Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Season 6, Episode 6

The house is made open to the public to raise money for the hospital, an act that divides opinions among the family and the servants. Tensions between Violet and Cora come to a head as a decision is made about the hospital takeover, Mr Dawes has a proposition for Molesley, and Baxter is thrown into turmoil by an unexpected letter. Carson is not happy with Thomas, while Mary and Edith hope to overcome their past and find new happiness with the men in their lives.

I had to check who Mr Dawes is: headmaster of Downton School. So maybe Molesley finally finds some happiness. Can't wait for the 'unexpected' letter for  Baxter, sigh - she's taken over doormat duties from Anna and Lady Edith.

• Love 2

I bet this episode will be the "climax" of the Mary/Henry relationship. We will think they will end up together. after all. And then it will all go downwards in Episode 7. Mark my words!

Oh how I hope you are right!

• Love 3

I had to check who Mr Dawes is: headmaster of Downton School. So maybe Molesley finally finds some happiness. Can't wait for the 'unexpected' letter for  Baxter, sigh - she's taken over doormat duties from Anna and Lady Edith.

Oh I hope so!  

• Love 1

I believe that Daisy and Molesley go to the exams, maybe the offer of the principal consist in some job in the administration of the school with the posibilities of becoming a teacher in the future. If i remember well Molesley never finished his studies and for that reason i found odd that inmediatily they gave a teacher possition. If this happen it results that maybe Thomas could stay in the house because Molesley is going to leave, of course there is going to be a sub plot and he is going to have some doubts and Baxter is going to talk to him about his dreams and vocation and take that oportunity.

Also in this episode i believe that Mary is going to be more suspicious about Marigold and Edith and maybe doing questions to members of the family, and knowing her personality she is going to interrogate Bertie Pelham o make some snobbish comentary about him. In relation with that i think that Robert will find that Bertie is a decent man for his daughter and maybe he is going to give her some advices about her new relation and the future of Marigold.

• Love 1

Some TV magazine wrote: "But will Mary and Henry reveal their feelings?"

And I thought: "Huh? What feelings?"

How often did they meet now? Four times. And they were alone once. And we're supposed to believe there're "feelings"? A bit unrealistic IMO. 

• Love 9

I really wish the hospital subplot would go away. Seeing Cora and Violet bickering while their husband/son was carried out on a stretcher to undergo major surgery did not paint those two in a particularly good light to say the least. And that they are now continuing to bicker is frustrating.

The Thomas/Carson subplot looks tedious as well. Carson will notice Thomas and Andy spending time together and being all secretive and he will throw a hissy fit about Thomas 'corrupting the young lad'.

I wish Baxter's turmoil is about winning the lottery - that'd be a nice change of pace for the character. She could finally get some decent clothes. Her drabbest outfit in the history of drab last episode nearly made me cry.

• Love 5

Has anyone noticed Tom was jealous? I'm not quite sure why. Was it lady Mary falling for someone else or something else?

I don't know excatly how to call it but he looked nervous somehow... He was also quite cute when he left Mary and Harry alone, but then again he was waiting for her like suspicious father - or maybe he was a big brother worried for her. One thing I'm sure, I'm not happy with her relationship with Harry. I hope they wo'nt end up together.

I never liked Carson and he's even worse now... Same thing with Daisy. She was always annoying and one more than ever. Why can't she just let go.

Edited by lorbeer
  • Love 7

I felt pretty lukewarm about Bertie Pelham before this episode - Lady Edith seemed to like him and so I was okay with him. But now I've fallen for him too. First for blessing Marigold, then for basically telling the Crawleys what they are supposed to do when they intend to open the house - but the icing on the cake was the side eye he gave Lady Mary in the last scene when she snarked at her sister. He didn't look too pleased with her ladyship nor particularly in awe - this could end interesting.

Speaking of Lady Mary: stop behaving as if you have no brains. You know exactly who Marigold is, throw that hissy-fit everyone is dreading and be done with it! And make it really dramatic - throw it into Bertie Pelham's face and hopefully you'll get the smack-down he's already planing for you.

I also loved how stupendously clueless Cora, Edith and Mary were about the house they were living in and its history. Those poor folks could have gotten a way more informative tour by Carson (who of course would have refused to inform the great unwashed about anything to with his holy family) or Moseley (who was dying to step in).

Not sure who I would like to plonk harder with a frying pan: Daisy or Mr Carson. I think Daisy because she's a complete arse to two people who have shown her nothing but kindness. Grow up and shut up, Daisy!

Subplots that are getting tedious (or already are): the hospital shenanigans, Baxter's continuous martyrdom, Anna's pregnancy scares, Carson harassing Thomas about Andy.

I guess Talbot and Mary were supposed to be the highlight of this episode but I'm giving that to his lordship talking to the little boy. That was far more entertaining. But Lady Mary's blue dress was great and at least we got a kiss - though I still don't see much chemistry or passion.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 21

Why is Daisy cockblocking Mrs. Pattimore and Mr. Mason?  I can't stand Daisy these days.

Suicide watch for Barrow?  My heart broke for him when they cut away to him crying all alone.

I love how Edith's beau just took charge and started planning/ordering everyone around.  Hopefully these two get married.

Mary stopped being into the dude the minute he started to think of their relationship in the long term.  If he would have shut up, she'd still be kissing him in the tunnel.

• Love 6

Why is Daisy cockblocking Mrs. Pattimore and Mr. Mason?  I can't stand Daisy these days.

Because she's running for 'most obnoxious character since Miss Bunting left'. She's 27 and still behaves like hardly 17.

• Love 11

My thoughts on the episode:

I thought it was a very funny episode and still I had to cry a bit at the end. Poor Thomas! He gets me every single series!

Again there were many Tom/Mary scenes. What is this all about??? Really, I DID get a friend vibe this episode, but I really don't feel anything between Mary and Talbot and I feel such a great relationship between Tom and Mary! Was he jealous? I'm not sure, it is really hard to tell. He could be just genuinely happy for Mary to find someone and he likes Henry. But I'm not sure he is NOT jealous either. The jury is out on that one.

Significant moment: "If I find you know and not have told me I will see it as a real betrayal" and Tom's horrified "Don't say that!". There WILL be trouble and she will be hurt. What about "Real love means giving someone the power to hurt you"??

Daisy!!!! What an ungrateful brat has she become?! What did Bunting do with her?!!

I loved it that they were all so clueless about the house, that was so funny! And I loved how competent Bertie was. He is a really nice chap. I hope she tells him about Marigold soon.

Robert's attempt at humor was SO cringeworthy!! LOL.

And Evelyn fans: I'm sorry, but he is REALLY friendzoned. 

• Love 6

"Not this again", my thoughts exactly, Thomas.

So this is where the plot was going to, all along. I guess we all saw it coming, everyone making a point to get Andrew away from Thomas, so that two seconds after their first meeting, everyone's rushing to the most scandalous conclusion, with no other evidence to support it other than the fact they were all waiting for it to happen. Whatever the writers have in store for this plot, I hope they keep the cheesy drama to a minimum.

I did appreciate Mary acknowledging Thomas' fondness for the children, although I'm not sure that's gonna count for much.

Did anyone else feel it was kinda weird when Edith showed the kids to Bertie while they were sleeping? I know it wasn't like nowadays, when people can just wipe out pics of their kids on their phones and such, and she meant well, but still, it felt a bit weird.

Also, the hospital sotryline for which I didn't care has now turned into the hospital storyline that I hate. Just hate it. It was your usual Violet vs Isobel plot, but now it has bled all over Cora causing actual family tension with her mother in law, something Robert doesn't need at this time.

And, what is this thing with Larry Grey's fiance? Not seeing things "eye to eye"? Isobel and Violet often don't see things eye to eye. What went doen with Larry was quite different. And Isobel's look of disbelief lol, she seemed to reign herself in for Lord Merton's benefit.

It's, ah, nice to know that marriage hasn't mellowed Carson out, not one bit. He's been a long-standing candidate for "Most Unpleasent and Ungrateful Bitch Towards Those Who Inexplicably Love You", followed closely by, yes, you guessed it: Daisy.

Seriously, and I can't stress this enough: go to hell Daisy. How old is she supposed to be now? God forbid that the two people who have helped and supported her the most should enjoy each other's company. And I liked that Ms Patmore sniffed her out right away, and sent the note to Mr Mason anyway.

What I enjoyed the most: Mary and Tom, or more like his cupid routine,  travelling all over England in order to get Mary hooked up. Lol I don't know what that is about, I just like the way he teases her. Please, oh please, just don't screw up their dynamic with unnecessary romantinc tension, I fear he's the only one who'll be able to take Mary on when she blows up about Marigold.

Edited by minamurray78
  • Love 6

I also loved how stupendously clueless Cora, Edith and Mary were about the house they were living in and its history. Those poor folks could have gotten a way more informative tour by Carson (who of course would have refused to inform the great unwashed about anything to with his holy family) or Moseley (who was dying to step in).

Lol, loved that part too! And Moseley, dying to gossip with someone from downstairs about the scene between Cora and Violet in front of the visitors.

• Love 5

I did appreciate Mary acknowledging Thomas' fondness for the children, although I'm not sure that's gonna count for much.

It was pretty sad actually, and made me realize that those kids are perhaps the only good and pure thing in his life.

Oh Mary... you can't just be nice to Edith? I love Bertie even more for taking charge and side eyeing Mary. yes I don't think Bertie is a Mary fan.

And i laughed out loud at Cora telling Robert exactly what we were talking about last week: how much he has grown to appreciate and be at awe of Edith over the past ten years. I smiled when both Cora and Robert looked unpleased with Mary idea of staying at the house.. I think this is all gearing up to the two of them leaving downtown to a smaller house.

ETA: another thing I found interesting was how not a single member of family could tell about the history of the house. it was interesting because here they are fighting (especially Mary and Robert) to hold onto this big house, that has been in the family for generations, for future generations and yet they know nothing about it! there's Mary saying this house is important for her and to her son, and yet she has zero knowledge of its history, barely knows who the people in the family paintings are. Which I think is part of the reason why many nobles at the time ended up losing everything.. not just because the times were changing but because they lost touch with their own history, it became all about the money and titles.

Mary claims she's modernizing the estate for George, for when he'll be old enough to take on the title, but she doesn't seem to think knowing the history of the house and the family is just as important.

which is interesting considering Downton has always been her life.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 6

If Fellowes gives Barrow a sad ending, I will be peeved -- PEEVED, I do say!

It's funny, in a way, I think of Fellowes as a character. And I was upset with him tonight!

Why does he have to turn Daisy into a prat-filled minx? Just because she wanted to earn an education? Change her station in life? Whatever, Fellowes. That said, I do, somewhat, understand her desire to "keep" Mr. Mason for herself. But Mrs. Patmore is like her mother, and Mr. Mason her father -- so I hope she jollies up next episode and they all end up as one happy family.

Dream wish: Barrow somehow meets Bertie's cousin who likes to "draw men", it's love at first sight, and the two men live a lovely life, but "give" the title to Bertie, so Edith and he can do their thing. That would be fantastic. Maybe Barrow ends up serving as some sort of unconventional (for the time) nanny for Marigold and any other kids Edith and Bertie may have.

"He was more of a philosopher than a thief...." Thought that was an adorable line.

• Love 12

Oh Thomas... His scene with George was heartwarming, his scene at the end was heartbreaking.

The more I see of Henry the more I like him. 

The chips are still up in the air now; next episode we will really start to see where they fall.

• Love 2

I hope the sex is worth it, Elsie Hughes Carson! (I bet it isn't.)

Carson is becoming distinctly less likable as Thomas becomes more so. Seems to me that Carson should retire so that Thomas can replace him as butler. Then Carson can spend his days learning how to be the perfect house-husband. Staffing problem solved, Your Lordship!

I enjoyed this episode, particularly the opening of the house, and all the discussion about it before and after.

Again Mary and Tom were nearly joined at the hip. He almost went for a walk in the rain with her and her boyfriend (!) but apart from that, he went everywhere with her. And even in that case, he was waiting for her when she got home. But I never for a second caught even a sniff of jealousy from him, and he referred to her as his sister. And of course, she and Henry kissed.

And I found Henry a little more appealing in this episode. I liked the way he laughed at himself and covered his mouth after he mentioned racers' wives!

Significant moment: "If I find you know and not have told me I will see it as a real betrayal" and Tom's horrified "Don't say that!". There WILL be trouble and she will be hurt.

I hope we're not expected to have any sympathy for her on this score. Mary isn't to be trusted with information that could hurt Edith. I'm sure most of us expected her to guess it this week, and then try to use it to embarrass Edith and scare away Bertie Pelham.

The actor who plays Molesley is really good. I've totally warmed to that character.

• Love 9
I hope we're not expected to have any sympathy for her on this score. Mary isn't to be trusted with information that could hurt Edith. I'm sure most of us expected her to guess it this week, and then try to use it to embarrass Edith and scare away Bertie Pelham.

Poor Tom, he was trying to be a peacemaker in this episode, with little success. But Edith finally lands some good zingers too. Of course Mary expects Tom to betray her sister's confidence but she sure as hell would not like it the other way around. I'm pretty sure she'll try the whole embarrassing stunt with Bertie and it will backfire because Bertie has already guessed Marigold's identity and/or is so disgusted by Mary's behavior that he's not going to play into her expectations and ditch Edith on the spot. It will be such fun, don't let me down Sir Julian!

I love how the show giveth and taketh: Lady Mary goes to London to meet Talbot! But she invites Tom along! Tom leaves the two of them alone for a walk in the rain! But there he is waiting for Mary to come home! He! Well played.

• Love 6

Tom is always around Mary.  They are so getting together.

My hope is that Mary will have a private hissy fit over Marigold, but then, when she has the opportunity to humiliate Edith, will have her back to show that she's grown up since 1914.

• Love 5

Ever since the Afterbuzz podcast floated the Thomas suicide theory after episode 2, I've been thinking Thomas will attempt suicide, but Andy will stop him. Part of this is that I want Thomas/Andy to happen, and I really don't want Daisy/Andy.

I wonder if Mary's concern for Thomas is the one thing she could do to make Carson angry. Maybe she goes behind Carson's back to keep him on somehow. Maybe as a tutor for the kids?

Thomas committing suicide would make me very upset :(

If I could ensure any of the characters has a happy ending I would choose Thomas. His scene at the end of the show today almost made me cry.

Edited by hafo
  • Love 4

Overall fine episode, funny how normalized their life is to them, to them it really is just a dining room and everyone that socialize with has/had one just like it. 

I don't how possessive Daisy is being of Mr. Mason, but they see to have her still acting like a 17 yr after all these years. I was watching season one and I remember how mean Mrs Patmore was to her, no excuse so many years later, but man I lot of people were cruel to each other that first season. 

I'll spit and quit watching the show if Tom and Mary become a thing, but I think they have a great relationship, not all male/female relationships need to end in romance.  I really hope theirs does not.

Andy... well I don't really get it. I understand that he is really embarrassed about his illiteracy, but Mosley seems like a much better fit for a teacher, I mean I don't mind Thomas helping him but I don't have any reason to think he'd be good at it. I doubt he'd get sacked for not knowing and lots of people would be supportive of him. 

While I certainly don't wish suicide on Thomas, he deserves every bit of his misery. He has been a pretty, vile cruel person since day one. I was watching old episodes today and he hasn't really changed. IMHO he has not earned the kindness is showed and it don't think their are enough episodes to turn that around. He insist on chasing Andy's company (non sexual I believe but he still isn't taking the hint) well constantly putting off Baxter who he tried to screw over but still wants to be friends with him. He is lonely at his own doing (well romantically he can't do much about that) That being said I would like all of the Downtown crew to be OK at the end and that includes Thomas. 

• Love 16

Ever since the Afterbuzz podcast floated the Thomas suicide theory after episode 2, I've been thinking Thomas will attempt suicide, but Andy will stop him. Part of this is that I want Thomas/Andy to happen, and I really don't want Daisy/Andy.

I wonder if Mary's concern for Thomas is the one thing she could do to make Carson angry. Maybe she goes behind Carson's back to keep him on somehow. Maybe as a tutor for the kids?

I'd like Bates to stop him. Or Anna.

• Love 1

Thomas giving piggy backs to the kids is basically the best. Especially to "cheer him up."

I'm going to get more outfits that are "medium smart." 

And I'm still trying to give two effs about the Bates' and I just can't. The way the character of Anna has been torpedoed since the first season is really a wonder. 

• Love 11

While I certainly don't wish suicide on Thomas, he deserves every bit of his misery. He has been a pretty, vile cruel person since day one. I was watching old episodes today and he hasn't really changed. IMHO he has not earned the kindness is showed and it don't think their are enough episodes to turn that around. He insist on chasing Andy's company (non sexual I believe but he still isn't taking the hint) well constantly putting off Baxter who he tried to screw over but still wants to be friends with him. He is lonely at his own doing (well romantically he can't do much about that) That being said I would like all of the Downtown crew to be OK at the end and that includes Thomas. 

Hasn't he? In the second half of the show, he's (a) gotten himself beaten up to save Jimmy, (b) saved Sybbie from an abusive nanny, ( c) saved Rose's father-in-law's reputation and made the Crawley and Sinderby families get along (d) saved Andy from a gambling ring and (e) saved Edith's life while walking into a literal burning room. AND he's doing a huge favour for Andy PLUS he genuinely loves the kids. The only servants who have done more are Anna (saved Mary's reputation and by extension the estate) and Bates (saved the British Empire by stopping the Prince of Wales from being humiliated). Thomas has had more character development (or retconning, depending on how good you think the show is) than anyone else. 

Personally I think his plot this season is stupid and maudlin - at least the Andy stuff. It might be interesting to see The World Is Changing from the POV of someone who's a successful servant but doesn't have the training and is too old to get a job in the new world and falls through the cracks. There's drama in that. That could be interesting. But the tragic homosexual is ridiculous 1950s melodrama that has no place on television unless it's on a parody show. 

As for Daisy being such an ass, whatever. It will all be resolved by Christmas, with Mrs. Patmore going from being her mother figure to her literal stepmother-in-law. And Daisy, Andy, Mrs. Patmore and Mr. Mason can all be one big happy family. 

Also, I didn't recognize Evelyn Napier in the dinner scene until he said his name. And I have no idea if it was the same actor as before. The character's a complete nonentity. Do people really ship him?

Edited by Tetraneutron
  • Love 4

BTW.. is it just me or did George seemed much older than he is supposed to be?

Also I wouldn't be surprised if from all the characters Thomas will end up alone, romantically wise.. the show is still set in the 1920's.. it be 40 more years before the UK will remove the death sentence of anyone who is gay, and about 80 more years before gay marriage will be legalized. Any thing else for him will not be historically accurate.

• Love 3

Also I wouldn't be surprised if from all the characters Thomas will end up alone, romantically wise.. the show is still set in the 1920's.. it be 40 more years before the UK will remove the death sentence of anyone who is gay, and about 80 more years before gay marriage will be legalized. Any thing else for him will not be historically accurate.

Although it is true that gays remained in the closet historically, it is not true that two "confirmed bachelors" never got together. Nor is it true that Thomas couldn't find someone, although it would be under very strange circumstances. Here is how it would work. Either an eccentric lord such as Evelyn Napier would hire him, and their relationship would be permanent, unequal, and very much on the downlow, or a social equal would fall for Thomas and, should the relationship prove mutual, the two would figure out exactly how close they could be publicly, and in what contexts, before people began to talk. They would then find themselves wives, have children, and pretend they were straight, while carrying on their relationship in the strictest secrecy. The ideal wife would either know, and not care, or would simply be too innocent to have any inkling. The latter was far more common.

• Love 4

Are you confusing George with rambunctious interloper boy?

No.

@Hecate7 I am aware that it happened, gays pretending to be straight, gays being in some sort of relationship. What I am saying is that the majority of them (hack I would say all of them) lived in the closet - except for close friend and family who may have guessed or were told- and by all historical accounts from very few were truly happy living the deception.

I just don't see Thomas marrying a woman to live in pretense and go behind her back to be with a man, and I also don't see him, anymore, willing to work for any lover- like you said that would be putting too much power in the hands of one person, and I think Thomas likes being in control- which is why I think he always schemed alot (it was the only thing he had some control over), as we've seen this season with his job future out of his hands. it has put him out of balance and have raised- imo- his biggest fears: lack of control of his life, being alone, being unloved.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 3

Hasn't he? In the second half of the show, he's (a) gotten himself beaten up to save Jimmy, (b) saved Sybbie from an abusive nanny, ( c) saved Rose's father-in-law's reputation and made the Crawley and Sinderby families get along (d) saved Andy from a gambling ring and (e) saved Edith's life while walking into a literal burning room. AND he's doing a huge favour for Andy PLUS he genuinely loves the kids. The only servants who have done more are Anna (saved Mary's reputation and by extension the estate) and Bates (saved the British Empire by stopping the Prince of Wales from being humiliated).

So no I don't think he has and I think you list of his good deeds is too generous.

A) Yes he did, but so what? Jimmy was kind of a jerk and he only did it cause he had feelings for him, and it was dumb, they should have fought them together, Jimmy wasn't a child. Sorry, little to no credit for doing something dumb for your crush.

B)  By accident, she pissed him off and he tried to get her in trouble, but he had no knowledge of any abuse (and no her not giving Sybbie egg with her tea isn't really a sign of abuse.) At best he had faint suspicions, It worked out for which I am glad but I don't see he should be given too much credit for it. It's not like he saw the abuse and rushed in to stop it.

C) What? No he didn't, he was the one that tried to ruin the man's reputation, Rose saving him is what got him to warm to her marrying his son, but I do not see how that was anything other then another instance of Thomas being petty and vindictive,

D) Yes he did, and it was very good of him.

E)  Absolutely Heroic action on his part. 

The problem with Thomas is not that he never does anything good, he is occasionally decent, and in a couple case very good to people. He is loyal to very few but foul to everyone else. He does like the children and it does seem genuine, he is not a monster, but he is more often a terrible person to pretty much anyone he can get away with it.  In the same time span of his "good deeds" you mentioned he also: 

A) Got Baxter hired just to blackmail her

B) Used Baxter to make the interminable Mr. Green plot continue. (Writing to the police that they should re question her)

C) Acted indignant that he was now a servant to Branson and tried to discredit him by implying to Robert that he had taken up with Ms. Bunting.

D) Manipulated Daisy in to striking when we was unhappy about his work conditions.

E) Sabotaged Alfred because he was upset that he was going to be a Valet over him

F) Helped Edna frame Anna for a mistake Edna made (even though all and all Anna has been kind to him)

He just sucks almost all of the time, anytime he gets even a bit of power he likes to lord it over people, even when he was temporary butler, he acted like a jerk to everyone for no reason. He just sucks and I have no sympathy for his current position as Mr. unliked, although I have a great deal of sympathy for other aspect of his life. 

• Love 15

When Edith Started the fire, Mrs. Hughes found the picture of Marigold in Edith's room and showed Anna. So they both know. 

I think it was the other way around - Anna found the picture and showed Mrs Hughes. Mrs Hughes would never have been so indiscreet as to share what she'd found with Anna.

Anna also saw Edith on the train with Marigold after she'd run off with her to London. And again, Anna took what she'd seen to Mrs Hughes, who told her to keep her nose out and not gossip. Between the two incidets, Anna has definitely figured it out.

Suicide watch for Barrow?  My heart broke for him when they cut away to him crying all alone.

Daisy has no grace to her at all. I think part of her problem is jealousy, part fear. We know she has no family and has been in service since she was something like 10 years old. She struggled to accept Mr Mason as family partly because she has such a black-and-white worldview but also because she just has no concept of what family is, it isn't something she'd ever had. Having now taken Mr Mason to her heart as family, the only family she's ever really had, she doesn't want to share him, perhaps is afraid of being replaced in his affections and finding herself alone again, while also being too scared to truly commit herself to this family she's never properly experienced by moving in with him. She's a mess. She just doesn't have either the emotional maturity or the intellectual flexibility to cope with change, I guess - for all that she claims to want it.

I was really afraid for Thomas's future this episode as well. Definitely needs keeping a sharp eye on. He brings most of his troubles on himself, for sure, he's his own worst enemy and is mostly just reaping what he has sown. But Carson is so spiteful. I can't help but feel for him.

It occurred to me that if Robert had died, Mary would now be properly in charge, as regent for George, and I think she'd happily keep Thomas on. Kind of ironic considering Thomas was actually relieved to hear that Robert was ok.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 4

Daisy needs to STFU. You'd think that she would have some appreciation for all that Mrs. Patmore has taught her but instead she stomps around like a sulky child because Mr. Mason has enough manners to send a thank you note and then insults his vegetables. I was also rolling my eyes when she said all the big houses should be open to the public and "What gives [rich people] the right to keep [poor people] out [of the fancy houses]? Well, how would Mr. Mason like it if anyone could tromp through his house any time they felt like it?

I laughed at how little Cora, Mary, and Edith knew about the house and the paintings, etc. I am wiling to give Cora a huge pass since she married into the family and she probably didn't spend much time asking Robert about every little detail in the house after she moved in. And to be honest, I kind of give Mary and Edith a pass because when you grow up with all that stuff, it's just part of the house. There is a painting that has hung over my parents' fireplace ever since I was a kid and I have no idea who painted it, when/where my parents acquired it, etc. Even though I know it's there, it's just part of the room like the fireplace or the wall so I never really paid much attention to it. I imagine when you have a huge house that your family has lived in for several generations, it's like that but to a much greater extent. But you'd think that since they KNEW they were going to have people over, someone would have asked Violet a few questions (you know, since the Downton librarian was gone).

Mary's comment about having Anna pack a medium smart outfit for dinner in London cracked me up because my friend and I joke about levels of fanciness, as in "That's medium fancy." That blue dress she wore to dinner was gorgeous though!

I'm glad that Edith is getting so comfortable in her relationship with Bertie. The fact that he seems to adore her and the fact that he can't seem to stand Mary mean he's awesome. And thank goodness she invited him to dinner or that open house would have been a disaster!

How is Henry falling in love with Mary when he's only seen her like five times in his life?

It's so obvious that the writers are trying to turn Thomas into Poor Thomas the Victim but it just doesn't wash with me. He has been such a sneaky lying trouble maker during his tenure that I don't blame Carson for not taking him at his word. When Thomas was crying in front of the fire later, I thought oh boo hoo, if you hadn't spent the last thirteen years being a dick to all of your coworkers, maybe they would be nicer to you. I found it odd that when the servants were talking about the open house, Thomas had an honest moment and said he always wondered whether other people were having a better time than he was.

I appreciate that Tom is always trying to keep the peace between Mary and Edith, as well as always inviting Edith along, but I loved that when he asked Edith why she couldn't be happy for Mary, Edith told him that she was as happy for Mary as Mary was for her.

Whenever I have to listen to the pompous Carson conversations with Mrs. Hughes about how everything she does at home is not up to his usual standards, I have to try really hard to remember that it's 1925 and that women were expected to do all the cooking and cleaning. Poor Mrs. Hughes works all day and then has to put up with Carson criticizing her cooking, her bedmaking skills, and condescendingly tell her that coffee is much more of an art than she realizes. My 2015 self wants to tell him that if he likes perfect corners and horseradish with sour cream, he's welcome to do it himself.

• Love 12

Oh God Carson might be the biggest arsehole ever. First that Thomas scenes and then his behaviour towards his wife, honestly I'd have used a pan by now.

That last scene made me cry, I know Thomas is a controversial character. But I find his story very interesting, there was a lot of rejection in his life, that made him how he is, that doesn't mean I don't have a problem with the things he did, there were lots of moments were I wanted to slap him in he face. Like Baxter said to him "you are your worst enemy!" that's why I wish there would be a positive turning point for him, a reason to enjoy his life. And yes homosexuality was a crime during that time, but it is well known that there were relationships possible between same-sex couples, although it was dangerous. Love always finds a way. So Fellowes reason with Thomas storyline are idiotic. Another writer would have found a way.

There are no illusions that Thomas might survive this last series, also because of that RJC interview beforehand.

The Thomas/George scenes were precious.

That Mary/Talbot nonsense is so tiring. No chemistry at all, he always talks about cars. I reckon there must be a car nearby if he want to "get it up". And it seems Tom plays cupid because he likes cars, too.  Or are "cars" a codeword for something?

Bertie Pelham is so lovely and he knows how things work. And he's already "in love" with Lady Mary.*LOL* Even if Mary tells him about Marigold, I don't think it would be that problematic for Edith. He's one of my joys at the moment.

And Evelyn is really beaten. Poor guy, I liked him, but maybe not strong enough for Mary.

• Love 4

This episode made me realize that I don't like Matthew Goode's acting as Henry Talbot. It feels forced and unnatural,

Mr Carson has just become a bully to the nth degree, at home to poor Mrs (Hughes) Carson, and at work to Barrow (Thomas). 

Edited by Lived In Inch
  • Love 2

BTW, did someone notice? Last episode Tom told Mary "Real love means giving someone the power to hurt you" and this episode Mary tells him: "It would really hurt me if I found out that you know something. I would think it a huge betrayal".

Then I noticed that Tom is again making his own case just as well as Henry's when he tells Mary, that Henry can settle down and lead his car business from Downton. 

• Love 3

BTW, did someone notice? Last episode Tom told Mary "Real love means giving someone the power to hurt you" and this episode Mary tells him: "It would really hurt me if I found out that you know something. I would think it a huge betrayal".

Then I noticed that Tom is again making his own case

Couldn't it also hint at Evelyn Napier too? He looked like a kicked puppy!

Let me dream, people. Let me dream.

Also, Brendan Patricks' tweets make me lol. He called himself (Evelyn) Death's Wingman. I can always hope...

I noticed that as well, Andorra, and the way Tom said "Don't say that" I think they both will get hurt. Also when he said "He's nice, he's mad about you, and he likes cars." I was thinking are you talking about Talbot or yourself Tom ;). IMO it also seemed like (when Talbot asked Tom if he wanted to come watch him race) Tom was asking Mary if they could go together, because when she tells him he can go if he wants his whole face is like that is not what I was asking. 

Again this episode they did the whole speak to each other with glances instead of words when Talbot asked if he could walk them home.

Edited by RedWolf
  • Love 1

And yet another thing: "You mean like your car mechanic?" from Edith and Tom says "I'm a mechanic, thank you".

Again Tom is seemingly playing cupid, but he also shows the parallel between him and Talbot. Everything he says in Talbot's favour is a point in his own!

Again this episode they did the whole speak to each other with glances instead of words when Talbot asked if he could walk them home.

Yes, exactly! 

Tom was again able to make Mary change her mind without effort: When Bates wanted to pay for the bill. Is there anyone else from whom she takes such things in the way she does from Tom? She respects him more than any other person on the show.

Then when Mary says she and George are made of sterner stuff and that THEY will remain at Downton, Tom is the one who assures her she will. Not her father, who always was all about "Downton is our legacy" etc. It's Tom who will support her.

Edited by Andorra
  • Love 5

Robert and the Philsopher boy will be one of my favorite scenes ever. It reminded me of in Home Alone when Kevin sits in the church and has the heart to heart about family with the old man galoshes neighbor w the shovel

I love Thomas with all of his faults, he was Born That Way and all of his behavior stems from frustration and anger . He is a smart man with feelings and a lot to offer. If just turns to evil sometimes.

Love Bertie. Edith's star is rising and Mary's is going down if she thinks she can keep that behemoth house going with wars and economic and social change coming.

Loved Mrs Patmore stopping for gossip . Try me then. Too cute.

Henry Talbot looks plastic and wears too much eye makeup. I'm not buying it.

Granny is ON fuego. Storming through a very public display in the Great Hall. I still think Robert is going to mend this by making Downton Abbey a hospital or something similar.

WTH With Larrys fiancée? It is juicy drama and I love it!

• Love 6

Carson ceasing alcohol for himself and Mrs. Hughes because HIS LORD stopped drinking? Are. You. Serious!? My god, I would never have survived back then -- willingly being unctuously subservient to someone because they happened to be born a blue blood? I would've been Bunting X10, and probably murdered for flagrant insubordination.

Edited by Lady Grump
  • Love 8