Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: ...not Top Carrot

In Pog Form
  • Start Topic

Just saw John Tesar on Home and Family (Hallmark channel) while I was waiting at the drs. this morning.  I was seated a bit away from the tv, but looked like he was demonstrating sous-vide and he has a book coming out.  What he cooked looked good!  He was very smooth in front of the cameras and very personable, but I think I did detect some hand shaky nervousness when plating LOL.  I was glad to see him.  Got called in for surgery so I missed the rest, but it looked like John Schneider (Dukes of Hazzard for us 40+, Smallville for the under 30s) was there!!!!!  Who knew?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Yes, John has just published his very first cookbook. I've ordered mine. :)

Is it called Knife?  Like I said I was a bit far away so I couldn't see or hear very much.  Please let us know how it is, I always like to get stuff by TC alums.  I have both books from the show, and Carla Halls', and a few more.  I'm always interested! Thanks!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (should I be on Top Chef in the Media?) because I have zero idea about internet etiquette , but Home & Family is on again and today there is Shirley!  I still love Shirley.  She seems more relaxed now.  Not sure why she's there, I was on the phone when she came on, but it is good to see her!  I may have to start watching this show.  I NEVER watch that show because it is too perky for me, but maybe I'm just old and grumpy.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, chiaros said:

What are these "season passes"?

On Uverse my previous instruction to record TC as a series - left over from last season - remains active and it has already scheduled itself to record the new season on DVR, without my doing a thing, and has scheduled the recording for the full duration of the episode, some 1 hr 15+minutes, I believe, all by itself.  It even recorded that "preview" episode without my even being aware that it was being aired.

Moved my response here since it's not about promos...  My Xfinity (Comcast) DVR works just how you describe here.  It's never missed anything that others seem to miss, not for this show or for other shows.  Sometimes it picks up even more than I want - e.g. the "Social" shows/reruns of Project Runway.

• Love 2

My Tivo typically never misses anything and was set to record the second episode , so there was just some glitch with Tivo. I can't stand Xfinity's interface and have a Tivo since they came out in 1999 so it' what I am used to using.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

Chopped, maybe? It would be whatever cooking competition show has been running the longest on FN or Bravo.

I'm thinking it was TC.  Maybe Padma's first season (I thankfully missed Season 1 w/Katie Lee).  I remember Padma always saying "Hands Up, Utensils Down" at the end of the QF's.

• Love 4

I keep having to avert my eyes when TC shows that shot of Padma at the beginning of most episodes, clad in that frilly blue-and-white outfit with her left leg exposed and STICKING OUT basically from the level of her crotch. She looks like a can-can dancer slumming and wh*ring her way as the sexpot (NOT!!!) de jour.

9 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

A high school friend is in a job in Lexington that would require people get in touch to set things up.... :). I’ll ask him to let me know when he thinks they’ll be in town.

Thanks.  I think that's a great "excuse" for a road trip!

3 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I’m in WNC, swing by and we’ll ride together. :)

Sounds like a great plan!  I've met some fantastic "internet friends"....in fact, I just married one on Tuesday!  (After ten years together, I might add).

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Congratulations Blonde Gator!  

BGL-exactly-GIF.gif

We are sublimely happy.  Thank you for your felicitations, I really appreciate it!

BTW...can you make it to KY for the next TC filming?  How much fun would that be....a whole bunch of us?

Edited by Blonde Gator
2 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

Sounds like a great plan!  I've met some fantastic "internet friends"....in fact, I just married one on Tuesday!  (After ten years together, I might add).

Congratulations!! Married on Mardi Gras! 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I think it would be awesome of a whole group of us could go to KY and be diners/critics at one of their challenges. We could all wear PTV t-shirts. :D

You should contact the producers and tell them you have a solid group of fans who would travel their to do that!!!  I'd be in.

8 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Here’s something weird I found out. Katsuji said they don’t let them keep their chef jackets. He had to buy one from Bravo (I did the same thing). 

This is nuts.  They couldn't even give them the jackets they have been wearing?  

On 2/16/2018 at 6:00 PM, cooksdelight said:

I think it would be awesome of a whole group of us could go to KY and be diners/critics at one of their challenges. We could all wear PTV t-shirts. :D

Oh hell yeah!  I don't even live close but that would not stop me!  

I tried getting in when the show was in San Francisco.  No way.  Biakbiak could provide the details better than I remember them, but the spots were all taken practically as soon as it was announced.  It amazed me just how many people watch this show and are big enough fans to want to be part of it.

I sure wish you ladies/gents good luck.  I think it would be awesome if all of you could be extras!  The rest of us could critique your performances and table manners!   lol  Go for it!!!

Edited by Lura
added sentence
  • Love 3

Hungry  for more Bryan V., I avoided all deadlines and and responsibilities yesterday and gifted myself with a Top Chef season 6 marathon. No regrets. I finally see what all of the fuss is about regarding the Volt brothers.

Today, I started watching season 4 (Chicago- Stephanie Izard).

In comparing those seasons with this one (15), it's clear that the delicious nastiness, backstabbing, egomaniac, douche-baggery is missing this year.

Our current season is really enlightened, kind-hearted, accepting , nurturing, supportive....and pretty boring. 

Our biggest plot twists were about plastic wrap (Brother), a girl with an ego and something to prove (Claudette), and an older contestant annoyed with the young ones (Tanya). All of this would have faded in the background of previous seasons with hardly a blip. Producers had little to work with to amp up the nasty factor this year and creatively exaggerated a whole lot of nothing.

Maybe it was Chris' 12 steps that set the Kumbaya tone? Maybe kitchen environments have evolved? Maybe Bravo thinks audiences prefer the mature and thoughtful contestant over the steal-your-ingredients-and-turn-off-your-oven-when-you-are-not-looking contestant? 

Not sure. What I do know is that the contestants that were so naively full of themselves devoid of any compassion who generated conflicts everywhere they went  made for some darn good tv.

Oh, and the food looked better too.

• Love 4

I might remember the lemonade fried chicken and biscuits, because I couldn't figure out what the lemonade does to the chicken.

Otherwise it was a lot of Mexican dishes with ingredients I've never heard of, blah blah, pasta again Bruce, blah blah, hi Kwame, blah blah le Bernadin, blah blah, hello LeeAnne, goodbye LeeAnne, blah blah, get woke, blah blah cake in a snow oven, blah blah,  bull testicles in the mountains (in no particular order).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I honestly cannot remember any standout dish this year. Except Carrie’s cake in a cup, and Bruce’s pasta made with a mandoline.

I thought Adrienne's deconstructed gumbo looked pretty fandamntastic.

Speaking of gumbo and things from LA....Isaac Toups is still my favorite ever.  I am dyin' to get out to Louisiana and eat at his restaurant.  Maybe for 3 days in a row....although last time I did that (in Mexico with Mole Negro)....I foundered, like a bloody horse!

2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I’ve never used lemonade to marinate or cook chicken. I use equal parts white vinegar and melted butter, 1 TB salt and pepper, each, per 1 cup of the liquid.

The lemonade marinade likely replicates the acid in the buttermilk or, as you say, the vinegar.  Lemon/chicken is always delish. 

Lately I've been making Tyler Florence's fried chicken....where you infuse the oil with fresh herbs (living in Florida, whacking herbs is a necessity), with lots of seasoning in the flour.  It's pretty rockin' delicious. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LeighLeigh said:

I might remember the lemonade fried chicken and biscuits, because I couldn't figure out what the lemonade does to the chicken

On Pack Your Knives podcast Chris said it's lemon, lemon rind, garlic, salt, thyme and a "shit ton" of sage, marinade for a day. 

• Love 2

I have a question for a friend: she is allergic to cinnamon. Things that require it just don’t taste the same, such as apple pie or spice cakes. Does anyone know of something else she can use that will give the same flavor? Her mouth and throat go numb if she injests any, and she coughs for hours.

On 2/24/2018 at 4:34 PM, Blonde Gator said:

Thanks, great info!  Sage is to chicken as basil is to tomatoes, IMO.

Heh.

To me, I tend to associate chicken with cumin (in non-Western European cooking, esp. w/ Indian-influenced cooking) or with garlic, or thyme & parsley; or ginger & scallions in Chinese-influenced cuisines. For me, sage is associated with things like pork in Western-type cuisines.

Edited by chiaros
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I have a question for a friend: she is allergic to cinnamon. Things that require it just don’t taste the same, such as apple pie or spice cakes. Does anyone know of something else she can use that will give the same flavor? Her mouth and throat go numb if she injests any, and she coughs for hours.

I don't know if this will help at all but I found this article.  It is long on ads but seems to have a good starting point.....

https://www.livestrong.com/article/524213-what-spice-can-i-use-to-replace-cinnamon-for-persons-that-are-allergic-to-cinnamon/

I haven't been able to watch this season at all, and I miss all my forum friends!  I've gotta catch up somehow or on to next season!