Type keyword(s) to search

Retro Y&R: When the Restless Were Also Young

• Start Topic

A good place to discuss old school Y&R, from the 1970s to lets say...the early 2000s. Classic characters, scenes, storylines, couples, feuds, etc. Its all open for discussion.

Also, thanks to Anna Yolei for the episode title ;)

I always enjoyed this scene.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 6

My favorite classic clips are "have a seat!"

And when JT saved Colleen.

I became a y&r fan late (2012 or 2013) after all the good shit. My fave character was Kay so it really sucked for me. She had so little to do and then she passed and it hurt. Then my other faves the show took shits on like Adam, Jack, Phyllis, & Sharon. People kept telling me y&r was good in the nineties but I was still focused on my other soaps till they all got cancelled. Now the ones left are pale shadows of themselves.

• Love 8

The budget & production values kicked the ass off.

JC / Kay had a way of delivering a line or look or laugh that conveyed so much. I would know watching; this was woman who was RICH, had power, and yet was had her own flaws and fears. She only gave glimpses of it. I really liked JCs acting.

• Love 11

The great thing about the show back then (and soaps in general) was the showrunners and writers knew how to write for the long run. And Bill Bell really got this. He gave us one the best feuds ever, the one between Jill and Kay. And he knew if you want to have a good feud, you need to give it a good foundation to stand on. Something current writers don't quite get. Here are 2 moments which really sum up the Jill and Kay feud, flashbacks both characters have. You really understand why these 2 ladies hated each other for as long as they did.

Oh and Petunia13, for me, this scene features Kay at one of her most vulnerable moments:

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 5

This is the real Smiling Jack. Up to something and none of this "I want to be John Abbott" BULLSHIT. Look at Peter's swagger. sigh. (Also, Sharon made such an elegant to wife to Jack.)

• Love 4
(edited)

Jack and Victor's feud also goes back a long way...all the way back to Terry Lester's Jack:

The looks on Jack and Nikki's faces at the end are priceless.

And if you really want to get retro:

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 4

I still maintain Sheila was the best Y&R villain in the history of the show. Or at least in the 20 on and off years I've been watching.

I'm kind of torn between Sheila and David Kimball. He was a pretty fun villain, but not quite as menacing as Sheila.

It's a little depressing watching these videos. It just emphasizes how shitty the show is today.

• Love 7

I loved Terry Lester. He's the reason I started watching. I still can't believe I love his replacement. I thought he was irreplaceable. Terry and Peter are two of the best actors daytime has seen IMO.

I wasn't a fan of MTS until very recently. But I used to enjoy Terry Lester and EB. TL played it funny. The dynamic of the rivalry changed considerably when PB arrived. I have a feeling Bill Bell saw that the animosity between EB and PB translated well onscreen and their rivalry went dark fast.

• Love 2

I'm kind of torn between Sheila and David Kimball. He was a pretty fun villain, but not quite as menacing as Sheila.

It's a little depressing watching these videos. It just emphasizes how shitty the show is today.

I only vaguely remember the David Kimball story line. Didn't he fall into a vat or something and die?

Sheila, on the other hand, is much more vivid in my mind. I was sad when they went the plastic surgery route with her later on. Did the actress no longer want to be on the show?

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 3

I always wondered if Genoa City Hospital kept a special staff on call just to break up fights there. There were quite a few, no? Besides Tracy and Lauren, Sheila and Lauren had a famous one there too.

• Love 1

I still maintain Sheila was the best Y&R villain in the history of the show. Or at least in the 20 on and off years I've been watching.

I miss Sheila.

Not so much the character herself, but villains like her that were smart and calculating, with stories that were built over time and not burned through in six weeks. And she was more complicated than most of the show's villains today(or villians passing off as heroes, Victor).

I only vaguely remember the David Kimball story line. Didn't he fall into a vat or something and die?

Sheila, on the other hand, is much more vivid in my mind. I was sad when they went the plastic surgery route with her later on. Did the actress no longer want to be on the show?

I think it was something along those lines, actually. By then, the writing was godawful and her last apperance on B&B before returning here as MS!Sheila had left a sour taste in many's mouths.
  • Love 6
On 14/02/2016 at 4:26 PM, miamama said:

Thanks, AndySmith.

These are fun. And sad because show bears no resemblance to this any more. :(

This is how I feel.. they are great to see but also horrible to see what has happened to our once great show.

• Love 4
(edited)

For any of you OLTL fans*, Andrea Evans played Patty Williams on the show from 1983 to 1984, the third actress to do so.

*I suppose also for any Tawny Moore (aka Amber's mother) fans as well ;)

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 4

Look how elaborate that set is. Nowadays they get married in Chancellor Park and serve hot dogs for refreshments. And the wedding is always in conjunction with some other event like a baby christening or a memorial service. Ugh.

• Love 5

Family gatherings?  Troubled pothead teenager?  BOR-ING.  Oil rigs and pipelines being remotely cyber-sabotaged is edgy and hip!

I think if, after BM left, they had taken a short Billy-break (like 6 months or so), DT would have stepped back into the role more easily and it wouldn't have been so jarring.  He's really good in this clip.    

• Love 4

Christmas Party at the Chancellor Mansion with Billy, JT, Mac, Raul, Brittany.

Thad Luckinbill looks soooo young here!!

Ashley takes Victoria to get an AIDS test after she has sex with Ryan. LOL!

• Love 2