Type keyword(s) to search

Season One Talk: FFwSB

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The line about the administration being new coke mixed with zima pouring onto a Microsoft Zune playing Jar Jar Binks was one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time.

I loved that, and I loved some of the faces she made while talking to the ACLU guy.

Is anyone else like me, in having kind of a love-hate relationship with this show? Let me explain. I LOVE Sam, love her material, all that. But sometimes I HATE how the show makes me feel, since it pretty much convinces me we're all doomed. I don't have my head in the sand. I read the morning paper, and Slate, and a few other things. I know what's going on. And up to a point, being able to laugh at the catastrophe is cathartic. But after that point, the rapid-fire, unrelenting onslaught-of-fuckedupness-that-is-this-show is just depressing. I'm not sure it activates activism, as much as it activates defeatism, which is a contradiction in terms, but you get my point.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, marina to said:

Wasn't the measure being killed on American soil?

I am sure what they meant is no Americans were killed on US soil by people from those countries as part of terrorist action. But i believe they said 0 people from those countries have been responsible for killing  americans since 1975. Which not only forgets both Iraq wars, but also means that no immigrants from those countries have been convicted of murder or manslaughter. Just the way the sentence was worded bugged me and in a normal political situation probably  would have been something for Sam to make fun of.

Milburn Stone--I do get your point, and respect it, but am glad for Sam's approach.  She actually pushes my anger into action, and I need that.

Things cannot be business as usual...."democracy will win out in the end"....let him/them have a chance....

I Think that their chaos is intentional and part of a planned , systemic upheaval  to our system of government from which there'll be no turning back if they are allowed to succeed. 

So to Sam et al, keep pouring it on! 

• Love 6

Is anyone else like me, in having kind of a love-hate relationship with this show? Let me explain. I LOVE Sam, love her material, all that. But sometimes I HATE how the show makes me feel, since it pretty much convinces me we're all doomed.

I'm right there with you, and I expressed something similar right after the election, when I didn't even know if I'd be able to watch this show anymore. I am still feeling so shell-shocked, and mortified by the results of the election, and the only way I can cope is to go about my life trying not to think about it. Shows like this only make me relive and face the horror of it all over again. 

I find I can still watch the show, and it somewhat helps to validate my feelings. But whereas I used to watch every episode twice, I can only bear to watch each one the one time now. And it remains to be seen whether I will be able to continue doing even that. Probably depends a lot on where we go from here, and whether I sense people are just falling back into a complacency about things or if shows like this are helping to energize activists and make a change.

• Love 3

Sam's right though.  I think almost everyone would rather have Bernie, or even Ted over rump.

I guess I'm going to have to find Tapper's interview with Conway, because I'd love to see him yell "false!" in her face multiple times.

Edited by Hanahope

Who is that Scottish correspondent? She's a real keeper. I loved the whole segment. That farmer is not the first to suggest that Trump's downfall will be his own ego because he's so thin skinned every little criticism drives him insane. 

• Love 4

The show helps me more than it hurts me, because I'm already worked up, and having Sam express it feels like a relief. Otherwise, I feel isolated with my feelings, as the people around me are all kind of blah. Even when they agree with me about stuff, they aren't very passionate, and act like me feeling strongly about anything is improper (not just politics! any kind of intense emotion or enthusiasm or outrage or joy is somehow a no no to the current crop of people I'm surrounded by, it's like they're all turned way down to a low emotional setting). So Sam makes me feel like I have company and reminds me that I'm not the only person left on the planet who's not mild mannered and overly modulated and possibly very repressed.

Also, someone told me the show raised $600,000 for Planned Parenthood with the "Nasty Woman" shirts, so I don't think it's all talk/no action. She also does things like reminding viewers of the importance of voting in local and midterm elections.

But if it makes you more depressed and less likely to act, I think it's very reasonable to not watch!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Who is that Scottish correspondent? She's a real keeper. I loved the whole segment. That farmer is not the first to suggest that Trump's downfall will be his own ego because he's so thin skinned every little criticism drives him insane. 

That might have been on of my favourite segments this show has done. Really funny and Scottish insults are awesome. I also loved that Amy was pissed about Trump called the Scottish people "Scotch".

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That might have been on of my favourite segments this show has done. Really funny and Scottish insults are awesome. I also loved that Amy was pissed about Trump called the Scottish people "Scotch".

11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

She is Amy Hoggart, who was in the short-lived Almost Royal where she played a dim distant cousin of the English royal family.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3727552/

Great comedienne who deserves more exposure.

• Love 1