Type keyword(s) to search

Rectify: In The Media

Thanks for posting that trailer, peachmangosteen! It's a tad spoilerish but nothing significant nor anything we haven't really speculated about, and I'm glad to see a ballpark timeline.

I couldn't agree more about Aden Young. He is phenomenal. I read an interview recently and I don't know why I was surprised to read that he's from Australia. Being from the deep south I've always (involuntarily) had my radar out for actors trying to fake a southern accent. He got past my radar. He's just that good.

My anticipation for this show's return has been beyond ridiculous. 

Thanks for the trailer.  Had no idea we were so close to S2.  I really enjoyed S1 and found things to like/dislike about all the characters, looking forward to it.

There's a rave write-up in TV Guide reflecting on season one and Daniel's world.

Why Everyone Should Watch Rectify, TV's Most Devastatingly Poignant Drama

And by the season finale (whose emotional pummeling rivals the devastation of Game of Thrones' Red Wedding), neither the audience nor any of the characters — Daniel included — seem to know who he really is. This ambiguity feels both inconsequential and incredibly profound. Daniel is not a character you know, he is a character you feel. And whoever he may be cannot be reduced to simple binaries, especially those of innocent and guilty.

Rectify is a show about trying to apply order to variables. When Daniel loses everything that he's accepted to be true about his life — that he would die in prison — and is forced back into the society that tried to shed him, Daniel must learn what it means to be human all over again. And this, he discovers, means embracing the unexpected. A life where miracles are as likely to happen as misfortune, and where nothing — from the person waiting behind a door to the beliefs he held as true — can be predicted or relied on.

Sundance TV will air season one this Sunday the 15th.

• Love 2

Review: 'Rectify' riveting as ever in Season 2

The age-old complaint that "there's nothing good on TV" is tired and played out. The truth right now is there's so much quality television that some shows tend to get lost in the flood -- especially if you don't know where to look for them.

Case in point: "Rectify."

It's a spare and somber drama that doesn't call a lot of attention to itself. And it airs on Sundance -- a cable network your remote might need a GPS to find.

Rectify debuted last year with six episodes that were extraordinary enough to earn a place on a number of critics' Top 10 lists. The drama about a former death-row inmate is back for a 10-episode second season, and it still has a fascinating story to tell.

Aden Young is again in Emmy-caliber form, delivering a gripping character study of a man who isn't comfortable in his own skin. Stoic to the core, Young still manages to give us a feel for Daniel's psychological texture, while revealing the horror his life has become.

Source

• Love 1

I skipped watching the trailing, but I'm looking forward to tonight. Such a beautiful show, and Aden Young is amazing. 

I didn't watch the replay of S1, and I hope I don't find myself wishing I did as I watch S2 and find I've forgotten things.

• Love 1

Vulture posted a great interview with Clayne Crawford.

And if anyone's interested, Daniel was looking at The Breakfast by Pierre Bonnard while he was at the High. (The cafe is actually in a different part of the museum, but I rather like where the show's set designers moved it to.)

Thanks for that interview, peeayebee. That was a really great read!

I read Sepinwall's site several times a week now. I had never heard of him before last year and somewhere I read a recommendation for his book, "The Revolution Was Televised", read it, loved it, and have been a fan of his ever since.

Whoa, I thought I'd read that wonderful piece you posted, alexvillage, but I had not. What a great article; it would make me want to watch if I weren't already a fan.

The whole thing is really well-written, but I especially enjoyed this part and I hope it's okay to copy/paste this much of the article:

"In the second season premiere, Daniel finds himself in a dream space seemingly between life and death, where he meets a friend he made on death row, someone he never thought he'd see again. Their conversation doesn't center on the improbability of their meeting, as it might on other shows. It centers, instead, on the question of whether life is ultimately a gift or a long slog toward death, a kind of cosmic sentence between the hard punctuation marks of beginning and end.

It's a staggeringly beautiful scene, not just thanks to its writing and acting, but thanks to its direction, which places the events in a barren field and is never shy about pulling back to find Daniel and his friend, dressed all in white, amid all this death. Beautifully directed scenes like this are present throughout the series. And more importantly, they're not afraid to linger on lovely images, to represent all of the good and bad that life can offer.

It could be incredibly, incredibly pretentious, the kind of pseudo-philosophical babbling that has done in many a lesser show. But Rectify earns moments like that - or others, like when Daniel stands beneath a flowering tree, petals drifting around him, or when he sets off on a bike back to his hometown in Georgia after a brief sojourn in Florida - because it wears its heart on its sleeve. It honestly wants to be a series that asks its audience to consider the idea that life is a gift, yes, but one that leaves bruises. And both sides of that equation are necessary."

Yes, yes, and yes!

I went back and watched that scene again recently so I could bask in the friendship between Daniel and Kerwin and have my heart crushed a little when he walks away. "All I'm sayin', D. All I'm sayin'."

Edited by Syren
  • Love 1

Is anyone here listening to "Serial"? During the last episode I suddenly thought of Rectify. A psychologist (I believe) was talking about how some people can murder and not remember having done it. That opened up the possibility in my mind that Daniel could have killed Hannah. I still really think he didn't do it, but I had never thought the alternative was plausible.

• Love 3

Just got an e-mail notice that season 2 is on Netflix streaming now. I went to the Sundance website to see what's up with the series, and found that they started shooting season 3 a few weeks ago; it'll air this summer. Only disappointing info is that it's back to only 6 episodes!

Here's the info for anyone interested: http://www.sundance.tv/series/rectify/blog/2015/02/sundancetvs-critically-acclaimed-rectify-begins-production  It contains a summary of the new season, so there are mild spoilers.

• Love 5

You’ve just wrapped season 3 of Rectify – what can you tell us?

Abigail Spencer:

It’s so interesting because it’s so much a part of the allure of the show – not revealing too much. It was that way on Mad Men. I wasn’t allowed to tell anyone I was on the show. I can say that we had left off of Season 2 with Daniel and that was a big break for Amantha because she didn’t want him to just get out of jail, she wanted to clear his name. She wanted him to be totally free, totally clear, to ‘rectify’ the entire situation, and I think she was willing to go the distance and then realized that Daniel wasn’t. That was a big shift in her perspective. So, we will pick right back up where we left off of Season 2. Rectify is a very torture-driven private relationship-centric drama. What’s really interesting is actually seeing how the lives of these people play out almost in real-time.

abigail-spencer.jpg?w=970&h=647

http://deadline.com/2015/05/abigail-spencer-rectify-true-detective-1201430419/

• Love 4

The ongoing existence of this elliptical and deeply spiritual drama about a man adjusting back to civilian life after decades on Death Row is perhaps the strongest argument for the depth of this current Golden Age of TV drama, because at no other time in the medium's history would a show this wildly uncommercial, albeit beautiful, be entering its third season, with its creator still talking about having a long plan for the series. Whatever it is Ray McKinnon wants to do with this how, I'm there, and I'm grateful for the programming environment that allows it to keep going.

~ Alan Sepinwall

• Love 2
(edited)

Looks like a marathon is running on AMC or at least my dvr recorded the 1st and 2nd eps of season one so far.  I rewatched the first one and was struck all over again how beautiful and sad I found this show to be.  

http://www.sundance.tv/series/rectify/videos/rectify-amc-marathon says " Rectify is on AMC for one week only. Starts Mon., Jun. 15 late night." As Fisher King posted upthread, season 3 returns to Sundance on Thursday, July 9, at 10/9C.

http://www.amc.com/schedule says tonight (Wednesday night/Thursday morning) AMC is running season 2, episodes 1–4, from 1 to  5:04 a.m. Thursday night is episodes 5–8, from 1:30 to 5:35 a.m. Friday is episodes 9–10 from 3 to 5:04 a.m.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

I am bummed. I recently moved in with my sister, who has DirecTV, and we don't get Sundance. Does the website have the episode after it airs on TV?

Yes, but a log-in is required: http://www.sundance.tv/watch-now/rectify

You must be a subscriber to AT&T U-verse, BEK Communications, Bright House Networks, Cable ONE, Charter Spectrum, Comcast XFINITY, Cox, DirecTV, FTCtv, LUS Fiber, Liberty Cablevision of Puerto Rico, Mediacom, Midcontinent Communications, Optimum, Time Warner Cable, or ValuNet to access SundanceTV Watch Now, except during special promotions.
(edited)

It says "Season four of “Rectify” will premiere in 2016, with an exact episode count to be determined." I hope it's six rather than ten—season one was better paced than season two.

Here's a good interview with Aden by Todd Vanderwerff.

I like this part:

[Rectify is] not about Daniel Holden. It's about his family that was destroyed by this night. Then it's rebuilt. Then, Daniel has reemerged back into that mosaic that they managed to salvage and he's smashed it all over again. He's a big destructive fellow. I call him 'Bigfoot' sometimes.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

Well, I can't say I hope for the show to get few episodes. Season two didn't have problems with pacing because it had ten episodes. It had problems with pacing because it had problems with pacing. There's no reason they couldn't manage eight, or ten, just because they had minor issues before. These are people who are capable of learning from their mistakes.

• Love 1

You made my day, Skyfall! WooHoo!

"Rectify Is Still Television’s Quiet Triumph"

Whatever the ratings, Rectify’s future isn’t in doubt—it was already renewed for a fourth season, and Sundance is clearly betting on it as the cornerstone of its efforts to establish a premium-cable brand, as so many networks before have done. The series is vital and different enough to do so, but if its consolation prize remains the “best show that nobody’s watching” trophy for a third year running, that’s still a testament to an expanded television universe that allows such quiet gems room to breathe without needing to justify their existence to advertisers

The Atlantic

• Love 2

Wow, that newspaper clipping is cool.

I also recently read that Walt Goggins was originally set to play Daniel in Rectify. I like Goggins okay but am glad he was too busy to commit.

I did not know that about Goggins. I loved him as Boyd on Justified, but Rectify would be a very different thing with him in the lead. Aden Young is fantastic, IMO.

• Love 2

Sundance is advertising the finale as an expanded episode, but my local schedule still shows it as an hour. Does anyone know what's up with this? Fewer commercials maybe?

My guide shows the finale from 10-11:10pm.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 2