just blase about it. I'm downright resentful. I get that they want money and these movies are raking in the bucks, but I LOVE the animated originals because they are animated. I would rather rewatch the original Lion King, Aladdin, Jungle Book, Snow White, etc than some non-animated version. The animation is what made these movies magical for me. I would rather the new generation turn to the animated originals, but i get it, progress blah blah. I'm turning more and more into an old foggy the older I get. lol 

• Love 5
On 5/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, BetterButter said:

STAAAAAAAAAAHP!!!!!!!!

37 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Kill me now.

54036DBC-A86F-4A10-88D6-7670B62C30B2.gif

8 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Be glad you're just blase about it. I'm downright resentful. I get that they want money and these movies are raking in the bucks, but I LOVE the animated originals because they are animated. I would rather rewatch the original Lion King, Aladdin, Jungle Book, Snow White, etc than some non-animated version. The animation is what made these movies magical for me. I would rather the new generation turn to the animated originals, but i get it, progress blah blah. I'm turning more and more into an old foggy the older I get. lol 

Same here! Let’s sit together and curse Disney.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I was really ticked off about Maleficent. Just pissed off. And if they did a full live action remake of Sleeping Beauty I would have serious issues with that, too, because you cannot replicate that Eyvind Earle art and just... stopit!!

Is blase the right word? Maybe weary is. Just... this again? It feels like when they kept pumping out direct to video sequels in Eisner's latter days. But it's like... remakes are a thing. How many times have they done 'A Star Is Born' now?

And how are they going to even pull off Snow White? How are they going to cast the dwarves? Are they going to go the route of the Hobbit and just CGI actors into the size they want or do forced perspective? I don't even know. I just... gah.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

And how are they going to even pull off Snow White? How are they going to cast the dwarves? Are they going to go the route of the Hobbit and just CGI actors into the size they want or do forced perspective? I don't even know. I just... gah.

Warwick Davis and Peter Dinklage might be interested. They both played fantasy-style dwarves in Prince Caspian a few years back. Davis in particular seems more open to that kind of thing. Kiran Shah is still kicking. And I'm sure there's more out there. Even if they're embarassed, enough money can make people swallow their pride. See Harrison Ford returning for Star Wars.

9 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

There have already been two remakes of Snow White in the past decade! Oh right, they weren't Disney...

Yeah, that's kind of where I can't find myself getting too upset by these.  These are stories that are hundreds of years old, and have been adapted numerous times by studios that aren't Disney.  

4 minutes ago, starri said:

Yeah, that's kind of where I can't find myself getting too upset by these.  These are stories that are hundreds of years old, and have been adapted numerous times by studios that aren't Disney.  

Well this is my problem with it -- how many versions of Snow White are already out there?? Can we get something new, please? There are so many stories from so many places and cultures, come on.

• Love 3

But why does Disney in particular get this level of ire?  How many different Shakespeare adaptations have there been?  Or Dickens?  

I guess where I'm coming from is that I'd rather see the story told well, even if it is adapted from an earlier work.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, starri said:

But why does Disney in particular get this level of ire?  How many different Shakespeare adaptations have there been?  Or Dickens?  

I guess where I'm coming from is that I'd rather see the story told well, even if it is adapted from an earlier work.

It's specifically a remake of the Disney animated film, that's what's raising people's hackles. I encountered someone who referred to the Aladdin remake as "not the animated movie, the movie-movie!"

*pinches bridge of nose, ragged sigh*

Animation is a legitimate genre and art form and absolutely counts as film.

It's not "just for kids", the same level of blood, sweat, and tears goes into an animated film that goes into live-action. Honestly, the live-action remakes are so saturated in CGI, they barely even count as live-action, either.

The original Snow White is a classic. Is it perfect? Of course not! All stories have flaws, and trying to "improve" them will just create more flaws! If a story works as a cohesive whole, than it pays to just accept whatever imperfections the narratives have (hell, if I didn't have this attitude, I couldn't love Vertigo or Back to the Future).

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 5
(edited)

never mind, I thought Mirror Mirror was by Disney. Still think they should've waited a while, but I guess at a rate of 3-4 remakes per year they've just about exhausted the vault. Unless we're getting a live action "Three Cabelleros" soon.

Edited by dmeets