Type keyword(s) to search

Broadchurch in the Media

(edited)

I'll come back with a link, but DT and Olivia Colman are confirmed for Broadchurch 2, along with Jodie Whatake, Andrew Buchan an Arthur Darvill. Yay!

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 1

Ugh - Gracepoint (US version) trailer released. O. M. G. It's word for word exactly the same. Why why why did they feel the need to remake it? And David Tennant with an American accent? Very jarring. Do not like.

Ugh - Gracepoint (US version) trailer released. O. M. G. It's word for word exactly the same. Why why why did they feel the need to remake it? And David Tennant with an American accent? Very jarring. Do not like.

What struck me was how so much of the new cast looks exactly like the old cast.  So not only were the scenes and dialogue set up the same way, but the characters are very similarly cast.

David with an American accent is weird, but I didn't think it was bad, just different. But whoever cast Elle...I just don't see her working for me. She's just too, put together if that makes any sense. I don't understand why they are literally remaking the same story though, I thought it would be a totally different case this time around. Changing the killer would only make it not make sense, IMO.

Broadchurch snagged 3 BAFTAs today, Best Drama Series, Best Actress in a Drama for Olivia Colman and Best Supporting Actor in a Drama for David Bradley. Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor won the Audience Appreciation award. 

Broadchurch S2 starts production next week.

Arthur Darvill said the first read through is Thursday.

Peter DeJersey said he'll be back.  (Hmm, what are they going to need SOCO Brian for?)

(edited)

There have been a bunch of pictures of Broadchurch 2 filming around, some of which are fairly spoilery in terms of the time frame of the series

Beth is still pregnant and looks about 6 months or so along.

. I am very ambivalent about spoilers. Part of me wants the fun of seeing it unspoiled in any way the first time when it's available for me - which will likely mean a long wait since I'm in the US. Remaining unspoiled will be particularly difficult once it starts airing in the UK, plus I do love the behind the scenes shots. I don't know - I will likely try to remain as unspoiled as possible. True speculation is OK, though. I still enjoy things even if I'm spoiled, as I was with the first Broadchurch series. I also couldn't stand the suspense for The Escape Artist and read online episode synopses, which I wish I hadn't. I'm going to try to resist for Broadchurch 2. I may have to give up Tumblr for the duration!

Edited by Kathira

Broadchurch 1 was shot in August 2012 and shown in the UK in March 2013. We saw it in the US starting in August 2013. Broadchurch 2 is filming now (June/July 2014) and I expect it will be shown in the UK in the spring of 2015 time frame. So hopefully, we will see it in the US in the summer of 2015. How Gracepoint will affect that is unknown - hopefully they will be seen as two separate shows, so the schedules won't affect each other. I think we can assume that if Gracepoint does reasonably well that they will want to do a second season of that, also. Who knows about a third season for either of them. For Broadchurch, I suspect it's really up to Chris Chibnall, if he thinks he has more stories to tell with those characters.

• Love 1

I hope so, re Gracepoint being seen as a different show. Gracepoint is waiting on renewal news for season 2 (though that decision won't be made till like October earliest, probably).

Re Broadchurch, Chris Chibnall has said he planned the show as a trilogy, so unless the second series does really badly I am confident we will see a third series. But probably not more than that.

Putting the champagne on ice! I'm glad it's less than 2 months away. 

Re the excellent speculation above that it might be released in UK before it premiere's here.  I hadn't realized that could happen. hmmm

Btw did BBCA edit Broadchurch I- & is it different from the version that aired in the U.K.?

If the UK Broadchurch 2 is different, I hope we can somehow access it  here in the USA,  It would be nice if acorn.tv carried the UK version at some point.. Now they don't usually do current shows, so maybe after a time lapse? But they didn't get Broadchurch I yet, so maybe it won't hapen.

Having watched the Gracepoint finale last night, I have to say that the US version wasn't terrible...the ending was pretty good in my view (and to my great surprise).

ETA: Eozostrodon, thanks for the info about the possibility of a trilogy. I'd like to be a long-running show, at least as long running as the much more fluffy *Midsomer Mysteries*, but since that's unlikely, a trilogy will be good.

Edited by nyxy

Regarding BBCA edits: IIRC there was as exhaustive list on the TwoP thread which is, alas, now gone. They didn't affect the plot so much, but they were some of the great character moments and connective tissue of the show. Like when Mark goes to see the body and someone outside stops him to ask for his signature on a petition. It doesn't advance the plot, but it shows the change in Mark's circumstances and focus as life goes on as normal for others. It's some of Andrew Buchan's best work in the episode.

I don't remember others in detail, but I know after seeing the edited version some things were a bit confusing and when I got the DVD from amazon.uk it became clearer for me. 

Edited by Raingirlkm
  • Love 1

ITV.com (ITV being the channel Broadchurch airs on in Britain) will be streaming Broadchurch, so I'm not waiting until freaking March for BBCA to air it here. I guess the pushback is so the show finishes its run across the pond before America starts it up. PBS does the same for Downton Abbey.

As a total aside, I noticed the ITV player is offering Secret Smile for another 23 days, so if anybody wants to watch a pre-Doctor Who David Tennant be a creepy stalker/rapist/murderer, have at it.

I wonder if Eve Myles's character is a new love interest for Mark Latimer

I hope there will be no new love interest for Mark Latimer.  Maybe Eve Myles will be Alec Hardy's exwife (if they revisit Sandbrook).

ITV.com (ITV being the channel Broadchurch airs on in Britain) will be streaming Broadchurch, so I'm not waiting until freaking March for BBCA to air it here. I guess the pushback is so the show finishes its run across the pond before America starts it up. PBS does the same for Downton Abbey.

As a total aside, I noticed the ITV player is offering Secret Smile for another 23 days, so if anybody wants to watch a pre-Doctor Who David Tennant be a creepy stalker/rapist/murderer, have at it.

Can people in the States use the ITV.com streaming, or is it blocked here?

It is geoblocked so you have to find a way around that. Once you've gotten around that, the ITV site then asks for a valid British Postal Code for those in the region.

As for Broadchurch in the media. David Tennant's on Radio 1 with Matt Edmonson on Sunday, 10am.
(MP3: http://news.david-tennant.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/dtmatted.mp3 )

Then he'll be on Absolute Radio's morning show on Monday, 6AM.
(MP3 of the whole show: http://news.david-tennant.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/absolute120115.mp3)

And he and Olivia Colman will be on the Graham Norton show next Friday night.

Friday morning, Matthew Gravelle and Arthur Darvill were on  This Morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRbKEbL7Uvg

Edited by staveDarsky

I love it when DT goes on Absolute Radio, he always sounds like he's having a blast with those guys.

For those folks in North America, the Broadchurch episodes are being shown one week after the UK airing, so the delay is not really much at all.

Alas, that's only in Canada. BBC America won't start showing season two until March 4. I'm assuming it has something to do with ITV contracts and/or availability, because BBCA has been trying harder to narrow the airdate gap after their success with the Doctor Who near-simulcasts.

For those who missed it, David Tennant won a special recognition award the other night at the National Television awards. Before that happened, he and Olivia presented an award and then gave this interview.

There's mention of Olivia knowing all through the filming of series 1 who'd dunnit and that she'd lied to David. Well, guess what she was doing in this interview? He had no idea he was about to get surprised with his special award and she was in the know. Olivia's clearly not to be trusted!

• Love 1

This is probably not the right place for my comment but I don't know where else to put it and I don't want to be spoiled in the season two episodes threads.  Got an e-mail message from BBCA about Broadchurch 2, starting tonight.  I loved season one and have no desire to see another chopped-up version of such a fine show.  So, I'm considering biting the bullet and buying the season on iTunes.  Does anyone know if these will be the episodes in their entirety?  I'm going to assume so because I believe that was the case with season one.  

• Love 1

This is probably not the right place for my comment but I don't know where else to put it and I don't want to be spoiled in the season two episodes threads.  Got an e-mail message from BBCA about Broadchurch 2, starting tonight.  I loved season one and have no desire to see another chopped-up version of such a fine show.  So, I'm considering biting the bullet and buying the season on iTunes.  Does anyone know if these will be the episodes in their entirety?  I'm going to assume so because I believe that was the case with season one.  

iTunes should be the real deal, didn't know BBCA chopped it down for broadcast.  I can say that it'd definitely be worth getting all the episodes so you can watch it all as you like. I think a lot of problems I had with the season stemmed from the serialized nature of the season and some episodes felt like nothing happened whereas it'd be bookmarked by good plot moving episodes.

(edited)

Yes. I just checked iTunes (Canada) and the running times are 46-48 minutes, which fits with the ITV running time.

They don't yet have episode 8 up. I see you can get the whole season/series for a few bucks less than buying each individually.

Edited by staveDarsky
iTunes should be the real deal, didn't know BBCA chopped it down for broadcast.

Brutally.  If you can believe it, they cut out the scene in the last episode where Mark visits Joe in jail.  One of the most impactful scenes of the entire season.  That someone thought it was a good idea to cut that out astonishes me.

• Love 1

David Tennant's at a fan convention this weekend --  a rare thing for him to do. There are some photos and short video clips from his Q&A session on the convention's instagram account.

https://instagram.com/wizardworld/

The questions were all about Dr Who, Marvel Comics or Harry Potter.

... And it's just been announced he's going to be at the Wizard World in Philadelphia on May 10 with Billie Piper, his first costar from Doctor Who. I wonder if Marvel Comics is getting him to make fan appearances in advance of the AKA Jessica Jones series.

Edited by staveDarsky
  • Love 1