Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
AndySmith

Retro Y&R: When the Restless Were Also Young

Recommended Posts

A very early clip of Kay and Jill...and Jill's first time in the mausoleum! Still interesting to see. Also, funny to see Kay light up a cigarette!

 

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

21 hours ago, Camille said:

It was fall of 2002. Despite having cheated on Christine with Isabella, as well as gotten her pregnant and married her, Paul went to Christine's place to rail at her for getting engaged to Michael, ignoring the numerous times she told him to leave. At some point, he began kissing her, and although she initially responded, she pulled away and AGAIN, clearly told him that she wanted him to leave--in other words, "NO". He threw her onto the bed and the last thing we saw was him pinning her arms back in response to her trying to push him off of her. The next scene was of her lying in bed huddled under the covers while he was getting dressed and tearfully apologizing.

The writers tried to present it as ambiguous, but Paul himself declared to his brother  "I raped her".

I never understood how it was resolved, but as always, it fell to the woman to absolve the man of his actions.

Jeez...well, at least they actually called it what it was and didn't excuse it. 

I'm assuming he came there to remind Cricket about what a dastardly demon Michael once was towards her, which makes this all the more ironic and horrid. Geez, was William Bell still running the show then? Who put this to air? 😡😑

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

I'm assuming he came there to remind Cricket about what a dastardly demon Michael once was towards her, which makes this all the more ironic and horrid

Yes, the hypocrisy was mind-blowing. He cheats on her and has left her for the other woman, but heaven forbid SHE move on with her life, although he had a point about the sickness of her hooking up with Michael.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Although, I was always under the vague impression that Isabella had tricked him into that marriage or something. I only casually watched back then, but I remember the end of it when she went batshit. Was that a character rewrite just to be rid of her off the show?

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Anna Yolei said:

Although, I was always under the vague impression that Isabella had tricked him into that marriage or something

Somewhat. At some point during the affair, Isabella walked into MICHAEL's office and that's when the audience learned that the two of them were in cahoots to break up Paul and Christine's marriage. That said, even though Paul only married her because she was pregnant, I don't think that she did that to trap him. Paul was enraged to learn about hers and Michael's conspiracy and walked out on her, and that's when she went off the deep end.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/28/2020 at 12:51 AM, Camille said:

The writers tried to present it as ambiguous, but Paul himself declared to his brother  "I raped her".

Shows will never learn.  Even after they got grief from what happened with Malcolm and Dru.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Not an old storyline, but a bunch of the cast appearing on Phil Donahue's show in 1993. It was fun seeing the cast needle Kimberlin Brown when she was trying to be as diplomatic as possible when asked which show she preferred, Y&R or B&B...fun interview all around.

 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Shows will never learn.  Even after they got grief from what happened with Malcolm and Dru.

And this is why the genre's been on life support for the last 15 years. 😐

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Shows will never learn.  Even after they got grief from what happened with Malcolm and Dru.

No, they won't. Luke and Laura wasn't understandable even in the less politically correct late-70's/early-80's, so it was stunning to see Y&R play out something like this in 2002. Even worse, it wasn't the only show to have a storyline like this. Soap Opera Digest named "Romanticizing Rape" as the worst trend of the year, yet four years later, we get a vaguely similarly scenario on B&B with Brooke and Ridge.

Edited by Camille
  • Like 2
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Camille said:

No, they won't. Luke and Laura wasn't understandable even in the less politically correct late-70's/early-80's, so it was stunning to see Y&R play out something like this in 2002. Even worse, it wasn't the only show to have a storyline like this. Soap Opera Digest named "Romanticizing Rape" as the worst trend of the year, yet four years later, we get a vaguely similarly scenario on B&B with Brooke and Ridge.

Could've also sworn somewhere between those two points, ATWT had a story about Jack Synder getting taken advantage of by Julia and Craig openly mocks him about what happened.

It didn't stop in the 2000s, though. Liam has been raped twice on that hot garbage ass B&B, the last time being just last summer by Steffy's psychotic brother slipping him molly so he'd have sex with her. Said brother had conceived a child under similarly suspect circumstances with his father's girlfriend back in 2015.

I hate this genre so very much for refusing to move on from this trope. I will put up with all the triangles and doppelgangers in the world to never see that ever again.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Anna Yolei said:

Could've also sworn somewhere between those two points, ATWT had a story about Jack Synder getting taken advantage of by Julia and Craig openly mocks him about what happened.

It didn't stop in the 2000s, though. Liam has been raped twice on that hot garbage ass B&B, the last time being just last summer by Steffy's psychotic brother slipping him molly so he'd have sex with her. Said brother had conceived a child under similarly suspect circumstances with his father's girlfriend back in 2015.

Yes, the prevalence of Female On Male rape stories disgusts me also. Even if the guy eventually realizes that he was drugged or gotten drunk, he still doesn't see himself as an assault victim and still berates himself for having cheated on his wife/girlfriend. Right on this very show there was a recent example of this with Cane and Juliet.

The Jack/Julia story actually deserves a little bit of credit for how it was handled--there's never any question about what she did to him, Jack is genuinely shaken up and his fiancée never blames him for it. It's one of the few examples of this trope to be handled somewhat decently.

Edited by Camille
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I’m excited for this next week.  It’s as close to my “Teen Scene” theme week wish as I’m gonna get and I’m fine with that!  Bring on the pool parties and BBQ’s!

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I read Summer and thought it was about supergirl, lol. Thankfully they mean the season, not the Newman. 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

It’s August 2003. I don’t remember blonde-blonde Heather Tom. I have no memory of a Benjamin Watkins from the opening credits. Although, I do remember watching this episode where Isabella (spoiler alert) tries to kill Christine. I remember thinking I can’t believe they’re getting rid of this beautiful actress and we’ll never hear from her again. Boy! Was I wrong. LOL!!!!

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

The rape/romance stories (sickeningly refered to a forced seduction) gotta go -- M/F - F/M - M/M whatever. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

25 minutes ago, crowsworks said:

The rape/romance stories (sickeningly refered to a forced seduction) gotta go -- M/F - F/M - M/M whatever. 

 

You got that right. It's always been insulting. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Here is a good scene with (blonde) Victoria and Neil.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Kind of disappointing that they only go back as far as 1994...you’d think they’d kick things off with Victor and Nikki’s first wedding from the 1980s.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Kind of disappointing that they only go back as far as 1994...you’d think they’d kick things off with Victor and Nikki’s first wedding from the 1980s.

I think they may have covered that during "romance" or "wedding" week.

I'm beginning to wish they would keep airing these vintage episodes and not bother resuming production.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

16 minutes ago, Camille said:

I think they may have covered that during "romance" or "wedding" week.

I'm beginning to wish they would keep airing these vintage episodes and not bother resuming production.

If only they used some contained story lines. These one offs are driving me nuts.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

From what I've seen in the Canada day ahead thread Monday will be fun... 😆

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

They've already shown David Kimble, right? That was probably the biggest OMG moment. Colleen dying. Shelia shenanigans. Sperm stealing. The biggest OMG moment would be a scene where Victor's speech was understandable. 

(thick German accent)

"YOU GOT THAT!?"

That reminds me of an episode I was watching where the close captioning stated "Victor mumbles incoherently" and I thought "As opposed to. . .?"

Edited by Camille
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, pearlite said:

I for one will be really glad of new episodes, no matter how mediocre. Bathing in memory is not my thing.

It was a fun diversion for a while. Who wants to start a pool on which cast member tests positive for the 'Rona first?

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It was a fun diversion for a while. Who wants to start a pool on which cast member tests positive for the 'Rona first?

Actually, since I don't watch B&B, I'm wondering what shows will look like now?

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, pearlite said:

Actually, since I don't watch B&B, I'm wondering what shows will look like now?

It's a little weird.  The distance between characters is palpable, and the "intimacy" scenes are clumsy.  I think it would be less distracting if they would just acknowledge the pandemic within the show's universe.

I liked the retrospective, for the most part.  A few of the episode choices were odd.  The randomness of it all grew tiresome.  I often wanted to see the episode that followed the episode we just saw.  It seems to me that Kay Alden was the writer who came closest to Bill Bell's style.  Her episodes were pretty tight.         

 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/2/2020 at 6:48 PM, babyhouseman said:

They've already shown David Kimble, right? That was probably the biggest OMG moment. Colleen dying. Shelia shenanigans. Sperm stealing. The biggest OMG moment would be a scene where Victor's speech was understandable. 

They showed his death but not the KILLER reveal which would have been a good one for this week.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size