Type keyword(s) to search

Pretty Little Liars in the Media

HOLY COW, I know we're spoiled as hell when it comes to how little we wait for each season, compared to pretty much any other show ever, BUT CAN JUNE BE HERE ALREADY?? That promo looks glorious and everything I've heard in regards to the first ten episodes of season 6 sounds amazing.

Remember how some of us used to talk about wanting an episode from A's pov of the Night of a Thousand hours (or whatever we called the night Ali didn't die)? Well, it looks like we're getting something better: A reenacting it with the girls.

i gotta give this show props, because sure it isn't perfect, but 6+ seasons in, I'm excited as hell!

• Love 2

Pretty Little Liars Season 6 Premiere Synopsis: “Game on, Charles”

Moments after where the Season 5 finale left off, Aria, Emily, Hanna, Spencer, and Mona are trapped outside of Charles’ Dollhouse with nowhere to go and must now deal with an angry tormentor. Just when the Liars thought Charles couldn’t get any worse, his games take a more demented and darker turn. As the girls struggle to survive, the puzzle of Charles’ story begins to come together.

Meanwhile, Ezra, Caleb and Toby continue the fight to find the girls with or without Rosewood P.D.’s help.

• Love 1
(edited)

Three bonus features from the S5 DVDs (the very first sentence of the first one had me simultaneously rolling my eyes and cracking up - bonus: we get to see Aria's pink cat sweater again!):

S5 recap:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

YESS the return of the kitten sweater!!

Why did the season 5b recap spend like a 3rd of the time on ezzzzzria? 

also found this: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/pretty-little-liars-season-6-set-visit-secrets-spoilers?utm_term=.lwyLNLWJK#.djzBD0vv2k

Made me so sad!! IM NOT READY for this show to end...but also its definitely time. I lolled at marlene saying she could "sense some frustration" among the fans. hahaha

Some more short featurettes from the S5 DVDs:

This interview with the cast is mostly about the S6 premiere and it's totally worth it just for the SPOBY shirts. The host quizzed each of them about how well they know each other (mostly how much they pay attention to what the others posted on Twitter) which ended up beign inadvertently funny:

Well if my DVR wasn't programmed to catch it I never would have known it was back on. It was a nice surprise but it snuck up on me. Maybe others too? Just trying to be positive because I actually liked the new ep better than I have in a while.

The show has been on for six seasons, it's really not that surprising that it's losing viewers. 

Totally to be expected.  PLL is one of those shows where by now you pretty much have to seen the previous eppys to understand it.  It's not going to gain a significant amount of new viewers at this point.  It can only go down, not up.

Breaking Bad has a different backstory. It started out not too popular and was actually almost cancelled, then netflix picked it up and word got around it was a great show. 

PLL is a mystery series, and it's currently at a closing point. And regardless, most shows peak around the third season. 

(edited)

Someone put together al the scenes about Sara Harvey from 4x14 in case anyone wants a refresher about the new girl!

Gosh, these girls are so ridiculous and overdramatic!!! "Everything she gave you she took two things away, I'm so tired of being Sarah's friend, it sucks the life out of you"... Ahahahahahaha seriously??? Am I supposed to be empathic towards these people? How hard would it be to stop talking to her and making brand-new friends if she treats you like shit? I'm sure EVERYONE has done so at some point: those friendships that just don't seem to work or were never that meaningful to last once whatever activity/hobby you guys shared (such as ballet classes, piano lessons, high school or college) is over you leave behind and move on!

They act like they signed a contract or something, like someone is pointing a gun at their heads forcing them to be plastered to their abuser's side for the rest of their lives!!! Ahahahahaha I'm so fed up with this trite way of portraying adolescent friendships on movies and Tv shows (as if they were the center of the universe to those involved, health, family, school grades, romance and everything else be damned) that does not mirror real life AT ALL!!! If you factor in that the actresses portraying these girls are almost 30, it just gest even more preposterous!

There, I said! :-)

Edited by Giuliano Lanzilli
  • Love 1

But teenagers do think they are the center of the universe! They see the world through their problems. Once they stop doing that and they realize that the world is bigger than them, is the moment they grow up!

(edited)

But teenagers do think they are the center of the universe! They see the world through their problems. Once they stop doing that and they realize that the world is bigger than them, is the moment they grow up!

You didn't get what I meant: obviously they might think their problems are bigger than or at least as big as anyone else's, but I don't know of ANY teenager who would be willing to stay in an abusive friendship for any reason at all, and neither do you! Abusive relationship? Maybe unfortunately, but certainly not friendship! Why would I be friends with a bitch that treats me like garbage every waking minute when I'M AWARE of that? Now if I were unable to realize it, if I were completely brainwashed by said person, that might be a different story, but CONSCIOUSLY keeping on being friends with someone that is not worthy of my time where I could be making friends elsewhere? No!

The same applies to the four main girls and Alison: I could understand one of them being in awe of her because she felt like an outcast and wanted to fit in the "popular posse", but ALL OF THEM PLUS THE WHOLE FREAKING TOWN being bossed around by a teenager? That is laughable to say the least!

I'm also particulary bitter because this is the umpteenth case where the US media depicts female friendhsips as if they were a matter of life and death! I don't know how it really is in the States but it seems that being popular is EVERYTHING over there! In Italian high schools you're popular when you're well-known for participating in school activities or for being one of the best players in the school volleyball team or for dating many people within the same building or something along those lines. But if you're not WHO THE HELL CARES? You're more than free to project a "lower-profile" image of yourself out there or make friends from other schools. Again, who cares?

In US tv shows, on the other hand, girls act like this "OMG you're so popular! I admire you so much! Please tell me how to achieve that! I would be willing to give you one of my kidneys, to jump off a balcony, to cut myself or to let you torment me for years on end if that's what it takes to get on your good side and get you teach me how to be popular"! Do you think that's normal? It might be normal in the US (I don't know and if anyone is from over there they're more than welcome to chime in and enlighten me on how real life is like there), but I just think it's extremely far-fetched and unrealistic!

Even Mona, at the end of season 2 finale (if I'm remembering correctly), when she spotted Alison dressed as Red Coat spying on A, said "Your secret's safe with me as long as... you teach me how to be popular!" Ahahahahaah I thought she was gonna ask for some money! Come on, tell me that's not BEYOND ridiculous!

• Love 1

On the subject of declining ratings - the following should be thrown out there...

The landscape of how people watch television shows has changed so rapidly the last few years that the ratings are themselves becoming less of a relevant part of the larger picture.  People may still be watching - but the how and when could be different.

(edited)

You didn't get what I meant: obviously they might think their problems are bigger than or at least as big as anyone else's, but I don't know of ANY teenager who would be willing to stay in an abusive friendship for any reason at all, and neither do you!

As a high school teacher, I can tell you straight up that I know exactly 150 teenagers who would. High schoolers can be terrible people. They either don't realize how terrible they are (most of them) or they do and they just don't care (the Alisons of the school). There are plenty of reasons they stay in these friendships, but popularity is sometimes far more important than self-worth at this age. I mean, who else will they sit with at lunch? The Alisons of the school are also able to trick teachers and administration into fawning all over them. I have a coworker who is known for playing favorites and her favorites are all insanely popular mean girls. Another coworker of mine ignores students if they aren't high on the social ladder. They just have a way of reeling you in. The show is actually very accurate when it comes to this.

On the subject of high schoolers and ratings, I know of a few people who were just done after what they pulled in the finale. We could also attribute it to the fact that everyone knows there are two years left and with the way they've gone, that's two years of wasted time. Viewers can be fickle anyway, so there's no real way to tell why ratings dropped.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 5
(edited)

As a high school teacher, I can tell you straight up that I know exactly 150 teenagers who would. High schoolers can be terrible people. They either don't realize how terrible they are (most of them) or they do and they just don't care (the Alisons of the school). There are plenty of reasons they stay in these friendships, but popularity is sometimes far more important than self-worth at this age. I mean, who else will they sit with at lunch? The Alisons of the school are also able to trick teachers and administration into fawning all over them. I have a coworker who is known for playing favorites and her favorites are all insanely popular mean girls. Another coworker of mine ignores students if they aren't high on the social ladder. They just have a way of reeling you in. The show is actually very accurate when it comes to this.

Then, what can I say? I'm just glad I attended the best kind of school in Italy (Classical Lyceum) where the workload is so big and intimidating and the students so "carefully selected" that these unpleasant phenomenons are pretty non-existent (as opposed to technological/professional institutes where the majority of people is made up of slackers who, as a result, tend to turn into bullies)!

You didn't get what I meant: obviously they might think their problems are bigger than or at least as big as anyone else's, but I don't know of ANY teenager who would be willing to stay in an abusive friendship for any reason at all, and neither do you! Abusive relationship? Maybe unfortunately, but certainly not friendship! Why would I be friends with a bitch that treats me like garbage every waking minute when I'M AWARE of that? Now if I were unable to realize it, if I were completely brainwashed by said person, that might be a different story, but CONSCIOUSLY keeping on being friends with someone that is not worthy of my time where I could be making friends elsewhere? No!

The same applies to the four main girls and Alison: I could understand one of them being in awe of her because she felt like an outcast and wanted to fit in the "popular posse", but ALL OF THEM PLUS THE WHOLE FREAKING TOWN being bossed around by a teenager? That is laughable to say the least!

I'm also particulary bitter because this is the umpteenth case where the US media depicts female friendhsips as if they were a matter of life and death! I don't know how it really is in the States but it seems that being popular is EVERYTHING over there! In Italian high schools you're popular when you're well-known for participating in school activities or for being one of the best players in the school volleyball team or for dating many people within the same building or something along those lines. But if you're not WHO THE HELL CARES? You're more than free to project a "lower-profile" image of yourself out there or make friends from other schools. Again, who cares?

In US tv shows, on the other hand, girls act like this "OMG you're so popular! I admire you so much! Please tell me how to achieve that! I would be willing to give you one of my kidneys, to jump off a balcony, to cut myself or to let you torment me for years on end if that's what it takes to get on your good side and get you teach me how to be popular"! Do you think that's normal? It might be normal in the US (I don't know and if anyone is from over there they're more than welcome to chime in and enlighten me on how real life is like there), but I just think it's extremely far-fetched and unrealistic!

Even Mona, at the end of season 2 finale (if I'm remembering correctly), when she spotted Alison dressed as Red Coat spying on A, said "Your secret's safe with me as long as... you teach me how to be popular!" Ahahahahaah I thought she was gonna ask for some money! Come on, tell me that's not BEYOND ridiculous!

I honestly wouldn't know as I'm all the way from Lebanon.

But from what I hear it really is kind of like that in the US. Actually, my experience wasn't all that different. I went to a catholic school and the girls were just terrible. I wasn't bullied or anything, but I was picked on for not being interested in being part of any cliques. And the less popular girls did dream of being like the popular ones, like, they would have done anything for that.

In terms of the show, I think it has been established since season 1 that girls are no longer popular. They were the talk of the school and the entire town because they were 'those' girls who were friends with Ali, then those girls who claimed Ian killed Ali and tried to kill Spencer, then the girls who claimed Garret killed Ali etc etc etc...

About the liars being friends with Ali although she treated them badly, I think Ali was a very compelling character in the first few seasons. She was mean, but also she had a way of making them feel important so I get how it took them such a long time to be able to break free from her.

Surprisingly enough, Hannah was the first one to do so way back in season 2, when she imagined Ali sitting in a chair and talked to her at Dr. Sullivan's office. I think Hannah was the first to do this because Ali had hurt her the most.

The rest of the liars did that too. Which is why I think it's only now that they can have a real grounded friendship. If they are to be friends with Ali again, she will no longer be their Queen Bee or anything, she'll just be their friend who is allowed to say her opinion without stating it as the ultimate truth.

What Emily said in the dollhouse is true, they are not the same people they were 3 years ago, and -more importantly- neither is Ali.

Anyway, should we take this to another thread? I'm not sure the media thread is the right one here...

• Love 1

The deleted scene between Ali and her mom towards the end really makes it seem like Charles is a Ali's long lost brother. Maybe that's why they cut it... it was too obvious? 

• Love 1

Only problem is they had already decided who A is at that point. So maybe Charles is really dead? Or Ali did have 2 brothers and Charles is taking revenge. I don't know anymore!

I was looking up cable shows, and I think PLL had the 5th biggest finale of the season for currently running cablers (in 18-49). Behind Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, American Horror Story, and True Detective. Super impressive, esp for a show that seems so geared towards the younger female quarter of that demo.

Sampling of young adult nets' offerings last night:

PLL 1.8 mil, 0.8
Teen Wolf: 1.2 mil, 0.5
Scream: 1.0 mil, 0.5

Stitchers: 0.8 mil, 0.3

Still looking quite good. 

• Love 2

Phun with Typpos!

Wetpaint.com (which regularly writes about PLL) has an article about how some fans are at the point where they've become frustrated enough with the show to finally stop watching. ( http://www.wetpaint.com/2015-07-16-pretty-little-liars-are-you-done-with-the-show/) Got a huge bellylaugh out of this from the concluding paragraph:

Being part of a fandom is about more than just liking or disliking the show. It is about discussing and obsessing and caring enough that you are critical when it sucks and excitedly acknowledging when it does something write.

Why do i get the feeling that Aria was the righter of this article?

• Love 4

Maybe they mean acknowledging when the show actually writes a coherent storyline? That is a rare occurrence that gets people excited. Of course that is usually taken away in the next few episodes. 

Ignoring the typos. For me when the show starts sucking and no longer gets me excited about watching it. I will stop watching it. Being a fan doesn't mean I ignore that for 6 seasons this show has gone nowhere. It used to be fun thinking of theories but even that got tiring because nothing makes any sense. They have had way too many red herrings, false accusations, and most importantly reveals that were quickly turned around. Nothing matters anymore, nothing sticks. It stopped being fun and started becoming annoying. That's why I no longer watch this show. 

• Love 1

The Chinese food full of worms was my favorite. Presumably the girls ordered that food for delivery. How did A intercept it and replace the food with dirt and worms? Did the girls not even think to call the restaurant and be like, hey, who accepted our order? Or did A call and cancel the order and then fix up the worm containers? Did they have the Chinese food containers just sitting around because they planned to do this worm thing someday, or did they rush out and get some and dig up some worms in a half hour?

• Love 3

Ha, my guess is that the Chinese food delivery won't be part of #Summerofanswers, much to my chagrin. I could buy the cereal box filled with As but the Chinese food and the worms required more preparation/planning since A would need to have the worms on standby while waiting for the day that they order Chinese food. And did A intercept the delivery guy to replace the containers? Did A get a part time job at the Chinese restaurant in the expectation that one day the girls would order food? SO MANY QUESTIONS FOR THE SUMMER OF ANSWERS.

• Love 6

My favorite was the cereal box full of the letter A. So A meticulously removed all the non-A letters in how many boxes to make sure Emily would pick one?

• Love 1

Why was Aria surprised that A knew they were all gonna be in the science lab at the exact same time? I know, A had chipped them, but then again, hasn't A ALWAYS been able to track their every move and know exactly where they were at all times all along, even before implanting the chips? And why do they keep referring to A as if it were a girl ("Bitch chipped us!") when that's clearly been established countless times A is a guy???

(edited)

Just saw this on the PLL Facebook:

This is what you will find out on the PLL summer finale August 11! 

- Who killed Toby’s mother?
- Who hit Alison in the head with the rock the night she went missing?
- Who is Red Coat?
- Who killed Bethany?
- Who is the Black Widow?
- Why has A been targeting the PLLs all this time?
After years of torture, Alison, Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer finally come ‪#‎FaceToFace‬ with A!
Edited by luvly
So #SummerofAnswers is going to be #EpisodeofAnswers? Should we start taking bets as to how many people are involved in the above answers?

Considering how underwhelming the Summer of Answers has been so far my guess is that there will be as many answers in the #EpisodeofAnswers as there have been so far in the #SummerofAnswers -- practically zero.  And any answers given will just be misleading or outright false.  My expectations from these writers is pretty low.

• Love 3

Are all of these reveals in the summer finale, or are we finding anything out (A's identity?) in next week's? I'm definitely going to set up a "liveblog" thread for us so we can all react to the finale in real time, but should we have one the week before, too?

(edited)

You guys need to hear this podcast with Troian! Just as a tease, she talks, among other things, about how she has difficulty dealing with Spencer jumping from one suspect to the next and literally goes: "Gaaaag" when Ian Harding and Lucy Hale read an Ezria scene at the table read. That's just the first 7 minutes! She talks the most hilarious stuff about Ezria at 34 min. on. including the paper bags scene and half-naked Ezra at Christmas. She also talks about playing Spoby as though something is broken between them after Toby joined the A-team. And I can die happy now.

ETA: "Awesome for Toby!"

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 5

I think she said she calls him "Ossifer Toby," which made me laugh. I will never get tired of hearing her talk about her issues with the Ezria and Spoby relationships. I also wasn't surprised to hear that she loves the recent Spencer/Hanna team-ups as much as I do!

That was a great interview. I love how much she remembers about the show. Often when you listen to interviews with actors, it's like they've forgotten everything that happened on their show two seasons ago, but these guys only have to say the season number to Troian and she knows exactly which arc they're talking about, the episode titles, and often the writer and director of a specific episode. That's impressive for a normal show; it's even more impressive with a complicated one like this.

• Love 2