Type keyword(s) to search

Pretty Little Liars in the Media

After watching the promo, I really can't wait for season 5 to start.  I know I am going to hate myself for saying that in June when season 5 actually starts and the first episode is forty minutes of filler and only five of anything meaningful happening but for right know I am excited.

• Love 1

I know the ABC Family promo monkeys are just messing with me but for the next week and a half, I'm going to sit back and pretend I might get to live in a world where Ezra flatlines and dies.

It's lovely here, the sky is pink.

• Love 4

Kariyaki, may I join you? :-)

I've missed PLL so much. Sure I only understand about 10% of what is happening onscreen at the time and need a rewatch to comprehend wth is happening and why. I find Ali to be such a hateful person that I was quite annoyed when we found out she was actually alive. Can't wait for the season to start!

Not sure if anyone else watches this show, but "The Writer's Room" on Sundance Channel just had an episode with Pretty Little Liars.  There was no discussion, however, of the total and utter lack of decent men in the town of Rosewood.

(edited)

I knew it would come back for S6, but I'm surprised they're already picking it up for S7.

That's actually a really long tenure for a serialized cable drama. Dexter's the only one I can think of that had 8. The Closer 7, True Blood 7, The Wire 5, Mad Men 7, Sopranos 6, The L Word 6, Oz 6, Six Feet Under 5.

Hour-longs Monk and Psych had 8 but are officially labeled as comedies. And since PLL runs a broadcast-length season, it would dwarf them in number of episodes. It could be about 170, vs. their 120somethings. Oh wait...one *could* count Stargate SG-1, but it had 5 seasons on Showtime and 5 on SyFy, which makes two different runs.

And given how often fans complain about how slowly the show moves, this just gives the writers more freedom to have nothing really happen except like twice a cycle or so.

However...it's averaging above a 1.0 in 18-49 and I'm pretty sure this season is the first time that it beat all CW shows. While their other shows are doing far worse. So business-wise, it does make sense. 

Edited by jjjmoss

Well SG-1 was a mostly episodic show. It had season and series arcs and cliffhangers but most of its episodes are fairly self contained, that might be one of the reasons it lasted so long.

I’m not surprised it was renewed for S6 but I’d hoped 6 would be the last and they’d announce that now so we have a count down to the Series Finale and the writers can plan for it, like LOST etc. Can’t argue with the ratings for it, but I wonder if they’ll still be as good after another 2 years of stretching this thing out?

(edited)
Can’t argue with the ratings for it, but I wonder if they’ll still be as good after another 2 years of stretching this thing out?

Once Troian hits menopause, I think it will be time to shut it down -- I'm kidding, but she will be 31 and still playing a teenager by the time Season 7 wraps. Unless they decide to extend it with PLL: The College Years.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
(edited)

It's funny that it looks like the show is repeating the books' route.

The series was originally over with book 8; the author even said in her acknowledgements "It’s with a heavy heart that I write the acknowledgments for the last book in the Pretty Little Liars series." But then because the show was way more popular than expected, her publisher threw a bunch of money at her, and now it's twice as long as she conceived it to be. Leading to lots of running around in circles.

I would say the show organically only really had material for about 4 seasons. There's been tons of running around in circles making no progress towards resolutions. But because it's so popular, the show gets dozens more episodes, and the writers get even more freedom to crawl as slowly as they want. At least TV fans and book fans can relate over being similarly annoyed.

Ratings down about 8% from the last premiere. 2.7 mil & 1.1 demo.

And yet another leadout program looks like a miss: Chasing Life starts with 1.3 mil & 0.5 demo.

Edited by jjjmoss
(edited)

Ugh, I know Us Weekly isn't the standard for journalism but seriously? This got printed? Apparently they don't bother running their copy through grammar check. Here's a hint, Us Weekly: that little squiggly line underneath means it's incorrect.

Blackburn proved there are no hard feelings between Benson and he

His new girlfriend looks a lot like Ashley in that picture. I actually thought it was Ashley at first. I love that the cast members are friends and go on vacation together. I know you don't have to be BFFs with your coworkers but I think it's so adorable that they like each other in real life.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I really loved that interview. Lindsey Shaw is great. I think that's the reason I like Paige. She's been great since Ned's Declassified and everything since then, Aliens in America and the 10 Things I Hate About You tv show that got cancelled way too soon. 

Holly Marie Combs has a reality show in the works.

Prue and Piper are back! Charmed stars Shannon Doherty and Holly Marie Combs will reunite in a new reality TV show called Off The Map: With Shannon and Holly as they travel to across the county on a road trip. E Online reports they will both travel to unknown roads, meet locals and fans will get to vote on the activities they get to do there.

Shannon's statement about the show

"I always wanted to do something in the travel space and really explore America and all its diversity and beauty. To do that with my best friend just makes it that more special."

The show will premiere in 2015 on The Great American Country channel

source

Don't know where else to put this but PLL got a shout out on last nights Rizzoli and Isles and we can thank Norman Buckley for that addition since he directed the episode. He directs both shows and many others from time to time and tweeted that he wanted Jane, Maura and Det. Tanner to team up to solve all the issues in Rosewood. I would pay to see that happen. Angie and Roma with a side of Sasha putting A and her/his minions in there place would be TV awesomeness personified.

In honor of the 100th episode, the cast and the EPs talked about the show's craziest twists at The Hollywood Reporter.

"I'm always blown away by how we can make characters bad and then flip them around and make them good again. I'm very proud of the fact that we convinced our audience that our beautiful, amazing Toby was on the 'A' team [in season two]. I think it's probably [my favorite twist] because we pulled it off. I said to myself, 'We're never going to convince this audience that Toby is bad,' and then I was like, 'We're never going to be able to redeem this character,' but we did. It's fun to say, 'How are we going to do that?' We did it with Ezra too." -- MK

I saw red for a minute there. Seriously woman? I can't even call you a bad writer, because, imo, you're really, really not. I love 90 % of the what you write but what gives?´Why is your blind spot with these two characters so friggin huge??

"When I suddenly was the villain — which was wonderful and I loved it. But then we come to find out that I wasn't necessarily the villain, but just a creeper." 

Bless Ian Harding's soul. That is all.

The 100 best Pretty Little Liars moments chosen by the cast by buzzfeed

This was such a fun read. I love how they asked literally everyone from the crew and I love how all these people at least appear to be genuine fans of the show. There's nothing quite as depressing as a crew who looks down on their own show, even if it's warranted.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1

I really like Ian Harding. You could tell the poor guy absolutely loved being "The creeper." Let's hope he gets to revisit it. 

I take anything Marlene says with a grain of salt. She just speaks out of her ass for interviews because she doesn't want to give anything away. IMO, the show does enough smart things to suggest that they do know what they are doing. And Troian already said they had to change the Toby story line because it was too dark. 

• Love 1
I take anything Marlene says with a grain of salt. She just speaks out of her ass for interviews because she doesn't want to give anything away. IMO, the show does enough smart things to suggest that they do know what they are doing. And Troian already said they had to change the Toby story line because it was too dark.

That's true! I also believe she knows what's she's doing in the majority of the time and I think MK likes to show a strong front at all times (and possibly genuinely doesn't get hang up on the stuff she can't control, like ABC chopping her storylines). There's something to be said about  that attitude because writting for tv must be pretty brutal. You have to do the best you can with the little time you got, then your work has to go through a bunch of people and, if that's not bad enough, you simply can't go back to change this or that or add something to make some new storyline more seemingly or make a past one more polished like you can do with a novel. You just have to keep going and I always remember this Rob Thomas interview where he talked about this and it made me a lot more tolerant when it comes to tv shows.

"There are certain things we haven't paid off yet. I had Spencer steal her sister [Melissa]'s engagement ring to buy Toby a truck so he could get out of Rosewood, so he wouldn't have to work in Rosewood and 'A' wouldn't hurt him, and I thought, 'Dang, no one's shown up with that engagement ring yet!' It's time. It will be paid off later this season."

Now that's intriguing. Not that I care very much about Melissa's ring (although that episode is a classic) but what other things Oliver Goldstick might be referring to, like the infamous "page 5" or "Maya Knew"? Those are on the top of my list.

Charmed stars Shannon Doherty and Holly Marie Combs will reunite in a new reality TV show called Off The Map: With Shannon and Holly as they travel to across the county on a road trip

To heck?

Edited by cuddlingcrowley

I will believe that Marlene and the other writers didn't plan Toby and Ezra's "redemption" in advance... but only after I start believing in Santa Claus too. It is exactly the kind of thing I picture them thinking it would be so dark and edgy and daring. And the anvils that Toby wasn't bad after all started falling before they had had time to adjust to any perceived fan discontent, so I don't believe they suddenly got scared of the shippers either. They never intended to go through with the whole TobiAs thing in the first place.

"I'm always blown away by how we can make characters bad and then flip them around and make them good again. I'm very proud of the fact that we convinced our audience that our beautiful, amazing Toby was on the 'A' team [in season two]. I think it's probably [my favorite twist] because we pulled it off. I said to myself, 'We're never going to convince this audience that Toby is bad,' and then I was like, 'We're never going to be able to redeem this character,' but we did. It's fun to say, 'How are we going to do that?' We did it with Ezra too." -- MK

That's the most hilarious paragraph I've read all day, especially the bolded part. 

What exactly does she think they accomplished? Toby's character was ruined and took Spencer along with him. They didn't really ruin Ezra's character since he was already ruined by being in the dullest forbidden relationship in the history of television. They did manage to turn him into an even bigger creepy, pathetic loser with no life. I guess that's something. However I didn't see any redemption arcs for either of their characters. Caleb had a bigger redemption arc when he was being paid to spy on the girls by Jenna. And that was nowhere near as bad as what Toby and Ezra did. 

• Love 3

I think Ezra's character improved immensely when he finally came out of the closet as an actual undebatable creeper. 

Jack, shows leave their options open so that they can go in different ways. They put some "Toby might not be evil" things in there just in case. The way this storyline was wrapped up...I believe Troian. 

Now Ezra...Ezra's a different animal. First of all, they didn't leave any room for any possible redemption. Second, despite trying..they haven't redeemed him. Although, they still have left a lot of anvils suggesting that Ezra is not good for Aria..so I'm hoping those stick. 

• Love 1
I think Ezra's character improved immensely when he finally came out of the closet as an actual undebatable creeper.

Too bad he still isn't a creep in the main characters' eyes (and probably in the writers' eyes too).

Jack, shows leave their options open so that they can go in different ways. They put some "Toby might not be evil" things in there just in case.

There shouldn't be "just in case" for these kind of storylines, IMO. Before you write a storyline about such a huge betrayal, you need to know if you intend to go through with it to the bitter end. Or if it is all one big "Gotcha!". To me, everything points out to the Toby... thing being the latter. They were extremely careful never to show him doing anything really bad, they were extremely vague about everything regarding his A-team adventures and last but not least, no character has bothered to feel even slightly pissed about the whole thing after 3.24. Even the A-team seems to have taken this "undercover protection" scheme in stride. 

Furthermore, if the network executive or fan pressure had forced Marlene to change the story half-way through, the most natural thing in the world would be to provide more details, so that it would be clear when Toby joined the A-team, how he intended to protect Spencer, whether he achieved that in any way, and how he avoided doing anything really bad. Sure, it was never going to make much sense, but then again, nether does the fact that nobody freaking bothered asking him about any of that. From where I am standing, it just looks like the writers hoped no one would notice how not clever their oh, so clever twist was. Why would Marlene brag about it more than a year later if it was a case of having to change her story? She could have mentioned something else. Seems to me she really believes that characters can change their allegiance at the drop of a hat and this counts as "redemption" somehow. 

Now Ezra...Ezra's a different animal. First of all, they didn't leave any room for any possible redemption

Yet Aria obviously thinks he is a great guy and the other girls pay lip service to the idea that he is a creep, yet keep asking for his help. Seems like a (crappy, stupid and typically Hollywood) redemption arc to me.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 1

Too bad he still isn't a creep in the main characters' eyes (and probably in the writers' eyes too).

Just Aria, pretty much. Spencer and Emily have made it fairly obvious that they think Ezra's pond scum.

I think the last line was actually, "I just won Instagram, bitch." It made me laugh.

Ah, I stand corrected. I also loved the part where Troian saw a flowering bush and was all "That would look so good in Kelvin!"

Seems like Aria and Ezzzzzra do not even need masks now to go to public events as a couple. Realism FTW!

Hanna looks amazing. Emily is showing a lot of boobage. Good to see Paige present too.

Why are we expected to give a damn about Ali's new gang of not so pretty little extras again? 

• Love 1

Based on that preview, it's a PLL Eyes Wide Shut themed Christmas party, complete with stupid Phantom of the Opera style half masks. Give me a break.

Allison has found her new minions to do her bidding, and 'A' is in attendance in the white hood -- who knows maybe 'A' is in fact 'Arrow' in the wackiest crossover in TV history.  Alison DiLaurentis -- you have failed this town/hamlet/whatever, and now you must pay for your crimes. </snark>

• Love 1