Type keyword(s) to search

The Good Wife Creators Haven't Ruled Out The Possibility Of Diane And Cary Headlining A Spinoff

Oh crap.  I'm not in favor of a spinoff with Diane.  I mean, I love Christine Baranski, but I like the somewhat ambiguous ending of The Good Wife.  I think the writers did a disservice to the Diane character in the finale and I prefer to believe that Diane gets over the "betrayal" by Alicia and that her marriage to Kurt is fine (if he did have an affair, it was before he recommitted to Diane and they will get over it).  I don't have much confidence in how the Kings are going to write her story in the new show's premiere.  

• Love 5

I don't know how reliable USA Today usually is and I'm sure things can always change, but regarding the spinoff:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/05/18/cbs-plans-good-wife-spinoff-led-christine-baranski/84538008/

The series, another legal drama, will focus on the firm headed by Baranski's Diane Lockhart, with Jumbo (who joined Wife in its final season) returning as Lucca Quinn. But it will be told through the eyes of Diane's young goddaughter and legal colleague, the offspring of her wealthy college roommate, whose family isn't as picture-perfect as it seems.

If Kurt had an affair with a woman who he then asked Diane to negotiate the sale of his company to for below market value, he's worthless and I hope she kicks him to the curb. 

I want Carey to be part of this I think, just because I enjoy the character and actor. But I really like lucca too so I'll watch. 

• Love 1
On 5/13/2016 at 6:54 PM, KaveDweller said:

I don't know how they'd have this spin off about Lucca and Diane as lawyers in Chicago and never have Alicia come up at all? There are only three law firms in Chicago in this universe.

Well, they were able to not have Kalinda come up even thought rarely had more than 2 in Chicago at the same time.  (I remember only 5 investigators in the history of the show - the blond who worked for Agos Florrick, the guy who kept hauling his kids around with him, the guy Kalinda ran out of town, Kalinda, and Jason).  

They can just have Alicia quit the firm to run for President or Senator or Prime Minister of Canada or whatever Eli decides. 

Sounds to me like it's the same story as TGW, really: sheltered innocent female joins the legal world and discovers that real life is not black and white and requires moral compromise if you are to survive. Only this time the husband and children are parents and siblings.

More info on the spinoff the big one being that the Kings will be the showrunners:  Good Wife Spinoff Sets February Premiere as Robert and Michelle King Formally Take Showunner Reins

As previously reported, the spinoff will pick up one year after Diane KO’d Alicia in last May’s Good Wife series finale. And although Julianna Margulies isn’t currently set to appear, Michelle King recently hinted that “we might see Alicia.”

I thought they should have quit when they were ahead with The Good Wife.  The Good Wife should have ended after Will died, and Diane joined Alicia and Cary's lawfirm.  I don't have much hope for the spin off.  Diane was one of the people who from the beginning kept urging Alicia to be more ruthless and practical so her slapping Alicia at the end was so hypocritical.  Starting over again with the same premise with a few different characters doesn't sound interesting.

• Love 1

I just read yesterday that Marissa I mean Sarah Steele is in as Diane's secretary. Hint to the Kings: get rid of everyone but Marissa and build the show around her. Okay by me to unchain Eli and Ruth and let them roam free on the show too, but that's all, no one else. I don't even want to know an epilogue to what happened to the rest of the characters. 

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 1

The Good Fight Premiere Date Set

CBS has announced that its all-digital Good Wife spinoff will make its broadcast debut on Sunday, Feb. 19 at 8/7c. The premiere will bow simultaneously on the network’s streaming service CBS All Access, which will exclusively host all of Season 1’s remaining episodes. And we repeat: Following premiere night, all new episodes will be available on subsequent Sundays only on CBS All Access.

The Good Fight‘s debut was moved up from its originally scheduled Spring 2017 launch to fill the void left by Star Trek: Discovery, which was delayed from January 2017 to May 2017.

On 10/27/2016 at 8:42 PM, Kromm said:

I already wasn't going to watch, but Bernadette Peters helps confirm that's a good decision. 

No kidding.  Bernadette Peters makes even the $9.99/month access fee worth it.  And she's another one of those ageless actresses who has to have an aging portrait stashed away somewhere (she's 68, believe it or not, but she only looks about 35 and has for decades).  And you'd better believe she can turn in a powerful dramatic performance!

22 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

No kidding.  Bernadette Peters makes even the $9.99/month access fee worth it.  And she's another one of those ageless actresses who has to have an aging portrait stashed away somewhere (she's 68, believe it or not, but she only looks about 35 and has for decades).  And you'd better believe she can turn in a powerful dramatic performance!

Um, I think previous posters were saying that the casting OF BP solidified their decisions to NOT watch 

1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

So?  That's their opinion and their prerogative.  Mine is to watch BECAUSE OF her.

I misunderstood. I actually like BP but likely won't watch because the show will apparently be broadcast on a separate pay cable or online channel after its initial premier on network CBS and I already pay for enough TV. 

New, longer promo: 

This looks like money. Do they have a bigger budget now? Or is all this just for the premiere? No matter. It looks fantastic.

Would Diane really have all of her money wrapped up with this one guy? And Kurt is still around. Hopefully they divorce because...he's weird and I want to see her with an active love life.

Also: MARISSA! 

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 1

This is a link to the more "explicit" trailer for the show.  Apparently, the pilot that airs on CBS will be cut somewhat and cleaned up for broadcast.   The one that airs on CBS All Access will be more "adult," as will all the episodes that air on that site.  If you've dreamed of watching Diane drop an F-bomb, the trailer I linked to is for you. 

• Love 1