Type keyword(s) to search

Scandal in the Media

Scandal was the answer to the online quiz for potential Jeopardy contestants. The question was name the TV show where Fitzgerald Grant was president.

If I get called for an audition, I will forgive all plot insanity and consider my time watching to be well spent!

Despite Grey's Anatomy having it's best ratings since the season premiere Scandal was down from last week

On ABC, Grey's Anatomy earned a 2.8, way up from last week's 2.1 adults 18-49 rating and the show's highest ratings since the season 11 premiere (which earned a 3.1 adults 18-49 rating). Scandal garnered a 2.3, down a tenth from last week's 2.4 adults 18-49 rating.

The show also lost 2 million viewers from the GA lead-in. The show is making up the lost live viewership in L+3 but the show used to incredibly reliant on it's live viewers. When will the bleeding stop?

So, i'm sitting here in front of a tv tuned to ABC, and it's a bunch of hospital personnel, mostly crying. My local listings say Scandal should be on. Did i miss something here?

So, i'm sitting here in front of a tv tuned to ABC, and it's a bunch of hospital personnel, mostly crying. My local listings say Scandal should be on. Did i miss something here?

Yes, Grey's is 2 hours this week. Scandal will be back next week, or the following week.

The show also lost 2 million viewers from the GA lead-in. The show is making up the lost live viewership in L+3.

Eh, not really.

Based on the Wiki, the +7 boost has been about 1.5-1.7 each week, but that does mean the overall L+7 viewership has been going down considerably.

High 4s for much of the season, now it's been in the high 3s. So a bunch of people have just disappeared.

(edited)

I can't say enough about the AV Club's recap of the finale* It hit on every single thing that bugs me about this show.

Some of my favorite bits:

If there’s been an hour of television this year as cowardly, callow, and dissatisfying as “Command,” I missed it. The episode had one job, and one job only: to end the B-613 storyline that has marred the show possibly beyond repair. “Command” fails to do that.

Preach. It.

Yet again, B-613 has been placed gently on a shelf so it can be retrieved at a moment’s notice, and as long as it’s unresolved definitively, Scandal will never be good again. Whenever Scandal is telling the story of the effort to defeat B-613, it’s stupid and dull, and the threat of the storyline’s return is corrosive to the relationship between Scandal and its audience. “Command” needed to be a gesture of good faith. Instead, it’s a pacifier made entirely out of rancid beef tripe. Have fun sucking on it until September.

Dear sweet heaven - YES! 

...this show is a frantically paced high-wire act that only works if the writers leave no opportunity for the audience to think critically about what they’ve seen. “Command” gives the audience plenty of time to take inventory because none of it is the least bit diverting, and the amount of logic spread across the episode could fit comfortably in a thimble.

It's like this recapper reached into my head and took these words out of it. Damn.

And this...

Scandal can never decide whether Rowan is the world’s most powerful man or an anxious busybody trying to make sure his fragile empire remains intact. Really, he’s whoever the current scene calls for...

...is the issue I've always had with Rowan, and frankly, with all the characters on this show (I have lost count of how many times Mellie's characterization been retconned to serve the plot). 

I'd like to say I'm curious to see whether the writers can pull it together and make this show fun and entertaining or not, but I'm just not.

*And I say this as someone who's not crazy about AV Club.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2

Someone on the Grey's thread said ABC ordered 21 episodes of Scandal this season. Standard full season order is generally 22. So, did they cut their order by 1? I know they cut it by more for Washington's pregnancy, but cutting by one seems...weird. Can anyone confirm?

I just saw ABC's TGIF promo. I am glad Cornelius Smith Jr. is now a regular. He is a talented actor. He was great on All My Children. However, I just roll my eyes at Scott Foley's inclusion as Jake. I knew that he was never going anywhere. His mediocrity is here to stay.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

I know, when I saw SF, I couldn't believe he was still on the show. When I saw the group pic, I hoped that he just moved to another show, but then the individual pics made it clear he remains in Scandal land. I actually prefer Jake with Oliva over Putz, but I liked when he got his backbone and self respect back and walked away to see him still in the mix is disappointing.

• Love 1

Scandal trailer below. I will put my comments in spoilers just in case. 

It features a steamy Fitz and Olivia. I hope this means the show is back to being about their tortured romance and is done with the spy crap. Supposedly, Fitz is divorcing Mellie. I will believe they actually divorce when I see it, but the attempt adds to the drama.

http://tvline.com/2015/09/10/scandal-trailer-season-5-fitz-mellie-divorce/

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

It's time for Shonda Rhimes to quit

http://nyp.st/1ENARcG

Late to the party,but Grey's Anatomy's going on its 12th season?!

Holy fuck. That damn well should've been a series finale!

As for Scandal, I hate B613 eating up the show premise far more than I hate Fitz being shown as some sort of romantic prize. So if Olitz is the price I have to pay for seeing anything resembling the "Cleaning up political messes" premise I tuned into,I can live with that.

Not for me. Hot damn I'm ready for some all-out Olitz.....let the drama be about what happens after they get together for once!

And sorry, but that smile at her over the champagne glass...hot as fuck.

The actors have undeniable chemistry...which makes the suckitide of them as a pairing so much worse for me. :(

I just caught the tail end of "Scandal High" on the Kimmel show. Now I'm obsessed with finding the whole thing on YouTube. Hilarious!

The funny thing is, Tony Goldwyn's high school character sounded just like Fitz. 

Scandal got a 2.2 yesterday, its second time losing to Grey's in the last 3 seasons (along with last year's Big Shocker). Last fall, Scandal's low was a 2.9, and in the spring it dropped as low as a 2.1, a 28% drop. The same drop from a 2.2 would be a 1.6.
The series low is a 1.9, so I definitely expect new series lows.

From the Hollywood Reporter:

ABC's Scandal isn't wasting any time in jumping back into the action when season five resumes Feb. 11. When the series returns from its holiday break, six months will have passed and the race for president will be in full swing.

I saw the ratings this morning and I was shocked. I imagine ABC will try to spin it and talk about Live +3 numbers but this is not a good sign. It also wasn't a good sign when Scandal started tying Grey's in the ratings when it was beating it by quite a bit last year. Will be interesting to see if this continues if they feel the need to start with ratings stunts (i.e. character dying, bringing in big name actor/actress).

Bring back Olitz. Not that I'm advocating it, ugh. But I imagine a significant portion of the ratings fall out is all the Olitzers who won't watch unless their couple is together.

I don't think that's it. Ratings really started tumbling last spring after the shooting episode, so real world politics maybe had something to do with it. But I think the biggest reason is that, on a show like Scandal which relied on the shocking twists to keep people talking, and always squeezed 3 hours worth of story into every episode, it's impossible to keep up that pace and actually make it worth watching. You can't up the ante forever, and Scandal was really only fun to watch because it kept doing just that.

And papa Pope. That's my other theory. I tuned out last week after he and Olivia were pleasantly eating dinner together. Fuck that shit. 

For the record, "Run," which was Olivia escaping from the kidnapping last January, had a 3.6 rating. So it's down 50% in just one year. HTGAWM is even worse off, down 55%. Grey's Anatomy continues to be steady as she goes, down a bit. Shondaland fell apart incredibly fast.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 1

Nothing that happens ultimately amounts to much, in the long run, and viewers have figured it out, so what's the point in watching? Papa Pope is the evilest evil that ever eviled and Liv thinks he should die/be locked away--no, he's just a cog in a wheel with whom Liv calmly dines. Huck gets off on torturing people but will never be declared insane or locked away for good. No one who really matters on the show is going to prison or losing power for the long haul, regardless of whatever awful thing they've done. Jake will take Olivia back no matter how many times she treats him like a backup to Fitz. Fitz will eventually forgive anything Liv does, because he's whipped. None of their falling outs seem anything other than temporary, even though they can't just get together and stay together, so they're part of a never ending triangle that drags all the characters down. You can't sustain a narrative in the long run with OMG moments: if everything is shocking, nothing is. IDK how Scandal fixes its ratings problem without Shonda drastically changing her approach.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 5

I agree with everything you wrote. It's sort of like the original Melrose Place. When it was hot, it was really hot, but when you burn that bright, you flame out really quickly. Empire will experience the same thing when it comes back, mark my words.

I think I recall Shonda saying during the first or second season that she envisioned Scandal as a 5 season show. Welp, she was right on target. 

• Love 1
(edited)

My boyfriend Danny Pino and I have a secret pact: he gets roles on shows and I watch them. So dammit, dammit, dammit, now I have to start watching this show for more than just the Abby scenes.

Looks like I need to rewrite the pact to say, "roles on shows that haven't deteriorated to the point of stupidity." To make this up to me, Shonda, I order you to get him together with Abby, not with Liv or Mellie or Quinn or Portia Rossi's character or anyone else. Then I can minimize my viewing time with a two-fer. Oh, and I'll need a few shirtless scenes from Danny in there, too.

And before you protest, Shonda, just remember you owe me big time for sticking with your piece-of-shite show.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2

I am surprised that SR is ending Scandal next season. She could probably squeeze out a couple more seasons. At least, this means that she will be able to wrap up the characters' stories. 

• Love 1