Type keyword(s) to search

Disney Films

ulkis
  • Start Topic

Since they seem to be on a kick of making live action versions of their animated films, I hope they try The Black Cauldron eventually. It ould be nice to see something closer to the source material.

And if they did Robin Hood, I wonder if they would use actors or try weird cgi foxes, heh.

• Love 4

For those who are interested, the folks who do the Real Fans for Real Movies and Holy Batcast podcasts are now doing one called Dis-Order, where they are watching and discussing all the Disney animated films, in order of creation, starting with Snow White.  They haven't been at it for long, so it's not too late to catch up.

• Love 1

So Disney just announced that they are pulling all films from Netflix.

This is because Disney is going to be creating their own Disney streaming service.

So.......... what's the big deal, you might say???

So what if I have to pay an additional $9.99  (actually, it's probably going to be $19.99)  so I can see everything from Disney films to ABC shows to Marvel to Pixar to ESPN to ....... (yeah, like I said, $19.99)

The big deal (of course) is ..........  

20 Century Fox will get their own streaming service

Sony will get their own streaming service

Universal will get their own streaming service

Warner Bros is going to get their own service (DC Comics recently announced their own streaming service, Warner Bros will eventually incorporate that into their service).

Dreamworks will get their own streaming service.........

and all of those smug people who proudly proclaim "I cut the cord!!!   I got streaming service!!!!  I only have to pay less than $50 a month to watch everything!!!"

Let's just say all of you are NOT going to be so smug anymore.

• Love 7
On 8/9/2017 at 11:59 AM, Twilight Man said:

So Disney just announced that they are pulling all films from Netflix.

This is because Disney is going to be creating their own Disney streaming service.

So.......... what's the big deal, you might say???

So what if I have to pay an additional $9.99  (actually, it's probably going to be $19.99)  so I can see everything from Disney films to ABC shows to Marvel to Pixar to ESPN to ....... (yeah, like I said, $19.99)

The big deal (of course) is ..........  

20 Century Fox will get their own streaming service

Sony will get their own streaming service

Universal will get their own streaming service

Warner Bros is going to get their own service (DC Comics recently announced their own streaming service, Warner Bros will eventually incorporate that into their service).

Dreamworks will get their own streaming service.........

and all of those smug people who proudly proclaim "I cut the cord!!!   I got streaming service!!!!  I only have to pay less than $50 a month to watch everything!!!"

Let's just say all of you are NOT going to be so smug anymore.

and Disney is NOW pulling MCU and Star Wars (I knew I forgot to mention something up above) from NetFlix as well.

I wonder if we can still watch "Muppets From Space" on NetFlix??

I usually don't add any of the religion-based channels to my 'Favorites' list, but I made an exception with the BYUtv channel.  I found that they occasionally show old live-action Disney films, so I check the schedule now and then to see what's coming up on their playlist.  I recently caught the original 'Parent Trap', which I hadn't seen in years and years.  It was still a fun movie.  This morning, I watched a movie I recorded a day or so ago-- 'The Moon-spinners' (again with Hayley Mills).  I had never seen that one.  I liked it okay (the scenes filmed on location in Crete were beautiful), but today's Disney fans might find it slow-going.  Tomorrow (or tonight, I forget) the channel is showing 'Summer Magic' another Disney (once again with Hayley Mills).  That one is fun.  I think they also show other ones that don't star Hayley Mills (don't get me wrong, I love watching her old movies), but I wish if they are going to show the old Disney movies, they would air some of the Kurt Russell ones ('The computer wore tennis shoes', 'Now you see him, now you don't', 'The strongest man in the world', etc.)

• Love 3
8 hours ago, BooksRule said:

This morning, I watched a movie I recorded a day or so ago-- 'The Moon-spinners' (again with Hayley Mills).  I had never seen that one.  I liked it okay (the scenes filmed on location in Crete were beautiful), but today's Disney fans might find it slow-going.  Tomorrow (or tonight, I forget) the channel is showing 'Summer Magic' another Disney (once again with Hayley Mills).  That one is fun.  I think they also show other ones that don't star Hayley Mills (don't get me wrong, I love watching her old movies), but I wish if they are going to show the old Disney movies, they would air some of the Kurt Russell ones ('The computer wore tennis shoes', 'Now you see him, now you don't', 'The strongest man in the world', etc.)

I remember they used to show all of these on the Disney Channel before it became Tween central. The ones with Jodie Foster were good too, especially Candleshoe. I also have a huge fondness for Escape to Witch Mountain.

• Love 6

The ones with Jodie Foster were good too, especially Candleshoe.

I vaguely remember going to see 'Candleshoe' in the theater when it first came out, but probably haven't seen it since then.  I would love to see all of the old Disney films again, even the 'live action nature' shows.   When I was a kid, we always watched 'Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color' (1960s) every Sunday night.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, voiceover said:

Dear Keira and Kristen:

Far be it from me to suggest how you should raise your children.  But with your recent articles and interviews about how Classic Disney Sux, I thought to provide counterpoint.

Instead of preventing your daughter from watching Snow White, maybe watch with her & discuss afterwards.  When Snow was driven from the only home she'd ever known, she didn't crawl under a tree, pining and weeping and hoping for rescue.  She found a messy little house; presumed it belonged to motherless children; set about making it home-y.  When the dwarves returned, her kind heart was touched by the little old men.  Youth often scorns old age.  *She* gave them comfort and love.

Later on, her innocence couldn't comprehend cruelty in the ugly beggar woman.  She very nearly died, just for that.

Sure, you can spin that Ariel "gave up her voice for a man".  Or you could say: "She traded her fin for a pair of legs and feet, so she could 'play all day in the sun' and explore the human world she'd longed to know better."  Think about comparing her to Byrd and Vespucci and all those other explorers who traded their health and secure settled family lives, all for the sake of discovering  new worlds.

And then there's Cinderella!  Who had every reason to be bitter and angry and vengeful.  But she wasn't.  And so, in fairy tale terms, she earned the generosity she was given.

Not everyone can be Hermione or Katniss.  Thank heaven for that!  I grew up with Classic Disney.  And it was sheer, fun escape.  Later on I was thrilled to cheer on the brown-eyed heroines, and weep with MuShu as I watched China bow to Mulan.

And I figured it out on my own.

This. All this. Thank you so much. 

And regarding Kristen's concerns about boys getting the wrong idea about consent from Snow White, I just like to add that the dwarves and the Prince thought she was DEAD and the kiss was just a soft little peck to say goodbye, it wasn't as though he shoved his tongue in her mouth.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And regarding Kristen's concerns about boys getting the wrong idea about consent from Snow White, I just like to add that the dwarves and the Prince thought she was DEAD and the kiss was just a soft little peck to say goodbye, it wasn't as though he shoved his tongue in her mouth.

Bwah!  Exactly.  Or she could have explained that the Prince was doing a version of the Heimlich, to get that apple out of her system.

• Love 5

Spartan Girl, that was awesome! People should not be expecting movies or tv to teach their children without actually discussing what they are watching. 

I never thought of Snow White or Cinderella as weak. I always found Snow and Cinderella incredibly strong. Both were so young and faced so much tragedy yet found a way to survive. Snow White was a tough little thing who found a way to survive on her own. Cinderella made the best of a terrible situation and never allowed it to turn her bitter or cruel. Sleeping Beauty's story was just tragic. She really never had a chance. 

6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

It is not a films job to teach their sons about consent. It is the parents job to turn to their child after the movie and say, this is just a movie, these are not real people, it is not right in real life to kiss someone who is sleeping just because you think she's dead. That's necrophilia and society frowns upon it. But really, rather than banning things from your kids lives maybe teach them that they shouldn't do everything they see in a cartoon. 

Do they ban Bugs Bunny too, cause that shit promotes violence and revenge like nobody's business. 

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

but Keira said herself on Ellen that she loves The Little Mermaid and she's mad about not showing it to her, so I think she's gonna cave on that one. I can tell.

That might be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If you love the movie, show your daughter the movie. Ugh people are ridiculous. I didn't see The Little Mermaid as Ariel giving anything up for a guy until I started reading about it on the internet. Maybe watch the movies with your kids but keep them off the internet. lol

• Love 9
On 7/6/2018 at 8:54 PM, BooksRule said:

When I was a kid, we always watched 'Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color' (1960s) every Sunday night.  

Of course there is a list of almost every single episode  (with many of the entries getting their own web page).

From classics like "The Cat From Outer Space" and "The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band"  (another Kurt Russell as a kid film)

to modern ones like "Not Quite Human (1, 2, & 3!!!)"

& "The Garbage Picking Field Goal Kicking Philadelphia Phenomenon"   (say what with the who what now??)

The predecessors to the DCOMs   (much like them --- some were good,  others ---- welllll).

You know, when I was five years old, I listened to fairy tales on tape that came with a book. There was a little sound that played when you were supposed to turn the page since these were designed to help kids learn to read (this wasn't an issue with me, I read when I was four but I still loved anything that involved books) and one of my favorites was The Little Mermaid. In that one, she gives up her voice to be near the prince... and every step she takes is like walking on knives, she dances for him despite the excruciating pain because it pleases him to watch her dance, he never considers her a viable romantic option and marries a princess... like princes tended to do. Her sisters shave their heads and sell their locks to the sea witch to find a way for the mermaid (who is NEVER GIVEN A NAME, by the way) to escape this hellish life she's now living... constant pain, no voice, no love, destined to die and become nothing more than sea foam... and the option is to kill the prince and his bride in their marriage bed.

The mermaid goes to do just that... in some instances of the story she does. In my little tape/book she throws the dagger into the sea and jumps in after, killing herself. Oh did I forget to mention that she had to dance at his fucking wedding because he wanted her to?

And then after she kills herself, her 'redemption' is that she becomes a sister of the air... whatever the hell that actually means. See, even though that read-along book/tape was fairly bleak, it didn't go into the fact that Hans Christian Andersen wrote it all as mermaids not having souls and that was one of the reasons the mermaid wanted to become human and that becoming a sister of the air meant she had to do good deeds for 300 years to earn a soul. And presumably go to heaven.

Compared to that, Disney's Little Mermaid is a fucking DREAM. She isn't tortured. She has a name. She has friends. She does her best to fight against Ursula when the moment happens... oh, and she was succeeding in developing a relationship with the prince before Ursula fucking CHEATED.

I have had friends express their disgust at Disney's version because it's too too sweet and not hard core enough. So, yeah, the original is hard core but it's also BRUTAL and not really a story I'd share with my young nieces. I mean, it's constant pain, murder/suicide and purgatory. All because she didn't know her place and wanted something more. THERE'S your lesson worth teaching, right?!

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Dandesun said:

You know, when I was five years old, I listened to fairy tales on tape that came with a book. There was a little sound that played when you were supposed to turn the page since these were designed to help kids learn to read (this wasn't an issue with me, I read when I was four but I still loved anything that involved books) and one of my favorites was The Little Mermaid. In that one, she gives up her voice to be near the prince... and every step she takes is like walking on knives, she dances for him despite the excruciating pain because it pleases him to watch her dance, he never considers her a viable romantic option and marries a princess... like princes tended to do. Her sisters shave their heads and sell their locks to the sea witch to find a way for the mermaid (who is NEVER GIVEN A NAME, by the way) to escape this hellish life she's now living... constant pain, no voice, no love, destined to die and become nothing more than sea foam... and the option is to kill the prince and his bride in their marriage bed.

The mermaid goes to do just that... in some instances of the story she does. In my little tape/book she throws the dagger into the sea and jumps in after, killing herself. Oh did I forget to mention that she had to dance at his fucking wedding because he wanted her to?

And then after she kills herself, her 'redemption' is that she becomes a sister of the air... whatever the hell that actually means. See, even though that read-along book/tape was fairly bleak, it didn't go into the fact that Hans Christian Andersen wrote it all as mermaids not having souls and that was one of the reasons the mermaid wanted to become human and that becoming a sister of the air meant she had to do good deeds for 300 years to earn a soul. And presumably go to heaven.

Compared to that, Disney's Little Mermaid is a fucking DREAM. She isn't tortured. She has a name. She has friends. She does her best to fight against Ursula when the moment happens... oh, and she was succeeding in developing a relationship with the prince before Ursula fucking CHEATED.

I have had friends express their disgust at Disney's version because it's too too sweet and not hard core enough. So, yeah, the original is hard core but it's also BRUTAL and not really a story I'd share with my young nieces. I mean, it's constant pain, murder/suicide and purgatory. All because she didn't know her place and wanted something more. THERE'S your lesson worth teaching, right?!

I agree. Hans Christian Anderson gave us some lovely stories but, dear God, the majority of them play like a Mobius strip of crippling gloom and misery. His protagonists just passively suffer, suffer, suffer, and suffer some more, and most of the time die horribly at the end for their trouble.

I also am both grossed out and baffled at how, in Anderson's Mermaid, the witch takes the mermaid's tongue as part of the voice deal.

Okay, ew and... huh?!?

First off, that's just nasty, and two, your tongue isn't your voice. Yes, you absolutely need your tongue to talk, but it's not your voice, it's basically the vessel for speech. The anatomy of your voice is way more complicated than that, and separating your tongue from your voice is like a car without a battery or vice versa. 

Anderson was just being needlessly gruesome (hey, he'd do awesome in today's horror film industry!). The Disney version handled it much better, IMO: voice is neatly removed via dark magic, tongue and everything else is intact. Besides, I don't care how sick and twisted Ursula is, why would she want some mermaid tongue rotting around her house (for God's sake, don't answer that).

Let me state once and for all: Lighter and softer does not always mean inferior, just as dark and gritty doesn't always mean superior or even correct.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Ursula used what looked like a tongue in the spell she cast on Ariel so I’d guess she’d do the same if she’d taken hers. 

It was a pretty good sized tongue, IIRC. And probably from the last schmuck she made the 'three days to get a human to fall in love with your voiceless self' -- they fail, they get turned into one of her creepy hallway adornments and she harvests what she wants from them? Goodness knows she had a lot of victims in her grotto of bad decisions.

But I absolutely agree with @Wiendish Fitch -- lighter and softer doesn't mean inferior. And I get that fairy tales were gruesome in a lot of cases for reasonable reasons but they also shifted over the years to be more along the lines of 'follow the rules or you'll GET IT' as opposed to 'cleverness and kindness are pretty cool things to be and might get you farther than you think.'

You can go through the Disney movies and pick them out as 'not good lessons for girls' I guess but, at the same time, you can do the exact opposite. Snow White was targeted because she was beautiful. SHE didn't necessarily think she was. She was the servant as far as she knew. But she worked hard and was kind enough that the Huntsman couldn't bring himself to kill her. So she's in the woods alone at night (for the first time ever, I would imagine) and succumbs to the over-whelmingness of it all, the woodland creatures lead her to safety and she uses the skills she actually has - cleaning and cooking - to make herself useful. If she's naive it's through no real fault of her own. (I mean, the original tale has her falling for the poison the hag/queen tries on her several times so... yeah, that's a little frustrating) Snow White wasn't hateful, cruel or vain. Maybe she didn't pick up a sword but... when would she have? Snow White's not a bad character, she's just a kind of character. She didn't behave as if she was better than anyone else and she got the 'reward' in the end of a true love's kiss and a prince that's all very fairy tale wrap it up blah blah blah but so what? Even if you don't like all of that... watch that movie for the artwork! It's an important piece of film history for crying out loud!

For artwork, though, Sleeping Beauty. Eyvind Earle's influence on that is so astounding (obviously since Walt gave him the art direction reins) that I just stare in awe the entire time.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

For artwork, though, Sleeping Beauty. Eyvind Earle's influence on that is so astounding (obviously since Walt gave him the art direction reins) that I just stare in awe the entire time.

I think Sleeping Beauty is one of the most beautifully drawn animated movies ever. 

I agree with you about Snow White. She was incredibly strong to have survived what she did. Through all that she maintained her sense of self. She remained good and kind and trusting. That hanging on to who she was, and surviving in a world she wasn't trained to survive rewarded her in the end with a cute guy who would treat her well. I say, get it girl!

Same with Cinderella, she had a horrible life and it would be hard to blame her for turning cruel and hard but she didn't. She looked at the bright side of her crap life and in the end was rewarded with a hot guy. 

It's all about perspective. If you plop your kid down in front of something and don't give them any frame of reference or talk to them about what they are looking at, they are going to listen to the media and friends to gain a POV. If you sit down with them and watch and point out how Snow White might have been a princess but she was humble and kind and she never felt entitled, if you show how her kindness and good heart made the woodsman go against his orders and spare her, that kindness can make positive change in the world, etc, you can make these movies a positive influence on young people. 

And if they ask about the prince saving the princess, you can talk to them about how hard it was for girls back then to live on their own and that though girls today don't need to be rescued, it was different so long ago and they should be happy that life is different for girls now. 

• Love 9

@Wiendish Fitch and @Dandesun you guys are right on the money about The Little Mermaid!

And might I add: the Andersen version of the prince was a douche. He treats the mermaid like she's some silly lapdog, as if not being able to talk makes her stupid. Eric, on the other hand, was awesome. He never treated Ariel like she was anything less than an equal just because she was mute. People rip on him for being "bland", but he was sweet, funny, modest, and best of all, he loved his dog so much that he almost died trying to save him!

• Love 8

Eric can't be bland compared to the princes in Snow White and Cinderella. Those guys had no real personality. Well, Cinderella's prince did roll his eyes at the step-sisters and seemed quite fatigued at the whole idea of having a ball to choose a bride from so there's that. But Eric had a personality. He loved Max, he was kind as well... and, yes, not a douche like Andersen's prince was... you know, the guy who had the mermaid sleep at the foot of his bed like a fucking pet?!

Eric's at least on par with Philip who is the first prince to HAVE a real fleshed out personality. And, you know, fought a dragon and stuff. Woo!

• Love 11

Eric and Philip are my top Disney Princes. 

I also love Cinderella and The Little Mermaid but Sleeping Beauty has always been my favorite Disney movie.  It's got everything including King Hubert using a fish as a sword against King Stefan. 

• Love 7

I ran hot and cold on The Little Mermaid for years, but I decided years ago that I unapologetically love it, and you know what a big reason is?

Ariel is the rare Disney princess- hell, the rare female character- who falls in love first. We see her fall in love, we see her pursue the guy, we see her do whatever it takes to get him, and she is never, not even for a moment, framed as crazy, pathetic, or needy for doing so. I can't stand the idea that girls just have to be passive vessels of desire who have to come around to some guy. 

Ursula is also one of my favorite villains ever (I like baddies who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty). And, yeesh, I never realized how utterly nightmarish Ursula's mind control of poor Eric truly was until adulthood, because think about it: what if Ariel and company hadn't crashed the wedding? What if there had been a wedding night and Ursula decided to have a little fun and... holy crap, thank the animation gods for plucky sidekicks with excellent timing!

Come to think of it, Eric was as much of a damsel than Ariel was, and I like that they save each other and that it's not so one-sided.

• Love 14
15 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Come to think of it, Eric was as much of a damsel than Ariel was, and I like that they save each other and that it's not so one-sided.

Excellent point!

16 hours ago, Dandesun said:

He loved Max, he was kind as well... and, yes, not a douche like Andersen's prince was... you know, the guy who had the mermaid sleep at the foot of his bed like a fucking pet?!

Oh my God, that part pissed me off so much too.  They really did treat her like a pet.  I feel palace only took the little mermaid in because they thought she could amuse the prince (not sexually, just like a pet/toy).  Whereas in the Disney version, Eric, Grimsby, and Carlotta were genuinely kind to Ariel, thinking that she was traumatized by some shipwreck and that she needed a place to stay.

On a shallow note, Eric's palace was so freaking gorgeous.  I went to the replica at Disney World, and it was just as beautiful there.  It's probably my second favorite Disney palace, aside from the Agrabah one ;)

• Love 7

On the subject of castles... I think my favorite is actually the one in Cinderella and the reason why is that it's full on Mary Blair. Her concept art was always so astounding. In fact, the story is, as I understand it, that Eyvind Earle got the art direction gig because Walt had gotten frustrated over the amazing conceptual art that Mary Blair produced for movies like Cinderella, Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland but the finished product never looked like the conceptual art. Earle also had that highly stylized art and it's obvious in the finished product. Sleeping Beauty doesn't look like ANY other Disney animated feature.

Anyone see '4 Artists Paint 1 Tree?' It's bonus footage on the Sleeping Beauty DVDs and if you have it on streaming it's one of the extras. It was done during the work on Sleeping Beauty so there's a lot of opportunity to see them working on the backgrounds and character work and special effects. I saw it the first time when I was a kid in the mid-80s and it had a profound effect on me as a fledgling artist and lasted well into when I actually started painting. It's just incredible.

For that matter, I think Aurora sometimes gets short shrift, even from me. She's basically the MacGuffin in the film but I often wonder how she adapted to life in a castle after growing up as a peasant. She clearly wasn't helpless, the fairies didn't use magic the entire time they raised her (until the last day) and the only one of the three that seemed to have any idea on how to do things was Merryweather. Flora and Fauna apparently didn't cook or sew the whole time (which does make me wonder what they actually did during that time) but Aurora/Briar Rose foraged and cleaned at the very least... cooked and sewed is likely, too. I always felt so bad for her when the fairies told her she was a princess. It wasn't just that she had met her dream hunk... it was 'oh, hey, everything you know has been a lie and you're entire life is going to change... NOW. Also, an evil fairy wants you dead. Happy Birthday!!' No wonder she broke down in tears.

Of course, then Maleficent's curse took over. The faint image of Maleficent in the fireplace is still one of the creepiest things. I like to think that in the time Philip's kiss woke her up and how long it then took for the rest of the castle to awaken, the fairies explained a few things. Hell, Philip might have even been able to tell her about the christening since he was there for that. The point is that once she came downstairs with Philip she seemed far less gobsmacked by the suddenness of it all and I refuse to believe it was solely because her dream hunk was there after all. Although I'm sure it helped... but still after she opened her eyes and smiled at him I like to imagine her going 'WHAT IS GOING ON?! HOW ARE YOU EVEN HERE?!' Did she know that she had parents at some point? How much did the fairies actually tell her about her life and why they were in the woods and why she couldn't talk to anyone... ever.

I also like to think that Aurora and Philip wound up being a bit more progressive than their parents given that Philip was willing to defy his father for the sake of his darling peasant maid... and Buford seemed to realize forcing Philip was a lost cause. Meanwhile there's Aurora who knows how to take care of herself. They're very close to the fairies and Philip dispatched the great evil fae in the land. I know Disney has that 'Descendants' show that features the offspring of villain characters and hero characters but I can't ever get on board with Philip and Aurora raising an entitled Mean Girl. (Anymore than I can buy Maleficent actually having a kid. Or Ursula for that matter.) I get the concepts but I'm not really down with it all.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

I know Disney has that 'Descendants' show that features the offspring of villain characters and hero characters but I can't ever get on board with Philip and Aurora raising an entitled Mean Girl. (Anymore than I can buy Maleficent actually having a kid. Or Ursula for that matter.) I get the concepts but I'm not really down with it all.

Or Cruella de Vil, or Jafar... You know what? I refuse to dignify the God-forsaken Descendants franchise with attention it doesn't deserve.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 4

I have Disney Emoji Blast (because my family and I are full on Disney dorks in every conceivable way) and Mal (from Descendants) was one of the emojis you could win recently. None of us knew who she was. And when I figured it out I was like 'Oooo... I so don't care...' I don't think any of us unlocked her. Winnifred from Hocus Pocus, however... that's a different story! (I also have all of the villain emojis which are great. Don't care about those offshoots, though.)

Given that it is Halloween time... anyone else pull out Ichabod and Mr. Toad and the Nightmare Before Christmas for the season?

I quite love the Disney Legend of Sleepy Hollow. First of all, Bing Crosby. Second, it's actually a pretty accurate telling of the story. And, man, the image of the cloud hands covering the moon is one of my favorite creepy touches.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 5

I Flove The Little Mermaid so very much. And agreed that Eric had a personality. In fact the brief opening and the party scene on the ship are basically a highlight reel of why he's a good dude. Opening: loves sailing and the sea and he's not afraid to do manual labor. He's respectful and interested in the sailor's story. Party: He's playing the flute and dancing with Max (loves music and animals) is squicked out by a 10 foot statue of himself (not arrogant) but pretends to Grimsby he likes it to spare his friend/possible surrogate parent's feelings. Looking for the "right girl" for him and not willing to settle for any princess just cause. Takes charge during the storm, including saving Grim, and when safe in a lifeboat dives into a stormy sea and climbs back onto a burning ship to save his dog. Like damn. No wonder Ariel fell hard. 

I am so nervous/excited for the live action version. 

• Love 14

I've always loved the Little Mermaid, and I tend to get annoyed at the Think Piece style "its so sexist, she sells her soul for a MAN!" hot takes. I mean, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and in a vacuum, its not a great, but the movie makes it clear that Ariel always loved learning about the human world, and dreamed about leaving home to explore the rest of the world. Yeah she fell in love at first sight with Eric, but it was clearly more than that. Thats why I love when Ariel gets to the human world so much, you can tell how excited she is to explore this new world, and how happy she was just to have new experiences. I think wanting to explore the world and have adventures is a great lesson for kids, especially if you talk to your kids about the lessons to take out of it. 

And, I mean, can you blame her for loving a guy who risks his life to save a dog? And can dance? Thats a keeper right there, even if you do happen to have a tail! 

• Love 14

Well said, @tennisgurl

I first saw 'Little Mermaid' in the theaters when it came out, and I was five at the time. The only thing about that movie that I can recall having any negative impact on me was when Ursula got all gigantic and tried to kill Eric. That was scary to a little kid!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Well said, @tennisgurl

I first saw 'Little Mermaid' in the theaters when it came out, and I was five at the time. The only thing about that movie that I can recall having any negative impact on me was when Ursula got all gigantic and tried to kill Eric. That was scary to a little kid!

I actually got scared by Triton destroying the grotto. I was 3/4 and grown ups yelling always scared me. Yeah, I know, I was a wimp.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I actually got scared by Triton destroying the grotto. I was 3/4 and grown ups yelling always scared me. Yeah, I know, I was a wimp.

Not wimpy at all, that's a totally valid thing to be scared about! I hated that scene, too, because I couldn't imagine my parents ever intentionally destroying my things like that, so seeing her dad do that to her was very upsetting. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I've always loved the Little Mermaid, and I tend to get annoyed at the Think Piece style "its so sexist, she sells her soul for a MAN!" hot takes. I mean, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and in a vacuum, its not a great, but the movie makes it clear that Ariel always loved learning about the human world, and dreamed about leaving home to explore the rest of the world. Yeah she fell in love at first sight with Eric, but it was clearly more than that. Thats why I love when Ariel gets to the human world so much, you can tell how excited she is to explore this new world, and how happy she was just to have new experiences. I think wanting to explore the world and have adventures is a great lesson for kids, especially if you talk to your kids about the lessons to take out of it. 

And, I mean, can you blame her for loving a guy who risks his life to save a dog? And can dance? Thats a keeper right there, even if you do happen to have a tail! 

9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Well said, @tennisgurl

Jenny Nicholson makes in her piece

What Princesses Want: A Fable

This idea about Ariel “giving up her voice for a man” is so often repeated, usually in these exact words. Somebody must have said it once, and it resonated with people, and they took it for granted that that’s what happens in the story. If you watch the movie without that preconception, that’s obviously not what’s happening.

It’s not exactly a subtle point in the movie that Ariel is obsessed with the human world. Before even laying eyes on Prince Eric, we see her fawn over her seagull friend’s explanations of human objects. (He’s wrong about all of them, but Ariel is naive and believes what he tells her.) She visits dangerous shipwrecks to collect artifacts, which she keeps in a creepy collection in a dedicated grotto. Her infatuation with Eric seems to almost entirely be because he’s the first human she’s met up close. She’s basically an amateur anthropologist, or whatever is the mermaid-to-human equivalent of a "weeaboo" (a.k.a. the internet's term for a non-Japanese person who's obsessed with Japanese culture). 

• Love 5
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:21 PM, Constant Viewer said:

I also have a huge fondness for Escape to Witch Mountain.

I loved Escape to Witch Mountain as a kid, but I'm afraid to see it as an adult.  There have been other things I loved as a kid, I've seen them as an adult and came away wondering what I was thinking, and I don't want to ruin Escape to Witch Mountain because it was absolutely my fave as a kid.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:24 PM, voiceover said:

And then there's Cinderella!  Who had every reason to be bitter and angry and vengeful.  But she wasn't.  And so, in fairy tale terms, she earned the generosity she was given.

What really bugged me about what Keira said about Cinderella was that she shouldn't have waited for a man to rescue her.  I'm not really sure exactly what Keira thought Cinderella was supposed to do, but you could put that in the category of victim blaming.  She was pretty brave to go to the ball in the first place, even with a fairy godmother's help.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I loved Escape to Witch Mountain as a kid, but I'm afraid to see it as an adult.  There have been other things I loved as a kid, I've seen them as an adult and came away wondering what I was thinking, and I don't want to ruin Escape to Witch Mountain because it was absolutely my fave as a kid.

What really bugged me about what Keira said about Cinderella was that she shouldn't have waited for a man to rescue her.  I'm not really sure exactly what Keira thought Cinderella was supposed to do, but you could put that in the category of victim blaming.  She was pretty brave to go to the ball in the first place, even with a fairy godmother's help.

Plus Cinderella wasn't even thinking about catching the Prince's eye she just wanted to go to the ball. If he hadn't she probably just would have enjoyed the night at the ball and gone home. Cinderella never actually thinks about leaving although that could be due to her years of abuse, no where to go, no money, and other things. We don't know what if any options she had if she left. I do love the Honest Trailers remark about the Fairy Godmother not calling CPS years ago.  

• Love 11